[Ponyville - Carousel Boutique] A Dressmaker's Calling [FOLLOW-UP PHASE]

RarityDash

Hookline was happy to see that his new request pleased the designer, and she was making quite a few good points. The few suits she had looked good, there was no doubt, but she then explained how a custom-made suit could be designed just for him. The only difference was that he'd have to pay more and wait a couple days. Money was not an issue (considering Hookline rarely spent it on anything), and patience was his "talent," so the option seemed obvious. "If you can somehow make elites envious of this fisherpony, well, then Rarity you have a deal. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to help me, it really is-"

As Hookline was raising his hoof to shake hers, he stopped when he noticed a filly next to Rarity. She appeared to be an assistant of sorts, especially with those big glasses of hers. "Oh, well thank you. I'm Hookline." The stallion looked at her for a moment, then back at Rarity. "Is this your assistant?" The question didn't sound confused or worried, but simply curious. The curiosity did turn to confusion, however, as there was a sudden *thump* from behind him. Hookline turned around to see a well dressed stallion, who he could only assume was a regular of Rarity's. "I can wait if you need to speak with him." This statement was directed to Rarity as well. If an important customer just arrived, Hookline didn't want to be in the way. There wasn't much else for him to do the rest of the day anyways, so he wouldn't mind waiting his turn.

Rarity smiled as the fisherpony expressed interest in a custom option. Excellent. She smiled at him and started to speak, "Oh you better believe I can make--!"

"Oh, yes. There won't be a stallion there who wouldn't wish he was in your suit jacket!"

Rarity stopped herself when she heard those words. She stared at the filly who had popped up suddenly and almost collided with her. Her eyes narrowed.

"Umm..." she forced a laugh. "Sweetie, dear... what do you think you are doing?" she asked in strained voice, while trying to keep a smile.

Her sister knew better than to get in the way of business, right? She certainly hoped so. It was incredibly hard to tell with Sweetie. She was currently wearing a pair of Rarity's glasses and had her measuring tape? Oh dear Celestia, she didn't intend to help Rarity, did she? It was the sweetest sentiment, but Sweetie Belle was hardly a pony who could be called very dependable. This could be bad.

"Is this your assistant?" the fisherpony, Hookline, started, forcing Rarity to focus on him again.

She gave an awkward laugh and shook her head. "Oh, this is Sweetie Belle she's just my si--"

Rarity cut herself off as she looked toward the door, which had opened again. She wasn't prepared to see who she did. It was him! What was he doing here? He had come looking for her, why? Hadn't she made it abundantly clear at the Gala she was too good for an obnoxious, rude stallion like him? Ugh. How entirely troublesome.

"I can wait if you need to speak with him." Hookline again brought Rarity back to focus with some words. She looked at him and nodded. She flipped her mane back, looked away from the ill mannered prince.

"Nonsense, dear," Rarity said in a tone that was polite but masked some fierceness. "You were here first, so you will be served first. Anypony else will just have to wait should they have business here. If they don't like it, they can leave. Anything else would just be rude of me," she she gave a small huff, but smiled warmly at the fisherpony. "And rudeness is something I have little tolerance for."

She nodded, satisfied. "Now then, about this fine suit of yours I'll be making?" she asked, now pretending like the prince wasn't even there. "What were you thinking when it comes to the design? It is a custom piece after all, and I aim to always please the customer..."

Sweetie Belle smiled brightly to Hookline's question, though Rarity's dismissal of course was disappointing. To be fair, though, she hadn't shared the plan with Rarity yet. "But I hope to be her assistant, soon!" she said brightly, before the bell at the front door rang.

She turned her head along with everypony else, to see ... a big white blur? She nudged the glasses upwards with a hoof. Wow! What a handsome stallion! He looked *just* like that nephew Rarity had used to go on about all the time! But her sister was busy with a customer, which was only proper ...

Excitement surged through Sweetie Belle. This was her chance to be a good shop assistant! She started across the room with a quick step, but the blurry way the glasses made everything look made her slow down to a much more careful step. It was taking *forever* to *walk* everywhere! But she made it to Prince Blueblood and took on a dignified, prim expression. "Good morning," she said politely, her voice tight and airy as she mimiced Rarity's refined way of speaking. "I am afraid the fabulista, Rarity, is busy with another customer at the moment. Would you like to wait, or would you like to make an appointment?" The glasses were all well and good, but she had to write now, so she nudged her glasses up onto the top of her head, so that they were held up by her horn, and then slipped her tiny notepad out from her vest pocket. With her pencil in her teeth and her notepad held up by one little hoof, she looked up to Prince Blueblood to await his response.

• Like 1

(OOC: Sweetie Belle, stop being so adorable!)

"Nonsense, dear," Rarity said in a tone that was polite but masked some fierceness. "You were here first, so you will be served first. Anypony else will just have to wait should they have business here. If they don't like it, they can leave. Anything else would just be rude of me," she she gave a small huff, but smiled warmly at the fisherpony. "And rudeness is something I have little tolerance for."

Blueblood was incensed. That... that... commoner... was dictating terms to him? And somehow managing to claim _he_ was the rude one? This was worse than cakes, this was... he was so infuriated he could even think of a word, but whatever the word was, this was a very, very bad case of it! The whole point of queues and appointments was being able to use his status to ignore them! He had half a mind to leave (some ponies might have said this would have been devoting his entire brain-power to the task) but one thing stopped him. That was what she clearly wanted him to do.

Well she wasn't going to get rid of him that easily. He'd come all this way, subjected himself to the privations of a flying chariot and the dirt and dust of this commonplace little hamlet in order to get an outfit, and by his sainted great aunt, he was not leaving without one! He would show the true perseverance and dedication of his line, and endure the indignity. But the stalionware had better be utterly spectacular. The only outward sign of his struggle was a tightening of the lips. Then the little filly came over to him.

"Good morning, I am afraid the fabulista, Rarity, is busy with another customer at the moment. Would you like to wait, or would you like to make an appointment?"

Even he couldn't help but be charmed by the uttterly adorable filly, and a well spoken one too. The way she was acting so grown up only added to her cuteness. Surely she was not this Rarity's daughter, though the family resemblance was strong. He calmed himself, whatever his disagreements with the elder, he had no issues with this younger filly. He schooled his features into his most charming expression, which was very, and sighed theatrically.

"Thank you young lady. I am Prince Blueblood, and though I am not normally accustomed to waiting, I will wait. I was told by Hoity Toity that Rarity could provide the finest of custom attire. I, of course, require only the very finest. I do hope he wasn't exagerating her skills. I would hate to return to Canterlot empty hooved."

"Nice to meet you Sweetie Belle." Hookline made sure to say as she quickly ran off toward the fancy stallion. Her sister, Sweetie Belle, wasn't an assistant apparently, but the little filly seemed to have high hopes of getting the position. It was refreshing to see such a close pair of sisters. Rarity overwhelmingly joyed at her sister's presence, although she wasn't outright against it, so that had to mean something. The way she responded to him in regard to the new customer was much different, however. Though polite as she may speak to Hookline, it was obvious Rarity was aiming the harsh tone to the other stallion.

"I wouldn't think you were rude if you did so, but since you insist, thanks for the help." Hookline nodded his head and listened to Rarity's question, pondering for a moment over it. What did he think for a design? This fisherpony knew next to nothing when it came to fashion and he doubted any idea given by him would help the process. Nonetheless, he decided to give his thoughts since Rarity probably wouldn't have asked if she didn't need his input. "You can design it however you think will look best, but I'd rather it didn't look too...flashy." While he had no issue with fancy clothes, anything that sparkled would not suit him, more likely than not. A simple pony at heart, Hookline preferred that he didn't walk into a room and literally blind people. "Other than that, feel free to make it how you see fit." Much to his own surprise, this talk of the new outfit had him excited. At first Hookline had questioned whether he should really go to the palace at all, and now he felt confident that (once the suit was finished) he could proudly walk in there with his head held high.

"And if you could fix my pocket as well, time permitting." The cerulean stallion politely reminded her with a chuckle, wanting to be sure it was not forgot in all the excitement.

"No, Swee--" Rarity started as she watched her sister go up and speak to Blueblood. She cut off her protest as a delightful, if just moderately evil idea crossed her mind.

Rarity wasn't vindictive. It wasn't like her to hold grudges, certainly not. The Gala had just been hard on her. This stallion's behavior had been so grating it was hard to overlook. Even if she had found comfort with her close friends afterward, that night had been so embarrassing, uncomfortable and unpleasant that even now it came back to her in nightmares. More than anything it had been crushingly disappointing. All of it was because of this pony too. She wasn't one for cruelty, but she certainly didn't see any reason to be nice either. Given a chance to attend him had left her a little unsure how to proceed. It was her job to treat every customer with courtesy and respect, but here was one pony who didn't really warrant it.

That's where Sweetie came in. Sweetie was a doll. The sweetest sister Rarity could ask for. That said, the filly had a long standing history of critically messing up nearly everything she tried to accomplish. It was perhaps a bad thing to think, but really the thing Sweetie could be depended on for the most was being comically undependable. Normally this was a bit of a problem, but here it was perfect. She smirked a little and nodded.

"That's right, Sweeite!" she said smiling at her sister. "Be a good assistant now. While I attend to this customer, you make sure that 'nice' stallion is attended to! Make sure you do everything you can to make him feel as welcome and comfortable as you possibly can!"

Satisfied with herself, Rarity turned back to Hookline. She considered his request for something not too flashy.

"Very well. Don't you worry, darling. I can have it so you can make a statement without covering you from head to hoof in gaudy gems, if that's your worry," she said, shaking her head. "I'll need to take some measurements though, so I can make sure it fits just perfectly."

"As for the pocket," she started. "I can do that now. It will take but a minute or two."

Sweetie Belle's heart swelled with pride. Her sister wanted her to be a good shop assistant! She wanted to prance with delight, but she was worried about jostling the glasses and dropping and breaking them. They were so unsteady! And she didn't want to start Rarity's trust in her by breaking Rarity's backup pair of glasses! She had to do everything perfect! She just knew her little heart would break if she made any mistakes on this so-important task.

She smiled up to the handsome stallion. And he was a PRINCE! And she was to do EVERYTHING to make him comfortable! "Oh, my, such a recommendation! Don't worry, Miss Rarity is an absolute *arteest*. Her work has been recognized as brilliant by many of the most important fashion experts in Equestria! I am sorry that you have to wait, your highness, is there anything I could do to make you more comfortable until she is prepared to be inspired? I could get you a cushion to sit on, or perhaps some tea or juice? There's some raspberry-topped oatmeal biscuits that were made fresh this morning."

(OOC: I was having breakfast as i caught up on this thread, and when I saw Rarities response I nearly sprayed tea all over the keyboard. I'm still cackling evilly. It's fantastic. It is so in keeping with the show. This is going to be awesome, no matter how it plays out.)

She smiled up to the handsome stallion. And he was a PRINCE! And she was to do EVERYTHING to make him comfortable! "Oh, my, such a recommendation! Don't worry, Miss Rarity is an absolute *arteest*. Her work has been recognized as brilliant by many of the most important fashion experts in Equestria! I am sorry that you have to wait, your highness, is there anything I could do to make you more comfortable until she is prepared to be inspired? I could get you a cushion to sit on, or perhaps some tea or juice? There's some raspberry-topped oatmeal biscuits that were made fresh this morning."

Blueblood smiled. At last, some-pony who acted with due deference to his status. It was quite clear where all the charm and manners had gone in _this_ family. Though it had been this Rarity who'd told her to do everything to make him comfortable. Maybe she wasn't the complete harridan he'd first assumed.

"Why thank you. A cushion would be most agreeable, and maybe a spot of tea. As for the biscuits, I'm sure they are delicious, but I am on a strict diet. One must keep one's figure in tip-top shape, you know. As the only living relative of the Princesses, my appearance reflects upon them, so I must be immaculate at all times."

He looked over at rarity, and back to Sweetie Belle. "If you don't mind me asking, what is your relationship to Miss Rarity?"

Truly this was the definition of how siblings should act toward one another. Normally Hookline would see sisters and brothers fighting among each other, but Rarity was completely accepting of her help and even insisted that Sweetie Belle go take care of the waiting customer. This made Hookline feel much less worried about making him wait, so he began to loosen up a bit.

"Thanks." He nodded when she mentioned the pocket, and then looked down at himself. "Should I take off my wet-suit?" He realized that he still had other clothing on, and wasn't quite sure if it would mess with her measurements or not. The wet-suit was made to be tight though, so he doubted it would matter. She was the professional, however, meaning it was probably better to ask rather than assume. "I appreciate the help. I just don't want to embarrass myself at the palace." Hookline admitted, already feeling embarrassed just talking about it. He started drawing an imaginary circle on the floor with his hoof, trying to take his mind off of the inevitable trip while waiting for Rarity's instruction.

Rarity glanced toward her sister and the snobbish prince. So far Sweetie hadn't embarrassed either herself or the prince. Rarity was a little disappointed. She supposed she'd just give it time. Sweetie Belle was sure to spill the tea on Blueblood or something like that. She just needed to wait.

Turning back to Hookline, she gave a nod. "No, that won't be necessary. As thin as it it, that suit of yours really doesn't add significantly to your build. I can make perfect measurements while taking it into account."

She grabbed her nearest tape measure and walked toward the pony. "This will take but a moment, darling!" she said steadily, before starting to record a number of different measurements on the stallion.

Sweetie Belle smiled and nodded in understanding. "Oh, we are sisters, your highness," she replied primly, "And I won't be but a moment!" She turned to race off, and slipped Rarity's glasses back on. The world turned watery and uncertain again, and instead of her normal breakneck pace, she had to walk slowly and carefully across the room to get to the door to the back, and the kitchen.

Once there, she set about filling the teakettle with water, and putting it on the stove, turning up the flames. She slowly set about the room, carefully taking down the pot of tea leaves, gathering her supplies. It took her much longer than usual, and the water was already whistling by the time she had everything together! Oh, how dreadful! Usually she liked to put everything into the teapot and let it cook in there, that's how momma liked it! She hoped the tea wouldn't be terribly underdone!

She took a hot pad and removed the hot water from the fire, turning off the stove, and set it on a tray. Then she added the tea mixture into a perforated double-spoon, locked it shut, and dipped that into the water, giving it a careful stir. She was doing *everything* carefully - it was so hard, when you couldn't see anything clearly!

Then Sweetie considered the extras. Salt, she knew, always made food taste better, so she looked for the white blur amongst her supplies and poured some of that into the tea. And it was morning, so she should add some syrup! She took the gloopy, darker blur and poured a bit of that into the tea. But just a little.

Then she took up the tray with the teacup on it - with its sugar and honey in it - and carried it carefully back out into the main room, one hoof slowly following the next, till she got across to the blur that was Prince Blueblood and offered him the tea kettle and his choice of empty teacups. She was nearly *exhausted*! It had never been so hard to prepare a cup of tea before!

"Ah! You took your time over it..." Prince Blueblood, said, then lifted the teapot with a deft use of his horn and poured himself a cup. A spot of milk, and he brought it up to his lips...

His eyes widened slightly and he swallowed. Bringing the cup from his lips he said, "... but I can see why! This is excellent! How did you know I like my tea sweetened with honey? RFirst blossom by the taste? And something else... there's a deeper sweetness... ah, sugar? I would never of thought of that, but it does work to bring out the undertones off the tea rather well. My favourtie Unyazi blend too, and not too heavily steeped. Some-ponies seem to brew to destruction, but making the flavour too intense by stewing it destroys the balance."

He took another appreciative sip. "But this is just right. It's good to find an appreciation of fine tea in one so young."

He finished his cup, and poured another. "I would have liked my cushion beforehand though."

Hookline nodded as she assured him the suit wouldn't be an issue. The more he thought about wearing some kind of fancy suit rather than his usual wet-suit, the more outlandish it sounded. Me? Fancy? It was absurd, and yet Rarity was currently helping to make it a reality. The fisherpony hadn't much experience with boutiques given his limited wardrobe, so getting measured was a bit odd. He stiffened up as she took the measurements, not knowing what kind of posture was correct 'measure-taking' posture.

Glancing over at Sweetie Belle and the other stallion, Hookline was relieved to see he was simply enjoying tea thanks to Rarity's sister. "She seems helpful." He commented to Rarity after turning his attention back to her, giving a slight nod for emphasis. To have such a kind little sister was surely something to be proud of.

A young white pelted unicorn entered the Carosuel Boutique, a little unsure of himself. It wasn't that he looked lost, but he looked like he never set a hoof into the shop in his life. He lloked around the shop, trying to get a sense of the place. There were several dresses on pony shaped mannequins, a dressing room, a few dresses that were in progress, and other things. Guiding Light wondered if he was in the right place as everything seemed to be for fillies and mares.

Yet his concern was calmed as he saw two male ponies there. One appeared to be a fisherpony type. The other looked... different. He certainly didn't have the look of being in Ponyville. He had a rich almost royal look, maybe from Canterlot.

Guiding Light then saw Sweetie Belle talking to the royal looking pony. He had to be careful what he said. He didn't want to spoil the party Pipsqueak was planning, and he certainly didn't want to spill the fact that Pipsqueak was head over hooves in love with the unicorn.

Light waited until Sweetie Belle was finished with the unicorn stallion, plotting how to go about getting a suit for him for this party.

"She seems helpful."

Rarity forced a smile at Hookline's comment. "Oh yes..." she said with a nervous laugh. "H-helpful. Sweetie Belle and helpful just go hoof in hoof! Yep, when I think helpful my darling sister is always the first pony that comes to mind," she proclaimed uneasily staring dumbfounded back toward her sister and the prince.

Okay, what was this? That was all she could think as she continued to stare. Sweetie, the filly who's skill at cooking and preparing food could only be expressed in negative numbers had prepared tea that pleased the pallet of the most snobbish of the royal elite? How? Moreover a perpetually clumsy pony like Sweetie had managed to get the tea back to Blueblood without spilling any? How... no, why was this happening? Could she not even depend on Sweetie Belle to be undependable?

As she questioned it all, it then occured to Rarity that perhaps this was her punishment for wishing ill on another pony, and trying to make use of her sister to get passively back at him. As bad as Blueblood was, this whole plan really did reflect badly on Rarity. It was petty and kind of mean spirited. Pinkie Pie and Applejack would probably have some harsh words for her if they found out about something like this. Rarity gave a sigh. No, this was bad of her. Moreover, it was a good thing that her sister was finally taking her time, acting carefully and doing things right. She should be proud of Sweetie, not hoping she messed up like usual. Rarity gave a slight nod and then a genuine smile appeared on her face.

The sudden entry of yet another customer then forced her attention back to a focus. She shouldn't be dawdling. She'd never get her work done if she wasted so much energy on distraction. She'd just worry about Blueblood when she got to him.

"Alright. I think I have the measurements I need," she said as she nodded to Hookline. " Now let me see your vest. I'll sew up that pocket for you right away."

Sweetie Belle kept a smile on her face at Prince Blueblood's compliments, trying not to let her confusion show on her face. Sugar? And honey? That sounded awfully *sweet*. Adults didn't like sweet things that much - well, except Pinkie Pie. But Sweetie thought she'd put salt and syrup in ... and the Prince ... liked the fact that the tea was hurried? Well ... she'd have to try it again.

Oh, no! She should have gotten the cushion first! "Of course, your highness," she said primly. "I'll keep that in mind for next time." She turned to go get the cushion, running the first few steps, then slowing down again, the glasses making her feel dizzy and just a little queasy... finally, she nudged them up onto her horn again, and her little hooves propelled her quickly across the shop. He wanted the pillow first, and she needed to get it quickly! no more walking around!

She grabbed a throw pillow off of the first comfy cushion she found, and was running back across the shop, her little hooves churning quickly. Halfway back, she stumbled, and tripped, and made it a couple more steps before she fell on her chin, the pillow flying from her mouth.

(OOC: I just have this mental image of Sweetie Belle in the bored pose from Sisterhooves Social.)

Blueblood watched, someowhat bemused as he sipped his tea. The filly was not yet properly trained, but eager to please, and hopefully willing to learn. You sometimes got the same thing with the newer maids at the Palace. If her sister expected her to assist in the shop, she should have done a better job of teaching her. His opinion of Rarity sunk lower as he saw how the girl had trouble with her glasses. Surely her sister or her parents could afford ones that fitted, had the right prescription, and for that matter, the style was utterly wrong for her face. Even a town as out in the sticks as this one should have an optician.

He winced slightly as it became clear just how badly she needed her glasses, when she tripped coming back. His horn glowed at the last second, cushioning her fall, equally motivated by possible damage to the pillow, and to the filly herself. This meant his mind was no longer on the cup, and deprived of it's support, cup and saucer fell. He barely switched back his attention and his magic to it afterwards in time to stop it smashing on the floor and splattering tea and pottery shards over him.

The pillow slid across the floor to arrive right behind him, and he sat down. A good choice, not a thick pillow, but one soft enough to provide comfort, while low enough to give good posture. Considering the handicap she was under, he was surprised she'd done as well as he had this far. Well, it wasn't like he didn't know about doing your best to live up to family expectations. Nothing for it but to do the job her sister should have. His horn glowed as his telekinesis helped her gently back up.

"Are you unhurt, young lady?" he asked, genuine concern in his voice. "While acting quickly is a virtue when serving people, there is no need to gallop about. As my mother always said, stampedes are for cattle. A fast walk or a dignified trot is the highest speed you should use when in the company of high society. Moving faster than that implies you're flustered, even distressed, and will impress no-pony. You might try some simple dressage exercises, such as walking with a book balanced on your head. That would help you to practice your poise, and how to maintain a dignified posture. Though I don't suppose it's really your fault, I would have thought some-pony..." He frowned at Rarity. "... Would have made sure you knew that, and had a set of glasses that fitted, rather than hand me downs."

(OOC: I hope to Celestia that there isn't too many people in this thread so far Q.Q As far as I can tell it is safe to jump in for a little bit.)

AppleBumpkin2withtextattmept2.png

Apple Bumpkin had been visiting her relatives at the Sweet Apple Acres when she caught wind of a famous dress maker in town. This was the perfect shot for Apple Bumpkin to not only get a new dress but to try and make a few bits while at it. She knocked on the boutique door and then trotted into the store and did a quick trot in a circle so she could look around the store before she would be asked if she needed any help. She adjusted the handkerchief around her neck hoping that it was in a very presentable position. She ran a hoof through her mane and then flipped her tail a few times hoping that she at least looked decently presentable for the shop owner and any other ponies who happened to be inside the store. Nervous about the experience of meeting a new possible business partner she began to trot in place as she often did when nervous. It is ok Apple Bumpkin dear, calm down. It isn't like this is do or die. Deep breaths, that's right just keep breathing. But wait, I've never anyone famous like this before, she has had her dresses in publications all over Equestria and even had her own fashion show right here in Ponyville! I guess I'm more of a fan then I thought. Apple Bumpkin sighed and then tried to stop trotting in place and just stood there looking around the store some more hoping that she didn't interrupt anything by trotting in here.

Rarity didn't exactly sound convinced in what she was saying, as she replied to Hookline's earlier compliment to Sweetie Belle. It was soon after that she smiled and began speaking to him again, her tone changed to more of the usual 'classiness,' for lack of a better word. The cerulean stallion nodded, slipping off his vest and handing it to the fashionista. Noise from behind him caused Hookline to glance back for a moment. Not only was Blueblood there, but apparently two more ponies had entered as well. Yes, Hookline had the right to take as much time as he wanted as a customer, but he hated the idea of making others wait on his account. He needed the vest before he could leave, however, so he would patiently wait before exiting.

The two new customers looked interesting, one a young unicorn and the other an earth pony mare. The mare had a red mane similar to his own, except it was lighter and obviously didn't have a white streak. Wanting to give Rarity some room to work, he turned around and trotted to the other ponies. "She's just fixin' up my vest, it shouldn't be too long. Sorry for the wait, I'm Hookline. Hoofington."The fisherpony introduced, not necessarily speaking to one person in particular. He made sure to pause in between his name and his town, simply because he didn't want them to think that was part of his name as well (although Hookline Hoofington did have a ring to it). If he needed to wait for his vest, might as well mingle a little to pass the time. Mingling wasn't his strong suit, but it was better than standing around doing nothing.

Light was pacing about in anticipation as Rarity was busy in the back and Sweetie Belle was busy with the royal pony. Then Hookline came out and announced the status of the dressmaker. "Oh hello Hookline. I'm Guiding light, but you can call me Light. I'm from... well... here."

He didn't really know much else to say. It was tricky for him to start conversations, especially with ponies he didn't know.

AppleBumpkin2withtextattmept2.png

She trotted in place as to turn herself towards the stallion who was speaking to her. Hookline he said his name was. Interesting name none the less. She thought to herself as she also tried to come up with a proper introduction for herself that didn't make her come off as conceited. The perfect plan hit her just then, she curtsied to Hookline and spoke as clearly as she could.

"Nice to meet you Hookline! My name is Apple Bumpkin, and 'Ah live down on the farm outside of Fillydelphia! Yall have a lovely town here, 'Ah love to come visit here and see my cousins or even sometimes 'Ah just come to walk around." She had a problem when it came to rambling as she did it very well. She tossed her mane from one side to the other trying to make sure that it was out of the way of her face as how she was raised it was rude to obstruct your face from the ponies you were talking with. Oh this should be easy to talk then, he seems like a nice pony and all. A huge smile tore across her face as she remembered that she wasn't currently smiling. " 'Ah'm in no rush t'all, 'Ah'm more or less here to peruse and observe. 'Ah heard from a little birdy that there was a famous dress maker here and 'Ah just really wanted to come check out her shop is t'all." She said although she knew she had started to ramble again and just stopped talking so that she didn't ramble anymore.

((OOC: Topic is now closed. Will open back up after a couple more customers are served. ;) Also as a note, I'd prefer if everyone wait their turn to post. Please make sure everyone has posted before you reply to a post.))

Rarity gave a very long sigh as she heard the sound of Sweetie Belle stumbling and crashing, her pillow flying forward and nearly hitting the smug prince in his face. She just couldn't win with Sweetie, could she? She wants her to fail and she succeeds; then the second she starts rooting for her sister again, this happens? It was almost laughable really.

She could hear Blueblood's pointed comments, and as much as she would have loved to rebut them, she would have to leave that in Sweetie's hands. The arrival of yet another customer ensured she couldn't waste a second's time on unnecessary matters. She had enough work to do as it was, and from how many faces she was seeing in the shop now, it would only further pile up if she didn't act with haste.

She had earlier told Hookline the pocket would take just a moment, and she wasn't boasting. For a simple repair like this, she could work wonders in a mere minute's time. Moving to her workbench, she proceeded to use her magic to sew up the damage pocket as good as new in no time at all. She lifted it and examined it closely. She frowned at the vest. It would still pain her to hand something so mundane back to a customer without making it fabulous. She sighed and reminded herself that the customer always knows best.

"All done, darling," she said, moving back toward Hookline and handing him the repaired vest. "I told you a mere pocket would not hold me long at all,"

• Like 1

Sweetie Belle gazed up at Prince Blueblood with wide eyes, as he was so caring and gentle in catching her fall, not to mention the stylish way in which he had helped her back to her hooves in less time than it took for a teacup to fall - and had caught the teacup afterwards! It was just like a faerie tale of one of those Samauri from Japony! Oh, she hoped this wasn't Rarity's prince, because maybe this meant she'd found HER prince!

Then she cringed, as he gently admonished her in her mistake. Her head pulled back into her shoulders, a bit, and she dropped her gaze in embarassment. "I ... I'm sorry," she murmured. "Big Sister Rarity actually *has* told me that, I just ... " she paused, steeled herself, "I just ... " she whispered the last word in absolute shame: "forgot."

But she perked up right away as he dismissed the precious glasses. "Oh, oh no! These glasses are precious to me, because they're Big Sister Rarity's old glasses! I'm wearing them so I can be a fashionista just like her!" she chirped up energetically. "Even if they make everything blurry and I have to take them off to see," she continued a little more regretfully, then glanced aside, then said to Prince Blueblood in a conspiratorial whisper, "I'm not allowed to touch her real glasses, but since these are old, it's OK."

She remembered herself, then, and drew herself up straight, and assumed that prim tone once more. "Oh, I beg your pardon, your highness, I forgot myself. Please, is there anything more I can do to make your wait more comfortable?"

She briefly pranced in place where she stood, glancing at the new customers that had come in - one of them had a funny accent just like Apple Bloom's! What was she supposed to do with *multiple* customers! She couldn't give attention to them all! But this one was a prince! Oohhhh, what to do? She stilled herself and looked hopefully up to Prince Blueblood for a request, or for more advice.

Then she cringed, as he gently admonished her in her mistake. Her head pulled back into her shoulders, a bit, and she dropped her gaze in embarassment. "I ... I'm sorry," she murmured. "Big Sister Rarity actually *has* told me that, I just ... " she paused, steeled herself, "I just ... " she whispered the last word in absolute shame: "forgot."

"Well, at least she's provided you with some good advice." He looked over at the busy unicorn, then back at the littler version in front of him. "I can quite understand you forgetting in the excitement of the moment, especially if you haven't had much practice."

She was after all looking after him, a Prince, and that would be enough to turn the head of any-pony. He poured out some more tea and carefully added milk. Hmm... slightly cool. His horn glowed briefly as he applied another minor charm that was most definitely not a spell for heating water when camping and it was too wet to start a fire, no matter what it looked like.

But she perked up right away as he dismissed the precious glasses. "Oh, oh no! These glasses are precious to me, because they're Big Sister Rarity's old glasses! I'm wearing them so I can be a fashionista just like her!" she chirped up energetically. "Even if they make everything blurry and I have to take them off to see," she continued a little more regretfully, then glanced aside, then said to Prince Blueblood in a conspiratorial whisper, "I'm not allowed to touch her real glasses, but since these are old, it's OK."

Blueblood reassessed his initial estimate. So they were an accessory, not a corrective aid, and it was switching between them that made her dizzy. "Hmm... I see. Slavishly copying some-pony else's style is a common beginner's mistake. Ultimately, you should develop one of your own."

However, once again he felt he could understand. He thought about the journal that sat in his breast pocket right now, his father's record of all his expeditions he'd been on, and the most important thing he'd been able to save when his mother had removed everything else. Maybe it was wrong of him, but his father was a Duke, and it was about the only heirloom he had left of his father. And if he occasionally took it out at night and read it by firefly lantern light when no-pony could see, that was no-pony's business but his own. She clearly idolised her sister, however mistakenly, so it behoved him to find a compromise.

"Hmm... For the moment, maybe if you wore them up on your forehead, held back by your horn. As long as you don't actually use them you can see normally, but you would be wearing them." He adjusted the set of the glasses. "There... that should do it."

She remembered herself, then, and drew herself up straight, and assumed that prim tone once more. "Oh, I beg your pardon, your highness, I forgot myself. Please, is there anything more I can do to make your wait more comfortable?"

She was prancing in place, already putting his advice to good use. Time to see if she could make use of the rest of it. She was clearly looking to the other customers, eager to discharge her duties, but clearly unwilling to leave him. Well, that went without saying.

"No, I have my most excellent tea, and a suitable cushion. Go, attend to your other duties." He said graciously, with a wave of his hoof. "Let us see if you can apply what you've learned."

(OOC: I still think setting Sweetie Belle on Blueblood probably contravines some sort of Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty. I am having so much fun with this! :smirk: )

(OOC: Didn't even realize it's been my turn, sorry for the wait! Hookline will be leaving since the vest is mended and to make way for others to join. Thanks, it was fun! :) )

Guiding Light and Apple Bumpkin introduced themselves, and the mare had a lot to say (much to Hookline's delight). The fisherpony could empathize with Guiding Light, as he understood how difficult carrying on a conversation could be. Apple Bumpkin went on about visiting her cousins and about her reason for being in the shop. It was reassuring to know that no one was particularly antsy to put their order in, because even though Hookline was patient as can be, he knew not all ponies were the same as him. The mention of Rarity's status peeked his interest, considering that was mainly the reason he had come down as well. "I had heard the same, it's why I had to visit the shop. My vest pocket ripped and I didn't know where else to go." Not knowing how to sew wasn't a big deal, at least not until you actually need something stitched up. Rarely did Hookline find himself in dire need of these talents, but in situations like this, he was grateful to know someone like Rarity was around. He was getting his vest fixed and a suit design.

Technically, the vest was fixed already, as Rarity came over to inform him. It brought Hookline much joy to see his vest in a fine condition. The pocket was mended, and could once again be used for carrying his bait. "Thank you Rarity, this vest and I have seen some good times. Would be a shame to get rid of it on a account of a silly pocket." Hookline put on the vest, touching the pocket just to be sure, then inspecting the rest of the vest with pride. She hadn't done anything to it other than fix the pocket, but nonetheless he felt it was looking better than ever. "I'll be sure to check back on that other order later. For now, I'm going to go fishing." The last part of the statement was said with a lot of enthusiasm, ready to test out the 'improved' vest of his. Plus, he needed try to see if he could catalog any more of the marine biology around Ponyville. There wasn't much in comparison to Hoofington obviously, but if he had missed anything, he wanted to make sure to find it. Before leaving, he made sure to turn around and give his acquaintances a slight smile. "It was nice meeting you both as well." The noble and Rarity's sister seemed to be having a conversation, or ending one, so he thought it best not to disturb them. He then headed out of the boutique, a spring in his step as he went back to work.