Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: Midnight Orchid

Sex: Female

Species: Pegasus

Eye Color: Light Green

(#20B2AA)

Coat: Dark Purple

(#9932CD)

Mane/Tail: Midnight's dark blue mane is kept at about shoulder length, and tends to look windswept

(#00009C)

Physique: About average in size, but incredibly agile

Residence: Midnight was raised in Cloudsdale, but has since moved to Canterlot

Cutie Mark: A black storm cloud emitting crossed yellow lightning bolts

Always being one to push herself and try new things, it came as no surprise that Midnight Orchid was one of the first fillies in her class to earn her cutie mark. She had gone out on her own to practice her stunts over the Everfree Forest, where her parents couldn't scold her for being too reckless. Everything was going so well that she didn't notice one of the natural storms of the forest closing in until it was too late, and she was already caught in it. Rather than flying as fast as she could back toward home, Midnight just saw it as another challenge, and turned to continue practicing amongst the flashing lightning and heavy rain. The winds made keeping on course nearly impossible, but she managed not to lose control, and instead punched a hole straight through the clouds and up into clearer skies. As she looked out over the storm clouds from above, filled with a sense of awe at what she'd just done, she caught a faint flash from over her shoulder, and was thrilled to see that she'd earned her cutie mark!

History: Midnight Orchid was born as an only filly to a pegasus family in Cloudsdale. Her parents were careful not to spoil her with toys or treats, teaching her the value of hard work and earning rewards very early on in life. They always encouraged their "little orchid" to chase after her dreams, telling her she could do anything she wanted if she set her mind to it. The little filly loved to try new things, especially when she did well at them, but it took until her first Wonderbolts show to realize what it was that she wanted to do. Watching those pegasi move through the sky so quickly, so gracefully... that was what she wanted to do! She wanted to have the admiration of an audience, to perform stunning, and seemingly physics-defying feats of aerial acrobatics!

From that day forward, Midnight set out to fulfill her dreams of giving aerial performances, and perhaps even one day joining up with a team. As she grew up, she would find out just how difficult that dream would be to achieve, but that only added to her determination. All the hard work began to pay off when she earned her cutie mark, and again when she graduated from flight school at the top of her class. She would go on to attend the Wonderbolts Academy, although she didn't do as well as she might have hoped, showing just how much she still lacked in terms of discipline.

After attending the Academy, Midnight moved out on her own to Canterlot and took on a job as a weathermare, giving herself plenty of space to practice. After all, as long as she excelled at her job, who was going to complain that she was doing tricks in between removing and placing clouds? Having a natural talent for handling herself well in stormy situations, she usually gets involved with producing heavier storms, whenever the need for one arises.

Character Summary: Midnight is never afraid of speaking in her mind, and can be very blunt in her speech, a combination which can easily lead to her getting into trouble. She is also quick to become impatient, and prefers to see immediate and decisive action being taken over lengthy discussions that, in her own mind, more often produce more problems than they solve. This is especially apparent when it comes to flying, a subject she is extremely critical of both herself and other pegasi in. There is no room in her heart for ponies who are "all talk" and can't back up their bragging, and will only boast for herself if she has complete confidence that she can do what she claims.

Despite her sometimes brash attitude, Midnight is a hard worker who will always put forward her best effort into any task she's given. Any frustration she has just tends to fuel her into trying even harder, sometimes even to the exclusion of her own safety. One line she will almost never cross; however, is when the well-being of others becomes involved, Midnight does everything she can to ensure that others stay safe, even if that means putting herself in danger.

Original Application, for reference:

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Name: Midnight Orchid

Sex: Female

Species: Pegasus

Coat Color: Dark Orchid

(#9932CD)

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Her midnight blue mane is kept at shoulder length, and both her mane and tail tend to be left windswept

(#00009C)

Eye Color: Light Sea Green

(#20B2AA)

Cutie Mark: A skull-shaped, black storm cloud emitting crossed, yellow lightning bolts

Physique: Slim and agile

Origin: Raised in Cloudsdale, currently residing in Canterlot

Motivation: Midnight's dream is to earn her living through stunt flying

Likes: Thunderstorms, orchids, the night sky, flying fast, aerial acrobatics, summer, sour food

Dislikes: Slow fliers, cloudless days, being ignored, winter, sweets

Character Summary:

As a filly, Midnight Orchid was always fascinated by displays of aerial acrobatics, such as those performed by popular groups like the Wonderbolts. Having been raised in Cloudsdale, and with a moderately wealthy family, she was able to go see performances quite often, always being mesmerized by the latest tricks being shown off. She would often tell anypony that would listen that some day, she would be performing in front of crowds that large and performing seemingly physics-defying feats. She had no idea, at the time, the kind of dedication it took to be a flier like that.

She would find out, as she was growing up, that her dream was going to take a lot more effort than she had originally thought as a young filly. She often became frustrated with her perceived imperfections, thinking that she ought to be able to mimic the maneuvers she had seen with little to no practice or understanding of how they worked. But, her parents and friends always supported her, complimenting her on the progress she had made, and that kept her going, even practicing late into the night whenever she could get away with it. It was on one such night that she would earn her cutie mark.

Several nasty, black storm clouds had managed to escape from the Cloudsdale Weather Factory, headed straight toward the city and its sleeping inhabitants. There were no weathermares on duty that night, since nopony had been expecting any kind of malign weather until well after sunrise. Acting on instinct, Midnight rushed off to take on the escaped weather before any damage could be done to Cloudsdale. Though it was a long and exhausting battle, she managed to get the clouds completely under control by utilizing her great speed and several tricks she had taught herself from recent stunt flying performances.

Just as she managed to get all of the escaped storm clouds cleared away, the morning weathermares arrived on the scene, having noticed the trouble. Even though Midnight was too tired to notice, a couple of the weathermares were pointing at her flank, where a black, skull-shaped storm cloud with crossed, yellow lightning bolts underneath it had appeared. Her cutie mark had finally appeared, showing not only her love of dangerous stunts, but also the unique ability she had shown with handling storms.

After graduating from flight school, Midnight Orchid left her hometown of Cloudsdale and moved in to a small place in Canterlot, where she would take up a job as a weathermare. Even though the job would only be to provide money until such a time as she could make her dream come true, Midnight put all of her effort into it, just as she would with any other performance. Having a talent for handling all kinds of storms, she is often assigned to moving some of the more dangerous clouds in and out of the city, as well as sending back any storms that escape from the Everfree Forest in their direction.

As a mare, Midnight is still quick to become impatient, especially when dealing with weak and slow flying pegasi, or when she feels that others aren't listening to her. This tends to lead to frustration when she is practicing her aerial acrobatics, since she feels that she should be able to master maneuvers much more quickly than she does. She also dislikes perfectly cloudless days, primarily because she often takes to lounging about on the clouds when the frustrations of practice become too much for her to take.

Sounds like wasted potential...

You know... The Shadowbolts have open slots...

(That was RP lol :))

Anyway, on the topic of the app.

Pegasi don't normally get their cutie mark when they're that old either, this was brought to my attention by another user replying on another app. And since Pegasi aren't weathermares when they're young, Midnight couldn't have gotten her cutie mark during a weathermare job.

And about the actual cutie mark itself, a skull cloud with lightning? That seems a bit grimdark for a cutie mark on these forums. Skulls have been used (heck the Shadowbolts have a winged skull) so I guess it's not so much the actual skull, as how it would be a skull, unless midnight witnessed a very dangerous storm as a young Pegasus. Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing, the main point is that the cutie mark story just doesn't seem very logical in my eyes. But that's just me.

I feel that it is sort of odd that she has all of these fascinations with stunt-flying and yet she has a cutie mark associated with a weathermare's job? And if she is to stay as a weathermare, will her stunt flying likes have any effect on her life? I'm curious about this aspect of Midnight Orchid. And I'd love to see more with it! Whether in RP or in the app, either would be fitting!

~ VS

Pegasi don't normally get their cutie mark when they're that old either, this was brought to my attention by another user replying on another app. And since Pegasi aren't weathermares when they're young, Midnight couldn't have gotten her cutie mark during a weathermare job.

There were no weathermares on duty that night, since nopony had been expecting any kind of malign weather until well after sunrise.

She wasn't working as a weathermare at the time. Nopony else was around to handle the problem, so she took care of it herself.

And about the actual cutie mark itself, a skull cloud with lightning? That seems a bit grimdark for a cutie mark on these forums. Skulls have been used (heck the Shadowbolts have a winged skull) so I guess it's not so much the actual skull, as how it would be a skull, unless midnight witnessed a very dangerous storm as a young Pegasus. Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing, the main point is that the cutie mark story just doesn't seem very logical in my eyes. But that's just me.

I know what I was thinking when I wrote it, but in my sleepiness of last night, I forgot to write in the summary that the cutie mark also represents her love of especially dangerous stunts, hence the reason for the skull-shaped cloud (it's supposed to look kind of like a skull and crossbones, only with lightning instead of bones). I'll be sure to get that added in here in just a bit, and probably give a little expansion on the cutie mark story. As for witnessing a very dangerous storm when she was young, she stopped a very dangerous storm when she was (sort of) young. As for the cutie mark being too grimdark, I can change it if I have to, but I'll most likely end up rewriting her cutie mark story as well.

Edit: I added a tiny bit more detail to the cutie mark story and the meaning behind it. All changes are in paragraphs 3 and 4 of the summary.

• 1 year later...