Which of mane six do you think appeals most to the target audience?

knight

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which pony do you believe, based on the show, is most appealling to MLP:FIM's ACTUAL target audience? (Girls 4-12)

• Pinkie Pie
    • Rarity
    • Applejack
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Fluttershy
    • Twilight Sparkle
  2. 2. Which pony, based off ONLY appearance (say on the toy box) do you think would appeal most to the target audience?

• Pinkie Pie
    • Rarity
    • Applejack
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Fluttershy
    • Twilight Sparkle

Okay, please do NOT vote for YOUR favorite pony before reading!!

Okay, the target audience of My Little Pony is little girls ages 4-12 or so. SOO, question 1:

Which pony do you think is most appealing to that age group? For example, for a 6 year old girl to watch this show on the hub, which pony do you think would be most appealing to the youth of today?

Question 2:

Which pony of all of these do you think a little girl would pick out at Target on the shelf, if based on only appearance on the box? Even if you are not an avid collector, everypony on this site knows what the mane six look like, and their picture is on the toy box for the toys. Based on ONLY that appearance, what toy do you think they would select?

I'm thinking it would have to be Rainbow Dash... She has such a huge fanbase. Not to mention that non-bronies could know who that was without even knowng the show.

Depends on the kid really. They all appeal to some girl in that age range.

I personally think rainbow dash is the most popular though overall. Not sure why, it is just a feeling. (Among the target audience)

I said Pinkie pie for the TV show, since kids always love the random character. the random characters are always the ones exploited for specials, sequels and TV shows (penguins and the lemurs from Madagascar, donkey from Shreck, etc.)

I chose RD for the toy because the toy looks really girly. she has rainbow hair (always a plus for kids) and her eyes are very soft and girly looking in the toy. if the kid has seen the show, my vote switches to Pinkie, because she's pink and random.

I vote Pinkie Pie on both.

She's cheerful. She sings happy, peppy songs. She's funny. She loves parties. Everything about her makes me think she appeals to young female audiences. When it comes to the toys, she's pink. That gives her an advantage over the others right there.

Of course, that's just in general. Certain young girls will identify more with other characters; that's the nature of the series.

I, personally, voted Pinkie Pie for the show, just cuz....well, her character seems to be driven towards little girls and making everyone HAPPY! :3 I think, based off the show, most young girls still haven't gotten to the point where they know that it's 'okay' not to like the girly pink things, and are still in the phases of thinking that there's something 'wrong' with being a tomboy--which is what Dash is, and that is why I highly disagree with a six year old thinking a boy-like pony is best.

For toy, I voted Rarity. On the box is a big picture of the animated version of the pony, and I think pretty frilly Rarity would be most appealing as a doll to play with. She looks so stylish, and her cutie marks are DIAMONDS. I mean....what are a girl's best friend if not that?

Personally:

Q1: I think Fluttershy would appeal most to girls of that age group. When my sister was that age, she loved animals, especially bunnies. In that age group they're looking for cute. Not smart or energetic or fashionable. Cute.

Q2: This, however, I'd have to go with Rainbow Dash. While Fluttershy would be most appealing on television to that age group, they may go for Dash as a toy because she's colorful. Simple.

This was an interesting and challenging question. It has been a long time since I was a little girl.

For the first one, I was at a complete loss. I think I picked TS because she is cute, ties them together, and is quite relate-able. After seeing the poll, and reading the comments, I am doubting myself further.

I vote Pinkie Pie on both.

She's cheerful. She sings happy, peppy songs. She's funny. She loves parties. Everything about her makes me think she appeals to young female audiences. When it comes to the toys, she's pink. That gives her an advantage over the others right there.

Yeah, my arguments feel pretty flat comparatively. The only thing to say in response is: if I think she is annoying, I she might be annoying to little girls too".

The second one though, I felt pretty confidant on: FS

And then I saw the poll and am second guessing myself again.

Really guys? Pink on Pink tops pink on yellow with wings and butterflies? Maybe it does, but it surprises me. I Rainbows are cool and all, but the blue body makes me suspect FS would top RD as well.

Sooooo out of my league here.

Sooooo out of my league here.

My thoughts exactly.

Q1

I dont really have any idea... Fluttershy? but I doubt that young girls like shy-ness. RD? her tomboyishness might make young girls not like her or someth- what am I saying, I have no idea. ehhhhhhh, that one. Twilight, I guess?

Q2

I think pinkie. I actually think that Dashie would come in rather low on the list due to her... oh ponyfeathers, whats the word? To her posture, shape of her actions and due to the poses she makes. I dunno, girls that age might not see her tomboyishness (if it comes across in her pose) as something they should like/identify/care about. Also blue may be a negative, but the only young girl that I can base this decision on is my 12yr old cousin, who LOVES pink and purple... she made her parents re-paint her room hot pink.

Its up in the air for me, between Twilight, Pinkie and Rarity. Voted Pinkie

I really have no idea :blush:

I'm agreeing with the majority that I think Pinkie appeals to the target demographic the most (discouting her breakdown in Part of One, in which case I think she would seriously creep out some of the younger kids - at that oone point probably rarity since popular view if girls should be into fashion) Second place ties with Rarity for prestated reason or with flutershy due to how so many young girls are shy and quiet (Though like pinky she has her eppisode (At the Gala) where I think she could seriously creep out little kids... (honestly all of them have these moments except Dash who simply goes catatonic under stress and AJ who just becomes either snappy and slightly violent or borderline drunk...) I think there is only a very small minorty of nerdy girls who would like twilight, and a LOT of them would be pushed away by how often she has psychotic breakdowns (even discounting her completely unhinged Lesson Zero, she still gets a little creepy every few episodes and practically EVERY episode she's the central pony)

Second I chose rarity because, as stated above girls are 'supposed' to like frilly fashionista stereotypes and rarity iirc is still the frilliest of the ponies in toy form (though its hard to say since they're all still the 'traditional' pony style minus the molded plastic toys...) my second guess would be either pinkie or dash since all girls like pink (ex: pink celestia *shudder*) or failing that if they're not familiar with the show and dont know who the lad-ette is, they'll be drawn to the most colorful pony, which without any question is Rainbow Dash.

Just throwing it out there, another reason I voted Rarity for toy is because she's a UNICRON!!! I mean, when looking at a toy, to put it simply, Earth Ponies would look terribly BORING, and sure, pegasi are COOL but--who needs wings when you have a boundless imagination and there's a pony who can do MAGIC?! She could MAKE herself fly with her magical powers! And she's purtier than the image of Dash. (Just so everypony knows, the picture of Dash on the box does NOT depict any sort of tomboyish nature. she's just standing there smiling. She looks just like everypony else.) Where Rarity is standing elegantly with her hair flipped and eye towards the--well, children--and she has eyeshadow and diamonds--oh my!

I know this won't account really towards anything having to do with the target audience...but....when I put on my secret santa list (at work) that I collect My little Pony toys, the girl bought me Rarity....but she's an adult....so....*shrug*

Just throwing it out there, another reason I voted Rarity for toy is because she's a UNICRON!!!

ah, I forgot to take that into account D: I definitly have thought about that before this topic was made.

mm, but I'd still have to say my vote goes to RD, simply because Rarity is white. when I was little, I never would've chosen the white toy because it was just so boring.

but, the argument of unicorn vs pegasus or earth pony could possibly switch my vote to Twilight...

Pinkie and Fluttershy.

Though by beauty of intelligent character design, all the ponies are appealing to different girls in different ways (and different age ranges as well; a 5-year-old might find Pinkie more appealing while a 7 or 8-year-old might go for one of the other Mane Six).

I suppose, with the toys, you'd TECHNICALLY have to take into consideration all of the non-existant in-show extra ponies that they make, because many of them have much more fun and exciting color schemes....cuter cutie marks....etc. BUT, gah, I'd hate to name all of them. And plus, any non-collector/toy lover would not even know one from the other! >3< And it'd make everything more difficult, I guess.

.....I'd vote for Cupcake.

1. Had to go with Twilight on this one. Being the main character, she's the one who gets the most screentime. With the most dialogue, and her relationship with the other characters, little girls would likely see her as a mentor of a sort and maybe even a kind of second mother figure (even more than Celestia).

2. Of course I went with Pinkie. She's PINK. Little girls adore pink; I swear to god I think it's genetic. Even without being told, they gravitate toward it. That's why Hasbro made Pink-Lestia and put pink highlights in the manes of nearly all the mane cast toys, as well as the playsets. Hasbro's done this a long time; they know what sells.

Rainbow Dash's tail (on the toy) looks like poo. >3< The colors look like.....brown....or something. *shrug* I guess I just find her toy pretty well...ugly...and messy. The only reason I have her toy is because I'm a pokemon trainer and I gotta catch em a---....wait.

I voted for Rarity and Pinkie Pie respectively. I mean, Rarity is the most feminine out of the mane 6, but she can be tough and take care of herself like in episode with the Diamond Dogs. And Pinkie Pie, well, she's pink. Wasn't Hasbro's whole deal with pink Celestia based only on them believing pink sells to their target audience?

I voted for Rarity and Pinkie Pie respectively. I mean, Rarity is the most feminine out of the mane 6, but she can be tough and take care of herself like in episode with the Diamond Dogs. And Pinkie Pie, well, she's pink. Wasn't Hasbro's whole deal with pink Celestia based only on them believing pink sells to their target audience?

Esentially, yes. Though, the next wave (thank Celestia) is going to have remodified WHITE Celestia! OMGOSH!!! They took the best of the old--plastic wings, rather than sticks with fabric, and her hair, and gave her a white body...I've got the little tiny preview pamphlet thing....I should upload it. There's also going to be a full release of the cutie mark crusaders+cheerilee! And another filly that comes with Applejack! (for some reason. o.O)

It took Hasbro realizing that their target audience has been missed, and finding out they have a brony audience looking for accuracy to do it, but it's happening! WHITE LESTIA!!!

Guest EoLPinkie

That was a pink Celestia and not cotton candy? Ooo... I should go get my "Got sent to the moon" sleeping bag. At least I'll get to eat a lot of cheese for the next month!