Discord's Everfree Adventure

Manestream

Discord's Everfree Adventure

Be sure to keep to the path dimly lit by the luminary bags. If you stay in the light, none of the forest creatures will harm you. On the night when you should most fear the Everfree Forest, a spell will keep you safe—so long as you keep to the path ahead!

The forest is starting to look ever increasingly intimidating in the pale luminescence of Luna's perfectly controlled moon...a dusky glow falling upon everything around you, giving an almost ethereal feel to the massively overbearing surroundings, the rustling of the leaves and bushes starting to become more regular, and the howls of unseen creatures are beginning to be more frequent than perhaps they would have been only a short time ago.

Still, you go ever onwards...the promised candy must be ahead somewhere, and even the dull echoes of laughter in the wind will not deter the group treading through the woods off of the beaten track. However, the uncertainty of the gloomy shadows ahead are still very much alive and well within everypony, and whispers of soft fear are becoming more common. The potential for danger or reward lies closer to you now than the return journey home does...

Determined to reach the promised prize, you all press onward with hope ever present, in your heart!

Starburst walks down the lit path, taking extra special care not to stray from the path lit by the lanterns, her wings are tiny from poison joke and her costume is slightly dirty from all the pranking she's endured, so she shies away from every other pony, much like any other day. She flinches and moves away from the edges of the pathway whenever she hears a creature howl or growl from beyond the protective barrier, shaking with fear. Her eyes wet from prior crying.

Turns was now as tiny as a new born foal. The poison joke had made him tiny. Made him helpless, well atleat he felt helpless. This was a sad stroll through the forest this time. "Maybe i can get sompony to help me back to the festival grounds."

"Ecuse me miss can you help me." the tiny turms asked in his squeaky little voice.

Insight was a bit disappointed that he didn't get to see any of the Princesses. He decided to go to a place he hasn't been to yet. Following the path of lanterns, he began to feel at ease once more. Even though the forest was scary at night, he thought that it was nice and peaceful. He noticed two Ponies already there. The young mare, who was crying back at the monument and the other Pony who was in the ghost costume. Something was different about them though, particularly the Pony who had the ghost costume.

"Wait a minute, wasn't he a young colt?" Insight asks himself. "How come he looks like a foal now?"

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Ginger Mint found herself wandering back into the Everfree Forest, only this time she was going on purpose. She'd seen so many great tricks tonight, tricks that had her utterly convinced until the very end when the deception was revealed for what it really was. As scared as she had been, she admitted to herself that the being able to see the same thing in a different light was exciting. Her first trip down this path had been strange indeed, and she was curious now what hidden truths she might have missed.

"Ponyville sure knows how to throw a Nightmare Night celebration," she said to nopony in particular, "I haven't seen such an effort since I was a filly. Or maybe it has something to do with Princess Luna's return?"

She made a mental note to ask some of her friends back home what the festivities were like. If it was an Equestria wide trend, she might have to help out with the preparations next year. Clever ideas and quite a few not so clever ideas were being tossed around in her head as she walked deeper into the forest. Each new shadowy figure hiding behind a tree was a new inspiration. Her pace wasn't particularly fast since she was trying to take in the scenery, but she still managed to walk up on one littler pony who's tiny legs couldn't carry him very fast and a pegasus with wings that looked like they might have been the right size for her tiny companion.

One of them looked sad, the other one looked terrified.

There's no way this can be a trick. Costumes and shadow play is one thing, but shrinking somepony in size? It has to be an illusion. Surely those aren't real ponies... but what if they are?

She wasn't sure what she could do for the two of them, if anything. She couldn't use unicorn magic to turn them back to normal, if indeed this wasn't normal for the two of them, and unless a hot cup of tea was an appropriate cure, it seemed like something that was outside the scope of her special talent. Still, she had to do something. Watching the poor mare startle again and again was too much to bear.

She hurried her pace up to a trot and was just clearing her throat to speak when the little pony -the littlest pony- spoke up in a voice that would have been comical if not for the situation. Ginger Mint didn't want to frighten the two of them any further so she decided to try whistling a jaunty tune as she approached. Hopefully giving them enough warning to not be startled.

"Um... Howdy y'all! I hear tell yer looking fer a spot ah help? I don't know my way round these here parts so well mahself, but I reckon this path is like a big ol' loop and if we jus keep moseyin' ahead, we'll be back in Ponyville lickity split."

She was pretty sure that was the case anyway. She really hadn't been paying attention to where she was going last time, and it was possible she might have gotten turned around somewhere, but she didn't think so. Just to be safe though, she decided to stick with the two of them until they got back, so long as they didn't run off screaming that was.

Douglas had decided to return to the Discord Adventure path. After his little Poison Joke incident had worn off he felt his embarrassment over the situation fade away. It was a good thing too. Just ahead with a group of ponies was somepony he knew, Ginger Mint. "Thank Celestia it wore off before I got here." He thought, making sure to brush up his costume. The faux Detective was back on the case! Giving a slight adjustment to his beige Fedora and overcoat he began his approach.

Stepping closer to greet his friend he inspected the situation ahead of him and it seemed like she was trying to help some other ponies who probably found themselves on the bad side of a Poison Joke prank. He suddenly wasn't feeling so chipper about his own worries now. Finally bringing himself close enough to the group he spoke up. "Did they get Poison Joked as well?" He asked Ginger as he looked over the group. Noticing the two sulking ponies, he decided to admit to his incident. "Come on now, the Poison Joke wears off. Look at me, a mere hour ago I looked like I got in a fight with an open paint can. Nightmare Night is about having fun."

Lotus

Lotus smiled to herself as she was moving again to forest, where she was poison joked. But she thought this time she maybe will be lucky and it will not happen, atleast she had two candies so she was very happy about it. Again in Red Jester costume that had a very long coat to ground, her face had white make-up, on the costume there was a Diamond and Heart on it. Lotus as always didn't came too much to other ponies, in this costume she decided again to observer other ponies and what they was doing. She needed to prepare very well for upcoming days and talking with other ponies right now could screw her idea, she just was a silent watcher in night.

"Hee hee...I got to see him, I got to see him..."

Savory trotted along the path in a happy daze, her eyes half-lidded in a dreamlike expression. Last night she had accomplished her secret goal and was able to catch a glimpse of the demon of chaos before she found herself in a patch of Poison Joke that he had materialized around the group she had been with. She hadn't even cared that everything she ate earlier tasted like chocolate milk. To Savory, it was a gift unlike any other that she had received before, and she had loved it.

"Thank you for the lovely surprise, you tricky devil." She said to herself, grinning. "Now if only I could get a kiss, that would be perfect..."

And off Savory walked down the path, blushing as she went.

MAdFR.png

What to do... What to do... I've already been here... But there really isn't anywhere else to go... Maybe I should just sit here and wait at the entrance? Or maybe I should go through the labyrinth of trees... Maybe I just need to sit down..." His thoughts were sporadic, despite his still "calm and collected" appearance.

He opted for another journey through the forest, despite his strong feelings against the decision. He trotted through, ducking under overhanging branches, stepping over roots all while following the lit trail through the murky atmosphere. "Well... This isn't very fun... Or even scary for that matter... Why didn't I stay back, I've seen this all before...

"C-can u h-help me, i dont want to be this small anymore." The miniature turns managed to sqeak. "There is somithing wrong here i think this is what the poison joke did to me." Oh yes Discords poison joke trick. It was awfull, this was no joke as far as turns was concerned he had already been stepped on once and it still kinda hurt. "Umm exuse me ma'am, woah!" turns exclaimed as he tripped over a tree root and feel into the mudpuddle on the other side. "Oh perfect now im tiny and muddy."

This night could not get much worse, But at least he still had his candy, and hopefully a freind that wouldnt step on him.

Douglas looked down at the foal sized pony clamoring for someponies attention. He slowly bent down to meet the pony face to face. "Oh my, I must say that's definitely one bad case of Poison Joke and I thought I had it bad." Douglas said, watching the little pony move about the ground. "Listen, it'll wear off over time. Ah suppose you should try to find someone whose aware of their footing." Having finished addressing the shrunken pony, Douglas moved over to the Pegasus mare and watched her just solemnly stroll. "Are you...alright? Come on, the Poison Joke will go away. If'n you can't wait I'm sure you can find someone who might know a cure."

Douglas watched the mare a little longer before looking to the other ponies trying to help with a gentle shrug. He slowly let out a little sigh as he just walked along the path as well. "Come on, everypony. I'm sure at the end of the path we'll get some kind of candy! That'll cheer everypony up!"

Turns took the advise from the larger ponies decideing after he swam out of the mud puddle that he would stick near the ponies who acctually watched were they were going. He was still having trouble keeping his balance on his short legs though and everynow and then would fall in front of somepony and have to quickly move out of the way. After a few times doing this turns was exausted and finally just fell over to try and get some rest.

"Phew," he exclaimed, "Being this small and trying to keep up sure aint easy," he thought to himself 'Maybe i can get somepony to give me a ride.'

"Excuse me Mrs., I hate to ask this but can u carry me its getting awful hard for me to keep up just til we are out of this terrifying place."

new_luna_vector_by_petalfluff-d4dfa4a.png

Nightmare Moon's monument was one of the most fearsome places known in Ponyville. A group of brave ponies all stood before the statue in awe until they realized it wasn't a statue at all. It was the real thing!

"Pitiful little foals!" The tall black mare cried at the group of cowering ponies in front of her. "You think this measley pile of candy will please me? Do you not know who I am? I am NIGHTMARE MOON!" you and your temporary companions tremble before the terrifying mare, afraid to even breathe whilst in her ghostly presence. "There is only one way to right this terrible wrong!" she continued to inspect each off your companion like a fresh piece of celery. If that's what she likes to eat, that is...

"She's going to eat us!" somepony whispered, "This is it!" the pony's voice was shaking uncontrollably.

"Scatter!" screeched another voice. "Everypony for themselves!"

The group of ponies ran in different directions, all trying to escape the powerful alicorn, only to see that it was pitch black at every turn! As though the only source of light was coming from the evil one herself. "No so fast!Where do all of you think you are going? You have not faced your proper punishment for disturbing my solace!"

Everypony soon came back in front of Nightmare Moon, their shaking visible as they waited for their doom to come upon them. "Nopony can leave until ..." the group clenched their eyes tightly, not seeing Nightmare Moon transform back into Princess Luna before finishing her sentence. "... until you all have two pieces of candies for being such brave souls!"

The group of ponies recieved two pieces of candy with false bravado on their faces, trying to act as if they weren't as scared as they had seemed. You all trot away from the smiling Princess, laughing nervously at the one experience you were sure never to forget!

Douglas' heart pounded inside his chest as he recovered from the scare. This was the second time Princess Luna had scared him silly! He wasn't sure how many more times he could afford to let himself be scared like this, it was going to start causing heart complications if he kept being frightened in such a way! Still, feeling a little better that she was willing to reward him and the other ponies with two pieces of candy he felt that it softened the scare.

"Wow, did she git us good or what?!" Douglas exclaimed, with his eyes fully open and his chest gasping for air. "Alright, everypony! The final hour is upon us!" Feeling a surge of courage coming on, Douglas reared up on his hind legs and thrust one of his forelegs into the air as the gleaming light from the luminaries painted a bright yellow background behind him. "Get all the Candy!"

Just a little ways ahead of her, Savory suddenly heard a booming female voice ring out through the trees, shouting threatening things at the group of ponies in front of her. Galloping up to meet them, her eyes widened at the sight of Nightmare Moon, her mind a blur as she struggled thinking of what to do. Dancing nervously on her hooftips, Savory finally decided to lay down on the grass and brace herself for what the dark mare had planned for her.

"Please, Your Darkness...please let us go without incident..." she whispered, her eyes shut tight.

Just then, Savory noticed a flash of light through her eyelids and opened one violet eye slightly to see that Nightmare Moon was no longer standing in front of the ponies. Instead, Princess Luna was in her place, praising them for their courage and handing each two pieces of candy. Savory slowly got up and took her two pieces before bowing her head toward the princess and setting off with the rest of the group.

"I do appreciate the candy, but I don't think I'd want another scare like that," she said to herself, sighing.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Perhaps if she'd been a pegasus, Ginger Mint would have been able to help the poor little foal, colt, stallion... whatever he was. At least help out after being covered in mud. A little bit of rain would surely do the trick, but beyond that, Ginger Mint couldn't think of anywhere else to find a bath at this hour.

"Well shucks, there's a pool ah water with some sorta alligator in it at Pinkie Pie's haunted house, but I'd steer clear ah that place if'n I was you."

She'd been so preoccupied with the distressed little pony -who's age she had no way of estimating- that she didn't notice Douglas trot up behind her. She gave a little bit of a start when he spoke up, but the way he talked with his bubble pipe quickly brought a smile to her face and she stifled a chuckle.

What is this poison joke everyone keeps talking about? I remember hearing somepony talking about it last time I was in Ponyville too, but I couldn't even find a reference to it. If it wasn't for the fact that everyone in Ponyville seems to know what it is though, I'd swear it was entirely make believe.

The foal's request for a ride wasn't that unreasonable, and she already needed to wash off her poncho anyway, but she didn't quite get the chance to balance him on her back before the moon suddenly dimmed and a great swath of darkness surrounded the group.

"Not again!"

It was all she could think of as she picked up the foal by the scruff of his neck and made a dash to the edge of the clearing. The darkness was supernaturally deep and she found herself treading on what felt like thin air as she tried to escape. She wasn't about to fail now though, not with somepony else's life hanging in the balance, or more specifically, her mouth. She kept pushing ahead into the darkness, only to find herself facing back towards Nightmare Moon again.

"Nopony can leave until... until you all have two pieces of candy for being such brave souls!"

Once again, the light of the moon shined down upon them just a little bit brighter as the illusion was dispelled and the darkness fled away, no doubt to find solace with the rest of itself in the deep places of the forest. Gently, she lowered the foal back to the ground and let him dash on ahead to pick up some of the candy left behind by the Princess.