Honey's Sweet Honey

Neon Pop

"Homygosh! Homygosh!" Exclaimed the honey colored mare as she opened her eyes. "I slept iiiin!!" Those bright blue orbs looked out the window and there, off in the distance was the sun rising. Squealing she leaped out of bed, leaving her blankets in array along the floor. Those black hooves clopped against the wooden flooring as she ran over to her mirror and looked to the brush, then to her hair, and back to her brush. One thing about Honeycomb, was that she never cared just how her hair looked, and today was no exception. Shaking that wild mane of hair she decided not to, and took off out the door of her bedroom/home, and jumped the length of her stairs. When she landed the first thing to do was throw on all the lights.

The shop lit up with a sweet golden glow. The walls where lined with shelves of jarred bubbly, thick, sticky, goo. There were display tables, topped with a fine red cloth, and there sat some with hard candy, some tables with lacquered jewelery, some with more jars. The whole place was made of dark wood, which mixed with the gold of the honey and red accents, the place was very warm and welcoming. Even with sunlight coming through the large windows. Off to the side, sat the counter, where she took orders, and a glass case of cakes, breads and fruit sat, though right now, it was just a tad bit scarce. "I need to make the fruit!" Honey said as a bee snuck into the back door of the shop and buzzed about.

In the kitchen was a whole other story. It was white, clean and well organized, pots hung from the ceiling, a fridge sat happily against the wall next to the counters. The fridge was the first place she was to go, and there she pulled out strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, pineapple, bananas, apples, blackberries, peaches and nectarines. Once everything was on the island, she dashed over to a cabinet and pulled out various bowls and plates, a knife followed, and then a group of her friendly bees came in with a whole new jar of fresh honey. "Oh thank you, my friends! It looks just perfect!" Honey praised as she smiled at them, letting the swarm fly about her head before darting off outside. It was a careful procedure, the right fruit had to go with the right plate, and had to be paired with the right contrast of fruit, and the right amount of pure honey had to be applied. She loved watching the sticky goo dribble over the apples, or the strawberries, it was a delicious sight to see.

It took about an hour to prepare all the fruit to perfection, and then she placed them carefully in that cooled case up front, shifted the honey cakes and cupcakes about, removed the bread and put it on the back wooden shelf to sit. It went without saying, Honeycombs shop smelled just as sweet as the honey tasted, and she liked it that way. The last touches to the morning routine was to jar up new honey, mixing fruit and herb flavors into it, and restocking her shelves. It was around ten thirty that she was finally finished with everything, cleaning off the cafe tables, and adjusting the chairs, shooing off any bees that took to lounging about.

"There! Now I'm open for business today!" Honeycomb exclaimed as she walked to the door and flipped the sign over from "Closed" to "Open".

Pomelo strolled down the street, he had sent his brother to go get apples from Sweet Apple Acres and plates his sister made for him out of sliver. She refuses to work with gold.

He looked around town finding something to do, Burtrum would be a while seeing he always took his time to nap on some clouds. Pomelo sighed and slowed his frolic bit has he started to feel the onslaught of hunger in his belly, the apples he sent for where suppose to be for last night, but he put it off. He regretted that decision quickly, he knew the square woudn't be open til noon, Sugarcube Corner was open, but he had a distaste for sugar crusted cakes. He had refined palate and required something more healthy?

He sighed heavily again, his thinking was making him more hungry, to the point where he was proceeding to become nauseated.

He stopped when smelled something like honey, he looked over and his ears flew up, a new shop, he thought what the hay and trotted in. He pushed the door open and took a big breath, his stomach growled loudly "Well" he slightly whined, "Well hello!" he cheered has he walked up to the counter.

Honey was nowhere to be seen, not for a while anyway, even when Pomelo walked in. She heard his hoof steps, and his voice, but she was hoof deep in kneading dough. "Oh! I'll... I'll be out in just a second...!" Honey chimed as she pulled her hooves away and trotted over to wash them off vigorously. Her first customer of the day, what joy! With that merry little thought in her mind, and a few bees following her, Honey made her way out to the open part of the store.

"Hello! Welcome to my honey shop! What can I do for you today?" She asked sweetly, almost as sweet as the jarred honey. She clopped her two front hooves on the counter which she stood behind, ready and willing to take the order of the stallions order. "Ya look new to my shop, need help deciding?" It was a friendly gesture as she batted her giant blue eyes at him.

Pomelo was immedently charmed by the cute little mare, his smiled widen, "Yes, matter of fact-" his eyes spotted a bee, his face went black as he started to back up, "Um, there's a um bee" he whispered as he eyed it and his body began to freeze. Bees don't get mad if you move right? Pomelo started to shake, his eyes wide, "um" all he squeak out to the mare. His worst fear was the darn little thing to get stuck in his hair, his thoughts just exploded as all he could picture was getting stung.

he looked over to Honey, he gulped and trotted sideways to be further from the insect but still be relatively close to the counter to order. "No bee gonna make me starve" he thought to himself has he slightly puffed out his chest and, "Um, any recommendation?" he asked managing to pull a smile from thin air. His ear's swivled forward, as he remembered to answer the rest of the question, "I am sorta new to town, I've only been here for a few days. I am Pomelo Taste, a fellow cook" by this time he forgot about the bee and was enjoying small chat.

"Huh?" Honey tilted her head as she watched Pomelo fidget and step away from the bee. She looked up to her friends and realized, OH! He was afraid of bees! Silly her... "Oh, I'm sorry. Shoo, shoo, boys. I've got a customer!" Honey said waving her hoof gently at them to get them to fly off, and, as she requested, they did. "I'm sorry once more, they are my friends. Honestly they are harmless unless you give them reason to make them angry. In all the years I have worked with them, I've been stung a total of a hundred and eighty-six times!" Though... Honeycomb seemed so... HAPPY about that. Her cheerful tone was almost... alarming, thought a hundred and eighty-six times was an awful lot to get stung, it certainly didn't seem like something to be happy about.

"But, hmm... What do I recommend...? Oh! I know! How about some honey oat bread and honey milk! Its perfect for morning and honey milk slightly warm is the best thing to have on an empty stomach, it'll keep it from upsetting with the sudden intake of food!" So it seemed she knew what she was doing, well she better, she was after all the owner. "And my name is Honeycomb..." Though there was a small blush under those orange freckles of hers and she was suddenly so bashful. "I'm the owner of this place, and I've been in Ponyville for quite some time with my parents. I like it here a lot. Ponies are always so nice here."

The door to the shop opened again, this time a pale yellow Pegasus stuck her head in. She didn't want to interrupt if the shop was busy. But seeing that only one customer was there along with the shop owner, it seemed like she wouldn't be bothering anyone.

'Oh... excuse me. I don't want to interrupt but...' Fluttershy finally moved all the way into the shop. On her back she had a jar with a bee in it. 'I found this little guy out in my flowers this morning. He didn't seem to be flying so well. He could hardly lift himself from flower to flower.'

Always the animal love, even insects held a spot in her heart. And seeing one act strangely always made her want to help. The problem was, Fluttershy didn't know much about bees. So she figured the best place to go was to somepony with plenty of bees around.

'So I was wondering if maybe you would be able to help him. Perhaps he would be better off resting in a place where there are other bees. He was all alone in my daisies.'

Pomelo noticeably relaxed, "Haha, I kinda feel bad now, but when I was younger my sister kicked a tree and a hive fell on me" He explained, "Thats kind of a lot, they listen to you so well though. I'm kinda curious to why so many stings." he chattered as he looked through the case, "Honey milk does sound very good" he looked up after her reasoning, and he smiled brightly, "Said like a great health cook, indeed" he praised, "I do wondering if you any kind of fruit dish? I do love bitter fruits." He joked as he turned slightly showing his cutie mark of a grapefruit. looked back to her, "Every fitting name as well" he laughed softly,"I guess you never ran into my sister, shes nice, but he has bite" he joked, "I tend to be the nice one in my family" he looked at her and noticed the blush, which made him bashful of sorts. He bowed his head slightly, "It's such a pleasure to meet you Ms.Honeycomb" he oozed, he was gushy fellow and somehow he didn't shimmer up and say few words. Her store and her atmosphere was getting to him and he was quit comfortable, also a relief to know that her bees where a friendly type.

Pomelo turned when he saw Fluttershy, "Hello, your no bother" he reassured her gently, he softly motioned to look at the jar closely, after look at the tiny thing he turned his head, "I think Ms.Honeycomb could take great care of it." He smiled back to Fluttershy, "Her bees are so well in do as far as I know"

Honey giggled as she listened to Pomelo and just as she was about to reply, in walked Fluttershy with one of her bees. "Henry! There you are!" Honey exclaimed, pulling away from her counter and running around to meet with Fluttershy. Her blue eyes looked into the jar and looked over the bee. "Stomach ache... I knew it you gluttonous pig." There was a frown on her face as she then looked to Fluttershy, taking the jar and bee off her hoofs. "Thank you, miss, I do appreciate brining him back home. His hive was all in a buzz without their best worker! The queen was livid. He should be better in a bit, he's just fat and full with nectar."

Honeycomb shook her head and looked to Pomelo and smiled. "I'm pretty sure I have grapefruit, its not one of my best sellers, so I make it when its ordered, so if you don't mind waiting? And as for you, miss, I'll be glad to make you something as well for your efforts in bringing Henry back home! I have all kinds of things, and whatever you want is on the house!" With a nod, she turned from the two of them and walked around the counter to where she was before, placing her front hooves on the wooden counter and glaring at Henry... either just glaring or talking to him. Really wasn't made clear yet as to what she was doing to the little bee.

Pomelo laughed at Honey, "That would be excellent" he chuckled before smiling to Fluttershy again and then moving toward a table with a sligth gresture allowing her to join him if she pleases.

He was dumbfounded to how or if Honeycomb could actually tell the difference between her bees, she had so much honey that she would have to have a vast amount of hives to supply it all and then being able to tell the difference between them. He simply couldn't wrap his head around the slightest idea, but his sum was that maybe she really cared for her bees, and once that was thought Pomelo spotted her cutie mark and he felt a bit slow. It was her special talent to work wit bees, with that explaining every little event that have happened in his short time in this shop, but again he thought how lovely it was. "I'll defiantly have to become a regular" he said to him softly, he couldn't image a better way to start off the day.

Fluttershy couldn't help blinking a little in surprise that the pony running the shop seemed to know the bee in the jar. The Pegasus just thought she had found a random bee in her flowers, but it seemed it was one from the hives that belong to the shop owner. More so the little insect had a name. At least he would be well cared for.

'Oh, I'm glad it's not something seriously wrong.' After all a tummy ache was hardly a concern compared to something like a damaged wing. She remembered having to care for a butterfly once that had a tear in it's wing. She thought the poor thing would never fly right again, but luckily it healed.

When Honeycomb offered hers something in return, Fluttershy was going to politely turn it down. After all she was just doing her job, looking out for all the little creatures. However she really didn't have a chance before Honey already at the counter.

'Well you really don't have to get me anything. I was just trying to make sure the little guy was okay. But um... a guess some fruit would be nice, since you're offering. Those strawberries look very good.'

She looked over to the table as the other Pegasus motioned that she could join. Quietly she trotted over and then blinked again. 'Oh, I'm sorry... I'm Fluttershy. Nice to meet you both.'

Honeycomb looked to the two of them and nodded, she was glad they took a seat to enjoy themselves, and even more so felt welcomed in her shop. After all, Honey took special care when making her shop, mixing and finding colors that would go with the honey products she made. Henry buzzed a little in the jar and she looked, placing her hoof on the top. "You'll be back to your hive in a bit, don't worry." Honey reassured as she tapped that same hoof ever so lightly on the jars rim.

With that she stepped down and trotted away into the back, only to do Celestia knows what, but really, out of the eyesight of Fluttershy and Pomelo, she was cutting and preparing his grapefruit. She prepared it in a lovely display, care cuts, beautiful honey drizzled on top, sugar and salt topping it off, and a little bit of shaved chocolate on the sides. Honey brought it out, pulled a cluster of chocolate strawberries out of the display case, and turned to get the honey milk started. There was a few clicks and clanks and what sounded to be hot steam heating up the drinks. Honey waited till the honey milk was nice and frothy, and... added a special little chocolate art of a bee on the top, and placed in a stick of cinnamon in both drinks.

With everything prepared she brought them both their food and drinks, placing them on the table politely and smiled. "There you go! Pomelo, I took to giving you your drink on the house, so you'll only be paying two bits for the fruit." She smiled and nodded, completely proud with her display of the food.

Pomelo Smiled at Fluttershy, "I'm Pomelo Taste, its a pleasure" he said as he eyed Honey slightly, "So tell me about your self" he chatted once Honey was out of sight. "It was really kind of you to find help for that bee" he commented to her, best way to learn about someone was to be nice.

He has heard somepony talking about how another pony always took great care of animal so he was simply over joyed to in company of that pony right, or he could guess, but he figured seeing she helped a bee of all things.

Once Honey returned Pomelo's stomach growled loudly as he laid eyes on his breakfast "That looks amazing!" he laughed in slight awe, "May have to learn some of your recipes!" he said has he placed 5 bits on the table, "Here is tip as well" he scooted the change over to her with his hoof.

'It's nice to meet you too.' Fluttershy offered a smile smile before looking down at the table top. She was always a little awkward when it came to meeting new ponies. She never knew just what to say. However since Pomelo managed to keep on the top of the bee she was able to at least respond. She did well when it came to animal talk.

'Oh it was no trouble helping the poor little thing. I like to make sure all animals, big and small are taken care of. Even a little bee deserves a little kindness now and then. And if he wasn't feeling well I would have hated to see him get in trouble. He wouldn't have been able to get away from a frog or something and that would have been too bad, since it sounds like he's one of the harder working bees here.'

As the treats were brought to the table, the Pegasus' eyes lit up. The strawberries looked wonderful. It wasn't often she went out for sweets, unless Pinkie was dragging her along for something at Sugercube Corner. And after taking a small bite she just nodded happily.

'This is wonderful, Honey. I don't think I've ever had strawberries this good before.'

·.·•Honeycomb•Ã‚·.·

Honeycomb's pride swelled from the praise. She knew she did a good job, but hearing it from others was more of a boost to her self-esteem then anything. Her eyes looked to the bits that Pomelo held out for her and blinked. A tip? Oh my, she really didn't get those. Not very often anyway, she usually priced things just right to where she felt she didn't have to ask or encourage a tip. Though gratitude was always something she learned to never turn down, so happily she held out her hoof and took it along with what he owed her for the food. "Oh my, thank you. Thank you both! I am really glad you both like what I have to offer. It pleases me I put a smile on your faces!"

She smiled and placing the bits in her mouth, trotted back over to her register to ring up the food. With a few button presses and a loud chime, the drawer opened and in plopped the gold bits. Honey closed the drawer shut and humming now she went about cleaning up her mess, glancing her blue eyes over to Pomelo and Fluttershy. They both seemed like such nice ponies, and there really wasn't anyone else coming in, sooo... maybe she could talk with them. Strike up a conversation to at least make them feel like she wasn't ignoring them. Henry buzzed in his jar just as one other bee flew in, and into the jar where they stood, and wandered around. Honeycomb knew what it was about, but she wasn't about to sit there and explain everything.

"I don't want to sound morbid or anything, but... I do loose bees quite often. The actually don't live that long. I love my hives, I do, and I keep the peace between each, since one thinks they're better the the other and so forth. But my bees do sting for protection and loosing their stingers does cause them to die. Sooooo... I've actually killed a hundred and eighty-six bees. Not that I'm happy about that, its just life." Honey said as she trotted back over to the two once the mess was cleaned up behind the counter. "You two are liking how everything tasts, right? I get most of my fruits from the islands, the apples from the Apple family, and so forth. I have a friend out in the Gallopocous Islands that deals with Pineapples. She's a crazy one, but so fun." Honeycomb giggled, sitting down and making them try to at least feel welcomed.