[Canterlot] The Perfect Fit [Open]

CrossStitch

At Cross-Stitch's tailor shop...

Cross-Stitch opened he doors to his shop with a light nudge. The door swung open and revealed the bustling city scene that was Canterlot to him. Noise poured into the shop, as well as the light from Celestia's bright sun. Cross-Stitch stood for a while, admiring the city scene before him. He always enjoyed his life here in Canterlot, and he always enjoyed the hustle and bustle of the city every morning when he opened up shop. Many ponies were out and about on this morning, going about their business, opening stalls, taking their filly's to class, and even stopping to chat with one another. Cross-Stitch could only smile as he turned from the scene before him to finish preparing his shop.

He brought out some of his latest suits to put on display in the front window to attract customers. Cross-Stitch stood for a second to examine his latest works. With a hoof to his chin, and scrutinizing eyes, he went over every detail in the suit. He nodded with a smile at his work an trotted off, eager to finish setting up shop. One of Cross-Stitch's favorite parts of running a store, wasn't actually the sales, but was instead getting to meet new ponies.

After setting out his final suit for display, he turned to examine the shop. He let out a low 'Hmm' as his over-examining eyes went over the shop again and again. A wide smile spread across his face as he nodded again in satisfaction. He personally deemed the shop ready to open. As he trotted to the "Closed" sign to flip it around, he caught a glimpse of himself in a mirror. "Oh my, I almost forgot the most important thing to prepare: Myself!" Cross-Stitch said with a light giggle. He trotted up the stairs of his shop to his living quarters.

Upstairs was a wreck compared to the shop downstairs, but it was the way Cross-Stitch liked it. Fabric was strewn out everywhere, a table was cluttered with needles and spools, walls were decorated with design ideas, and Cross-Stitch loved it. His mind felt free to wander up here, and wander it did. After a quick bath, and some grooming of his mane, Cross-Stitch finally deemed himself ready to present to the public.

He trotted back downstairs to the "Closed" sign outside of his shop, "I hereby pronounce 'The Perfect Fit,' open!" said Cross-Stitch as he turned the sign to display 'Open.'

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colton, the white pelted, blue maned pegasus was passing on through Canterlot as he had done many times on his travels, with his pet brown and white sparrow Sparks following closely behind.

Usually Colton would just buy some provisions and ask for directions on where to go next, but he had other business in Canterlot. On his way to Canterlot Colton had had a slight 'mishap' involving a tree and his custom made coat was torn in two, so now Colton was stuck looking for a tailor to help him.

Colton walked through the bustling streets of the magnificent city, no matter how many times he saw it, it never really got old in his eyes. Colton and Sparks wandered aimlessly about the market, looking for a tailor that would suit their needs, Colton had visited other tailors before and knew where the were but he was always keen on trying new things.

The two wandered a little longer until Sparks tugged on Colton's ear, "Ouch, seriously buddy, you gotta stop doing that!" Colton said in a stern voice. Sparks didn't respond and pointed out to Colton a small shop. Colton examined the shop window and said to his little friend, "The Perfect Fit? You think it's a tailor buddy?" Sparks pecked Colton's head as he was sure that it was obvious that it was, "Alright I get it." Colton stated as he swatted away his friend, "Your lucky the only reason you ain't on a plate is cause I wouldn't want anypony to have the discomfort of tasting you." Colton said in a light hearted, jokey tone.

Colton opened the shop door and peeked in, Sparks doing the same, "Uh excuse me? Anypony here?"

"Just one moment!" came a voice from upstairs. Within seconds, the sound of hooves against wood echoed as Cross-Stitch made his way downstairs.

"Welcome to 'The Perfect Fit,' my name is Cross-Stitch, how may I help you sir?" Cross-Stitch wore a warm smile. He was in a very chipper mode due to his first customer coming in so soon after opening, the mood reflected in his eyes, causing them to shimmer with joy. Cross-Stitch had also decided to don his red scarf, which he adjusted once he had reached the bottom of the stairs. He gave his head a small flick to move his mane back into place as well. Sub-consciously, Cross-Stitch was already mentally dressing the customer up in many of his created outfits, thinking of which ones would look best on him, whilst mumbling to himself "No no... That wouldn't look right... Maybe...?"

"Hey there, my names Colton Cloudkicker, and this is my little buddy Sparks." Colton stated as he pointed out his bird, "Pleasure to meet you." Colton said as he held out a hoof.

Colton examined Cross-Stitch trying to get a mental image of what he were like, Colton was always a good judge of character. He looked about the store and found it quite charming, adorned with garments and suits that you would only see V.I.P's wear, all in all Colton was very impressed.

"I gotta say, it's a very fine establishment you have here Cross-Stitch, very charming indeed." Sparks pecked Colton on the head once more and then pointed at the torn coat inside Colton's pouch. Colton reached in and pulled it out with his mouth presenting it to Cross-Stitch.

"I was just wondering if you could fix this coat up for me." Colton said as he was back on track. Colton then glanced around a bit and he noticed something, no customers, newest clothes, flustered attendant. He then asked, "If you don't me asking Cross-Stitch, is this store new, and if so, am I your first customer?"

"The pleasure is mine, Mr. Cloudkicker." Cross-Stitch said as he shook the pegasi's hoof. Cross-Stitch was so used to using 'Mr.' and 'Ms.' as he grew up, that he never actually got out of the habit. Anytime he met somepony new, they were always 'Mr.' or 'Ms.' to him, especially if they were a customer, such as Colton.

Cross-Stitch's eyes lit up at the compliment for his store, "Th-Thank you sir. I try my best! I woke up very early this morning to make sure the shop is up and ready to go, as well as looking its best." Cross-Stitch again took another look around the shop as he spoke, admiring his work. 'One MUST be confident of ones own work.' was what his mother always told him, and he stuck to that like glue. He would often admire his outfits after finishing them. Not only did admiring his own work put him in a good mood, but it also allowed him to notice smaller details that he had messed up on, allowing him to keep all of his outfits absolutely perfect.

Cross-Stitch snapped back to reality as he recognized he actually had a request to attend to. He trotted forward and began examining the jacket closely. He began noticing the way the jacket was made first, then the material used, then he actually noticed the large tear in it. "Oh my... That's quite a tear. Of course I'll be able to repair it though. It shall be no trouble at all." Cross-Stitch waved his hoof in the air, as if dismissing any problems in the request.

Cross-Stitch's heart skipped a beat as the last sentence registered in his mind, "Ah...Well, that is correct sir. I've been designing and tailoring clothes for a while now, but it wasn't until just recently that I decided to turn the first floor of my home into a store. So, yes, you are indeed my first customer, and this shop is indeed quite new."

"Seriously, wow, you did a really good job presenting this place, if you don't me saying." Colton kept looking around and admiring all the fantastic clothes, memories of his child hood flew back to him as he remembered that his foster parents used to own a small business like this one.

Colton snapped back into reality when Sparks pulled his ear once again, "Ok, you're just doing that for fun now aren't ya?" Colton said in his usual jokey manner. He continued to look around whilst Cross-Stitch worked on the jacket, still amazed at all the fine details that were put into this small place, "So Cross-Stitch, if you don't mind me asking, how did you find time to do all this, I mean you must of had a job before having a private business, right?"

Cross-Stitch lowered his head to hide the encroaching blush on his face, "Th-Thank you again, sir."

Cross-Stitch stopped working when Colton asked him a question, "A job before this...? Not at all, actually. I've been designing clothes since I was a foal." Cross-Stitch looked down at the coat, noticing it needed a bit more work. He began to repair the coat and talk at the same time now, "This used to be my mothers house, but she passed it on to me when father and her decided to move to Ponyville. It wasn't until a week ago that I decided to actually make the first floor a shop though." Cross-Stitch raised the jacket up to closer inspect his work. He put the jacket back under the needle and went back to work, "How did such a fine coat get in this condition?"

"Funny you should ask that actually, I was on my way here from Ponyville to deliver a package, and little Sparks here challenged me to a race, the odd thing is that I usually win but the little sucker outmanoeuvred me and I flew into a tree, and well you can guess the rest." Colton said whilst looking at Sparks with an unhappy look, and Sparks with his typical smug attitude.

"So tell me Cross-Stitch, is there a lot of work for you here in Canterlot? When I ever come here I just pass on though and don't give it a second thought, also, what is it like in Canterlot, living wise I mean." Colton stated as he continued to look around the store still amazed on the effort put into it.

"One last question, if you don't mind?" Colton said as he examined Cross-Stitch working on his jacket, "Do you have any help here or is it just you?"

Cross-Stitch could only laugh at the story, "You MUST be more careful with your clothing."

Cross-Stitch stopped working to think about the line of questioning. No one had really asked much about any of those topics, so it actually took him a second to formulate an answer. "Well, there is quite a bit of work for me. I do not know many designers who have shop's here in Canterlot, and of those tailors, I do not know any who also design clothing. Canterlot just seemed like the best place to set up shop. I actually did consider Ponyville, with my parents, but I heard there's a pretty famous designer who lives there. So I decided against it." Cross-Stitch held the coat up once more to admire it. Cross-Stitch nodded, and deemed it repaired. "Living in Canterlot is...Well, it's something else. I, personally, adore the hustle and bustle of the city, and I love the city nights. The noise takes some getting used to, but after you're used to it... It's actually kind of pleasant. I've lived here all my life though, I don't know what it's like to live anywhere else."

Cross-Stitch brought the coat over to Conor, "It's only me who works here actually. Not many other ponies are cut out to do the work I do, I suppose."

"Yeah I really wish I could help but, I'm all hooves as it seems. Maybe Sparks could help you out considering he outsmarted me." Colton said in a sarcastic tone as he examined his coat. Colton was surprised by the craftsmanship on his coat, it was like it was brand new.

"So you mentioned some famous designer, I think I may know who you're talking about, I think I worked for her once. She was a bit picky if I do say so myself."

Colton examined his coat further until he was interrupted by Sparks again, "Ok, seriously Sparks, if you pull my ear again-"

Colton was interrupted by a swift pecking, Colton swiped at Sparks but missed entirely.

Sparks flew to the other side of the room and untied a dress tie sitting on display on a suit, "No Sparks! You don't do that to other ponies things." Sparks ignored Colton and continued on, but Colton was surprised with what happened next.

Sparks with the greatest of ease had retied the tie, Colton was so shocked to see this, and Sparks kept on doing it to every suit on the row.

Colton turned to Cross-Stitch, "Well you said no many ponies, but what about birds. I don't know about you but he seems very.....uh handy, I mean.....wingy."

(ooc: this might be my last post tonight, I might squeeze in another, but can't be too sure, let's continue it tommorow :D)

"Oh, it's quite fine. I've done this for years you see, so it's as simple as breathing to me!" Cross-Stitch smiled warmly.

Cross-Stitch looked out the window of his shop, as if he was looking out into Ponyville, "I've heard the same actually. If only I could remember that name... Rare? I can't quite recall." Cross-Stitch shook his head, trying to organize his thoughts. He had never thought much about the designer, but perhaps he should. he decided then that he'd look into her more later on.

Cross-Stitch's eyes were wide at the display before him, "Indeed." Was all Cross-Stitch could manage to say, "Your pet, I assume?" Cross-Stitch re-directed his view back to Colton.

(( Agreed. I'll definitely be online tomorrow. I must say this has gone quite well for my first RP topic, haha ))

"Yeah Sparks is my pet." Colton stated in a clear voice, he was then pecked by Sparks again, "Although he doesn't like me saying so." Colton said as he rubbed his head. He refocused his thoughts and then continued, "I had little Sparks here since I was little, I found him in a nest that fell from a tree in my backyard. And well, the rest is history I guess." Colton said as he winked at his little buddy.

Sparks flew back to the suits and continued what he was doing before, Colton then spoke up, "But in all the years we've travelled together I never expected him to be able to do, this." Colton said, still perplexed about the whole situation.

"I must say, in all my years of designing, I've never seen anything like this." Cross-Stitch held a hoof to his chin, trying to make sense of the situation.

He turned back to Colton, "What brings you to Canterlot anyways, Colton? You say you pass through here a lot, so I assume you do not actually live here?"

"No actually I'm just passing on through we're delivering a package to a client, me and Sparks here travel a lot. I think this is about our third time in Canterlot, but I'm not to sure." Colton said as he tried to remember more of the details, as he did this Sparks continued fiddling with the clothes.

"Me and Sparks have been to a tonne of places, Ponyville, Manehatten, Fillydelphia, all around Equestria." Colton stated as he proudly reminded himself of his past adventures. "I remember this one time, Sparks and myself did an important delivery and we managed to score two tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala, and, you're gonna love this bit. The entire place was in ruins by the time we left , we don't even know what caused it. Good thing though, it was really boring that night." Colton stated as he barely contained his laughter.

Sparks continued on with the clothes as content as ever, when Colton had an idea "Wait a second..." Colton said as he looked around and once again admired the craftsmanship on all the clothes, he didn't want this effort to go unrewarded, he also saw a poster advertising this years gala, that's when it clicked.

"Cross-Stitch, I have an amazing idea! Remember I said that me and Sparks bagged early tickets to last years gala by delivering a package, well guess what. That same client is the one who hired me to come here. If I could convince him too maybe I could get tickets for this year's gala." Colton stopped and took a breath, as he was so excited he tired himself, "And if I play my cards right, I could get you tickets as well, imagine how good that could be for your business!" Colton stated as his eyes beamed with enthusiasm.

Cross-Stitch sighed, "I once dreamed of travelling. My father was a travelling artist you see, so I always thought travelling was in my blood. It wasn't the travelling though, it was the art. But, my clothes will go on journeys I could barely dream of, and that's good enough for me." As Cross-Stitch spoke, he moved to one of his outfits and lifted a sleeve to inspect it. He smiled at his own handiwork, and imagined the outfit being bought by a travelling designer. Perhaps even Hoity Toity himself. He imagined the outfit making it to Ponyville, to Trottingham, and even Roam.

Cross-Stitch dropped the sleeve of the outfit at Colton's offering. His eyes went wide, and had a fiery look to them, "Th-The Grand Galloping Gala!?" Cross-Stitch's timid side cracked as the topic of the Grand Galloping Gala arose. "I-I've always dreamed of going to the Gala. I would design an outfit for it every year, j-just in case..." Cross-Stitch looked to the ground, slightlty defeated. He had never once received an invitation to the Gala, but he always wanted to go.

"Mr. Cloudkicker, I simply could not ask you to go through trouble on my behalf though."

"Nonsense Cross-Stitch, I have been to lots tailors before on my travels but not once have I ever seen a pony with your determination and creativity." Colton said as Sparks nodded to agree with him, "Besides, why not. There is an amazing opportunity laid out in front of us, I've been friends with that client for a while and he knows all the big names in fashion, like Hoity Toity and that other one, uh, Photo Finish."

Sparks brought the poster over to further emphasise his point ,"I just couldn't bare to see someone with your talent not be appreciated, besides it's no trouble to me at all, seriously." Colton said as he pleaded with Cross-Stitch.

Sparks then did a small begging pose with his wings to further emphasise Colton's point, "Uh...Sparks you may want to tone it down a bit, you're starting to creep me out little buddy." Colton said, as he was perplexed by Sparks' behaviour today.

Cross-Stitch's eyes darted back and forth, he bit his lip trying to stifle a smile. He never liked accepting favors, he would rather be the one giving the favors actually. But this was the Grand Galloping Gala, "I...Uh, I'd be honored, Mr. Cloudkicker." Cross-Stitch lowered his head, almost as if bowing. "Thank you very much. Your kindness is enviable." Cross-Stitch raised his head, which revealed he was wearing a large grin on his face. Ideas for outfits were already flowing through his head for what he should wear. Then it struck him, the perfect idea.

"Mr. Cloudkicker, as thanks, please allow me design you an outfit for the Gala, it would be no trouble at all." Cross-Stitch again waved his hoof through the air, "And I just cannot take 'No' for answer!"

"Wow, I'm, well I'm touched. But if anypony was to make me a suit, I'm glad it would be you." Colton said as he answered Cross-Stitch's smile with his own. Sparks then interrupted the conversation with yet another tugging on Colton's ear, Colton said nothing as he was used to it at this point.

Sparks then started to make a series of gestures, Colton analysed the sparrows every move, the two had always had an easy time communicating with each other, even though they were different species. Sparks had made a series of gestures implying that he also wanted a suit.

"Oh no buddy sorry, we can't trouble him anymore." Sparks then enlarged his eyes and pleaded with Colton, "No buddy." Sparks eyes got wider, "Still no Sparks!" Sparks began to sniffle, "Oh no, don't you do this now!" Colton said as he knew what was coming. Colton cringed and finally caved in, "......Oh fine, just enough with the eyes!" Colton said as Sparks did a series of acrobatic tricks in the air.

Colton then turned to Cross-Stitch, "Uh Cross-Stitch, I was wondering if you ever made an outfit, say about..." Colton then grabbed Sparks and pinched him between his hooves, "...This big?"

One of Cross-Stitch's eyebrows raised into a perplexed look, "The size of... a...Sparrow...?" Cross-Stitch said, with rising confusion in his voice.

He looked at the small bird and held a hoof to his chin, lost in thought as usual. "I can't say that I have... But I also cannot say that it is an impossible task..." Cross-Stitch wandered off and grabbed his measuring tape. "Jusht... Hold him shtill..." Cross-Stitch went about making measurements and jotting them down on a small pad of paper. He muttered numbers under his breath, names of colors, and other things. After a few minutes, Cross-Stitch had an entire paper filled with small sketches, numbers, and names of fabric, as well as colors.

"That should be all." Cross-Stitch looked at the small sparrow again, "Aren't you just precious?" Cross-Stitch gave the small sparrow a pat on the head, "I promise I'll make you the most fabulous suit you could ask for."

Sparks did even more little acrobatic dances in the air to celebrate his happiness. He then flew into Colton's pocket and pulled out a bag of coins and placed it on the counter.

Usually Colton would be more cautious about giving up money but he was in an extremely good mood and grateful for Cross-Stitch's aid, "Good boy Sparks!" Colton said as he high fived his bird buddy. Colton had realised how quick Cross-Stitch had worked and was genuinely stunned, but he had not come to expect less up to this point.

"So Cross-Stitch, how did you get so good at this? If you don't mind me asking of course." Colton asked as he was genuinely interested in Cross-Stitch's abilities and where they stemmed from.

"Also, you said you always wanted to go to the gala, why didn't you go to somepony with your clothes, I'm more than sure that they would let you in on that merit alone." Colton said as he continually smiled.

Cross-Stitch looked to his fabric, and then to the sewing machine his mother got him when he was a foal. He then looked back to Colton, "Well, it started when I was a foal. My mother loved cross stitching, it's even where I got my name from. She taught me how to do it, and how to use a needle. I never really liked it though, it was... Boring, for lack of a better term. I kept to it though, mastering how to manipulate needle and thread. One day, my mother took me to a fashion show, I believe it was Hoity Toity's latest line, if I remember correctly. It was then that I discovered a taste for fashion, and all things fabric. My mastery of a needle allowed me to easily craft my own, smaller, accessories: Such as this scarf." Cross-Stitch raised his scarf with a hoof to show it to Colton, "Then, my mother bought me that sewing machine for Hearth's Warming Eve," Cross-Stitch gestured over to the machine that looked as good as new, "Ever since, I've been a designer. I've been at this all of my life, practically."

Cross-Stitch looked away from the machine, and his eyes went back to the floor, "As for the Gala: I've never had the nerve to show my clothing to any ponies who didn't ask first. It just seemed rude to me. Well, that is one part of the problem. The other part is, well, I don't believe they are good enough." Cross-Stitch's eyes rose to a select few suits he had set out, each clearly represented a season, they were his favorites, "I still have much work to do before I can even consider myself up to par with other designers."

Colton saw that Cross-Stitch was putting himself down, and he wouldn't have that going on so he immediately responded.

"If you don't mind me saying so Cross-Stitch, I don't believe that for a second." Colton said as he walked over to a slightly surprised Cross-Stitch, "You wanna know what I believe? I believe that you are by far, one of the most creative ponies I ever met on my travels." Colton stated as Sparks nodded in agreement.

"And also, you shouldn't worry about how other ponies view your craft, you can't hold yourself back on the possibility that somepony isn't going to like what you produce, trust me I've been. If you do then you can miss out on some amazing opportunities like this one." Colton stated as he admired the work that Cross-Stitch had done on his jacket. Sparks then perched himself on Cross-Stitch's head and proceeded to nod in agreement to everything Colton said.

Colton finished and then continued, "And if you don't believe me on that, take Sparks as an example, he picked out your store personally out of all the other ones and your clothes made him take an interest in fashion, which is completely out of character for him. And trust me, if their's one thing I've learned about him it's that he knows a good thing when he sees it." Colton stated as he took a deep breath, hoping that his kind words had made Cross-Stitch feel better about his abilities.

Cross-Stitch bit his lip again as he looked at his clothing once more. When he was lost in thought, he would always look to his clothing. He remembered what he had always learned as a foal, from his mother. Not how to sew, but a bigger and more important lesson she always taught him;

Smile.

Cross-Stitch's face turned softer, as a small grin appeared, he sighed and recomposed himself, "Right," Cross-Stitch trotted up to middle of his shop, with a much more superior posture, "You're absolutely right!" Cross-Stitch looked to the floor in though, "Perhaps what my clothign was really needng to push it over the edge was... Confidence!" Cross-Stitch spun in place with an excited face, "And I never would have found that without this shop! Nor would I have realized it if you hadn't visited! Thank you!" Cross-Stitch was practically trotting in circles in his shop.

"I was happy to help Cross-Stitch, and I'm sure Sparks was too." Colton stated as he high fived his little bird friend once again.

"Now that we got that out of the way, is there anyway me and Sparks could help with the suits, I may not be much help but I could man the counter while you work, and Sparks here could actually do something practical for once." Colton's enthusiasm was interrupted by Sparks slapping him around the ear with his little wing, "What? It's true and you know it." Colton said as he and Sparks shared a laugh together.

"And if you need help with anything or you just feel under confident again just let me know, as always me and Sparks are here too help." Colton said as Sparks and him took a well deserved bow.

Cross-Stitch began thinking for a minute. He had never thought about letting anypony else help around the shop, he also never even considered anypony would WANT to help.

"That would actually be lovely. If you could run the register, I could get these suits done by sometime tomorrow."

Cross-Stitch trotted over to and pick up his pad of paper, "I'll be upshtairsh if you need me. Oh, and Coloton, thanksh again." Cross-Stitch wore a wide smile,even with the pad of paper between his teeth. He gave Colton a wink and then trotted up the stairs to get to work.

(( This would be a great chance for some more people to jump in, eh? EHHH??