Nightmare Moon's Monument

SunsetSombra

Nightmare Moon's Monument

As you near the edge of the festival grounds, you see a long shadow seeming to seep out of the Everfree Forest. However, upon closer inspection, you see that it is just a statue of Nightmare Moon. You approach, and notice an inscription:

You dare to seek out Nightmare Moon? Then prepare to meet your doom!

For foals she finds a special treat- unless you leave her something sweet!

The evening is wearing ever onward, and the weird atmosphere of this spot is starting to get to everypony, even yourself...so much so that you could almost swear that the Nightmare Moon statue is ready to spring to life any moment and steal all of the delicious candy hoard you've ammassed.

Your breath catches as you stand perfectly still for a moment...nothing happening, it's all just a bad feeling created by your overactive imagination - no, nothing really bad will really happen to you on this most wonderful of nights, a celebration of all that is dark and unseen.

But that bad feeling running down your spine - is it nerves, or is there something in the air...is something watching you with hidden eyes from the bushes?

Or...is it somePONY?

Rose thought about eating the butterscotch the Princess gave her, but she thought better of it. Better to savor it later, along with the rest of her haul. The prospect of free candy always outweighed the stigma attached to trick or treating at her age, and besides, she loved spooking the younger foals who roamed the streets with her.

But there didn't seem to be any younger foals here, or anypony at all. The statue of the mythical Nightmare Moon stood alone in the clearing, all by itself. Rose wandered up to it and stared into its stone eyes.

"Just you and me, huh?" she asked, lying down underneath it. The statue didn't move, of course, nor did its eyes seem to be looking in Rose's direction. How boring. "I'll get you some candy later, I promise. I'm a little short right now."

Gasping for breath from her mad gallop out of the Everfree Forest, Stormsong came out near the monument of Nightmare Moon once again. Once she was certain she was clear of the forest, its monsters, and Discord, she stopped to catch her breath, cursing at herself for not getting more exercise. She had never run like that before, not even during the Running of the Leaves earlier in the year. Looking up at the monument, she spotted a red unicorn lying down underneath it.

It was then that Stormsong remembered the inscription on the statue. She had had a piece of candy before and hadn't thought to offer it to Nightmare Moon, and now because of her "bright" idea of going off into the forest, she didn't have any candy again. This was also when she noticed that her scarf was missing; only the black cloak she had on had made it through her sprint to safety. Cautiously approaching the mare on the ground before her, she asked "Um... excuse me... have you see a blue and purple scarf lying around anywhere? I've lost mine somewhere."

Accompanied by the young Perched Lighthoof, Ashwood comes close of the frightening statue. A couple of ponies seems to have preceded them. The pegasus turn to him.

_"My friend won't be here, he loathes Nightmare Moon. He always tell me how it would have been better she stays in the Moon forever."

Ashwood looks at him with a perplexed expression.

_"Only the future will tell us if her return is a blessing or a curse. For now we can ask these fellow ponies if they saw your friend passing by."

They approach the monument.

_"Good evening gentlemares, this young fella lost his friend in the forest, did you saw him by chance? Can you describe him Perched Lighthoof?"

_"He is a pegasus, his mane and pelt are dark blue. His cutie mark is a flash of lightning."

Well, after all of the action that had taken place earlier...thanks to one particularly pink pony, Brazil was now at a loss for candy and had decided to take a trek to the Nightmare Moon statue, alongside his daughter. There was a positive air between the two enthusiastic ponies...despite having had their candies given to AND stolen from by one Party pony, there was still hope that there would be better luck in hour three of this Nightmare Night.

Besides, Brazil enjoyed a good walk out here now and then - it was fairly relaxing to just share some quality time with his daughter on a night like this...

" Well, we haven't had the best luck SO far... " Brazil says, looking back at the eager young pegasus following behind him. " But I have a GOOD feeling about this time....we can't possibly end tonight without SOMETHING, at the very least, and I'm sure we'll find it's here where our luck finally changes! "

He was entirely enthusiastic about the chances of something good happening here...there was just a good feeling in the air, and he was going to follow his instincts on this one - thus the explorer puts his best hooves forward and hoped for the best!

Paradise Nut gave a small hop into the air, fluttering her wings quickly before perching on the bigger pony's back, staring around at the forest, tapping Brazil on the shoulder and pointing to various moving shadows here and there.

"Ah dun know...think we might be in for another trick...." She huffed, still a bit miffed at the loss of her candy, it was one of those really GOOD lookin ones too! She stared over at the monument of Nightmare Moon, gazing at the supposed Alicorn of Darkness.

"wow wee. Ah don't think ah'd want ta be on that pony's bad side!" She nodded, that alicorn sure did look mighty powerful! Even if it was just a stone statue.

Northern Light grumbles as she misses the earlier events, wishing her time in Fillydelphia hadn't taken so long. But now she's back home in the Everfree forest. Seeing people coming to the monument, she swishes her tail and smiles, watching the annual ritual. She giggles to herself, thinking she should dye herself next year, and go as Nightmare Moon! Besides, maybe she'll get more candy that way

chicken_pie_by_keinzantezuken-d4dj64i.png

Pinkie Pie

Tonight you've decided to give the Nightmare Moon monument a go. The last two nights went so well here, that you were hoping to snag more candy or at least catch a glimpse of one or both princesses! Excitement tingles your hooves as you walk up towards the monument, bowing your head in respect to the mistress of darkness. Then you hear a squeal.

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! It's Nightmare Moon! Run! Run for your lives, everypony!" you look up and see a pink earth pony in a chicken suit zoom by you. Quickly checking your surrounding, all you see is nothingness at first, and glancing up at the statue reveals nothing out of the ordinary. Shrugging it off, you leave the monument disappointed that you didn't get any candy, nor did you see the princesses. All you got was a Pink Pony in a Chicken Suit overreacting to a scary statue.