How did you find ponies?

Tam

I think my girlfriend first discovered that MLP was a thing when lots of people showed up on LiveJournal with pony-related icons. She found the first episode on YouTube, and while I was initially skeptical ("Seriously? They named a character Twilight Sparkle?"), the fairy tale at the beginning, with Nightmare Moon banished to the moon for a thousand years, convinced me that the show was worth taking seriously, and by the time I figured out that that particular story arc wasn't going to last beyond the pilot, the depth of characterisation had me hooked.

I saw the odd thing on the internet about the new show, but I didn't really care about it.

It wasn't until I bumped into a friend I hadn't seen for an age who recommended it to me. At first, I still didn't care about it, and it wasn't until I saw an article about one of the many fan games on The Escapist, the same day, that I gave in and watched an episode... Then another, and another.

And well, here we are :)

• Like 1

Saw then on /b/, paid no attention.

Saw them on e621, ie macros and such.

Figured well hey if it's here.

Went to 4chan, found the active /b/ thread and youtubed it.

At this point it was about episode 13/14, I think.

Now I have hundreds of dollars of pony.

Because they're rather pricey here, in some cases.

Love the hell out of these pastel things though. Seriously.

Friendship, tolerance, etc.

Someone started a thread on a Sonic forum I visit and I was like, "WTF you guys smoking?" I didn't have any plans of watching the show but kept up with the chatter, genuinely intrigued by the notion that a bunch of guys would enjoy a show known for being incredibly girly. Them someone linked me to some fan remixes, namely Golden Cupcakes (for those who don't know, Daft Punk mixed with Cupcakes) and I was hooked. I listened to the song about every day before the guy showed me Super Ponybeat, which I promptly downloaded. It took a couple more weeks but I ended up checking out the show around the time episode 24 aired and of course liked it.

And that's how Equestria was made.

• Like 1

I was on a random forum one of my friends invited me to one night. I realized EVERYONE but me had an avatar taken from Ponydom. After another hour of being hounded by the other users I watched episodes 1&2. I was apprehensive, but after 3 (Gotta Love Applebuck Season) I was hooked.

• Like 1

It's pretty weird but I happened to be flippin through the TV channels and under one of my favorite channels (Nicktoons, for Invader Zim and Avatar) was the Hub channel. At that moment My Little Pony Friendship is Magic was on and I got curious... (anyone recall the creepy and super girly commercials, I sure did, and that's what expected to see. To be exact, I expected to see an idiotic, stupid tea party with the creepy looking ponys acting like stupid mindless baby girls)... Ironically, I did see a pony having a party with inanimate objects. (Yes, you know the episode) By the power of God or something, My first dose of pony was Pinkie Pie's Psychotic Breakdown in the episode, "Party for One"... I was shocked that it was so cute, it had good voice actors, it had a moral to it, it was funny, and most of all, I totally dig insanity in shows... for some reason...(honestly, I was caught completely off guard, because Pinkie Pie's burst of insanity scared me at first). I was infected by pony goodness. I had to see another episode. I missed a week, but I happened to start watching the very start of the rerun of the series. That means it saw the first episode, you know, "The Mare in the Moon". I went to You Tube to watch more and found out that there were more guys who liked the show too! Thanks Bronys! You made me who I am!

And that's how Equestria was made!!! :D

• Like 1

Someone I was following on DeviantART posted a drawing they did of Rainbow Dash and I really liked the look of the design, so I did some light googling on the show and was shocked to find out that people actually really liked it. I figured I give it a shot, watched it and found it enjoyable. It wasn't until Call of the Cutie that I realized that the show was something special, something about that episode really brought their world to life. I shared the show with a few friends, two of which became bronies while the others hated it.

Weellll.... It seems this new network was airing commercials that it was starting up soon and showing momentary blips of what their line up was... wait what? did I just see ponies? Quick rewind on the DVR and Oh-ho-ho-hooo. THIS I gotta see. I was waiting wth baited breath when Ep1 aired... I was pleasently surprised it was written for HS/College level like the PPG, And their villan was an actual menace!

.(pinkie appears behind Hoss)

"...And that's how Equestria was Created!" :smirk:

Wait what? Pinkieee!

At first I picked up on signs circling around the internet of the MLP craze growing, from forum avatars to KnowYourMeme and Tumblr getting FLOODED with Pony material. After that, I noticed a ton of Pony art at a local videogame/anime convention. Then when some friends started recommending it, I finally caved and watched an episode, and was pretty much hooked.

I'm still finding it fascinating how this show has created a sub culture that's swept the interwebs in such a manner. XP

21 Male Illustrator and Graphic Designer. For my own reasons I use AdamRB (or AdamRBi if the prior is taken) as my online moniker in most of my online identities.

I first heard it from my older brother, who is a professional animator. I dismissed it for the normal "good animation can't save bad kid show writing."

A few months later I checked it out after reading some blog posts about it on various cartoon blogs. The writing surprised me as it wasn't what I expected at all, as was the animation which I heard was good but initially blew off as "good for a kid's show" good in the months prior. It was the writing and characters that bought me in and I've been a fan ever since the first half of season 1.

29 year old male here, work for a big software company, IT helpdesk support.

I found out about MLP one day when I was sick and couldn't go to work. So I was just resting, and I visited one of the regular gaming forums that I usually go to and noticed some guys posting Pony Memes. At first, I knew that it probably is a remake of MLP from back in the 80's. I got curious and eventually stumbled on a video on youtube, which was "What Pinkie's song actually sounded like". I thought it was hilarious and I couldn't stop watching it over and over. Eventually, I got curious enough that I wanted to watch the original video. I found the Season 1 batch torrent, downloaded, watched and the rest is history...

Hey, I'm a 20-year-old male from Connecticut who also enjoys Pokemon. I actually found MLP:FiM when half of the PokeBeach forum community became bronies in late February. It took me 5 months to accept ponies into my life as well.

Not like I didn't try before, but previous attempts had me stopped when the intro song came on. Now I can't get that jingle out of my head.

@AdamRB, I completely agree with your impression. The show is definitely closer in style to "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends". Hmm... I wonder why that might be?