Yes.

And far as the whole hair thing, it's quite simple...

Since Luna's banishment, a magic, expensive, hairspray was invented that suspended one's mane to flow like Celestia's. When Luna came back, she was not wearing said hair product. I imagine the first errend the princesses made was Celestia's daily trip to the hair salon. I bet that hairstylist pony is well off.

5013%20-%20animated%20applejack%20caption%20dude%20dude_what%20what.gif
  • Like 1

I thought this was a fantastic episode. I was rather worried by the style of Lesson Zero, both in animation and in characterisation, but Luna Eclipsed has definitely renewed my confidence in Season Two. The animation felt truer to form than some of the scenes in Lesson Zero - I do wonder if the animation for Luna Eclipsed was done earlier than that for Lesson Zero. Anyway...

There were lots of little things I loved, but the big one for me has to be Luna, of course. I really like the idea that Nightmare Moon is actually quite similar to regular Princess Luna, the main difference being the evil, rather than the aesthetics. Gentle and compassionate Celestia is wonderful, but I like having a scary, dark Luna to balance her.

I'm reasonably positive about Pipsqueak's appearance. I think we'll be seeing him again, and I do have a little bit of trepidation that he'll be shoehorned in excessively, but I more expect that he'll slot in alongside Twist, DT&SS and S&S to round out the CMC's class. The way they all showed up together at the start of Season Two suggests to me that any CMC episodes will involve a more stable peer group than what we saw in Call of the Cutie, which I like. He's also probably the first pony ever in Equestrian history to say that he likes Luna more than Celestia. If he'd been alive a thousand years ago, Nightmare Moon might never have existed.

On a minor note, it's also great to see Zecora again. It's very nice that she's not only allowed to mingle freely in Ponyville society, but parents actually trust her with their foals. Sure, we never actually got to see how that happened, but I imagine Twilight's influence had a lot to do with it. I thought her magic powder display was pretty cool, as it links in with Zecora's established skills, in a way that doesn't quite cross into the realm of unicorn-style magic.

Well, sticking to Faust's explanation of why Luna was small and powerless after her defeat as Nightmare Moon, she probably just didn't have enough intrinsic magical energy flowing from her body to make her mane cool=looking.

As for the bat-winged pegasi, I sez they're a new species.

I agree. A rare night time one, since most ponies seem to be intrinsically diurnal.

I thought this was a fantastic episode. I was rather worried by the style of Lesson Zero, both in animation and in characterisation, but Luna Eclipsed has definitely renewed my confidence in Season Two. The animation felt truer to form than some of the scenes in Lesson Zero - I do wonder if the animation for Luna Eclipsed was done earlier than that for Lesson Zero. Anyway...

I suspect it was the animators having fun with their craft in both episodes in different ways. In Lesson Zero they got to play with macabre and exaggerated expressions, in Luna Eclipsed they were having fun with scenery and costumes.

• Like 1

I suspect it was the animators having fun with their craft in both episodes in different ways. In Lesson Zero they got to play with macabre and exaggerated expressions, in Luna Eclipsed they were having fun with scenery and costumes.

...and with lighting, wind, "evliness" effects... and Pinkie Pie's chicken sfx.

10866461.jpg

SUDDEN FRIDGE LOGIC

So Luna talks in royal equestrian huh?

So why didn't Nightmare Moon?

If I had to guess, I'd say Nightmare Moon has observed Equestria from her moon prison, and did know how the society changed, but Luna has no recollection of it, maybe?

But yeah, that thought popped into my head, too.

There is a plot gap between Nightmare Moon and Luna in this episode. It's not fair to speculate it though. I mean, If Nightmare Moon talked like that in the pilot, it would have been weird for everypony watching, and it wouldn't make any sense at all.

hi hi

Well I guess traditionally, speaking in royal equestrian was a sign of propriety. As nightmare moon, she held nothing but disdain for her "subjects," and did not intend to treat them properly at all.

^ This is a good explanation. NMM wouldn't care for tradition at all; in fact she would probably be against it what with the whole... world domination gig.

I liked Luna Eclipsed, but I think Luna speaking in royal equestrian was...wrong.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but there's about a year's time difference between her first appearence and Luna Eclipsed, right?

So, wouldn't someone in Canterlot have corrected her, even if she IS royalty?

Also, why was her appearance even a surprise to everypony?

She's royalty, wouldn't somepony have mentioned "Hey, Luna's gonna be in town for the celebration?" at the beginning of the episode or something?

maybe i'm over-thinking this, but her having difficulties making friends ought to have been portrayed more sensibly...and not so loud.

Nightmare moon showed up on the Summer solstice, and I'd assume that this episode takes place sometime before the winter solstice. given the weird timeline of the show, it could very well been less than half a year since Luna returned.

just adding this into the conversation~

Pony Logic:

Good job harnessing the elements of harmony, girls, and bringing the sun and Celestia back to Equestria! Now how can we remember this day? I know! Let's make a creepy-ass statue of nightmare moon just inside the forest on Ponyville.

Makes total sense.

Pony Logic:

Good job harnessing the elements of harmony, girls, and bringing the sun and Celestia back to Equestria! Now how can we remember this day? I know! Let's make a creepy-ass statue of nightmare moon just inside the forest on Ponyville.

Makes total sense.

I would say that the statue of Nightmare Moon was built before she was banished to the moon. I assumed that Nightmare Night was a long standing tradition based on the fear of Nightmare Moon's returns. I figured that the celebration had gone on for so many years that Equestria didn't even think to cancel it after Nightmare Moon's defeat.

I would so support this. I'd love to roleplay one of these batwinged pegasi. What would you call them anyway? Nightmares?

I discovered where the bat winged horses came from..

JAPAN!

peacock.jpg

In all practicality I found a brief mention of bat-winged hellhorses called Pyrippus, who pulled Pluto's chariot, which depending on the depiction or more or less reptilian, but I think the name works as a standin given Nightmare is female sounding. Pyrippi in plural.

I would say that the statue of Nightmare Moon was built before she was banished to the moon. I assumed that Nightmare Night was a long standing tradition based on the fear of Nightmare Moon's returns. I figured that the celebration had gone on for so many years that Equestria didn't even think to cancel it after Nightmare Moon's defeat.

But they didn't fear Nightmare's return. Twilight was the only one who predicted it.

Or maybe they just forgot the reality of Nightmare Moon over time when it became 'just an ol' mare's tale.'