[Appleoosa] The Good Ol Hoedown [open]

Boss_Hoss1

"Thank you, thank you...." Dunder said softly to the sheriff and his date, "It's a pleasure to meet you, sheriff. And you too Louise LaMare." He said. He wasn't sure how he should dismiss himself to leave the two ponies to do their thing, so he decided to just say something, "Thank you for introducing me, but I'm going to go get some food. I'm hungry!" He said, sounding enthusiastic.

He trotted some ways away before he was greeted by another couple, Bistro and Braeburn. He couldn't help but feel at least a little left out from everyone else having a date. "Thank you. I plan on eating plenty of food and drinking plenty." He said and smiled, "I also plan on maybe spending the night in your bed and breakfast... Sleeping in the clouds gets old, especially for a pegasus." He smiled and laughed.

Dunder got startled a little by the new voice. He turned to face another pegasus, he was glad not to be the only one. He smiled, "Yes, my name is Dunder." He said, "You don't have the accent AND you're a pegasus, so I can understand why you don't know about the party much." He said, "Well, It is to celebrate the opening of something...." He rubbed the back of his head with his hoof, "I can't remember opening of what... But I'm glad another pegasus is here!" He said happily, "You must travel a lot, by the looks of it.... what is your name?"

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Braeburn smiled cheerfully at all the newcomers to the event and his beloved town. He was happy the reputation of Appleoosa as a cozy, friendly frontier town was spreading far and wide throughout the land, and ponies were coming here to start a new life and opportunities. The goldenrod stallion took off his Stetson in the direction of the blue earth pony and brown pegasus his date had just met. "Mah name is Braeburn, and mah lovely companion and Ah indeed welcome y'all to AAAAAPPLEOOSA! The finest town in all of the west of Equestria! Caramel ... I mean Miss Bistro, does have the nicest inn in our fair town of AAAAAPPLEOOSA! Ah'd hope y'all partake in her offer!"

Braeburn placed his Stetson back on and gave Caramel a warm, rather flirtatious smile, wanting her to feel special on this, her night. "Well, Caramel, Ah reckon while we wait fer our vamoosed band to get back together so we can dance, we can always just talk about ... well ... anything!" Dating wasn't something Braeburn had gotten much opportunity to do since he moved to Appleoosa and started his new orchard, with all that work. He was very happy for the company.

"Ah never did get a chance to ask, Caramel, how did a pretty filly like yerself corral up here in our fair town of AAAAAPPLEOOSA? If'n y'all don't mind me asking."

At first Arrow was surprised to hear that nopony else had responded to the rumors of new developments and work opportunities in Appleloosa. But soon an even bigger whammy left him gobsmacked. Was Maximilian seriously claiming that he was offering jobs that paid better than anything else in the country? Just like that? No screening or tests of qualification necessary? He couldn't do anything but blink and hold his mouth open. How lucky was-

"I'm powerful surry bout runnin' into ya. Reckon I wasn't lookin' where I was goin'. I'm with the band!"

Arrow's eye moved down to see that the filly who had bumped into him earlier was still trying to apologize. Couldn't she take the hint and leave him alone? He took another deep breath. "Look, no 'arm done, luv. It ent worf talkin' about. Jes' concentrate on yer music, alright?" He made a little shooing motion with one hoof and looked back at Max.

"Blimey, mate, 'ow kin we possibly resist such a generous offer?" he asked. "We're no strangers to 'ard work, so we oughter fit right in!" He didn't elaborate on what kind of hard work he and Boxer had engaged in previously. Max didn't need to know that, and those jobs were all behind him now. If anything, the work Max offered was all but guaranteed to be safer... and more legal.

When Braeburn came up to talk to Miss Bistro, Boxer gave him a bit of a blank look. He wasn't entirely sure what to do now that somepony had approached him when he wasn't expecting it, but then the situation resolved itself. They were a couple, and wanted to spend time together. "Oh, um, alright," Boxer said, his ears folded back. "That's okay. I can manage myself. You two can have fun-"

But apparently Braeburn wasn't content to let him go that easily. Instead of going away with Miss Bistro and doing his own thing, he tipped his hat and introduced himself in ostentatious fashion. When he announced the name of the town with the force of an airhorn, Boxer jumped back and tensed his body, wide-eyed and trembling. Just as he was starting to relax, Braeburn did it again, but this time Boxer just flinched. "Th-thanks!" Boxer said. "I'm sure I'll like the inn! Um, bye!" He stepped away from the couple and looked around for something else to focus on. Thankfully, seeing a stallion turn a mare's dress inside-out with a fan made him laugh, and managed to take the edge off of his encounter with Braeburn.

"I don't think anypony can turn down this offer, great money for honest work, plus the knowledge that you're helping to build Equestria itself. You've stumbled upon a grand opportunity."

Max smiled just a bit wider and reached into his tux's pocket, and pulled out a card. "Here's my offer." 

Facts and figures were printed on the card, including projected salary and projected total income. Both numbers were quite large, for manual labor, a least. The bottom of the card had benefits listed, which were substantial to say the least. 

There would a background check, of course, Max wanted to know who was working for him, but it was of little consequence. How could a reformed pony like Max fire somepony for a mistake they made in the past?

"My partners have ensured that they will provide most of the labor force, but I'll make sure to have a few ponies on my payroll."

He looked over his shoulder at the inn. "That won't do... Renovations are starting soon on the inn, and the barracks haven't been built yet for the labor! Hm..."

The Rockefilly tapped his chin, pondering his options for a few moments. "How would you feel about staying with me for a while? I have an extra room or two at my place, it wouldn't be trouble. Besides, I can't have you leaving for somewhere else in the interim!"

He let out a warm chuckle and stamped his hoof. "You're the first ones, so the paperwork should clear up in no time! Just gotta get rid of the physical, make sure you're up for the work, my partners want to make sure we run a right ship, so a background check might be in order. But that'll go quick, right?"

Caramel Bistro waved as the ponies Braeburn greeted headed away from the table they were at.

She turned back toward Braeburn when he suggested small talk untill the band was back on stage and nodded. Before she could think of anything to ask, he came up with a very good one. "Oh? Well, I stared my business in Manehattan, at the train station. a place for travelers to get coffee and food, and a place to stay overnight if they ended up needing one.

I have got each location of my Bistro Bed and Breakfast up and running steadily before moving on to the next town on the tracks. Until Mr. Rockefilly arrived, this was likely to be the last entirely pony stop before the griffonlands. Well, this town has proven to be one of the friendliest Ive ever been to, current company included. I genuinely love it here. Even though I could go back to Manehattan and live as a Socialite, I will never do so. I like working too much." she winks.

She smiles at Braeburn. "Perhaps you can explain why not just you but so many of your Apple relatives decided Appleoosa was the place to be?"

Meanwhile, the orange pegasus mare smiled at Dunder. "I am Candy Catch-em, Critter Wrangler. I'm from Northern Solstice Heights, the town behind Canterlot where my animal hospital is. I am traveling to meet up with an expedition of Naturalists from Fillydelphia who are near the Griffon borders. Fortunately this little town is in the right place to stop for the night. How about you?

"Thank you so much, Dapper Dan," a grateful Haymaker said with a smile as she sipped the cider. "You are a true gentlecolt."

The lanky red maned mare was happy that the former 'incident' with her dress seems to have been forgotten. She looked into Dapper Dan's eyes and was soon 'lost' in the moment. Little Haywire, after scampering away from Arrow got an angry stare from Sheriff Silverstar.

"You best settle down, young lady," the mustached lawpony sternly warned as the rust colored filly galloped past him.

"Now take it easy, Sherriff," Louise LaMare said to him while the two danced. "After all, this is supposed to be a happy occasion."

"You best settle down, young lady," Haywire grumbled mockingly under her breath. "I'm SO bored! Wish there was some other foals here to pal around with. Thar's gotta be SOMETHIN' I kin do fer fun."

Meanwhile, up on stage, Doc Holly Day was talking with Hayseed about the music they were all going to play together for the rest of the night.

"So later on tonight is when the Sheriff's gonna call the square dance," the older gray furred unicorn said as he examined the sheet music.

"And that's when we're gonna need ya to play that squeezebox of yurs good and loud!" Hayseed neighed, glancing over at his sister with Dapper Dan. "Lookie yonder, Doc! My sis ain't scarin' that feller off like she usually does."

"Young love," Doc Holly Day giggled. "Nuthin' like it in the whole wide world."

Haywire giggled as she snuck three frogs she had just caught into the large punch bowl. Whistling as she walked back up on stage, the blonde filly kept an eye on the punch bowl table as she tuned up her harmonica.

"Ready fer the next set of songs, little sis?" asked Hayseed.

"Can't wait, brother!" Haywire giggled. "I got a feelin' things er gonna be JUMPIN' round here any second now!"

Dapper Dan smiled, a little embarrassed. He bowed his head a bit in thanks. "Thanks." he said sincerely. He looked up again and smiled. Their eyes met and he felt like looking away after a moment, but found he couldn't. He was a bit embarrassed again, feeling he'd stared too long, but he didn't mind. He smiled softly, then looked away for just a short moment to see her siblings getting back on stage. He hoped she didn't have to go just yet. Dan looked back at her and smiled warmly.

"Are you from around here, Haymaker? I'm new here, but I've met a lot of people around Appleloosa, and I don't think I've ever met you or any of your siblings." he said with a chuckle. She seemed nice, and he definitely wanted to talk to her some more. He had never really spent a lot of time with a mare before.

Dunder's wing flapped once while he listened to her. She sounded like a very interesting mare, more interesting than some of the other mares he had met. She ran a hospital and was a critter wrangler. She even came from the town where he was raised. This was the kind of pony he would like to get to know better.

"Well, Miss. Catch-em," He said, he was pretty sure that's how ponies addressed females in Appleoosa, "I am from Solstice Heights too, I was born and raised there."

He said while thinking about more to say, "I am a chef in Cloudsdale for a semi-notable restaurant. I mean, the food is good, but we don't get that much publicity. Especially since the other restaurants in Cloudsdale have vicious competition." He said, he looked at the ground and kicked a rock by his hoof, "And I wanted to become a Royal Guard, but I haven't gotten accepted yet. That's why I have the sword." He said and motioned at the rapier.

Braebrun held a gentle smile as he listened to Caramel spin the tale that led her to his beloved Appleoosa. What made it particularly tickled him was how, in many ways, it paralleled his own reasons for being here. Listening to her talk about Appleoosa being the friendliest town just made him light up inside; it just confirmed once again what he already knew in his heart - that this place was special, that this place was home. "Well, Caramel, ah'm plumb proud that y'all find good ol' AAAAAAPPLEOOSA the best town of all of those you started businesses in!"

When she asked in kind about him, Braeburn's smile became more thoughtful. There weren't many ponies who ever asked him why he was there - several ponies believed he was born in Appleoosa, not even realizing the town was barely two years old. "Ah reckon, 'cause growin' up, ah was always bein' compared to mah kin, no matter whose orchard or farm ah was workin' on. Ah did well 'nuff, mah family was proud of me an' all, but ... they always said 'why, he's just like his grandsire,' or 'he bucks like his cousin.' Ah wanted t'do somethin' that was mah own. Ah wanted t'do somethin' new fer mah kin, somethin' ah could make with mah own four hooves." Braeburn looked thoughtfully at his own lifted forehoof before returning his focus on Caramel. "That's why Ah came here. When Ah heard about a new town mah kin were gonna start up - well, that was th' chance ah had t'make mah mark. Goodly number ah ponies said a farmin' community couldn't be built out here, but ah reckon we proved 'em wrong, an' mah own orchard was th' first t'come to harvest!"

Braeburn smiled proudly at that explanation. He really did feel a rush of dignity as he spun that tale - but he didn't want to sound too self-important. "Besides, coming here allowed me t'have the privilege of getting to know such fine an' spirited fillies as yerself! So, will y'all be makin' Appleoosa yer home sweet home while y'all start up new bistros, or are y'all a Manehattan filly at heart?"

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC: Looks like everypony is going to be busy with winter wrap-up so I may as well go ahead and answer)

Caramel Bistro nickered sweetly "So you and pretty much the whole town had similar ideas when you came out here. Amazing!"

She tossed her wavy tail as he asked her about her intentions. "Heh, no one's asked me that... Hmm, If I was a Manehattan filly at heart, I guess I would not have expanded my little mocha empire out so far from there. I can play the socialite game for business, but it's just not me."

She smiled brightly as she stepped to the punch bowl. "I will be staying in Appleoosa permanently. I may be gone for a month or so at a time getting a new place up and running, but I will always come back."

She dipped a glass of punch for Braeburn, herself, and one to take to WillowWisp.

Bistro smiled as she held her glass in her fetlock. "Cheers!" and moved it to her muzzle.

Suddenly! She screamed as she saw a pair of eyes looking back at her and flipped over on her back as she dropped the glass, spilling out a frog on the ground...

Meanwhile,

Elsewhere in the party, Candy Catch-em folded her golden brown wings against her vest, and pushed her bush hat back off her head to hang by the neck string.

She smiled and shook her yellow striped red mane free. "Now isnt this an amazing coincidence! Here I am as far away from Northern Solstice Heights as I can get, ad still be in Equestria, and I meet such a nice pegasus stallion from there! The way it sounds, I dont think we would have met under normal circumstances back home so I am quite pleased to meet you, Mr. Dunder."

She gave a quick bow with her forelegs "Care to dance when the band starts up?

"Actually Dan, my siblings and I are just visitors here," Haymaker admitted. "Sheriff Silverstar hired us to play for this hoedown, so we came here by train from the Nimbusgait Lakes. My family are hay farmers and since our harvest is already in fer the year, we travel and play music to earn enough bits to see us through winter."

The lanky red maned mare was overcoming her initial nervousness. She really felt comfortable around this handsome stallion. She secretly hoped that the band's 'rest break' would last much longer. Meanwhile, on the stage while Doc Holly Day and Hayseed continued to go over the music for the next set, Haywire glanced over towards the punch bowl.

"Any minute now.." the rust colored filly said to herself as she watched Caramel Bistro take her cup of punch and then her reaction to the frog she discovered in it. Instantly, the blank flank blonde filly burst out laughing so hard, she rolled on the stage.

"What in blazes?" Doc Holly Day neighed as he and Hayseed looked over at the commotion.

"Lookie at THAT!" the red maned vest wearing stallion shouted before breaking out laughing. Sheriff Silverstar and Louise LaMare galloped over to Madam Bistro to help her up and back on her four feet.

"Are you alright, ma'am?" the mustached Sheriff asked.

"Oh dear! What happened to you, Madam Bistro?" asked a concerned Louise. Haymaker couldn't help but turn to see the punch bowl incident. She nickered loudly in surprise to see Madam Bistro on her back. When she turned her gaze towards her little sister, the taller mare began to get suspicious.

"Betcha Haywire had somethin' to do with that," Haymaker said to herself, "but if I run over thar and beat a confession outta her, what would Dapper Dan think'a me? Better jist play it cool. I've scared off a lot of cute fellers over the years with my rash actions. Maybe the Sheriff'll figure it all out without my interference."

Dapper Dan smiled. So she was from out of town...that was a bit of a pity. He really wanted to get to know her better. He didn't know too many Appleloosans, and those he did weren't really as lovely as her.

"Well, that sounds fun. I wish I could travel around. Where do you call home?" he asked. Hopefully somewhere nearby that he could go visit her once in a while. Suddenly, there was a heavy bit of commotion near the punch bowl that took his attention over there. He noticed a frog hopping away from everything, and he chuckled, seeing the mare's siblings laughing.

"Your siblings look like real fun people." he said with a hint of teasing sarcasm. "Very...rowdy." he said after a pause, searching for the right word.

Dunder smiled and blushed very slightly when Candy complemented him. He nodded in agreement when she was done talking. "That is exactly what I was thinking." He said. If she hadn't stated it herself, he wouldn't have admitted to it. He had thought about admitting to it and he was glad to meet her, but his shy side sometimes got to the best of him. Of course, he was only shy to strangers sometimes. Especially if they were a nice mare like Candy.

He smiled wider and nodded again when she asked him to dance. He was considering asking her when the band started, but he was glad that she wanted to also. "Yes, I'd love to dance with you. I was actually going to ask when the band started." He said and laughed nervously.

Braeburn gave a warm smile - yet again, it was a joy to him to hear that others felt the same way about their new home as he did. "Ah'm plum happy t'hear that, Caramel. Ah reckon we kin yer really an AAAAAPPLEOOSA filly at heart! A couple years ago Ah'd have thought nothin' of th' Bordelands or th' dry plains out heah. Ah wasn't sure what th' hay ah wanted, mahself, even as ah was buildin' mah farmhouse, but now theah's no place Ah'd rather be!" Braeburn sighed happily. "This place does that you a pony, ya know. Ah'm right tickled Ah kin share this wonderful town with y'all."

That last sentence may have been a little bit too thick and forward, but Caramel's story really resonated with him and his love for his darling Appleoosa. Braeburn took a sip of his punch and was about to say more, when suddenly all Tartarus broke loose! She was screaming and falling backwards, and some great green monster was latched onto his face and wouldn't let go! "What in tarnation?!" Braeburn swiped at the frog, but the scared creature was stickier'n a spilled batch ah molasses an' just clung to him no matter what he did. Finally he shook it off, and turned back to his date. "Caramel are y'all -" he stopped as he saw the Sheriff had already helped her up, having raced across the room to do so. Braeburn felt pretty awkward about that - feeling like a heel for allowing the frog to distract him from helping a filly in need, when all these other ponies had raced across the room to help her up. "Ah'm sorry ..." he mumbled, rubbing at the back of his neck. With a frustrated look at on his face, he swiped his hoof across and grabbed up the frog, holding it between his forehooves. "All righty, fillies and gentlecolts, who owns this lil' fella, and would y'all kindly come claim him?"

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC: been asked to post by Mojo so here we go.)

The Mocha Mare sat up, helped by the Sherrif and Louise. "I-I'm fine. There was something with huge eyes in my glass! Where is it?! What is it?"

Moments before she had been listening intently to Braeburn's words, then panicked when something looked back at her.

She gave the stallion an apologetic and understanding look when she saw how flustered he was at being stuck when she needed help.

Suddenly she saw what he was fumbling with "Wait..what? a frog? This is the desert, how did...?!"

She clopped her hooves approvingly when Braeburn stood and held up the frog, demanding the owner come forward. "Perhaps if you ask the frog to go to it's owner..."

Meanwhile, Candy Catch-em stood with Dunder, watching the commotion. "I hope the dance starts back up after all this. Poor frog. If the owner does not claim it, I'll have to take the frog with me so it can stay comfy and wet.

Max was almost fully invested in his current conversation, but a loud shriek quickly caught his attention, that sounded like Madame Bistro! Clearing his throat, Max politely excused himself for a moment. "One moment, Arrow, I simply must see what's going on..."

Now, Max had been fond of the mare ever since she welcomed him to Appleoosa, she was a Manehattanite, so she understood what he was coming from. Of course, there was always business to take care of, and Max never really had the chance to talk to her much, aside from the odd cup of coffee, he'd only been in town a short while, anyway.

As Maximilian approached, trotting a bit more quickly than usual in his tux, he could see that whatever had happened must have calmed down by now. Still, as a gentlecolt, he had to check on the mocha mare. The Rockefilly stopped just a bit short, noticing the younger stallion at her side.

"Everything okay over here? I heard a right awful holler." Max struggled a bit with the words, trying to sound like an Appleoosan without being mean and stereotypical.

Max noticed the froggy culprit hopping away and he chuckled lightly to himself. "Ah, from the shout I assumed something croaked, I guess I was right about that!."

Dunder looked over at where the other ponies were freaking out. He couldn't help but laugh, "A frog?" He turned back to Candy, but didn't look at her. "At least somepony has a good sense of humor." He said with a smile on his face. He looked at her when she made the comment about taking care of the frog. "Yes, the music needs to play again already." He said, "That would be nice of you, it would be sad if the frog was abandoned after being used for a prank."

"Alright," Doc Holly Day shouted from up on the stage. "Break time's over! Time for more dancing! Haymaker, git up here!"

"No! Not yet!" Haymaker shouted in frustration, realizing too late that she had spoken outloud. The tall red maned mare now looked very panicked as she turned towards Dapper Dan. "Sorry Dan, I have to go play now. I hope that maybe we can talk later, ok?"

"Hold yur horses!" Sheriff Silverstar shouted. "No one's a goin' nowhere till we figger out who put that thar frog in the apple cobbler!"

"That ain't right! I put him in the punch bowl... oops!" Haywire neighed absentmindedly before trying to cover her mouth with her hooves.

"AH HA!" the mustached lawpony shouted as he galloped up on the stage and stared down at the frightened filly. "I hadda feelin' it was YOU! If'n you wasn't a part of the band, I'd take ya to the jailhouse and lock ya up till the train comes tomorrow! Whatcha got to say fer yurself?"

"I'm surry, really I am,," the rust colored blank flank moaned as she looked up at the Sheriff with her 'puppy dog' eyes.

"Yur in even BIGGER trouble, sis!" Haymaker snorted as she stood over her. "Now git over thar and grab yur harmonica!"

Doc Holly Day looked on as the furious red maned mare walked over to her brother Hayseed and promptly punched him in the snout with her left foot hoof, sending him crashing to the stage.

"And THAT'S fer the fan incident, BROTHER! Now git over thar to the washtub base... PRONTO!"

The stunned younger stallion got up off the stage and rushed over to line up with his younger sister, ready to play music. Haymaker was so angry now, she stomped over towards the unicorn doctor, picked up her fiddle and held it up in the air.

"Ready whenever you are, sir."

Stunned at the show of force by Haymaker, Doc Holly Day shook it off and began to squeeze his accordian.

"NOW let's all swing to the Cotton Eyed Joe! A one, a two, a three!" the mustached unicorn shouted as the Hay Family began to play their instruments with him. As they played, Haymaker began to calm down. On the dance floor, Sheriff Silverstar rushed over to Louise LaMare.

"Shall we dance, Miss LaMare?"

"Why are you even asking that question, ya big lug!" the brown furred Pegasus mare replied as the two began to prance to the music. "Aren't you going to arrest Haymaker for assault and battery?"

"Brothers and sisters fight all the time, Miss LaMare. Besides, do YOU think I could drag that wiry filly off to jail without gitt'n punched in the nose myself? She's got that thar boxing glove cutie mark fer a reason, y'know."

Overhearing the Sheriff's remarks, a few tears began to run down the face of the red maned mare as she player her fiddle. No matter where she goes, her brawling history and quick temper always seemed to make her look like a brute.

Dapper Dan nodded. He too wished she could stay, but she did have a job, after all. He smiled at her and nodded. "Of course! I'll be around here to talk later." he said. She was quite the interesting character. He went to sit nearby at a table and looked around until he heard a bit of commotion. Apparently the owner of the frog that had caused the ruckus earlier had been found. He swept his hat off his head with a bit of magic and left it on the table, and looked back as Haymaker gave her brother a good one, right across the snout. He winced a little, almost as if he could feel the hit himself, it had been that good of a punch. Yeesh. He had to remind himself not to annoy her. That explained her boxing glove cutie mark, though.

He watched the dancers, trying to memorize the steps for the next hoedown that he would attend, and his eyes went back to the stage. He saw Haymaker, who seemed calmer now, and...well, not as happy as before. It seemed...almost like she was crying? Dapper Dan hadn't heard the comments made about her, and he didn't know her own conflict over her temper and boxing ability.

So, he simply tipped his glasses a little higher up on his snout with the tip of his hoof, and when she looked over, tried to catch her attention. He gave the red-maned mare a warm, encouraging smile. He'd probably get up and dance the next dance, but for now, he was still learning...lest he get his hooves in a tangle and knock somepony over.

Braeburn was about to release the frog on Caramel’s suggestion to see if her plan would actually work when the youngest of the band members confessed to being the one behind the prank. In retrospect, it made a lot of sense, who else but a foal would think of something so mischievous. A bunch of adult couples dancing and all was probably boring to her, especially since all the other foals were in bed, and she probably decided to make her own version of fun. Braeburn wasn’t mad about it really, there was no harm down, no pony was hurt and he could recall a few times when he and his cousin Big Mac were foals causing similar mischief at events their families would drag them too which they felt was “stuffy”.

Braeburn felt that the Sheriff was being a bit harsh on the little filly, but it could just be he was bluffing and just wanted to scare her just enough so the rest of the night would go smoothly. It seemed to have worked as the band got back together on the stage in their own unique and rather violent way. “Are they family?” He asked no one in particular. He was a bit disturbed by the amount of yelling and that punch of young stallion took, “Family shouldn’t treat each other like that…” Sure Braeburn got in scuffles with his cousins as foals, but not as adults and not in front of others, besides he loved them too much to do so. Maybe he was over-analyzing the situation; he didn’t want to judge them entirely without knowing all the facts, especially when he saw the formerly mad young mare on stage shed a tear or two.

Still, this was a hoedown, not a family drama and the music was starting to play. “Well Caramel, how about I let this little fella go, I am sure he had quite the night.” Braeburn smiled as he gently placed the frog on the ground who smartly hopped away from the noise towards the edge of the square. Looking back up at Caramel, who had been most patient and gracious through this ordeal, he took his black, dress Stetson off and held it to his chest with his forehoof, “Miss Bistro, Camarel, would you do me the honor of joining me for this dance?”

Arrow’s eyes normally looked wider and more open than the normal pony’s, leaving his miniscule pupils surrounded by whiteness. As they took in the words and figures on the card Max gave him, they somehow managed to get even wider than that. Just when it seemed like Arrow had seen the height of his luck and Max’s generosity, the unicorn kept sweetening the deal. Not only were he and his “brother” practically guaranteed secure, paid jobs in a nice neighborhood, but the pay was amazing and they’d be staying the night in a posh mansion? The rapid onslaught of good news sent chills down Arrow’s spine. It was all too good to be true.

His eyes never left the card as Max spoke up about the physical and background check, and his mouth hung open an inch or two. “Yeah… background check,” he muttered. “Sound about righ’.” But by the time he said it, Max had already moved on to dealing with the arrival of a new, amphibious party guest.

When the frog hopped out of Madame Bistro’s punch and clung to Braeburn’s face, Boxer was standing by himself at the other end of the table, having been cowed by Braeburn’s greeting. He passed the time nibbling a cookie or two, trying to get lost in the taste, but then the frog emerged and caused Braeburn to shout out again. Once again, Boxer flinched, but then he rushed up to Braeburn, his face frozen in panic. This new stallion was in trouble, and despite him scaring Boxer with his yelling, Boxer knew he had to help him. But how? He couldn’t dislodge the frog without hurting Braeburn. None of the helpful skills he knew involved much in terms of precision or delicacy.

But he needn’t have worried, for the frog left of its own volition, and everypony else grew concerned with Madame Bistro again. Boxer hadn’t even noticed that she needed assistance! Or maybe she didn’t. Before he knew it, everything got settled, and the band started playing again. Boxer looked around for something to do, and settled on getting a closer look at the band.

He didn’t have much experience with music or musical performances, so he couldn’t compare them to anyone else. But he knew what he liked, and he found himself tapping his hooves to the beat almost immediately. His eyes drifted to the red-headed mare up front. She was pretty, but she also looked strong, and she handled her instrument well. Boxer had no idea how she did it, making sound into something so appealing and catchy. He remembered trying his hooves at an instrument he found once, and it screeched so loud he almost went deaf. Did she ever have a problem like that?

Then the light caught off her face and made the fresh tear streaks on it gleam, and Boxer had to tilt his head. Why was she crying? Was she sad? “Wha’s wrong?” he asked her, forgetting that she was right in the middle of a song and that she needed to concentrate. Then he realized his mistake, and his blue cheeks turned red. “Um, nuffin’, ne’er min’,” he mumbled.

(OOC: for some reason I imagine the country music ZZ Top was playing in the town dance scene in Back To The Future 3)

Madam Caramel Bistro whewed and watched as the sherrif put the fear of Celestia in the filly, or try to at least. "Oh my, ponies seem to be really rambunctious from out toward Nimbusgait, dont' they?" She watched as Braeburn put the frog down, and it hopped it's way to stand near the stage, waiting for its owner.

She smiled and extended a forehoof to Braeburn for the dance as she rose up on her hind hooves "Oh yes please! I certainly would Braeburn."

Elsewhere in the dance, the orange peasus, Candy Catch-em smiled at Dunder after watching the frog hop off to safety. "Looks like the dance is on. Shall we?"

Dunder Blust smiled and nodded. "Yes." He said. He scooped her hoof up and led her onto the dancefloor. He stood across from her and started to dance like the other ponies. He actually didn't know how he should dance, but he danced well anyway.

"Oh please sir, please don't go," Haymaker pleaded as she continued to play her fiddle to the music, not missing a single note. When Doc Holly Day saw what was going on, the red mustached unicorn quickly used his levitation magic to lift the bow and fiddle away from the sobbing mare, continuing to play it perfectly in midair. When she turned to see what he had done, the red maned unicorn gave her an understanding nod. Haymaker smiled and then turned to continue her conversation with Boxer.

"I'm so sorry everypony had to see me lose my temper like that," Haymaker began to explain, trying to wipe the tears from her eyes. "I was trying so hard not to get angry, but then my little sister pulled that frog trick and my stupid brother trying to embarrass me like he did. Seems everytime I try to socialize them two goofs always manage to ruin it for me... but still, I guess I shouldn't have slugged my brother, even though he had it comin' to him. No wonder the Sheriff's scared of me. That's why I'm so sad, because no matter how hard I try, my temper always gits me noticed, fer all the wrong reasons."

Then Haymaker glanced over towards Dapper Dan. More tears fell as she feared her actions ruined any chance she had to get to know him better. Doc Holly Day turned towards Hayseed and Haywire with an angry scowl on his face.

"You two's certainly a pair! How could ya make yer sister cry like that? If'n I was yur dad, I'd take ya both to the woodshed and tan yur flanks with a switch! Durin' the next song break, yur both gonna go apologize to her fer yur bad behavor tonight."

The look the mustached unicorn gave to them caused both to whine and swallow hard in fear. Without a word, the two siblings simply nodded their heads.

"What's going on up on stage?" Louise asked.

"I ain't sure, Miss LaMare, but we better check on Miss Bistro," the mustached lawpony said as he and the brown Pegasus mare danced their way over to her. "Miss Bistro, ma'am, are you alright?"

"Did that scare injure you?"

Dapper Dan had, by this point, made his way to the dance floor. With instructions from a nearby mare he figured out what he was doing soon enough, and felt like part of the town for once. He looked up after a moment to see the dynamic on stage had changed a bit. Haymaker was totally out of it with sadness, talking to a large stallion near the stage he'd never seen before. He noticed her look at him with a bit of a distraught look, so he made his way over, having caught only various words from the conversation.

Amidst Doc Holly Day berating Haymaker's siblings, Dapper Dan walked over, standing next to Boxer. "Are you...wait, dumb question." he said, realizing he'd been about to ask her if she was okay. Of course she wasn't. With an embarrassed look he adjusted his glasses before speaking.

"What's wrong, Haymaker?" he asked, looking at Boxer, then back at her, waiting for somepony to fill him in. He felt left out, and a little dim at the moment. He'd taken a liking to the white mare...sure, she had a bit of a temper, but so did everypony if provoked. It wasn't like she was angry and looking for a fight all the time, at least not from what he saw.