My general thoughts on the episide? Awesome! Luna's canon persona was unexpected, and in a way it's both contraststing and similar to fanon portrayal; She can still manage to be timid and lovable, but also has some backbone to he. Me gusta!

And Zecora! She finally showed up again! And with (what might be) alchemy! I'm crossing my fingers to see if she shows up in more episodes this season. She's one of my favorite characters (if the avatar wasn't obvious xP).

Just finished the new episode. What a brilliant episode too, loved every minute of it! I have no problem with Luna's character at all, thought it was a really nice take. Her speaking in Olde Equestrian really was a nice touch. And it's nice to see the team was able to go with Lauren Faust's original idea of having Luna represent the night and darkness. It makes for a really interesting character, considering Luna is nice (or at least tries to be) yet she lives for being scary.

My only major complaint is still no musical number. Where's all the songs Daniel Ingram promised us? I was really hoping for a dark, operatic number featuring Luna. :C

Also best Derpy cameo ever.

• Like 1

Rainbow Dash dressed as a Shadow Bolt! Amazing! Plus, all she was doing was flying around and pranking people!

I had so many face-palms watching poor poor awkward Luna, asking herself why she was being feared while she was basically running around firing off shot guns. I was almost expecting a Fluttershy-style 'LOVE ME'.

This episode turned out better than I anticipated. I was worried that they might screw up Luna and it might turn out as an epic fail, but it seems it's an epic win. No mater where I go, tons of post from satisfied bronies. Before this episode bronies where in doubt. There were bronies who did not accept Luna because she wasn't canon, but now every one seems to like Luna, especially her way of speaking... :Luna:

• Like 1

G-G-GOD... T-THA-THAT AVATAR!!

I demand you give me a link to a high res version good sir.

also regarding the lack of musical number... they will come, it sure would have been cool for Luna to have her own, but, again, time constraints either way i dont think this is the last we will see of Luna, there just will be more chances.

Agreed. The guards were quite awesome. :D

I guess she has her own special subset of guardsponies, specially outfitted for night? I mean, they wouldn't just be that way for Nightmare Night, considering Luna's intentions...

I wonder if the Luna guards will get implemented in the RP...

I thought they did a great job with Luna's characterisation. You could clearly see how she had the potential to transform into Nightmare Moon from her reaction to the other ponies rejecting her. Behind the outward confidence (which you'd expect from a royal figure) she seemed to have a really deep desire for acceptance which I think is why her reaction was so extreme. I liked how they addressed the issue of her trying to fit back into a world that she had been away from for a thousand years. The archaic language and the adherance to traditions that had long since evolved were a great way of demonstrating this. I thought she was quite likeable...plus THE VOICE was pretty awesome! :smirk: Personally I thought Spike in a dragon suit was a work of genius! I quite liked Pipsqueak, but then I may be biased because I'm also a BritPony... It'll be interesting to see if he appears in future episodes as they've already made the effort to write him into this one in a fairly significant way. And yay for Dinky! (I'm sure that was her in the firefighter costume)

Pipsqueak seemed kinda arbitrary. He didn't really have a role here. He was just introduced, then tossed a few extra lines. He alsohad to compete with Luna's introduction (more or less). I wonder if Hasbro requested he be there? I can see them wanting a male foal to market given the show's broad appeal.

• Like 1

Pipsqueak seemed kinda arbitrary. He didn't really have a role here.

He had a bit of a role. He was the one who showed Luna that the residents of Ponyville liked her.

Him asking her if she'd bring Nightmare Night back was what showed her that they liked it when she scared them.

Not a big role, but he was still important to the episode.

Pipsqueak seemed kinda arbitrary. He didn't really have a role here. He was just introduced, then tossed a few extra lines. He alsohad to compete with Luna's introduction (more or less). I wonder if Hasbro requested he be there? I can see them wanting a male foal to market given the show's broad appeal.

Agreed. I think his role could have been easily and more effectively played by one or all of the CMCs. And because this episode wasn't about him; we have no chance to find out anything about him and his personality. If you don't know a character then you don't care what they have to say, so I felt that he was just an annoying distraction. It makes sens that Hasbro is trying to appeal to male audiences, but I think that their making the same mistake as a lot of other franchises make. Just because his male, doesn't mean that males will automatically identify with him. You see a similar thing in scifi with the annoying kid character that gets introduced when the creators realise that a lot of kids watch their show. But, in the end, this show is about selling toys, so you have to expect some arbitrary characters and vehicles to be shoehorned into the script.

Hasbro already has older male fans on board though... so are we to assume this is an attempt to get young boys to watch the show? I somehow don't see that working too well... :roll:

I personally thought Pipsqueak was harmless, and I kind of liked his accent and stuff. I wouldn't complain too loudly if he got brought back at some point.

Hasbro already has older male fans on board though... so are we to assume this is an attempt to get young boys to watch the show? I somehow don't see that working too well... :roll:

That usually doesn't matter. Most scifi shows that use a similar tactic for kids already have the kids on board as well. I don't think it ever really works but it sounds good in a board room.

Pipsqueak's role was to be the new foal in town, so they'd have an excuse to fuel exposition on what Nightmare Night was all about. It's a very standard plot device.

I don't think so. Zecora explained it well enough to ALL the children while Pinkie tagged along. The exposition scene didn't need him at all.