[Canterlot] The Perfect Fit [Open]

CrossStitch

Colton had never been asked this question before so he didn't really have a tale to tell, but he managed to piece together what he could of the faithful day when he got his cutie mark.

"Back when I lived in Manehatten my parents didn't like me flying at all. They were both earth ponies and even though they knew that they couldn't keep a pegasus grounded, that didn't stop them for trying." Colton said as he looked at the floor and exhaled, he composed his thoughts and continued.

"Well anyway, when we were moving away from Manehatten to Ponyville we got caught in a freak storm." Colton cringed as he remembered the awful night. "We go lost on the road and ended up in the middle of nowhere, my parents were freaking out and I was hiding under our cart that we brought our luggage on, I remember a small bit of rain hitting one of my wings, and that's when it hit me." Colton smiled slightly as he recalled the next part.

"I flew up higher than I had ever flown before and when I broke past the cloud barrier, it was the most beautiful thing I ever saw Flux. It was a clear sky, not a single cloud to falter the landscape, just me and the sun. I kept ducking in and out of the clouds to lead my parents to a nearby town and when we got there my dad pointed something out to me, my cutie mark." Colton stated as he pointed to the three suns that was his cutie mark.

"So, what was this other story then?" Colton asked with great anticipation

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flux could almost see the surroundings changing as Colton told his story. She wasn't always the best at imagining visuals, but Colton told the story in a way that made the events seem vivid and truly vibrant. When he finished, she began to tell her tale.

"Well, it was very soon after I'd first left Canterlot University and become Torvus' apprentice. I had little experience, so Torvus suggested that I start with something simple. I decided to expand upon the trails that had earned my cutie mark: colour changing by mixing certain materials and chemicals. I wondered whether, when combined with the natural chemicals of a living beings coat of fur, a different sort of reaction would occur. A mixing of the natural and synthetic, as it were." Flux let out a small, self-directed scoff, remembering the next part of her story with clarity.

"Unfortunately, I decided that my first test subject would be myself. Being inexperienced, you can probably imagine how well the results turned out. My coat ended but being half orange and half burnt. When Torvus had finished laughing, he enlisted the help of a pony who specialized in hair repairing spells to repair the damage." Flux laughed slightly, recalling how truly ridiculous she had appeared.

"I'm quite a bit more careful now. I generally procure samples before trying anything on a larger scale. As they say, experience is the most vivid of teachers," Flux remarked.

Colton chuckled slightly and then responded, "Well I can't argue with that philosophy I guess." Colton said as he smiled. He was surprised that Flux was being so open about her past with him, but then again he was being surprised all day today, and he had come to expect it.

"So Flux, I've been wondering, why did you accept my offer for the gala tickets?" Colton asked inquisitively ,"Not that I'm not glad that you accepted, I'm ecstatic it's just that I'm was a total stranger to you." Colton said as he stood up.

"It just perplexes me that's all." Colton then walked over to the window and pondered over the strange events that had unfolded in less than a single day.

"It was mostly intellectual curiosity, at first. I do not enjoy a gap in my knowledge, and as experimentation is an important part of understanding, going to the Gala seemed to be the best option." Flux pawed at the ground softly, choosing her next words carefully.

"However, I suppose that I wanted to go. I never had much reason to interact with others as a foal and therefore no reason to go to social events. Even recently, I had little motivation. But, meeting you and some other ponies recently reminded me why ponies travel in herds. We are social creatures and some part of me wishes to be a part of that." Flux blushed slightly, more than a little bit embarassed about what she had admitted.

"So, when you offered, I accepted. Perhaps I can prove my theory correct: everypony needs to have social connections, not matter how infrequently tended too. It's not as though I would have to sideline my enthusiasm for science by becoming more social, in fact, it is possible that the two may compliment one another. Everypony has different ideas and being around others is likely to open my mind to those possibilities," Flux stated, sounding more as though she was justifying her actions to her insistantly scientific mind than answering Colton.

Cross-Stitch leaned up from his sewing machine, placing his hooves on his back and giving a mighty stretch. A small pop was heard as the pain from being hunched over for a while was relieved from the poor colts back. The coat and shirt for Sparks were complete, and up to Cross-Stitch's standard of perfection. "It wasn't easy, Sparks..." Cross-Stitch went over the suit again and again with a small magnifying glass, inspecting its smaller details, "But I did it. I actually made a suit for a swallow! I'd like to see another tailor do that!" Cross-Stitch leaned back in his chair with a smug look, another small pop was heard coming from Cross-Stitch's back. The sudden jolt of pain made him jump slightly, "Ugh, it was not without difficulty though..." Cross-Stitch placed his hooves against his back and attempted to massage the pain away with soft circular motions. "Now all you need is a tie, maybe a hat? Do you even like hats?" Cross-Stitch looked to the sparrow, actually expecting a verbal response. When Cross-Stitch was met with a stare, he sighed and leaned back towards the table. "Then I'll need to get started on Colton's jacket, which should take me until tomorrow to finish... Then I need to make that dress. I'll need to study up on latest dress fashions..." Cross-Stitch leaned back in his chair once more, unable to sit still. He hung his head over the back of the chair and closed his eyes, trying to organize his next two days for optimal work time. He opened his eyes to only be greeted by the sight of the ceiling. His sight was a little blurry, he raised his hooves to his eyes and gently rubbed them to clear them. With a light shake of his head to re-organize his mane, he leaned back towards his table. "I wonder what the Gala will be like... I wonder if anypony will like my outfits..." Cross-Stitch closed his eyes and rested his head on the table, day-dreams of the Gala filled his head. "Right... I need to stay positive! I'm sure everypony will love my designs." Cross-Stitch raised his head from the table, as well as the rest of himself. He got to the floor and trotted over to a nearby fridge; wherein he found a green apple, his favorite treat. The blue pony happily bit into the apple as a wide grin spread across his face, and an audible "Mmm!" was heard. Cross-Stitch turned to notice Sparks still on the table, "Oh, of course..." Cross-Stitch said as he turned to a nearby counter, "How could I forget my biggest helper?" Cross-Stitch produced a knife from a nearby drawer, and easily split the apple down the middle. He then brought both halves to the table, and offered one to Sparks, "I don't exactly know what Sparrows eat, so forgive me if it's something you do not like." Cross-Stitch ate the rest of his apple in silence as he watched the streets of Canterlot hustle and bustle out of a window.

(( Oh yeah, I'm back. Got bored of not posting anything. ))

"Well I guess when you put it that way Flux, it makes perfect sense." Colton said as he proceeded to look at the floor, "Sorry if I offended you in anyway." Colton said in self pity.

He wanted to change the conversation to what he thought was a positive topic so he decided to enquire on Flux's university life, "What was life in Canterlot University like Flux?" Colton said as he sat back up.

"I hear a lot of good things about that place, my parents actually considered applying me for it but that didn't really pan out too well." Colton said as he cringed, he quickly composed himself again though, "So anyway, you got any good stories about the place, and since your under a tutorship now do you still have contact with your friends and teachers from the university?" Colton enquired with great anticipation once more.

Meanwhile upstairs Sparks was enjoying a nice apple with Cross-Stitch, he had first only ate the seeds but found that he rather liked the taste of apples and he scarfed it down his tiny gullet in seconds, he then stood and saluted with his wing, this was Sparks's way of saying that he's ready for more work.

"Not at all, no offense was taken or given," Flux said, quick to abolish any such notions that Colton carried.

"Canterlot University, ahh yes. It is quite an extraordinary place, wonderful architecture, centuries old knowledge, new innovations. It is indeed a grand place. The University was very versatile, ensuring the pursuit of knowledge but also allowing time for social pursuits. My time there was rather solitary, but I knew several ponies who were the 'life of the party'." Flux paused, considering something before continuing.

"Not that I minded. I much preferred to focus on my studies and leave social gatherings to other ponies. It was definately a productive time academically for me. I learned more in those couple years than I had learned in all my years before. The Great Library of Canterlot became somewhat of a second home for me. I actually considering working there, for a time," Flux mused.

"As for good stories, there are several. The time when a particularly zealous young practitioner of the magical arts managed to conjure a full-blown snowstorm in the middle of the spring. The teachers were still transporting penguins back to Northern Equestria in the fall. Penguins are particularly fond of hiding in cupboards for many weeks, apparently," Flux laughed, recalling the strange incident.

"Also, there was an interesting mishap with a giant ball of string and the western half of the astronomy tower. The cats in residence must have appreciated it, but Starstruck - the astronomy teacher at the time - did not enjoy finding pieces of yarn all throughout her classroom. A school of magic is very prone to strange occurances, I suppose."

"I had very few misadventures myself, aside from one night in the old section of the small campus library," Flux recalled. "It is quite a long story, so I do understand if you would rather skip it."

Colton couldn't help but giggle at these stories, he had found Flux's stories very compelling an interesting, and of course funny.

"Wow, sounds like an awesome place, I might have to visit whilst I'm here." Colton said as he imagined what strange events would happen if he ever saw the inside of the campus. Colton continued to listen with the greatest of interest, just imaging what the next tale would bring, and when Flux finished Colton responded to her last statement.

"I wouldn't mind Flux, I got plenty of time to spare, but could I share a story I've been dying to say then you could tell me yours?" Colton asked as he waited patiently for a response.

"I think that you would enjoy it. I could give you a little tour, if you manage to find the time. It is a very compelling place. Perhaps you will be able to catch a glimpse of some of the stranger events at the University," Flux commented.

Flux nodded at Colton's final question. "Of course. I can't do all the talking after all." Flux smiled, waiting with interest for Colton's story to unfold.

"A tour, seriously? That would be amazing Flux, thank you." Colton said as he smiled.

Colton responded to Flux's last statement and began to remember the story, he sat up again and began to recall the tale.

"One day me and Flux contacted by an outside contractor in Ponyville, this guy was a real nut let me tell you, all around his house were really odd decorations, some I couldn't even describe as something other than creepy. Anyway he had heard good things about me and Sparks so he hired us to collect a few things from the Everfree forest for him, he didn't specify why he needed them but he just gave us a list and sent us packing." Colton said as he cringed, and continued his story.

"Me and Sparks spent almost all day in that forest, getting scared half to death and risking our lives for this one weirdo, he had us get some pretty strange stuff, a manticore stinger, poison joke, living tree bark, I didn't even know these things existed." Colton commented as he shrugged his shoulders.

"When we finally got back though our employer was doing some pretty weird stuff, he had this really old damp basement and in there he was mixing some stuff together in a big pot, when I asked what he was doing he told us why he had hired us in the first place. Apparently this guy was some sort of alchemist, and he was in hot competition with this other alchemist who lived in the forest. He then told us that he was putting this mixture together to prove that he was better than her, and guess what poor sucker just gave him the means to do it." Colton smiled as he remembered the next part of the story.

"Sparks was furious, he took all the ingredients we got out of my bag and hovered them over the bubbling pot, the guy told him to put it down or the results could be, well, he used the term 'explosive' Too bad for him though that Sparks wasn't even listening to him, he dropped the bag into the pot and the entire thing exploded, me and Sparks barely got out of the house, but unfortunately, so did our employer. He sat infront of his house and saw that the whole thing had collapsed, he then told me that I wasn't gonna get paid, but I kinda expected that." Colton let out a small chuckle as he remembered the next part.

"But when me and Sparks left, Sparks pointed something out to me, our employer had a hole in his pocket and Sparks then spat out two bits into my hoof, it wasn't much but it was better than nothing I guessed, and thankfully we never saw that guy or his weird house again."

Colton realised how long his story was and he then turned to Flux, "Sorry if that was too long, I tend to ramble when I remember the past." Colton said as he chuckled.

"It's not a problem, I love listening to long stories," Flux said. "That particular employer sounds quite eccentric, though I can't help but wonder who this competing alchemist was."

"Anyway, that story I told you about earlier. It was the night before an important test in magical history class. I had tracked down an omnibus book to a small corner of the University library. After searching for a few minutes, I had located the book: The Historical Historian's Handbook for Historic Happenings. I happened to rest my weight against a slightly shaky stone as I leafed through the tome and I felt the stone move into the rest of the wall. Suddenly, I felt a strange lurch and next thing I knew, I had fallen through an entrance in the wall."

"It was extremely dark, but I managed to recall a quick spell that created a light source from my horn. With this limited light, I took a cursory check of my surroundings. I found myself in a small alcove that was adjacent to a narrow tunnel. Filled with curiosity, I started down the tunnel. It was linear, so luckily, I did not need to fret about becoming lost. The end of the tunnel contained a desk with several papers on it. There was also several ancient looking artifacts and a large text. Though the light was not very powerful, I could make out a small imprinting on the book. It was two alicorns, not dissimilar to those near the doors of Canterlot Castle."

"Deciding to look into it in the morning, I took the book and the papers with me and retraced my steps through the tunnel. I took the items back to my dorm room and proceeded to get a bit of rest after studying for the test. When I had awoken, the book and the papers had disappeared. I manage to recollect only one page, which was wedged between the door and the frame. I still have it, I believe." Flux searched through her bag, eventually producing an worn looking piece of parchment.

"The writing is quite faded, but parts of it remain legible," Flux said, splaying the document out so Colton could get a look at it.

Colton looked at the small piece of paper and tried to make it out, but all he could really make out were some eligible words and strange symbols.

"So it was just gone when you woke up, and a piece was wedged in your door?" Colton puzzled over this information and came to a conclusion. "If you ask me, I think somepony stole that." Colton said as he was sure of his answer.

"Do you have any idea where they went, or who they were who took it, I mean books don't get up and walk away right? I'm serious here can books actually be made to do that." Colton said trying to inject some humour into the situation.

"Hey Flux, if you ever do take me on that tour, I wanna see that tunnel, I just can't put my hoof on it but something tells me something's going on that we don't know about and I want to know about it." Colton said whilst he pondered all this new information

Flux nodded, in agreement with his conclusion. "Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue who could have taken it, especially since nopony seemed to have seen anypony leaving my room and I hadn't seened anypony around when I investigated the tunnel. It is quite a mystery, one that I would like to solve."

Flux chuckled at Colton's joke. "I suppose they could, but the point of such a spell escapes me. Not many ponies study booklore, anyhow, and I've never encountered such a charm before in regular studies of magic."

"I agree, it would probably be a good idea to have a second pair of eyes on the scene. Somepony may spot or thinking of something that you alone could not. In that case, I will certainly give you that tour before you leave on your travels again."

"Well we got plenty of time, I'll be here for a few months at least." Colton smiled as he looked forward to the next few months.

"Once I get those gala tickets, I'll get settled in and then we'll check it out." Colton stopped and thought about something, where was he gonna get settled in.

"Well this is embarrassing." Colton said ash e rubbed the back of his head, "Uh Flux, do you know anywhere I could actually stay for a while, it seems that in my rush to arrive in Canterlot, I forgot to book some form of housing." Colton said as he blushed at his slight slip-up.

"Well, I suppose there are very few options," Flux said, thinking about the possibilities as she paced back and forth. "The way I see it, there are only two options. The first is that you try one of Canterlot's hotel's and hope that they have an unbooked room. However, due to Canterlot's popularity with tourists almost constantly throughout the year, that may prove difficult."

"The other option is that you could stay at the clock tower with Torvus and I. There is a spare room for visitors; it's not particularly large or flashy, but it's yours if you want it."

Colton got startled by this and fell of his seat.

"Wait, what, you wouldn't actually mind me being there." Colton asked in a fast voice, "I mean..." Colton breathed in and composed himself, he stood up and responded.

"Thank you Flux, I feel honoured that you wouldn't mind me staying with you two. But what about your tutor, would he not find it odd that I was there, just a total stranger I mean." Colton had thoughts racing through his head, trying to fully grasp all of the significant events that had occurred this morning, he quickly turned his train of thought back to the conversation.

"Well, if you wouldn't mind Flux, I'd love for me and Sparks to stay with you guys, assuming that it's no problem." Colton said as he thought of how foolish he had reacted to this friendly invitation

"Torvus? He won't mind. Half of the time he's up in the higher levels of the tower, ensuring that everything is ruuning correctly, so it isn't as though you would be bothersome to him. Besides, he'd probably appreciate it. I'd finally be making some friends and he'll figure that your presence may keep the number of explosions that I cause to a minimum," Flux said with a laugh.

"In short, we'd love to have you," Flux smiled, thinking of all the progress that had occured in one day. Torvus had always been insistant that she branch out and meet new ponies. While bringing home a guest may not have been quite what he expected, Flux determined that he would almost certainly react favourably to the presence of another pony.

"Well that's...great, thanks." Colton said as he pondered what just happened. Like Flux he wasn't always as social as he should have been, always travelling so not having time to make actual friends, but he could see that this extended contract here in Canterlot would be a pleasant one.

"And about that explosion thing, I think you may be wrong about that, if you haven't noticed from my stories, me and Sparks usually end most of our adventures on slight 'volatile' terms." Colton said as he chuckled.

"Well this has been an strange morning if I do say so myself, to think, I just came in here to get a jacket repaired and now all of this has happened." Colton said with a smile , "I guess life can surprise you like that."

"Fair enough, I suppose you do tend to exit explosively," Flux said, smiling again. Flux felt a strange anticipation, true excitement that for once was not directed towards a new breakthrough in her studies or experiments. It was an odd occurrance for the unicorn, but she decided that it was definately a good new experience.

"Well, they do say that life is full of surprises," Flux echoed Colton's sentiments. Turning her head from Colton, she glanced in the direction of the upstairs level of The Perfect Fit.

"I wonder if Cross-Stitch is almost finished with our Gala attire," she pondered. Flux didn't want to rush the tailor, but merely expressed her curiousity, as she was prone to do without thinking much about that possible interpretations. Catching this, she ammended her statement. "Not that I wish to leave or the like, I just tend to question things instinctively. I like to know what is occuring around me."

Cross-Stitch descended the stairs after some time, as if on cue. His mane was a little frizzled and out of place, and his eyes seemed a little red, but other then that he looked fine. His glasses hung from his neck by their chain, and his scarf was back in place around his neck. "My apologies for keeping you three waiting so long." He said in a very cheery tone. He had a wide smile across his face as he finished descending the stairs. "Mr. Cloudkicker, your jacket is done, but I still need to work on the tie and shirt. Ms. Flux, I am sorry but I will have to ask you to wait until tomorrow to pick up your dress." Cross-Stitch straightened his mane with his hoof, "You see, I'm not exactly 'up to date' with the latest mare fashion. It's not quite my forte. But I assure you, I will craft you a marvelous dress!" Cross-Stitch now wore a worry free smile, hoping she would not be mad at the small delay. "I also finished one other thing..."

Sparks flew out from behind Cross-Stitch's head, sporting a wonderful suit. The jacket was a cyan color, that beautifully commented the sparrow's feathers. The collar was a black that offset the white shirt underneath the jacket perfectly. Dividing the sparrow's chest was a red silk tie that 'tied' the whole suit together. The jacket was sleeveless to allow Sparks to flap his wings, of course. "I must say, I really out did myself." Cross-Stitch put a hoof to his chin and nodded approvingly to his work. "Ah, and Ms. Flux, would you happen to know your measurements off the top of your head?" Cross-Stitch said as he turned back to Flux.

Colton was pleasantly surprised to see Cross-Stitch descend from downstairs carrying his jacket, but he was down right shocked when he saw Sparks appear in a suit. He had no words for a time, he just stared as his little friend flew around his face. Finally he spoke up.

"Well look at you all snazzed up Sparks, with the little tie and everything, you're not trying to impress any other birds with that get up are you, I know you have a thing for robins." Colton said as he chuckled whilst Sparks took his seat of honour on Colton's head.

He then turned his attention back to Cross-Stitch, "Thanks for the jacket Cross-Stitch, and if Sparks could thank you I'm sure he would." Colton said as he tapped his little bird friend on the head , "I hope he helped you out enough." Colton pointed out as he chuckled once more, as he still couldn't get over the fact that Sparks was in a suit, of all things.

"Oh and don't worry about the suit Cross-Stitch, take all the time you need." Colton said as he smiled once more.

"Indeed, I definately do not mind the wait at all," Flux assured Cross-Stitch. "The more time something is worked on, the better it will be, as my father used to say." She dug around in her bag for a moment, trying to find her notebook. With a small shout of triumph, Flux produced her tattered book. Flicking through it quickly, eyes darting from page to page, searching for a specific note. Stopping suddenly, the unicorn tore out a half section of the page, leviating it over toward Cross-Stitch. "These are the latest measurements I have," Flux explained. "I believe they should be more or less the same. It's a bit of an odd habit, measuring myself at the end of each month. It must be leftover from my foalhood."

Shaking herself out of reminiscing, Flux turned to Sparks, admiring Cross-Stitch's work. "This is quite remarkable. I have never seen such fine craftmanship for such a tiny outfit. I have the utmost confidence that if you can produce such results for a small item such as this, a larger scale production will be breathtaking." Flux, who was not one for fashion, was surprised to find such words so readily available to her. My mother must be rubbing off on me since that recent visit, she thought.

Cross-Stitch took the piece of paper and neatly folded it. He tucked it away in his scarf for later use. With a nod he said, "It is definitely not the worst of habits to have. Take me for example: I over criticize everything I create. It's an annoying habit, to say the least, but it does help me in creating garments, to an extent." He said, looking again to the outfit he created for Sparks.

Cross-Stitch hid a smile as he lowered his head, hoping his mane would cover his face. After he assumed that his smile had at least shrunk, he raised his head once more. "Oh, thank you very much. To be quite honest, I've never seen an outfit this small. As far as I know, it's never been done before." Cross-Stitch put a hoof to his chin in thought once more, "Again, as far as I know." He added, just to be sure he was not incorrect. "I can assure you both that your outfits will be breath taking, or my name isn't Cross-Stitch," He said with a wink, "And I can assure you, it is." Cross-Stitch laughed lightly to himself.

Colton smiled, content with everything around him, he responded to Cross-Stitch's last comment, "Thanks again Cross-Stitch, by the way, how much will all this add up to?" Colton asked, wanting to pay back Cross-Stitch for all his hard work.

He then turned his attention to Sparks, "So I trust you've been a good helper, boy." Colton said as he tapped Sparks on the head again, Sparks reassured him with a series of very fast nods , "Did you enjoy working on the suit?" Sparks continued nodding at a fast pace. "Well that's good." Colton exclaimed as he smiled at his bird friend.

"Oh right I almost forgot something Sparks." Colton pointed out, "We're gonna be staying with Flux for a while, okay?" Sparks hesitated at first but was quickly fond of the idea, he did little dances in the air to emphasise his excitement.

Colton turned around and sat down once again. He sent Sparks off to further assist Cross-Stitch.

Cross-Stitch softly shook his head back and forth, "No, no... That will not be necessary Colton. You three will be paying me back simply by modelling my outfits at the Gala." Cross-Stitch showed them both a sincere smile, "Honestly, I should be thanking you two." Cross-Stitch bowed his head deeply, "Thank you both, sincerely."