[Ponyville] The Animal Adoption Fair (PM for invite)

Corsair

The twins ooohed and ahhhed at the sight of the owls, spontaneously breaking into song.

"Oh my! This will be a tough choice!"

"Yes, the Snow Owl is nice and flashy,"

"And the Barn Owl looks very smart."

Finishing together, they added;

"And the Eagle Owl looks speedy and full of heart!"

At a forlorn look from the Screech Owl, they sheepishly spoke to the owl "I am sorry, but the neighbors would complain abut the noise when we are at home..."

Shanna sighed "That still leaves us three choices..."

Hoss hmmed "Or one since we both sang about the Eagle owl together?"

Shanna nodded and spoke to the owls "How do you feel about it? Do you have anything to add?"

(If the birds are extra charming, they may leave with two owls ;-) )

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fluttershy frowned for just a moment, thinking of what pet would be best suited to the Mayor. She was a busy mare, and probably wouldn't want a pet that was too energetic, and one that would not get in the way during her duties. The answer was obvious after a moment. "I'll be right back!" she said to the Mayor.

In a moment Fluttershy had returned with an adult cat. "This kitty belonged to a pegasus that had to move up to Cloudsdale, and she couldn't take her along. I didn't think you'd want a kitten, because they take a lot of attention, but this kitty is already trained, and just needs some love."

A cat. It was unexpected but the Pegasus' suggestion piked the Mayor's interest. She had never thought of herself as a catpony but she trusted the Pegasus' intuition. The Mayor looked at the kitty as it just sat there meowing at her, and those eyes. How could one resist those eyes? She was sold. She gave her a pet on the head as the cat purred and brushed against her leg.

"She's perfect! Where do I sign? Oh does she have a name?"

• 2 weeks later...

Even after Sky Flare released her, Fluttershy could only stand there stiffly for a moment. She was happy that Sky was so happy, and that was warring with her usual bashfulness. She finally managed a small smile as he apologized, the words tumbling out of his mouth rapidly, until "which was cool and you are cute and..."

Fluttershy's eyes went wide, her whole face went bright red, and she immediately retreated behind her hanging mane. No matter how much Rarity had tried to build up her confidence on this subject, Fluttershy just couldn't take complements on her looks. She immediately retreated into herself, not looking at the stallion.

Sky Flare seemed to sense that he had said too much. "Anyway, of course I'll donate! I mean you helped me find Dart here. And you have to help other ponies find pets, right? So it'll be my pleasure!" Fluttershy heard but did not see the bits dropping into the box. Without looking at Sky, she managed to say "Um... thank you... for the donation I mean..."

The screech owl looked a bit disappointed at being left out, but flapped to a higher branch away from the pegusi and the larger birds.

Fluttershy decided to tell some details about the remaining three birds so the twins would be able to make a decision more easily. "Well, snowy owls like colder places, but they can live where it's warmer too. The males can be all white, but this female has black bars on her feathers." The snowy owl extended her wings to show off her barred primaries. "They can also be very protective of their nests, and their friends."

"Barn owls can live almost anywhere, and have excellent hearing," Fluttershy went on, "And the feathers on their wings make it so they can fly almost silently." The owl demonstrated this by flapping into the air, then making a low dive over the heads of the ponies. Barely a whisper of sound could be heard as she passed overhead.

"The eagle owl is one of the biggest owls there is," Fluttershy went on, "They usually have orange eyes, and they have those neat tufts of feathers on their head called ear tufts, but that's not where their ears really are," the pegasus giggled. The big bird spread out his wings, showing their impressive span.

Fluttershy lit up at the Mayor's reaction. "Oh, that's wonderful! I thought you two would be a good match!" The pegasus thought for a moment about the older mare's question. "I think her previous owners just called her 'Kitty,' so you could probably call her anything you'd like!"

Fluttershy paused before continuing. "Here's the papers, Ms. Mayor, but, um, you don't have to donate any thing, if you don't want. I mean you already made it so the town helps support the shelter. I'd feel bad to ask you for anything else..."

Fluttershy was watching Sliverbolt depart with Nero when she heard a small voice from below.

"Excuse me, could you please take a look at my pet? He hasn't felt well for several days and no pony else has been able to help me! I was told to come to you for help... that is.... if... you a-aren't too busy."

To her surprise, she recognized the little colt asking for help. Timid Star had helped out at the last Winter Wrap Up, and had had his dog with him at the time. "Timid? What's wrong with..." she started, then she noticed the dog draped across his back. "Boney! Oh my goodness!" she cried out, scooping the doggie up in her hooves. She laid him gently on the ground and gave the dog a brief examination. Boney was listless and barely moved when she touched him.

Fluttershy glanced around frantically at all the ponies who were still here for the fair. She couldn't just leave them, but this was more important. Making a decision, she looked for and found the white bunny looming protectively over the dontation box. Fluttershy picked up Boney once again. "Timid, you come with me, and tell me what happened," she said to the colt. She then called out across the crowd, "Angel Bunny! Emergency! You're in charge!" before flying toward her cottage.

Angel got a stunned look on his face for a moment, but it slowly morphed into a more calculating grin...

Timid turned his head back to Fluttershy, surprised that she didn't get angry with him like most ponies did when things went wrong for him. He sighed with relief as Fluttershy took Boney in her hooves, easing his burden. Seeing her become frantic when Boney barely responded to her touch, made him feel both guilty and relieved that she was going to take the time to help him.

He followed Fluttershy to her cottage, his heart racing with worry for his sick pet, it took every ounce of his will to maintain focused and not completely break down and run away in fear. Responding to her question, Timid said shakily, "I don't know what exactly happened as I was busy studying my magic a few days ago. He was fine then, but now even though he eats and drinks normally, he has been like this. I've tried everything, healing magics I've been studying and vet visits as well.". He then had the unthinkable thought that maybe Boney was dying of natural causes. This thought made Timid burst into tears and cry, "Please Boney, don't die on me!!! You have been my closest friend since I was a little foal, living in the Gallopacus Islands!!".

Blossomforth had heard of the pet fair in the town newspaper. Her days had been lonely in her new cottage, her work being slow as usual, and felt like she needed something else in her life. A pet was just what was needed to fill that gap. Blossom had heard of the pegasus called Fluttershy in the short time she'd been here but never met the shy pony face to face. She arrived to see some ponies, the Mayor, some youngsters, and an array of animals set out or hidden for adoption. She saw the pegasus whom seemed to be Fluttershy and asked, "Hello, miss. Are your Fluttershy and organizing this adoption?"

"I think her previous owners just called her 'Kitty,' so you could probably call her anything you'd like!"

"Hmmm a name..." She pondered. "I'm not good with naming animals, I would be glad if you'd suggest a name for her."

"Here's the papers, Ms. Mayor, but, um, you don't have to donate any thing, if you don't want. I mean you already made it so the town helps support the shelter. I'd feel bad to ask you for anything else..."

"Nonsense! I did my part but I insist that I donate like any other Pony. I do know that it's difficult to take care of these animals alone so here's 10 bits for you!"

Before Fluttershy could say anything, the Mayor placed 10 bits on the reception table that was beside them and smiled at Fluttershy. She eagerly awaited what Fluttershy had in mind for the name of the little cat. Calling her 'Kitty' would be to impersonal, but the Mayor didn't know what else to call her. Since Fluttershy had experience with the cat for a while now, maybe she had something good in mind.

The twin ooohed and ahhhed appreciatively at the owls.

Suddenly Fluttershy was called away for an emergency in her veterinary role and leaving a bunny in charge of all things.

Shanna and Hoss looked at each other with vague unease after seeing the wicked gleam of power in the bunny's eyes.

The owls gave a nervous glance at the rabbit and pointed their wings to the tree to continue the pet interview. This rabbit spooks owls? Clearly this was no ordinary bunny.

Following their lead, the twins flew up into the darker reaches of the treetop, and landed on some sturdy branches.

As their eyes got used to the dimmer light, the snow owl brought them some tea from the buffet table below. Shanna smiled "Oh! Thank you!" while her brother agreed "Yes, thank you. This is a surprise!"

The eagle owl smirked and swooped down, grabbing up a plate of sandwiches for the twins.

The twins looked at each other "Well the snowy owl is very flashy and she brought us this tea..." Hoss nodded "And this Eagle Owl can grab larger loads than she can."

Shanna and Hoss looked at the owls, with Shanna smiling at the snowy owl, and Hoss at the big Eagle Owl. "We have made our decisions, if you would like to be our friends and pets?"

After they answer, the twins poked their heads out of the treetop "We have reached an agreement. where do we sign?"

• 2 weeks later...

((Sorry for the delay, I had a PM from another pony that wanted to join and hasn't yet posted. Moving forward.))

"I don't know what exactly happened as I was busy studying my magic a few days ago. He was fine then, but now even though he eats and drinks normally, he has been like this. I've tried everything, healing magics I've been studying and vet visits as well."

Fluttershy was thinking rapidly as she flew with Boney back to her cottage. Her special talent might be communicating with animals, but in situations like this she needed more details than the dog could give her. She also knew that she was not a veterinarian; first aid and convalescence were more her specialty. She worried that Boney would need more help than she could provide.

The pegasus burst through the door of her cottage, but then gently laid Boney on her well-lit work table. The poor doggie was still listless, but a check relieved that his temperature wasn't high. His gums were normal in color, for a dog at least, and when offered a bowl of water, Boney lapped it up with no difficulty.

On a hunch, Fluttershy began feeling along Boney's belly. Turning to the frantic colt she asked him "Timid, have any of Boney's toys or bones gone missing lately?"

Fluttershy saw another mare arrive from the sky. She seemed to be drawing a lot of pegusii to the fair today. She recognized the off-white mare from the training sessions that Rainbow Dash had had all of the Ponyville pegusii participate in, but didn't know her name. The freckles made her face stand out though.

"Hello, miss. Are your Fluttershy and organizing this adoption?"

"Um, yes, I'm Fluttershy," she answered, smiling. "What can I help you with, Miss...?"

"Hmmm a name... I'm not good with naming animals, I would be glad if you'd suggest a name for her."

Fluttershy was a bit surprised that the Mayor didn't want to name the kitty herself, but she did have something in mind. "Well, um, she's always seemed to like watching me write, and she has that black patch of fur on her back. I've been calling her 'Inky.'"

"Nonsense! I did my part but I insist that I donate like any other Pony. I do know that it's difficult to take care of these animals alone so here's 10 bits for you!"

"T-thank you, Miss Mayor," Fluttershy said in response to the donation. "I'll put it to good use, I promise."

"We have reached an agreement. where do we sign?"

Angel looked up at the matching pegusii in the treetop. He gestured curtly at them to come down to his level. The bunny shuffled through some of the papers on the tabletop before handing over two forms to the twins.

He watched the twins as they signed, impatiently tapping his hind foot. He snatched the papers away from the ponies before scampering over to the donation box. With an obviously faked smile, he gestured expectantly to the box, waiting for the pair to respond.

Timid replied frantically, "Uh. I think his ball has gone missing.". He thought for a moment as Fluttershy felt Boney's belly and said, "Wait a minute. Are you saying he could have eaten his ball?". Timid was shocked, he never thought that Boney would eat his toys, considering he was well fed. He managed to laugh but clung to Fluttershy as he looked up at her like she was his only hope for making Boney feel better.

"Um, yes, I'm Fluttershy," Fluttershy answered, smiling. "What can I help you with, Miss...?" "Hello, I come here looking for a pet. Well that is pretty obvious." Blossomforth gave an awkward smile. She took a look about the different pens. Ducks, snakes, bunnies, and various other creatures. "I'd prefer a small non-flying animal. Have any suggestions?"

Sky was going to try and help Fluttershy. He felt really bad making her feel awkward for hugging her. It was odd that a hug could make a pony get all uncomfortable.

Bufore he could help her however Fluttershy dashed into the house carrying a dog with presumably its owner in tow.

With her gone, Sky wandered around the fair area, his new pet Dart flying closely nearby. Maybe he could find a pony to strike up a conversation with.

(OOC: I am not sure its my post but after a week, I might as well )

The twin pegasi came out of the tree and landed at the application desk, with the owls landing on their backs a moment later, using the straps of their saddlebags as clawpads.

They each took a quill in their mouths and filled out the forms, jerking their heads back in surprise when the forms were snatched away simultaneously.

The twins looked at each other and nodded "Donations? Well, of course we will."

Each raised a wing and dipped their muzzles into a pouch strapped to the wingroot and dropped in twenty bits each. "Thank Fluttershy for us, please"

Hoss nickered and looked at the ponies arriving to see the pets. "Since we still have time before our midday nap, how about we stick around for a bit and get some attention for the other owls who need a home?"

Shanna smiled "Oh yes! Great idea! and it will give our new friends time to say goodbye to the other owls."

Their new pets hooted agreement and hugged their necks.

Shanna hmmed "What to name them though? Would naming a snow owl Blizzard be too much?" Her owl nuzzled her to show she liked the name "Oh! So Blizzard is fine? Will Blizzy for short be okay?" Shanna giggled when the owl nodded happily. "All right! Blizzard and Blizzy it is!"

Hoss hmmed and tapped a hoof to the ground in thought "And my owl is so big! What to name you.... Would "Titan" work for you?"

The Eagle Owl hooted happily and nodded.Hoss smiled "All right. Hello Titan!"

Happily, the group sat in the shade of the tree, getting to know each other and ready to answer questions from pet seekers.

[[ OCC: Last post for me here. At least Fluttershy will have one less Pony to worry about lol. ]]

Fluttershy was a bit surprised that the Mayor didn't want to name the kitty herself, but she did have something in mind. "Well, um, she's always seemed to like watching me write, and she has that black patch of fur on her back. I've been calling her 'Inky.'"

"Inky!" The Mayor squeed with glee. "What a delightful name!"

Inky leaped unto the Mayors back and let out a proud purr. She had responded to the name and liked it no doubt. The Mayor could quickly see this becoming a daily habit and something to keep her sane while rummaging through all those papers at work.

"T-thank you, Miss Mayor," Fluttershy said in response to the donation. "I'll put it to good use, I promise."

"No," the Mayor reached out her hoof and shaked Fluttershy's, "thank you! And I have to get going. More work to be done at the town hall. I'll see you around Fluttershy and congratulations on a successful adoption fair! Come now Inky let me show you to your new home."

"Uh. I think his ball has gone missing."

Fluttershy nodded, hoping her guess was right, because the next part was going to be... yucky. She flapped up to a high cabinet, and grabbed a bottle of thick liquid. "Timid?" she called to the colt, "I need you to hold on to this for a minute, um, please." She handed the bottle to the colt, then carefully picked Boney back up.

She carried the listless dog out into the yard again, then around the corner away from the ponies at the fair. She set the dog down gently, then took the bottle back from Timid. "Now Boney," she said to the dog, firmly, "This isn't going to taste very nice, but it's for your own good." Fluttershy uncapped the bottle and poured it into Boney's mouth. She then stepped back to wait for the... consequences...

"Hello, I come here looking for a pet. Well that is pretty obvious. I'd prefer a small non-flying animal. Have any suggestions?"

Fluttershy smiled a little at the white mare. "Well, I'm happy you want to adopt an animal," she said to her. Fluttershy's face then got thoughtful. She had a dozen ideas of great pets, but that was the problem. "But, um..." she began, uncertainly. "Small and non-flying can be a lot of things. Do you want a fuzzy animal you can pet and cuddle? Do you want a scaly animal that's quick, or one that's tough? If I know that, I can help you find something perfect! Um, if you don't mind, that is."

Angel greedily rubbed his paws together when twin ponies dropped coins into the donation box. Visions of a gilded sleeping basket with a real down mattress floated through his head. Images of elaborate desserts from his favorite cookbook... Fluttershy was just doing things too slowly. All these ponies wandering around didn't need a perfect pet, they just needed to empty the shelter out some more! Oh, and donate lots of bits of course.

The little white bunny looked up to the paint twins with their owls and gestured for for them to move out of his way. They'd already done their part, now they were just taking up space. He then spotted a stallion who was aimlessly wandering through the fair. If he wanted things to speed up around here, he might have to take things into his own paws. He scampered up to the pony and locked him with a stare. Stamping his foot with impatience, he gestured to the animals, and then to the donation box as if to say "Hey! Pick something already!"

At that moment, Fluttershy was winging back from her cabin after treating Boney. She noticed the twins, both carrying an owl, and Angel confronting another pony. She witnessed Angel's behavior as she came up behind him. "Angel Bunny!" she said in a shocked tone of voice. "That is no way to treat our guests!"

Angel froze, his ears going straight up, and his eyes going wide. He cautiously turned toward the hovering yellow pony with a big grin on his face... to find assertive Fluttershy glaring down at him.

"Now you apologize to that nice pony, Mister!" Fluttershy said to the naughty bunny, her front hooves folded over her chest. She watched as the bunny turned back to the stallion and bowed his head. He then turned back to Fluttershy with a hopeful grin, but the pony held her glare. "Now, you go back to the cottage and clean up!" she ordered. The rabbit nodded, then ran under Fluttershy back toward the cottage. Fluttershy turned to watch him go, and called out, "No dessert for you tonight Mr. Bunny!"

At that, Fluttershy relaxed and dropped to the ground. She turned to the pony Angel has been confronting, saying "I'm so very sorry, sir..." but the stallion had taken the reprieve to gallop away. Disappointed, Fluttershy hung her head. However, when she caught sight of the twin pegusii both carrying owls, she perked right back up.

"Oh my goodness, you both got an owl? Oh, that's wonderful!" she gushed. "I'm so happy for all of you, and I'm so so sorry for Angel Bunny. I hope he wasn't too rude to you.."

Sky saw that Fluttershy had returned from the cottage and made a beeline to the rabbit who seemed to be harassing the other ponies at the fair.

"So... um... how's the dog that I saw you take into your house? He looked pretty sick. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Zecorafbanner.jpg

Zecora had been starting to feel lonely in her hut out in the EverFree Forest and had heard about the adoptions that Fluttershy was having, it sounded like just the ticket for her situation and she headed off for the pegasus's small home with a bag of bits hanging over her right flank since she would never expect to take a dear animal for free. When she arrived her eyes laid on the sight of Fluttershy showing off her assertiveness to her bunny whom was rather bratty and rude and it made the Zebra smile to see the Mare stand up for herself.

"Greetings dear Fluttershy! I heard you were adopting pets and thought I might give it a try" She said giving her a kind smile "Though the woods are a dangerous place to roam, I would love a companion to share my home"

Zecora tapped her chin as she tried to think of the perfect pet that would suit her just fine "Something strong and quick of wit, so that the darkness will not set it into a fit but it must be kind to give my guests peace of mind"

She certainly hoped Fluttershy had something to suit her if not she would leave a donation anyways since Fluttershy did so much to help the poor animals that needed her help.

The twins were relaxing and bonding with their owls as they made their goodbyes to their friends, when the bunny that accepted their money apparently got greedy from the sum they had put in the box and started accosting ponies.

The owls and the twins looked at each other, then back at the spectacle of the bunny trying to bully ponies into taking pets.

Fortunately, Fluttershy came back out and stopped what they now heard was Angel bunny and made him go back to the cabin.

"Angel bunny? Shouldnt' that be Devil Bunny?"

Fluttershy came to them to check on them and apologize for Angel bunny's behavior. Shanna smiled "Oh, he wasnt a problem once we were up in a tree."

"Yeah, the owls invited us up there to keep us away from him and we came to an agreement."

"Yes, mine is Blizzard, and his owl is Titan, and we agree they would be safer in Cloudsdale where Angel cant come..."

Both of the pegasi and the owls laughed at that.

"Anyway, we're going to stick around a bit and see if our example can get more of your owls adopted, if you dont mind?"

Timid watched and waited as Fluttershy gave Boney the thick liquid. Boney struggled in Fluttershy's hooves as he tasted the liquid. It tasted absolutely revolting! He swallowed it though and immediately felt even more ill, whimpering as his stomach did cartwheels. Boney started to gag and cough, Timid watching closely with concern and fascination, "Come on Boney! You can do it! Give me the ball!", he exclaimed. Boney whimpered, chest heaving, as the ball was ejected from his mouth and rebounding off a tree, striking Timid in the head.

Eyes swirling, Timid, said, "Thank you Fluttershy. He's all better now, I think." Looking over at Boney, he could see him slowly recovering from the accidental ingestion of the ball, he gave a smile to Boney.

• 2 weeks later...

((Sorry this is so late, been having trouble making myself sit down and write. /slaps his own hooves))

Fluttershy watched as Boney, um, got the ball out of his system.

"Thank you Fluttershy. He's all better now, I think."

She smiled down at Timid. "Oh, it was no problem. Just make sure Boney gets a lot of water today. Um, after his belly settles down that is," she told him. She then turned back to the recovering dog. "And you, Boney, you need to be more careful with your toys," she said in mock severity. She then broke back into a smile and began scratching Boney's ears. "Oh, you're a good boy, I know you didn't meant to do it," she told the dog. "Now you just rest for a bit, I need to go back to the Fair."

"Oh, he wasnt a problem once we were up in a tree."

"Yeah, the owls invited us up there to keep us away from him and we came to an agreement."

"Yes, mine is Blizzard, and his owl is Titan...

Fluttershy gasped in happiness. "Oh, that's wonderful!" she exclaimed. 'I'm so happy for all of you!"

"...and we agree they would be safer in Cloudsdale where Angel cant come..."

At this, Fluttershy glanced in the direction where Angel had run off. "Oh, Angel Bunny is a darling, really," she said tenderly, "He wouldn't hurt a fly."

"Anyway, we're going to stick around a bit and see if our example can get more of your owls adopted, if you dont mind?"

"Oh, of course you can stay!" Fluttershy smiled back at the twins. "There are still several ponies here that have already gotten pets, and there are still plenty of refreshments."

Just then Sky Flare and Dart approached.

"So... um... how's the dog that I saw you take into your house? He looked pretty sick. Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Oh, Hello Sky!" Fluttershy said. "Oh, Boney will be just fine, he just ate something that he shouldn't have."

"Greetings dear Fluttershy! I heard you were adopting pets and thought I might give it a try. Though the woods are a dangerous place to roam, I would love a companion to share my home"

Fluttershy looked up in surprise at the newest arrival. "Oh! Zecora!" she exclaimed. "How nice to see you!" The pegasus' eye widened as the zebra's statement sunk in. Fluttershy beamed at her. "That's wonderful! I'm sure there's an animal here that would be perfect for you!"

"Something strong and quick of wit, so that the darkness will not set it into a fit but it must be kind to give my guests peace of mind"

Fluttershy placed a hoof under her muzzle in thought. An owl certainly fit those qualifications, but she'd just adopted two owls to the twins. A domestic pet wouldn't be happy out in the forest where Zecora lived. So, something wild, something clever, something was wouldn't mind the darkness... An idea sparked in Fluttershy, but a worry as well. The animal she had in mind was perfect, but she was also still injured. Fluttershy would normally not adopt a pet in that condition, but, then, this was Zecora. Still, she had better ask. "Um, Zecora, I have something in mind, but the poor thing is still in recovery. Do you think you could take care of her until she gets better?"

(OOC: It was fun, but I'm going to have Sky Flare exit now. Thanks for the fun RP!)

"Well that's good to hear that that dog's going to be ok. Actually I have to get going. I have an Aeroblades practice tommorrow and I need to practice a little by myself. But thanks for the pet, Fluttershy. Hopefully I'll see you around."

With that Sky left the fair with his pet Dart resting on his shoulder.

"Alright, Dart. Are you ready to see your new home?"

"Caw," the bird said in response.

"Ok then. Well, lets go then!"

With that bird and pegasus took off into the clouds.

(Exit Sky Flare)

Regality sighed happily, thinking about his wonderful life. Everything had gone so right lately. He had a fillyfriend, and soon he was going to open his very own jewlery store. He had always dreamed about that store, and he wa spending his free time making more diamond items for it.

But something was missing. As the colt began to enter stallion-hood, he began to think a little bit about his regrets as a young person. He was trying to fulfil these wishes. One of his unfulfilled wishes was to have a pet of his very own, to love and take care of.

He readjusted his flowing black cape, which covered him like a foal's comfort blanket. The emerald pony continued on his way to Fluttershy's Pet Adoption Fair, his eagerness growing step by step. Regality had never been good at predicting what would be beneficial to him, so he decided it would be good to consult an expert about something as important as a pet.

As he entered the scene, he saw all kinds of ponies and pets wandering about. They all looked so happy, and Regality couldn't wait to steal some of that happiness for himself. Not quite knowing what to say, he waited to be spoken to, observing the scene closer.

((Sorry this is so late, been having trouble making myself sit down and write. /slaps his own hooves))

Fluttershy watched as Boney, um, got the ball out of his system.

"Thank you Fluttershy. He's all better now, I think."

She smiled down at Timid. "Oh, it was no problem. Just make sure Boney gets a lot of water today. Um, after his belly settles down that is," she told him. She then turned back to the recovering dog. "And you, Boney, you need to be more careful with your toys," she said in mock severity. She then broke back into a smile and began scratching Boney's ears. "Oh, you're a good boy, I know you didn't meant to do it," she told the dog. "Now you just rest for a bit, I need to go back to the Fair."

Timid was incredibly grateful for Fluttershy's help. Her way with animals amazed him as he returned her smile. He replied, "I'll make sure to give him everything he needs when his stomach is ready for it. I was so scared, he's been my closest companion and protector since I was born..." He trailed off as he moved and planted his rump next to Boney, as he looked at his pet with kindness and love.

Boney tipped and wagged his tail a little when Fluttershy scratched his ears. He listened to her tell him he was a good boy and his wagging intensified, his tail a blur of joy. "I'll be right here for a while, Fluttershy. I won't leave until I'm sure he's ready to travel on all 4 paws.", Timid said in response to Fluttershy telling them she needed to go back to the Fair.

Zecorafbanner.jpg

"Why ofcourse I can! I am sure you will agree but helping the injured is my specialty" She said and nodded, though was wondering what sort of animal it was, and for that matter was wondering how severed the poor dear was injured! "Fluttershy I do not mean to pry, but does the animal fly?" She didn't know if she could use a flying animal in her hut since.. breakable jars everywhere oooh she could hear the crashing now.

"But I will do my best, I'm sure it still needs lots of rest" The poor thing was obviously healing but Zecora was fully confident that she could ease any pain that the poor creature had and love it as it were her own.

Zecora was also thrilled to hear that the animal in question was a female, she already had a name picked out for a female, she was going to name her after her favorite plant for soothing eyes "EyeBright" "Please lead the way if It is not out of your way" She nodded seeing more ponies coming and that was nice, but Zecora wanted to see this animal.

(OOC: I fell off the face of the world for a time, Sorry)

Fluttershy smiled a little at the white mare. "Well, I'm happy you want to adopt an animal," she said to her. Fluttershy's face then got thoughtful. She had a dozen ideas of great pets, but that was the problem. "But, um..." she began, uncertainly. "Small and non-flying can be a lot of things. Do you want a fuzzy animal you can pet and cuddle? Do you want a scaly animal that's quick, or one that's tough? If I know that, I can help you find something perfect! Um, if you don't mind, that is."

What would be the best pet for her? Scaly just made her skin crawl. A snake in my house? Or a lizard? That would drive me insane. Reptilians didn't suite her. Just the way some lizards eyes dart around and their long tongues. Plus the feel of their skin made her own crawl. "I would much rather have a soft a furry pet. Wait! I know what would be fine. a Labrador dog. Do you have any?" Blossomforth had only seen pictures of what she pictured adorable puppies.

• 2 weeks later...

Fluttershy was glad to Boney responding better. It couldn't have been comfortable with that ball knotting up his belly. She left a large bowl of water for the dog to lap to settle his stomach down.

"I'll be right here for a while, Fluttershy. I won't leave until I'm sure he's ready to travel on all 4 paws."

"Oh, of course, Timid," She told the colt. "You two take as much time as you need." With a flap, she ascended a hoof or so above the ground. Before leaving, she looked down at the pair and added, "Oh, and if Boney has any more problems, you can come back here again. Um, if you want."

"Why of course I can! I am sure you will agree, but helping the injured is my specialty"

Fluttershy smiled in relief. Zecora was definitely more of a healer than she was, but it was just polite to ask in a situation like this.

"Fluttershy I do not mean to pry, but does the animal fly?"

The tone in the Zebra's voice said that she hoped not. Fluttershy could see how a bird might be a problem in Zecora's hut with so many breakable jars and containers. She was now very glad she hadn't chosen an owl. "Oh, no, she doesn't fly," she answered. "Just come with me for a moment, if you don't mind, that is."

She lead the zebra over to a shaded area behind the cottage. Here were several animals that she hadn't put out in the fair, either because they where still recovering, or because, well... some of them didn't like ponies very much. A vaguely chicken-like shape with serpentine eyes glared out of a dark alcove, until Fluttershy looked in that direction. The creature relaxed and backed off.

Fluttershy approached a wooden hutch and hoofed open the door. There were no locked cages around here, but an enclosed space helped many animals to relax. "Wake up, sweetie," Fluttershy called, softly. "There's somepony that wants to meet you."

Limping, a gray fox emerged into the light. Her fur looked a bit bedraggled, and she had a cast on her foreleg, and bandages around her chest. "This poor dear got into a fight with a big meany of a timber wolf," Fluttershy told Zecora. "But she was quick enough to get away. She still has a few weeks before the cast can come off."

Fluttershy noticed a shudder go through the pegasus at the mention of reptiles. She didn't understand why anypony would be scared of a little snake or a lizard, but she'd seen the reaction often enough.

"I would much rather have a soft a furry pet. Wait! I know what would be fine. a Labrador dog. Do you have any?"

Fluttershy brightened at that. She'd not adopted out any dogs today as of yet. "Oh sure!" she said to the mare, excitedly. "Just this way!" Fluttershy flitted over to the area where the pack was playing and resting. As the yellow pegasus landed, she was immediately surrounded by excited dogs, yipping and jumping at her. "Now now, calm down," she chided them gently, smiling all the while. The canines immediately backed off, but most still wagged their tails in excitement.

Fluttershy singled out two doggies from the pack, and pointed them out to the white pegasus. "Well, we have one yellow lab here, she's about 2 years old, and then we have this little chocolate lab, he's only about 6 months old."

Archived