I thought of this tonight, and want to see if I can get it to catch on: Rarity's Dad. Football cutie mark. Mid-western accent, possibly Wisconsin. His name needs to be "Packer."

hi hi

Its certainly possible to look at every action anyone does in a negative light if you are so inclined. But really, psychological egoism is a trap that you ought not to fall into, and ethical egoism only really works if you can assume perfect foresight, which you really shouldn't. (i mean, if you could assume perfect foresight, you wouldn't need stop signs, because obviously nobody would ever do anything to harm themselves so they'd never get into an accident going through an intersection.)

It took an awful lot for Rarity to realize her mistake, but she was mature enough to listen to Applejack's advice. Sweetie Belle wasn't willing to listen so she needed proof that things weren't how she thought they were. It wasn't a trick, it was the honest truth. Its like saying that double blind studies are horrible tricks because neither the experimenter or the subject know everything about the experiment. Overcoming bias is a important part of being honest, so it makes sense that Applejack (being the element of honesty) would think of it.

If there's anyone who didn't learn a valuable lesson about friendship in Luna Eclipsed, its Pinkie Pie, but the episode wasn't about her. It was about Luna, and how she couldn't accept what everypony had for what it was. She didn't bother to understand why everypony even had the festival every year, she just swooped in and wanted to change it to suit her own tastes. But eventually she was able to look at it through the perspective of her subjects and realize that it wasn't a bad thing after all and didn't need to be changed.

(You can't just walk into an already existing social group and expect them to change the nature of their group for a newcomer just like that, if you really want to join that group you should respect what they've already got going on. Besides, Zecora enjoyed scaring everyone with her magic just fine, and the Mayor would have gotten away with it if not for her silly wig.)

@Ginger Mint

What do you mean? Of course it was a trick. They intentionally mislead Sweetie to believe a falsehood. I'm not saying that their deceit was malicious, and I understand the need for deception in science but my point still stands. Sweety Bell didn't "overcome" anything; she was just proven wrong.

As for the Luna episode, well, I don't agree that it was about Luna. Really, it was about Twilight and her efforts to help socialize Luna. She got Fluttershy to teach Luna how to speak and she got Apple Jack to teach her how to act (and she would have gotten Rarity to teach her how to dress if the scene wasn't cut). The logical conclusion would be that Luna eventually learned how to become less intimidating so that the other ponies could finally give her a chance and eventually accept her as part of the group. Maybe end with Luna enjoying the holiday with all her new friends. Instead, she remains an outsider and just has to accept that she is feared and demonised because that's just what the ingroup does and who is she to interfere with that.

hi hi

They didn't say at any point that Rarity covered in mud was Applejack, they lead her realize an important truth. Compromise doesn't need to involve overcoming anything, but if you like, Sweetie Belle overcame her disaffection. She'd refused to ever be Rarity's sister again, even when Rarity came to apologize, and she overcame her bias. She could have continued to be unforgiving if she'd wanted, but she didn't.

As for Luna, the episode was a classic 5 act. Act 4 reveals the false direction that the first 3 acts had been moving in. Twilight realized that she'd been going about it all wrong, trying to change Luna, and in turn Luna learned that she shouldn't have been trying to change everypony else. She realized that everypony liked being scared on Nightmare Night, and that she wasn't being demonized at all.

• Like 1

@Ginger Mint

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this episode because I don't believe that Sweetie Bell learned anything except that Rarity needed to change. And as for the Luna episode, that's not what Twilight wrote in her report to Celestia. In fact, the frienship report made it sound like the episode ended the way I thought it should have: "one of the best things you can do with friendship is to give it to others, and help them find it themselves", "... all of Ponyville has learned that, even if somepony seems a little intimidating, even scary, when you offer them your friendship you'll discover a whole new pony underneath." I believe that if the moral had been that you shouldn't try to change people then the report should have been much different.

Finally finished watching the episode.

Like any other episode, it simply made me smile.

Nothing too epic, or too meaningful, or too 'controversial' , as some might say. :P

In any case, I liked it. Rarity's definitely getting cooler in this season. ;)

• Like 1

I didn't notice. It wouldn't surprise me at all though considering pretty much all the voice actors who work on the show live in Canada.

And I've had some thoughts on this, Phil.

After listening to Rarity's parents' voices several times, they sound like they're voiced by Canadian actors Eugene Levy and Andrea Martin (who go back to SCTV fame and more recently, voiced a porcupine 'couple' in the animated movie 'Over The Hedge').

What do y'all think?

And I've had some thoughts on this, Phil.

After listening to Rarity's parents' voices several times, they sound like they're voiced by Canadian actors Eugene Levy and Andrea Martin (who go back to SCTV fame and more recently, voiced a porcupine 'couple' in the animated movie 'Over The Hedge').

What do y'all think?

Definitely not Eugene Levy. I have seen enough of his work to recognize his voice right off (he and Catherine O'Hara are two of my favorite actors, and when they are in the same movie or skit I freak out- unless said movie is cgi). Rarity's dad's voice is way too high pitched, and even when Levy speaks higher you can still hear the kind of aftergrowl. Plus we haven't had any celebrity guest voice actors, really just people who are working voice actors on the show. Dunno about the woman, though.

hi hi

I'm pretty sure John de Lancie is the only celebrity voice actor we've seen so far. He's listed in the show's credits on IMDb anyway. I doubt that a celebrity voice actor would work on a project where they didn't get any credit, so I'm guessing its either one of the main voice actors or someone from the staff who stepped up for the moment like the guy who did Flutterguy's voice.

Definitely not Eugene Levy. I have seen enough of his work to recognize his voice right off (he and Catherine O'Hara are two of my favorite actors, and when they are in the same movie or skit I freak out- unless said movie is cgi). Rarity's dad's voice is way too high pitched, and even when Levy speaks higher you can still hear the kind of aftergrowl. Plus we haven't had any celebrity guest voice actors, really just people who are working voice actors on the show. Dunno about the woman, though.

Oh YES we have had uncredited celebrity guest voices on the show!

Remember the Season 2 premier? That WAS John De Lancie (of STNG "Q" fame) who did the voice of Discord.

It stands to reason that many other semi-famous celebs might want to do cameo voice work for the series, since it is a 'cult' sensation.

But I do agree Rarity's dad is probably not Eugene Levy. Possibly Rick Moranis?

hi hi

Wow, I went back and looked at the credits from Return of Harmony and sure enough, John De Lancie wasn't listed. I'm really quite shocked and flabbergasted. They really ought to have a "guest voices" section in the credits.

Also: usually when you request that someone to agree to disagree, you don't continue the argument immediately after said request. Sooo...

81822%20-%20Sweetie_Belle%20compromise%20rarity.png

But reading your points I think both of them are partially to blame for everything that happened; Yes, Rarity should have told Sweetie Belle to be careful of certain things, she probably assumed that Sweetie Belle had a level of knowledge that she simply didn't have, and warned her that she would probably be busy working for a while and reccomend that she go play with her friends or something along those lines (The point about Rarity not providing any toys for Sweetie Belle isn't really valid since 1. With all those bags Sweetie Belle brought there had to have been a few toys in her luggage 2. Sweetie Belle was probably hyper focusing and when you hyper focus you could have hundreds of options avalible but if the option you're focusing on isn't avalible, the hundreds of avalible options don't matter). On the other hand Sweetie Belle could have asked "Is it alright if I use these gem stones in my picture?" or "How long do you think your project will take?" and thought that since her previous attempts at being helpful had ended so badly she should ask before trying another (though the case could be that she just dosen't understand the concept of "The bad favour" some adults still struggle with the concept).

Of course one important factor that we're missing is how old the Cutie Mark Crusaders really are, if they're about 11 and a bit imature for their age (the age I think they are) then Sweetie Belle should be able to entertain herself or at least accept that sometimes people don't want to be helped and it's not a personal attack, it's just that they need it to be done a certain way and during the breakfast scene Rarity could have shown Sweetie Belle how to cook properly instead of having her stand several feet away. And of course her parents could have asked when they were still planning the trip, it's suggested that when they told Sweetie Belle that she'd be staying with Rarity during the week that it would be a chance for them to "spend quality time together" which is what Sweetie Belle expected from the visit, if they had asked in advance they would have know that Rarity would be busy that week and would have framed it differently.

But I like that both had points where they were the one that wouldn't listen to the other, I've seen it happen alot where either the younger sibling is obxious or a complete idiot and gets away with ruining something important to the older sibling (which usually isn't fixed because most childrens shows like to ignore that one of the characters has lost something important to them) because it's written off as "They're still learning", or the older sibling is unreasonable and ends up upsetting the younger sibling who eventually forgives them after realising "They were concerned for my well being" and if they're lucky they'll get to prove that they're more capable than their older sibling thought and be able to do/have that thing they wanted. Instead they both had a point where they were trying to get the other to do something they really did not want to do and they both had a point where they were trying to please the other and were rejected. And while they did ultimately end up doing the race as Sweetie Belle wanted to, they didn't turn it into one of those "I forgot what it's like to be your age" moments, because it isn't always a matter of forgetting what it's like to be a certain age and wanting to do something, rather it's a matter of not being able to understand why somebody would want to do something because it's something you've never wanted to do

Amen! I may not have a sister but I have a mother who likes to spontaneously tidy, so I know the feeling.

With me it's my Dad, fortunately he spends most of his time in his office downstairs and when he does do this it's limited to moving a few things and complaining about the mess. The really agravating one is cleaning because of a holiday or because we can't clean the floor properly any more which ends up leading to "Why did you have to clean this room?" or "Where did you put my (thing I'm looking for)?" "I don't know" "Well can you help me look for it?" "I'm busy, besides it's your (thing that you're looking for)" "Yes, but if you hadn't put it away, I would still know where it is" or something along those lines

Apropos to nothing:

142a6wy.jpg

Most likely, actually I can think of several first generation Ponies that could work as her real mother, maybe she also had an adult mentor that she takes after (Maybe Heart-Throb)

Oh YES we have had uncredited celebrity guest voices on the show!

Remember the Season 2 premier? That WAS John De Lancie (of STNG "Q" fame) who did the voice of Discord.

That was a WEE bit different. He was pretty much just playing the same character he played on Star Trek, and we all knew about it beforehand, AND he had the major speaking part of an episode.

Now if there had been oblique references to Ghostbusters, Honey I shrunk the Kids, Etc, then I would believe that it was Rick Moranis. The writers are not going to miss that chance.

Plus only a handful of lines? I honestly don't think it's anyone super famous in a non-voice acting capacity. It kind of sounds like Frank Welker, who has a precedent of working on My Little Pony, and with Hasbro in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKJt2Sv1-ts

Most likely, actually I can think of several first generation Ponies that could work as her real mother, maybe she also had an adult mentor that she takes after (Maybe Heart-Throb)

Maybe in a revised "canon", but originally Lauren Faust used very limited characterizations of the gen 1 ponies, and gave them personalities (with the exception of Firefly, who was already cool) that she wanted to. And our girls are based on those personalities, so I dunno. Heart Throb was a bit much to handle :D

She was originally supposed to just straight up be Sparkler, who was barely in the show.

40366_140968312601707_128739440491261_258338_5630058_n.jpg

(The point about Rarity not providing any toys for Sweetie Belle isn't really valid since 1. With all those bags Sweetie Belle brought there had to have been a few toys in her luggage 2. Sweetie Belle was probably hyper focusing and when you hyper focus you could have hundreds of options avalible but if the option you're focusing on isn't avalible, the hundreds of avalible options don't matter).

Heyyy, that's a good point. Growing up, half of the stuff I packed WAS toys. My mom often had to go in my suitcase after I was done and make sure I'd actually packed clothes. What kinda kid doesn't take along at least a handful of their favorite toys? I almost always at least brought a stuffed animal.

That said, there was also something about grandma's house that radiated boredom rays no matter how many toys I brought (probably the fact that it was a lot quieter), so I can see how Sweetie Belle would still be bored, even if she had brought a suitcase full of toys.

This episode made me smile! Also made me realize I was a horrible big sister growing up, dang. >.> I got over it, though; my brothers and I seem to get along pretty well now, at least. (We're even all bronies. I kind of have a rockin' family.) I just wish it hadn't taken me until I moved away to college to stop brushing them off. :/

Personally I see no fault save Sweetie Belles for being so unrealistically inept and problematic in every thing she does. If a situation were to arise wherein you were forced to take care of someone who couldn't act save destroying everything, it's hardly your fault as both the person was forced upon you and their actions are what causes the detriment of your living and household.

In typical FIM style though, Rarity has learnt compromise, and they've become closer as a pair because of it. (though the whole switching during the race thing was a little protracted) I liked this episode for perhaps some of the strongest character building ever seen in an episode. Only two main characters appear. Unprecedented!

Also, did anyone notice that Derpy and Berry switched daughters in the race?

hi hi

Someone else brought this to my attention earlier, but I must admit I gasped in shock at the implications. In this episode we learned that Sweetie Belle was able to burn juice. That takes talent. Could it be that her special talent is fire? Everyone's assumption of a singing cutie mark just got a little more uncertain. :P

hi hi

Someone else brought this to my attention earlier, but I must admit I gasped in shock at the implications. In this episode we learned that Sweetie Belle was able to burn juice. That takes talent. Could it be that her special talent is fire? Everyone's assumption of a singing cutie mark just got a little more uncertain. :P

A similar event actually happened to me when I was 6. I managed to screw up graham crackers with jelly. GRAHAM CRACKERS OUT OF A BOX. To this day I am not sure why I put them in the toaster oven. With the jelly and cream cheese on them (I don't even know what I was trying to make) Also, I was laboring under the assumption that when you made coffee, you PACKED that sucker.

My dad never forgave me.

It was not a good breakfast. If there was juice, I probably would have scorched it.

Previous breakfast included trying to cook eggs, shells and all, directly on the stovetop. It was misfortunate that my parents were heavy sleepers. :D

• Like 4

hi hi

Not just fire - I'm theorizing that her special talent is destruction. Between "Sisterhooves Social" and "The Stare Master", she's proven herself able to cause untold devastation with only the tiniest effort (fetching a ribbon, or putting parsley on a plate). What if her special talent really is being destructive? It would be a huge contrast with her big sister's talent for creation, and could make for an interesting story about how your skills don't define who you are.

A similar event actually happened to me when I was 6. I managed to screw up graham crackers with jelly. GRAHAM CRACKERS OUT OF A BOX. To this day I am not sure why I put them in the toaster oven. With the jelly and cream cheese on them (I don't even know what I was trying to make) Also, I was laboring under the assumption that when you made coffee, you PACKED that sucker.

My dad never forgave me.

It was not a good breakfast. If there was juice, I probably would have scorched it.

Previous breakfast included trying to cook eggs, shells and all, directly on the stovetop. It was misfortunate that my parents were heavy sleepers. :D

LOL.

Wow, just wow.

By the way, I declare this best AJ episode so far in season 2! Yay!