Well, episode over. Thoughts so far:

-Rarity got screwed this episode. She got replaced by Carrot Top for the Derpy scene. :scream::P

-Liked the Zecora cameo, it wasn't too overused nor too underused. Also liked the Nightmare Moon cameo. :smug:

-Luna getting mixed reactions from the ponies is probably gonna be somewhere around the same for the fandom. At least parts of it. I think the weird thing I personally think about Luna right now is her constant use of plural nouns for herself. Is she multiple entities? Or was it just the old-fashioned tongue speaking? About that, I liked that she was socially awkward on that level.

Finally, I'm glad she's adorable when meek, though still has some spine.

-Fluttershy got lucky. She didn't dress up for the event yet got a scene anyway. :eek:

-Episode 3 slightly spoiled this for me: I was expecting, subconsciously, that this episode would have near non-stop humor/awesome, but it was paced like a previous season episode. That's a good thing, not every episode can/should be like Lesson Zero.

-Luna is still cool. (Mostly because I can still use her in my fanimation in good conscience)

-The fact that nearly everypony had their own costumes was a great visual effect. Also, the CMC made appearances, yet had no dialogue. Pipsqueak probably needed the airtime for this episode though: he's not gonna get a lot more in the future, I think.

-Rainbow Dash was practically the antagonist this episode. The prank at the scene with Pinkie, Twi and Luna was uncalled for. :roll: Even if it did help resolve the situation.

I'll need more viewings to properly digest this episode, but overall good stuff. 2 more weeks and it's time for Rarity. And Sweetie Belle.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing! I'm kinda sad we didn't see Celestia with Luna. I wanted to see how they act around each other. Hopefully this won't be Luna's only appearance in the season, hope she makes at least some cameos every once in a while.

Maybe Rarity went to some fancy party, some kind of high society event. She seems to be the kind to care about those.

-Luna getting mixed reactions from the ponies is probably gonna be somewhere around the same for the fandom. At least parts of it. I think the weird thing I personally think about Luna right now is her constant use of plural nouns for herself. Is she multiple entities? Or was it just the old-fashioned tongue speaking? About that, I liked that she was socially awkward on that level.

yeah, that's old timey speak. She uses lots of olde english, too.

It's just the old fashioned tongue. The "royal we".

-Fluttershy got lucky. She didn't dress up for the event yet got a scene anyway. :eek:

It's a shame, I was hoping she'd have a cutesy animal costume.

-Rainbow Dash was practically the antagonist this episode. The prank at the scene with Pinkie, Twi and Luna was uncalled for. :!: :roll: Even if it did help resolve the situation.

And Luna didn't even comment on her costume :/

I'll need more viewings to properly digest this episode, but overall good stuff. 2 more weeks and it's time for Rarity. And Sweetie Belle.

2 more weeks? It's not another skip week is it?

Well, I'm glad they toned down the ridiculous of the animation, and this episdode does give me hope for the future but, for some reason, I found it kind of underwhelming. I think it might be because the point of the episode was to introduce a minor character and not much else. But, for what it was, it was perfect. I really liked their version of Luna and I think she contrasts perfectly with Celestia.

2 more weeks? It's not another skip week is it?

Yes, the next episode is November 5th and is called "Sisterhooves Social" there will be an episode right after that one on the 12th, after that, we don't know.

Also man I am scening some many changes for the RP :blah: Also now taking bets on the first Pipsqueak app. :P

I love the ending... with Luna scaring Dash and all... That just makes me smile. ;)

But and am I the only one who's bugged by Spike's dragon costume? I mean... what is up with that?

I was joking the other day when I suggested that maybe he thought he was a pony on some level... but maybe I was onto something... :-o

Otherwise, what exactly is he thinking?

• Like 1

Yes, the next episode is November 5th and is called "Sisterhooves Social" there will be an episode right after that one on the 12th, after that, we don't know.

Dear Hub,

WHAT. THE. HELL.

Your faithful viewer,

Diego Havoc

This.

I half expected Celestia to come in near the end and help Luna with trying to fit in. She's the only one that would be able to relate to the culture gap over a thousand years.

It's been how long since they defeated Nightmare Moon? And not once did Celestia say to her sister "Hey, we should talk about the whole "Royal Canterlot voice" thing"?

Trollestia at her best-ia.

• Like 1

But and am I the only one who's bugged by Spike's dragon costume? I mean... what is up with that?

I was joking the other day when I suggested that maybe he thought he was a pony on some level... but maybe I was onto something...

Ahh, he's just bein' Spike! He's one crazy pony :3

But nah, I'm sure Spike (and the writers) were just being silly. Halloween Costumes (or Nightmare Night costumes) are one of those things you don't take overly seriously.

Was it just me, or did this episode feel just a little rushed? I don't know why, no rarity (Or even a line in the show that showed where Rarity might be. For example she had a big order of Outfits to make and a deadline. That would at least have given us a reason why she wasn't there) To me it just felt kinda rushed. But, all in all I really liked the episode.

Grabbing some costume pics from Ponibooru (which is running remarkably fast considering it's just after a new episode) spoilered for your convienience:

Mr. and Mrs. Cake as Raggedy Ann and Andy

74669%20-%20Cup_Cake%20Mrs_Cake%20carrot_cake%20luna_eclipsed%20mr_cake%20screencap.png

*snerk*

74664%20-%20Halloween%20Sarah_Palin%20luna_eclipsed.jpg

Some guy from jaws (plus Carrot Top looking very nice as a devil in the BG there :3)

74663%20-%20Hooper%20background_pony%20jaws%20nightmare_night%20sir_colton_vines_iii.png

SCORPION WINS! FATALITY:

74670%20-%20ermac%20mortal_kombat%20ninja.png

Some more BG ponies:

74662%20-%20Carrot_Top%20Seafoam%20luna_eclipsed%20screencap%20spike%20tagme.jpg

Also this:

74656%20-%20Nightmare_Moon%20caps_Lock%20episode_30%20luna.jpg

• Like 1

Pinkie Pie encompasses the spirit of all of us on Halloween. Crazy and always up for free candy.

Anyway, I liked the episode; Luna's royalty out of touch, the fear angle, the Pumpkin Chucking. Though the jump from "we're horseapplesting our pants" scared to "we're scared because it's fun" at the end was rather quick.

All in all, this is one of my favorites as it feels different; the colors were a lot cooler then normal seeing as it was night time and it was nicely contrasted by the bright costumes. It was the festive side of halloween.

And as a note I'd love to nitpick as to how long the Nightmare Moon legend has been used in Nightmare Night if no one knew who she was outside the MAre in the Moon legend. But it was just so awesomely presented I can't not love it.

Also for a Princess trying not to scare people Luna sure does like to arrive in a swirl of dark clouds, thunder, bats, and a gothic chariot pulled by demon ponies sporting bat-dragon wings. Image Luna, Image! Sure it's cold in the upper atmosphere but the cloak didn't help.

All Luna and young Celestia fan art/fics must be re-done like so:

74717%20-%20Alfalfa_monster%20artist%3AEgophiliac%20celestia%20luna%20parody.png

lol-face.jpg

AWESOME COMIC REMAKE!!!

on the ep:

"Too old for FREE CANDY? *CACAW* NEVEEERRR!!!"

Big Mac as some creepy butler!

"great costume"-"Thanks! I'm a dragon"

OpoQQ.jpg?1302279173

DERPY!!

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG ZECORA!! DAT COSTUME!!

soooo... bat winged pegasi?? or costumed pegasi?

Luna's entrance was amazing

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR TERROR

"Dont worry Princess, Fluttershy has the sweetest little voice." ...*MURDERSHY ENSUES!!*

Terrorized Fluttershy was cute

"HA HA, THE FUN HAS BEEN DOUBLED!!" <- Hngh!!

live spiders are badass, Luna is a badass.

*awkward Luna making peace with Pinkie* < HHHHNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

GODDAMMIT RAINBOW DASH :evil: :evil:

"Pinkie Pie you're a genius!" "No I'm not, I'm a chicken!"

• Like 2

Luna is wonderful! I don't read fanfics, so there was no disappoinment to worry about from shattered expectations.

The other star of this episode is the background ponies. It's so much fun to see e'rypony in a dis-guise! Derpy, the paper bag monster; Mayor, the guy with the John 3:16 sign; the CMC, and their Klassic Kostumes from Kinema... Cinema; The Raggedy cakes; Candy-Mane Kenobi. The animators had fun with this. But here's the question: who were the "Sarah Palin devil" pony and the ghost pony? Also, who were the country musician ponies up on stage?

I used to have a hard time picking a favorite pony, but more and more, I can't deny Pinkie.

• Like 2

What I have learned:

Star Swirl the Bearded - A powerful magical user from the "Pre Classical Era" of Equestrian history. Obscure to most ponies. Does have a shelf in the library of Canterlot named after him though. Luna recognized the costume, which means either he lived over a thousand years ago or she is just learned.

Nightmare Night is obviously created due to the events of Nightmare Moon's attempted great coup a thousand years ago. Not known is how long after the holiday was thought up. In additional to candy, peoples do love the scary pranks and to be scared, which explains why Dash did what she did, and why Pinky did what she did. As with all traditions, some stories of what happened have evolved over time, the primary example of this is Nightmare Moon actually eating ponies.

Derpy gets more cameo! I like how they do not have her speak.

Zebras are capable of alchemical magic and using magical dust (and probably items) for magical spells. They do not appear to have the natural ability to command magic like unicorns do.

Luna either has her own special guard with bat wings or they were illusions (or normal pegasus done up that way through some magical spell).

Luna's Personality: The alicorn princesses do indeed see themselves (and possibly all alicorn) as royalty. Luna in a way represents the way things were a thousand years ago. Contemporary pony society is undoubtedly different and Celestia has evolved along with the times to meet the needs of her contemporary subjects. Luna though is suffering from culture shock, she speaks with the old accent and in the old ways of addressing subjects (it could be also Celestia never addressed subjects with such double-voice yelling in the deep past, and instead it is just Luna who feels they should have a more formal style of ruling, such as possibly kissing of the hoof).

I like her personality, it shows why she became Nightmare Moon, the shared personality traits are obvious. Luna seems to enjoy her role as "Princess of the Night", she has a darker persona than Celestia (who represents the day), but like her sister, ultimately good.

Ye Olde Canterlot - I love it, and the CMC thread has been validated when they thought folks from Canterlot "still spoke that way". :)

I know a lot of fans speak of "The Luna Republic" as a democratic alternative to the monarchy of Celestia, however, given how Luna is in the show, I could see her instead as a symbol of pony traditionalists.

Trottingham may be Pony-British in culture.

Also: Dinky the firepony! Sweetie Belle as Lady Dracula, Abby as the Bride of Frankenstein and Scootaloo as the Werewolf!

• Like 4