[Appleoosa] The Good Ol Hoedown [open]

Boss_Hoss1

Braeburn didn't pay any particular mind with the goings on between the band members once they started playing - to him, it meant it was time to finally get some good ol' fashion dancing in, which put his focus solely on his date. Braeburn led Madame Bistro onto the dance floor, smiling happily, his eyes sparkling. He loved being the first on the dance floor, it always felt so dramatic! He stepped up next to Caramel, took her left hoof with his right hoof, and gave a small bow, being rather proper and formal for a moment as the music swelled, then standing up again and giving her an encouraging smile.

Then the fiddle began its quick music, and Braeburn reared back with an enthusiastic, "YEEEE-HAWWW!" When he came back down, he merrily lifted his hooves in an energetic pattern, rocking back and forth and guiding her in a proper wild west dance. He took it simpler than usual, spinning her so she was facing him, then trotting past her with a spring in his step, coming around to her other side, then trotting backwards so they faced each other again, and carefully watching to see if she knew the steps, so he could whisper quick instructions to her if she needed. Braeburn was certainly in the zone - there was little that he enjoyed more than dancing with the fillies. Some nights, he'd make it his goal to dance with each and every filly present, but tonight he was going to make sure that one Caramel Bistro had the dance she came here for, had her special first night in Appleoosa.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

((returns from the land of strep throat and school))

'Talk about us.' Those words just continued to repeat in Willow Wisp's head. What did us mean? She was sure her cheeks would have been a rosey color if not dimmed by her black pelt. Her mind had floated back to the night they spent fighting dangers in the desert. And more so the event after. When it was all said and done Braeburn had given her a kiss in his excitement. But she hadn't really put too much thought to it. He was happy, as they all were, to survive the adventure. It was most likely just a reaction from that. But she'd be lying to herself if she claimed not to think about it now and then. It's not everyday that a handsome stallion just gives a mare a smooch out of the blue.

She snapped from her thoughts to see Braeburn was already back in the throws of the party. She just smiled to herself. They would get a chance to talk after it was calmed down. And until then she was going to just take it easy. It had been a long train ride. She quietly made her way toward the Inn where she could relax for the time being. She'd seek out Braeburn later, if he didn't find her first. The town wasn't that big, so it wouldn't be hard to catch him and meet up again.

"Us..." she mused to herself. "What could that mean...?"

(OOC: WillowWisp, if you want to head into the B&B as the inn, Thorn could use the company. ;)

The Mocha Mare giggled happily as she was led onto the dance floor. She blushed prettily as he took her left hoof in his right and bowed, then began the dance. Caramel had danced before, but those were mainly the Manehattan rock 'n roll scene or formal dancing for social galas.

The beat was very catchy as he led her through the steps, keeping her facing him. She fumbled a bit on her hooves in the first moments until she caught the beat. She whispered, unknowing he was already planning on giving instructions. "Braeburn, I'm afraid you'll have to give me some cues when I need them. But no matter what, I'm having fun!"

Thorn sighed as he brought in a new bowl of punch on a small wagon. He raised an eyebrow as he found two more frogs in the spoiled punch when he set it in the little red wagon. He chuckled as he towed the little red wagon back to Bistro's place. "Dont' worry little ones. I'll take care of you untill your little owner comes in for the night..."

The russet donkey took the frogs and popped them into a glass jar before emptying the punch bowl into the sink and returned to the front counter,waiting for late arrivals.

Candy Catch-em smiled as Dunder started dancing with her, and doing about as well as her. "Dont worry, i havent' danced country style before either. You are doing great as far as I can tell."

Dunder Blust stopped dancing and laughed a little, "I'm doing well?" He inquired. "I am not bad at dancing. You, on the other hoof, are pretty good at dancing. Although, that might be because I don't exactly know how to dance this Appleoosan way." He said and smiled nervously.

As Haymaker relayed her woes, Boxer couldn’t help but feel his own tears start to surface. The poor girl just wanted to be loved, but her habits kept getting her in hot water, made ponies afraid of her. Boy, could he ever relate. “’s okay,” he muttered, looking up at her. “Th-they don’ fink that bad of yeh. ‘m sure.”

What was the right thing to do in this situation? Give her a hug? Tell her it would get better? Explain how ponies and griffins got scared of him because of how big and bulky he was? Boxer couldn’t decide. He just bit his lip and looked away from Haymaker, meeting Dan’s eyes and just giving him a meek shrug.

In the meantime, Arrow had shaken his head and recovered from his earlier stupefaction. He realized that Max was, in fact, going to require an actual response to his offer. So Arrow sought him out and tapped him on the shoulder. “Mister Max, I fink I’m gunna take you up on it. I’ll give yeh all the background checks yeh wan’. Phys’cals, too. When ‘o we start?”

Maximilian looked around a bit, still trying to get accustomed to his new home, eventually he'd get used to it. His thoughts were interrupted by a tap on the shoulder, and the Rockefilly turned around to see that Arrow had caught up to him again. The other stallion's answer came as a relief to Max, who adjusted his jacket and cleared his throat.

"Well, once we get you all signed up, you'll be in work within two days. Of course, your first task will be to help set up all the structure's we'll need, including your quarters. For the time being, you and your friend will be staying in one of my guest rooms."

He nodded politely and smiled. "The background checks won't take too long, and I don't think a physical is necessary for either of you. To be honest, a pony's past shouldn't effect their chances of getting hired..."

Maximilian laughed loudly and gave Arrow a playful punch to the shoulder. "Just so long as we don't find anything too crazy, am I right?"

Haymaker looked up at Boxer and Dapper Dan. Each stallion seemed to be genuinely concerned about her, and although the red maned mare found this touching, she was still both embarrassed and sad about her recent behavior. While Doc Holly Day continued to play her fiddle for her as the rest of the band played on, Haymaker poured her heart out to both of them.

"Thank you both for your concern. I'm so sorry everypony saw me blow up like I did. I know I shouldn't have got so angry, but Haywire is always mishaving and Hayseed went too far in his last prank on me. All I ever wanted to do since I got here is make music and not do something stupid to make everypony afraid of me. Guys, I want to show you something."

Haymaker lifted her dress up high enough to show them her boxing glove cutie mark, more tears starting to roll down her face as she did it.

"I was trying to hide my cutie mark from view because it seems my special talent is... fighting. But there's some things that are worth fightin' for and I ain't afraid of standin' up fer my family and other ponies who are being wronged. But sometimes, like y'all saw here tonight, I jist git so mad that I do swing a hoof in anger. That ain't very lady-like and I know it makes other ponies nervous. That's why I'm sad now... because sometimes I'm my own worse enemy..."

More tears began to fall from the lanky country mare's eyes. Tears began to fall from the eyes of her sister and brother too, who overheard Haymaker's confession. Even Doc Holly Day was touched by her words. Meanwhile, as the music continued to play, Sheriff Silverstar and Louise LaMare danced together, but kept an eye on what was going on near the stage.

"Somethin's goin' on up thar," the mustached lawpony said. "Maybe I orta check it out."

"Looks like a private matter to me, dear," Louise said. "Besides, I want to keep dancing with you while I can. You're going to be calling the big square dance soon and I certainly can't dance with you then."

"Ya gotta point thar, Miss LaMare."

Dapper Dan looked back at Arrow, catching the shrug. He wasn't totally sure himself what to do but he'd figure it out. He looked back at Haymaker when she continued to speak, telling them about why she had exploded and fought, and what her cutie mark meant. He mulled it over for a minute, then smiled a little.

"Shoot," Dapper Dan began. In his short time in Appleloosa, he'd already picked up some words they used, and his voice drawled a little on the word. "It's not that bad. Everypony's bound to have done something like that before. You're definitely not the only one here to have gotten angry. So what if you're talented at fighting? Like you said, there's things worth fighting for. Not to mention, your brother DID kinda have it coming..." he trailed the last part off, turning his head to look at the stage and looking over the rim of his glasses at Hayseed. He gave him a look for a moment, then looked back at Haymaker, his glasses pushing back up his snout a little with a small glow of red ochre. "Nopony here's asking you to change. Y'are-" another Appleloosan thing, and another bit of a drawl, which all sounded funny with his Fillydelphian accent. "-who you are. And I'm fine with it...so long as I'm not on the end of that hoof." he added with a bit of a smile to show he was just kidding around.

Dapper Dan trotted over and wrapped his right foreleg around her, giving her a quick, but warm, hug. "I don't think anypony here's gunna hold any of this against you. I won't, at least." he said sincerely. So she punched her brother. He DID have it coming, for trying to mess up her night. So she was good at fighting, who cares? At least she wasn't picking a fight with everypony around.

"Come on. I think I've figured out this strange country dance stuff." he said with a chuckle, offering a hoof. Might as well try and get her mind off things, try and cheer her up a little.

((Lots going on but Braeburn is in the dance zone witht he date now, so he is kinda oblivious unless something directly intervenes. :P ))

Breaburn wasn’t surprised that those Manehattan dances were different than what you could find here in Appleloosa, and especially from his time at the Gala, he’d wager they simply weren’t as fun. He wasn’t disappointed, though – here was a fun chance to show Caramel a great time, and teach her how real dancing was done!

Braeburn grinned as he stepped along next to Caramel, his shoulder against her shoulder, his flank against her flank, looking down at their hooves. "It's like this... step forward, step back, give a little kick, " he said, his hooves following his words. He guided her in a circle as he cheerfully instructed, "turn a little circle, and then like this!" On that last bit, his hooves did a complicated sort of cross-over, clattering against the floor with an appealing staccato rhythm.

(OOC: waited to be sure I was up next. :) )

Caramel Bistro giggled happily as Braeburn walked her through the steps. She fumbled a little at the crossover but seemed to be catching on quickly enough.

She grinned with joy as she enjoyed herself dancing, her creamy tail swishing like cappuchino foam in the air as she concentrated on learning the dance.

'Oh my, I cant wait for the next hoedown if this is what Appaloosan dancing is like! Is this wild west dancing, or mild west dancing?"

She looked at Braeburn, her skirt swishing with her steps "How am I doing?"

Across the dance floor, Candy Catch-em blushed cutely "Really now, You think I'm dancing great? Its kind of you to say so. I've never done mild west dancing before.."

---

Meanwhile, Thorn sat on the outdoor dining deck to the B&B, realxing as he watched the fun and waited to see if there were any customers coming in.

"Now if only a jenny will come to Appleoosa..."

Dunder smiled and nodded to her, "Yes. You're good at dancing!" He said happily. "an it's called mild west dancing? That's good to know. Maybe I could take lessons and learn how to fail at it less."

• 2 weeks later...

The punch made Arrow stumble a bit. He wasn’t expecting that at all, not from one of the upper crust. Boxer, yes. Max, no. It wasn’t even that hard of a punch, either. He’d taken worse from Boxer before the big lug learned just how strong he was.

“Co’se not,” Arrow said. “I’m a changed stallion, I am.” Most of him was sure that the background check wouldn’t be “too crazy” for Max to accept. After all, the heists he pulled were small potatoes compared to some of the nasty customers he’d met in Beakbreak. “I’m gunna tell Boxer the good news. Lessee, where is ‘e?” Arrow looked around the hoedown, peering at the gathered ponies, until he found Boxer onstage.

When he saw Haymaker shedding more tears, Boxer found himself sniffling, too. Now he knew he had to do something to help cheer her up. All it took was the prompting of the other stallion, Dapper Dan, for him to come up onstage and embrace both of them in a hug. Of course, he forgot his own strength in the heat of the moment and squeezed them hard enough to knock the wind out of them. “Oh, sorry!” he said, immediately relaxing his grip enough to make them comfortable again. “I, um, I didn’t mean…”

“Oi, Boxer!” Arrow called out. “I di’n’t know ye were part a’ the performance!” He walked up to the stage, sporting a wide, knowing grin on his face. “Leave ye alone fer five minutes an’ ye fin’ a nice lady friend. Never woulda guessed.”

Boxer blushed and released Dan and Haymaker, his eyes flitting nervously between them and Arrow. “Oh, um, ‘ey Arrow,” he mumbled.

Haymaker gave out a 'ooof' in Boxer's strong embrace, but she liked being hugged so she didn't mind at all. After the hug was released, the lanky red maned mare turned towards Dapper Dan and smiled.

"Thank you, Boxer, I needed that," the tall mare said as she finished wiping her eyes of tears.

"I would be happy to dance with ya, Dapper Dan," she said as she turned her head quickly towards Doc Holly Day. The older unicorn just smiled and gave a polite nod, indicating that he'd 'cover for her' as she followed the stallion out on the dance floor. "And I hope we all can talk later, together, Boxer!"

"Ah! Good to see Haymaker relaxin' fer a change," Doc Holly Day said, his levitation magic still playing every note of the song on his accordian and the mare's fiddle.

"Hay! Ain't she supposed ta be helpin' us?" Haywire squealed as the rust colored filly continued to play.

"T'aint fair!" added Hayseed, still plucking the string on his washtub base.

"Fair? FAIR?" the red mustached unicorn snarled. "You call the way you treated your older sister FAIR?"

Both Hayseed and Haywire bowed their heads in shame while out on the dance floor, the Sheriff and Louise LaMare continued to dance together.

"See Sheriff, I told you they'd work things out," the brown Pegasus mare said softly.

"Reckon yur right, ma'am. And ain't that the hot headed mare goin' out ta dance with Dapper Dan?"

"Sure looks that way. They do look good together."

Dapper Dan let out a soft grunt of his own when the large blue stallion wrapped both him and Haymaker in a hug. He had quite the strength behind him. He laughed and smiled, patting Boxer on the side with a hoof. "No harm done, big guy." he said cheerfully. There really wasn't, and he didn't want the Earth pony to feel bad. He looked over at Haymaker and smiled back, happy she'd accepted. "You'll have to excuse me though, I've never really done this before. I can sing but not dance, heh." he said, trotting off to the dance floor and finding a relatively clear spot to dance. "Something like this, right?" he asked, taking a few steps with his hooves like he'd seen the other ponies on the floor do. It was a little un-coordinated, but at least he wasn't falling all over himself.

((OOC Note - I figure to help move the thread along, I'd move the first dance along, in case folks want to get a chance to dance or dance with others. ;-) ))

Braeburn smiled broadly as he continued his fast moving dance with his lovely date. He was truly enjoying himself - wild west dances were one of his favorite pastimes; it was a great opportunity to both flirt and impress. How could any stallion not want to do this?

He was also delighted that Caramel Bistro was picking up the dance so quickly. Sure, several of her steps were awkward, but she was keeping up and quickly adapting to his moves. Braeburn winked as he picked up the pace some, swinging her around. "Y'all surely are catching on quickly, Miss Caramel; y'all are a natural at this! Truly, y'all fit right in with us fine folk in good ol' AAAAPPLELOOSA!" As he continued the quick and exciting pace with her, enjoying watching how she twirled in her fine dress, the answer to her question was quite self-apparent but he decided to answer anyway, "this here is a wild west dance, we have the mild kind too at some hoedowns, but the wild ones are more mah style!"

The dance lasted several minutes, but he enjoyed every second of the cavort. As the music died down and all the dancers settled down for a brief rest before the next song, Braeburn was pleased to see that it looked like everypony was enjoying themselves - the earlier confusion having passed to the wayside. He smiled back to his date. "So, Miss Caramel, what do y'all think of yer first hoedown?"

• 3 weeks later...

(ooc): Since no one else is posting and we need to move the story along, I'll post again

Haymaker was having the time of her life dancing with Dapper Dan. Taking the lead, the equine couple danced so well together, other ponies in the crowd began to take notice.

"WOW!" Louise LaMare neighed as she danced with the Sheriff. "Those two really know how to hoof it!"

"They sure do, Miss LaMare," added the mustached lawpony, "didn't know they had it in'm!"

On stage, Haymaker's siblings also noticed how well their older sister was dancing in the crowd.

"Who knew sis had dance moves like that?" Hayseed asked, not missing a note while playing his washtub base.

"I sure didn't!" Haywire quipped taking a very short 'talk break' between juice harp strokes.

A wide grin came upon Doc Holly Day's face.

"That filly deserves to have a nice time after all she's been through," the red maned unicorn neighed while he 'magically' continued to play his floating instruments.

Dapper Dan got rather caught up in the dance, trying to run through the moves in his head while at the same time not tripping over his own hooves, and trying to keep up with Haymaker. He got so caught up he didn't notice that they were attracting a lot of attention from the crowd around them, until there was a short break in the dance that let him relax for a moment and look around. He laughed a little nervously, shifting his glasses.

"We've attracted a bit of an audience. Or, well, you at least. I'm still all left hooves." he said with a chuckle. He was being a little modest...he wasn't half bad. "You can dance really well, Haymaker." he complimented, tilting his newsboy cap back a bit and getting ready for the next part of the dance.

[Yeah, looks like a few people have either forgotten or just gotten really busy.]

(OOC: oops, forgot about Candy)

Madam Caramel Bistro giggled happily as she found herself finding her beat in the dancing.

"Oh my, This is Wild West Dancing? This is a lot of fun! And thank you for saying I fit in so well here, Braeburn."

The mare panted happily as the dance ended, and the ponies all took a breather before the next one.

Caramel smiled to Braeburn "So far it's been as lively and fun as any block party back in Manehattan, and the dance teachers are wonderful company too..." she winked.

She looked up at the moon shining brightly down on the gathering, further well lit by party lanterns "I think I'll make it a point to come to every Hoedown from now on."

Meanwhile Candy Catch-em giggled softly and poked her wing into Dunder's side teasingly. "You are doing a good job with this dancing as it is. You just need more practice. Perhaps with an amber colored pegasus mare, hm?"

Edited by Boss_Hoss1

• 2 weeks later...

((Remember folks, you can conclude your dancing, or ask others to dance or at least talk to others :) Moving the night along here...))

Braeburn enjoyed the various western tunes as he danced with Caramel, who certainly appeared to have taken to the various Wild West dances like a natural; he hadn’t even noticed the time, as Luna’s moon tracked half way across the night, signaling midnight. As the latest last tune approached its conclusion, Braeburn swung his date around in circles, twirling her in the cool night air as the full moon shone down on them both. “Yeeeeehawww!!! Now this was a hoedown!” Placing her back down, he was still smiling brightly, “Ah hope ya’ll don’t mind that bit of excitement. Here in APPPPPLELOOSA, we put the wild in Wild West!”

Braeburn supposed that sounded a little corny, but corny somehow felt appropriate. “Why don’t we mosey on over ta a couple drinks afore the Sheriff announces the hoedown over for the night. Y'all can tell me if'n you’ve met any interestin’ folks yet. Ah sure hope t' think the town has been treaten’ y'all well.” He was pretty confident that Caramel’s brief stay in the town had been a pleasant one - he was more curious if she had run into any interesting stallions in town, just not wanting to frame the question as such.

As the band rested and prepared for their closing number, Haymaker took this opportunity to walk with Dapper Dan over to the refreshment tables.

"Oh Dan, you dance divinely!" the happy red maned mare neighed. "This has been the most wonderful night of my life! I'd love to dance the last dance with you, but I really should join the rest of my family on stage to play fer the square dance number the Sheriff's gonna call out. But when he's all through with that, could I spend some more time with ya?"

As she finished speaking, Doc Holly Day dragged Hayseed and Haywire over towards her, levitating them magically before plopping both of them to the ground.

"Pardon us a moment, but before we do the last set with the Sheriff, THESE two have somethin' to say to Haymaker, DON'T YA?"

"We're powerful surry fer treatin' ya the way we did, sis," Hayseed muttered with his head bowed low.

"Me too, sis," added little Haywire, the rust colored filly bowing her head low too.

"I fergive you guys," Haymaker said, joining her siblings in a brief group hug. "And brother, surry I walloped ya."

"Nope, I had it comin' to me, sis," the young stallion admitted as Sheriff Silverstar approached them.

"Alright folks, we best git ready for the square dancin' numbers," the mustached lawpony said as Doc Holly Day, Haymaker, Haywire and Hayseed nodded in agreement.

"I'll be back, Dan, after we're all done playin'!" Haymaker shouted as the group got back up on stage to tune their instruments. Louise LaMare walked up towards the stage.

"Well, with the Sheriff up on stage, if I can't find a dance partner soon, I won't be able to participate in the square dance!" the brown Pegasus mare said as the Sheriff approached the megaphone on the stage.

"Ladie and Gentlecolts! Time fer the big square dance! Grab yurself a partner and join in the fun! A one, a one two three four!"

Doc Holly Day (on this accordian), Haymaker (with her fiddle), Hayseed (on the washtub base) and Haywire (on her juice harp) all began to play square dance music as the Sheriff 'called' the dance.

"Places all! Bow to your corner, bow to your own.

(Singing.) All hooves up and 'round you go,

Break it up with a dosey-do.

Chicken in the bread pan kickin' out dough,

Skip to ma Lou my darling.

The ladies out ya purty little things,

Promenade around the ring,

Big foot up and little foot down,

Make that big foot jar the ground.

Gals step back and all colts in,

Back you go and forward again.

Step right up with an elbow swing,

Skip to ma Lou my darling.

Allemande left with the old left hoof

Follow through and raise the roof.

Meet your honey with a great big smile

Promenade Buffalo style."

Dunder blushed a little as she suggested that he needed more practice dancing. When she suggested another mare, he looked her in the eye, "What are you saying? do you want me to leave you alone?" He asked, not sure what he meant. Then he remembered why he didn't talk to mares that often.

"Wait, do you mean you?" He asked, blushing a little "Because, you know, we are already dancing..." He chuckled. "But if you want me to ask you out to the dance formally, here it goes." He stood up straight and cleared his throat, "Miss Candy, would you like to dance with in the square dances?" He asked.

Dapper Dan glanced over at the stallion not far away, grinning. Braeburn seemed exceptionally chipper, which was saying something given that, from what he could tell, that stallion had boundless amounts of cheer and energy. He fought not to laugh, looking back at Haymaker and smiling a little sheepishly at her compliment. He stopped at the refreshment table with her, taking a moment to help himself to a glass of water.

"Thanks. You've got some fancy hoofwork yourself, Haymaker." he said sincerely. She'd done better than he had. He nodded in understanding at what she said...after all, the mare had come down here as part of the band. He didn't mind letting her go for a little to finish up the set.

"Of course you can. I'll be here, probably out by the refreshments here." he said with a smile. Before he had a chance to add anything else, Doc Holly Day came over with Haymaker's siblings. He smiled at their apology, as they did seem sincere in it, and heck, there was no harm done, really.

"Have fun up there, Haymaker. I'll be around." he assured her with a warm smile, giving her another quick hug and letting her head off onto the stage.

Confident in his dancing skills, and not really wanting to miss out on the fun, Dapper Dan looked around the crowd and saw a group of mares. Most of them found partners with other stallions in the town except one. Not wanting to be left out for the dance, and figuring neither did the mare, he trotted over, to ask her for a dance. It was just a for-fun type deal...he'd rather have had the last dance with Haymaker, as she'd told him, but she was busy right now, and figured she wouldn't mind terribly. He fell into position with the rest of the ponies, and while he stumbled around at first, the young barber finally figured out the right steps, and was square-dancing with the best of them.

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC: I was hoping Inkwell would answer by now, but I will go ahead and post after being asked)

Madam Bistro smiled and nodded, noticing she is feeling thirsty after that workout. "Why thank you Braeburn, I would be delighted."

She trotted on over with the energetic stallion and took a cup of punch. "Well, I have been meeting a lot of unusual ponies since I have been here. Those twin pegasi here to see a comet, those twin unicorn stallions out to con everypony in town with their fancy machine wagon, that huge bandit, Dusty, And even Mr. Rockefilly there. These are a greater variety of ponies than I've seen in a year back in Manehattan. This is the most amazing place for such a new town." She smiled at Braeburn. "Thank you for asking me to the hoedown, Braeburn."

Across the crowd, Candy Catch-em smiled at Dunder "Thank you, kind sir Yes, lets dance and give us both some practice at this kind of dancing."

(So sorry about the delay, everyone.)

Arrow didn’t need much incentive to start dancing with his fellow Appleloosans. He quickly learned the dancing patterns and kept up with their every move throughout the night. Every time it looked like somepony was struggling to find a new partner, he stepped up and offered his services. After a while, though, he felt himself starting to sweat with the effort, and he took a pause to wipe his brow with his fetlocks. “Cor, these App’loosans ken move,” he muttered, just before he heard somepony cry out in surprise.

That somepony was Boxer’s dance partner, a young mare half his size who had bumped into him after he failed to make the right move. He helped her back up, mumbling barely audible apologies to her. “’m so sorry ‘bout that, I shoulda looked where I was goin’.”

“No no no, it’s my fault,” she responded. “I’m the one who bumped into you.”­

“You arright, Boxer?” Arrow said. He walked across the dance field to take a closer look.

“I dun’ wanna dance no more, Arrow,” Boxer said. “I keep bumpin’ inna other ponies an’ ruinin’ the dance fer ‘em.”

“Aw, come off it, mate. Yeh were doin’ okay till jes’ now.”

Boxer shook his head. “Alla the other ponies ‘ad the same problem. They jes din’t say nuffin.”

“Right, come on, les getcha outta the way.” Arrow led Boxer off the dance floor and next to the table of refreshments. “Tell yeh what, Boxer, what’s say we all ‘ave somefin’ to eat ‘n drink, then we kin dance togevver later? If yer up to it.”

Boxer nodded and looked away from Arrow.

“Tha’s the spirit, mate!” he said. The two of them proceeded to help themselves to a generous helping of snacks and punch. As they ate, Arrow’s eyes darted from one dancing, celebrating pony to the next, occasionally smiling and nodding in approval of what he saw. Boxer, on the other hoof, kept his eyes squarely focused on Haymaker performing onstage with her family. He sighed through his nose, since his mouth was full of onion rings.

“She’s a pretty thing, int she?” Arrow asked.

Boxer flinched and turned his head to look at Arrow. He swallowed his mouthful and nodded. “Uh huh. She looks strong, too. But I fink she already got somepony else for her…” He glanced at Dapper Dan.

Arrow shrugged. “What can I tell yeh? Plenny a’ mares ‘round, mate, if yeh gotta ‘ave one.”

With a sigh, Boxer kicked at a clod of dirt on the ground.