[Canterlot] The tour [PM TO JOIN]

Conor Colton

*Quick note, this a continuation of a of events that occurred in http://www.canterlot...rfect-fit-open/ Check it out :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colton Cloudkicker just left The Perfect Fit with his new friend Quantum Flux, who was going to show him his temporary residence in her and her tutor's tower.

They walked for a while until Colton broke the silence and started to make light conversation.

"Thanks again or letting me stay with you Flux, it's really appreciated." Colton said as he smiled lightly.

Colton looked all around as they walked, admiring the beautiful architecture that was Canterlot, never in all his travels had he never actually stopped to wonder at the amazing scenery and it was all finally sinking in, he smiled at his surroundings.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's certainly not a problem. I'm merely assisting a pony in need," Flux said playfully. It was the white unicorn's first proper break in quite a while and she was enjoying the slight nip that had entered the air, much preferring cool to warm. The changing of the seasons was always a quick affair in Canterlot, but to make the transition less jarring, the ponies allowed the seasons time to show signs of their departure.

She noticed Colton watching the constructs of Canterlot as they towered over head. "You know, several of these buildings, the Castle in particular, have been standing since the banishment of Nightmare Moon. For example, this bakery here has been in buisness since Equestrian year 1009. And-" Flux stopped herself. "I'm rambling again, I doubt that the history of architecture is particularly interesting to other ponies."

"No I don't mind, I'm always keen to find out about new places." Colton stated as he continued to look around. He admired the view until he remembered something that Flux had said.

"Wait, did you say 1009, wow, I'm surprised that these buildings are still standing, and they look so new as well." Colton said as he ran his hoof along some engravings on a nearby wall, whilst he admired the craftsmanship.

"It's strange, I've been here so many times and now I've only started to notice these things. Well I guess today hasn't been like any other day though." Colton stated as he recalled all the events of this morning, smiling as he did.

"They do, though the advantage of unicorn magic is the ability to make nearly flawless repairs to any structural damage caused by time or other cirumstances. The outside may be the same, but many of the supporting beams and such have been replaced for safety reasons." Flux said, mentally double-checking quickly after to ensure the accuracy of her words.

"I do agree. It has been quite a novel day," Flux agreed, nodding her head slightly. She checked her surroundings briefly and took a dusted, unpaved road to their immediate left. "We're beginning to reach a point where you can see the very top of the tower," Flux informed Colton. The area around the was filled with a park-like environment, with shrubery placed uniformly in rows and a few small trees who retained the last vesitges of their leaves. Flux didn't usually take the time to admire the city either, as she was either rushing around performing errands or working in the clock tower, but she had the time today and throughly enjoyed an interested audience for her odd facts and figures.

Colton stretched his neck up after Flux's last comment, not even bothering to continue to observe the scenery.

"You're right, I think I can see it." Colton said as he strained his neck, he then looked down and admired the scenery, he recalled that Flux said something regarding 'unicorn magic' and decided to keep the conversation going with that.

"I'm still amazed at how unicorns can do that, although you probably know more than I do on the subject, with your advanced studies and all." Colton stated as he smiled once more. All this talk about magic had made a memory pop up in Colton's head, one that he had to share.

"Remember when I told you about that pony who talked through morse code? Well I actually got talking to a Professor in that exact same room, he had been trying to adapt magic in a way that could benefit earth ponies and pegasus ponies, he tried to test it out a wand of some sorts, but when he tested it out, he made a massive canyon outside Ponyville." Colton stopped waling to finish, "Thankfully nopony was hurt, well except the professor, but he's perfectly fine now." Colton remembered something that might interest Flux.

"Oh, and when I left Ponyville, I did some personal research and found some notes on the subject of non-unicorns trying to use magic, it's all right here." Colton said as he took out his journal and turned it to the appropriate page, "Have a look, I'm sure you'll find something in there, I mean I could never figure it out, I just the research on a hunch I guess." Colton said as he shrugged his shoulders and handed Flux his journal.

When Colton mentioned this professor and produced his journal, Flux's mind flipped into analysis mode, automatically pulling out her notebook to write down as much of the reseacrh page as she could. Managing to avoid any obstacles in the road, Flux spoke as she copied down the inked words. "Ah yes, this reminds me of the Universal Magical theory. Many have theorized that pegasi's ability to walk on the clouds is a form of magic, generally evidenced by unicorn replication of the same ability. Some have even said that the earth pony affinity for growing and nature ventures into the territory of magic. Unicorns are just able to focus their magical powers and possibly have more magical development for that reason. Therefore, given the right tools and practice, it is possible that earth ponies and pegasi could use magic in a similar way."

Flux went silent again as she continued to write. Narrowly avoiding an inconveniently placed stick, Flux jotted down the last few words of the research paper. "Thank you Colton, this may be just the thing to help me in furthering my own research. That professor sounds like an interesting fellow, perhaps I may meet him one day."

Colton walked with Flux as she explained this theory to Colton, he listened to every word with great attention, he had become accustomed to Flux's detailed answers to almost everything and part of him even enjoyed listening to them.

"You know if you want Flux, you could borrow the journal for a while. I mean I'm not going anywhere soon and I'm sure it would be in safe hooves." Colton said whilst smiling, he had gotten so caught up in the conversation that he failed to notice a wall infront of him, although Flux stopped Colton conked his head on the wall, he stumbled and nearly fell.

"Well, that was embarrassing." Colton said as he brushed himself off, trying to hide his own blushing at his blunder, he looked up and saw a tower stretched up above him, he turned to Flux and said, "So, I assume this is it." Colton said with his predictable sarcastic tone.

"If I could hold onto it for a while, it would be greatly appreciated," Flux responded. Tucking away the journal for further study, Flux managed to stop just short of the looming sidewall of the clock tower. Colton, unfortunately, did not.

"Yes, indeed," Flux replied, briefly ensuring that Colton hadn't managed to hurt himself in any tangible way. The tower stretch upwards and seemed to touch the heavens. On such an angle, the clock tower looked much more impressive than it truly was. Several species of creeping vine and ivy snaked their way up the sides of the old building, a few tendrils managing to form tiny cracks in the wall. The tower itself was made of brick that had a slight yellow tinge to it, most likely from age rather than a stylistic choice. The sound of moving mechanical pieces could be heard from inside and a ding-dong sound rang out from the top.

Flux paused, counting the chimes of the great clock carefully. "3 PM," she determined, speaking softly, but still in a tone that made her words audible to Colton. "Torvus should be taking a break now, so you'll get to meet him. He's not the greatest at first impressions, so don't judge him all on that." Flux nudged open the wooden door, stepping back curteously to allow Colton room to enter.

Colton composed himself as Flux stared up the clock tower, he braced himself as Flux opened the door, not knowing what would be inside, but he still kept his manners in check and thanked Flux for being so kind.

"Thanks Flux, and don't worry about me judging the guy, besides from what you've told me he seems like a pretty alright guy, and trust me I won't judge, I promise." Colton said as he looked up from the inside of the clock tower, and he saw that the place was very well kept indeed.

He smiled as he approached a staircase, eager to meet Torvus, he nearly took the first step but turned sharply towards Flux and gestured with his hoof, "Uh, ladies first." Colton said in a mannerly tone for two reasons, one he wanted to keep his manners in check, and two, he thought that if he went up first that that would be a rather 'odd' way for him and Torvus to meet.

Flux nodded and trotted up the stairs two at a time. She could distinctly hear the sound of a grumbling earth pony from a hammock that was tied between one of the walls and a line of complex clock mechanics. She could just barely see a spattering of brown mane and tail from her position. "Confounded old gears! Half the time ya work jus' fine, but when ah need ya, you go all kaput on me!"

"Torvus! I have returned. Your work clothes have been repaired," Flux announced, levitating the garments that Colton had repaired out of her bag and up toward his position.

"Well, thank Celestia for tha'! I feel positively-woah! Now who's this colt with ya?" Torvus had turned in his hammock to face his apprentice, noticing Colton's presence halfway through his original statement. He scrutinized the blue-maned pegasus, looking him over twice before surmizing. "He ain't some kinda coltfriend, I suppose. Ya ain't the type fo' that, Flux."

Flux ignored Torvus' second statement, saying, "This is Colton. We met at The Perfect Fit, where I got those mended. He was the one who stitched them for me. He's a travelling pony who has taken an extended contract in Canterlot. He needed a place to stay and therefore, I suggested he stay with us." Flux stopped at that, deciding that Colton should probably say something as well.

Colton gulped due to nervousness and casually but nervously, approached Torvus.

"Uh, pleasure to meet you sir." Colton said as he held out an unsure hoof just praying that he would get a positive response, "I'm Colton, Colton Cloudkicker, pleasure to meet you." Colton said as he realised he had just repeat himself. He wanted to change the subject to avoid sounding like a fool.

"I guess Miss Flux here pretty much told you all there is to hear." Colton thought why he just said 'Miss' Flux, when they were past that ages ago, he assumed that he was just trying to sound formal and polite, but at this moment Colton felt like a complete idiot.

"I hope you don't mind that I'm staying here Sir, I promise I won't be any trouble." Colton said as he felt slightly more confident, "It'll be a pleasure living here I'm sure." Colton stated as he finally calmed down.

Torvus lowered his hammock with a simple pulley system, lowering himself toward the ground. Touching his hooves to the ground, the brown coloured old earth pony took Colton's hoof, shaking it vigorously. "Thank Celestia! I thought this wo' ne'er happen. Flux finally decided to make some friends, huh? Well, Mr. Cloudkicker, we'll be happy to have ya. We could always use an extra hoof around here and you may be a good influence on this here egghead." Torvus motioned toward Flux with his last statement.

Flux merely rolled her eyes. "Torvus, there's nothing wrong with being dedicated to one's work."

"Of course not! But havin' friends is important too," the earth pony responded. Looking between the two younger ponies, he continued. "I ain't gonna keep ya too much longer, I know ya young ponyfolk are probably busy with somethin' or other. Flux, ya should give 'im the tour!"

Colton was surprised by the sudden vigorous shaking of his hoof, he had always had trouble with introductions but he was glad to see that this one was going well

Colton breathed a sigh of relief that Torvus was accepting of him being there he responded to Torvus's statement, "Well thank you Sir, I'll be sure to help out in anyway I can." Colton said with an eager smile, he decide to not tell Torvus of his past adventures since they all had a rather 'explosive' ending and he didn't want to damper his first impression.

He turned his attention to Flux after Torvus suggested the tour, "I wouldn't mind that at all, that is if you're up to it Flux." Colton said politely as he walked over to Flux and whispered.

"This is going surprisingly great." Colton said with a smile, "I thought I looked like a total idiot back there, which I probably did." Colton said as he lowered his head and chuckled.

"Maybe so, but Torvus usually takes everything in stride. He's pretty laidback, which makes him rather easy to get along with." Flux answered in a similarly quiet tone. "I'd be happy to take you on the tour, Colton. Just follow me." After a quick nod to Torvus, the unicorn trotted out of the bell tower and returned down the stairs. As she descended, Flux explained some of the tower's history. "This clock tower, formerly the Canterlot Clock Tower, was built by Torvus' great-great-great-great grandfather many years ago. In the 1500th Equestrian year, if I recall correctly. His family has maintained the tower ever since, even though the bustling city that Canterlot is now does not really require such a tower. It is more of a monument now; a testament to the history of Canterlot."

Flux finished her story, just as the two arrived on the main floor. "This is the foyer, not much to say about it, but it does lead to all the rooms in this place. If you're ever lost, I would suggest trying to make your way here." Taking the passage to her right, Flux led Colton into a spacious kitchen and dining room area. It wasn't very highly decorated, but a few candles were lit in the corner of the room. "The kitchen and dining room. Once again, it's all basically self-explanitory. There is a cold cellar down to the left there, but it isn't used much." Trotting back to the foyer, Flux took and downward left turn, going deeper into the tower.

There were three doors in the adjacent hall. One seemed to have a flight of stairs leading down again and the other two were on level with the rest of the hall. "These are the sleeping quarters. Torvus' is in the centre, the guest room - yours - is on the left, and the door down to my basement dwelling is to the right." Flux hesitated briefly, deciding to consult Colton for her next action. "Do you want to see my laboratory area? It's not usually something I'd show guests, but you'll be staying here a while..."

Colton followed Flux and listened with great attention as she told him about the tower and it's history, he found himself becoming more fascinated the more Flux spoke about it.

As they passed through each room Colton admired at the modest and also comfortable feel of the tower. When they reached the living quarters Colton looked into his new room, he was very pleased with the accommodation, it wasn't five star material but it was just right for Colton.

When Flux asked Colton if he wanted to see the lab he simply responded with, "Sure, I'd love to see it, just don't hold me to account if Sparks flies in and blows something up." Colton said as he chuckled.

Flux nodded, slightly apprehensive about unveiling her laboratory. She pushed open the door slowly, but took the steps two at a time. Reaching the bottom before Colton, she quickly let Tesla down from his spot atop her head. With a small shake of his fur, the ferret ran off through his tunnel to the outside, no doubt going off in search of food of some kind. Turning back to Colton, Flux began to speak. "I do apologize at the state it's in at the moment. I pride myself on organization, but when I get absorbed in my work things get...hectic."

Then, Flux surveyed the room, trying to ensure that it wasn't going to explode if Colton took a look around it (though his explosive tendancies were left to his discretion). Papers and diagrams were pinned to the walls and scattered across a wooden desk in the corner, several depicting the anatomies of different creatures. Her experimental equipment lay atop a counter-top that was opposite the desk. She noticed that she had left several chemical flasks out and quickly levitated them to their correct shelves. The shelves were a lone sanctuary in the ocean of chaos, with bottled chemicals being labelled by properties and set in perfect lines. Flux also stowed away her glass implements, not wanting to break one accidentally. Her actual room was in a tiny corner, consisting of merely a bed and a calender.

"Don't mind me, just clearing some supplies. Feel free to take a look around, but be careful near the shelves," Flux cautioned, starting to stack her papers by subject and ordering those stacks by priority.

"Don't worry about the mess Flux, I've seen far worse trust me." Colton said as he tried to reassure his friend, "Besides, nothing wrong with getting absorbed into something you love, even if it does mean a little mess." Colton stated as he smiled and began to look around the room.

He got what he expected, strange vials filled with strange liquids, graphs and diagrams on the walls, what he had come to expect at this point, but a particular item got his attention.

On the top of a cupboard Colton spotted what looked like a bottle with a rainbow coloured liquid inside. He flew up to investigate and found that it was labelled 'Pure 100% Rainbow essence' Colton found the substance nostalgic as it took him back to when he lived in Cloudsdale and worked in the weather factories. In this nostalgia filled haze Colton failed to realized something, the bottle was slipping from his hooves.

It fell towards the floor but Colton zoomed down and managed to catch it in time, fumbling as he did, he then turned to Flux to dispel any fears, "It's okay, I got it, it's all good." Colton said as he panted.

Colton had failed to notice something though, on the way down he must have nudged something, as the entire cupboard fell on him just a few moments after he landed.

Flux turned at the sound of an immense crash. Assessing the scene rapidly, she watched in shock for a moment. The majority of the chemical vials had shattered, though a few remained intact. Colton had disappeared under a metaphorical mountain of shelf, glass, and chemicals. Shaking off her shock-induced paralysis, Flux summoned up her magical powers.

Acting quickly and on pure instinct, Flux separated the spilled chemicals as well as she could. A mixing of some of the more unstable concoctions could result in a much larger problem than the one that currently faced her. Summoning a few buckets, she poured the floating chemicals into them. To save some time, she decided that mixing a few would not be too problematic and created as many relatively safe mixtures as possible.

Then, she focused intently on the shelf, willing it to revert to an upright position. Closing her eyes in concentration, Flux heard a scraping sound, indicating the success of her spell. Moving the glass carefully from the areas around where Colton lay, she quickly trotted over to him. "Are you alright?" she questioned with concern, gingerly moving several more pieces of glass from Colton's form.

Colton opened his eyes and found Flux looking over him, he responded to her concern, "I....think so." Colton said as he lifted his head up.He looked around and saw broken glass and buckets full of chemicals, he looked over the mess he had made with great shame. This is exactly what Colton was trying to avoid, looking like a fool. He sat up, grunting in pain as he did to further observe the disaster he had made.

Colton felt awful about what he had done, he imagined how long it had took for Flux to organise and even gather all this information and knowledge and in almost an instant, Colton had ruined it. He kept his head down in shame and spoke a few words, "I'm sorry Flux, I was such an idiot." Colton said before he grunted in pain once again. He stood up and tried to look for something he could fix, but Flux looked like she had everything under control.

He walked towards a wall with his head hanging low and his wings dragging across the ground. He put his beaten back up against the wall and slid down, he looked up one more time at the mess and hung his head in shame once more as he held his side due to pain, "I'm really sorry Flux, I shouldn't have touched anything, I should have known this would have happened, it always does." Colton said in self-pity, which he wasn't even sure if he deserved.

Flux followed the distraught pony, trying to find the correct words to assuage his sadness. She was rather disappointed at the potential loss of some of her rarer chemicals, but the unicorn felt a strange, unexplainable calm about the situation. Flux wondered whether this was an unusual phenomenon, but she was not accustomed to soul-searching and therefore has no idea how to analyse such a feeliing.

She noticed his groan of pain, confirming her suspicions that the accident had indeed caused some harm to the pegasus. However, she couldn't really gauge the damage from her current position. She stepped quietly toward him, sliding down the wall herself, observing the mess as she spoke.

"Colton, it's quite alright. I'm not upset with you at all. I was merely an accident, something that could have happened to anypony." Flux really didn't know what else to say and thus lapsed into silence. After a few more minutes, she continued. "Some of those lost chemicals were rather rare, but all material things are replaceable. I was much more concerned about you than any chemical." Flux remembered her mother saying something similar when she - as a young foal - had managed to knock over her best telescope. She wondered briefly if this was how friends felt when the other had accidentally harmed something of theirs.

Deciding now was not the best time for speculation, she addressed Colton once more. "Now, I should probably get a proper look at you. Glass can be quite a damaging material."

Colton was touched by Flux's kind words, throw all his sadness and self-pity he managed to smile about the whole situation. He still kept his head down, but mostly to hide his blushing at this point than anything else.

He stood up, holding his side as he did, trying to keep his balance until he was confident enough to have all four hooves on the ground again, he didn't say anything in response to Flux's kind words, as he couldn't find words of his own that carried such weight.

He merely pointed to a few small lacerations on his back and his torso, each with a small bit of glass in them. He swallowed his nerves and finally spoke though, "I think there's a few cuts on my wings too, and I feel something in the back of my neck, it's definitely not glass, I think I might have sprained or broke something." Colton said as he cringed at the possibility of a serious injury, but at least he could stand upright at this point.

Flux nodded as Colton described his physical state. She analyzed each possibiliy, deciding on possible spells to mend each injury. For once, Flux was thankful for her father's rather lengthy lectures on medicinal magic that he had given her as a foal. He had always hoped that she would become a doctor in her adulthood and therefore tried to prepare her as best as she could. Though that wasn't the path that Flux had chosen, she was still competent at such spells, deviating from her aptitude for other spells.

Calling forth her innate magic, Flux set to work carefully removing the bits of glass and knitting the lacerations they created back together. It was slow work, but Flux concentrated as hard as she possibly could - pushing her magic as far as she could - to ensure that each wound was healed correctly. She then cleared up the injuries to Colton's wings, noting that no important tendons or muscles necessary in flight had been damaged. "Well, you can still fly, though I suggest that you don't do anything too strenuous with them for a while."

She examined Colton's neck, finding that he was correct in his assumption. He had managed to brake some bone in his neck, most likely something that connected his spine to the neck bones, causing it to jut out behind him. Grimacing at the wound, she contemplated her next action. Flux had never done something like this before and a mistake could result in quite a problem for Colton in the future. "It seems you're right, there is something broken here. Luckily, it is not dislocated too much and you can still stand, meaning it isn't as serious as it could have been." She used her magic to light a candle near where the two stood to increase visability. "I can re-set it for now, which should allow you much less pain in your movement, though I suggest that we take you to a professional afterwards to ensure that it heals correctly."

Falling silent, the unicorn began her work. It was a very delicate operation; the slightest of errors could make the situation much worse. Flux moved the bone slowly towards it's original position, trying to be as gentle as possible. When she had the two fragments parallel with each other, she lined them up as well as she could and started to make a brace to hold them in place. Flux curved a piece of wood with her magic and formed it to the correct shape for a brace. With a few short spells, she attached the makeshift brace to Colton's injury, keeping the bone tighly in place against the rest of the skeleton. "Can you walk?" she asked, trying to see if the temporary brace had done the trick in the short term.

Colton stood and fought through the pain, as each individual shard of glass was removed he grinded his teeth to try and take his mind off of it.

He was relived that his wings were not so badly damaged as he had thought, although he was still dissapointed that he had to take it easy for flying at least.

He cringed when Flux said that there was indeed a broken bone, but Colton was happy that he was still standing at least. He stayed silent as Flux jutted the bone back into place, he felt immense pain but he had had broken limbs before so he knew how to deal with it, he just never got used to it.

After the brace was applied Colton tried to take a few steps and found his strides to be successful, he was feeling pretty good about himself, until he looked down that is. He looked into a shard of broken glass and saw his battered face and his braced neck staring back at him, he sighed and then spoke, "Look at me, I look like a complete idiot, I've only been here for less than an hour, and already, I've ruined your lab, and my own neck." Colton said in self pity, "And already I have to go to a doctors, this is like a new record for me in just how much of an idiot I can manage to be."

He sulked for a moment and grunted in pain as he lifted his neck back up, at this point however Colton reached into his bag and pulled out a small necklace with a locket on it, the locket had been from his birth parents and inscribed on the side was 'Every Cloud has a sliver lining' A teaching that Colton wouldn't forget.

He clutched the locket, sighed, and continued on, "Well, no ponies perfect I guess." Colton to himself said as he smiled in self assurance, the saying from the locket had always made Colton feel better about any situation, and today was no exception.

"Indeed, it's good to observe a boost in your emotional state," Flux said. Pausing a moment, she reiterated, "I mean - good to know you're feeling better." Much more satified with the relative normality of her words, Flux continued to advise Colton. "As I said, a lookover for a professional is necessary, but I do suggest that you rest for a while before leaving. It is quite the trek to the Canterlot Medicinal Centre and the more energy you have, the better."

Looking around quickly, she remembered the spare bed that was stored down in the basement. Dashing off, Flux searched through the closetted area for the item, tossing aside several strange apparatuses. No, no, no, definately not, how on Equestria did that end up in there? "Aha!" Flux proclaimed in triumph.

She returned to the centre of the room, a relatively new looking mattress floating behind her. "You can rest here, I'll do some repair and cleaning around my laboratory." She motioned to the room as a whole as she spoke. Setting down the mattress and attaching a wooden frame to it, she set down the bed as close to Colton as she could. Then, she quietly trotted off to see what chemicals she could salvage by separating the mixtures.

Colton was surprised by the normality in Flux's words, it was something he hadn't seen yet. However he was more surprised when she floated a mattress up to him and made a make shift bed right in front of him, sufficed to say, Colton was impressed.

He lay himself down on the surprisingly soft mattress as Flux went to take care of some things. This had given Colton a chance to think, he fiddled with the locket, constantly opening and closing it, letting him see the pictures of his birth parents and then obscuring it at regular intervals.

He though about all the events that proceeded to this moment, the race with Sparks, the walk through the market, Cross-Stitch, Flux, Torvus, the wardrobe, and now this. He was astonished, both by the fact that he had experienced so much good fortune in one day, and the fact that the day was far from over.

He rustled about on the bed, trying to get comfy when he heard a little chirp from his left. He turned and saw Sparks at the bottom of the stairs, the bird sprung up and took his rightful place on Colton's head although Colton quickly brushed him off, "Hey buddy, what you doing here? Did you finish up with Cross-Stitch?" Colton asked as his little sparrow nodded, "You sure, you know you don't leave a job half finished right?" Colton said as Sparks once again nodded vigorously. "Good boy." Colton said lazily as he turned over on the bed.

Sparks sat on Colton's make shift cast, which made Colton jump slightly, "Ouch buddy, watch it." Colton stated as Sparks hovered with a slightly amused face, Colton wasn't amused at all, "Very funny, huh? If you were there I promise, that wardrobe would have made you into airborne road kill." Colton said as sat back up and gave Sparks a playful pat on the head.