Derpy's Dilemma

Rosewind

From what I've gathered reading this thread, people are upset because they interpreted Derpy as a mentally-challenge pony.

The following statements are based on my basic knowledge of the character as made by the fandom and my own outside knowledge.

Now, the fact that Derpy's appearance in an episode, and with a speaking part, should be taken as a gift, signifying that Hasbro is, indeed, listening to their unexpected fandom, us "Bronies." Now, as for her portrayal, I find it rather endearing, kinda like Ed was from Ed Edd n Eddy, or Patrick from Spongebob (I'm sure there are other examples just none that come to mind). I think this huge backlash of people finding Derpy offensive is just their interpretation of the character, and while they're entitled to their opinions, I think it's terrible that Hasbro is listening to the minority rather than the majority, which, correct me if I'm wrong, rather loved Derpy and Hasbro's version of her.

There's also the fact that a kid isn't going to see her and think "She's mentally challenged." They're going to look at her and think "Haha! That's funny!" That's what I thought when I watched Ed Edd n Eddy, never once did it cross my mind that Ed was mentally challenged. Slow, yes. Mentally challenged, never.

I think this thing has been blown completely out of proportions and I think people just need to back off. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt Hasbro's going to put Derpy in anywhere besides a "Where's Waldo" type deal like she was for the end of season 1 and most of season 2. And for sure they're not going to put her back in if this is how the fandom reacts to Hasbro listening to them.

The people who get the most attention are the ones that scream the loudest. I hate to say this but it's true, that's the bad part of being a "good" group because we all sit there and be nice and polite, while the trolls are screaming their heads off and getting all the attention. simple case of "Silent majority" vs "vocal Minority"

I do understand Hasbro's position, really, but I agree they're taking this way to far (though I think in the end all we'll get is a re-cut "Last roundup" minus derpy (idly wonder what they'll put in there, or if they'll just let the epp be the only one that's not 22:00 minutes long) and derpy being relegated back to "where's waldo" status (and I suspect sadly that they might retool her to be straight-eyed and normal-y coordinated) )

As for the message TV is sending kids... I dont think this can top "Killing is ok, making love is not!" (i.e. showing violence and gore is fine, but showing affection and yiff is not) I am just having my feeligns of not procreating reinforced. I have no desire to bring children into the hellhole of a world we're creating...

I just don't get it!

There are many cartoons that I've watched that have had characters like Derpy Hooves, so why is it only now that they've realized this?

What is it that gave them the impression that Derpy is some character created to mock people with disorders?

If she really is, then surely every cartoon creator is guilty of it, right?

*Facehoof*

There's a derpy side in all of us, and Derpy is simply the epitome of derpiness! That is all. No hidden message or insult. So those people gotta relax! :/

Guest EoLPinkie

Is this an extension of what was going on on my Status post yesterday? :P

Haha possibly! That and "Haters gonna hate" labels anti-bronies with pretty strong term, so I thought this one worked better. And yay update! Thanks Lux!

I doubt Tabitha was being forced to take down the name. She seems rather acutely aware of events and likely censored the name as a joke. iTunes may be due the release of a five-episode DVD which includes that episode- they probably want to give the DVD a decent shot at seeming special, and will likely release said episode a month or so after the release of the DVD. The older episodes aren't taken down because they've been out there for so long.

Such is my theory, anyway.

Who is saberspark and why can’t I add him as a friend so I can IMMEDIATELY and respectfully disagree with him?

Saberspark. Sir. We need to talk. Report to the Chancellor’s office.

This was an obvious and apparent move to begin backpeddling from Derpy’s name to start corporate damage control.

Corporations do WHATEVER IT TAKES to negate legal and financial liability. They perceived a liability and began taking action. If the community sat on its hands like you are suggesting here then we’d never have had a Derpy in the first place.

MLP would be like every other show on tv with one way communication – your video is pleasant and your visual communication skills are flawless.

Your reasoning is complacent and doesn’t serve the best interests of this community.

‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.’ Edmond Burke

• Like 2

Who is saberspark and why can’t I add him as a friend so I can IMMEDIATELY and respectfully disagree with him?

Saberspark. Sir. We need to talk. Report to the Chancellor’s office.

This was an obvious and apparent move to begin backpeddling from Derpy’s name to start corporate damage control.

Corporations do WHATEVER IT TAKES to negate legal and financial liability. They perceived a liability and began taking action. If the community sat on its hands like you are suggesting here then we’d never have had a Derpy in the first place.

MLP would be like every other show on tv with one way communication – your video is pleasant and your visual communication skills are flawless.

Your reasoning is complacent and doesn’t serve the best interests of this community.

‘The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.’ Edmond Burke

I wish I could like this post a million times. That video is... amazingly right.

The video makes a few good points (the company probably does like us -- a lot), though I don't really agree that the community should be passive about issues like this. I doubt it's even possible!

I really hope we do get more info soon. You can't spook the herd and not give a good reason!

• Like 1

Assuming the worst, I still don't see the issue. Derpy started off as a freakin' animation error. Any characterization we get at all officially is already better than what we would have had initially.

I understand being upset with a possible decision to change her character, but really, some people are taking this waaaaaaay too hard. It is a background pony whose sole purpose is a nod to the fanbase, meant as nothing more than that. Some act as if a change in her character somehow is a fatal blow to the series. Check yourself: It's freakin' Derpy, not Rainbow Dash or Twilight Sparkle.

• Like 1

Questions:

Is it worth balancing out the outrage with nice emails to Hasbro?

And if so, to whom should we address them?

#1 I think we need to wait for an official announcement from Hasbro. If there really WAS an issue, do you not think they would have removed the OFFICIAL stream from Hubworld.com? Which is still up (I hope this isn't against the rules since it is a link to the owner of the series site) http://www.hubworld.com/watch/1397754444001/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-episode-14-the-last-roundup-season-2

You would think if there was an issue, that would be one of the first instances they would remove, even before iTunes. Yes?

#2 If it comes to that, we should address the emails to the Hasbro PR team. I'm sure the head of the PR team's name shouldn't be that hard to find.

No. It's not.

The strength of the Brony Community is in the fact it does react. Why am I the only one who see's this? If we had not reacted with an email campaign today and a petition w/ over 14k signatures we would have forever lost Derpy Hooves as canon.

You wouldn't have lost Derpy as canon because she wouldn't have been canon. Her inclusion in any role whatsoever is a gift to the fans. Making noise over a decision to change a character on their show, when said character initially didn't even exist and who's inclusion is intended as a nod to the fanbase, can come off as the fanbase seeming spoiled.

You want Derpy to remain Derpy? I can understand that. Write a polite e-mail and say your piece. My message is that whether they keep her the same or change her, I'm excited that she is involved at all and am overjoyed that they recognize us enough to do so. I'm not going to demand they adhere to my vision of their character- it is their vision, their work, not mine. I'm happy to have Derpy at all.

You wouldn't have lost Derpy as canon because she wouldn't have been canon. Her inclusion in any role whatsoever is a gift to the fans. Making noise over a decision to change a character on their show, when said character initially didn't even exist and who's inclusion is intended as a nod to the fanbase, can come off as the fanbase seeming spoiled.

You want Derpy to remain Derpy? I can understand that. Write a polite e-mail and say your piece. My message is that whether they keep her the same or change her, I'm excited that she is involved at all and am overjoyed that they recognize us enough to do so. I'm not going to demand they adhere to my vision of their character- it is their vision, their work, not mine. I'm happy to have Derpy at all.

I wrote the polite email and sent them a link to the over 14,000 signed petition.

and derpy's name was re-instated later that day - I'm convinced if I and others had 'done nothing' as saberspark is suggesting then a character I for one sincerely love would have been erased forever.

I love her. I can't bear the thought of going backward. Why give us something then take it away? It would have been better to have never received it.

Excuse me. I'm going to the chimney for some reflection and thinking. It's time to think inside the chimney.

I wrote the polite email and sent them a link to the over 14,000 signed petition.

and derpy's name was re-instated later that day - I'm convinced if I and others had 'done nothing' as saberspark is suggesting then a character I for one sincerely love would have been erased forever.

I love her. I can't bear the thought of going backward. Why give us something then take it away? It would have been better to have never received it.

I'm sure the 14K petition (which I signed) played a role. I'm sure there is far more behind the scenes stuff than we know that did more to save her.

I understand the love. I get it. I love what Derpy represents as well. I'm just somewhat put off by this belief that we are entitled to what we want, when we want it, and how we want it in every facet.

She was an animation error and nothing more, turned into a true character by DHX to show their love for us. No matter what they do with Derpy, I'm thankful for what they have done. In many ways, look at this like Suited for Success: They don't have to put Derpy in, and if they do, we should appreciate what they do. Demanding things from them when what they are giving us is a completely non-essential gift out of their own goodwill comes across poorly.

Now, this isn't directed at people who write nice e-mails and sign petitions. It is directed more at those who seemingly like to board the DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM train about everything even remotely un-fanny.

Wow is all of this silly. I can't understand how some people can be so offended by something so entirely harmless and fun.

And it upsets me that this controversy is what might stick with people when remembering what I consider to be the most perfectly good episode in the series since Sonic Rainboom... :sleep:

• Like 1

Speakng as someone who is an Agent Orange baby and had associated problems in school over the years, I wished I had a Derpy Hooves to look up to back then. Somepony who was as silly, clumsy, and ditzy as me who never gives up.

I find nothing negative about our fandom's favorite little muffin wether she's just a ditz or.. special like me.

(My other issues have been minimized with lots of help and practice over the years, but number dislexia is still a problem for me)