[Canterlot] The tour [PM TO JOIN]

Conor Colton

Colton listened well to Gladwin's explanation to Flux, one phrase in particular sparked his interest Always smile.....Colton thought as a niggling assumption in the back of his mind, telling him that he had heard that saying before, and recently.....Ah nevermind, I'll remember it later. He thought as he tapped his chin.

Colton raised his hoof from it's nervous position to find that everyone had agreed to his idea, he was almost jumping with joy but sadly his injury, once again, wouldn't allow that. "Well this is great." Colton said as he presented Flux and Gladwin with a warm smile, "You guys are gonna love it there trust me, every time I come to Canterlot I always stop there it's really beautiful...." Colton said as he almost got lost in a thought of nostalgia, "Uh, but anyway. Don't worry about me Flux I'm sure I'll be fine by then." Colton stated confidently," After all your dad is treating me, I'm sure I'll be just fine."

Colton reacted to Flux talking about the passage they had mentioned earlier, "Oh yeah, the passage, I almost forgot." Colton said as he remembered all the strange events associated with said passage that Flux had told him about. "Oh and trust me Flux, you're gonna love flying." Colton stated with a warm smile.

Colton then turned to Gladwin who seemed to be rather eager to the idea of seeing the top of the castle, so much so that his eager shout almost alarmed everypony in the room, this didn't bother Colton as these ponies were strangers anyway, "You think you'll be alright for that tommorow Gladwin, I don't want you hurting yourself just for a good view." Colton said with great concern.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gladwin looked surprised in response to the comment of Flux's father. "Wait a second, don't tell me, you're the doc's daughter?" Gladwin said, pointing a single claw at Flux.

But before Gladwin's thought train could continue any further, another comment derailed it. "A secret passage...?" Gladwin said, his curiosity showing. The word 'Secret' made Gladwin want to find out everything about what was so secret. It must be the adventurer in him, kicking and screaming to investigate and explore everything. Gladwin's eyes were practically colored with excitement. I may have had bad-luck getting here, but I sure do have good luck running into the best ponies! Gladwin thought to himself, with a wide smile.

Another comment brought him out of his inward thinking though. He looked to Colton at the response of his name, "Huh? Oh, yeah, yeah, sure. I'll be fine! Something this small isn't going to keep me down for long!" Gladwin said with a brave face as he raised his injured talon. "Hehe-Ow." He said, as a sharp jolt of pain went through the injured limb. He gripped his injured talon with his healthy one to stop the pain. With a blush, he gave a nervous laugh.

"I am," Flux admitted, unconsciously making a small nervous gesture. She wasn't used to being asked about her parents and was therefore unprepared for such interest. "It does feel rather odd, coming in here with some injuries and having them treated by my father." Though, she added mentally, it has been quite some time since the occurrance of such a thing.

Seeing the interest she piqued in Gladwin with her mention of the secret passageway, she decided to fill the griffin in on the situation. "Several years ago, when I was studying at the Canterlot University, I stumbled upon a small passageway between two bookcases. I had been searching for an important text to make use of in an upcoming magical history test, The Historical Historian's Handbook for Historic Happenings by name. I happened to stumble into the wall and reveal an old passageway. When I inspected it, I discovered several old books and notes pertaining to their contents. I brought them out of the passage, hoping to learn more later. However, they disappeared quite mysteriously the next day." Once she finished the abridged version of her tale, she returned her attention to Colton's concern.

"I'm certain that you'll both be in tip-top shape by tomorrow. Not that I like to brag, by my father is not called one of the best doctors in Equestria without cause." Again, the unicorn looked a bit embarassed as she spoke of her parents.

"Don't worry about it Flux, if we just explain the entire situation to your dad I'm sure it won't feel as odd as you say it is." Colton sad as he shyly rubbed his head once again, I hope anyway. He thought to himself, still going over how all these strange turns of events had led him to this moment.

Colton bit his lip when Flux began to explain the secret passage to Gladwin, he wasn't sure if he should know but Flux seemed to find Gladwin trust worthy, and to be honest that was good enough for Colton. He mentally kicked himself for not having told Gladwin sooner.

Colton chuckled slightly at Flux's apparent embarrassment, he saw that Flux talking about her parents made her nervous and Colton actually thought that was rather cute. Colton didn't really have anything to add on the subject of parents as it was a rather touchy subject for him, he did manage to place a remark though, "Well your lucky Flux, I don't even know what my parents were." Colton said as he shrugged off the thought of his parents, stating it as 'not important....anymore at least'

​ Disappeared...? Gladwin asked himself mentally. That was very strange, very strange indeed. "That passage sounds interesting, I'd love to see it! Perhaps there are some old maps there." Gladwin imagined what maps from a long time ago would even look like. He wondered if they would look anything like his. The more he pondered, the more the idea of investigating appealed to him.

(( Short post. I apologize. :| ))

"Perhaps," Flux answered with griffin's comment with a ponderous tone. "I didn't explore it very closely that first time, so it's possible that there are many more secrets in that strange passageway. What I've wondered is who liberated those documents from me."

Colton's words brought her out of her inquisitive state. Her ears drooped slightly as she realized how her rather flip attitude toward her parents would have seemed. Flux could not imagine what it would be like to grow up without knowing who or even where your birth parents were. There you go again, a sharper part of her mind insisted. You are never this affected by ponies, what has gotten into you? She pawed at the ground slightly, trying to come up with any words to say into the growing silence.

Luckily, the arrival of a grey unicorn in a glaringly white doctor's coat prevented Flux from needing to think of an appropriate response. "Why hello there, Flux! It's been quite a while." The stallion smiled widely as he spoke. Before Flux could answer, the unicorn noticed Gladwin and Colton. "Oh, I suppose you two are the patients then. Welcome to Canterlot Medical Centre, I'm Dr. Scalpel Flux." He held out his hoof politely toward the two flying creatures. "To be honest Flux, of all the things, I never expected to have you bringing in a pegasus and a griffin to be treated."

Colton had realised now that Gladwin was as trust worth as anyone else he had met and deserved to know, Colton revelled at the idea of possible other hidden passages, he always did have a taste for adventure. Colton saw thought that Flux seemed, for lack of a better phrase 'lost in thought' she seemed worried about something, probably regarding Colton's earlier comment about his parents. He thought of something to say as he couldn't stand the fact of his actions worrying Flux in some way.

But as he was about to speak he was interrupted by Flux's father entering the scene, he didn't dare say anything during the introductions less he make the situation more odd than it already was. He was surprised by Flux's father reaching out to shake Colton's hoof, he almost right away took him up on the offer, "Pleasure to meet you Dr.Flux, I'm nervous, I uh I mean Colton Cloudkicker!.....Sir" Colton said as he desperately thought of what to say next as to not sound more strange, "Actually it was my fault for this Sir." Colton said as he lifted his wing slightly, "Your daughter was just kind enough to bring me here." Colton said as he choose his words carefully, mentally kicking himself for his earlier slip up.

Gladwin nodded, "Yeah, that is a good question... And why...?" The griffin spoke in an oddly serious tone.

A sudden voice, unfamiliar to Gladwin, derailed his train of thought, causing him to seek the source of the mysterious voice. As he looked up, he noticed the presence of a new pony. He introduced himself as 'Scalpel Flux.' The smile the unicorn wore put Gladwin at ease within seconds. Gladwin wasn't a big fan of hospitals, or doctors, but this one seemed nice enough. Gladwin wore a weak smile as well, trying to seem as 'at-ease' as he could. "Hey doc! The name's Gladwin." Gladwin compared his greeting to Colton's in his head, only to discover his greeting was a lot less appropriate. I guess there are still some things I need to learn about Canterlot... Gladwin thought. Gladwin out stretched his talon and shook the doctors hoof delicately, trying not to poke or cut the unicorn. "Actually doc, I'm here from Talonpolis. These two just had to misfortune to run into me." Gladwin said with a laugh. If he could just lighten the mood around here, he'd feel much better.

Flux stepped aside, allowing her father to give both Colton and Gladwin a quick preliminary examination.

Dr. Scalpel trotted toward Colton first, he being the closest to the medical unicorn. He shook the pegasus' hoof with enthusiasm, listening with a smile to his introduction. "Pleasure to meet you, Colton. Though, as usual, I do wish it had been under better circumstances. I'd love to hear how you two met, but I should probably get a look at whatever that brace is keeping in place." The doctor trotted behind Colton, untying the splint quickly with his magic to get a look at Colton's injury. "Oh my, this is quite serious indeed," the stallion's voice became grave for a moment, before quicking up a more reassuring tone. "However, Flux seems to have done well in keeping it still. We'll definately be able to fix you up."

Then, he turned to the Gladwin. Carefully taking the griffin's talon, he looked intently at the injury. "And a pleasure to meet you as well, Gladwin. It's refreshing to see an more relaxed non-pony around these parts. Canterlot can seem a bit stuffy at times," he chuckled as he spoke. After a few more moments of inspection, he released the talon. "I'm not exactly a griffin aficionado, but I'm certain that I can fix you up as well." Then, the stallion turned to face his daughter. "Flux, do could you tell Nurse Penyton that I'll take both patients, please?"

Flux nodded and trotted over to the red pegasus at the desk once again. Dr. Scalpel continued, "Okay, this way please, lads," he gestured to a pair of glass doors behind the main counter.

Colton breathed a sigh of relief as Flux's father released his hoof, he was glad that he wasn't held accountable for his past slip up in his introduction, Okay this is going fine so far He thought. He clinched his teeth slightly when the doctor removed the brace, but he quickly settled as he got used to the feeling at this point. His ears dropped slightly when the doctor said it was serious, he was quickly reassured but that didn't seem to encourage Colton as much as the doctor would have hoped, Why did I have to jinx myself he thought once again

After the doctor directed the three towards the glass doors Colton looked at Gladwin with an unsure face, Colton didn't have good experience with hospitals and when he ever was injured it was never this serious. Regardless however he turned and saw Flux at the front desk awaiting the two, he looked forward, put on a brave face and proceeded to follow Flux's father Just relax Colton, don't want to look bad he said in his aching head.

As he entered through the glass doors a strange feeling went down Colton's spine, and this time it wasn't because of his injury Oh my Celestia, what have I gotten myself into?. Regardless he looked at Flux and Gladwin for confidence and soldiered on through. Colton found walking just slightly behind Flux's father, he thought of some things to say but couldn't pick the right words, whether it was because of pain or nervousness he just couldn't speak. Colton continued to follow the doctor whilst keeping his head up until they finally reached their destination.

Gladwin noticed Colton look back to him, possibly looking for reassurance. Gladwin mustered up a weak smile, he himself not feeling to hot at the moment either. He tried his best though to set the pegasus at ease.

Gladwin followed the doctor past the glass doors. He took a deep breath to relax himself, which turned out to be counter-productive. When he breathed in, all he could smell was... Hospital. He couldn't define the smell, or tell what was causing it, but he knew it as the same smell that lingered around every doctors office. I wonder why that is...? Perhaps Flux would know. I should ask her later... Gladwin thought to himself. At least talking to himself calmed him down a bit.

He noticed again that Colton didn't look to good. The pegasus was either just as nervous as Gladwin, or surprisingly more nervous. This WAS the mare he strolled in with's dad after all. Gladwin's eyes widened as he realized just HOW stressful this must be for the pegasus. Maybe he could help? "Don't work much on griffin's eh? Sorry for the trouble, I just had to see Canterlot though. Actually, I asked for you specifically when I was taken in at Talonpolis." Gladwin spoke in the same voice he would as if he wasn't nervous. He had to do something thought before Colton seemingly died of fright. Perhaps Colton could find a way into the conversation. Talking always seemed to lighten the mood.

"Really? Well, I have to say I'm quite flattered. I wasn't aware that I was so renowned," Dr. Scalpel replied with a chuckle.

Flux could tell that both Colton and Gladwin were feeling rather nervous. She knew that many ponies - and apparently griffin's as well - felt uncomfortable in hospitals. Personally, she couldn't relate, as much of her younger fillyhood had been spent around her father's profession. However, she did attempt to take their minds off their worry. "So," Flux said, clearing her throat slightly. "Perhaps we could discuss the tour?" It may not have been the best topic, but Flux supposed that it was better to talk about something they were familiar with.

Dr. Scalpel seemed quite interested in the subject as well. He spoke with his head still focused ahead. "A tour? I suppose that Flux was planning on showing you around Canterlot then. Interesting, I would have thought at least one of you would be from Canterlot. Clearly Gladwin isn't but Colton as well? How did you end up in Canterlot?"

Colton observed as Gladwin conversed the doctor, Colton wasn't sure if Gladwin was as nervous as he was but the griffin seemed to be confident enough to speak, something Colton wished he could say for himself. The pegasus tried desperately to think of something to discuss but sadly his mind drew a blank, he was almost ready to give up but then Flux interjected.

Suddenly Colton felt a lot more confident as the conversation was turned to common ground. Colton turned to Flux and nodded his head in confidence as a way of saying, thank you. Colton then gulped before addressing Flux's dad in response to his last statement, "Well I'm actually here to do a job for an important client, I was on my way there and I wrecked my jacket when I tried to race my friend Sparks." Colton felt like he should explain that Sparks was a bird but didn't think it was particularly relevant.

"Anyway, I went to a tailor called 'the perfect fit' to get it fixed and when I helped the owner out he decided to make me and Sparks suit's for the Grand Galloping Gala. While he worked on that I manned the counter and soon after that, Flux came in." Colton stopped for breath and continued, he knew he was rambling but he didn't really care, "Me and Flux got talking and then she offered me to stay with her and Torvus." Colton said as he assumed Flux's dad knew who Torvus was, "Oh and I almost forgot, I said to Flux my client was a gala enthusiast and usually gave me some tickets to the Gala as payment, I offered Flux one and so now we're going together."

Colton stopped dead in his tracks and bit his bottom lip as he realized what he just said, Wait...maybe I should have phrased that better.... Colton thought as he awaited the inevitable response.

Gladwin listened quietly to the conversation. One small snippet made his eyes widen though. The Grand Galloping Gala? I hear that's one of the grandest celebrations in Eqeustria! Gladwin thought to himself. He looked to the floor, contemplating. I had all but forgotten that the Gala is soon... Perhaps I should stick around Canterlot and try to find myself some tickets. He nodded to himself, I'll need a suit too. What did Colton say the name of that place was? 'The Perfect Fit?' I'll have to check it out later... Gladwin again nodded, eagerness growing in his chest.

"Going together?" Dr. Scalpel repeated the phrase questioningly, as though he was unsure if he had heard it correctly. "Well, good to see you branching out, Flux. I would have never expected you of all ponies to go to the Gala."

The white unicorn quickly began something along the lines of 'All the greatest names in science throughout all of Equestria and beyond will be there', but let the matter drop. Her father would merely smile and block out his daughter's explanation. Not that Flux particularly wanted to disabuse her father of such a notion. She was starting to make more social connection and found herself to rather enjoy such connections. With a satisfied look, she allowed her father to continue.

"You know, Flux wasn't much of a social filly. Preferred books to ponies most of the time. Her mother and I tried our hardest, but she never took to anypony. Too bad you weren't around back then, Colton." Dr. Scalpel said. After a moment, he realized something. "When you say going together, do you mean together?" He spoke as though the idea had not crossed his mind until that point.

Flux sputtered slightly, unsure how to answer her father. The thought had not crossed Flux's mind either and she wondered if that was indeed what had occurred. Perhaps...this is that strange concern I felt around this pony. Maybe... Flux lapsed into silent consideration, sinking off into her thoughts.

Colton tried to compose himself and was doing an okay job, on the outside he seemed ready to answer any concerns but on the inside his mind was darting about like crazy, he tried to think of ways to change the subject but couldn't get his mind off the situation at hand. Colton tried to utter a few desperate words in explanation but before he could say anything he noticed that Flux's father wasn't really bothered by Colton's last statement.

Colton was surprised at how relaxed Flux's father was to the whole situation, Colton breathed a sigh of relief as he hoped he didn't have to say anything else, Phew, maybe he won't ask about it.... Colton said as he exhaled deeply. Of course though Colton was never that lucky, Flux's father did indeed ask about Colton's last statement.

Colton's face froze up, Oh my Celestia, what do I do now? Colton thought as he scrambled about his head for an answer, he turned to Flux's father and considered his options, Maybe I should lie, maybe I should just ignore it. No I can't do that, he'll know Colton thought as he turned towards Flux who was deep in thought and considered his other options.........Maybe I should just tell everyone....Colton thought in a much more relaxed way. That quickly changed though when he mentally slapped himself, No I can't say that, what if Flux doesn't feel the same way about me, I'll look like an idiot. Colton said as his mind nearly collapsed with all this thought.

Ugh there expecting an answer. Say something Colton! Colton shouted to himself subconsciously, Like what? Another part of his mind answered back to the other, Like, 'Oh I'm taking your daughter to the gala' sorry for not telling you sooner?!

Colton's mind was almost a wreck at this point, he turned desperately to Gladwin and made a face almost as if he was saying, Help me Gladwin, do something.

Gladwin was casually looking around, observing the alien surroundings. Colton then turned back to Gladwin with an expression of fear. Gladwin raised an eyebrow, slightly confused. Gladwin looked around, and tried remembering parts of the conversation in his head. His eyes darted back in forth, as if he was pondering, trying to buy himself some time.

What SHOULD he say? Gladwin opened his beak to say something, but the thought was lost. He closed his beak and looked back and forth again, a small 'Hmm' vibrating from his throat. Gladwin then gave a shrug, he was defeated. Gladwin then waved him on with one of his talons, Go on! Gladwin then puffed out his chest in a manner of toughness and then again waved Colton on. I'm not an actor... Gladwin thought as he face-talon'd

Suddenly, the unicorn doctor stopped in his tracks. "Here we are, my office," he proclaimed proudly. He pulled open the glass doors with his magic, revealing the doctor's office within. A heightened examination table stood in the middle of the room, flankedon each side by cabinets filled with complex instruments and medical charts. A modest wooden desk sat in the corner of the room with papers stacked high upon its edge and several empty coffee mugs by arms of the accompanying chair. Seemingly forgetting about his earlier enquiry, Dr. Scalpel turned back toward the three with him. "So, who wants to go first?"

Flux took a seat in one of the chairs that lined the back part of the room. Her father kept them around for the family or friends of a patient to occupy if they wished. She was still puzzling over her possible realization and therefore had a faroff look in her eye. As she stared into empty space, she wondered and wondered. Is that what is happening here? Have I developed a...crush? The level-headed -and sometimes rather maniacal - scientific side of Flux was rejecting this idea as quickly as it had been suggested, not willing to admit the possibility. However, another softer and much less heeded part of her was encouraging her to discover whether that was, in fact, the case with Colton. Frustrated with this warring of her self, Flux opted to put it out of her mind and instead focus on her father's work.

Colton stared back at Gladwin as he issued his various gestures, and sadly, Colton understood ever single one of them. Thanks a lot Gladwin...great help there buddy, Colton thought to himself sarcastically as he tried to think of something else to say, he was about to mutter some random gibberish in his desperation when he was stopped by Flux's dad announcing that they had arrived.

Colton breathed a massive mental sigh of relief as he looked around. He saw what he had expected from any other hospital and, it didn't help with the current situation at all. Colton needed time to think through all this so when the doctor asked who would go first Colton asked almost immedietly, "I'll...go first Dr.Flux" Colton said as he walked towards the table and observed a rather frustrated Flux sitting on one of the chair, Colton wasn't sure why thought but he had a pretty good idea. He decided to try and focus on the matter at hand though as he lay down on the table.

Colton tried to put the situation with Flux out of his mind, but no matter what he constantly had a voice niggling in the back of his head almost begging to himself, Just tell her Colton.... The thought persisted as he put on a brave face and pretended noting was bothering him. He decided to focus on the now but still couldn't keep it out of his head, I'll talk to her later, when we're done here. Colton thought to himself as he lay ready for what was to come.

Gladwin let out a sigh of relief as Colton offered to go first. He took a seat outside the office with Flux, awaiting his turn as if it was his turn for the guillotine. I wonder what had Colton all worked up, thought Gladwin. He glanced over at Flux, who also had a far-off look in her eyes as well. Did...I miss something...? Gladwin thought with a raised eyebrow. His mind drifted back to the Gala, thinking of all it's wonders and colors. He then realized the entire party would be filled with the same ponies whom gave him such a warm welcome earlier today. Then again, Colton and Flux would be there. They were two ponies who prove not every Canterlot pony was so bad. Maybe I could find a way...Gladwin raised his talon to his chin in thought, pondering a way to get into the Gala, and better yet, a pony to take with him.

The doctor nodded at Colton's answer, trotting over to the examination table. "Alright, this shouldn't take very long. I'll just finetune this brace here and give you some medicine to make the healing go a bit faster. You'll have to stay here for the night, but you'll be right as rain in the morning." Levitating over a sketelal chart, he started to remove the brace at the same time. At regular invervals, he checked the chart to ensure that he replaced the bone as accurately as possible. He worked slowly, moving the misplaced bone barely a milimetre each time, but soon the unicorn had it in the correct position. With a small scrape against the ligament that connected the two bones, he finalized the bone's position. With a satisfied nod, he retrieved some more professional materials to recreate the brace. Holding the brace against the injury with several clips, Dr. Scalpel backed away from Colton to examine his work. "Perfect. I must admit, this would have taken much longer if it hadn't already been mostly realigned by Flux, I'll be sure to thank her later."

Trotting over to on of the cabinets, he pulled out a round container and emptied out two small green pills. He placed them on a tray along with a glass of water and set them before Colton. "That should help with both the healing and reducing any swelling that may occur." Opening up the doors, he called out to Gladwin, "Gladwin, could you step inside?"

--------------

Flux was still mentally warring over her realization, trying to determine what exactly should - or should not - be done. She didn't want to assume anything however, therefore the unicorn opted to wait for a time when Colton actually declared any feelings to her before worrying about her answer. Bringing herself out of a reverie, she noticed Gladwin seemed to be in deep contemplation as well. She wondered if griffin's encountered problems such as these before answering her own, rather obvious question. Of course they do.

She looked up as her father poked her head around the newly opened glass doors. Upon hearing his message, she gave Gladwin a reassuring smile in an attempt to assuage any nervousness that the griffin might have.

Colton readied himself for what was to come, he wondered about having to spend the night in the hospital a few questions crossed the pegasus' mind, I'm I gonna be here by myself? Would Flux or Gladwin even want to stay with me? And what about Sparks, how's he supposed to find me? Colton didn't have time to contemplate these questions though as Flux's father had already started to move his out of place neck bone.

Colton gritted his teeth slightly as the doctor moved the bone into a more permanent position, the pegasus had gotten used to the pain but that didn't mean he no longer felt it. He felt more relaxed as the brace was put into place, Colton breathed a loud sigh of relief as Flux's father approached him with two odd pills and a cup of water. After hearing the doctor's explanation of said pills Colton slowly took a sip of water and gulped down each pill accordingly.

Afterwards Colton stood up from the table and rubbed the back of his, trying to get used to the new brace. He watched as Gladwin walked in and gave a smile to both the griffin and the doctor as he walked out through the glass doors. When Colton passed the glass doors he saw Flux sitting on a nearby chair, Colton took a clichéd gulp and sat on a chair beside her's. Colton sat in silence for a minute or two, twiddling with his hooves trying to think of an appropriate thing to say given the circumstances. The pegasus had hoped that he would further discuss the matter with Flux when they returned to the tower that night, but sadly that wasn't going to happen. Colton couldn't think of anything else to say other than just that.

"So....your, uh, dad said I'll be staying here tonight." Colton said as he stared at the floor, not daring to make eye contact. The pegasus' response was simple but all the questions that popped into his head were not, they were anything but. Well what do I do now? Should I even say anything? What if she's waiting for me to say something. Colton thought as his mind nearly ripped itself apart. Well now isn't the time to discuss it......right? Colton asked himself, bud sadly his mind gave him no answers.

Colton was furious with himself, he wanted to say something but couldn't, the words were right there in his head but he just couldn't say them. He then came to the conclusion that he should wait for a better opportunity, any time was better than now, he hoped Flux would stay at the hospital with him but he thought that those chances were slim, never the less, he hoped for it.

Gladwin snapped out of his deep thinking with a small jerk. He glanced up to the doctor with a confused look. His thoughts came back together though in time for him to give a nod as he rose up, "Alright then." He said as he walked into the doctors office, "Maybe it's just a sprain, I'm not sure doc, but they said it was bad enough to send me to a hospital." Gladwin shrugged, hoping the injury wasn't anything TOO major. His wings gave a single flap as he was lifted up onto the table. Gladwin then lifted his talon for the doctor to inspect.

Dr. Scalpel took the talon carefully in his hooves, eyeing it in a practiced manner. He had swapped his charts quickly, summoning on that detailed griffin physiology. The chart he had used while mending Colton's injury had not been strictly necessary, as it was there more as a reassuance for the patient than a guide for the doctor. In this case however, he did need to consult the information there. He did work on griffins very occasionally and even in medical school, they were only given a cursory glance. Focusing intently on his diagnosis, he stood statue-still for a few moments.

With the suddeness of an awakening dragon, the doctor released the talon and turned back to his supply cabinet, talking all the while. "You are quite lucky Gladwin. It is still a sprain, but it is an severe one. I believe it may have torn some tendons, which is likely why the team that found you recommended a hospital. Luckily, I am a unicorn and can just mend the tearing without performing any operations. The talon itself should be realigned as well. Besides that, any other damage will heal naturally." He swirled back to face the griffin, several linen wrappings and medical clips hovering above his head.

"This may hurt a bit," he warned, placing the medical tools on a nearby tray and beginning his focus on Gladwin's talon. He could almost see the tears as he sent forth his magic, almost feeling the healing process that was initiated and accelerated by the magic. He withdrew his concentration from the internal injury once he sensed that his magic had done its work and began to wrap up the talon in the thick linen. Adding the clips to hold the wrapping tight, Dr. Scalpel declared his work completed. "Now, it is not strictly necessary for you to stay the night, but considering the circumstances, it may be best so that we can monitor your healing. It is up to you, really."

--------

Flux only partially recognized Colton sitting down beside her, as she was still engulfed in concentrated thought. However, when the pegasus spoke, Flux snapped back to attention. She pushed away her inner turmoil and listened closely to Colton's words. She had hoped that they could return to the clock tower once the bone had been reset, but it seemed that was not longer the case. She wondered what Torvus must be thinking, supposing that he must be rather worried. Flux felt that she couldn't just leave her friend here alone and thus decided on a course of action.

"If you are staying the night, I shall accompany you. It would not be fitting of a good hostess to abandon you here. However, Torvus should be informed. To that end, I shall seek out one of the owls employed by the Centre and send a letter to Torvus." When she completed her answer, Flux pulled out a piece of paper from her saddlebags and begun to scribble down the information that Torvus would need to know.

Colton was shocked by the initial fact that Flux said she was going to stay with him, he felt honoured that Flux would give up her own time for Colton. Whether it was because she didn't want to be a 'bad hostess' or if she shared feelings that Colton had for her the pegasus didn't know. Colton began to think on how Sparks would cope without him but he quickly reassured himself when he assumed that the bird was safe and sound with Torvus and Tesla back at the tower.

Colton couldn't really say a few words in response to Flux's generosity other than, "Thanks Flux, that's very kind of you." He said as he kept avoiding eye contact. All the questions Colton was previously faced with though hadn't gone though and he found himself still frustrated by it. Colton needed some thinking space but sadly that was a precious commodity in a hospital so he settled for whatever he could find.

As he observed Flux writing the letter to Torvus he excuse himself for a second to be alone with his thoughts, "Uh..excuse me Flux, I uh, gotta..go stretch my legs." Colton said as he thought to himself, You Idiot, there's nothing wrong with your legs! But the pegasus didn't dare turn around less Flux had caught him out on his obvious lie. Colton sharply turned a corner and checked to make sure Flux couldn't see him.

The pegasus tapped his head a few times in thought, So what now genius?! Colton shouted mentally at himself, You just dug yourself a deeper hole! She probably thinks that you're making excuses to get away from her. Colton's mind said in an angry , harsh tone. Then Colton's softer side interjected, She wouldn't think that right?....I mean why would anypony want to get away from her. Colton asked himself rhetorically as he rested his head against a wall, the pegasus finally came to a conclusion in his own head, Okay.....she's staying with me tonight....I'll tell her when we're alone... Colton thought as his negative side jutted in once again, And what if she doesn't feel the same way? Colton thought as he quickly came to a conclusion on this matter, ....I don't know. Colton lowered his head at the thought as he walked back to his chair.

He put on a smile to cover up his inner turmoil as he sat back down, and didn't utter a word as he observed Flux writing. He just sat there with a concerned look on his face as he contemplated how he was inevitably going to tell Flux.