[Ponyville] The Animal Adoption Fair (PM for invite)

Corsair

Fluttershy pushed the last cloud into a low position just over the field. She back-winged a bit, to check her work. Yes, that should be plenty of clouds to hold her avian friends. She alit on the ground, turning to survey the rest of the field. All around her, birds flitted in the tree tops, placing streamers and ribbons. On the ground, dozens of furry creatures scampered about, pulling (or eating) weeds and making sure the ground was clear of sticks and rocks. On the front of the little cottage at the center of all the activity, was a banner that read "Pet Adoption Fair."

The yellow pegasus trotted up to a couple of long tables. A white rabbit in a little chef's hat was sitting on a stool, busily tossing a salad in a large bowl. The tables held other fruits and veggies, some sandwiches, a punch bowl, and a big cake from Sugar Cube Corner. The rabbit looked up at the pony's approach, and moved over to push a plate with one of the sandwiches towards her.

Fluttershy looked at the proffered plate with an anxious look on her face. "Oh thank you Angel," she said to the bunny, "But I don't think I could eat anything. I'm so nervous!" The pegasus began pacing back and forth in front of the tables. "What if nopony adopts any of the animals? What if nopony likes the food? What if nopony comes at all today?!"

Angel folded his forelegs over his chest and thumped his hind foot to get Fluttershy's attention. But then, he jumped down from the table and ran up to stroke one of the pony's hooves soothingly.

Fluttershy looked down at the bunny with a small smile. "I know Angel, I shouldn't be so worried, I just haven't done this before!"

Ever since she had gotten her cutie mark, Fluttershy had dedicated herself to taking care of animals. When she had moved from Cloudsdale to Ponyville, she had chosen to live on the outskirts of town where she could take care of as many animals as she could. She'd had ponies come and adopt pets from her before, but only after matching up Rainbow Dash and Tank had she gotten the idea to make an event of it. Part of her was thrilled that she could make ponies and animals happy together, but another part was terrified of having too many ponies around she didn't really know. It had been Pinkie's idea to set up the food and refreshments to bring a bigger crowd, but that had just brought its own set of worries.

Fluttershy felt a little tug at her tail. Turning, she saw a squirrel, who gestured behind himself. The birds and mammals and reptiles were now all milling about, looking at her expectantly. Taking a deep breath, the pegasus steadied herself. "Thank you so much for your help, everyone," she said, adressing the assembled creatures. "Now, lets all get ready!" The excited animals scattered, the birds taking roost on the low hanging clouds, and the others climbing trees or finding a comfortable place to sit on the ground.

Taking heart from her animal friends, Fluttershy smiled widely, letting her excitment show. "Ok Angel," she said to the rabbit at her side, "You know what to do." Angel nodded, and ran down the path to a small wooden sign. He kicked the base of the pole, and a wooden flap dropped, showing the word "Open."

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Skybright pegasus twins had a free morning due to a day off from the weather patrol, but instead of sleeping in from their astronomy session the previous evening, Shanna had other ideas.

Shanna nudged her brother after trotting into his bedroom "Come on sleepy head, That one weather pony from Ponyville who got a turtle has spread the word that there was going to be a pet fair. We havent had a pet since we were foals."

Hoss groaned and rolled out of his cloud bed "I dont think a flying fish counts..."

He yawned and combed his mane "I admit I wanted a pet sometime, but we're traveling a lot too."

Shanna nods "Well we'll have to get something that flies and isnt' afraid of the dark." She smiled as she sauntered out the door "Trust me!"

Hoss rolled his eyes and followed the bay mare out of the family home...

Soon the bay colored twins spotted the field set up for the fair and did a wing-over to land at the entrance. Shanna smiled brighty as the pair trotted up to the lemon colored mare, while Hoss looked longingly at the treats nearby "Hello, are we early?"

Sepia Veterinae looked towards his pet blue bird 'Twitter' perched on his back and merely said "my vet senses are tingling, there's got to be lots of animals somewhere around here", all Twitter could offer in return was the same 'you've got to be kidding' look before having to cling onto Sepia's mane as he started running down the streets of Ponyville in search for the mystical congregation of pets.

After some time and a few dead ends Sepia was finally able to make his way to a small cottage towards the outskirts of Ponyville, "finally ... made ... it, see ... I ... told ... you Tweets" Sepia muttered in between pants 'I really should start getting more exercise' Sepia thought to himself as he looked around. "Hmm looks like some pet adoption thing or something, I don't really know ... what do you think Tweets?" Sepia pondered. Twitter only gave a face-wing as he pointed a blue wing to a large banner saying 'Pet Adoption Fair', Sepia looked at the banner but quickly looked away trying to ignore his stupidity.

"Aaaanyway though, since we're here how about we go look at all the little animals that are about ... you know what they say the more the merrier right?" Sepia said as he trotted towards the animals, "I hope they have penguins"

oL9Za.png

The Mayor arrived a bit later than she had hoped for. There were a few ponies already looking into getting some pets. She planned to give an opening speech to help promote the wonderful cause that Fluttershy had started. The Mayor heard about this little project and a few days before and she had managed to pass the word around town to everypony, encouraging them to join.

However, she had another agenda in mind. She had considered adopting a pet herself. It was to keep her company during those long ours at the Town Hall when she was working. It could get lonely sometimes. especially during the long days when she needed to work the extra hours. Maybe Fluttershy just had the right pet for her. But she had to put that aside and ask her later when things settled down. She was Mayor first and she had work to do.

"Good morning Fluttershy!" She greeted cheerfully waving a hoof as she approached her. "I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of telling everypony to support your cause. A lot of them seem interested and I was assured that they'd show up today. I would also be glad to give a speech in your honor for the valiant work that you've done."

Inkblot gently landed on the ground, his pet raven perched on his back. As he looked around, he noticed a wooden sign that simply said, "Open". He thought for awhile, and then realizes that this must be the animal adoption fair! Of course! How could he have forgotten? He smiled, feeling lucky that he had coincedently landed in front of the place he had been planning to go to all week.

He looked back to Corvus, his raven.

"Hey buddy! I think it's about time that you got a another friend..."

Corvus blinked and nodded in a reluctant fashion.

"Come on...don't be so stubborn. I'm sure that you'd love another friend to keep you company."

The raven nodded again, less reluctant.

As Inkblot walked toward the fair, he noticed a congregtion of other ponies near a light yellow pegasus with a pink mane. Figuring that this was the pony holding the fair, he tried to move toward her. He didn't want to be rude though, so he waited in the "line" behind some other ponies. It wasn't really a line as much as it was a group though. Corvus looked around, his beak dropping open at the surprise of all the animals freely roaming around. Inkblot looked back to him, who was still perched on his back. The black pegasus smiled.

"I told you that you would like it."

Sky Flare just happened to be flying through Ponyville when he heard the news from other ponies about some kind of pet adoption. He always wondered what it would be like having a pet.Although he didn't know exactly what type he wanted, he had some qualifications. His pet had to be loyal, it had to be able to keep up with him when flying, it should be able to perform tricks, it had to be cool like him, and most importantly it had to fly as Sky Flare did live in Cloudsdale.

Getting directions, he flew towards the Everfree Forest. He wondered why somepony would choose to live near such a creepy place, but that wasn't the point now. Now he saw a cottage with a banner with an Open sign. Best of all, there were several animals scampering about.

"Woah! So many choices. I thought there would be a few pets, but not like this! I hope I can find whoever is running this event so I can get a pet."

Just moments after Angel had officially opened the Fair, two pegasus ponies decended to land on the path. Despite the the fact that they were a mare and a stallion, the pair were nearly identical. As the two approached Fluttershy, the mare asked "Hello, are we early?"

"Oh, n-no, you're right on time!" Fluttershy swallowed and tried to maintain her composure. "W-welcome to the fair! I'm Fluttershy. Um, feel free to look around if you want to..." The yellow pegasus saw the stallion glancing off in the direction of the refreshment table. "Oh, you're welcome to get get some snacks from the refreshment table!" she told him.

Fluttershy then noticed a familiar mare coming up the path. "Please e-excuse me," she said to the twins before moving to meet the Mayor. "Good morning Miss Mayor!" she greeted the spectacled mare, glad to see somepony she recognized.

"I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of telling everypony to support your cause. A lot of them seem interested and I was assured that they'd show up today."

"Oh, that would be wonderful!" said Fluttershy. "I have so many animals that would love to be somepony's pet!"

"I would also be glad to give a speech in your honor for the valiant work that you've done."

"A s-s-speech?" Fluttershy's pupils contracted in terror. "Oh, n-no, that'sreallynotnessesary..." she said, taking a couple of steps back from the Mayor. It was one thing for the Mayor to spread the news about the fair, but Fluttershy felt like she might die of fright if someone made a big speech about her!

The yellow pegasus saw two more ponies coming up the path, and took the opportunity to slip away from the Mayor. One of the stallions was a unicorn, and one a pegasus, but they both had birds riding with them. "Oh, a blue bird! And a raven!" Fluttershy exclaimed, hovering in front of the ponies. "Such pretty birds! Do you need anything? I have seeds and berries, or..." Fluttershy stopped, realizing she was ignoring the ponies that had arrived with the birds. She dropped to the ground, and looked at the stallions shyly. "I'm sorry, can I help you?" she asked quietly.

Shanna smiled as the mare running the fair greeted them. Her voice dropped shyly, making Shanna lean forward to catch the last words "Oh, Hello Fluttershy! Thank you for giving us a chance to find a pet."

Recognition sparked in the twins as she told Hoss to help himself.

Shanna joined her brother for a quick light breakfast. "Wasnt that?..."

He nodded "Yes, that was THE Fluttershy, the mare that was in all the ads for a while."

Shanna shook her head in wonder, watching Fluttershy greet the birds, and then their owners belatedly. "Wow she must really be dedicated to animals to give all that up for them. Now I'm sure she can find us the right pet."

"Fluttershy...interesting name. I was just wondering, Miss Fluttershy, where the birds would be located. My pet raven here is becoming quite lonely...I think it would be nice to adopt a friend for him."

Saying this, he proceeded to look around.

He didn't move though, as he didn't want to be rude.

In honesty, he was shocked at the pegasus's kindness. Never before had he met one so light-hearted and kind.

Sepia stopped looking around as soon as he realised somepony was talking to him, he had been looking for at least a few minutes and could not find a single penguin much to his dismay.

"Such pretty birds! Do you need anything? I have seeds and berries, or..."

Sepia was about to respond to the yellow mare which he presumed being the pony in charge of the fair until he realised that she was addressing Twitter and not him. On top of Sepia's back Twitter was quickly nodding at the offering of food that the kind yellow mare had offered but Sepia turned around and shot him a disapproving gaze.

"I'm sorry, can I help you?"

Sepia thought about the best way he could possibly ask if she had any penguins up for adoption without sounding weird, while thinking the other stallion was conversing with the yellow mare calling her Fluttershy 'A fitting name' Sepia thought as he watched Fluttershy paw at the ground. Sepia waited for the other Stallion to finish before starting, "Um I'm just looking for ..." Sepia paused as he carefully rehearsed speech was completely forgotten in an instant, "uh ... A penguin? I can take care of it easily, I have a small little cottage within Solstice Heights where I treat all the animals in the area, oh yeah I forgot I'm a vet" Sepia rambled knowing each word he uttered dug himself into a deeper more awkward hole. "So ... yeah do you have any penguins for adoption?" Sepia finished awkwardly.

As ponies poured into the adoption fair the Mayor had thought that this would be a good time to give her speech. She went into the middle of the crowd and stomped her front hooves for attention.

"Attention everypony!" She said in a loud voice, as everypony began to drop what they were doing and paid attention to her. "Welcome to Fluttershy's Pet Adoption fair! It's the first of it's kind in Ponyville and we all have her to thank for. All her hard work and dedication to give a home to all these animals is just fantastic and a good example of how we should care for the animals around us. No other pony has shown this sort of dedication when it comes to taking care of our animal friends. Please give a hoof of applause to our amazing and wonderful, Fluttershy!"

Everypony began to stomp their hooves and cheered on. The Mayor moved to Fluttershy's side and whispered.

"I think they're expecting you to give a speech."

Fluttershy looked at the black pegasus with the raven. "Oh, I'm sorry your friend is lonely," she said, glancing up at the bird. "Well, most of my bird friends are waiting over on the clouds, I'm sure you can find one you'll both like!"

Looking next at the unicorn, Fluttershy frowned a bit in confusion at his rapid speech until he mentioned that he was vet. "It's very nice to meet you, Doctor!" she said brightly. She worked closely with the veterinarian in Ponyville, and she was always glad to meet ponies that loved animals as much as she did. She frowned at his request though. "No, I'm so sorry, Doctor, I don't have any penguins here," she told him. "They're so cute though, they look like they are wearing little tuxedos! I do have few few other sea birds, um, if you are interested."

Fluttershy then saw another pegasus she had somehow missed before. He was white with a mane that looked almost like flames. She seemed to be drawing in a lot of pegasus ponies today. "Um, hello, can I help you find something?" she asked, quietly.

. . . .

Trying to keep up with all of her guests, Fluttershy once again flitted over to the pegasus twins, who had each gotten a snack from the table. As she approached, she heard the stallion say "Yes, that was THE Fluttershy, the mare that was in all the ads for a while."

The yellow pegasus squeaked, and backed away from the pair a bit. She had been hoping that nopony would recognize her. Rarity had tried to encourage her to use her one-time fame to promote the fair, but Fluttershy just wanted everypony to forget the whole thing.

Gathering her courage, Fluttershy decided to pretend she hadn't heard the stallion's comment. She started to approach again when;

"Attention everypony!"

Oh no. No no nonono.....

"Welcome to Fluttershy's Pet Adoption fair! It's the first of it's kind in Ponyville and we all have her to thank for. All her hard work and dedication to give a home to all these animals is just fantastic and a good example of how we should care for the animals around us. No other pony has shown this sort of dedication when it comes to taking care of our animal friends. Please give a hoof of applause to our amazing and wonderful, Fluttershy!"

Fluttershy went rigid with fear as the mayor approached her.

"I think they're expecting you to give a speech."

Fluttershy's eyes shrank to pin pricks. "Sp-sp-sp-speech?" She scanned the crowd of ponies all watching her, waiting for her to say something. With a sound like a goat, Fluttershy fainted dead away, falling with her hooves in the air.

When the Mayor started to speak, Shana and Hoss turned to look at the Mayor.

They clopped their forehooves on the ground when she called for applause and speech by Fluttershy and looked at the yellow mare expectantly.

Suddenly Fluttershy fainted, stunning the twins for a second, before they flew over to help, speaking in turn. "Oh dear! Any medical ponies here?" "Yeah, we're great at first aid but would rather defer to pros."

Shanna propped up Fluttershy's head and fanned her with a wing while Hoss went to grab a glass of water from the refreshment table...

Sky Flare waited patiently for somepony to help him find a pet. He noticed that a yellow pegasus was flitting about from pony to pony. "That must be the one who's running the event," Sky said to himself. It seemed many came out for this even, even the mayor of Ponyville. Sky then heard a pony mention the pony's name: Fluttershy. The name made sense as she did seem to flutter about and she was kind of shy. Then he remembered seeing her in Cloudsdale. She wasn't that good of a flier, and after that she left Cloudsdale.

Finally Sky Flare was greeted by her as she tried also talking with two ponies, possibly twins. "Um... yeah. Your name is Fluttershy, right? And you're running this pet adoption thing?"

Before she could answer, the mayor made an announcement and asked Fluttershy to say something. Suddenly the pink maned mare paased out! "Um... Fluttershy," Sky Flare said as he lifted her head slightly. She seemed ok, just passed out. "Hello? Anypony home in there?"

Inkblot noticed the yellow pegasus who had passed out. Now, Inblot wasn't so good with situations such as this. It was bad enough that he was in a crowd of people this big. But this? This was just so...different. He walked up to Fluttershy, standing calmly alongside the other ponies. He didn't really know what to do, and he didn't really have the ignorance to ignore her and go off searching for a pet. Instead he quitely watched the other ponies do what they could to awaken her. He nudged her with his hoof a few times though, hoping to achieve a form of good.

When this did nothing, Corvus dismounted from Ink's back and began to nudge the yellow pegasus with his beak. He crowed a bit, and then continued poking her with his beak.

The Mayor sighed as she saw Fluttershy goat-faint. This was typical Fluttershy. Those who didn't know her flocked to her and tried to revive her. But she knew this was a futile attempt. She could only facehoof and hoped the yellow-colored Pegasus would get over it.

"Oh come now Fluttershy." The Mayor poked her hoof on Fluttershy's cheek. "Just say a few words of thanks. You don't really need to give a long speech."

The Mayor sat beside her and waited until she recovered. All the while she answered some inquiries that some of the the new ponies had asked. She had not seen this many new Ponies in Ponyville before. There were a lot of new faces and she was curious about most of them. Ponyville was a small town that she knew every resident by name. So she was quite clear that most of them were passing by or visiting.

Cheerilee sighed. She had only gotten wind of of the Fluttershy's intention to hold an Animal Fair at the last minute (that pony's too....subtle, she thought to herself) and had the day before, hurriedly prepared a lesson on responsible animal ownership, which she had delivered to a class that had seemed more interested in chatting about what pet they'd adopt and how awesome it was going to be.

Now she was here, wandering around the fair, helping herself to some sandwiches and it was so far so good, none of her students seemed to be here, or at least those that were didn't seem to be making rash decisions

A hubbub on the other side of the fair caught her attention, and after catching snippers of "speech! speech!" Cheerilee turned just in time to see Fluttershy drop to the ground in a faint.

Trotting over, to the mob surrounding Fluttershy, she called out in her shrill "teacher voice".

"If everypony would mind stepping back for a bit, I'm sure she'll be fine if she gets some air"

Sky Flare's ears suddenly perked up when she heard the authoritative voice of some pony in the crowd. He carefully set Fluttershy back to the ground and stepped away. He scanned the crowd to see exactly who was the one giving the command and it seemed that there was a magenta earth pony standing. "Heh, sorry about. I was just seeing if I could wake her on my own."

When Inkblot heard the sound of a pony calling into the crowd, he back up. It probably was a good idea to give the pegasus some space, despite his original idea to try to wake her up. Corvus returned to his position on Ink's back, and they both walked away from the fainted pony.

"Yes, sorry. Guess I wasn't thinking too straight..."

(OOC: heh, I guess Fluttershy is not going to wake up until everypony backs off then... ;) )

The twins instantly freeze at the authortarian voice of a teacher, themselves not long out of Canterlot University.

Hoss remains where he is at the refreshment table, standing still with a glass of water held in a fetlock and looking sheepishly at Cheerilee.

Shanna blushes sheepishly as well and slides out from under Fluttershy's head and stops fanning with her wing. She then backs off to where her brother is.

They both look contritely to the teacher and speak together "Yes ma'am, we are sorry, ma'am..."

((Sorry guys, I was waiting for Haserman to post, but I can move things along.))

A white streak shot between the legs of the ponies gathered around Fluttershy. The streak turned into a white rabbit who was suddenly standing in front of the pegagsus' head. With a frown on his face, he stuck his arms out to the sides as if to say "Everypony stay BACK!" As the assembled ponies pulled back, both from Angel's arrival and from Cheerilee's command, the bunny turned to his mistress. With a sudden tender expression on his face, Angel took one of Fluttershy's hooves and began stroking it gently.

After a moment, Fluttershy's eyes fluttered open. "A-angel Bunny?" she called out, weakly. Angel pulled on the hoof he was holding, getting the pegasus to sit up on her haunches. Angel sighed, then turned back to the crowd. His expression hardened again, and he stared up at the ponies as if to say "You didn't see anything!"

Fluttershy shook her head to clear it. She got to her hooves, then shrank back as she noticed all the ponies that were staring at her. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I, um..." At that moment, Angel leaped onto Fluttershy's back and then jumped to the top of her head. The bunny looked down into the pony's eyes, then pointed out at the group. Fluttershy gathered her courage, then said to the ponies "Uh, thank you all for coming. I'll do my best to find all of you a wonderful pet. Um, if you want me to."

As the group broke up a bit, Fluttershy noticed another familiar pony. "Hello, Cheerilee! Sorry... about that. Can I help you with something?"

A fairly tall stallion made his way into the A.A.F. with a smile on his face, looking around and taking in everything with a quick eye. Hovering just above his head was a scroll of parchment and a quill, the quill quickly dipping into an open ink quill on his back before zipping to the parchment and scritching and scratching at the paper enthusiastically. Yes, there was Fluttershy over there, the creator of the event... he would have to try to get a statement from her later. Still, it might be a good idea to mill about and get to know some of the other ponies who had shown up and see how they felt about it.

And who knew, maybe he would find a pet that he might be interested in bringing back to Canterlot with him.

Wandering over to the twin horses at the refreshment table, he offered them a smile and nodded to them both. "Hello, I'm Amity Accurate. I was wondering if you two could answer a few questions for me? I'm writing up an article about the event."

Now that Fluttershy had revived from her goat-faint, the Mayor had set her sights on meeting the new Ponies she had not met before. The Fair had gone to full swing. Ponies from every walk of life had started to show up. The Ponyfolk from Ponyville and a few visitors from elsewhere. This was a great opportunity to mingle with other Ponies from out of town.

She greeted the ones she had never met before. As she made her introductions to each of them she moved on and like the politician that she is, did the same thing, greeting and introducing herself to the other ponies.

"Hello! Welcome to Ponyville and to Fluttershy's Animal Adoption Fair! I'm the Mayor, and I'm pleased to meet you. If there's anything you'd like to know please do ask."

Sky Flare stopped to listen to he Mayor give her introduction speech. He then set back to the task of finding a pet, a plan put temporarily on hold when Fluttershy fainted.

"Hello there," Sky said with his cheery attitude as he held ot a white hoof to Fluttershy, "I'm Sky Flare, stunt pony. You may have heard about me as I'm around Ponyville alot. I'm looking for a pet, but not just any pet. It has to keep up with me, it has to be cool, and most importantly it has to fly. So you got anything that fits those things?"

(OOC: Cue the Find a Pet song)

"Well I'm glad to see you have recovered!" said Cheerilee, throwing a wink to Angel

"Well i do hope you did consider teaching anypony who is adopting here today about responsible pet ownership" she continued "It wouldn't be nice if a new owner couldn't care for her new pet as well as you did"

"Anyway, good luck with the show, I'll just take a look around" she said, waving goodbye to Fluttershy and giving a nod to the Mayor before disappearing into the crowd.

(OOC: thats all I got for now since Cheerilee is not adopting, I'll just take a step back)

Archived