The Storm [PM for invite]

Dunes

The odds had begun to weigh heavily on Telki's mind; wander further inward and increase her risk of getting lost, but it also increased her chances of finding something useful.

She was about to give up and go back when she heard sounds of a scuffle ahead. "Were they friendly ponies who were lost in the storm like her? or were they bandits, using these caves for some nefarious deeds?

Either way, Telki wanted to know: if they were friendly, some company wouldn't hurt. If they were bandits...well Telki could try to barter something out of it or in the worse case scenerio, fight her way out.

Tiphoofing foward, she caught the silhouette of what seemed to be a pony standing in the middle of the path, holding a.....weapon????

Without hesitation, Telki sent 2 beams lancing out of her horn, one ripping the weapon out of the other pony's grasp and the other holding the pony immobilized in place. Telki noticed how strange it was, seeing that the other pony didnt put up much of a struggle.

Advancing foward towards the pony with ears pricked, Telki wandered what other surprises were in store for her

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No! Stop! Don't hurt me! I wont tell, I promise! I wont make a sound of this. I'll do whatever you want!"

Crystal jumped, turning her head a little to pinpoint where the voice had come from? Behind her? Who else was in here?

She desperately wanted to turn her head and get a glimpse of who it was. But the voice sounded frightened, and young. A filly? A scared filly seemed more like something to protect rather than a threat, and she still didn’t know what was lurking at the cave’s mouth. She heard the flapping of Milky’s wings, and a hushing sound. Crystal was all that stood between them and the unknown.

Her home-made pepper spray at the ready, Crystal felt a cold sweat as she tried to prepare herself for whatever was coming.

She was not prepared.

There was a twinkling noise, a bright light, and the sensation of her spray bottle being pulled from her mouth. The rest she wasn’t so sure about. She felt surrounded, she knew that. Surrounded by something tingling, holding her in place, yet it wasn’t painful. She knew little of the desert, but she was fairly certain coyotes weren’t capable of any of what she was experiencing. This was something powerful. The thought made her struggle more, for all the good it did.

She could plead for mercy; whoever this was clearly had the upper hoof. But after losing her very first house and nearly dying in the desert, something in the back of her brain, straight outta the streets of Manehattan, decided that life had stepped on her for the last time today and she simply wasn’t standing for it anymore.

She took a deep breath, fuming. “Alright. I have just had the worst day of my young life, whoever you are, and the last thing I need is some thrush-head shooting lights at my face and holding me hostage with… with… this electric marshmallow stuff you’ve got me in. So if you don’t leave us alone, I am gonna screech and screech until I bring this cave down or we all go deaf, capiche?” She panted, glaring at the unicorn-shaped outline advancing towards them.

She looked at her luggage, trying to nudge her head in that direction. “If you want my stupid peppers, take them, I don’t even care anymore.

arpybanner.png

Arrow, being pinned to the ground by a white blur, was seconds to screaming when her flank hit the ground. For the sake of preventing further conflict, the white pony who had brought the young filly to the ground shoved her hoof into Arrow's mouth before she could peep a loud noise. For once, Arrow was in somepony else's control, and Arrow had nothing she could do about it for the moment.

arrowhushani.gif

The white pegasus holding Arrow down came to view to Arrow, however. And the first thing she noticed was that she was, in fact, a pegasus pony. Arrow's first reaction when Milky lifted her hoof from her mouth was a sassy silent mouthing of the word 'pegasus,' and she did so with a distasteful expression.

She could not see her face, because of all of the sporty apparel. She wouldn't mind a set of the same protective gear, but before she could squeal again, she gasped when she realized who this pony really was. Arrow silently shouted a loud whisper, "Blasterin' buffaloes! You're the," Arrow paused and surveyed the situation towards the cave entrance before continuing her whisper. "Wind Raider, aren't you! I saw a drawing of you in the Sheriff's office archives."

Milky was incredibly puzzled at the moment. Wind Raider? She'd never heard that name before. It was probably a mix-up. After all, she had always been incredibly careful and only picked single targets outside of Appleloosa. What could the Silverstar have on her?

This had to wait, though. With one eye, Milky saw that the purple earth pony was held to the ground by what looked like a ray of light. She didn't know what that meant, but at this point, instinct kicked in. She had just saved Crystal Towers from the dangers of the desert, and she wouldn't let anything harm her now.

Completely forgetting about the yellow unicorn filly under her, Milky darted off of the ground, flapping her wings furiously to gain speed, flying towards the source of the light holding Crystal in place. Actually, it was more of an act of desperation. Her time as a packer had been a great workout, and she was in the best physical condition she'd ever been.

Milky let out a low shriek. This situation had awakened something feral in her, and she would protect her new friend with her life. In front of her, the outline of a unicorn turned out to be the source of the light. It probably meant she was in a disadvantage, but Milky was beyond caring for that.

Milky braced for impact. She was pretty sure she had the drop on the attacker. She put everything in the tackle, trying to knock her out in one hit. She wasn't exactly versed in physical combat, but it wouldn't stop her from trying.

Something just didn't feel right

Telki was trying to put her head around it; here was a pony who was clearly determined to not let her pass and was armed even. Telki had disarmed and immobilized him/her, but somehow, it felt juuussssttt a bit too easy. Irregardless of whether the pony is a smuggler, bandit or just a simple explorer or geologist, she had somehow expected......more resistance and more struggling; definately more struggling.

Now the pony seemed to be yelling something. Telki turned her ears, fully expecting to hear a "INTRUDER! GET IT BOYS" or a "Help! Some cave monster has got mmmmeeeeee!" but all she could catch were snitches of "lights and marshmallow and screeching and...peppers??"

Telki brought the weapon close to her face and in the dull illumination of her horn's glow could just make out that it was some sort of spray bottle with a crudely drawn pepper on its label.

Unfortunately to do that she had to take her eye off the ball for a moment, and thats when she heard an unholy screech and looked up too late to see something white hurling her way.

The impact knocked Telki off her hooves and the breath out of her as the ball of white fury landed on top of her, causing her to drop the the spray bottle and for it to fire off as it hit the ground (OOC: I'll let Dav decide if he wants Milky to get sprayed).

Telki's first instinct was to shove whoever it was off her, but wisely instead said in the most apologetic voice "Umm I'm really sorry about your friend back there, I mean no harm really!"

Crystal breathed a sigh of relief as soon as the force acting on her lifted. She shook her mane out, pawed at the cave floor with a hoof, and charged in to help Milky.

She heard a whud and, in the dark, was unsure of who hit whom. She skidded to a halt, her head held high and ears pinned straight back. She snorted angrily. This stranger meant no harm? No harm, really? Though, Crystal realized, it hadn’t actually hurt, it was just surprising… Maybe it was just a misunderstanding?

But then that sharp, acrid smell hit her nostrils. Her eyes and nose watered at the mere memory of crushing all of those jalapeno and habanero seeds to get enough stinging, burning capsaicin to make her pepper spray. Despite through the protective hoof-wear, goggles, and mask, it was nasty stuff -- even for her enviable spice tolerance.

Instinctively, she shut her eyes and backed off. “Milky! Other pony! Close your eyes! Don’t let it get in your eyes!” She coughed. “It should dissipate soon, but if it gets in your eyes you won’t be able to see for three to five minutes. And it’ll hurt like heck for a lot longer.

She wasn’t sure where it had sprayed, but her nose and throat already burned.

For all the danger, it kinda made her hungry.

• 2 weeks later...

arpybanner.png

Arrow looked around curiously. She hated being in the dark about things going around her. But just as she began to trot up to the other ponies in all of their commotion, a warning about airborne pepper in the area was given. Just as she heard it, Arrow felt the tingle on one of her eyes and began rubbing it immediately. As soon as she realized what was going on, she fell low to the ground and cover her eyes with her hooves. With eyes watering, Arrow had felt the effects of pepper spray in her right eye. She had just hoped it was only for a short while.

However, she understood that a harmless incident would give her the opportunity to wear something of an eye-patch and look like a pirate for her adventurous causes. Very obnoxiously and out-of-context, Arrow muttered while covering herself, "Hay! Any of you ponies have an eye-patch?"

The purple mare's voice pulled Milky out of her rage. Now that her mind wasn't clouded by fury anymore, the white pegasus tried to get a grasp of the situation. She hadn't even noticed the bottle filling the air with a spray of a biting liquid. She hadn't really planed for it, but her goggles and muzzle protection worked surprisingly well against it.

Looking down on the pony beneath her, Milky realized she had pounced a unicorn, and to her surprise, she wasn't fighting back, instead trying to talk to her. Now that she thought about it, questions just spilled out of Milky.

"Who are you? And what are you doing here, attacking us?" She looked at the unicorn menacingly. "Did you think you could flank us while the other unicorn distracts us?"

Milky was furious. She knew that a unicorn could probably quickly deal with her if she'd give her the chance. But really, she couldn't do anything about it now. She would just have to hope that she could use her current position to her advantage.

"Other unicorn?" said Telki in the most sugary and apologetic tone she could muster. "Erm I was just seeking shelter when your friend pointed a weapon at me and..."

She was about to finish, when she heard somepony yell about airbone pepper spray and the arid smell stung her nostrils

She threw her hooves in front of her eyes, turned away from the source and partially buried one side of her face in the dirt. Hoping that this gesture would both protect her from the spray and defuse the anger of the other pony on top of her

Crystal shook her head, wrinkling her nose. The pepper spray was dissipating, but it still stung. Clearly, she'd need to find a better spray bottle. This was more like a pepper grenade.

"Other unicorn? Erm I was just seeking shelter when your friend pointed a weapon at me and..."

Crystal frowned, and cautiously opened an eye to get a look at this unicorn. The air was still spicy, and she could feel defensive tears welling up. "Weapon? It's not! Not really, I mean. I just brought it in case of coyotes or something. It just burns, it doesn't do damage." She sneezed; her nostrils were burning. "I can see that it needs work though."

She sneezed again. And again. "Aghh okay, it needs a lot of work. But," she sneezed again, "Just to be clear... None of us are actually bandits or marauders or, like, desert pirates, then? Because I'm pretty much just out here to grow spicy things. I'm only a threat if you're prone to heartburn."

She felt a sneeze come on, and tried to stifle it. She failed. This was getting ridiculous. She felt her way over to her luggage and popped a bag open. Digging through, she spoke towards the back of the cave. "I'm fresh out of eyepatches, but I'm pretty sure I've got bandannas. Good for face masks, impromtpu babushkas, or blowing your nose. I know which one I'm going with." She pulled one out and tossed it in what she assumed was the right direction; she didn't really want to open her eyes to the stinging air again. She took out one for herself and did her best to blow all the stinging out of her nose, rather unceremoniously. This was still better than having to wear frilly dresses and pretend to be interested her mother's business partners back in the city.

arpybanner.png

The pepper spray almost fully dissapaited, Arrow jumped up as she could not be still for more than a short moment. She opened both eyes to reveal that her right eye was puffy and pink having been effected by the pepper spray. She would shrug off the pain that it caused, regardless. Arrow needed much more resistence in order to supress her energy. As Crystal walked around a little and entertained Arrow with a response to her eye-patch question, she couldn't help notice that everypony was coming to realize that no one was attacking anypony and that the whole thing was just a misunderstanding. It depressed Arrow, because quite honestly, she was having fun pretending they were all bandits.

Crystal tossed behind her shoulder to Arrow a red bandana. One-eyed Arrow caught it midair with her teeth in a leap. Tieing the bandana around her affected eye as if it was an eye-patch, Arrow jumped up to a higher rock in the cave and announced loudly as she commenced her annoying imagination. "Not a desert pirate!? Of course I'm a desert pirate! And you all better listen to me, or I'll... or I'll..." Arrow, trying to think up an intimidating sentence wasn't really trying to fool anypony. She just wanted to play along as long as she possibly could. "...or I'll steal... ...your... ...horsehoes! YEAH! I'll steal your horseshoes so bad, that... ...you wont even be able to... ...have horseshoes anymore!"

• 2 weeks later...

Milky rose into the air, now feeling a light prickling on her coat as spray settled around her. Once again, her goggles and muzzle protection had proven themselves to be quite useful, if unexpected.

From behind her, she heard a commotion, and saw that the yellow unicorn filly she had pounced earlier had gotten up, and was now threatening Crystal from what she could see. Now that her mind wasn't clouded by instinct anymore, she instantly realized that a filly was hardly a available threat to two full grown ponies, even if she was a unicorn. Flying over to them, she floated a few feet over the ground looking down onto the yellow filly, who had build herself up on some rocks.

"Please." She said in a low voice, naturally distorted by her muzzle protection. "I'd like to see you try."

Then, calmly and mostly to herself: "I don't even wear horseshoes."

It was cautiously sniffing the air and the feeling that nopony was standing over her anymore that led Telki to open one eye slowly

Scrabbling to her feet, she quickly assessed her surroundings and noticed that her attacker had now turned her attention to somepony else; and it appeared to be a small yellow filly standing on a pile of rocks, yelling enthusiastically about pirates.

Just behind the 2 she noticed a purple mare hanging back, and she recognized her as the one she had 'grabbed' earlier

Skirting around the white pegasus and yellow unicorn she approached the mare.

"Are you alright? I hope I didn't hold you too tightly" she asked. All the while keeping one eye out in case the pegasus decided to pounce her again

Crystal opened another eye, testing the air. No burning. She opened the other one. No burning there either. The air still smelled like salsa, but the stinging was gone. Good.

She looked over at the little unicorn in the bandanna and smiled, almost involuntarily. The little filly was so... so... adorable. In some part of her equestrian hindbrain, ancient maternal instincts flared. It felt a little like her brain was itching. "Where are your --" she was about to say 'parents', but thought better of it, remembering playing with her own younger siblings. Best to play along. "... Desert pirate crew? Are you, er, sand-wrecked all alone in here?"

"Are you alright? I hope I didn't hold you too tightly"

Crystal turned her attention to the orange unicorn. She smiled a tired little smile, starting to feel the fatigue of the day. "Yeah, I'm fine. Your magic whatsit just kinda tingled. Believe me, it's not even the half-worst thing that's happened to me, even just today." She sighed, trying to blow a strand of her mane out of her face as she did. "Still don't know what I'm gonna do about my house burning down. I don't want to go back to Manehattan." She wasn't trying to look mopey, but she was so tired, it was difficult not to.

She looked over at the little filly, and spoke to the cave in general. "So, uh, since it seems like we're not gonna all kill each other... My name's Crystal." She fought a yawn, and failed. "Crystal Towers. I've got a little bit of food, and a lot of peppers, so if you like spicy stuff you're in luck tonight."

"Everypony calls me Telki, and I'm from Manehattan too!. My brothers run the bookstore near the Manehattan Institute of Merchantry and Commerce" Telki replied. Relieved that that pony felt no ill will towards her. Getting attacked again would just ruin her day.

"Oh and thank you for the offer on dinner but I have some food of my own and I'm not really a fan of spicy foods."

Turning to look at Milky, Telki mused out loud "Your friend there seems a weeee bit toooooo.....angry. I hope she won't pounce on me again"

arpybanner.png

Despite her realistic odds, Arrow continued to play the part of a pirate. She looked up at the pegasus pony in real anger. She despised pegasus ponies' genetic gift of flight. An ability she always felt that she should have. "You think you're a tough pony huh? You think you're better than me just because you cowardly float above all your dangers? I take my challenges head-on, like a real pony."

Arrow turned to respond to Crystal. "Sand-wrecked!?" Arrow thought creatively for a moment. "No, I ain't sand-wrecked! You are! And I'm about to steal everything you have cuz I'm a pirate. So... THOSE PEPPERS! YEAH! Give me those peppers you got there, I'm taking them." Arrow turns up to Milky, "And you, hovering craven, give me your goggles. They're mine now!" Arrow had wished that she had her nightmare night costume from two years ago where she had a sneaking suit she'd wear in situations like this. She had given herself a special name and everything. But, for now, she'll have to do without it. "All you ponies have been pirated, by the Silent Storm." Arrow crouched down in a pouncing position and gave a menacing grin towards anypony would could see it.

Milky floated a bit lower to the ground, every muscle tensed to a burst, ready to dart forward if the yellow unicorn would try anything funny. Now that she thought about it, this unicorn was even smaller then her. She decided to be cautious, unicorns were not to be messed with, she knew.

"A pirate you say.." She began, gazing at her "..and you travel all alone?" She snickered. "Shouldn't a pirate have a crew?"

She continued "You sure got nerve trying to rob 3 ponies all by yourself." Her voice was devoid of happiness or levity.

• 3 weeks later...

((I totally missed your previous post there, Lordbrony! I wondered why you were waiting on me for a while there XD Sorry!))

"Everypony calls me Telki, and I'm from Manehattan too!. My brothers run the bookstore near the Manehattan Institute of Merchantry and Commerce."

“Ahh I thought the accent sounded familiar!” Crystal smiled, feeling a little relief at a reminder of home. “Nice to meet you, Telki.” She paused. "Well, as nice as it is meeting anyone in the desert, after thinking they're attacking you."

She furrowed her brow in thought. “Bookstore, eh? I know where the Institute is, well enough…” She bit her lip and tapped a hoof, trying to picture it. “I… miiight have been there. Usually mom just made us tag along inside the Institute. A bookstore would’ve been more fun.”

At the mention of spicy foods, Crystal grinned. "Yeah, they're not quite for everyone. Not sure even I'd risk it out in such a dry place right now, and I'm pretty sure my blood is as much capsaicin as it is... whatever the red part is."

"Your friend there seems a weeee bit toooooo.....angry. I hope she won't pounce on me again"

Crystal looked over at Milky, shrugging. “She means well. I think.” She bit her lip again. “Probably. I’ve only known her for a day, but she did save my life, so that puts a couple of marks in the ‘good’ column in my book.”

"No, I ain't sand-wrecked! You are! And I'm about to steal everything you have cuz I'm a pirate. So... THOSE PEPPERS! YEAH! Give me those peppers you got there, I'm taking them."

Crystal, feigning distress, pulled out a small package of dried peppers she'd brought with her. "Not... not my peppers!" Hooves shaking, she 'accidentally' fumbled the package and dropped it near the little filly. "Just... just don't eat them, I worked so hard on them!" She put on her best fake pout. The darkness may or may not have concealed her terrible acting.

She had no idea what the filly's heat tolerance was, but she had at least not gone with the mouth-melting ghost peppers. The chipotle variety would be plenty spicy to get the point across, in all probability.

"Well its a nice place to read and learn about things" said Telki "Daddy did always prefer to sell science and business books. I spent a lot of afternoons reading there"

She would have continued, but was interrupted by the yellow unicorn filly, now calling herself Silent Storm, yelling about robbing them blind. In response, Telki saw Crystal approach the filly and proceed with a relatively terrible monologue about begging to be not robbed. She smiled, reminded of the comedic plays she had read on many a rainy, dreary Manehattan afternoon.

Noticing that now the white Pegasus was staring menacingly at Silent Storm and guessing that Silent Storm really wasn't being serious with her threats. Keeping her magic primed just in case the Pegasus make a go at her again, she barked:

"Hey you! What do you think you are doing being so mean to everypony! Can't you see she's just a filly!"

arpybanner.png

Arrow kept up her intimidating, and annoying, attitude for as long as she could hold it. As Crystal began hoofing over the peppers to Arrow, she swiped them away and put them next to her. She laughed menacingly while she did it. "Yes, ah ha ha ha! All mine! Arrrrgh!"

As the adult ponies began talking about books and stuff that Arrow didn't care about, the filly grabbed one of the peppers and waved it in front of her face. She then sniffed it for flavor. Not yet getting any immediate effect of the pepper's heat, she shrugged, and commenced to bring it forward to her mouth. But then Milky grabbed her attention before she could place it in her mouth. "A crew!?" Arrow tapped her chin with her hoof a few times, before shrugging off a casual response. "Oh yeah, I had a crew." Arrow stepped on a rock very proudly. "But I killed them all for not doing what I say." Arrow gave an evil smile as to intimidate any imagination further.

She jumped off the rock and bounced back her emotion. With a now warm personality, she asked the ponies a question that was almost like asking them if they wanted to be friends. "Hey, you guys wanna be my new crew?" And then as she asked, she had heard Telki call Arrow a filly. "What!?" Arrow stomped her cute little hooves over to her. "You think that just because I'm not as old as you that I'm not capable of great things? Great things like flying a kite, or winning a race," Arrow began to talk slower and tear up, "or make good grades in school, or learn how to fly," Arrow fell to the ground, "or even know who your parents are and why they left you in the desert?" Arrow began forming a small puddle of tears. She would only let herself do so for a few seconds before picking herself back up and holding back extra tears. She looked back at all the ponies who surrounded her.

The white pegasus floated in the air uncertainly. Upon closer examination, She did look pretty young, and she was smaller even then Milky herself. She carefully floated closer to the ground, drawing nearer the the yellow unicorn. She removed her muzzle protection and goggles, and let them dangle around her shoulders. She extended one hoof, toward her invitingly.

"I'm sorry." She began. "I thought you were attacking us. You can't be too careful in the desert."

She looked apologetic. It looked an awful lot like she had made a mistake, pouncing a filly like that.

"Can't be careful enough in the desert..." She grumbled. She gave a friendly smile a try, but it wasn't terribly convincing, she haven't had many opportunities to practice.

Crystal bit her lip at the sight of the filly's welling tears. She was never certain how to deal with foals crying. The last time she'd had to deal with it, she was a foal herself, and the solution comprised of hitting her siblings until they stopped and ran to mom.

Not really applicable experience here.

Milky spoke. Can't be too careful in the desert. That was true enough. Images of the burning cabin flashed in Crystal's memory. She winced at the fresh pain and anticipation of forthcoming embarrassment. She didn't want to see the look on her mother's face when she came crawling back, asking for more money...

She looked back at the filly, on the verge of tears. This little one didn't even know where her parents were. By comparison, Crystal's problems didn't seem so bad.

Crystal cleared her throat. "Well, you stole some of my crop, so you're pretty good at pirating." She was doing her best to sound upbeat, but she wasn't sure if she had the energy for it. "And crew-killing, apparently. What else do you really need?" She shrugged.

"I'd offer to join your new crew, but I'm not too big on walking the plank for insubordination." She grinned at Milky. "Milky here might be well-suited to be your parrot, though." She thought for a moment. "And Telki... Telki could either hold rival crews in place while you give 'em the shakedown, or be a good figurehead for the prow of the, uh... sand-boat?"

• 3 weeks later...

Telki was wondering what to do; clearly this crying yellow filly was a wee bit on the deluded side, and yet Telki felt sorry for her

"Well I don't know she said" she said grinning "shaking down rival crews would be easy but being strapped to the prow would be realy uncomfortable, not to mention boring, and you haven't told me how much you're paying" she winked at the mention of the word paying.

"Anyway, what all good pirates need for their cave hideaway is a good campfire, anypony here have any twigs or leaves or other assorted stuff that can burn?"

arpybanner.png

Arrow's eyelids absorbed what was left of her tears. She listened to Crystal's suggestions, and agreed. "Yeah!" She looked up at Milky. "Hay, parrot! I order you to give me a storm update. Is it safe to go out yet?" She the turned to Telki. "Have you see some of my rival crew?" Arrow thought for a moment, as she knew very well she had no rival crew. However, she did have rivals. And it consisted of every pony in the Appleloosan schoolhouse that made fun of her flightlessness. "You know, the meanies from Appleloosa?"

Arrow turned back to Crystal, who at this point had been pretty helpful. "Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I'll make you my first mate!" Arrow celebrated the thought by grabbing the pepper she had before stalled to consume. She placed it in her mouth and gave it a satisfying crunch, spraying all of the acidic juices into her mouth. Moments later, Arrow's face turned fiery red and smoke began to exhaust out her ears. Arrow panicked. "Ahhhhh, its hot!!! SPI-CAYYY" Arrow perspired all of the place. She began pacing everywhere looking for something to cool herself down, but to no avail. "Water! I need water!"

Milky gave a resounding sigh. The situation seemed to be harmless, but she wasn't all that interested in games.

"Let's get a fire going. It will get fairly cold soon."

She floated up to a ledge, looking for the wood she had deposited there for just an occasion like this. Good thing she had stored some extra blanket, too. They would need them later when...

"Water! I need water!"

Milky spun around in mid air, trying to see what just happened. She grabbed a couple of waterskins, and darted down, landing heavily next to the yellow unicorn filly. She dropped the waterskins on the ground.

"Here, drink." She said with a slightly worried expression. "I got more on another ledge."