[Ponyville] The Animal Adoption Fair (PM for invite)

Corsair

Sweetie internally squealed as she listened to Fluttershy, and then all but screamed "NO!" at her suggestion of a cat like Opal. "I mean, no. No cats. No." Opalescence was a hoofful. More than a hoofful. She was too much for Sweetie Belle to handle at the best of times and Sweetie really didn't want a pet like Opal full time. It was bad enough being around Opal just a couple days a week.

She responded much more favorably to the idea of a bird. "A really pretty songbird of some kind would be wonderful! ...but I don't know. I spend a lot of time at Rarity's house and I don't really want a pet that Opal's going to try and eat..." The filly's face darkened for a moment before brightening up again. "But, but, maybe I could just meet some critters and maybe I'll connect with one of them like you and Angel Bunny do!" It worked for Rainbow Dash, right? If Fluttershy could even help such a ruffian of a pony as Rainbow Dash find a pet, certainly she could help someone as cute and kind as Sweetie!

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

((OOC:  Zombie RP, back from the dead once again!  Skipping Presteza at her request, and skipping Sweetie Belle as Ghost Girl is not able to RP at the moment.))

“Yep! Here to adopt a new companion to join me back home in Canterlot. I am looking for something hardy. And semi-independent.  Java is the name!”

"Oh, nice to meet you Mr Java,"  Fluttershy answered, pleasantly.  However, she hesitated for a moment before shaking the proffered hoof, but she pushed past her bashful hesitation.  Java's name didn't give her any other clues to this pony's talent.  Ponies frequently had names that dealt with their personality or special talent, but not always.  The name of 'Java' could have something to do with coffee, but that didn't match the stallion's cutie mark.  None the less, her mind was already trying to match this pony with the appropriate pet. 

"Well, many of the animals here can be pretty independent," she explained.  "Some of them lived on their own before they came here, but all of them are excited to find a pony to stay with!"  Fluttershy looked over the stallion's unkempt appearance.  His black mane was curly and tangled, but clean.  She thought that maybe this was a pony who was often busy, or that got wrapped up in his work.  She was getting an idea of what kinds of animals might be good with him, but she had to ask a couple more questions first.  "Um, what do you do, Mr. Java?" she asked.  "Do you want an animal friend that can help with your work, or just companionship?"

Java’s face lit up almost immediately when the mare assured her that these roaming critters would be happy to find a Pony to stay with! Certainly such a desire for companionship would have been expected from a lonely pony like himself. But never from the animals that might want to become pets!

“Ha! Brilliant,” The stallion chimed as he vigorously shook the mares hoof. The stallion soon let go, and spun around on his hooves to gaze onto the magnificent back yard of the Mare’s home. Which… might as well have been an entire forest in it’s own regard from the looks of things. She certainly was a druid in Java’s mind.

“Well! I am sure you can already guess my name has absolutely nothing to do with my talent! No, it’s just easier to say! My actual name is Voronoi Fractal! Math equation, hah. Funny right? Quite the mouthful to say.” The stallion soon began to trot slowly to take a gander at everything around him. “Talent’s Computations, My job is Engineering! I didn’t think about finding a companion whom could help me at work. But that would be a boon if that was possible.”

34rstvk.jpg

Two ponies stood near the entrance of the neatly prepared ‘Pet Adoption Fair'. One was a rather oversized and imposing black coated stallion with a neatly trimmed 'crew cut' style mane-cut. The other, was a small blue filly who was busy surveying what was laid out before her.

"Daddy, this does not look like a pet store to me.", the filly couldn't shake the look of confusion on her face. It had taken her months of pleading, whining and later, a rather well written and prepared one hundred part presentation on 'Why Wind Walker Deserves A Puppy'. She managed to make it to 'Reason fifty-four before her parents broke down and decided to let her have a pet of her own. After moving from Canterlot to Ponyville, the filly couldn't help but notice that a good deal of the sleepy little village's residences had animal companions. From a cute little baby alligator to what she was pretty sure was a turtle wearing an propeller harness and goggles.

"No, it's not.", the stallion shook his head, "From what I've heard, Miss Fluttershy here.", he waved a hoof towards the yellow coated mare, "Rescues and rehabilitates animals, and if they are suitable as pets, she makes sure they all have good homes.", the two slowly made their way towards the field where the assortment of animals were being kept. "And as we discussed, this new pet will be your responsibility. You will make sure to feed, bathe and keep this new little friend company. We won't be leaving this poor creature in the back yard alone. Pets require the same things the rest of us need. And you're free to check out any of the pets here while I go..er..", the stallion caught the inviting smell of a well stocked buffet table. Sandwiches and a big cake! Was it ever mentioned that they would be hoofing out food? "Actually, I'll stick around here and keep an eye on the sandwiches, I mean you.", he chuckled to himself, "Just remember two things. Don't get a pet bigger than you, and no bunnies. Remember what happened to your cousin, Rocky-Gee?"

"Yeah, yeah.", the filly groaned. Cousin Rocky-Gee purchased a bunny, and then purchased another, and ended with a ton of bunnies. Or was it a bun-ton? As she made her way closer to the event, she glanced at the pretty mare and studied her as he moved on. Her sister Fire Walker had mentioned that this mare, along with helping Ponyville's pets and other animals, was also capable of many other things. From stopping an rampaging dragon, to turning an ancient and very evil monster to the side of good. Or at least good that still didn't mind playing a prank or two.

There apparently was one other pony chatting with the mare, so Wind Walker devoted her time checking out the assortment of pets-to-be while her father enjoyed a few sandwiches. There were so many cute animals to see, and while she wanted to take them all home with her, she knew there could only be one, but which one shall it be?

• 2 weeks later...

After Java vigorously shook her hoof, Fluttershy could still feel her foreleg moving up and down rapidly.  Taking control of the limb, she gave a small smile at the stallion's enthusiasm. It was nice to see somepony who was obviously passionate about his work...  even if she had no idea what he had just said.  The way Java rattled off technical jargon reminded her of Twilight when the alicorn was excited about something in her magical studies.  Fluttershy did, however, pick up that Java was an engineer, and that his cutie mark had to do with math. 

She put her chin on her hoof, thinking.  "Hmm...  Well, Mr. Java, I don't think any of my animals can help with math, unfortunately." She explained.  "Some birds can be helpful to researchers, like Twi...  I mean, my friend's owl.  But I don't know any that are good at math."  She omitted Twilight's name on purpose.  Not everypony knew of her friendship with Equestria's newest Princess, and Fluttershy didn't want to be a 'name dropper.' 

She smiled at the stallion encouragingly.  "Don't worry though!"  she told him.  "I'm sure that we can find a friend who's perfect for you! Let's just look around for a bit.

Fluttershy started leading Java through the fair, when she noticed a little pegasus filly looking around.  Glancing over the fair, she saw a dark colored stallion at the refreshment table.  She hadn't noticed the two arrive, but presumably the filly was here with the stallion.  "Hello there!"  She called out to the filly.  "I'll be with you in a little bit, but feel free to look around!  Um, if that's ok with you..."

As Fluttershy and Java passed some of the more exotic animals, a tall, lanky feline came out to greet her.  The large spotted cat began rubbing her legs, trying to to get her attention.  Fluttershy smiled indulgently, but scolded the feline.  "Now now, you just ate, kitty!" she said, "No snacks until later!"  She noticed the cat looking up at Java.  "Mr. Java, this is Miss Serval," she said as an introduction.  "She's a cat from Unyasi!  I haven't quite figured out how she got to Equestria though..."

As the two trotted through the woods among many… strange creatures, Java’s eyes darted curiously between them. The stallion then offered a math when the mare informed him that there were no animals that knew math. Something he knew quite well already.

“Well that’s quite alright, Fluttershy! I know better than to seek perfection,” Java humed with a smile. Though he came to a hault when he noticed the mare was no longer with him. He glanced over his shoulder with a confused look when he saw her speaking to a strange feline.

He slowly rounded about and slowly approached the cat.

“Miss Serval?” The stallion asked with a spark of interest. An excited smile appeared on the engineers snout as he lowered his gaze to meet the feline’s more directly. “Unyasi you say?” Java asked in surprise. His head lifted up to look at the mare in disbelief.

And when she failed to produce an explination, the stallion’s curiosity was at it’s peak! In fact, he quickly lowered his head once more, till his nose lightly bumped into the cats. “Oh! You must have quite the tale to tell, yes? If only you can speak! I’d love to hear how you ran across half the continent to this lovely province!”

The stallion's body slowly lowered it's self down to the ground as he absorbed the feline's presence mentally. A cat the size of a full grown dog, and smart enough to make it's way safely across an entire country! He was looking for something clever, but... this feline was just impressive!

"What was that adventure like I wonder..."

34rstvk.jpg

"Thank you Miss Fluttershy.", the little filly realized that she had seen this mare before. She was one of the famous heroines of Equestria! How awesome was that? "I'll go check out the pups, but could you please make sure nopony tries to adopt my daddy? One might mistake him for a piggy!" Once the Pegasus pony moved off with the funky brown stallion, Wind Walker made her way towards the assortment of canines that eagerly waited for a new home. Her father let out a groan, "Very funny Blue." before turning his attention back to the buffet.

She took an instant liking to the adorable golden retriever with a buff brown coat and slightly darker ears. But didn't a friend of hers back in Canterlot have one? Yep! Sweet Cents had a Golden puppy named Mindy! Should she have the same type of dog?

There was also an cute little female corgi who was full of energy! If she only had a pair of wings, the pup would have been the doggy version of Wind Walker!

Beyond the corgi, there was also an Beagle, a Cocker Spaniel, a Collie and an Labrador Retriever! And even more further down! This was too much! All of the dogs were perfect, but she could only bring back one!

"D'oooooooh!", Wind was confounded! Hopefully Fluttershy could lend her a hoof, once she was finished with the stallion.

• 2 weeks later...

Iucp4qm.png?2

What a beautiful day in Ponyville! The sun was shining, birdies chirping, and everypony was sporting a smile. It was the kind of day anypony would be excited to spend outdoors...well, with maybe one exception. Crystal Moon, best known to comic fans throughout Equestria by her penname Bunny Moon, was feeling utterly drained. She had just sent off the final copy for her next chapter of Sailor Mare and was still seriously suffering from the post-deadline sleepies. Inside of her cutely decorated new home, thick curtains were protecting her from the sunlight. For the most part! She hadn’t pulled her curtains all the way closed, so a tiny beam of sunlight had fallen on her eyes and woken her up.

After much grumbling, she finally rolled from her bed and landed on the floor with a thump! If it were up to her, she’d spend the entire day sleeping, but that simply wasn’t an option today. Despite having been holed up inside her house for days, the postmare who’d stopped by yesterday had managed to get some news from the outside world to Bunny, and it was news she had been pretty excited about. Somepony in town was running an animal adoption fair! How thrilling! Living on her own could get quite lonely, after all, especially considering she had a tendency to be a shut-in around her deadlines and she was in a new town where she didn’t really know anypony. The idea of a pet seemed like the perfect solution if she could manage to find one to match her speed (see: very slow).

With a sigh she threw open the curtains, winced at the sunlight, and took the time to make herself presentable. Her tail was braided, her mane tied back with a pink bunny-ear ribbon, and a small icecube made from coffee was pressed under her eyes to chase away those bags. When she was ready, she brewed and swung back a whole mug of sickly-sweet coffee, then dashed out of her house with a piece of toast hanging from her mouth!

When she arrived at the adoption fair, the sheer amount of potential new friends wowed her. The sleepy mare nibbled on the toast still hanging from her mouth and slowly wandered through the menagerie, completely awestruck! Even if she couldn’t find a new animal companion today, she at least had a lot of inspiration for her next one-shot story!

sml_gallery_1647_223_584823.png

So much had happen in the past few months that Lore Weaver could barely comprehend it all! It was funny how things came full circle to where he was before Triek appeared. Although it was not quite full circle being a librarian rather than bookstore owner. Now was the time though that after he settled into the routine of his new life that the stallion decided to return to his ever-growing list of things he wanted to do that only now he managed to pull from the library that was his mind. He remembered one thing in particular that made him pause...

Find a Pet. 

It wasn't just any pet though that the unicorn wanted, but one who was smart and helpful enough to assist him in the library. After all, Twilight had her pet owl who was quite capable to help her. There was one pony that he knew that could help him with this: Fluttershy. Although he never had the chance to speak with her he would see her and Twilight's other friends entering or leaving the castle. And so he set forth from the castle library towards the edge of the Everfree Forest where already ponies gathered to look for pets. And there was Fluttershy, trying to fit a pet to each pony. 

"Good afternoon Fluttershy," he said trying not scare the busy Pegasus. 

• 3 weeks later...

Fluttershy lifted a hoof to her muzzle to hide a laugh as the filly teased her father.  She then leaned down, whispering conspiratorially.  "Don't worry, I'll be back before a farmer can snatch him up!"  The little pegasus trotted over toward the dogs as Fluttershy turned her attention back to Java.

Fluttershy was about to shoo the tall feline away (gently, of course) when she saw Java's reaction.  A happy smile spread slowly across her face as she realized what had happened.  Sometimes, she had to help a pony find a pet.  Sometimes, she had to help a pet find a pony.  This time, they seemed to have found each other.  With a giggle she said, "Well, Mr. Java, it seems like we won't have to look around after all!"

She watched as the semi-wild cat allowed the stallion to get right in in face without a hint of fear or aggression.  Though the sight was adorable, Fluttershy couldn't help but notice more ponies arriving.  Goodness, it was getting busy!  Looking down at Java, she told the distracted stallion, "I'll let you two get acquainted for a moment.  I need to make sure the new arrivals are OK.

The two new arrivals were both unicorns.  The mare at the refreshment table was unfamiliar.  She had a light yellow coat, even lighter than Fluttershy's own, and her mane and tail displayed a soft rainbow.  Fluttershy, feeling a little apprehensive with all the ponies arriving, told the mare, "Um, w-welcome to the Animal Adoption Fair!  I... have a few ponies I'm helping right now, but feel free to look around!  Um, if that's OK with you..."

The stallion however, was very familiar, and greeted Fluttershy.  "Oh, hello, Lore Weaver!" she said.  Twilight had hired the stallion to be the Castle Librarian after Ti...  after something had happened to his book store.  Fluttershy shook her head a little, dismissing some unpleasant memories.  "Um, did you need something, or..." she asked.  Then with with a dawning grin, she asked, "Are you here for the fair?"

34rstvk.jpg

"Thank you Miss Fluttershy.", the little filly replied back as sweetly as she could. This was gonna be fun! She would get to play with some puppies and even take one home! Before turning her attention back to the suitable collection of pups, she overheard the sounds of newcomers.

She glanced towards the entrance of the 'fair' and watched as two ponies joined the 'great pet hunt'. There was a pretty mare who appeared to have just woke up. She even had her freshly toasted, toast hanging from her mouth! There was also a purple pony she had seen before? But where? It took her a moment before she remembered that he owned a cute little book store where the filly had attended a book signing. Maybe he could get a dog, considering well loved tomes were generally referred to as 'Dog Eared Books'. It seemed that the pretty yellow mare knew the book store owner and his name was Door Heaver? No, that did not make any sense. Floor Beaver? Oh, Lore Weaver! That would make more sense. Nature sure could get loud!

Her evaluation of the dogs continued to be put on hold as she spotted her father as he waved his front hooves in her direction. He was communicating with her via the 'Royal Equestrian Army Visual Communication'. With the help of a few napkins that he managed to snatch up from the table, her father was asking....'Ask...her...if....she is...married..'. No! No! No! The filly shook her head with a frown planted on her face. She wasn't going to bug Miss Fluttershy! She was already very busy, and her brothers could get dates on their own! While her family was known for their bravery, honor and other skills related to being an officer in the R.E.A, none of them cook at all. Maybe Fluttershy got the food from the nearby grocery store, and her friend Pinkie Pie could have made the cake. Oh heavens, she better not tell her father about the pink mare. She could only image the crazy that would come from a Pinky-Punky marriage!

As she tried to shake the thoughts from her head, she felt something fuzzy brushing up against her. It was an adorable little corgi!

1z2d0f9.jpg

Would this be her new pet?

• 3 weeks later...

The stallion watched those curious eyes of the feline. And in turn, the feline seemed to watch back with a level of intelligence that Java had not expected. It leaned closer… slowly edging a paw closer to him as he too craned his own head forward unconsciously.

To him… this was like alien contact. Extraordinary! Interesting! He couldn’t take his thoughts away from the tiny feline as he watched her soon raise it’s paw, and placed it square on his muzzle. In turn, he dropped his chin to the ground as she applied some weight. Soon another paw landed, right on the bridge between his eyes. The large feline loomed over him with a playful look and then finally released a single utterance. A call that sounded strange to Java. He wasn’t even aware that a feline could make that sort of sound.

What was it? Well… a chirp. And then a very characteristic, “YAaaar!~”

The stallion laughed as the feline suddenly dropped her body down on top of his head, pinning it in place. Her lanky limbs managed to wrap themselves under his chin in a hug. The feline’s jaw locked around one of his ears, though ever so delicately. A nibble? No… a playful suckle.

He tried shifting his head a bit but the feline rolled with it, rebalancing her self, and quickly spinning around so her hind paws rested on his neck. The feline bent down again, and gave the pony an accepting lick on the bridge of his nose.

“Well well!” the stallion laughed, now rising up to his feet. The feline adjusted oncemore, this time placing her hind legs on his shoulders.

“I came here looking for a companion! And I think I was selected instead,” He chuckled.

• 3 weeks later...

Given permission to skip Elderflower.

Lore Weaver knew it was harder for Fluttershy to make friends with others due to her shyness, but the stallion noticed that there was something different when talking to her. It was like her seeing him brought up a memory... a bad one. His face for a moment frowned when he knew of a memory that was attached to him. Would he be doomed to be a representation of such a memory for weeks, months, years, his whole life? He hoped not! Luckily it was only a temporary issue as Fluttershy seemed to brighten up. 

"Yes, I'm here for the fair. I'm actually looking for a pet that can not only be a companion but also to help me in the library with retrieving things. Having a pet though is something new to me so that's why I came here since I know you're great with animals. I have no doubt I'll be returning home with one today with your help!"

• 2 weeks later...

Fluttershy blushed a little at the praise Lore gave her, but her excitement at being able to match up somepony she knew with a pet over-rode her embarrassment.  "Well, I sure we can find a pet that perfect for you!" she said, brightly.  Then, in an apologetic tone, she added "But, um, I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to wait a bit longer.  I have to finish up with Mr. Java, then I have to help that little filly..."  She breathed out in fatigue, but she kept her smile.  This fair had turned out to be a lot of work, but it was still very worthwhile.  "You can look around, or you can get some snacks...  I mean, if you don't mind waiting, that is..."

After speaking to Lore, Fluttershy turned her attention back to Java and the serval.  The cat was now lying on the pony's neck, and even seemed to be grooming him.  This was very good!  As she approached the pair, she couldn't help saying "Aw, don't you look cute together!" as she looked the feline in the eyes.  She listened as the big made made the odd vocalizations the animal was known for, and nodded her head.  "Well," she said, smiling, "Since you seem so sure!"  She turned her attention to Java, and told him, "Well, Mr Java, since you two seem to be getting along so well, would you like to fill out some some adoption forms?  And, we can talk about how best to care for your new friend!"

Fluttershy stopped by her own refreshment table, looking to get a quick drink.  Angel Bunny passed the pony a glass of lemonade, which Fluttershy took gratefully.  "Thank you Angel!" she said, giving the rabbit a quick rub between his ears.  Angel leaned into the affection, then looked around quickly, as if hoping nopony had seen that... 

Fluttershy took a moment to finish the glass before turning back to the fair.  "Ok Angel, where did that little filly go?" she asked the bunny.  Angel pointed with a paw, indicating the dog area.  While none of the animals here were confined, the dog pack always seemed to gather together.  It made their area one of the liveliest at the fair, was well as the noisiest.  The air was fill with happy yips and barks as the dogs played together.  Fluttershy trotted over to them, and soon had dogs bouncing all around her, some jumping to get her attention.  The pony smiled, but told the canines, "Now now, everyone calm down!"  Almost instantly, the animals all sat down, many with their tongues lolling out out of their mouths. 

Fluttershy was finally able to turn her attention to the young filly.  "I'm sorry to have kept you waiting!" she apologized, kneeling down to meet the foal.  "What's your name?" she asked.  She then saw that the filly was looking past her, frowning at something.  "Um, is everything ok?" she asked, concerned.

2zxqgy1.jpg

“No need to apologize, Miss Fluttershy!”, the little filly’s frown quickly faded away. One could never be grouchy when surrounded by so many pups! She wondered how the older pony managed to get any sleep considering she spent most of her time either saving the world from monsters and bad guys, along with taking care of all these animals. She also appeared to be twice as pretty up close. Phooey! None of her silly brothers were good enough for this gal! “My name’s Wind Walker.”

“As for the.”, she quickly shifted back into a frown before returning to her more cheerful expression, “Dad’s just being a goof over there. Please don’t pay any attention to him.” As silly as her father was being today, she did enjoy his company. Both of her parents had been busy following their move to Ponyville, so it was a rather dig deal for the filly to be able to spend the day with at least one of her parents.

“I was here to pick a pet, but I believe this little guy has picked me!”, she glanced over at the small dog who was now resting near her hooves. Corgi were basically the ponies of the canine family. They had stumpy little legs, were easy to befriend and always seemed to have happy little smiles on their faces. "What can you tell me about this pup?"

• 1 month later...

Permission given to skip Java

"But, um, I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to wait a bit longer.  I have to finish up with Mr. Java, then I have to help that little filly..."  She breathed out in fatigue, but she kept her smile.  This fair had turned out to be a lot of work, but it was still very worthwhile.  "You can look around, or you can get some snacks...  I mean, if you don't mind waiting, that is..."

"No problem at all," Lore said with a smile as he let Fluttershy attend to the other ponies. There was one in particular that the unicorn watched: a Pegasus filly who seemed to have found a dog that took an instant liking to her. He could only hope that he could find a pet so easily. Somehow in his mind the stallion didn't envision himself as having a "normal" pet like a dog or a cat even though he did like them. There were a whole host of creatures here from the common to the strange like snakes and a porcupine. Was that a bear he saw in the distance?

"Ok, so Twilight has an owl," Lore said wile having a cookie, "which I know how well things work between them. I can't see me being allowed to bring something huge to the library and definitely no snakes! The Princess would be terrified if she saw one in the library!"

Nothing seemed to call out to him right away as he looked around. Hopefully Fluttershy had more to show than what he could see.

Archived