I liked Luna Eclipsed, but I think Luna speaking in royal equestrian was...wrong.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but there's about a year's time difference between her first appearence and Luna Eclipsed, right?

So, wouldn't someone in Canterlot have corrected her, even if she IS royalty?

Also, why was her appearance even a surprise to everypony?

She's royalty, wouldn't somepony have mentioned "Hey, Luna's gonna be in town for the celebration?" at the beginning of the episode or something?

maybe i'm over-thinking this, but her having difficulties making friends ought to have been portrayed more sensibly...and not so loud.

I actully imagined an Equestria where it was primarily an aristocracy during Celestia/Luna's joint rule for a fan fic, so just listening to the Royal Canterlot Voice made me smile

Or maybe they just forgot the reality of Nightmare Moon over time when it became 'just an ol' mare's tale.'

I'd say that would be the case. A lot of people don't even know how holloween started. Imagine how hard it would be to remember the origins of a yearly tradition after a thousand years.

Something else I noticed is that the first time Twilight Sparkle goes to talk to Luna, Luna is seen pushing away a piece of candy. What do you think that's all about?

Something else I noticed is that the first time Twilight Sparkle goes to talk to Luna, Luna is seen pushing away a piece of candy. What do you think that's all about?

ermmm.... perhaps that she is feeling down??

c'mon people, this is just too much into it, not EVERYTHING has to be a deep introspection on the char's psychology.

• Like 1

ermmm.... perhaps that she is feeling down??

c'mon people, this is just too much into it, not EVERYTHING has to be a deep introspection on the char's psychology.

I know that not every little thing has imagery tied to it. I just thought this was kind of standout. Almost like it symbolized something. And the whole give candy to NMM makes sense allegorically, it doesn't make sense in the bigger picture, and I sometimes wonder why they are alliterating kids to give away some of their candy. Almost like a subliminal message to kids to not eat all of their candy.

Almost like a subliminal message to kids to not eat all of their candy.

actually, I was thinking this when I saw that. I figured that it was put in on purpose for that reason.

on a side note, when I was little, my parents used to give us the option to give up all of our candy except ten pieces and whetever we could eat in half an hour in exchange for a toy of our choice under $10. looking back, the offer wasn't worth it. i shouldn't have given in every year

Pony Logic:

Good job harnessing the elements of harmony, girls, and bringing the sun and Celestia back to Equestria! Now how can we remember this day? I know! Let's make a creepy-ass statue of nightmare moon just inside the forest on Ponyville.

Makes total sense.

But they didn't fear Nightmare's return. Twilight was the only one who predicted it.

Or maybe they just forgot the reality of Nightmare Moon over time when it became 'just an ol' mare's tale.'

That statue could be up to a thousand years old and given part of the tradition surrounding it and the night is to leave a tribute of candy in order to prevent her from consuming you (as a pony), suggests much of what was thought about Nightmare Moon was based on myth. So no surprise the story of "Nightmare Moon's Return" was also seen as myth. To me the tribute at the statue is done as part of a cultural holiday based on tradition more than anything else.

• Like 1

So Luna talks in royal equestrian huh?

So why didn't Nightmare Moon?

That's a good question. I guess the Doylist answer is "The writers thought it would be cool, but they hadn't thought of it when they wrote the previous season". Continuity has never been this series's strong point, and honestly, I'm not too bothered by that. I'd prefer that the writers do whatever makes the show awesome, rather than being corralled by what's come before. In fact, Jayson said that they intentionally hadn't decided on some things, like whether Equestria was an entire world or a single nation, in order to avoid closing avenues they want to explore later.

On another note, Nightmare Moon might not use the ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE, but Princess Celestia does on occasion. "TWILIGHT SPARKLE! Meet me in the library." She's a little softer about it, though, as befits her personality.

I am still a fan of Nightmare Moon being an evil spirit that Luna allowed to possess her. It would explain the later ego and the differences between NNM and Luna (other than the whole 'evil' thing).

• Like 1

I am still a fan of Nightmare Moon being an evil spirit that Luna allowed to possess her. It would explain the later ego and the differences between NNM and Luna (other than the whole 'evil' thing).

I leaned that way before this episode, but now I can see an argument against it as well. Luna's impulse, when frustrated, wasn't to double-down and to try and make friends anyway, but to pull away and treat the ponies that rejected her with scorn. This echoes her behavior 1,000 years ago. Perhaps she posses an internal magic energy that she lost control of when she gave into her darker emotions, such as happened with Anakin Skywalker succumbing to the Dark Side and becoming somebody else -- Darth Vader. Darth Vader's transformation had external influences, but ultimately came down to him, and his inability to control powerful magic any longer. Perhaps so with Nightmare Moon?

hi hi

Thats impressive Acynder. I thought the "She's and evil enchantress," song was a dead giveaway. :)

Ok, so I've probably watched this episode a dozen times now, playing it in the background while I draw or whatever, and it just gets funnier and funnier every single time. I think my favorite part now is the bit with Fluttershy. Twilight slamming the door in front of her always makes me laugh.

• Like 1

hi hi

Thats impressive Acynder. I thought the "She's and evil enchantress," song was a dead giveaway. :)

Ok, so I've probably watched this episode a dozen times now, playing it in the background while I draw or whatever, and it just gets funnier and funnier every single time. I think my favorite part now is the bit with Fluttershy. Twilight slamming the door in front of her always makes me laugh.

That's outrageous.

I think the most I've seen of one episode is three times.

I have stuff to do, but that's all going to change soon.

I've noticed that when you see Mr and Mrs.Cake in the background. There dressed up as Raggedy Ann and Andy. And the Applebloom was Frankenstein, Scootaloo was a Werewolf, And Sweetie Belle was Dracula.

I think Applebloom was actually the Bride of Frankenstein. One of the three was at least...

I think the episodes are only getting better and better, though they have a very different feel to the first season. This one in particular I liked because of the variety of themes and decent writing. I suppose a Luna comparison is inevitable though, so I may as well spit it out. I was happy with it. She acted exactly as I would expect her to given her situation and context, yet was deep enough to emote without contradiction of character. Well executed.

It's probably been said somewhere in here, but I wish you ease in the re imagining of your application, Tales. I'm sure you'll have all sorts of new fun with the character.

On a different note, did anyone else see a pony dressed as a Spy?

• Like 1