Nightmare Moon's Monument

Manestream

Nightmare Moon's Monument

As you near the edge of the festival grounds, you see a long shadow seeming to seep out of the Everfree Forest. However, upon closer inspection, you see that it is just a statue of Nightmare Moon. You approach, and notice an inscription:

You dare to seek out Nightmare Moon? Then prepare to meet your doom!

For foals she finds a special treat- unless you leave her something sweet!

You think it might be wise to place a few hoof-fulls of candy below the statue, as customary tribute to the mythical mare.

The moon has risen since the night began, and you can feel its powerful glow break through the clouds to illuminate the small glade that surrounds the statue of Nightmare moon- however this causes to the shadow to grow even larger. The area is strangely quiet- unnaturally quiet- and the feeling that a powerful presence is nearby grows. The festival grounds are not far away, but you get the feeling that if you turn tail to leave, something might just catch up to you!

After last nights close shave with insanity and consequent feinting, Orange decided to steer clear of the 'festivities' tonight by walking around the main festival grounds, on the border of Everfree forest. Orange had never been one for Nightmare Night or any other holiday that involved a Colt dressed in red delivering presents to all the foals in one night or the Feather Fairy giving young pegasi bits for molted feathers. Growing up in a utilitarian family in Stalliongrad allowed him to grow an appreciation for hard work not useless festivities yet Orange found himself in a town obsessed with his most despised holiday, he tried to escape it in Stalliongrad by visiting some old family friends in a 'small, quiet' town here but was roped into participating. Tonight though Orange was focused on staying away from any Nightmare obsessed ponies by taking a nice leisurely walk on the edge of town.

As Orange walked under the wonderful night sky marveling at all the stars and he couldn't help but think back to his 'episode' last night 'do I really feint when I get terrified? I can't believe that I thought there were such things as banana poniacs that turn people into bananas and also why, when I woke up I had two pieces of candy under my wing? I guess I'll never know' ​his thoughts were cut short when he spotted a large ominous figure in the distance "nope, not going that way" Orange stated nonchalantly, "I can see where this is going", Orange started to turn away and walk the way he came in an effort to escape the weirdness this town seems to emanate. *rustle* Orange turned back to look for the source of the noise, all he could see was the same ominous figure, same ominous bushes and same ominous trees 'huh? Probably just the wind' *rustle* 'yeah the wind just blowing against some trees or something' *rustle, rustle* 'I think ... nah what am I thinking of, of course it's just the wind, not some crazed poniac wanting to turn me into a banana, or two crazed poniac wanting to turn me into a banana or worse, oh Celestia'. Orange could see the darkness start to cloud his vision "No, no, no ... that's preposterous, keep yourself together I'll go there and prove to myself that there is no such thing as a banana poniac" Orange muttered clearing the darkness from his vision.

Much to his relief as he started to make his way closer to the figure it turned out to be a statue of Nightmare Moon the long defeated princess of fear 'see, I'm right' he thought to himself, out of curiosity Orange started to read the plaque:

You dare to seek out Nightmare Moon? Then prepare to meet your doom!

For foals she finds a special treat- unless you leave her something sweet!

'What a feather-brained idea offering candy so the Boogeymare won't get you, this is quite possibly the weirdest thing yet, who would fall for such a thing' Orange turned away to leave and to continue on his walk but froze in his hoofs as a loud cackling laugh screeched through the air. Orange turned around but saw nothing, "I know colt-fu!" Orange yelled/whimpered, his voice filled with an obvious lack of confidence. 'It's probably just a trick, but ... I might want to hide in these bushes just to be sure', Orange darted towards some nearby bushes leaving behind an Colt shaped dust cloud in his wake. Orange leapt into the bushes preparing for a long night. If one to look around the statue all would be normal, except for the obvious shaking and whimpering bush. Orange continued to contemplate the worse case senario (most of which involved banana wielding poniacs) but his thoughts were cut shot by the distinct sound of hoofsteps, Orange couldn't stop shaking and all his attempts only made the bush rustle more. The hoofsteps drew closer and closer ...

gallery_299_36_40135.png

Diamond Tiara marched down the dirt path towards the old Nightmare Moon statue in the Everfree clearing. Alone. But that's fine. No really. It's fine. I'm not scared. There's nothing to be scared of. There're adults around here... somewhere. They'll protect me if something goes wrong. Not that anything will go wrong! It's cool. Totally.

She stepped up to look at the statue in closer detail. It was ferocious. But just a statue. Diamond read the plaque with interest. "Leave her something sweet? I'm not giving my candy to a statue! I only just got it!" she said aloud. But there was a nagging thought at the back of her mind. Some of the other foals had said that last Nightmare Night, the Mare in the Moon actually did show up. But no, that was silly! Princess Luna had just given her some candy. She wasn't Nightmare Moon anymore. And it was Applebloom and her dumb friends that had said they'd seen her anyway.

"Yeah. Totally nothing to worry abou-" she began, when suddenly she was startled by a rustling noise! It was coming from a nearby bush! She froze. Nightmare Moon wouldn't hide in a bush, so that meant.... Everfree monsters! "Oh dear..." she said quietly. There was no where she could hide or run. Her survival instincts kicked in at that point. Adrenaline surged through her. She would fight! And fight the only way she knew how...

...with good old fashioned bossiness.

"Hey! Who do you think you are, trying to scare me! You leave me alone and don't come back you stupid monster!" she yelled. It was crazy, but it just might work.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Something didn't feel right for Ginger Mint. Her experience in the house of mirrors was still fresh in her mind, but she was no longer frightened. Instead she was just mildly upset. She had wandered around the fairgrounds in a bit of a daze after that, trying to place the familiar feeling she'd experienced, but when she saw the statue of Nightmare Moon it all came rushing back to her.

The Gala, that was where I met the Princesses for the first... well, the only time.

Without really thinking about it, she started walking up towards Nightmare Moon's statue, silent as a ghost. Her mind was busy replaying her memory of Princess Luna and she barely payed any attention to her surroundings as she approached. It had been a bittersweet feeling then, and it was through that lens that she gazed up at the otherwise frightening visage.

"I...I wonder what went wrong." Her voice was soft, more to herself than anypony else.

Something about the statue's fiendish expression struck a chord deep in her heart. It was just so at odds with her own memory that it bordered on the absurd, and with that thought, she felt a dry chuckle well up from her belly and spill out of her mouth. It didn't even seem possible that this could be the same pony.

Why do they even keep this statue around? Nightmare Moon is just another page in history now, unless... Perhaps it remains as a warning to everypony about themselves, a reminder to not let unhappiness make itself at home inside ones own heart.

Ginger Mint bowed her head solemnly. Only after she raised her head again did she consider if the gesture might have seemed strange to anypony else.

That is of course, if anypony else was watching.

She'd been so lost in thought that she hadn't even looked very carefully at the statue she was staring at, let alone the ponies around her, and it took her a while to finally notice the inscription at the base of the statue. Even though it was dark outside, the words etched into the marble surface caught the moonlight and lit up eerily.

"What do you think would have happened?" Again, her voice was soft and she didn't actually expect the statue to respond, "if someone had given you something sweet. Would it have made a difference back then?"

She reached into her tote bag and that was when she discovered the two pieces of Candy that she had mysteriously received in the House of Mirrors. Was it really Luna back there?

I can't leave this as an offering, not if I just got it from her in the first place. That, that would be the hight of rudeness. Maybe I'll... Her thought was interrupted by the angry shouting of a young filly.

"Hey! Who do you think you are, trying to scare me! You leave me alone and don't come back you stupid monster!"

As far as Ginger Mint could tell, she was just yelling at shadows of her own imagination, and it might have made her smile to think that she'd been in a similar situation just a little while ago, but something in the filly's tone of voice sounded much more bitter than any little filly had any right sounding.

Maybe, just maybe... Ginger Mint puffed herself up and adjusted the deputy's star on her collar before trotting over to the little filly's side. She just hoped Luna wouldn't take offense for what she was about to do.

"Happy Nightmare Night, miss. With a shout like that, I reckon y'all could scare the wheels off a wagon. Here, why dont'cha take this here chocolate and skeedadle on back to town? Ah'm powerful sure no forest creatures'll be handin' out candy. Even with such a mighty scoldin'."

With a delicate toss, she flipped the chocolate from her own tote into the little Filly's candy bag.

((Ginger Mint's Costume))

Douglas had decided to take a gander at the statue of Nightmare Moon, of which this tradition was loosely based on. He gave his head a slight shake as he made his way through the Everfree. "Yeah...they would put it out here, wouldn't they?" he thought to himself. His Nightmare Night had a rather jumpy start. That prank from the pink Earth pony, Pinkie Pie, was definitely something that left his heart in a rush. Although she did give everypony a piece of candy for being good sports with her Trick.

Slowly opening the beige overcoat that wrapped over his body he pulled out the gentlcolt's pipe and placed it in his mouth. Closing his overcoat over his striped shirt and tie, Douglas gave his matching fedora a little tilt and gnawed lightly on the pipe. It was then that he saw a tint of red on his overcoat. Apparently some of that Earth pony's trick had got on him. "Ah well, guess I'm a Detective caught in the line of fire then." Douglas smirked at the thought, taking his attention off his costume to stay on path. The trees gave an ominous feeling, it seemed as if they were leaning in over the path, almost trying to reach out and cover it up! Then there was the occasional snap of twigs or animal sounds deep in the wood. It was surely enough to frighten anyone, but Douglas had already been frightened once so he wasn't too phased by some sounds. Still, Douglas was more than willing to find a few more scares before the night ended.

Soon enough the statue could be seen as he moved around the turn of the path and came from behind some bushes. Now with the whole statue in sight he could even see a few ponies already gathered here for whatever reason. Amongst them was a mare in a familiar Sheriff costume. He let out a slight chuckle as she tossed a candy at a little filly. The faux Detective took a breath and blew into the pipe, causing a mess of bubbles to raise from the tip. "Good evening, Miss Mint. How has your Nightmare Night been?" He asked, blowing a few more bubbles before putting the pipe back in his coat pocket.

Stopping just a bit away from her, Douglas sat back on his Haunches as he eyed the statue. "What a statue, somepony sure got a laugh sculpting that. Was it meant to look that scary?" he thought aloud. Clearing his throat he looked back at Ginger Mint. "I just came from Sugarcube Corner where the uh, Earth pony, Pinkie Pie tricked us good there. Never knew somepony so cheery could be so... detailed with zomponies.." Douglas stated, giving a little shudder. Letting out a gentle breath, Douglas brought his composer back. "So then, how many houses have you hit so far?"

Lilia's encounter in the House of Mirrors had left her pride slightly wounded...and her muzzle slightly bruised! She trotted to the Nightmare Moon Monument, pausing briefly when she heard the shouting.

"Hey! Who do you think you are, trying to scare me! You leave me alone and don't come back you stupid monster!"

She approached cautiously, watching the mare give out a piece of chocolate from her own bag into the bag of the naughty filly.

"Why, I'd be ashamed of such reactions from any filly here! Don't you know Nightmare Moon is watching?" She said, trotting out as her costume concealed her eyes. She turned to the monument, dropping a candy at the base in offering.

Orange who was still in the obviously shaking bush could hear all kinds of noises outside his little piece of bush heaven, but was still too busy being terrified to pay much attention. 'maybe I can dig my way out, yeah no monster can get me underground. Those poniacs won't ever suspect a pony to dig their way out to freedom'

'Oh Celestia, they're already looking for me, have to start digging for my life'. Orange started to fling hoof-fuls of dirt in the air in a final effort of escape, consequently the already shaking bush he was using as a hideaway was now shedding large amounts of dirt in the air.

As Douglas waited for Miss Mint to reply he noticed a few clods of dirt being chucked into the air. Looking around, he spotted them coming from a bush that was for lack of a better word, trembling. Slowly Douglas walked over to the bush, inspecting it carefully and trying his best not to get hit with any flying dirt clods.

Clearing his throat, Douglas addressed the shaking bush. "Excuse me...is somepony in there? Um...I really don't think you're going to find treasure if that's what you're doing." He joked lightly, still wondering what could be in the bush. Taking a deep breath he began to approach. He could feel his heart pick up in pace. What if a beast leapt out from the bush? What would happen to him? Gently Douglas reached out with his hoof, giving his lips a lick as he grabbed on to the bush. "Now or never, Trotter..." he thought, spreading the bush apart.

Orange continued to dig vigorously for salvation, already about half of his body was in the hole 'only another 50 or so metres' Orange thought to himself starting to relax at the thought of safety, these thoughts however were short lived as he heard a distinct voice behind him 'no, no, no, no, I was so close now somepony is going to turn me into a banana or worse, I could always fly away ... No that wouldn't work everypony knows banana magicians can counteract flyiness, wait what?' Orange's thoughts were cut short by the distinct sound of the bush being moved. 'Oh no, think fast ... deter them. How? I don't know how, think of something'

"Uhh ... I am the bush of death and um, do not disturb me or I will, do something" Orange tried to state with a confident voice but only managed to sound even more nervous, by this moment in time even the loud crickets that could be heard around the Everfree forest stopped chirping from the sheer awkwardness being demonstrated at this moment in time, "I think, you have been warned, because I am a killer bush not a pony hiding from crazy banana wielding poniacs who seek revenge against Orange" Orange started to hold his breath, most of his flank in a hole in a bush in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by crazy ponies on the worst night of the year, hoping that his well developed ploy would work.

Douglas took his hooves from the bush, tilting his head slightly to the side as he eyed up the wild shrubbery. "Well...it is the Everfree..." he thought. "Wait...a killing, crazy, talking bush of death....why warn me? Wouldn't it have been better to just eat me?" He blurted out, feeling a little stupid talking to a bush. "I'm really talking to a bush? Wow, I just need some stone slabs and ponies to lead and I'm all set..." Douglas sat back on his haunches for a moment and thought about just calling it as the Everfree being the Everfree.

He took out his pipe and blew a few more bubbles as he just sat and watched the bush. "Will Mr. Bush if that's how you feel." He said slowly getting to his hooves and moving away. It was just as another bunch of bubbles rose out of his pipe that he stopped. "Wait a second...whose Orange and why are ponies looking for him?" Douglas asked, turning back to the bush with a suspicious look.

"Uhhh" Orange started to panic "the talking bush of death does not know of this Orange you speak of, he is certainly not hiding from some crazy poniacs out in the open field who probably want to turn him into a banana ... or worse, so uhh ... yeah". Orange started to peek his head above his little hole trying to get a look at this other pony but consequently his Dark Orange fur stood out as it was not really designed with the idea of camouflage and concealment. "I warn you this last time I am a bush of death and ... st-stuff and I-I c-can eat you, I mean eat you and stuff, so just to be sure I'm not a pony in a bush but a killer bush of death that can eat ponies" Orange started to get quieter as each word began to make less and less sense. Still with most of his head above the hole Orange waited to see if he was as good as a liar as he hoped he was.

Douglas listened to words the bush spewed, soon finding his believability being washed away. Was it...quivering? Douglas decided that it couldn't possibly be a real thing. His eyes narrowed to slits as his face showed disbelief. "Oh, I get it now...you're just some prankster trying to trick ponies aren't you? Raving about killer poniacs hurting ponies who pass by...I bet you were gonna try to scare me, huh?" Douglas eluded, a hint of disappointment in his voice.

He blew a stream of bubbles from his pipe to vent his emotions, to think somepony would try to throw dirt and sound like a talking bush. The nerve of it all. "Well, the jig is up. You coming up or are ya gonna have to be dug out?" It was just then that he saw something at the base of the bush move, it's color just a little off from the leaves. He couldn't make out what it was, but thought he could bluff whatever it was. "I see ya, come on out already, the joke is over!"

Orange finally came to the realisation of his somewhat crazy episode before, 'oh by the celestial sisters, if I reveal my self now I will be more of a laughing stock especially what happened in the mirror house. Maybe I could still escape by digging myself out ... no too conspicuous ... um ha I got it if I uproot the bush I'll be able to move it with me that pony will never see it coming'.

"Oh hey is that a piece of candy over there"

Orange quickly shouted without looking if his ploy had worked he had quickly uprooted the tree and started to trot away doing his best to not look too suspicious as a walking talking pony eating bush as possible.

new_luna_vector_by_petalfluff-d4dfa4a.png

Nightmare Moon's monument was one of the most fearsome places known in Ponyville. A group of brave ponies all stood before the statue in awe until they realized it wasn't a statue at all. It was the real thing!

"Pitiful little foals!" The tall black mare cried at the group of cowering ponies in front of her. "You think this measley pile of candy will please me? Do you not know who I am? I am NIGHTMARE MOON!" you and your temporary companions tremble before the terrifying mare, afraid to even breathe whilst in her ghostly presence. "There is only one way to right this terrible wrong!" she continued to inspect each off your companion like a fresh piece of celery. If that's what she likes to eat, that is...

"She's going to eat us!" somepony whispered, "This is it!" the pony's voice was shaking uncontrollably.

"Scatter!" screeched another voice. "Everypony for themselves!"

The group of ponies ran in different directions, all trying to escape the powerful alicorn, only to see that it was pitch black at every turn! As though the only source of light was coming from the evil one herself. "No so fast!Where do all of you think you are going? You have not faced your proper punishment for disturbing my solace!"

Everypony soon came back in front of Nightmare Moon, their shaking visible as they waited for their doom to come upon them. "Nopony can leave until ..." the group clenched their eyes tightly, not seeing Nightmare Moon transform back into Princess Luna before finishing her sentence. "... until you all have two pieces of candies for being such brave souls!"

The group of ponies recieved two pieces of candy with false bravado on their faces, trying to act as if they weren't as scared as they had seemed. You all trot away from the smiling Princess, laughing nervously at the one experience you were sure never to forget!

Orange continued on his way in his most miraculous bush escape, trotting along hoping that other pony would have been scared away by his talking bushiness, when two bits of candy dropped down off the branches 'strange that makes four now, what is so special about me getting scared and candy popping around out of nowhere. I may as well head to the centre of town for it is impossible to escape this accursed holiday' Orange continued on his way trotting with the bush still attached to himself hoping he can escape this night relatively unscathed.

Douglas' eyes shifted to the side, humoring the voice while his head never left the direction of the bush. The jostling of the bush suddenly walking off on it's own had garnered a deadpan expression as his eyes returned to watch it walking off. His head stayed locked on where the bush had been, a slight tapping of his hoof as he soon turned his head.

"You didn't need to harm the plant, y'know?" Douglas flatly said, thinking if he should keep pushing whoever was in the bush or just continue on with his trick or treating. Giving a slight facehoof, he started. "Well then..." slowly Douglas trotted a little ways after the bush to make sure it was still in earshot. "Happy Nightmare Night."

And with that, and the scare of the lifetime from Princess Luna, Douglas decided to hit his next location of the night.

gallery_299_36_40135.png

"Happy Nightmare Night, miss. With a shout like that, I reckon y'all could scare the wheels off a wagon. Here, why dont'cha take this here chocolate and skeedadle on back to town? Ah'm powerful sure no forest creatures'll be handin' out candy. Even with such a mighty scoldin'."

Diamond stared with a raised eyebrow at the cowpony that had come beside her and tossed her a piece of chocolate. "Hey! Don't talk down to me! I can take care of myself! You just, like, think I'm scared don't you!" she risked a nervous glance towards the shaking bush, which was now rustling violently. Another pony had just gone to investigate when suddenly they were all attacked! By Nightmare Moon no less! "N-N-No way!" cried Tiara, as she jumped behind the friendly cowpony and ducked down, pulling her witch hat over her head.

And then it was all over, and Diamond Tiara was now whimpering on the ground, with two pieces of candy in front of her. She snatched them up quickly, then turned to the cowpony. "I-I-I wasn't scared! I was just, y'know, being practical! Because you were a bigger target! Yeah. D-Don't think I owe you anything!" she said, before running away back to town.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Ginger Mint didn't know what to make of the little filly's response. It wasn't quite what she had expected, but then again she really didn't know what to expect in the first place.

"Oh! um... beg yer pardon then miss."

Ginger Mint was busy studying the intricate patterns of dust that had been kicked up on her hooves, hoping her apparent faux pas would pass without further incident, when Douglas came wandering up beside her. It was the perfect excuse to excuse herself.

"Evenin' pardner, This here evenin's been a might spooky, but just peachy all the same. One bit ah advice though, if y'all are headin up to the mirror maze, ya might want ta leave a trail behind yerself so ya can git back out again without a heap ah fuss."

She wasn't quite sure what to make of his comments about the frightening statue. She didn't even know when it had been carved. For all she here knew, it could have been made a thousand years ago, or it might have been made yesterday for just this occasion.

"Well, ah reckon it must look quite a bit different in tha daylight, maybe it does look like a horse of a different color when it ain't so dark?"

Pinkie Pie. Ginger Mint was certain she'd heard that name before, but she couldn't remember where. Was it somepony famous? Somepony she'd met before?

"Zombie ponies? Well, I do enjoy a good trick every now an again. Might have ta drop on by there later and see whats cookin. I ain't been ta too many houses yet, not.. um... not on account a gettin lost in that maze anyhow."

When Douglas left to go investigate the bustling bush, Ginger Mint wondered if maybe the little filly hadn't been right afterall. Usually she was pretty good about spotting things, but that night all the shadows and trickery were clearly getting to her. She didn't even realize that the statue had been replaced by Nightmare Moon until she started speaking.

Somepony was yelling for her to run, but she found herself rooted to the ground. Her legs refused to move, her eyes just stared straight ahead, wide as saucers, and she was certain that she'd turned completely white from the shock. The only thing that kept her from falling over on the spot was the little filly hiding behind her. Then, just as quickly as it began, it was over.

Was that real? Did that really just happen?

The filly's wavering voice snapped her back to reality and she slowly started on her way back to town, replaying the her parting words over a few times in an attempt to make sense of them. I suppose we might never know...