Derpy's Dilemma

Rosewind

I would be absolutely shocked if Apple did anything to the video, for several reasons.

1) They'd get sued out of their pants, it's not their intellectual property

2) They are the largest company in the world (market cap) right now, there's no way they're tracking minutia like this.

3) Who do you think did it, some mysterious Apple redubbing censorship department.

It's conceivable that Hasbro/Hub/DHX had to modify the version to get it back onto iTunes, after complaints to Apple. We'll know the next time the show reruns on the Hub.

Oh yes, and how the heck would Apple underp her eyes, they're not an animation house...

Yeah, it was probably Apple. They probably told Hasbro that it was staying down until the changes were made. So Hasbro caved in, and did the worst job possible.

That said, it is still on the Hub's On-demand untouched. If it was going to be changed, they would have done it there first since it is in their direct control. In fact it would have been there first, as it wouldn't have had to pass through Apple.

I'm taking a wild guess here that the Hub On Demand is not something you can get through the internets, right?

Well, as long as my DVD of The Friendship Express is untouched, I am somewhat okay with iTunes shooting themselves in the foot. If it was really all their doing... I guess as this develops, we'll see if Hasbro or any of the pony crew over there throws in their two cents about it.

I am pretty sure that given the size of this fandom, their email boxes are already being savagely stuffed to brim.

Will admit that the new voice for derpy is kind of growing on me, and the rest of the episode still holds its own. And her eyes are still slightly derped but sadly not derpy derped.

After watching the clip I agree, Ashliegh didnt give a trot... imo the re-dubbed lines dont even hardly sound like Dash... If someone showed me that clip outside of ED I'd have been tempted to say it was a fan-dub...

Though I will admit I do like the new voice for derpy, it's a lot better than the 'male' voice that Tabby used the first time, that *was* an improvement.

Just heard the news about Derpy. While the voice I like as it sounds more like a mare, the crosseyed being removed and the elimination of her name is cause for concern.

One had to wonder if Hasbro is going to reedit all future episodes, as season 2 is wrapped up in production as is most of season 3.

Hopefully Hasbro won't eliminate her entirely and leave her at least with the dignity of being a Where's Waldo character.

Not what I mean... Ashleigh is the VA for RD, and that is whom I was referring to...RD. She seemed weak in the new scene. Her voice was stronger in the original. It felt like they took second best here, just to make it PC. This is clearly a half***ed effort to PCify the scene, and it shows. The flow is entirely off.

It's possible this has to do with Ashleigh Ball's voice injury. If it was recently recorded, it's possible that Ashleigh had trouble recording and didn't do as good a job because she couldn't. (See the original article as well as clicking the link above.)

I would be absolutely shocked if Apple did anything to the video, for several reasons.

1) They'd get sued out of their pants, it's not their intellectual property

2) They are the largest company in the world (market cap) right now, there's no way they're tracking minutia like this.

3) Who do you think did it, some mysterious Apple redubbing censorship department.

It's conceivable that Hasbro/Hub/DHX had to modify the version to get it back onto iTunes, after complaints to Apple. We'll know the next time the show reruns on the Hub.

Oh yes, and how the heck would Apple underp her eyes, they're not an animation house...

Naw, it wouldn't be JUST Apple. Apple is definitely not stupid, they're a billion dollar company. Anything they did, they had Hasbro's permission to do—or as starswirlthebearded pointed out, made Hasbro do.

(Posted this on my deviantART journal, figured it works here for this discussion too)

"...Now, my initial reaction, of course this sucks. It sucks bad. It feels like someone (whether it's Hasbro or whoever) has basically burned the bridge that's been built between us, the fans, and the animators, our heroes, one that both sides took great care in building. I already signed the petition for a 'retraction' so we can have the old episode back (if you want to do the same, see [link]).

But there is one fact that makes me okay with this whole mess. Kreoss, an animator from TopDraw, who is also here on deviantART, posted his own blog entry on the matter here: [link] and it includes the very important information that:

"On the issue on Derpy whether she'll have the same Derp face expression and stuff. As an animator of the show, rest assured, she'll be fine."

So we know that, while Derpy was effectively pulled from The Last Roundup, she'll still appear in the background in future scenes, and she'll still be Derpy as we know and love her.

So really, nothing has changed. Yes, that one moment in history that fully cemented and confirmed the relationship between the animators and the fans is gone (and actually, in the age of the internet, even that is far from true), but at least WE know that she's officially Derpy, and THEY know that she's officially Derpy, and WE know that THEY know that she's officially Derpy. They can take away that one appearance, but now it's obvious to everyone who exactly she is.

So with that little nugget of reassuring information tucked away in the backs of our minds, everything will go back to how it was before. We'll still spot Derpy in the backgrounds, celebrate her appearances and produce fan art and fiction and whatever else. Sure, she won't be named again, she probably won't have any more lines in the future, but she will still be Derpy for both us and the creators.

She'll just go back to being our Derpy Little Secret, and maybe it's even best that way. The less she's blatantly she's portrayed, the less trolls and other people have to complain about.

Heh. Derpy Little Secret. That was pretty clever for me.

"I'll keep you my Derpy Little Secret… doo-dee-doo-dee-doo-daa-daaa…."

*walks off into the sunset singing about Derpy*"

I find the new voice way better. The original was, based on a statement by the VA, a mistake as she was given little information on the character. Just on that alone, I see it as pretty awesome that they would go back and fix it. The new voice matches the character better and just flows better overall. Not only that, now there's zero chance of someone getting offended, at least on the down syndrome approach. They addressed issues and we should appreciate it. They went through the effort to do so. It's not like Ditzy Doo was taken out of the show or anything. As for them taking out the name drop 'Derpy', it was a great choice. It's a word that simply has no place within the show itself. For fandom, whatever, they can do what they want. This is a rather graceful way to handle a mistake, simply addressing it directly by fixing it.

I'd hope this revision is kept in any DVD releases.

Moral of the story: Don't ever be offended by something unless you're in the majority. People will call you a hater for having the audacity to stand up for yourself.

Honestly, the lack of understanding in this community has never disappointed me more than it has around this issue specifically.

QFT.

Honestly while voice change is be quite good thing, "underphying" her is bad move. Still, I heard that change will be ONLY for iTunes version and DVD will be untouched so it seems that it's for 95% Apples(No offence Apple Family) fault for making bad decision.

So that petition that is reopened should be sent to Apple, not to Hasebo!

It's possible this has to do with Ashleigh Ball's voice injury. If it was recently recorded, it's possible that Ashleigh had trouble recording and didn't do as good a job because she couldn't. (See the original article as well as clicking the link above.)

That voice injury happened in November of last year. Ashleigh confirmed at Bronycon that her voice was healed and fine. This redub was made recently, which means it probably happened after both of these events.

I really doubt Apple messed with the episode. We've seen how hamfisted they are with iTunes content (Hearts and Hooves leak); this was the work of Hasbro. The big question is, was this a decision made by one executive high on the chain, or do you think Hasbro actually had a meeting and debate process about how to handle this issue?

I do like Derpy's voice a bit better, but the name removing and un-derping wasn't necessary. Again, we're left with a few frightening actions and no real information to understand them.

Again, we're left with a few frightening actions and no real information to understand them.

Pretty much my main concern with this situation. I am not emotionally invested in the character and while I found the fact that they openly called her Derpy amusing, it didn't quite fit the general naming conventions of the show. I mean, it is an internet-specific slang word, after all.

However what's going on is quite frankly confusing. I guess it feels like back-peddling out of recognizing the fandom for quite a lot of people. Can't blame them for that, really.

I don't know why Hasbro would do it, but it's just so PAINFUL to listen to, the new voice just sounds so BLAND and EMOTIONLESS, while the old voice was excellent, it had emotion and characterization in it. Also, they re-recorded Rainbow Dash's voice as well, what's more is that Dash's re-recorded lines do not even SOUND like Ashleigh Ball at all, it sounds like someone else is doing her voice instead.

I can't believe this actually went this far. I seriously hate this sort of politically correct nonsense. A small group of silly people can whine about something and ruin it for everyone else. That's just ridiculous. :x

QFT.

I understand this sentiment about people needing to take into consideration the thoughts and feelings of the handicapped in this matter. I do. And, shockingly enough, those I know who fit here and are also fans of the show weren't offended. Obviously this is just a personal flavoring and not an exhaustive survey, but combined with what I've heard from others, and it seems to be that even within that specialized community, there was little outrage. Most of it came from where such complaints normally arise: People who see themselves as white knights of justice who must always look out for the little man and strike down anything they consider even remotely offensive in the name of another, regardless of that little man's(or woman's) actual opinion, because they are honorable knights who just know better.

Might as well dropped the scene as a whole. It's just so bland now.

But alas, I guess the whitewashing faction wins this round. Even if they fought an absolutely baseless battle.

Moral of the story: Don't ever be offended by something unless you're in the majority. People will call you a hater for having the audacity to stand up for yourself.

Honestly, the lack of understanding in this community has never disappointed me more than it has around this issue specifically.

You know, I had the feeling Pinkie was acting borderline autistic in "A friend in deed". I should make a campaign to make them rewrite that episode, because I don't want anything that remembers me of autistic people in my cartoons. In fact, I don't like to think about how settlers used to scam the American Natives, so I should probably complain about "Over a barrel", too, while I'm at it.

I'd like my ditzy, clumsy, blond pegasus with the funny eyes back, though, because I find that brand of mentally handicapped people hilarious.

Deleting (or worse, rewriting) scenes like those just support the sentiment that people with disabilities have to be treated differently, and that we have to fight their fights for them, like children. An I find the case of Derpy especially insulting, because it wasn't even a joke targeted towards handicapped people. It just reminded people of something they'd rather not see, and that makes me sad for humanity as a whole.

I understand this sentiment about people needing to take into consideration the thoughts and feelings of the handicapped in this matter. I do. And, shockingly enough, those I know who fit here and are also fans of the show weren't offended. Obviously this is just a personal flavoring and not an exhaustive survey, but combined with what I've heard from others, and it seems to be that even within that specialized community, there was little outrage. Most of it came from where such complaints normally arise: People who see themselves as white knights of justice who must always look out for the little man and strike down anything they consider even remotely offensive in the name of another, regardless of that little man's(or woman's) actual opinion, because they are honorable knights who just know better.

This is the trope your looking for:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightTemplar

And I agree, from what I've seen, the Special Needs (or w/e the newest PC term is) community has had ZERO instances of being offended! In fact if we look back a lot of it is "I dont want my kid to think this way about the dissabled" --- in which case I see it as a PARENTS JOB to explain the difference! (oh wait, I forgot, parents dont raise kids anymore...)

I honestly dont know wheather I'd be more upset if they'd just cut the scene entirely, since this is showing them going out of their way to slap the fandom in the face and kiss the plots of the Knight Templar Parents...

hi hi

It is a sad issue, and at this point, I don't think there's any way they can avoid hurting someone's feelings. Perhaps they hurt the feelings of some people who have disabilities, I couldn't say, but I have heard people with disabilities who feel they have been marginalized by Derpy's removal, or the calls for her removal. Being different isn't a crime.

The whole message of the episode was that it is OK to be proud of yourself, even if you're not the best at something. Its a shame that certain individuals no longer count.

I guess maybe the world just isn't ready for some kinds of people to step into the foreground just yet, but if the gradual inclusion of other minorities in the past is any indication, I suspect that some day in the future, we'll be able to look back and laugh about how bizarre and silly this whole thing was.

• Like 2