A Good Influence (Mojo, QuickLime, Riverhippo, Xiee, Steel Eagle)

Mojo

Slowly walking down the streets of Ponyville is a lime green elderly mare with full saddlebags.

"Thar! Got all my supplies fer the week! Got a lotta work to do back on the farm," Granny Smith said as she continued walking. When another pony bumps into her, several oranges jump out of her bags and start rolling down the street in all directions.

"Dang nabbit! I was needin' them oranges fer juice to serve my grandkids!"

Straining the run after them, the gray maned mare slowly walked towards the still rolling oranges.

The small earth pony had been walking when he blinked noticing oranges starting to roll towards him, he glanced up seeing the old mare that was hobbling after them "I'll help you!" He called out enthusiastically, grabbing the one that rolled at his hoof with his mouth and went over to plop it back in her basket, moving to run after the other oranges till he was out of breath but they were all back in the basket.

"Do you want some help carrying those? I dont mind plus if any fall out I can run after them!"

Granny Smith smiles at the offer from the younger pony.

"You are very kind, youngin', I sure do thank ya a heap fer yur help!" she said as the gray mare watched the newcomer place the oranges back into her saddlebag. "If'n ya want ta help me with this here load, I sure would appreciated it!"

Granny happily gave the younger earth pony one of her bags to carry.

"By the way, I didn't quite catch yur name. I'm Granny Smith and I live over yonder at Sweet Apple Acres."

"My names Reno" He said making sure the bag was balanced "Just lead the way and I'll follow Mrs Smith!" He said and grinned, very glad he was getting to help her carry the bag, the one he was carrying was very heavy probably had heavier fruits in them that WERN'T apples.

"Ooh you live on that pretty apple Orchard? I wanted to get a closer look earlier!"

"Well Reno, yur about to git that closer look at them since yur with me," Granny Smith said as she walked with the young colt. "I think all the rest of my family's out doin' stuff right now. Applejack and Big MacIntosh are workin' in the south fields. Wish you could meet little AppleBloom, but if I'm not mistaken, she out with her friends doin' Cutie Mark Crusader stuff. Poor filly gits all worked up cause she ain't got her cutie mark yet."

Granny suddenly stopped talking when she glanced over at Reno and only now realized his flank was blank. Quickly, she changed the subject.

"Er.. OH! You might get to meet Uncle Apple Strudel. He's visitin' but knowin' him like I do, if he's awake, he'll probably he bakin' some of his famous apple strudel! He sure does love to bake!"

"I can understand that!" He grinned wiggling the flank he had caught her eye trailing to " I wanna get mine too but Daddy says they take time, but I betcha mine will be amazing when I get it!" He glanced around the area "Wow it's really big" He said softly, before glancing at her and grinned "He likes to bake? That's neat ! I can't bake the last time I did I made a huge mess!"

Granted he had been trying to boil toast but lets not go into that "I'd love to meet him if I can!"

"Well we'll jist have ta see if he'.." Granny Smith stopped talking as she sniffed the air, "oh yeah! He's here alright! Can ya smell the apple strudel in the air?"

Granny Smith led Reno to the kitchen of the Mane House where, sure enough, a white bearded green stallion wearing a green outfit with matching hat was busy pulling a tray of freshly baked strudel from the oven.

"Brother, we have a guest," Granny Smith said as the gray maned mare walked over to him. "Reno, meet Apple Strudel, my baby brother!"

As if by instinct, Apple Strudel walked over to Reno, gently rubbing his head with his hoof as he said, "OHHH! NOOKIE NOOKIE NOOKIE!"

"Stop that, Strudel! Reno's our guest!"

"Oh, sorry bout dat," the bearded stallion said with his slight Ger-mane accent, "dat's alvays dee vay I greet foals. Have some fresh baked strudel, Ja?"

Reno kept walking with her and stopped to take a sniff in the air "Mhmm yeah I can smell it!" He said and followed her to the kitchen, the smell was really good in the kitchen..and then suddenly there was a green older stallion giving him a noogie, he blinked and giggled at that "It's okay I dont mind!"

The strudel looked so good but Reno wanted to be polite "I'd love some! But let me help her put the groceries up first okay?" he wanted to be hospitable.

"What a thoughtful colt you are," Granny Smith said with a kind smile. "We'll all help put these here groceries away and then enjoy some strudel!"

"Ja! Vonderba idea!" added Apple Strudel and he helped his older sister and Reno put store all the food in the kitchen.

"Thank ya, Reno, fer all yur help."

"Und NOW, vee eat strudel! Baking makes me vant to YODEL!" the gray bearded green stallion shouted as he turned to put his head out the window. When he let out some loud yodeling, it caused all the livestock out in the yard to flee in all directions.

"Er, dear brother, how about you serve up your strudel?" Granny Smith suggested, smiling when he gave up his off key yodeling to walk back to the table to cut and serve his fresh baked creation to Reno, himself, and his older sister.

The older stallions yodeling made Reno's ears hurt, he rubbed them when the other wasn't looking but grinned "Oh it was no problem Mrs Granny Smith" He said politely, before looking at the delicious strusel before him, taking a fork and took a bite, chewing softly "Mhmm this is delicious!" He loved apple based food it was the best kind of food!

"You made this all by yourself?" He would never be able to make something like that..

"Ja, dat I did Heir Reno," the bearded older stallion said with a wide grin. "I have alvays loved baking tings, even as a foal! I made mein first strudel vhen I vas your age, but it took me many years of practice und patience to perfect it. I used to have a bakery vhere I vould spend mein days baking all kinds of tings like strudel, pretzels, bread, pies, cobbler und cakes! It vas later vhen I became old dat I sold mein bakery und retired. But, I never lost mein touch!"

"That ya haven't dear brother," Granny Smith said as she turned towards Reno. "I see ya like that apple strudel, care fer some more?"

"Wooow.." He muttered listening to the other talk about all the things he made before glancing at Granny Smith, swallowing his mouthfull, it was a tempting offer but he didn't want to be a pig "Oh no thank you ma'am but it was nice of you to offer, and yah I love anything with apples in them! It's one of my favorite fruits" His second favorite was cherries but you don't tell an apple farmer that you preffer cherries that would be rude.

"Well Reno, ya came to the right place if'n ya love apples!" Granny Smith neighed. "Apples ur all we do here! Well, Applejack does grow some corn and thar's a carrot farm behind us too."

"We Apples Family members love apples!" added Apple Strudel. "Say sis, still got any Zap Apple Jam left? I missed dat season dis year!"

"Don't think I got any more, Strudel," the gray maned mare said sadly. "Zap apple jam sells like hotcakes round here! We sell out of it almost as fast as we sell outta cider!"

"Got any cider left?"

"'Fraid not, dear brother," Granny said as she turned towards Reno. "So Reno, what would ya like to do next?"

Reno put a hoof to his face pondering a little bit "May I have a look around the farm please? I'v never really been this close to a farm before..." He admitted, his dad toted him around everyplace far too much to stay and look at anywhere.. though his dad had wandered off and hadn't quite found him yet.

But Reno wasn't THAT worried, he was sure his dad would turn up soon enough..he had to..right?

"That's a jim dandy idear, sonny!" Granny Smith shouted. "I'd be pleased as punch to give ya the grand tour of Sweet Apple Acres! Hey little brother, ya wanna come along with us?"

"Ja! Dat vould be vonderba" the bearded stallion said with a smile. "I am all done in dee kitchen! I vill be glad to come vith ya!"

"Alrighty then gents, let's git started!" the elderly mare said as she ambled over towards the front door and unto the porch. "We gotta lotta farm to show ya, Reno!"

Reno all but skipped after Granny Smith, standing on the porch, looking over the beautiful orchard "Wow..." He muttered softly and up at Granny Smith "Alright I'm looking foreward to it!"

He really was, it wasn't often adults payed attention to him, or noticed anything that caught his interest, so it was a refreshing change to have two adults that seemed to want him around.

"I like yur spunk, Reno!" Granny Smith neighed as she and Apple Strudel slowly walked down off the porch and into the front yard. "We have a lot of apple orchards here on the farm! The South field, the East field, the North Field and.. and... er... and..."

"Dee Vest Field, mein sister," added Apple Strudel with an understanding smile.

"Yeah, YEAH! That's right! The West Field! I don't know which field my grandkids are workin' now, maybe we'll run into'm during the tour. Let's start by goin' this a-way, over here's the barn. A lot of memories with that barn. Built it about a hundred years ago, I think, say Strudel, was this here barn up when you were a foal?"

"I tink so, but dat vas a long time ago. But dis barn looks very solid for it's age, dat it is!"

Reno blushed lightly as she commented that he had spunk, he felt all warm from the praise, looking over the vast apple orchards and at the solid old barn "Really? It's that old? Guess back then they really made durable things huh?" He asked and smiled "I'v never seen a barn before.. at least not up close, me and Daddy ocassionally see them on the road though we travel an aweful lot"

"Yessir, this here barn's that old!" Granny Smith neighed with a grin, "Jist cause somethin's old don't mean ya gotta git rid of it. C'mon inside, Reno, y'all can see where we keep our hay,"

When Uncle Apple Strudel rushed over to swing the barn door open, he nearly got trampled by a dozen pigs stampeding out into the fenced yard behind them.

"Oh my! Sorry bout that, brother. I firgot that them pigs was still in the barn, are you alright?"

"Ja! I am fine, mein sister," the bearded stallion giggled as he got back on all four hooves. "Maybe dee pigs vant a grand tour also!"

"Betcha never seen nothin' like that before, have ya Reno?" the elderly mare laughed with her brother as he tried to dust himself off.

• 3 weeks later...

ajbanner.png

"Oh, hay, Granny! What are you guys doing in here?" Applejack was inside the barn, busy sorting' apples in barrels by their condition. Next to her were two barrels, one for shiny ripe apples for ponies to eat, and one for the few bruised ones that wont sell on the market. Applejack was standing over a third barrel, which was a collection of the recently bucked apples from trees she had gotten that morning. With her teeth, she picked through the apples to sort them, one by one. "We got guests? Well why didn't you say so!"

Applejack ran up to Reno and shook his hoof violently. "Welcome to the farm, uh, um..." Applejack stopped shaking and stepped back. "What's ur name?"

Reno's small body shook as the cheerful orange pony shook his hoof rather quickly, he grinned at her though and stood up straight "My name is Reno Miss!" He knew who she was! She was the element of loyalty! His favorite one and the one he wanted to be the most like, but he kept that to himself and just beamed in her presence. He glanced at Grannie Smith and snickered softly and shook his head "No ma'am ! I'v never seen somethin like that afore!"

"Applejack! There you are!" Granny Smith shouted as the elderly mare slowly walked up to her. "Reno, this here's my granddaughter Applejack! She's famous round here, y'know!"

"Ja! Dis is true!" added Apple Strudel. "I am very proud of mein grand niece! By dee vay, fraulien, did you see dose pigs rush out of dee barn? Day didn't escape, did day?"

"Relax dear brother, everything's fine," the gray maned mare said calmly as she turned towards AJ. "Reno was so kind to help me home with my groceries that I invited him to stay a spell and git a tour of the farm. Ya think you could show'm around? I'd do it myself, but I don't move so fast no more. I ain't as young as I used to be."

"No vone is as young as day used to be!" the bearded elderly stallion laughed.

ajbanner.png

"Sure!" Applejack jumped in excitement. "I'd love to show Reno around."

Applejack dumped a bunch of rotten apples and other etible junk in a giant wooden trough. "Come back here, piggies! Come back and get at the eatin's!" Following the call, the same pigs that came rushing out of the barn were now rushing back inside for their scheduled meal. Applejack stood back to give them room.

Applejack walked over to Reno. "Which part of the farm would you like to see, Reno?"

Reno glanced up at the orange pony and grinned as he met her gaze "I'd like to see everything Miss AppleJack! I really like it it's so neat I'v never been on a farm afore!" The small colt said bouncing eagerly on the ground, he wanted to see all the animals, and see the trees, and see how they got the apples from the trees!

Uncle Apple Strudel was stunned to see all the pigs respond so quickly to AJ's call.

"Vonderba!" the bearded stallion neighed. "Dat vas truly remarkable! I have seen such a sight before!"

"Cause you've been spendin' too much time in Germaney!" Granny Smith laughed. "My AppleJack is truly amazin'! She can round up critters with the best of'm! You really outta see her and Wynona workin' together. She's even trained her little sister to help with roundups too! I do love to brag 'bout my grandkids!"

"Javol!" Apple Strudel neighed with a nod of his head.