Name: Bramble Rose

Sex: Male

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color: Purple

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Silver Mane, long, straight

Eye Color: Green

Cutie Mark: A rose surrounded by a heart-shaped thorny vine

Physique: Delicate, small

Origin: Dam (unicorn) is a tenured professor of magic, Sire (earth) is a travelling gunslinger adventurer

Occupation: Bramble takes small jobs wherever he can get the bits. Gathering rare materials for alchemists, modelling jobs, delivery jobs, landscaping and gardening positions, that sort of thing.

Motivation: Prove himself a big, strong stallion, like his sire.

Dislikes: Being the center of attention when *not* on a stage, being called feminine

Bramble Rose grew up mainly in the upper-class world of his dam, and influential intellectual, who was skilled at manuevering through the politics of the city. Bramble himself mostly learned to stay quiet and stay in the background. His sire was a wandering adventurer who was home only rarely, and the few times Bramble got to travel with him was VERY exciting.

Bramble had a good education, but followed a less common field of plant-magic, rather than the normal unicorn pursuits. He was always fascinated with plants - as his cutie mark shows - as well as the theory of aetheric sympathy, believing his skill with earth-magic is because of his father being an earth pony.

After graduation, he went off to travel and find new plants, catalog them for the university, and confirm or deny several sketchy reports of their effects. He found himself in a dark forest, the Everfree forest, and scrambling for his life. His childhood 'adventures' with his father had not prepared him for the true dangers in the world. Luckily for Bramble, he connected with a Timber Wolf while travelling that dark forest, making that magical connection in his panic, and the Timber Wolf protected him through those first few days he was lost. He has fallen into a few adventures here and there since then, though he never seeks them out - and the Timber Wolf has remained his true friend. Though he usually leaves the Timber Wolf outside, whenever he goes into town, so as not to cause a panic.

Alignment: Neutral Good

Deity:

Class: Druid 3 / Rogue 1

STR: 7 : -2

DEX: 12 : +1

CON: 10(-2)8 : -1

INT: 15 : +2

WIS: 15(+2)17: +3

CHA: 16 : +3

HP: 1d8(8) + 3d8 + con(-1*4) = 19 HP

AC: 10 (touch: 11 ) (flathoofed: 10 )

DR:

SPELL RESIST:

SPEED: 40

INIT: +2

FORT SAVE: -2+0+3 = +1

WILL SAVE: +3+0+3 = +6

RFLX SAFE: +1+2+1 = +4

BAB(melee): -2+0+2 = +0

BAB(ranged): +1+0+2 = +3

ATTACK(weapon):

SKILLS: (8+2) + (4+2)*3 +3 = 31

Acrobatics*:

Appraise*:

Bluff*:

Climb*:

Craft(Alchemist)* 1: (INT)+2 +3 +1

Diplomacy* 1: (CHA)+3 +3 +1

Disable Device*:

Disguise* 1: (WIS)+3 +3 +1

Escape Artist*:

Fly*:

Handle Animal* 3: (CHA)+3 +3 +3

Heal* 2: (WIS)+3 +3 +2

Intimidate*:

Knowledge(Arcana)* 3: (INT)+2 +3 +3

Knowledge(Nature)* 3: (INT)+2 +3 +3 (+2)

Knowledge(Nobility)* 1: (INT)+2 +3 +1

Linguistics*:

Perception* 1: (WIS)+3 +3 +1

Perform(Act)* 1: (CHA)+3 +3 +1

Perform(Dance)* 1: (CHA)+3 +3 +1

Perform(Sing)* 1: (CHA)+3 +3 +1

Profession(Gardener)* 4: (WIS)+3 +3 +4 (+2)

Ride*:

Sense Motive* 1: (WIS)+3 +3 +1

Sleight of Hand*:

Spellcraft* 3: (INT)+3 +3 +3

Stealth* 3: (DEX)+1 +3 +3

Survival* 1: (WIS)+3 +3 +1 (+2)

Swim*:

Use Magic Device*:

ABILITIES:

Cutie Mark: +2 to Profession: Gardening

Magic Tricks: Mage Hand at will, Light x3 a day

Sneak Attack +1d6

Trapfinding: +1 to perception(traps) / disable device. Can disarm magic traps

Nature Bond: Animal Companion

Nature Sense: +2 to Knowledge(nature) / Survival

Orisons: 0-level spells that are not expended when cast

Wild Empathy: d20+druid level+charisma to improve an animal's attitude

Woodland Stride: May move through natural undergrowth without limits or damage

Trackless Step: Leaves no trail in natural surroundings, cannot be tracked

FEATS:

Elemental Affinity: Your Animal Companion has a template applied to it (Wood Template)

+ Burn a spell slot of at least level 1 when casting Summon Nature's Allies to add the wood template to your summoned creatures.

Spell Focus(conjuration): +1 to creature's saves against being dispelled.

SPELLS:

0-level: 4

* Create Water ( create 2 gallons of water )

* Detect Magic

* Guidance ( +1 on any attack roll, saving throw, or skill check )

* Resistance ( +1 to saving throw )

1-level: 2 +1

* Entangle

* Goodberry

* Pass Without Trace

2-level: 1 +1

* Barkskin

* Wood Shape

GEAR

+1 Glamoured Leaf Barding (+4 AC) (4500 cgp)

Ioun Torch (Green Flame) (75 cgp)

Cure Light Wounds x4 (1d8+1 200 cgp)

Alchemist's Lab (Portable) (75 cgp)

Healer's Kit (50 cgp)

1100 cgp left over (I'll buy common gear later)

Thorn Blossom was a larger-than-usual Timber Wolf with a dark bluish-purple flower sprouting over her left ear, living a relatively normal life. After only a single season, and a single litter of seedlings, her mate had been killed by a manticore. While she was out looking for a new mate and pack, she felt a strange pull like that of warm sunlight, but in the middle of the night. She followed the pull and found a tiny pony, no bigger than her own seedlings, threatened by a pack of three-headed snakes. Thorn Blossom drove away those snakes, and now takes care of that tiny pony like he's her own seedling. He does need *so much* looking after, the poor dear is so sickly. He never seems to grow at all! She tries to teach him to hunt, but he just doesn't seem to understand what she's getting at. He's very good at watching over the trees, though - much stronger than any Timber Wolf she'd ever met in his connection to the forest. So there's that, at least.

Name: Thorn Blossom

Race: Timber Wolf

Sex: Female

Alignment: Neutral / Neutral

STR: 13(+1) = (+2)

DEX: 15(+1) = (+3)

CON: 15 = (+2)

INT: 2 = (-4)

WIS: 12 = (+1)

CHA: 6 = (-2)

HP: 3d8(+2*3) = 24 HP

AC: 17 (touch: 13) (flatfooted: 14)

DR:

SPELL RESIST:

SPEED: 25

INIT: +3

FORT SAVE: 2+3 = +5

WILL SAVE: 1+1 = +2

RFLX SAFE: 3+3 = +6

BAB(melee): 2+2 = +4

BAB(ranged): 2+3 = +5

ATTACK(bite): +4 (1d6+2 plus trip)

ATTACK(spikes): +5 (1d6+2) (up to 4 per round, up to 3 per day)

SKILLS:

Perception* 1: (Wis) 1 +1 +3 (+3) = +8

Stealth* 1: (Dex) 3 +1 +3 = +6

Survival* 1: (Wis) +1 +1 +3 = +5 (+4 scent)

SPECIAL ABILITIES:

Low-light vision

Scent (+4 to survival when tracking by scent)

Natural Armor +2 (to +4)

Str/Dex bonus: +1

Link

Share Spells

Evasion

Bonus Tricks: 2

Elemental: Immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. Not subject to critical hits.

Darkvision: 60 ft

Plant: Immune to polymorphing, not subject to mind influencing effects

Woodsense: Can sense anything within 60 feet that's touching vegetation

TRICKS:

Come

Defend

Down

+Attack(2)

FEATS:

Skill Focus: Perception

Might want to take a look at this Bramble. :3

Currency-

The typical currencies associated with pathfinder will be changed to a currency with the same monetary value, with different names to accomodate the new theme of the game.

• Copper Pieces will be referred to as bits. The smallest unit of currency. 10 bits can be exchanged for one Lunar Silver. If untrained in the perform skill, you can attempt an untrained check to earn 1d10 bits per day.
  • Silver Pieces will be referred to as Lunar Silver. The second smallest unit of currency. 10 Lunar Silver can be exchanged for 1 Celestian Gold. These coins bear the face of Princess Luna, Princess of the Moon and ruler of the night. During the Lunar New year celebration, good children are left a Lunar Silver piece under their pillows when they sleep if they have been good during the year, but receive only a bit if they have misbehaved. Ponies untrained in a craft can earn up to a silver piece per day working. Ponies trained in perform can make up to a 1d10, or a maximum 3d10 silver pieces in a day of performing in a moderately sized city. Ponies who constantly perform may also be invited to join a performing troupe and gain a regional reputation.
  • Gold Pieces will be referred to as Celestian Gold Pieces. The normal unit of currency for most adventurers. 10 Celestian gold is worth one Princess Platinum. These coins bear the face of Princess Celestia, Princess of the Sun and ruler of Equestria. It takes a week of honest work to make a Celestian Gold Piece. These are most often seen in Canterlot, where the richest of Dukes count their fortunes. Ponies trained in a craft can make half their crafting check result in gold pieces per week. Ponies who show exemplary skill in performing can make up to 1d6gp per day, and may gain the attention of nobility or come to be known in all of canterlot. Ponies who show otherworldly skill in performing can make up to 3d6gp per day, and may come to be known around the world, or may be requested to play in a different plane by extraplanar beings over time.
  • Princess Platinum, the rarest of currencies, are worth 10 Celestian gold pieces. Minted during the reign of Princess Platinum, and minted for her beauty, these are found in the oldest of treasure troves, and are no longer minted. These have become quite rare for collectors, and are worth ten times their weight in gold.

There are other currencies, specific to certain regions, with different exchange rates. However, those currencies are only accepted in those regions, so think before you trade your money to a different kind of currency.

Oh boy, more characters getting finished! Bramble, I hope you don't mind my character having a rose-and-thorns cutie mark. I was not trying to for stealing!

Also, what do you think of the idea that Bramble Rose and Ironmane have met before, perhaps on one of Bramble Rose's 'accidental adventures'?

Oh! What a coincidence!

Not to worry, the general theme seems to pop up a lot. I was the first, but apparantly many other ponies keep thinking of something similar. Bluebelle had a blue bell flower surrounded by a heart-shaped vine. Cross-Stitch, i think, has a spool of thread with the thread coming off and making a heart. So I'm rather used to similarities ... although yours is a different sort of similarity, i'll admit!

And in background ponies, we often see several background ponies with the same cutie mark, so hey, at least it's not that bad!

It's an interesting idea. They're certainly a pair, that's for certain - the delicate little stallion trying to act bigger, the large and powerful mare trying to act smaller ... caster and fighter. They're a pair of opposites, but they'd probably get along well together.

Nobody ever *wants* to adventure with weasely little Rogues. But they have to. Somepony needs to undo that trap, bluff their way past gaurds and backstab that Warlord before he turns the party into an adventurer and hamburger sandwich.

Besides, part of the fun in traveling with dastards is to discover that soft spot deep inside them!

Double besides, as far as the party knows, he was orphaned as a foal and learned to pickpocket as means to combat starvation. :D

I don't think you're quite catching my meaning.

Why would the party want to travel with *this* evil, conniving, backstabbing ******* instead of the charming, adventuring archeologist over there, or the roguish Robin-hood type sitting at the table back that ways? trap-clearing, guard-bluffing, warlord-backstabbing scoundrels are all over the place. What will make the group want to travel with *THIS* one?

I don't think you're quite catching my meaning.

Why would the party want to travel with *this* evil, conniving, backstabbing ******* instead of the charming, adventuring archeologist over there, or the roguish Robin-hood type sitting at the table back that ways? trap-clearing, guard-bluffing, warlord-backstabbing scoundrels are all over the place. What will make the group want to travel with *THIS* one?

Because he's still cracking jokes! In fact, he demands humor. Even from his enemies. Plus, working with a party + trying to win back his folks is going to teach this colt some much needed altruism. I would also hate to see what he would do to the thieves guild should they attack his "new family", once they teach him how not to be a jackass.

OK, so he tells jokes... that's... a bit scanty.

The rest of it doesn't answer the question. That's what you get from him joining the party, not what the party gets for letting him join.

Think ICly. Forget that we *have* to pick your rogue because you're a PC. Think of it in story terms. Why would a Paladin and a hard-working Druid want to have him along? What would make them go, "Hey, we could use your help, and you seem a decent fellow. Want to come along where we can trust our lives to you?"

Now, he's not off sacrificing to some dark god, so he's not really *evil*, but he's definitely on the darker side of neutral, and does not seem at all trustworthy enough to leave on night watch, much less entrusting their lives to him. Quite the opposite, they'd probably try to run him off if he chased after them.

From your lack of ability to answer the question, I take it that *right now*, he doesn't really have any good points. So why not add something in?

Suggestion:

Maybe he started thieving to take care of his ailing parents, when he couldn't hold down a job? Sure, he's a bit of a klepto - but it's more the fun of not being caught than the actual money involved. A lot of the time, when he finds that he's accidentally pickpocketed something, it's even *MORE* fun to put it back without being noticed! And now that his parents are in danger, there's very little money incentive at all - while he still has itchy hooves, his real focus is on saving his parents, not on collecting money. He's very aware that he's not a very good pony, and he'll make fun of himself a lot - the 'cracking jokes' - to hide that he really doesn't like where his life has led. But by golly, he'll use any skill he has in order to save his parents - except ... he's not used to having ponies trust him ... he could never betray that trust. It's too much like the life he wishes he had.

Something like that. Something that hints across when we 'sense motive' him, something which makes him feel less like the standard game-killing backstabbing pvp rogue. Right now, he's just laughter - but has no kindness, loyalty, honesty, or generosity. Of those, the easiest to add to his personality would be loyalty, and that'd be all we'd need to take him in.

I'm totally willing to say that Ironmane has encountered Curtain Call (love the name)--perhaps by catching him robbing her--and has determined herself to reform him, or at least show him a better path. Ooh, maybe she 'caught' him sharing some of his ill-gotten gains with someone in need. Or perhaps, in a momentary paign on conciensce, (or the all-too-common superstition Batman assures us criminals suffer from), he came into the Temple to pray or donate some money?

Game-killing backstabbing pvp rogue

This is the kind of character I try to avoid the most when starting games. I don't let players actively pursue vendettas against other player characters unless its okayed through me first, personally. PVP is not the point of Dungeons and Dragons.

Kirby from what it sounds your character is Chaotic Neutral, Borderline Neutral evil. Stealing to steal, stealing for personal gain to the detriment of others. These are the actions of an evil character. You're walking a thin line with your character, If you want to change him before the game starts, I suggest doing so. If other players think you're a backstabbing sort of character that will change the way they interact with you in game. There's a difference between loveable trickster and greedy backstabbing money-grubbing thief, and that difference is leagues.

This is the kind of character I try to avoid the most when starting games. I don't let players actively pursue vendettas against other player characters unless its okayed through me first, personally. PVP is not the point of Dungeons and Dragons.

Kirby from what it sounds your character is Chaotic Neutral, Borderline Neutral evil. Stealing to steal, stealing for personal gain to the detriment of others. These are the actions of an evil character. You're walking a thin line with your character, If you want to change him before the game starts, I suggest doing so. If other players think you're a backstabbing sort of character that will change the way they interact with you in game. There's a difference between loveable trickster and greedy backstabbing money-grubbing thief, and that difference is leagues.

Point taken. I'd hate to be that guy. Though, I am proud to say that, while I have always played CN Rogues, I have never once PVPed or abandoned a teammate. Or done something so malicious that it brought Royal Gaurds or Tiamat down upon our heads. I've played evil campaigns. I had little fun when we all hated eachother.

After rereading my summary, I realize that I didn't actually say what I wanted to say. Dang it. What I WANTED to say was: http://beta.abc.go.c.../jiminy-cricket plus http://oots.wikia.co...aley_Starshine. I failed. Revision time.

Edit: I have a book on writing fantasy characters. It's in a taped up box, at the bottom of a pile of other taped up boxes. Damn it.

Point taken. I'd hate to be that guy. Though, I am proud to say that, while I have always played CN Rogues, I have never once PVPed or abandoned a teammate. Or done something so malicious that it brought Royal Gaurds or Tiamat down upon our heads. I've played evil campaigns. I had little fun when we all hated eachother.

After rereading my summary, I realize that I didn't actually say what I wanted to say. Dang it. What I WANTED to say was: http://beta.abc.go.c.../jiminy-cricket plus http://oots.wikia.co...aley_Starshine. I failed. Revision time.

Edit: I have a book on writing fantasy characters. It's in a taped up box, at the bottom of a pile of other taped up boxes. Damn it.

I could tell from the kidnapped parents thing that you were sort of stealing a background from Haley Starshine. You should work a little bit harder to mask your background. If its obvious to me, I'm sure it would be obvious to anyone else reading your background who's read more than half of OOTS as well.

Curtain Call is good at lying. From the little ones, like "You have a spot on your shirt",

to "No officer, my parents are good and upstanding citizens! Just harmless street

performers them!". Spinning a good yarn just comes natural. Ma and Pa, good and upstanding

citizens that they were, decided to nuture these gifts the only way they knew how:

by putting him to work at their little traveling variety show in which audience

members had their pockets picked clean of anything and everything shiny and valuable.

Ma and Pa explained that they were doing those ignorant pony-folk a favor. Anypony

who let their precious collectables be lifted so easily deserved to lose them. And

next time, well, they would be that much wiser. Spreading wisdom and common sense,

that's what mom and pop did. And lined their own pockets for their trouble. Did little

Curtain Call like it? "I guess". No real choice in the matter. And despite being

constantly on the move (on the run) in that little stagecoach, he had a good life.

The three always ate together. Slept together. Shared jokes and sang songs around the

campfire together. Often times, more than one of them would wake up in the morning,

put on their silly costume hats and end up with a face full of sneezing powder. Ma

and Pa, despite being money-grubbing little weasels, loved their son. And he loved

them.

They're cornered one day.

The day starts out fine. There's juggling and puppets and bad puns galore and Curtain

Call sticking his hooves into the napsacks of the unwitting. But a problem arises, when

unwitting napsack du jour belongs to a member of the local thieves guild. Never lie to

a liar, Curtain Call learns quickly, and the whole family is now in deep manure. Oh,

Ma and Pa are no strangers to adventure and they did indeed teach little Curtains a

thing or two about stabbing the unfriendly, but alas. Ma and Pa and Curtain Call are

taken before the big boss Stallion whose first order of business is to toss the eldest

two captees into a holding cell and the youngest into the dirt.

"Want to see your folks again, foal? Thought so. I guess you work for us now. I better

start seeing the bits roll in, and quick. Now get out of here before these two get the

business end of a rusty shiv."

Curtain Call is alone now, for the first time. Travelling with Ma and Pa lent no time

for friends. There was no more family to call. To tattle to local authorities would both

risk his parents' life and probably put himself in trouble, what with the thievery and all.

So it's back to what he's good at. There's a problem though. His treasure has been

taken from him and now taking treasures from others leaves a bad taste in his mouth

he just can't put his hoof on.

Despite reluctance, Curtain Call is a big earner. He wins every big score and pockets

every bit, giving absolutely everything to the Guild, often leaving himself going to

bed hungry. But it's worth it, he tells himself before sleep. He loves his parents, and

they're counting on him.

This is what he tells himself every day now, since one day, bringing in his latest sack

of loot, he overhears his parents. They're not crying for help, or crying in anguish.

In fact, they're laughing and making merry with their captor. The plan is working better

than they could have dreamed, they say. The dept they owed has been paid off ages ago but

profits have through the roof. Best to let the idiot keep working for a while longer.

He's alone again, having skipped town completely. He continues to steal for a living.

He tells himself that his parents love him, that the money is for them. Curtain Call is

good at lying.

I hope I passed the audition.

I have to admit, I was getting a Haley vibe from your story as well. Nice to see I wasn't off. :) It's not a bad thing to borrow stories, and make them your own. And I'm glad you reworked your story a bit - it's mixed together better, and your character is a lot more sympathetic. Nicely done. That's a character I can adventure with! ^_^

Well here is my character hopefully I got everything.

Name: Sir Knightly

Species: Pegasus

Pelt Color: White

Mane/Tail Color & Style: Crimson Red

Eye Color: Blue

Cutie Mark: Two swords crossing

Physique: Hes a bit taller then regular ponies and hes of normal sized physique.

Residence: Ponyville

Occupation: He is a wanderer that likes to help any pony that needs help.

Motivation: His father was also a wanderer and he wanted to aspire to his dads merits.

Dislikes: bullies, and evil ponies

Character Summary: Sir Knightly lived in the mountains before he started travailing. He was only with his mother at first because his father would be out wandering. His father would come back and visit every now and a gain for at least a month and then go travel again. After Sir Knightly got of age he left and started traveling himself. He got to Canterlot and wanted to be in the Knights. He joined them and with great experience and help he got up to be a personal Knight to the Princess. He loved serving under the Princess she was a kind caring boss. Eventually he retired though and went back to wandering. He retired because there was an indecent that put the princess in danger that he thought was his fault even though the Princess didn't blame him. After all of that he eventually found Ponyville and decided to settle down there. He now likes to watch the sky in the fields of Ponyville and make friends with the citizens. He also helps other ponies out with different odd jobs around town when they need help.

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Deity: Commander Hurricane

Class: Fighter 4

STR: 18 +4

DEX: 16 +3

CON: 12 +1

INT: 09 -1

WIS: 10 +0

CHA: 8 -1

HP: 22

AC: 19 (touch: 14 ) (flathoofed: 16 )

DR: 0/ +0

SPELL RESIST: 0

SPEED: Ground: 40 Air: 60

INIT: 3

FORT SAVE.....4+1 = +5

WILL SAVE.....1+0 = +1

RFLX SAFE.....1+3 = +4

BAB: +4

Grapple: 4+4=8

ATTACK(weapon): Weapon

Attack Bonus: 8

Damage: 1d8

Critical: 19-20 X2

Range: melee

Type: slashing

Skills: 7

Climb: 4+1=5

Craft (Armor Smithing): -1+1=0

Handle Animal: -1+1=0

Intimidate: -1+1=0

Knowledge (dungeoneering): -1+1=1

Knowledge (engineering): -1+0=-1

Profesion ( ): 0+0=0

Ride: 3+1=4

Survival: 0+0=0

Swim: 4+1=5

Special Abilities:

Weapon Proficiany (simple and martial)

Armor Proficiancy (all)

Low Light Vision

Feat:

Dodge

Mobility

Endurance

Diehard

Improved Unarmed

Bravery

Armor Training

Armor: Breast Plate

Trype: Medium

AC Bonus: +5

Max Dex: +4

Check Penalty: -3

Spell Failure: 25%

Speed: 30

Weight: 30

Language:

Equestrian

For the record, I read OotS, and the idea that it was based on Haley didn't cross my mind. It retrospect, yeah it was similar, but I'm sure there have been characters with similar backstories before. It's not like Rich has copyrighted it.

And there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration for characters from elsewhere.

Kirby, I really like the background you put together above. Intriguing, with a nice twist. I'm looking forward to seeing where Curtain Call goes in life! Hopefully Ironmane can be a good influence on him.

Holy, I love the name "Sir Knightly"! Oh, that's awesome. I think he's another character who could easily know, or at least have worked with, Ironmane, Bramble Rose, or both. And at Charisma eight, I'm curious whether he's an arrogant ass, acts like Napoleon Dynamite, is just plain ugly, or what.

Archived