Nightmare Moon's Monument

Manestream

Nightmare Moon's Monument

As you near the edge of the festival grounds, you see a long shadow seeming to seep out of the Everfree Forest. However, upon closer inspection, you see that it is just a statue of Nightmare Moon. You approach, and notice an inscription:

You dare to seek out Nightmare Moon? Then prepare to meet your doom!

For foals she finds a special treat- unless you leave her something sweet!

You think it might be wise to place a few hoof-fulls of candy below the statue, as customary tribute to the mythical mare.

Approaching the monument, Ashwood notices the place is still empty of any pony presence. He sighs.

"Finally some quiet, the town is so noisy tonight. Hopefully these candles on the plinth should be enough to accommodate my reading."

The satisfied pony stretches out, lie down behind the statue and take a book out of his snatchel.

Evolution of the celebrations in Equestria under Celestia's reign: a thousand years of traditions analyzed and commented

"An appropriate choice for tonight."

As a biting gust of wind blows, Ashwood shivers and adjust his scarf.

"Considering the chilly temperature, wearing a costume wouldn't have been such a bad idea after all..."

Stormsong cantered her way out of the crowds within the town, looking for a nice, quiet place to enjoy her time until she could find who she was looking for. Usually, she would spend the entirety of Nightmare Night locked up in her home in Canterlot, but one of her friends had made her promise to come out and try to enjoy the festivities, at least once. She almost instantly regretted making that promise upon seeing the hordes of ponies gathered about, all dressed up in... for lack of a better term... nightmarish costumes. She had, of course, elected to attend Nightmare Night without a costume of her own, though she wore a simple, black, hooded cloak and a dark purple and blue scarf to protect herself from the cold, autumn night air.

Continuing on her path away from town, Stormsong kept her eyes out for her friend, though she doubted she'd spot the dark colored pegasus in the darkness. Snapping her attention ahead, she noticed that she was walking her way toward a statue situated outside of town. She slowed to a walk, looking around for anypony near the statue. Seeing nopony, she approached the statue, one of Nightmare Moon, and read the inscription to herself:

"You dare to seek out Nightmare Moon? Then prepare to meet your doom!

For foals she finds a special treat- unless you leave her something sweet!"

"But I don't have anything sweet on me..." she said aloud, looking up at the statue pleadingly. "Though, I suppose I'm not a foal, either..." Wondering for a moment whether or not she should stay, she eventually decided to lie down in front of the statue and hum a tune to herself, hoping that her friend might find her out here.

Insight had never seen so many Ponies before. Sure, he experienced Nightmare Night Celebrations back in Canterlot, but none as extravagant as this. He was never really a party goer since he was busy with his research and studying all the time. Sensing that he lacked "fun", his Mother told him to loosen up a bit and enjoy what little free time he had before he left for his "expedition". He thought the change of pace would clear his mind from certain things that perplexed him on his studies so he agreed. His mother suggested that he spend a few days at Ponyville and try to mingle with the local Ponyfolk. Of course he had another reason to go. He had heard about a monument of Nightmare Moon within the Everfree forest. His research has led him to believe that some inscriptions on the monument might give some clues as to what he's looking for.

"I might as well give it a shot." he mumbles to himself as he walks to the direction of the monument. "I would have preferred to stay at home, but I guess going on a little adventure is not so bad. Besides, I might find something useful for my research."

No sooner than he arrives, he notices that somepony is already there. He keeps a short distance from the monument as he watches a faint figure in front of the statue. Being the cautious pony that he is, he slowly inches his way until he manages to see a young blue mare talking to herself about not having anything sweet on her.

Lotus

With her sister Aloe, they prepared very well for this night. After couple of weeks of preparing, the event finally came so they could do their idea. Lotus in blue jester costume with club and spade on it, disguised her very well. And white-painted face, with it ponies had problems which sister is Aloe and which sister is Lotus. She decided to take a look at Nightmare Moon monument. slowly she started to move to it, a bit grining while heading to it. She saw another pony and thought it will be a good idea to test out her costume here, with a whistle she approached statue, without looking at another pony. She started to read what was on statue and after couple of minutes she put down one of her candies she had in bag near statue, slowly taking a look at pony that was near of statue.

MAdFR.png

Nightshade was flying low over the trees around the monument; it was his day off so his Shadowbolt suit was laying on his bed back in his hut. He was done with practice for the day, and was obviously tired. He decided to reward himself with some treats; He carried his saddlebags on his back, both filled with blueberry tarts and a few books, all of which would be eaten or used promptly.

He hovered over the monument to the mare of the night, debating if he should pay a visit to the stone portrait. He decided to favor the visit and descended to a covered area near it. He read the engraving from a distance and stood still for a bit, after awhile, he decided to lay down. He laid his saddlebag next to a small shrub and propped himself against it.

"Nightmare Moon... Not exactly how I pictured her..."

He pulled out one of the few books in his pack.

Exit Pegasus

"Might as well catch up on some reading... it is rather quiet around here."

Nightshade flipped to a bookmark that sat, stuck, between two pages, he removed the bookmark and began to read, unaware of the ponies around him.

An ophidian monster came into the clearing with a half-walking, half-slithering gait. In place of its rear hooves, there was a long, serpentine tail, and its mane was made of quite convincing serpents. Beachnut had disguised herself cleverly, in a costume that would appear identically on a four-legged pony or a hippocamp. Now she could walk/slither among the four-legs without anyone noticing her species. Disguised as the dreaded gorgony, no one would know she wasn't a simple earth pony in one of the strange costumes they were all wearing. She'd heard of Nightmare Night, of course, and she'd been looking forward to the opportunity to observe the four-legs without being discovered.

Upon entering the clearing she gasped in awe. The idol of the dark god Nightmare Moon! Bea had not actually heard much of recent events, and was unaware of Nightmare Moons return or redemption, so she considered the imposing statue as a mysterious and exiting relic of a bygone age. And, of course, an incredibly interesting holiday.

She read the inscription with a faint grin. She mused to herself. "So... I 'ave to leave a tribute to the moon goddess. But I do not 'ave any candy yet! I shall 'ave to follow along with these traditions the four-legs are observing and take part in this! It sounds most exciting!" She smiled and dragged herself to the side of the clearing to try to find out where the candies were actually coming from.

So this was it: Nightmare Moon was the most badflank Pony in Equestrian history, and Rue stood face to face with her at last. This was the pony who defied Celestia twice, all in the name of eternal night -- A cause Rue supported enthusiastically. Rue gazed skyward at the Alicorn's infinite kingdom of lights and felt small. Although not often a pious pony, Rue was always struck humble on Nightmare Night. She closed her eyes and whispered a prayer.

"O heavenly Luna, Princess of the Starry Skies, Mare of the Night:

When glories close and darkness grows upon the dusk twilight

And melodies of chickadees start stifling to quiet

Shroud sorrows mine in darkest night, the moon will light my way.

Grant peaceful slumber to my soul when life's eve lingers neigh.

Rue's opened her eyes to the statues inscription and scowled.

You dare to seek out Nightmare Moon? Then prepare to meet your doom!

For foals she finds a special treat- unless you leave her something sweet!

A year after Nightmare Moon's return and defeat, and this was still a child's game. It was one thing to mock Equestrian history, but Luna walked among us now. Surely some consideration should be due. Rue reached back into her saddlebag and produced a glowing jar, then unscrewed the lid. Four fireflies floated away to the skies to herald the reutrn of their princess. Rue bowed once more, before stowing the empty jar and disappearing into the forest.

Stormsong couldn't believe her luck. Even though there had been no sign of her friend out here, she had been visited by Princess Celestia! Feeling heartened by this change of events, she decided to get up and go looking around again; the path through the Everfree Forest not seeming like a particularly bad idea. Getting herself off the ground, she made her way toward the luminary bag lit path, not even thinking of the scares she might encounter along the way.

Beachnut gasped as the Princess herself appeared. She'd heard tales of the splendor and glory of Princess Celestia from her father, but they hadn't come close to reality. She stood dumbfounded as the Princess passed out candies, and almost forgot to kneel when the Princess came to her. Fortunately, a few of the manners her mother had tried to impress upon her were still there, and when the Princess looked upon her she came to her senses and dropped to her knees.

When she received her piece of candy, she gasped. She was sure she should thank the Princess, but the words didn't come to her, and before she knew it, the Princess was gone. Feeling slightly dejected, Bea stashed the piece of candy in her pocket and dragged herself off into the forest, not really sure where she was going.