Ponies & Dragons - Episode 1: A Tail of Two Cities

Starburst

Bramble stared wide-eyed as the mare drank down the potent brew. He shook his head in disbelief, and slid his bits across the bar to replace the shot he hadn't tried. If they were going to .. he might as well, too. He was a real stallion, right?! He could take it!

"Oh, Blossom's doing great. She's always watching out for me, after all!" He decided not to tell her that Blossom had been asking him recently how long it takes ponies to grow up and find a mate. It wouldn't do his reputation any good if they found out his own companion refused to believe he was full-grown!

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before his nerve could fail him, Bramble lifted the shot glass to Ironmane in a toast to her health, then steeled himself and tossed back the shot glass. The vile brew hit his throat and Bramble's eyes bulged. It was like fire. It was like if someone took a fire that burns fire, as if someone had taken a flame and lit it on fire, and that hotter fire was distilled into liquid fire and served in a glass. Bramble choked, coughed, his throat closing up in a frantic effort of self-defense.

Bramble barely had the presence of mind to turn his mind away from Ironmane, and the mouthful of iridescent pain spewed out over the wooden table. Bramble could barely see from the tears that sprung into his eyes. He wiped at his tongue, which still felt like it had pain on it! Augh! Augh! He scrambled away from the smoking and burning table to the bar instead, where the bartender's chowder was, and plunged his muzzle into the bowl of chowder, his tongue slurping it into his mouth desperately!

I can hold it, Curtain Call thought to himself. He chanted it repeatedly, beseeching any deity that would hear him, to his lucky star, to his ancestors, anypony. 'I can hold it down' became his mantra, his reason to draw breath. Any minute now, fortune would smile upon him and end his suffering. Has it been only a minute? He couldn't be sure any longer. It felt like years had passed since he drank down that infernal brew. But he could hold it down. He had to. A mare was watching. 'I can hold it', he thought. His tortured mind and body will not give in to the uncontrollable desire to... no. Unthinkable. Though the temptation beckons him ever closer. He will hold out. He can hold out.

"NO I CAN'T"

And out the door he galloped to do... unpleasant things. From back inside the bar, ponies could hear the sounds of burning, of crying, and Curtain Call, crying out for water, for ice, for aloe vera. Then silence. Then he trotted back inside, adjusting his collar again, and sitting back at the bar like nothing out of the ordinary had occurred.

"...I don't suppose you have any cider."

Filt waves a wand, gathering the spat liquid with a fell swoop of the magical stick, depositing it into a metal bowl with a pipe coming down from the base of it. He pours a glass of milk for the ponies having issues with gastrointestinal stress and spoons more chowder into Brambles bowl. "I think we'll wait about 15 more minutes.. It doesn't appear that we have many volunteers.. Apparently ponies in Canterlot don't like to eat."

Curtains trots over to the warm welcome, taking nice and slow deep breaths thanks to the nasty afterburn as it started kicking in just now. Oh mercy, it still hurts. Not as bad, but it still hurts. He was certain he could now keep a conversation without bursting into tears, but yeah. Still hurts.

"Many thanks for the invite. Is it really going to be just us three?"

Bramble Rose gobbled up a little more, and then drew back, letting out a sigh of relief. "That's ... quite a brew you have there, indeed," he groaned, wiping at the white goo off his lips. He settles down onto his seat, joining the rest. "And not *just* the three of us. I have a friend outside of town who's going to help us. But she ... doesn't like being around ponies much."

Ironmane nodded, then turned her gaze on Curtain Call. "I am Ironmane, of the Order of our Lady of Beauty and Strength," she said, her formerly soft, sweet voice steeled a bit by pride. "This is Bramble Rose, my friend and, when I am fortunate, my companion on such endeavors." She smiles briefly, and pauses to allow Bramble to continue the introduction on his own.

Filt spoons some of the chowder into a wooden bowl and pushes it towards Curtain call. "The brew has been developed over the years to give it flavor. If you drink it enough, it tastes more like a spiced ale than a mouth-rending gout of flame. You mustn't ever get it into your eyes however. It has been known to cause temporary blindness when splashed into the face of an arguing mercenary.. and yes.. It appears that.. the appointed hour has come.."

"You three are apparently the only volunteers to solve this problem, and as such you will be journeying with me to the site of the caravan's departure and insuring that it reaches its destination. Of course.. you all will be given certification to enter Canterlot upon your arrival at the missions success. Once you all finish your food and wash up we shall depart." Filt begins to lock up the tavern, clicking a large iron key inside the lock on its back door.

Bramble Rose ducked his head politely as he was introduced. "A classically trained Floratheurge, and, I would like to pride myself, a fairly passable scout for endeavors such as this. While I can hold my own in a fight, I've often been quite pleased to have Ironmane along, the times things have gone sideways. Which seems more often than not, if she's around." He gave Ironmane a teasing grin.

"Nothing wrong with underway, then. With any luck, the fresh air will... ahem, clear my throat. Please, call me Curtain Call. I have... experience in the subtle art of espionage. It's the trade I'm most proficient with to be sure, but lately I'm looking for more honorable work."

There are an awful lot of smiles from these two. After seeing enough of these two, he couldn't help but crack one as well. With a reasonable amount of happiness (because old habits like paranoia die hard), he extended a hoof as the three rose from their seats.

Bramble happily turned to Curtain Call. "A pleasure to meet you, Curtain," he said, the delicate little purple unicorn laying his hoof in Curtain's. "Nothing wrong with a little spying in the name of what's right. Glad to have you along."

Then he turned and followed after the bartender, occassionally craning his neck to look past the buildings for landmarks to see which side of town they'd be leaving from. He'd need to give a howl for Thorn so she could join them once he was ready. "So, curtain," he asked curiously, "Ever worked on a banditry case before? Know what we can expect from them?"

"I have, actually." This was not a lie. This was an omission of truth. What he didn't feel like actually saying was the fact that he was one of the attackers, not defenders. Tactics, thankfully, are one of those things that are unaffected by tinted lenses. He did suddenly feel a bit of grime in his soul for shaking hooves. "Ambush fighters like tunnel vision, big distractions, stragglers or just in-general low guard. Sticking together is the best thing for us. Vulgar displays of power has a lovely way of saying 'I am not a target' as well."

The old one dons a brown traveling cloak, and grabs a wooden staff. The staff however, looks quite extraordinary and valuable. When looking at the staff it appears as if Rubies have grown up the side of the staff like the veins of a tree branch, topping off with a Large Red gemstone as big as ones hooves. The light reflecting off the sheen of the polished staff casts pink luminescence on the ground near Filt's hooves.

"Come now, we shouldn't tarry. If we don't get there soon the caravan will leave without us."

Filt walks outside to a small cart, big enough to hold three ponies and one.. other. He takes a seat at the drivers reins and lifts the ropes. After raising them into his hooves a ghostly horse appears inside the barding attached to a long wooden pole running across the center of the front of the cart. The horse isn't like any other pony you've ever seen. It's large, ghostly in form, and its mane is flaming from its head and back. Its form is clearly muscular in nature, and it looks extremely concentrated on the task ahead, not responding to any talking or speech from anyone else.

"Come come.. Everyone get in. Ponyville is miles away and we need to reach it before the caravan leaves."

( A Knowledge:Planes or Knowledge:Arcana gives information about the creature pulling the cart. )

( You rolled 18+8 on your arcana roll for knowledge. For a total of 26 on your roll. The DC was 22. )

You remember reading about this type of creature before. It's known as a nightmare, and the old one most likely created it using a dweomer that summons an extraplanar ally or some variation of a mount spell. You can't really determine its origins, because you aren't familiar with planes.. but you know that the creature itself is a rare denizen nonetheless.

Bramble's eyes widened to see the harnessed Nightmare. "My goodness. You aren't any ordinary barkeep, that's for certain! You must have quite the stories! I've only read about those in my studies!" He paused thoughtfully. "Is it sentient, or just a mindless creation in the form of a Nightmare?"

He let out a soft *oh* - "I mustn't forget to get my own cart... I'm not sure where the caravan is, but my cart is off in that direction." He gestured towards where his cart was still hidden under the trees. "My companion is watching over it."

Curtain's jaw drops. Is this what dread feels like? This horror, this thing of evil is supposed to come to their aid? He's heard of Unicorns calling forth fantastic beasts but this? He looked to his new allies for some comfort, some insight into this madness. They seemed... unmoved. Were they mad? Was he mad? The barkeep certainly was. Had to be. Curtain could feel a back hoof stepping away, beads of sweat forming. But he looked to Bramble once he chimed in. Was that wonder in his voice? Curiosity? Or was this creature infinitely less harmless than it appeared?

"All I need, my tools I mean, I keep on me. I'm... r-r-r-ready to climb aboard. You first."

The nightmare responds by turning its head towards the ponies climbing into the cart, exhaling. Though what comes out of his nostrils isn't air, but a hot jet of smoke which dissipates and rises lazily into the air.. Filt Firehorn laughs jovially and tightens the sash about his robes, he plants the staff into a receptacle in the cart and it glows white with runes of magic, the essence of the staff passing into the cart. From the wood it used to be, it lazily changes into illusory gold spreading outwards from the staff at its epicenter.

"With this our preparation will be complete. Who would attack a caravan when a cart made of gold is looming on the horizon?" Filt holds back a chuckle and holds the reins lazily in his hooves, waiting for the ponies to climb in.

Archived