[Ponyville - Carousel Boutique] A Dressmaker's Calling [FOLLOW-UP PHASE]

RarityDash

Sweetie Belle felt terribly nervous. She seemed to upset the customer, and she'd tried to be so polite about it! "Oh, well, if you wish to come back another time, we can certainly set an appointment so you don't have to wait!" she chirped up, eager to please, "But if you have the time to wait, I'm sure she'd be delighted to see you in about ten or twenty minutes! If you wish to come back later, it really would be best to set an appointment so you'll know she'll be free!"

Sweetie Belle glanced over to see Prince Blueblood still busy with Rarity, so she picked up the pot of tea she'd brought out for the customers, and poured another three cups, placing them on the tray. She was about to race back to the three ponies waiting, but she remembered Prince Blueblood's words. Instead, she lifted her head high, lifted her little hooves delicately, and walked slowly over to deliver the tea.

She set the first cup down before Guiding Light. "I'll wait for someone to ask me, then," she promises him, with a nervous little smile.

The second cup went to Apple Bumpkin, with a smile. "I can get a bit of apple juice to add to this, if you want," she says cheerfully.

And the third cup she set before Dusk Aegis. "And for you, sir, if you choose to stay and wait!" she chirped hopefully.

Blueblood considered the admission that he was right a partial win in the arena of social combat. As he'd expected though, she'd insisted that she needed the extra day, which he'd expected, whether it was true or not. Time to withdraw gracefully.

"Very well, I shall have to rearrange my exceptionally busy schedule, but I will return the day after tomorrow to look at your designs. Considering that this is a matter of the highest importance, I wouldn't want you to rush your work and produce something unwearable."

"Now, is there anything more I may help you with?" she asked, just to add a note of finality.

"No, I believe that is all. Formal stallion-ware appropriate for an air-ship launch, one to enhance and complement my own presence. Now I must go, I have a great deal left to do today. Farewell."

He headed for the door, noting approvingly that Sweetie Belle was walking slowly and serving her new customers more carefully, though with the same enthusiasm. He only hoped they appreciated that his advice had helped her, though from the group he didn't hold out much hope. He waited until she'd served the pushy dark unicorn, and then spoke to her.

"Young lady, I require an appointment for the day after tomorrow. Something in the late morning would be best." There was no way he was going to cut short his post workout bath and mane styling.

(OOC: It appears that I may have been skipped, but no worries as I will follow after Stainless. Also, in light of some other events going on with Light in other threads, I'm going to be slightly altering some things. It shouldn't change too much with this thread though.)

Guiding Light smiled as Sweetie Belle said she'd wait . Now it was up to him to decide what to do next. Light was nervous about playing matchmaker. He wasn't sure if Pip really liked Sweetie or if Sweetie liked Pip. If things went badly, he'd be caught in the middle. Besides, Light didn't have a special somepony himself, so trying to set two up was both futile and dangerous. It would be like a pony who knew nothing about building things trying to bulid a house.

But now that that was finished, he was ready to try and get the attire for the party. At best, the party would happen and be a success. At worst, it would not happen, but at least Light would have a nice formal suit for other parties.

"Thanks Sweetie," Light said as she set the tea before him. He didn't have much tea in his life, but since this was the formal thing to do he guessed he decided it would be rude to not accept it. He levitated the tea with his magic and took a sip. The tea actually tasted good to him, although he still liked his apple juice.

"So you're name is Apple Bumpkin," Light said as she turned to the pony who seemed to be doting over Sweetie Belle, "are you related to Apple Bloom?"

AppleBumpkin2withtextattmept2.png

With a smile and a grin to Sweetie Belle she nods her head and speaks slowly for her.

"Apple juice would be great thank ya kindly! 'Ah always do love a good drink of Apple Family Apple Juice, don't ya?" She had to stop herself from giggling as she noted that she was shamelessly plugging Apple Family brand products even without knowing it. She then turning to a strange pony standing beside her and with a grin and a nod of her head she addressed them.

"So your name is Apple Bumpkin, are you related to Apple Bloom?" Were the words out of his mouth but before she could stop herself she started to ramp up on excitement and began to speak.

"That'd be right there kind sir! 'Ah'm Apple Bumpkin all right! 'Ah'm also related to Apple Bloom as you say, she is my cousin!" Not being able to hold back her excitement any longer that someone brought up her favorite cousin. She then turned back to Sweetie Belle.

"Thank ya kindly for bein such a great little hostess fer yer sister! 'Ah'm sure it means a lot to her havin somepony like ya'll to help her out with work and such!" Nothing but pure bliss was streaked across her face as she looked at Sweetie Belle who was just so adorable with her little mane slicked back and glasses that seemed a touch too big for her face. Bumpkin adjusted her hoofkerchief that always seemed to get misaligned when she sat down.

"Very well, I shall have to rearrange my exceptionally busy schedule, but I will return the day after tomorrow to look at your designs. Considering that this is a matter of the highest importance, I wouldn't want you to rush your work and produce something unwearable."

Rarity actually took some delight in messing up this stallion's oh so important schedule. She however wasn't looking forward to meeting with him again. Even if this encounter had went a lot better than the first by a mile, it still had been a little more terse and difficult than Rarity liked. She would be glad to put it behind her.

"No, I believe that is all. Formal stallion-ware appropriate for an air-ship launch, one to enhance and complement my own presence. Now I must go, I have a great deal left to do today. Farewell."

Compliment his presence? Easier said than done. Rarity almost said as much aloud, but she contained herself. He was leaving, so why say anything that might make him stay longer? He moved to speak with Sweetie Belle. Rarity smiled. Sweetie really was starting to come into this and handle the job well. If Sweetie could do it, Rarity wondered if she shouldn't just hire a permanent assistant for the shop. It might make days like this a lot easier to manage at the least.

Rarity just gave a firm nod and looked out into her shop. "Very well then. Now, who would be next?" she looked around until her eyes ultimately set on the young colt who had entered her shop after Blueblood. What had he told the others his name was, Guiding Light? She wasn't sure she really knew him. It was kind of curious. Colts rarely electively went to fashion boutiques and yet this would be her second of the day. Actually, come to think of it, all her customers so far today had been male. That was rare for the shop.

She stepped toward the colt. "Hello there, dear. I'm ready to serve. How might I help you today?'

Sweetie Belle felt terribly nervous. She seemed to upset the customer, and she'd tried to be so polite about it! "Oh, well, if you wish to come back another time, we can certainly set an appointment so you don't have to wait!" she chirped up, eager to please, "But if you have the time to wait, I'm sure she'd be delighted to see you in about ten or twenty minutes! If you wish to come back later, it really would be best to set an appointment so you'll know she'll be free!"

Although he began to calm himself due to the combination of the kind and polite young unicorn known as Sweetie Belle and the final departure of the other unicorn to had proven to be quite hostile and ill mannered during the time that Dusk was there, he still could not help but feel a little nervous himself. However he also was quick to take in the slight hints of nervousness that Sweetie had shown so he felt the desire to help put whatever fears she had to ease. Closing his eyes and taking a breath to calm himself a moment longer he would look back down to her with a warm smile when she had walked back and offered him some tea which he would happily accept and levitate beside him before kneeling down to Sweetie's level and briefly stroking her mane. "You have my deepest thanks and appreciations for your hospitality and kindness that you show me, young one. It is a pleasant change from many of the other places one would visit in Canterlot. I think I will accept your offer, if it would be alright with your sister of course, and just wait here for a couple moments until things have slowed down for her. I also apologize to you if I had made your nervous or upset in any way, young one."

Sweetie Belle smiled to Dusk with relief. "I'm sure you will not be disappointed!" she assured him, then nodded with a perky little grin to Apple Bumpkin. "I'll be right back with a bit of apple juice for you, then!" she said happily, and turned to head back to the kitchen, but as she turned, there was Prince Blueblood!

A quick smile brightened Sweetie Belle's face, and she quickly pulled out her little notebook and picked up her pencil. She flipped over a page and smiled up to Prince Blueblood. "Would 10 AM be late enough for you, your Highness?" she asked brightly. "That would give enough time for you to let your appointment run long and still not cut into your lunch!"

The little filly's helpfulness and cheery manner was a great relief, especially compared to her older sister. In fact, Blueblood could scarcely believe they were from the same family.

"Half past ten or eleven would be better," he replied. "I have to come down to Ponyville from Canterlot, and even with a fast chariot that takes almost an hour. And may I just say in passing that it's a delight to deal with some-pony who acts with due care and proper etiquette."

He carefully didn't look over to the 'fashionista' who was already working on another customer. Well, at least he had navigated his way through this place without being the subject of Assault By Caking.

"Oh ok," Guiding Light said to Apple Bumpkin, "Apple Bloom is in my class and I know that alot of her family has an apple name.

Light was so busy talking to Sweetie Belle and as a smaller part, Apple Bumpkin, that he almost didn't hear his name being called. He then saw Rarity standing there, waiting for her next customer. Light knew he was after the royal pony, and after seeing him scheduling an appointment with Sweetie Belle, he knew it was his turn.

Light always was amazed at how pretty Rarity was. It was no wonder where Sweetie got her cuteness from. Light didn't know much about Rarity other that seeing her sometimes with Sweetie or at a school function. "Um... hello. I believe I'm next."

Apple Bumpkin sat happily at the small table as she grinned watching Sweetie Belle trot away and tend to everypony's needs while Rarity got right to business. It was obvious that she did in fact need a assistant in the shop but it was most likely not going to be her since as far as Bumpkin could tell, Rarity was stubborn in her ways and knew she needed to change but didn't seem to want to yet. She let out a sigh and made a strange face as the obnoxious white pony decided to go out of his way to ruin all of Sweetie Belle's and Rarity's hard work.

"Why doesn't he just make time for it, if he is so darn worried bout it." She muttered softly to herself. She then sat straight up and looked around trying to figure out why there had been so many stallions and colts in a dress shop. She let out a small giggle and then got up and trotted to place herself right behind Sweetie Belle.

" 'Ah can help ya'll while 'Ah wait. Ain't no trouble at all. Just tell me what needs doin, and don't even think ah payin me." She grinned as she patted Sweetie Belle's head gently trying to not mess up her slick mane style or knock off the glasses that were obviously not originally hers. " 'Ah just need somthin ta do while 'Ah wait, unless ya'll wanted ta talk with me, 'Ah don mind either way." She grinned even larger as she got down on Sweetie Belle's level. She was interupting their conversation but just didn't care since the pony conversing with Sweetie Belle about his schedule issues.

She paused for a moment and shook her head no. "On second thought, 'Ah'll just wait at the table some more for ya. Best ta stay outa yer way." She made a sort of sad face as she mumbled to herself all the way back to the table before sitting down at her spot again.

Rarity wore her usual smile as she approached the colt. He was a quite young yellow-coated unicorn with a white mane. He looked like a sweet young colt. Rarity had overheard bits and pieces of the earlier conversation, and he seemed to have been asking Sweetie to some kind of party. That was kind of him; some ponies their age looked down on Sweetie for being a little late to get her cutie mark.

"Why hello there, darling! Welcome to Carousel Boutique! I thank you for waiting your turn. I hope Sweetie kept you entertained," Rarity said as she moved toward him. "What might I be able to help you with today?"

She wasn't sure what to expect from a customer so young. Did he even have the money to buy something at a shop like this? She suppose she'd find out shortly.

(OOC: Very sorry about this I need to drop out of this RP for now, So the following post will be Apple Bumpkin leaving the dress shop for now. Don't worry she will return later once I get a better handle on things IRL.)

Apple Bumpkin looked around at the busy store and started to feel uneasy.

"Sweetie Belle, 'Ah am going to go out for some fresh air. 'Ah will return once a few more of these ponies have been taken care of." She grinned uneasily and wanted to stay but had other issues that were more pressing then observing the Dressmaker at work. " 'Ah'm really sorry and t'all but 'Ah can't rightly talk about what 'Ah have to do, just know 'Ah'll be back." She turned and trotted out of the store without another word.

With Apple Bumpkin leaving, Guiding Light being helped by Rarity, and Dusk seeming a little withdrawn, Sweetie Belle was able to give her full attention to the wonderfully handsome Prince Blueblood once more. She smiled up to him eagerly, little hearts floating up above her head, as she gave him a nod and said, "Oh, thank you, your highness! I try really hard to act proper like my big sister Rarity! I'll place your time at eleven, then, and make certain that there is a light snack waiting to tide you over in case you are late for your lunch!" She carefull scrawled 'Prince', '11', and doodled a little snack cake in her notebook, her eyes narrowing in concentration as she did so.

Then she was done, and smiled up to the Prince warmly again. "So, is ... there a very special somepony who you'll need to be coordinating your outfit with, then?" she asked, very casually, leaning forward with her eyes sparkling.

"Oh, thank you, your highness! I try really hard to act proper like my big sister Rarity! I'll place your time at eleven, then, and make certain that there is a light snack waiting to tide you over in case you are late for your lunch!"

"Thank you, that would be delightful." Blueblood responded, oblivious to the hearts floating around the younger filly.

"So, is ... there a very special somepony who you'll need to be coordinating your outfit with, then?" she asked, very casually, leaning forward with her eyes sparkling.

"No, not at the moment." He replied. Though the question showed she was thinking of the bigger picture, it was also something of a sore subject. Suitably deferential mare-friends were hard to find. Though his status meant there were always noble mares who wanted to be seen with him, they tended to leave for the most ridiculous of reasons fairly quickly.

"Well Sweetie Belle is in my class so, I wanted to get to know her more since she's with her friends." Light said to Rarity when being asked about entertaining her.

"Anyway, I'm going to a party, but it's kind of a formal one. The problem is that I really don't know about anything formal. When I told my parents, they were surprised that I wanted to do this. Dad almost fainted and mom was saying things like she was becomming so mature, whatever that means. Anyway, the only pony that I heard knew about fashion was you, so do you have something that I can wear to a party?"

Starburst steps into the Boutique, and the bell at the door dingles a little to let everyone know that someone entered it. Inside walks a demure looking pony with a white coat, a shooting star cutie mark, and long purple hair, curled softly and highlighted a multitude of complimenting purplish colors. She's currently wearing little beyond a fashionable saddlebag, which seems to be filled with apples at the moment. ( See 100 Country Kisses thread if you care to read exactly why. :P )

"Excuse me.." she says, addressing Rarity. "I'm looking for Rarity. I'm looking to commission a dress for my upcoming gala in Canterlot and I was under the impression that she worked here, in Ponyville. Seeing as I was here for a couple of errands, I would be positively delighted if you could show me where she is." she says, beaming.

((OOC: Just to note, Starburst is here on permission. :) Also, silentnomad043's profile seems to indicate that he hasn't visited the site in over two weeks, so it's probably safe to move this along without him for now. Though if he does return, he's more than free to rejoin, of course. ;) ))

Rarity looked past the colt she was serving for a moment, to see some shift in the shop. The Apple Family cousin who had been waiting had to make a sudden departure. A shame really. Ah well. If she really did need a dress, maybe she would return at a later time? Rarity hoped at least. Sometimes the shop was just too busy for its own good and she wasn't able to serve everypony. Another point toward her maybe having to hire some permanent help down the road.

Luckily though, shortly after one customer left another arrived to take her place. This one seemed more like the type of mare she usually dealt with. A classy mare with a white coat and purple mane, sporting a fashionable, if full, saddlebag. She seemed to be the direct type, and spoke loudly in Rarity's direction about how she was looking for Rarity. Rarity glanced toward Sweetie, but she seemed rather preoccupied with Blueblood who was evidently taking his time to make his much anticipated (by Rarity at least) exit. Sweetie seemed to be swooning too, which prompted a sigh.

"I am Rarity, darling," the mare said to the new arrival. "I would be just delighted to receive your commission. It will be a moment though. I am already in the middle of serving another customer."

That said, the fashion designer turned back to said other customer. Oh, so this colt was a classmate of Sweetie's? She had thought he looked kind of familiar. A formal party, eh? Rarity gave a quiet nod.

"I think that's fantastic, dear," Rarity said, smiling at the young pony. "I however do not typically make a lot of clothes for colts your age. It would have to be an entirely custom piece, and I'm afraid such things do have to come with a sizable price tag."

"Still, if you desire it, I'm confident I could make a formal suit in your size that will have you looking just dashing!" she added, already picturing the colt in a cute little suit.

gallery_69_17_39944.png

A big, eager grin spread even wider across Sweetie Belle's face as she heard that the gorgeous prince was single. "Wellllll," she said, rubbing one lil' hoof across the floor, "Maybe you'll run into a nice special somepony while you're here in Ponyville." She cleared her throat.

The voice behind her made her jump. Somepony else had slipped *right* past her while she was attending the Prince! "OH! Um," she gave a little curtsey. "But of course, you are busy, and I won't keep you any longer. Good day, your Highness!" Then she turned quickly to Starburst, giving a little smile. "Ah! Yes, the Fabulista is busy just now," said the little white filly, slipping around in front of Starburst. "If you would like to wait, I can provide a snack while you wait! Or, if you want to come back, I can arrange an appointment for you, but I believe that it shouldn't be more than a couple minutes!"

Guiding Light was at first worried that Rarity wouldn't be able to design the suit, but she then mentioned she'd be able to create one. The next problem was the price tag. A custom suit was going to cost more than something pre made.

"Um... well I don't have any money, but my parents said they'd be able to pay for it. How much do you think it would be?"

(OOC: @Lux. I guess you jumped in because you though Blueblood was out. Fair enough, but I still have to make an exit post.)

A big, eager grin spread even wider across Sweetie Belle's face as she heard that the gorgeous prince was single. "Wellllll," she said, rubbing one lil' hoof across the floor, "Maybe you'll run into a nice special somepony while you're here in Ponyville." She cleared her throat.

(OOC: Oh Celestia, the filly has a crush on Blueblood. BTW Utterly adorable picture! :kissy: )

However unlikely that seemed, finding a mare of suitable status and taste in a provincial little backwater like this, there were proprieties to be obseved. Besides, ponies spontaneously wishing him well weren't exactly common so he refrained from smirking at her naivity. Instead he gave her a polite nod.

"Anything is possible, I suppose. I look forward to seeing you again."

With that he made his way out of the door, looking around for his chariot.

Starburst pat the head of Sweetie Belle. "I don't need a snack, and I'm more than comfortable waiting for the work. I already have a design drawn up, unfortunately I have no sewing talent or knowledge of fabrics.. So here I am." she says, smiling.

"This place is quite different from Canterlot though. Much less busy. Much less fancy."

Rarity frowned just slightly as she overheard the new pony's comments. This happened more often than she cared for, ponies coming in here with their own designs drawn up, wanting her for nothing but her sewing skills. So often their own designs were subpar too; the proud ponies just not understanding the subtleties of true art. Rarity's job was to make the customer happy though, so she'd oblige them... it just pained her to put out inferior products, especially when it could effect her reputation. That said, perhaps this design wouldn't be so bad. She supposed she'd just have to find out when she got to serving this Canterlot pegasus.

She looked back toward Guiding Light and smiled. It was a relief that he said that his parents were onboard to pay. She gave a nod. "Well, it's a custom piece, but for a colt of your size not as much fabric would be needed. I'd estimate that I could get it done for around 90 bits," she said, hoping this wasn't too much.

(OOC: Sorry Stainless about the post jump. And that was a cute pic Bramble.)

Light was a little happy that Prince Blueblood was leaving as the unicorn colt was still trying to possibly direct Sweetie towards possibly his friend. Instead the filly was head over hooves attracted to the prince instead. Then he realized something: was he jealous at Blueblood for capturing Sweetie's heart while his friend tried so hard to talk to her, or was sthere something else? Could he be jealous that Swetie or any pony, didn't share the same feelings towards him?

Guiding Light then saw Rarity frown. He hoped it wasn't due to something he said. Maybe it was the new pony that arrived and was talking to Sweetie Belle. His ears perked up when the mare said 90 bits. Light had never seen 90 bits in his life! Still, he wanted this suit, and his parents were happy about getting it, so it made sense.

"Well... um... I don't have 90 bits right now," Light said, hoping that this wouldn't be a deal breaker, "but I do have 60, and my parents wil definitely give you the other 30. Is that ok with you?"

Starburst smiles at Rarity, grabbing a pencil and a notebook from her apple-filled saddlebags, making some last minute dress designs while she waits on the tiny pony in front of her to be finished with his business. She looks around the shop and targets a dress with something she likes, and scribbles in a modification to the pleats on the dress, adding a bit of clouds as flair on the tail end while she draws the final touches.

After a few edits on the design she chews on the pencil. wondering if there's anything she could do to make it better.

( and... what about my turn, Lux? Guys? )

Sweetie Belle nodded, and fidgeted in place. Since she'd walked in, she'd always had something to do - taking care of the Prince, helping the other customers get settled, take care of the prince some more, try to stop ponies from barging past to disturb Rarity while she was working, take care of the prince again ...

But now there was a lull, and the one pony waiting didn't seem to have much of a need for Sweetie. But ... not fancy? This place was plenty fancy! Sweetie lifted her chin proudly and addressed Starburst, "The Fabulista Rarity feels that elegance can be expressed in many ways. The Boutique is a very busy establishment, but you are fortunate to find yourself arriving just when a good many customers have left, and before the next wave arrives!"

Sweetie Belle gave a little humph and turned to go ... sort something ... and found herself running right into a dress form in the process. She let out a *squeek* and grabbed at it, hugging the pole to herself desperately to try to keep it from toppling over. She danced across the floor with the off-balance dress form, wobbling helplessly. "Whoooah! Aaahhh! Eeeeep! Nuuuu! Stop falling!" At each wobble, the dress form rocked back and forth, swishing past Starburst's head, bumping into another dress form, swishing past Rarity's head, bumping into a table ...

( And as soon as Blue Blood leaves, Sweetie is *right* back to her clumsy self. )