[Ponyville - Carousel Boutique] A Dressmaker's Calling [FOLLOW-UP PHASE]

RarityDash

"Sweetie Belle!" Rarity started, alarmed at the commotion her sister was causing, ducking as one of her dress forms nearly collided with her head. This is how it was going to be, wasn't it? When she wanted Sweetie to mess up, she excelled. When she wanted her sister on her best behavior, she caused a scene. Alas, she could just never have her way. "Do please contain yourself and try to be careful, dear," was all she could say, as she shook her head and gave a small sigh. This new customer seemed to be the classy Canterlot type, so it was doubtful she'd be amused. She just hoped the pony didn't walk right out on her. Even if she would be working from somepony else's design, a chance to please Canterlot class was nevertheless valuable.

She turned back to Guiding Light. If he really was a classmate of Sweetie's this was likely no surprise to him. Sweetie alone, was one thing, but put her with those two friends of hers and the level of the antics only grew exponentially. "All right, dear. If you say your parents will help pay, I'll believe you."

She grabbed her tape measure and nodded at the colt. "Just hold still and let me take my measurements." She smiled. "And perhaps tell me what you have in mind for the design?"

The instant that Blueblod left, Sweetie went into being Sweetie again, knocking over things. Yet even in her klutziness, she was cute.

Thankfully Rarity was ok with her parents giving the rest of the funds. Now came down to the design. He thought as Rarity began to measure him. "Well, I don't know much of fashion. Do you have any examples that I can see?"

Starburst tumbles backwards to avoid getting beamed in the head by a swinging dress form, her pencil flying out of her hooves and into a wall nearby, where it stuck like a spear, wobbling in the wall. Her sketchpad flies across the room, smacking into the side of a table where an inkwell tips precariously over the side of the desk. The cap falls off and begins to spill onto the paper, getting a few globs of ink on the paper before coming to a halt. Luckily there was only a little ink in the well, not enough to ruin the image. The sketchbook is opened up to her dress design, sketched in monochrome, which lay only a foot or so away from Rarity and her small colt companion. A glob of ink seeping into the paper

Starburst pulls herself up to her hooves with a little help from fluttering wings and trots over to the notebook, frowning. She pulled a handkerchief from her saddlebags and laid it on top of the blots of ink, letting the cloth absorb the ink before gently pulling it across the page, so that it didn't scar the image she had sketched of her dress.

"Phew.." she sighs, happy that the image wasn't scarred by the ink, she looks upon the pages adoringly, like a mother hen who had just saved one of her eggs from rolling across a road. She picks the well of ink up and caps it, replacing it on the desk. She also laid her notebook next to the inkwell well within plain sight of Rarity, before moving to see if Sweetie Belle wasn't hurt. "Are you alright?" she said kindly, helping the silly filly to her feet. "You should be more careful, you might hurt yourself if you don't pay attention to where you're walking."

starburstsketch.png

Sweetie Belle felt hollow inside, as she came to rest, her eyes wide as she looked up at Starburst kindly helping her up to her hooves. "M... M ... Miss?" She looked over to the sketchbook, spread out, unable to see the pages from over here and herself being so short. "ohno ohno ohno ohno, not again! Not another sketchbook!" she whimpered, "oh, I'm so sorry! Ohno! Ohmygoodness, I'm soooo sorry!" She was nearly trembling in her horror. Why, oh why, did this keep happening to her?!

Rarity laughed softly at the colt's comments. She smiled at him and nodded softly. "Worry not, dear. I don't expect all of my customers to be experts in fashion! Of course some customers may like to give their fair share of input, but I'm more than willing to take on most of the work when it comes to fashioning a truly fabulous design!."

"I mean only to ask for a vague guideline to go off of," Rarity continued, as she finished taking the colt's measurements. "Though even that's not entirely necessary if you just want to leave it to me." She nodded quietly. "But if you really do want to look at some suits, I could show you what I have lying around," she added indicating a small section of her shop that had an assortment of already made stallion wear.

Rarity took a moment to glance toward the others in the shop. Luckily the Canterlot mare hadn't reacted so harshly as Rarity might have expected, instead showing Sweetie kindness and offering her a helping hoof. Rarity smirked and nodded. She was one of the kind ones, she supposed. Meanwhile, Sweetie seemed kind of upset at the development. She was confident the filly was resilient enough to recover though. She'd focus on Guiding Light in the time being.

Guiding Light listened to what Rarity said about getting the general guidelines for a suit. He was a little embarrassed going into the shop not knowing even exactly what he wanted. Then Rarity mentioned that she had some premade suits for stallions. Maybe this place would spark some inspiration.

"I think I'll look at the suits," Light said, "Maybe I'll find something there."

With that Light walked over to where Rarity had the suits hung up and looked at them. They were all nicely made and something that he could see himself wearing, just on a smaller scale. He then saw a black suit with white pinstriping hanging up.

"I think I'll go with that one," Light said as he pointed to the suit that he liked.

Starburst almost wished she had accepted Sweetie Belle's offer for a snack. She sat there, waiting for the tiny colt and Rarity to finish their business. She yawns a little, bored, nibbling demurely on an apple retrieved from her saddlebags. She gently patted Sweetie Belle on the head again as she said, "It's fine, the ink didn't damage the picture. There's no harm done. Next time just be a bit more careful, alright?". She broadcasted a warm smile to Sweetie Belle and embraced her in a motherly hug.

Sweetie Belle gave a little humph and turned to go ... sort something ... and found herself running right into a dress form in the process. She let out a *squeek* and grabbed at it, hugging the pole to herself desperately to try to keep it from toppling over. She danced across the floor with the off-balance dress form, wobbling helplessly. "Whoooah! Aaahhh! Eeeeep! Nuuuu! Stop falling!" At each wobble, the dress form rocked back and forth, swishing past Starburst's head, bumping into another dress form, swishing past Rarity's head, bumping into a table ...

((Since it looks like no one made an attempt to stop or fix the pole I believe I thought of something ^_^ So long as no one has any objections of course.))

As the young filly found herself bumping into and clinging a pole, causing it to sway and swing to and fro, Dusk's eyes would quickly widen. He grew fearful of the stray pole causing harm to any of the ponies within the building and within seconds of the scene beginning, a blue aura would surround his horn quickly followed by the dress form, ceasing its movements and having it float harmlessly in the air. With a soft sigh a relief escaping him, the stallion place the dress form down back at the spot it was previous, arranging things around the room until all was well, as if nothing had happened in the first place. With a soft smile upon his face, he would look to Rarity and her customer. Once he saw they were well he looks back to Sweetie Belle and a new customer to see they were unharmed as well, the nameless mare currently comforting the distraught filly. Having no joy in seeing another so upset, he would walk up to the two before kneeling down to Sweetie's level and smiling to her, reaching out to stroke her hair with a hoof in an attempt to offer comfort. "Shhh Shhh...it's alright young one. As the lady had said, no harm as been done to her picture...and more importantly, there has been no harm done to anypony within the building. So calm yourself, there is nothing for you to be distraught over, it was but an honest and simple mistake."

Sweetie Belle sniffled lightly and hugged into Starburst. "Thank you," she said softly to her, and to Dusk. "I'm glad your pictures are all right, miss! I'm sure they'll make lovely outfits once my big sister - I mean, the Fabulista Rarity is done with them!" She straightened up, and then realized she couldn't remember what order she had been doing everything in, the panic having chased it all out of her mind. "Um, are you both sure that neither of you want anything to eat or drink while you wait?"

Rarity nodded at Guiding Light's choice. "Alright. Good selection, darling. I've always liked that one," she said. "I'll use it as a guide when I make yours."

Smiling at the colt, she gave a steady nod. "Okay, so we've been over design, price, and I have your measurements. Now all that's left is when you can expect to pick it up." She paused and looked down at her order list, it was getting pretty full, but clothes his size wouldn't take than long to make, especially since she was going off of an existing design of hers.

"I should be able to have this done and ready to pick up for you in two days. Is that acceptable, dear?" she asked.

Guiding Light smiled when Rarity mentioned that his choice as a suit design was good.

"Two days? That's fine! I'll try to pick it up then. If not, I'm sure either my mom or dad can. Thanks Rarity!"

With that the colt proceeded out to the lobby where Sweetie Belle was still attending other ponies.

"So... um... nice to see you again Sweetie Belle. I guess I'll see you in school. So... ok bye!"

With that Guiding Light headed out the door and back to his home excited that he helped a friend and was preparing for a party.

(OOC: And with that Light makes his exit from the thread. Thank you for the fun time!)

At the sight of the little filly finally calming down and looking to the two of them with a smile, he would smile in return and stand himself up. Reaching out he patted her head once more. "You need not thank me, little one. I do not feel as if I have done anything to deserve it, really." He said in a warm, soft but slightly bashful tone while reaching up to rub the back of his head. When he heard her offer though he would think silently to himself for but a moment before answer "Well...if it is not to much trouble...do you have any type of tea that you could provide?"

Sweetie Belle waved to Guiding Light as he left. "good bye, and thank you for inviting me to the party!" She pranced eagerly in place, reminded of the good fortune. She'd never been to a *real* fancy party before! Not one that someone else had planned! She didn't think Diamond Tiara's cuteameara counted ...

She turned back to Dusk and smiled brightly. "There is a pot of tea and some cups right here, if you would like a cup." She nodded politely to him, and then turned to Starburst. "And I'll get your juice for you, right away!" she turned and started to run across the room, but then remembered Prince Blueblood's guidance and slowed down to a walk, keeping her head high as her little hooves pranced delicately across the room.

Starburst waits patiently in the corner for her juice to be delivered to her. While standing there she did admire some of the decorations of the Carousel Boutique. It was very nice. It made her little Canterlot Tea Shop look dinky by comparison, but it took more than an Earth pony to enjoy the magnificence of Cloud columns and rainbows. Certainly much different than most of canterlot, but it was clear where Rarity's inspirations came from when looking at many of the dresses on the racks.

Rarity waved good by to Guiding Light as he made his exit. She smiled at Sweetie's words at him. He had invited her to a party? How sweet! It was good to see such kind behavior at such a young age. She nodded and then looked around the room. Who was next?

Her eyes settled on the remaining stallion. She motioned toward him and gave a smile. "I believe you were next, darling?" she said, tilting her head to the side as she stepped toward him.

"How might I help you on this fine day?" the unicorn asked.

• 2 weeks later...

((Hey guys, sorry about being so late on responding to the thread but had computer trouble again >< Darn hard drive!))

She turned back to Dusk and smiled brightly. "There is a pot of tea and some cups right here, if you would like a cup." She nodded politely to him, and then turned to Starburst. "And I'll get your juice for you, right away!" she turned and started to run across the room, but then remembered Prince Blueblood's guidance and slowed down to a walk, keeping her head high as her little hooves pranced delicately across the room.

As he saw the young filly smile brightly up to him he would happily smile back and offer a nod, reaching out to pat her head. "I would like and appreciate that very much. You sister must be very proud to have a sister such as yourself." He said in a warm tone before she had walked off. Once he heard the voice of Rarity though he would look around the room to find he was indeed the one she was addressing. Letting out a soft, nervous laugh, he would nod to Rarity before trotting over to her with a small, shy smile. However that smile on his face slowly faded as the reason why he was here returned to him, causing a frown to appear on his face for but a moment before he smiled once more to her. "I apologize if I kept you waiting, Lady Rarity, but your darling sister sister was attending to me. I must say that she is quite adorable and well mannered. But I digress, I am sure you have much more important things to attend to so I shall try not to take up to much of your time. From your reputation I know you often called upon for much more happier moment...but once more, I must apologize because I require your services for...a more saddening moment. I would like to ask for a suit made for myself for...attending the funeral of my parents."

Starburst yawns as the other pony has his funeral tuxedo made. She simply didn't expect such a long wait for something as small as a dress commission. She didn't want to go to a Canterlot dress shop because they were snooty and charged far too much for the same amount of work.. most likely due to laziness than anything else. The Canterlot elite were hardly cheap in their labors.

She sits down and waits rather impatiently for her juice to be delivered. "It's been a few minutes.." she thinks.

"How long can it really take to pour some juice?"

After a long time lost in the back of the shop, Sweetie Belle emerged with a silver tray on her back, walking slowly and carefully so as not to dislodge her precious cargo, or spill even the slightest drop. A thin, black wisp of smoke floated up from a scorched glass, in which a murky brown liquid roiled sickly. She smiled proudly as she brought it up to Starburst, perked eagerly as she brought the drink to the customer.

"This is a family secret recipe!" she declared, sliding the tray off of her back onto the table near Starburst. "Hot Apple Cider a'la Flambe!"

Rarity looked at the stallion as he spoke, her expression turning dour at his story. When he finished, she gave a simple nod.

"My condolences, darling. I am most sorry to hear of such overwhelming tragedy," Rarity replied in a low voice, looking downward. Both parents at once? It must have been some terrible accident. Rarity could hardly imagine such a thing. She didn't see her parents as much these days, but she truly did value them greatly; to lose such a thing, it must be devastating.

"But in terms of your request, I imagine I should be more than able to produce a custom suit for such a sobering occasion," Rarity said. This was actually an easy job. Stylistic flair wasn't really needed or even wanted at a funeral; she just needed to make something stark and simplistic, that would look nice but not draw attention away from the grave proceedings. "Let me take your measurements and after that, we should be relatively well set," she said, as she began to do so.

Looking down to the ground for a few moments as his thoughts went to his deceased parents, he couldn't prevent a tear from escaping him before a shook his head and brought a hoof up to rub it away.

When he heard Rarity speak out he would look back up and smile to in gratitude, remaining silent until she had finished speaking. Once she had finished speaking he would offer her a brief bow before looking into her eyes, the smile still present and waiting to follow her to where she would take his measurements. "Thank you very much, Lady Rarity...or just Rarity if you would prefer. I have to say what I had heard of you does not do you justice. The others in canterlot had never spoke of either your beauty or the kindness you show." He said before looking off to the side for but a moment, hoping not to have made things awkward or overstepped any boundaries. "I do not wish to bother you to much with the story and ruin your mood any more then I am sure I have...so I will just say they were the victims of a Hydra when we three were actually on our way here on business trip. While I was able to fend off the Hydra...I couldn't save my parents and they died soon after...so I was the only to survive."

Starburst stared at the glass with burnt edges. It was obvious that the glass had warped from the heat. The liquid inside had long since congealed along the edges of the glass, forming a sort of sick looking brown layer on the surface of.. actually could this even be called a liquid anymore?

Not wanting to hurt the feelings of Sweetie belle, she purses her lips closed and lifts the glass up to her mouth. The stench that rises as the liquid moves is sickly sweet, and almost forces a reaction away from her poker face. Still, she manages to stay composed and it looks as if she's drinking for a moment or two, instead the "liquid" is only barely touching her lips, and not passing at all through beneath them. It was a technique she once learned and mastered in Canterlot when one didn't want to imbibe but was offered something they just couldn't refuse.

She leans over and pats Sweetie Belle on the mane, smiling at her. "Thank you for the refreshments." she says, inching closer to a plant inconspicuously.

Sweetie Belle leaned forward eagerly, as Starburst lets the thick brown sludge touch at her lips ... at Starburst's positive reaction, she brightens, a gleeful, downright joyful smile lighting up her face! Her entire posture opens up as she prances in place. "Oh, I'm *so* glad you like it!" she cries happily, and settles down expectantly to watch Starburst finish the juice!