The Perfect Gift [CrossStitch, Conor Colton]

CrossStitch

Gladwin waited in the town square, tapping one of his claws against the cold concrete below him. He was waiting on a certain someone. A certain someone who was late. His eagle eyes scanned the crowd around him for the all to familiar colt that he knew as 'Colton.' Without so much as a sign of him, he let out a sigh. "You would think shopping for presents would pry him from that pony..." He said, looking around some more.

Gladwin was in a bit more festive attire; He wore a red and green scarf around his neck, and also a red Santa hat atop his head. He wasn't really wanting to wear it, but Holly said it would look cute on him, so he took her word. He wasn't much one for fashion, so he had no idea what looked good and what looked bad. At least he looked into the spirit of things.

Gladwin had privately sent Colton a message, making sure neither Flux nor Holly caught sight or sound of it. The message read:

"Colton, I had a great idea. We should do some gift shopping later today while I'm free. I just realized I never got Holly anything for Hearth's Warming Eve, and I can only guess you didn't get Flux anything either. Meet me at the center of town at around 2:00 PM, and we'll find something for the mares.

PS: Don't let Flux know where you're going or you'll ruin the surprise."

His claw continued tapping, "At this rate it'll be time to open presents before we actually get them..." He said with a sigh.

Colton Cloudkicker was racing through the crowded streets of Canterlot, he was accompanied by his pet bird Sparks who was lagging behind as the pegasus desperately flew through the crowd in hopes of reaching his destination in time. Colton had got Gladwin's letter just fine but he was up late helping Flux with an experiment and as a result he slept in. The pegasus had only managed to get basic winter clothing, just a simple coat and scarf.

As the two raced through the crowds of shoppers about a million questions at once entered the pegasus' head, Will Gladwin still be there? Am I too late? What will I get Flux for hearth's warming? Why didn't I get her anything for Hearth's warming?! Colton said as he mentally yelled at himself. When the pegasus and the bird reached the square it was almost filled to the brim with ponies with the same goal as Colton, "Okay....it shouldn't be hard to see a griffin in all this....right?" Colton said to himself in hopeful self reassurance.

The two searched and searched but couldn't find any sign of Gladwin, so they decided to ask somepony if they had seen them. Over the crowd Colton managed to pick out what looked like a Santa hat, "Oh good, that guy's probably a street performer, he would have been here a while, let's see if he saw Gladwin." Colton said to Sparks as they literally 'followed the hat'. When the two reached the hat Colton spoke up, "Uh excuse me sir? You wouldn't happened to have seen a gr-" Colton stopped himself and observed that this 'street performer' had talons instead of hooves, having not met another griffin besides Gladwin Colton assumed that this was his friend, he chuckled before he continued, "Gladwin.....what is that on your head?" Colton stated as Sparks broke down in hysteric on top of Colton's head.

Gladwin narrowed his sharp eagle eyes as the pony in front of him broke out into hysterics. "Holly said it would look nice..." He said, staring through Colton. "I don't know hay about fashion, so I just went with it." He rolled his eyes and began to walk off. "Can we hurry though? I'd really like to finish this before nightfall..." Gladwin was still a bit upset, but after a bit of walking he calmed down. He let out a small breath, "So, anyways, what are you going to get Flux for Hearth's Warming Eve?" He asked turning his head see Colton following behind him.

• Like 1

Colton broke out of his hysterics when Gladwin explained why he had the hat, "Oh....right.....Well I guess that makes sense." Colton stated as he still snickered between words. He composed himself though when Gladwin got right to the matter at hand, the shopping. When the griffin asked what Colton was planning on getting Flux for Hearth's warming the pegasus' mind drew a blank, he bit his lower lip in this realization and turned to Gladwin to respond.

"Uh.....I don't actually know..." Colton said as he gritted his teeth in shame, "I didn't really think about it until you said it just now but it seems my minds drawing a blank here buddy." Colton said as he sighed, "It's easy for you Gladwin, you obviously know what to get Holly, me on the other hand, Flux is a bit hard to read sometimes." The pegasus sighed once again in hopelessness, "I don't know what she would like.... jewellery maybe....a stuffed animal....I honestly don't know."

Gladwin let out a noise similar to a 'Pffft', "As if I know what to get, Holly." He said with a laugh.

The thought then actually began to grow in his mind. He had NO idea what to get Holly. What did Holly like...? She liked her new dog, she liked fruit, she liked Gladwin. A fruit basket...? He raised an eyebrow almost in disbelief that the brain he had was his own. "Ugh..." He finally said, fed up with his blockage of ideas. "Let's just start looking around, maybe we'll find something..." The griffin began walking the streets looking into shop windows. A dress? Jewelry? Maybe a new scarf? Gladwin scratched his chin pondering.

"We're hopeless, Colton." he said with a defeated sigh.

"Yeah...we really are..." Colton stated with a sigh similar to Gladwin's. Where on earth would they find a present as they found themselves rather late to the party as it would seem as most stores were practically plucked clean.

Colton didn't stop his search though, he watched the square like a hawk, as did Gladwin....well Gladwin watched it more like an eagle but that's beside the point. Eventually though Sparks had managed to see something of interest, he tugged on Colton's ear as he pointed to it, "Oh boy...what is it? If your leading me on again you're in serious trou-" Colton's mouth was left open and his eyes were wide as he stared at what the sparrow was pointing at, it was an advertisement that read 'Royal Canterlot Necklaces' On display were diamond encrusted necklaces with two symbols on each, one representing Luna which was in silver and was the shape of a moon, and one representing Celestia made of gold and in the shape if a sun.

"Gladwin! Come over here! I found it, this is gonna be perfect I just know Flux will love it." Colton said excitedly.

Gladwin leaned in and read the advertisement, "Huh, that looks cool." He said, inspecting the necklace.

His mind wasn't fully processing what he was looking at or saying. It was hard at work deciding on what would be a good gift for Holly. He continued observing the necklace, humming with thought. Then it hit him like a bolt of lightening. He reach his talon out and pressed it against Colton in a 'Stop the presses!' sort of manner, "Colton, I know what I'm getting Holly!" He turned from the advertisement to look at Colton, "Hold on to your hooves, I'm about to be brilliant!" He said, enthusiastically. He then realized he was gripping Colton by the shirt collar. He let go with a nervous laugh and then turned back to the advertisement, "But...Let's go get that necklace first!" A sheepish grin accompanied his face as he began to enter the shop.

Colton had a blank expression as the griffin lifted him off the ground, he didn't have a chance to say anything before he was put back down, "Do me a favour will ya buddy..." Colton said as he rubbed his neck, "Please don't do that again." Colton stated with an equally sheepish grin.

When the two entered Colton headed straight for the front desk of the jewellery shop, leaving Gladwin to observe the many garnishes that covered the store shelves.

"Uh excuse me Ma'am, I'd like to buy one of those 'Royal Canterlot Necklaces'?" After a few minutes of conversation involving some hefty bargaining Colton finally got what he came for. He strutted proudly up to Gladwin and presented the necklace, "What do you think man? You think Flux'll like it?"

Gladwin looked closely at the necklace. It didn't look as marvelous as the advertisement played out, but then again what did? It still looked amazing though, and was obviously well made. He leaned back and nodded, "I think she will love it!" He said with a big grin.

Gladwin began to walk out of the store, "Now come on! We need to go find a place that sells cameras!" Gladwin could see that Colton was a tad confused at where he was going with this line of thought. Gladwin only laughed, "Trust me, I got a good idea." He left the store and began walking the streets, "Now where could I find a camera...?" He asked, looking back and forth.

Colton was pleased with Gladwin's conformation of the jewellery, he held it up infront of Sparks for the final run through. The bird responded in suit with a nod and what could only be described as a 'wings-up' He sighed in relief that the two of them thought so, as he sighed thoughts ran through his head on how beautiful this would look on Flux, "Gladwin this is per-" Colton stopped himself and rubbed his ears before responding.

"Wait...did you say cameras?" Colton asked as Gladwin told Colton to trust him on this one, Colton wasn't one for abandoning his friends no matter how odd their ideas might be...., "Well I think I say a place that sold cameras a while back, come on!" Colton said as he quickly slipped the necklace back into it's case and led Gladwin to the store he saw earlier.

"Yes, yes! A Camera! I have a master plan, Colton!" Gladwin said in a confident tone. He was sure that this idea would be great... He hoped...

They eventually reached the store Colton mentioned. 'Picture Perfect,' the sign read. Gladwin nodded and entered the store, a little jingle from the bell accompanied his entry. He began looking around excitedly, but eventually decided going to the cashier would be the best idea as he had NO clue about anything when it came to cameras...

"Excuse me, sir." Gladwin said, trying to implore his new Canterlotish diction.

"Oh, welcome to Picture Perfect, how may I help... you?" The stallion looked up, only to find a griffin. He was a little shocked, but struggled to keep it in as not to upset the customer.

"I need a camera, one that can print the photo off as soon as you take it." Gladwin said, not exactly knowing the terminology to use.

The pony looked pretty confused, as those cameras must not be something that were asked for often, he nonetheless retrieved such a camera for the griffin, and brought it out for him, "Will this do?" The pony said, raising the camera up and snapping a quick shot of Gladwin. A small picture of Gladwin printed out the bottom of the camera, a picture of Gladwin looking slightly surprised.

Gladwin couldn't help but laugh at the picture, which caused the other pony to begin to smile. "Yeah! That's perfect!" Gladwin paid for the camera, and he was then on his way.

Once outside he turned to Colton, "Step two! We need two lockets!" Gladwin said, triumphantly. "Any ideas, pal?"

Colton looked confused at Gladwin as he said he had a 'master-plan' but didn't have time to question it as the griffin seemingly was in a rush to find a camera. As the walked towards the store Colton couldn't help but look at the necklace every few seconds, it wasn't priceless of course but Colton was just happy and confident that he had choose a good gift for Flux.

When the two entered the store Colton barely had any time to look at the wares on display before Gladwin was finished with his business, Okay what the hay is going on here? He thought as he wondered why the griffin was in such a rush. When Colton was addressed by Gladwin outside the store the pegasus saw this as an opportunity to find out what was going on.

He stated clearly to Gladwin, "Yeah I think I saw some lockets just down the street." Colton said as he pointed in the general direction, "But before we go anywhere, can I ask what the heck is going on? What is this 'master plan' if it involves any of us I think I should know at least." Colton said in a assuming town to the the frantic griffin.

Gladwin nodded, and laughed as he realized he had never said anything about what his plan was. "OK, check this out..." He said as he raised the camera and quickly snapped a picture of Colton. A small picture of Colton looking just as surprised as Gladwin earlier printed out. He held it in one talon and pointed at it, "Cut out the image of you, stick it in a locket, then Flux would have a picture of you wherever she went." He put the camera back in his bag, "I'm going to get a picture of me and Holly, and then put a picture of each of us in a locket." He said with a smile, confident that his plan was a good one. "I guess I could pick up a scrapbook too..." He scratched his chin as he began thinking, "Yeah...That sounds good!" His smile began growing into a look of cleverness.

"Colton! We need to find a place that sells scrapbooks!" He said with a more excited tone then previously. Gladwin looked up to see they were at the same shop still, the photography shop. Gladwin gave an embarrassed laugh and then went back in the store.

After a few moments, he emerged with a scrapbook, and a pleasant smile. "OK, NOW I need some lockets!"

Colton eyes blinked frantically after the surprise photograph, he then observed the surprised image of himself and the listened to Gladwin's explanation of his plan. Afterwards Colton thought the idea over and responded promptly, "You sure Flux will like that...Holly would probably love it but...." Colton stopped himself as he stroked his chin in thought then pulled out the necklace, "I just want Flux to know I care about her...That's why this thing...which cost me a fortune by the way." Colton stopped and composed himself.

"I just don't know if Flux would be a fan of something so personal like that." Colton said as he sulked and observed the necklace, then an idea cam into the pegasus' mind, "Wait wait wait wait! Gladwin..do you think it's possible to get a locket attached to one of these necklaces?!" The pegasus asked with great anticipation.

Gladwin shrugged, "Maybe? I'm not into that stuff." He said as he began walking.

"I was really just using that as an example." Gladwin said as he handed the photo to Colton for him to keep. "But if you think Flux would like it, go for it." Gladwin gave a wink to Colton, urging the pony to do what he wanted.

"Now, be a pal and show me where I can get a locket." The griffin gave Colton a playful nudge.

Colton felt uplifted and embraced the spirit of the season in a way he never thought possible. He jumped up from his sulking position with his chest out to show he was ready and wiling to make the perfect gift, just the mere thought of seeing Flux wearing that necklace motivated him to keep going, "Come on Gladwin! This way!" Colton said as he zoomed on ahead.

He searched about frantically for the store he mentioned earlier and when he saw it he ground his flight to a stop, looking at the store again he realized something....this is the jewellery store that they were just at, "Ahh..." Colton said as he face-hoofed and waited for Gladwin to catch up.

Gladwin smiled and galloped after Colton, laughing the whole way. His legs eventually tired so he resorted to flying. He was never much one for using his legs much...

They eventually reached the store. After a closer look, Gladwin realized it was the same jewelry store they were at earlier. "Oh, right..." Gladwin said as he held back laughter. He felt like an idiot for not thinking about the same store they were at.

Gladwin entered the store, accompanied with the same jingle as the camera store. The cashier looked up and instantly recognized them, then again who forgets a griffin in a town full of ponies?

"Need something else, sirs?" The woman said.

"Actually yeah. I'm looking for two matching lockets, about this big..." He used his talons to demonstrate the size he was looking for.

The pony nodded and walked off as Gladwin waited patiently. She eventually returned holding two lockets. They were exact copies of each other, except for one difference; They were two separate pieces of one heart. When put together, they formed a full heart. Gladwin awed over how well it fit his plan.

"That's perfect!" He said in astonishment, making the cashier jump a bit. He nervously laughed again, "I mean, that's perfect. Thanks." He spoke more quietly this time. Gladwin paid for the two lockets and tucked them away in his bag, happy that his master plan was complete.

"And you, Colton? You getting anything?" He asked with a tilt of his head.

Colton released his disgraced hoof from his face as Gladwin walked back inside the previously visited shop. As the griffin went to speak with the shop keeper Colton looked around for anything nice, he had already gotten the necklace but he felt like there was something missing, but no matter how hard he tried he just couldn't put his hoof on it, but then out of nowhere, it hit him!

As he thought this over though his thoughts were interrupted by Gladwin asking if there was anything else, "Uh...yeah actually." Colton said as he removed the necklace from his pocket once again and presented it to the cashier, "Do you do engravings?"

"Why yes sir..would you like that necklace of yours engraved?" The cashier asked eagerly.

"Yes, but that's not all, I would like an addition as well please...Just over there I saw a pendant in the shape of a comet, I want the initials 'CC' and 'QF' engraved on it and it put in between the pendants that are already on there." Colton said as the cashier stared back at him confused.

"That's oddly specific sir..." The cashier stated as she showed a sign of reluctance.

"I know but it's for somepony very important to me, please, I need this." Colton pleaded with cashier.

"Okay sir.....but it'll be expensive." The cashier said as she walked off to arrange the necessary parts and took the necklace with her. Colton breathed a sigh of relief and looked back at Gladwin.

".....What?" He said unaware of how much of a big request he just made.

Gladwin shook his head, "N-Nothing!" He laughed lightly.

Gladwin couldn't help but smile though. It was obvious Colton really liked Flux. In fact, Gladwin would go as far as to say he loved her. It made Gladwin happy to see others happy, "I hope you and Flux have a happy life." Gladwin said. The sentence didn't come from his brain though, it came from his heart. He had said it without thinking, but he wasn't embarrassed. He just continued smiling, happy that Colton had someone.

"Thanks Gladwin." The pegasus remarked with a smile, "For a second there I though I looked like a mor-" Colton stopped himself though when Gladwin made his final statement, "Did...did you say a happy life?" Colton stood there with his mouth open, still trying to process what was just said.

He turned around and rested his hooves on the counter and began to think, A happy life....? He thought, A life...with Flux? Colton said as he smiled slightly, But would that mean no more travelling? No more adventure? Colton asked himself as he looked over a Sparks who in his mind was the very definition of the word 'adventurous'......I just don't know, he though as he stared down at the counter.

As he did though the cashier flung the finished necklace in front of Colton, Well that was fast! He thought he began to examine the necklace and then he remembered why he asked for a comet. Suddenly memories of the time Colton and Flux first met each other, the clothing store, the tower,....the hospital, himself telling Flux about his feelings....and then there was a comet.

Colton smiled as he put the necklace in his pocket and paid the cashier, in his heart the pegasus knew what really made him happy, he turned to Gladwin with a sincere, "Thanks....I hope you and Holly have a good life too, ah who am I kidding I don't gotta hope, you guys are all over each other." Colton said as he playfully nudged the griffin.

"Yeah, I did say that." He said with a warm smile, it was kind of funny to see Colton suddenly catch on to what the Griffin meant.

Gladwin then watched as many feelings overcame Colton, but Gladwin dared not to interrupt him. He knew what deep thought looked like, because Gladwin did it all the time. He eventually saw Colton come to a conclusion in his thoughts, and Gladwin gave a silent nod of approval, knowing that the pony made the right choice.

Gladwin didn't expect to have the same compliment turned to him though. Gladwin had never really thought about a life with Holly, except for that time in the igloo. Any other time, he was just happy to be with her at that one moment. But he smiled, nonetheless. He knew what he wanted, "Thanks..." He said. His face turned red though as Colton added the last part about them being all over each other. "I-I have no idea what you're talking about!" He said out loud as many thoughts that proved otherwise came to mind.

Colton stared at the griffin with a smug look on his face, as did Sparks. The pegasus and the bird nodded at each other as Colton spoke up, "Oh please Gladwin....you two are crazy for each other." The pegasus stated in a clear tone of voice, "Ever since you guys met in that Doughnut shop you couldn't keep your eyes off of each other." He said as he playfully nudged the now blushing griffin.

"I mean whenever you guys are around I might as well carry an umbrella and a bunch of napkins just to keep all the drooling you two do for each other at bay." Colton said in an over-exaggerated tone. He stopped though, figuring he made his point and opened the door to the outside.

He looked back at Gladwin and said one more thing, "What are you doing just standing there blushing lover boy?! We got mares that we wanna see again don't we?" Colton said as he was accompanied by Sparks at the door, "Then let's get out there and make this a Winter Solstice to remember." Colton said eagerly as he was now full of life.

Gladwin blushed even harder. Were they really like that around each other? He placed a talon over his face, attempting to hide his blush.

But Colton was right, ever since Gladwin met Holly, he couldn't help but to like her. Anytime she was around, she was what he looked at. A small smile crept up his face as he dropped his talon to the floor. Gladwin shrugged and laughed, "What can ya do? I'm in love." He said with a heftier laugh. He had never admitted it out loud, let alone in his mind. The confession made his heart jump and made his vision blur for a split second from the sudden rush of blood.

He began to follow Colton out of the store, and then out into the cold winter streets of Canterlot, "I guess that's everything then." He said with a nod, re-checking his list of things mentally. "Any place else you'd like to visit? Looks like we still have a bit of time left." Gladwin looked up to the sun, judging the time of day.

Colton smiled back at his friend and smiled as he finally admitted it, "Ah...I knew it! Ya big softy!" Colton stated playfully as he walked out the store with the griffin. Gladwin's last statement had Colton drew a mental blank unsure what to do, "I don't think so.....wait a second....WAIT A SECOND!" Colton said with great excitement and flew up and grabbed Gladwin by the griffins scarf, "I got it! The perfect gift." Colton said as he stared to what gave him his idea in the first place, the top of Canterlot castle.

"Remember when I told you about the top of the castle when we were in the Hospital that one time?! Well now we're gonna do something about it." The pegasus stated as he thought over his plan, "Gladwin...I need you to find a few things...four chairs.....two tables.....and a balcony, don't ask! Just do it!" Colton said as he flew in the opposite direction.

"I'll get the decorations!" He shouted as he turned back to Sparks, "Come on buddy! We got some work to do!" Colton stated eagerly as he flew to do said work.

(( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TitleDrop ))

Gladwin sat in place, dumbfounded for a few seconds, "WHERE AM I GOING TO FIND A BUCKING BALCONY!?" he called to the now far off Colton.

Gladwin let out a sigh of frustration and began to trot off, wondering where he would find such things.

Gladwin began questioning a few ponies on the streets, but he was mostly met with confused glances or he was outright ignored. Eventually though, he made a breakthrough. He was directed to a furniture store named 'Tables and Chairs, sister company of Quills and Sofas,' Gladwin couldn't help but laugh at the rather literally named store.

He entered the store and a bell jingled to alert all of his arrival, did EVERY store have a bell in this town? He approached who he assumed was the owner, "Excuse me, I'm looking for four chairs, and two tables... Preferably light..." He said under the sudden realization HE would have to be carrying them. It was not that he wished Holly was here with her cart.

After many questions and many table options, he finally settled on some chairs and tables. He was assisted with his load on the way out, but now that he was on the street, he had no idea where to take the tables to, or how he would get them there. He let out a sigh, "Colton, you'd better have a good reason for this, and you'd better HURRY UP!" He shouted.