Cold Case: Where are AppleJack, Big Mac and Apple Bloom's Parents?

ChancellorPuddinghead

It could be, but seeing as its a clear play off the famous painting, American Gothic, it could just be art they happen to have.

Things don't look good for the Apple parents as far as I can see. They clearly don't live around the farm, as the last episode proved. And if they are somewhere else, I would think they would have come to the big family reunion in the first episode.

Their hairstyles are interesting. If they are related, the curls on the mare remind me of Sweetiebelle, and the stallion's mane reminds me of Big Mac/Applejack. So maybe Sweetiebelle/Rarity are related to the Apple family in some way? Maybe distant cousins?

I think Ms. Faust said she originally wanted to portray the Apple parents as having passed on (In her recent DA FAQ, iirc), but she knew that the idea would never get approved. This is an interesting discussion though, it will be fun to see how it pans out.

ah, I've seen this discussion elsewhere (I think it was on the cutie pox topic)

somebody pointed out that they finish a full rainbow for the apple family.

big mac -red

AJ -orange

applebloom -yellow

granny smith -green

blue pony

purple pony

ah, here's the quote

Actually, the thing is...

Big Macintosh - Red

AJ - Orange

Applebloom - Yellow

Granny Smith - Green

Male Parent - Blue

Female parent - Purple

All the colors of the rainbow! :20:

My theory on the picture...

250px-Grant_DeVolson_Wood_-_American_Gothic.jpg

Ponified modern art.

But as for the parents themselves... I dunno... I read something about Lauren Faust saying that her idea was that their parents were traveling business ponies, but they never really got mentioned, so nothing about them is canon... but theory wise, i think they're dead... if they were traveling business ponies, someone somewhere would've brought it up... "Hey Applejack! When are your parents coming back form their business trip?" "Oh they'll be gone until season three... uh, i mean next spring...."

eh...

We dont know who the ponies in the picture are. Simple as that. While they could be their parents, they could also be some distant relative or just a painting Granny Smith liked, we dont know. That been said however, I am happy to accept these ponies being the lost parents of the apple family. I kinda accept Ms. Faust's word as the WORD OF GOD, unless explicitly contradicted in the show.

snip!

That kind of makes sense in a weird way...

ah, I've seen this discussion elsewhere (I think it was on the cutie pox topic)

somebody pointed out that they finish a full rainbow for the apple family.

big mac -red

AJ -orange

applebloom -yellow

granny smith -green

blue pony

purple pony

ah, here's the quote

I lean towards this line of thinking - I also think they are travelling business ponies - I don't think death has even been introduced into the show yet

My personal theory is that they left to help at the farm of another branch of the family, that's where they were around the time Applejack got her Cutie mark (which also explains why they weren't in the flash back) and perhaps were on the farm for a while afterwards, but they currently are in a remote region setting up an orchard and Applebloom lives in Ponyville because their parents decided it would be a better enviroment for her to grow up in

Either way, I'm going to pressume that they're alive unless evidence appears stating otherwise, if for no other reason than it's extremely difficult to get away with having a character with dead parents

My personal theory is that they left to help at the farm of another branch of the family, that's where they were around the time Applejack got her Cutie mark (which also explains why they weren't in the flash back) and perhaps were on the farm for a while afterwards, but they currently are in a remote region setting up an orchard and Applebloom lives in Ponyville because their parents decided it would be a better enviroment for her to grow up in

Either way, I'm going to pressume that they're alive unless evidence appears stating otherwise, if for no other reason than it's extremely difficult to get away with having a character with dead parents

it seems blatently clear that when constructing the MLP world the writers didnt have a clear idea from the get go and were making stuff up as they went along

AJ's parents is one of them, the writers probably will leave this question unanswered till it's needed for a plot device

From LF's Devaiant art:

6667273273_b2c088c7ea_z.jpg

I honestly figured something like that. It is a similar deal to Hey! Arnold kind of. It was never defined whether they were alive or dead, and even after the last episodes we never truly find out, probably for the same reasons LF stated. They did alluded to it, but never confirmed the state of his parents (or last name for that matter).

I think with the basis of this show and its target audience, if aj's parents are needed it will likely be a traveling situation, because that would explain their absence at the family reunion as well, as they couldn't be contacted. Perhaps they are following their grandfather's legacy and searching for seeds, but instead of just trading them their goal is to find new fruits and vegetables to be cultivated on family farms. Personally I think that kind of background story would not only fit, but work for the audience.

Personally, I'm a fan of the "they passed on" theory. It makes a lot more sence than them just traveling (i.e. why they've not been mentioned even in passing a single time) I would actually like to see death addressed in-series, but as Faust herself said, such topics are not likely to be approved. (FWIW this is the theory all my stories follow too, and what I personally suggest to anyone who asks me - unfortunately they're dead before AB was old enough to even remember them)

But Scootaloo smiles just as much after looking. Without any dialog accompanying that little scene I'd just assume Sweetie Belle just pointed something out to the two about the play that they all found amusing.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if the show did address the death of Applejack's parents. Sure, it's a kids' show, but they've shown themselves willing to tackle some fairly serious issues. It would be a brave move, and I would be impressed, but I think it could happen. Besides, Sesame Street did it.

I don't believe the pictures have anything to do with their family. I'd like to see theirs, Fluttershy's, and especially Rainbow Dash's family at some point. There's still lot's of time left in the season. I'd also like to see more than just an appearance of Twilight's parents. A speaking role like Pinkie Pie's and Rarity's would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to re-visit something - In the latest episode Big Macintosh cries at the end of the surprise party - he also cries when AJ returns - It's a little out-of-character for him unless you think about the possibility now that this family has suffered great tragedy in the past.

I noticed this too, and it perfectly fits with my headcanon.

that AJ's parents are definitely dead, but Applejack herself was young when it happened and Apple Bloom was only an infant. Big Mac is really the only one of the siblings old enough to remember them, and so I say that's why he cries.

• Like 1

I noticed this too, and it perfectly fits with my headcanon.

that AJ's parents are definitely dead, but Applejack herself was young when it happened and Apple Bloom was only an infant. Big Mac is really the only one of the siblings old enough to remember them, and so I say that's why he cries.

I would have to agree after seeing that - it has changed my mind - I agree - they have passed away.