Fallen Victim to MLP: The riverhippo story

Hippo

Well, here I am...

Hello, my name is Adam, riverhippo is the online alias I like to go by. I am from Dallas, Texas. I enjoy intelligent forums and well written RPs. I also regularly post on spyroforum.com and darkspyro.net, as I am a huge Spyro the Dragon fan.

It all started when I was browsing darkspyro when a topic showing 7 pages of replies caught my interest. The topic discussed the new cartoon series of the MLP universe and as I read carefully all of the older posts, I was intrigued. So I decided to view some video clips of the show to see what all the fuss was about. I was taken by the show's charm and ingenious character development. Within the next two days, I watched all of the 'so-far-aired' epsiodes and became an official fan of the series.

Now I only call it "fallen vitcim" because as a 24 year-old guy, My Little Pony isn't really a show that I said, "I think I might like this...," it's more of a phenomenon that I have given in to the pleasures of participating in MLP fandom. Something I like about myself is that I don't judge things right away and I give it a chance to win me over--sometimes I can be too forgiving. So while others my gender and age think that a sex change is involved in order to enjoy this show, I allowed this show to impress me with its brilliance in quality, art, voice acting, and charm. I'm not too insecure about this, as it's not too far-fetched that a guy would like this show. I am still tickled to death about it, because a show like this bridges the hormonal gap between male and female, which is kind of hard to explain... Basically, even though females dominate the universe, it's almost as appropriate to call it unisex or neutered, IMO.

My rant is over.

Hope you'll have me.

I plan on being active in the RP section with original characters as well as a possible clash between MLP and Spyro universe in the crossover section.

Welcome to the forums :}

I understand the feeling of being pulled into a "kids show" and feeling a little bit embarassed, or even awkward about how it could happen; but the overwhelming truth seems to be that most viewers for MLP FiM are somewhere between 20-26. So, truly, you are among bronies and friends :3 Faust has won us all over with her clever concepts and somehow addicting style; and the MLP brought the characters to life with their personalities and well spent talents. In this case, I think the show is well designed to the point its enjoyable for all ages- I would take a gamble that anyone who outright dislikes the show, likely hasnt taken the time to give it a chance.

Make yourself comfy here! As soon as you get to 5+ posts, the other features of the board should open up to you; so feel free to introduce yourself to others, or welcome others as well. As soon as your able to post in our applications section, you can also submit a character sheet to get your pony approved (if you have one in the works) for the RP sections of the site.

We'll definitely have you, and I hope you find your stay here as positive and enriching as I have. Glad to have you on-board!

Thanks!!

Currently, I'm trying to create my own avatar using good ol' reliable MSPaint. I'm using Big Macintosh as a template to create a Spyro character-if he existed in this universe...

Here's what I got so far:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2376/spyroavatar.jpg

Haha yes I don't get what was so enthralling about the series either. At first viewing my assessment was "A decent kids show, but I don't see the adult appeal."

After watching 5 episodes it started to grow on me (like cancer I might add) and soon enough I'd seen every episode, half of them twice. I still can't explain why I like it. Usually I prefer shows with adult subtext like Nicktoons, but for some reason I just like this show.

Being the nerd I am I can't way to see the world fleshed out more. More fantastical creatures, cultures, governments, social hierarchies, and definitely more of the military. A lot of the art I do draw is of potential warponies and what kinds of weapons they'd be able to wield.

Though I ruin everything with realism. :B

But see, that's just it. Cartoons are more attractable when they become relate-able. But the most realistic they get, the more scary-looking they can become. The best cartoons are the ones that balance these two perfectly.

A cartoon can have realistic elements, but it's still remains a cartoon. Real life can sometimes be cartoony, but it's still real life.

cartoonreal.jpg

Side note: South Park is an animation, but it's not a cartoon.

While this is all well and good, as we know from any other major cartoon series, usually small hints or vague concepts of these sorts of things are provided then built upon by nerds who love realism.

Nerds who, for instance, devised a helmet and hoofboot set specifically designed to maximize potential offensive capability of a quadraped equine.

Nerds like me.

Welcome, though I'm new as well. I understand about the rant, myself.

Me and my two brothers get teased by our mother and other female relatives for watching.

In fact I was more than nervous when I started making a character or posting ideas/pics.. @w@

I think if the show's title was anything but MLP, it might've been taken more lightly that males watch it.

Considering the old MLP was more of a girl/children's show? I don't know, haven't seen it.

Still, for some people it's something you have to see to appreciate. That and titles and categorization are a big thing for some.

Anyway, I hope you can enjoy the forums and I'm glad you don't judge things.

When I explain it to others, one things I say is that the animation style is like the Powerpuff Girls. Thats usually helps them understand, because PPG is a good show tolerable for both genders and several age groups. MLP has always been a little girls show, until now. (I apologize for any males a long time fan of MLP)

When I explain it to others, one things I say is that the animation style is like the Powerpuff Girls. Thats usually helps them understand, because PPG is a good show tolerable for both genders and several age groups. MLP has always been a little girls show, until now. (I apologize for any males a long time fan of MLP)

When I first watched the show, the animation totally reminded me of The Powerpuff Girls.

You do know why it may seem similar to PPG, right?

When I first watched the show, the animation totally reminded me of The Powerpuff Girls.

Is it because it's the same lead artists?

Ya know, I could totally go to wikipedia and imdb and look everything up. But, I'm gonna give you the honor of telling me exactly why they are similar.

Is it because it's the same lead artists?

Ya know, I could totally go to wikipedia and imdb and look everything up. But, I'm gonna give you the honor of telling me exactly why they are similar.

Ahaha thanks.

Lauren Faust, the creator (also storyboard artist, executive producer, and developer), is married to THE creator of PPG. So she did some storyboard work for it, and was one of the writers and directors. So, one of the creative minds that helped make The Powerpuff Girls is the creator.

Also, fun fact, the voice actor for Bubbles is also the voice actor for Twilight Sparkle.

yeah, Tara Strong is a great voice actor.

What struck me crazy was that other voices in the show sounded familiar, but they weren't who I thought they were. Before I looked at the voice actor's parts, I thought for sure that Tara also did the voice for Fluttershy. And I also thought that Rainbow Dash sounded like E.G. Daily. But I was wrong. I also recognized the voice for Spike, but alas, it too was not who I thought.

Great voice acting in the production though, no doubt!

• 1 year later...

Well well. Look at this guy.

That's right! It's my two year anniversary on this website, or rather the equestria.electronook/canterlot.com family. It is also the two year of mark of me being a brony.

Happy 2 Year Broniversary to me!!!! :smug:

To celebrate my two lively years as a lover of technicoloured ponies, I have made myself brand new banners that I will now use for all of my role play characters in the RP sections.

bannersugar.png

bannerremington.png

bannermiracle.png

banner_madden_zpsaa862913.png

bannergranola.png

bannercoconut.png

bannerarrow.png

bannerapplejack.png

• Like 1