Ponies & Dragons

Starburst

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the way I'm thinking about doing it, is holding the forum for any roleplaying between the characters, and the combat in a separate chatroom. Combat takes a lot more time to do than regular roleplaying does. However, if we get enough ponies with certain availability and can host a chat based game, that would be fine too.

My previous questions still stand however..

What level does everyone think is most appropriate for a new character?

Also, I'm thinking of treating applications to the game just like applications on the website. What do you think of that?

I think the idea of treating applications carefully is a good one, as is limiting the party size, and perhaps creating arrangements for what to do if all the players aren't there.

As far as levels, I've often found that 3-4 is a good starting place. I've only ever run or played in a handful of 3.5 games, but it seemed to work.

My availability: I would totally dig on a once-a-month game.

I think the idea of treating applications carefully is a good one, as is limiting the party size, and perhaps creating arrangements for what to do if all the players aren't there.

As far as levels, I've often found that 3-4 is a good starting place. I've only ever run or played in a handful of 3.5 games, but it seemed to work.

My availability: I would totally dig on a once-a-month game.

Once a month is too little for me. It would take far too much time to accomplish anything. With a forum based structure you can bounce between forums and chat if the players are all online. I still think that's the best way to go. Anyone else have any suggestions?

My DM who has gotten old and fat and confused used to always start us at level 6.

As for times, forum RP (as this site is accustomed) would do fine for the stuff that doesn't involve dice. A forum chat, as it's real time, is just... better, I think. I dunno. I also trust the wisdom of others.

Better? Yes. But less accessible than forums for people with tight schedules. It depends on how many of our ponies have jobs.

I work 9-5 GMT which makes my schedule pretty awkward unless we only do the chat thing on weekends.

I'm not too fussed about starting level.

Are you wanting to stick to core or are there any splat books you're allowing? I know it might be a little early to ask that but I might as well while I remember :P

For now just the Core rulebook, the Advanced players guide, and we'll leave it at that for now.

The level can vary with the story, if you award levels based on plot progress rather than hard-written exp values. I find that a fresh level one game can be plenty engaging, so long as it details some sort of rise-to-prominence story and grants at least level 3-4 within as many sessions. On the other hand, characters which have some initial prowess (if not renown) do well starting at 5-6 in some campaigns.

The way it was described to me, level 5 is about as powerful as any real world human could actually hope to be; beyond that, you're fully immersed in fantasy-level talents and tend to need to start roleplaying it likewise.

The level can vary with the story, if you award levels based on plot progress rather than hard-written exp values. I find that a fresh level one game can be plenty engaging, so long as it details some sort of rise-to-prominence story and grants at least level 3-4 within as many sessions. On the other hand, characters which have some initial prowess (if not renown) do well starting at 5-6 in some campaigns.

The way it was described to me, level 5 is about as powerful as any real world human could actually hope to be; beyond that, you're fully immersed in fantasy-level talents and tend to need to start roleplaying it likewise.

I'd say anything past 8th is going into the fantasy realms myself. There are extraordinary people that defy the norm of human society. Those people would be 8th level commoners. I say 8th because that's two points in attributes to build, with a maximum score in any stat as a human of 18, to 20 after the 2 points.

While I'd be much more available for a play-by-post/forum-based game, I must weigh in on the side of the excellenty-avatared Mr. Krackle and say that a chat-based game might have a more authentic atmosphere. I'd suggest that Starburst's feelings might be ones to go by on this. Starburst, which do you think would be more fun for you?

So... I spent a while today writing up some pony-workable weapons and such. What do y'all think?

Unarmed Attacks

Kick: 1d4, 2x, B; nonlethal

Headbutt: 1d6, 2x, B; nonlethal. Earth ponies and pegasi only.

Simple Weapons:

Hoofguards: 1d6, 2x, B; nonlethal.

Simple, weighted metal rings which tack onto on one's hoof.

Bladed Shoes: 1d4, 18-20/2x, P

Short, mean-looking spikes which tie around one's hooves.

Crossbow, light.: 1d8, 19-20/2x, P

A lever-drawn crossbow which ties around one's foreleg. As per core rule book.

Crossbow, heavy: 1d10, 19-20/2x, P

Very cumbersome to use in mid-air, pegasi who have moved in the same turn take -3 to hit.

An awkward but effective crank-drawn crossbow. As per core rule book.

Hard headgear: 1d8, 2x, B; nonlethal. Earth ponies and pegasi only.

Any sort of hardened headwear can make one's headbutt much more unpleasant.

Martial Weapons:

Armored Hoofguards: 2d4, 2x, B; nonlethal.

Add +1 to the AC value of one's armor.

A reinforced set of hoofguards makes one's hooves potent weapons in their own right.

Bladed Hoofguards: 1d8, 19-20/2x, S

Lightly armored hoofguards encircled with keen blades.

Heavy Helmet: 1d10, 19-20/2x, B; nonlethal. earth ponies and pegasi only.

-2 to perception. +2 to AC value of one's armor.

A sturdy helmet, good for absorbing a blow or dealing one.

Charger's Helm: 1d10, 3x, P; earth ponies and pegasi only.

-2 to perception. Running (not flying) charges with this weapon deal double damage.

A sleek helmet with a jagged horn, braced for charging one's foes.

Shouldered Spear: 1d8, 18-20/2x, P

A weapon with +5' reach. Attacks with the hoof of the leg on which it is mounted provoke attacks of opportunity. Running (not flying) charges with this weapon deal double damage.

A clumsy but useful weapon, the spear is a staple of the grand armored charges of antiquity.

Longbow: 1d8, 3x, P

Very cumbersome to use in mid-air, pegasi who have moved in the same turn take -3 to hit.

Strapped to and braced against one's forehoof, it is less powerful than a crossbow but may be fired more rapidly by a skilled archer.

Shortbow: 1d6, 3x, P

Iconic of the daring pegasus skirmishers of antiquity, the shortbow is much more wieldy while flying than its larger cousin.

Exotic Weapons:

Destrier's Helm: 1d10, 19-20/3x, P or S; earth ponies and pegasi only.

Being useful for parrying, this helm grants +1 dodge AC per 4 fighter levels (+1 at 5, +2 at 9, etc.)

-2 to perception.

Its proper use was pioneered by earth ponies; -4 to hit while flying.

Fighters of at least level 5 may pursue training in its use without spending a feat, but must have accomplished some great feat of bravery to prove their worth to those who have mastered it.

A helm with a broad and sturdy blade fixed frontward from its crest; few outside the ranks of the legendary Destriers are familiar with the fluid and unrelenting fighting style that it is meant for.

Heavy Flail: 1d10, 19-20/2x, B

Disarm and trip attacks do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Requires no helmet and one free hoof to use.

May thrown as an attack once per round at 10' foot reach as a full round action.

A weighted ball on a very long chain with cloth grips, tied to one wrist and swung by one's teeth. Its may seem clumsy, but in the hands of a trained warrior, it is as versatile as it is powerful.

Rings of Focus: 1d4, 20/3x, P

Can only be trained in, using a feat, by a unicorn with levels in a spell-using class.

Add one's primary casting skill modifier (Cha for sorcerers, for example) to damage.

A set of enchanted rings worn around one's horn. They are a trademark of skilled battle mages, allowing even a weary mind to channel their latent magic control into projecting a small pebble or other item at painfully high speeds.

Paladin's Hammerhooves: 2d4, 19-20/2x, B; nonlethal

Paladins of at least level 4 who have proven their good intent and valor may train in their use without spending a feat to do so.

If used by a well-meaning Paladin, they possess the Merciful (+1d6 nonlethal) trait intrinsically, and accept other enchantments as if previously unenchanted.

These massive boots are forged of solid steel and inlaid with beautiful gold script. It seems as though they would hinder their bearer; yet, when wielded by a warrior who is pure of heart and honest of intent, they are as light as silk until the time comes to deliver a thunderous below.

So... I spent a while today writing up some pony-workable weapons and such. What do y'all think?

Unarmed Attacks

Kick: 1d4, 2x, B; nonlethal

Headbutt: 1d6, 2x, B; nonlethal. Earth ponies and pegasi only.

Simple Weapons:

Hoofguards: 1d6, 2x, B; nonlethal.

Simple, weighted metal rings which tack onto on one's hoof.

Bladed Shoes: 1d4, 18-20/2x, P

Short, mean-looking spikes which tie around one's hooves.

Crossbow, light.: 1d8, 19-20/2x, P

A lever-drawn crossbow which ties around one's foreleg. As per core rule book.

Crossbow, heavy: 1d10, 19-20/2x, P

An awkward but effective crank-drawn crossbow. As per core rule book.

Hard headgear: 1d8, 2x, B; nonlethal. Earth ponies and pegasi only.

Any sort of hardened headwear can make one's headbutt much more unpleasant.

Martial Weapons:

Armored Hoofguards: 2d4, 2x, B; nonlethal.

Add +1 to the AC value of one's armor.

A reinforced set of hoofguards makes one's hooves potent weapons in their own right.

Bladed Hoofguards: 1d8, 19-20/2x, S

Lightly armored hoofguards encircled with keen blades.

Heavy Helmet: 1d10, 19-20/2x, B; nonlethal. earth ponies and pegasi only.

-2 to perception. +2 to AC value of one's armor.

A sturdy helmet, good for absorbing a blow or dealing one.

Charger's Helm: 1d10, 3x, P; earth ponies and pegasi only.

-2 to perception. Running (not flying) charges with this weapon deal double damage.

A sleek helmet with a jagged horn, braced for charging one's foes.

Shouldered Spear: 1d8, 18-20/2x, P

A weapon with +5' reach. Attacks with the hoof of the leg on which it is mounted provoke attacks of opportunity. Running (not flying) charges with this weapon deal double damage.

A clumsy but useful weapon, the spear is a staple of the grand armored charges of antiquity.

Longbow: 1d8, 3x, P

Strapped to and braced against one's forehoof, it is less powerful than a crossbow but may be fired more rapidly by a skilled archer.

Shortbow: 1d6, 3x, P

Iconic of the daring pegasus skirmishers of antiquity, the shortbow is much more wieldy while flying than its larger cousin.

Exotic Weapons:

Destrier's Helm: 1d10, 19-20/3x, P or S; earth ponies and pegasi only.

Being useful for parrying, this helm grants +1 dodge AC per 4 fighter levels (+1 at 5, +2 at 9, etc.)

-2 to perception.

Fighters of at least level 5 may pursue training in its use without spending a feat, but must have accomplished some great feat of bravery to prove their worth to those who have mastered it.

A helm with a broad and sturdy blade fixed frontward from its crest; few outside the ranks of the legendary Destriers are familiar with the fluid and unrelenting fighting style that it is meant for.

Heavy Flail: 1d10, 19-20/2x, B

Disarm and trip attacks do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

May thrown as an attack once per round at 10' foot reach as a full round action.

A weighted ball on a very long chain with cloth grips, tied to one wrist and swung by one's teeth. Its may seem clumsy, but in the hands of a trained warrior, it is as versatile as it is powerful.

Can only be trained in, using a feat, by a unicorn with levels in a spell-using class.

Add one's primary casting skill modifier (Cha for sorcerers, for example) to damage.

A set of enchanted rings worn around one's horn. They are a trademark of skilled battle mages, allowing even a weary mind to channel their latent magic control into projecting a small pebble or other item at painfully high speeds.

Paladin's Hammerhooves: 2d4, 19-20/2x, B; nonlethal

Paladins of at least level 4 who have proven their good intent and valor may train in their use without spending a feat to do so.

If used by a well-meaning Paladin, they possess the Merciful (+1d6 nonlethal) trait intrinsically, and accept other enchantments as if previously unenchanted.

These massive boots are forged of solid steel and inlaid with beautiful gold script. It seems as though they would hinder their bearer; yet, when wielded by a warrior who is pure of heart and honest of intent, they are as light as silk until the time comes to deliver a thunderous below.

I like it. But some of the latter exotic weapons are much too powerful, and consist of stronger-than-average weapons, they'd have to have a greater value. Most of them favor fighters as well.

For example, your Heavy Flail simulates the feats Improved Disarm and Improved Trip, Has 10ft reach ( something normally only large creatures possess ) and no reach penalty, meaning it can be used adjacent to other ponies without any penalties. It's much too powerful.

The Paladin's Hammerhooves aren't as powerful comparitively. However, With 2d4 damage, and an extra 1d6 nonlethal, they don't make as much sense. I think 2d4 nonlethal, or 1d10 nonlethal, would be better personally. As dealing non-lethal damage with a lethal weapon only bypasses a -4 penalty. Making the weapon non-lethal just bypasses the penalty altogether.

Ho'kay, so... Here's an updated version of the exotic table:

Exotic Weapons:

Destrier's Helm: 1d8, 20/3x, P or S; earth ponies and pegasi only.

-2 to perception.

Heavy Flail: 1d10, 2x, B

The weapon may be used, as a full round action, be thrown at an enemy 10' away. Treat this as any other throwing weapon attack.

+2 to attempts to trip or disarm.

May be dropped after a failed trip attempt to avoid the user being themselves tripped.

A weighted ball on a very long chain with leather grips, tied to one wrist and swung by one's teeth. Its may seem clumsy, but when wielded by a trained warrior, it is as versatile as it is powerful.

Paladin's Hammerhooves: 1d8, 19-20/2x, B;

Paladins of at least level 5 who have proven their good intent and valor may train in their use without spending a feat to do so.

If used by a well-meaning Paladin, they possess the Merciful (+1d6 damage, all damage nonlethal) trait intrinsically, and accept other enchantments as if previously unenchanted.

Once per day, the user may use the latent magic in their weapons during a running charge to slam the ground in a great clap of righteous thunder in place of another attack; all characters within 10' must make a fortitude save of DC 15 plus the wearer's Paladin level or be stunned for 1d4 rounds, and all within 20' may deafened as per a Thunderstone. Characters whose initiative is affected in this way may be pushed back in the initiative order if combat has already begin when the charge is made.

Bolas: 1d4, 2x, B; nonlethal

An attacker may use these to make a ranged trip attack against an opponent up to 30 feet away, plus five feet times the attacker's dexterity modifier. The attacker cannot be tripped by failing a ranged trip attack.

A trio of wooden balls, joined together by sturdy silken rope. It is said that carnivorous folk beyond Equestria use such weapons to bring down live prey. Whether or not the user's intent is so barbaric, they are a useful, if not difficult, tool to master.

Repeating Crossbow: 1d8, 19-20/2x, P;

A repeating crossbow may be swiftly re-cocked (as a free action) so long as at least one bolt remains in its 5-bolt clip. Reloading the clip requires a full round action.

Attempting to reload with an armor-shod hoof makes it difficult to operate the fine mechanisms of the bow. If the user does not have at least one unarmed forehoof, he or she must take a standard action after reloading the bow to finish securing and priming it.

Although the mechanisms of this bow may seem needlessly complex for a weapon, it can fire almost as fast as its user can find targets. It has found popularity among certain pegasus auxiliaries as a hit-and-run weapon of great utility.

Quarterstaff: 1d6/1d6, 2x, B;

A quarterstaff may be wielded as if it were two weapons; all relevant penalties and benefits apply.

The quarterstaff is a weapon suitable for pony monks. They may use it in their Flurry of Blows, and gain +2 to trip attempts with it.

For a pony to make effective use of a quarterstaff requires superb balance and coordination; spun on the hooves of a skilled user, however, it is a vicious and constantly moving threat in battle.

Paladin's Hammerhooves: 1d8, 19-20/2x, B;

Paladins of at least level 5 who have proven their good intent and valor may train in their use without spending a feat to do so.

If used by a well-meaning Paladin, they possess the Merciful (+1d6 damage, all damage nonlethal) trait intrinsically, and accept other enchantments as if previously unenchanted.

Once per day, the user may use the latent magic in their weapons during a running charge to slam the ground in a great clap of righteous thunder in place of another attack; all characters within 10' must make a fortitude save of DC 15 plus the wearer's Paladin level or be stunned for 1d4 rounds, and all within 20' may deafened as per a Thunderstone. Characters whose initiative is affected in this way may be pushed back in the initiative order if combat has already begin when the charge is made.

You've made it even worse. Not only do you give it a lot of damage, a magical quality, and an ability that requires a very high save.

1d8 is understandable damage on its own. But its lethal damage. The purpose of a weapon with the Merciful quality is to incapacitate an opponent. Which is intrinsically imbued within the weapon. If you're doing both lethal and nonlethal damage, you still have the chance to kill your opponent. Which would if in a paladins hands cause them to have to atone should they kill someone they didn't mean to kill. If you're giving a weapon Merciful, it always deals ONLY Nonlethal damage. Here's the text directly from the book.

Merciful

Aura Faint conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, cure light wounds; Price +1 bonus.

Description

The weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage, and all damage it deals is nonlethal damage. On command, the weapon suppresses this ability until told to resume it (allowing it to deal lethal damage, but without any bonus damage from this ability).

You can't put a +1 enchantment, or something close to it, on a weapon, without making it magical. If you want a nonlethal weapon, you can use a sap.

The other quality,

If a player is level 5, They don't have to use a feat, however, if a player chooses to use a feat for the weapon at level one, they can. In that case, They have a tool they can use once a day to curbstomp their opponents. If a paladin is level 1, that's DC16. An average player has a con of 10-12. Meaning a +1 bonus to Fortitude saves. They also may or may not have a +2 to their Fort saves based on class level. That's a total bonus of +1~3 at First level.

At DC16, That same character has less than a 50% chance of making the save. They have to roll a 13-15 to make a save. That has less than a 75% chance of occurring.

As per the Sourcebook, it applies the Stunned and Deafened conditions for 1d4 rounds.

Stunned-

A stunned creature drops everything held, can't take actions, takes a –2 penalty to AC, and loses its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

Attackers receive a +4 bonus on attack rolls to perform combat maneuvers against a stunned opponent.

Deafened-

A deafened character cannot hear. He takes a –4 penalty on initiative checks, automatically fails Perception checks based on sound, takes a –4 penalty on opposed Perception checks, and has a 20% chance of spell failure when casting spells with verbal components. Characters who remain deafened for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

So at level 1, you'd have a 60-75% chance of disarming an opponent, Giving them a penalty to AC, and causing them to not be able to take any action for 1d4 rounds. Average AC for a character at level 1 is anywhere from 10-18 or so. 1-3 normally comes from DEX. The rest from armor. So you'd be giving them a 1-3 penalty to AC, as well as dropping it another 2 more. For 3-5. An AC penalty of 3-5. So their AC would be 10-13. Since the average character has a hit point average at level 1 from 8-12. If you hit someone twice during their stun ( which is very likely, given their AC penalties ) You'd incapacitate them, maybe even kill them if you wanted to.

In short. It's far too overpowered. You can't make a weapon non-lethal without make it deal some form of bludgeoning damage. (Aka, a Sap. ) And you most certainly can't give it an ability that requires such an impossible save. The save DC for spells is only 10+ spell level + spell modifier. A 1st level spell at maximum has a DC of 15 at first level, While unlikely. At 14-16 base score the save drops to 13-14.

That's my thoughts on the matter.

The interpretation I've always read is that a merciful weapon deals non-lethal damage (including damage from other enchantments) in all circumstances in which its user has not suppressed that ability; doing so would, reasonably, make the weapon weaker but allow the paladin to inflict a lethal wound on a target they believe deserving of it. I may be misunderstanding your argument, but I don't see what the issue is. I will, though, lower the base damage to 1d6; 1d8+1d6, looking at it now, is a bit high even for a difficult-to-attain weapon, especially considering its other intrinsic special.

As for the save DC, looking at the numbers, you're right that it is too high. I will also cede that it should not be available at level 1; my intention was that it should be an option for characters who are dedicated to the paladin class and have made accomplishments in that context. Allowing it to be taken by a character simply by expending a feat would not be appropriate.

Let's try this again... x_x

Paladin's Hammerhooves: 1d6, 19-20/2x, B;

Paladins of at least level 5 who have proven their virtue and valor to their order in a particularly notable way may train in their use. Characters who are not at least 5th level Paladins in good standing will find the weapons cumbersome and unwieldy; they will be limited to half (rounding down) of their movement speed and fight with an additional -6 to hit.

If used by a well-meaning Paladin, they possess the Merciful (+1d6 nonlethal) trait. They are always masterwork, and may be enchanted as though they did not already have the Merciful trait for purposes of cost (though not maximum enchantment).

Once per day, a Paladin of at least level 5 and in good standing may use the righteous power of their weapons during a running charge to slam the ground in a great clap of righteous thunder in place of another attack; all characters within 10' around the paladin must make a fortitude save of DC 12 plus half (rounding down) of the wearer's Paladin level and the enchantment level (not counting Merciful) of the weapon or be stunned for 1d4 rounds, and all within 20' (save for the Paladin) may deafened as per a Thunderstone.

The save DC at level five for an unenchanted weapon would be 12 + 2 + 0, = 14. At level 12 with a reasonable +3 enchantment, that would be 12 + 6 + 3 = 21, against an equally leveled opponent. The damage done for a level 5 Paladin (assuming 18 strength for a melee-focused character) would be 2d6+4 (avg. 11; rather powerful, but not imbalanced).

I'm undecided whether as to put a feat requirement on that as well, or allow qualifying paladins to train simply by virtue of in-character accomplishment.

The interpretation I've always read is that a merciful weapon deals non-lethal damage (including damage from other enchantments) in all circumstances in which its user has not suppressed that ability; doing so would, reasonably, make the weapon weaker but allow the paladin to inflict a lethal wound on a target they believe deserving of it. I may be misunderstanding your argument, but I don't see what the issue is. I will, though, lower the base damage to 1d6; 1d8+1d6, looking at it now, is a bit high even for a difficult-to-attain weapon, especially considering its other intrinsic special.

As for the save DC, looking at the numbers, you're right that it is too high. I will also cede that it should not be available at level 1; my intention was that it should be an option for characters who are dedicated to the paladin class and have made accomplishments in that context. Allowing it to be taken by a character simply by expending a feat would not be appropriate.

Let's try this again... x_x

Paladin's Hammerhooves: 1d6, 19-20/2x, B;

Paladins of at least level 5 who have proven their virtue and valor to their order in a particularly notable way may train in their use. Characters who are not at least 5th level Paladins in good standing will find the weapons cumbersome and unwieldy; they will be limited to half (rounding down) of their movement speed and fight with an additional -6 to hit.

If used by a well-meaning Paladin, they possess the Merciful (+1d6 nonlethal) trait. They are always masterwork, and may be enchanted as though they did not already have the Merciful trait for purposes of cost (though not maximum enchantment).

Once per day, a Paladin of at least level 5 and in good standing may use the righteous power of their weapons during a running charge to slam the ground in a great clap of righteous thunder in place of another attack; all characters within 10' around the paladin must make a fortitude save of DC 12 plus half (rounding down) of the wearer's Paladin level and the enchantment level (not counting Merciful) of the weapon or be stunned for 1d4 rounds, and all within 20' (save for the Paladin) may deafened as per a Thunderstone.

These massive boots are forged of solid steel and inlaid with beautiful gold script. It seems as though they would hinder their bearer; yet, when wielded by a warrior who is pure of heart and honest of intent, they are as light as silk until the time comes to deliver a thunderous blow.

The save DC at level five for an unenchanted weapon would be 12 + 2 + 0, = 14. At level 12 with a reasonable +3 enchantment, that would be 12 + 6 + 3 = 21, against an equally leveled opponent. The damage done for a level 5 Paladin (assuming 18 strength for a melee-focused character) would be 2d6+4 (avg. 11; rather powerful, but not imbalanced).

I'm undecided whether as to put a feat requirement on that as well, or allow qualifying paladins to train simply by virtue of in-character accomplishment.

The save DC is fine now. Eliminate the part about not taking up a slot in enchanting. Without that players could over-enchant the weapon for next to nothing in cost. I'd say the proper thing to do would be to make the weapon not able to be enchanted because it already gets the merciful bonus for free. That I won't budge on. Reduce the stun and deafness to one round, make it affect evil characters only, and make the effect consume a thunderstone from your inventory to charge the effect via ritual ( akin to a wizard preparing spells, the paladin must enchant the hammer-hooves to use them during the day ). Stun is still a free disarm, a large penalty to armor class, and the character affected is unable to take action. Not to mention the fact that if you're fighting an evil character, you still have Holy Smite and lay on hands.

I'm not one for putting a powerful tool in the hands of a player if I don't deem it to be completely balanced. If you really wanted to you could pick up a stunned characters weapon, and throw it away while they're disarmed, leaving them totally helpless after the stun ends. The choices are myriad. Stun is never a good idea to give to a low level player. Monks have a stunning fist from level one, but they have to score a hit, and the target has to save. I think an attack roll might be necessary as well.

Your math is a bit wrong on the damage as well. 2d6 is the damage of a two-handed greatsword. The strength on a two handed weapon is multiplied by 1.5. So the total damage would be 2d6+1d6+9, or 18 average non-lethal damage. Six from the 1.5x strength bonus for wielding a weapon with two hands, and +3 damage from the possible +3 enchantment, if I did allow it to be enchanted.

I'm contemplating. What do other ponies think about this? And what about you Tenth? Are you planning on playing a Paladin?

Hehe, lemme try this one more time.

Paladin's Hammerhooves: 1d4, 20/3x, B;

If used by a well-meaning Paladin they possess the Merciful trait (+1d6, all damage nonlethal) but may not be given any other magical property which deals additional damage (except for Holy or Axiomatic) or changes its damage type (such as Shocking or Icy Burst). They are always masterwork, and count as initially +1 enchanted when determining the cost and limits of further enchantment.

Once per day, a Paladin of at least level 5 and in good standing may use the righteous power of their weapons during a running charge to slam the ground in a great clap of righteous thunder in place of another attack; all evil characters within 5' around the paladin must make a fortitude save of DC 12 plus half (rounding down) of the wearer's Paladin level and the enchantment level (not counting Merciful) of the weapon or be stunned for one round, and those within 20' (save for the Paladin) may deafened as per a Thunderstone.

It's an option, though honestly, I was leaning towards either ranger or sorcerer. xD

Your math is good, but remember, it's not a single two-hooved weapon; it's a pair of one-hooved weapons. I've also brought the damage down just a bit further (1d6 to 1d4) to account for that. The result is an average 12 damage with the standard penalties for two-weapon fighting with one-handed weapons. I would like to draw a compromise on enchantment, though; to be viable at higher levels, some additional damage is needed. I think the most reasonable and most fitting way to do that would be to allow it to have the Axiomatic or Holy enchantments, but no others which directly increase damage; both are prohibitively expensive until higher levels (with no others, 18 000 for one and 50 000 for both per hoof), but appropriate for a paladin's weapon and relatively balanced at that point in the game.

The trick to all of this is how exactly to consider the sort of weapons a pony might wield. It's incredibly difficult to imagine, for instance, how a two-handed weapon would work; any such thing would make walking incredibly difficult. I think there's room for work-arounds in things like quarterstaves, which would most likely be carried over the shoulder or in one's teeth when out of combat, and balanced or spun constantly while in use; but, other than that, we might have to get creative.

Thank you for your comments, by the way. I really want this to work out as a game, and it's good to get these things balanced out now.

Nothing says the ponies just wouldn't be able to stand and run that way, though obviously if they're running on all fours they'd move faster. Closer to a horses movement speed. And if they're standing on two legs, they'd have average human, maybe dwarf movement speed.

Archived