[Ponyville - Carousel Boutique] A Dressmaker's Calling [FOLLOW-UP PHASE]

RarityDash

"Lady Rarity is more than fine, I'd say," the fashionista said with a small giggle and a flip of her mane. "A fitting title for a mare of taste and elegance..." she added, but without too much of her usual flair. She wasn't to be respectful, but she wanted to avoid being too grim. This pony was already in such a no doubt dark place, she didn't want to bring him down further by acting like her loved ones had died as well. A certain lightness in these situations was needed.

She couldn't stay all light however, given the matter at hoof. Rarity gave a solemn nod at the mention of the monster that had attacked this pony and his parents. "A hydra you say? That's a terrible, frightening and I might be obliged to add ugly beast. I have friends who just narrowly escaped one in a chase..." the unicorn spoke with some heaviness. "It's a tragic thing your parents were not so lucky. I'm truly sorry for your loss."

After a few more moments, Rarity had the pony's measurements down. "I think I have what I need."

Rarity went over a few more details with the colt about making the suit and when she was done, pushed him along. "Okay, I think you're all set. Come back in a few days and I should have everything ready for you to pick up."

As the colt left the shop she nodded to the last customer she had waiting. "All right then, darling. How may I help you today?" she asked as she studied the Canterlot mare.

(EDIT: Post has been edited. These repeated lapses in activity from silentnomad043 are worrisome and annoying. At this point, I feel no choice but to push things along and continue without said user as it is unfair to the rest of us to have to wait).

Edited by Phil the Time Wizard

• 2 weeks later...

Starburst sets her "beverage", down on the table, where it promptly begins to melt through its glass, through the table, and onto the floor. It's a wonder what a filly can do with some apple juice and a blowtorch nowadays. She gently pats Sweetie belle on the head in silent mourning for the juice that once was.

Adressed by the fashionista she promptly turns her head from the juicy catastrophe and its creator wondering how her lips survived where the table and glass did not. "I'm here to commission a dress for my Gala. I've sketched out a design on the sketchpad over there." she says, pointing a hoof in the direction of the sketchpad. It needs to be ready shortly, and it will be on display to all of the canterlot elite while I'm wearing it during the Gala, so it must be absolutely perfect. Naturally I knew I had to come here. Few can take needle to thread on a dressmaker's form and come up with things half as good as you've created.. And I've bought many a dress in the past from others and found their work to be not quite up-to-snuff."

Sweetie Belle let out a soft *eek!* as the juice ate its way through the table and floor. She produced a washrag and swiftly started trying to clean up the mess, even as the rag itself started to dissolve. No matter - she had spares! She used a second rag to clean up the juice and the first melting rag, and as the second rag also started to dissolve, she paniced and threw it out the window. From out in the street, came the anguished cry of "My cabbages!"

Sweetie didn't notice, though, she was too worried about the hole in Rarity's table! She glanced around swiftly, worriedly ... then took a doily and sliiiiid it over on the table to cover the hole. There! That was a good use for a doily! To cap it off, she took a vase of flowers and put it on top of the doily. Perfect! Nopony would ever know!

Rarity frowned slightly at the request. That was right, this last one was a pony who sought to use her own design. Sure, Rarity would take the order; she had done similar work before, but for an artistically minded pony like her, the hat of the simple seamstress wasn't quite as satisfying to wear as that of the designer. In her eyes it was the same as commissioning a famous author to type up a copy of someone else's manuscript. She'd still do it, and do it to the absolute best of her ability though. Whether an order satisfied her creatively or not, in her shop the customer was always right, and she would do everything in her power to make them as happy with their purchase as she possibly could be.

"All right, darling, I'd be delighted to sew this dress for you," she said staring at the design. It was actually pretty good; this mare was clearly around high fashion enough to know how an elegant dress should look. She certainly knew more about designing dresses than Rarity's five friends did. She smiled and gave a nod, feeling reassured.

"How shortly is shortly though?" she asked, head tilted, realizing that this pony seemed kind of in a hurry. "I typically don't like to shuffle my orders about all too much... but in the case of an emergency, and since I don't have to bother coming up with the design myself, I could possibly be able to expedite your order if you'd like. When do you want it done?"

Starburst beamed at the reception and shuffled away from the slowly melting table. "Ehehe... Would you be able to finish it by tomorrow evening.. perhaps?" she said innocently, scratching the back of her head with a hoof, avoiding eye contact and pursing her lips in knowing that in coming here so late with her party planning she was putting an awful lot of stress on the dressmaker to create something elegant and magnificent in such a short period of time.

"If you could I would definitely be willing to include a ticket to the event in your payment, as well as mentioning to a few of the Canterlot upper crust where I got such a magnificently crafted dress.." Starburst said, ending her sentence short. It wasn't good haggling sense to put all your cards on the table at once, and she had a few more cards to throw out before the negotiations were over.

2uqp3iu.png

At last, he had mustered up the courage, the will, and the means to smuggle himself onto a freighter, and traveled to Ponyville. But it wasn't Ponyville he came for. No, his last visit to this humble town was short-lived indeed. No, he was here for something much more glorious. More serene, more graceful, more lovely than the brightest and full field of daisies.

He came for Miss Rarity.

Tom got to the Boutique door, because magic, but for the darnest reason just... Could not bring himself to knock upon the door and call upon the pretty unicorn. Was it nerves? Fear of being rejected once again? He was her diamond once... Could she ever love him so again? Tom was a secret agent now... Even he knew their love could never be, even if she would take him back into her welcoming embrace. But to simply gaze upon her, to take in her visage just one more time...

Perhaps his heart could finally emerge from rock bottom.

And so he sat there. Silent, and unmoving. A bug crawled across him, though besides that there were virtually no signs of life. He was still as a stone. Likely trying to come up with something to say should Rarity discover him standing there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sweetie Belle let out a sigh of relief at seeing she had no more customers to take care of. As excited as she was about helping Rarity out, it had been a lot more work than she'd expected! Still ... she let out another sigh, this one a bit twitterpated, as she remembered how that handsome Prince Blueblood had treated her so nicely. And he was available! How could such a sweet and nice stallion - and a prince! - be available?

Then she remembered the whole point of this - to get her boutique-related cutie mark, so she and Rarity could be fashionista sisters together! She quickly twisted her head around, moving in a few little circles as she tried to see whether she'd gotten a cutie mark yet, then let out a sigh. Ah well, no cutie mark. Well, no worries, there's plenty of things to do as a Fashionista's assistant!

First off, she needed to make sure no other ponies tried to cut in line! That had been a *real* problem. She glanced out the window to see if any other ponies were coming. Huh, her view of the road was blocked by the boulder out front. Ah well. She stepped away from the window to -

What? Boulder?

She stepped outside, and peered up at the sizable boulder sitting before the Boutique. How very *strange*! Had it just been delivered? She wondered if it came from Pinkie's family farm. "Well, hello there, Mister Rock!" she said cheerfully, not really expecting an answer. "I wonder where you came from?" She frowned, rubbing her chin as she looked at it in consideration. It wasn't ... *fancy* enough to be out in front of the Boutique by itself ... how could Sweetie pretty it up?

Rarity nodded slowly as the pony spoke. She had no problems with the mare's design, but Rarity wasn't perhaps as excited as the pegasus hoped about the idea of having her name bandied about in association with a dress for which she hadn't had a creative hoof in the design process. Considering the dress was good, this wasn't quite like the awful ensembles her friends had wrenched out of her when they were all convinced that they could wear the hat of a designer, but there were similar feelings to be had. She'd generally rather have a direct hold on her reputation rather than letting it fall on designs that weren't hers in the first place.

"I do appreciate the sentiment, darling, but I'd hate to be taking all the credit for your lovely design," Rarity said, finding a smile. "And as for your Gala, I do very much enjoy such events and I am most gracious for the offer, but with all the work I have piling up as of late I'm unsure I'll quite be able to commit to an appearance. I'll have to check my schedule."

"I'll definitely be able to have this dress done by tomorrow though. Do not worry there," she said, nodding.

• 2 weeks later...

misty_morning_post_banner_by_jaelachan-d535gxj.png

Not knowing what else to do with herself while she was in Ponyvile she stopped over to the Carousel Boutique where there was a very certain somepony who had knocked her out during the young flyers competition on that faithful day. It had brought her to not only love Unicorn magic all the more, but also fashion, as she was always in the spotlight (or so she thought) it would be wondrous to have a fancy dress to wear every now and then. She stepped past a huge rock that blocking the door and lightly tapped on the door. She didn't want to intrude on things that were going on inside so she felt that she would be generous and wait for somepony to answer rather then crowed into the boutique with the other paitrons.

"Oh my, you are a rather large rock." Misty said as she attempted to size up Tom (Who I am assuming isn't really in this thread anymore?) but to no avail she gave up and figured it was just a natural occurance in Ponyvile to have large rocks, I mean heck there were kissing booths, foals going on field trips and lighting trees on fire, and most reminiscent of all....a rainbow mare named Rainbow Dace....or was it Prance...maybe Trance? Nah, it had to be Rainbow Dance....

Oh my.

He wasn't expecting such a welcome! The lovely Rarity's little sister and and nice pegasus mare... both whom he never met. However he was familiar with Sweetie Belle. It was interesting to meet the little filly face to face... Well, in different regards to what they had for a face since Sweetie had an actual face while Tom has to make due with a devilishly handsome rock face.

Mister Rock? Such manners! But Mr. Rock was his father.

But now he was a large rock? How flattering. This sudden burst of attention made him freeze up. He was unmoving and silent. But inside, he was warm. Happy. He felt welcome. Now if only he could find a way to get his darling Rarity to notice him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sweetie Belle perked up as a pegasus pony came up to the Boutique and knocked. [colour=#800080] "Oh, hello!"[/colour] she said primly, forgetting about the rock briefly to hurry over to Misty Morning. [colour=#800080] "The Fabulista is in, and she'll be happy to help you as soon as she's done with-" [/colour] She paused and stepped out of the way as Starburst exited the shop. [colour=#800080] "Have a lovely day, Miss! I'm glad you enjoyed the hot apple juice!" [/colour] She turned back to Misty Morning. [colour=#800080] "The Fabulista is free to see you, now!"[/colour] she chirped merrily. [colour=#800080] "Please step inside and she will help you be even more beautiful!"[/colour]

She turned back to the rock, considering, then her face brightened up and she ran around behind the shop. She was gone only a short time before she appeared once more, carrying a bunch of flowers with their roots exposed, and a little trowel. She started digging around the big boulder, setting up a scraggly little row of flowers before him. Sweetie Belle was *certain* that Rarity would love this! Why have these flowers in a garden in the back of the boutique when they could be beautifying the front of the boutique for the customers? She then hung some pretty streamers around the rock. [colour=#800080]"There! Rarity will think you're beautiful, now!" [/colour]she squeaked happily.

• Like 2

((OOC: okay, time to give my plans for the future of this thread. Spoilered below for length. :) ))

Since Alison gave up Misty Morning after her last post, and since there's going to be a vote off and she may not get the character back, I think I'm going to retcon her out of the thread for now. If you do get Misty back, Alison, feel free to bring her back around when you see the thread is open. Rarity would love a chance to serve her! ;)

Anyway, I've really kinda been somewhat dissatisfied with the progression of this thread. I intended it to be my primary active public thread for ponies to meet Rarity if they wanted to, but because of the strict post order I had to close the thread off to new players pretty early to keep it moving at all, and even still it's progressed at a snail's pace. Through the many months it's been open Rarity has only taken six orders; that's just not good enough, I think, and now that it's cleared out, I think it's time to enact some changes. Additionally, it's only so much fun to order a dress or a suit as opposed to receiving it and getting to try it on and all that. I had always intended to allow follow up scenes where ponies who have ordered dresses could come back around and actually receive them for Rarity, but this wasn't going to ever be practical if i kept the thread open long term.

So, here's how this will work from now on. The thread will have two repeating phases, order and follow up. During the order phase, the thread will be completely open to whoever wants to drop by. There will be order slots for eight ponies. Once eight ponies have been served, the shop will close for the day and Rarity will spend then next two (in character) days making dresses. The follow up phase will then happen where any of the eight who placed orders may come back around to the shop to pick up their order and try it on if they so please. This part is elective for the customer. It's entirely up to you to follow through and engage on these scenes. If you do not, it will be assumed that your order was picked up without event. Once the follow ups scenes are through, the order phase will resume once more with eight more open slots.

The strict turn order is also going to be a thing of the past. It'll now work much like riverhippo's 100 Country Kisses or Rosewind's Visions of Frosting and Terror. The pony at the front of the line who is currently being served by Rarity and Rarity herself will exchange posts. Ponies in the waiting area may meanwhile converse and interact with each other as they wait if they so choose. Any cast characters who want to stick around and interact with customers and Rarity for certain days or phases are entirely welcome to for so long as they please. So, Bramble and Magi, it's entirely up to you how long you want to keep Sweetie and Tom around for this, and if anyone else wants to have their cast character drop in just to hang out with Rarity as she works, that's fine. :)

Now then, for now, the first follow up phase will begin following this post. The following ponies are permitted to come back around for follow up scenes:

• Valen Orange - SteelEagle
  • Hookline - Baroquen
  • Prince Blueblood - Stainless Steel Fox
  • Guiding Light - Lux
  • Dusk Aegis - silentnomad043
  • Starburst - Starburst

These scenes will be first come first serve. It's up to you to actually follow through on it; if you do not say anything, the thread will continue onward regardless and it will be assumed your pony picked up their order. For continuity sake, you will not get another chance to have a follow up if you miss your follow up phase. The point of this thread is to serve as many ponies as is possible; I do not want to make a habit of going backwards with it.

Anyway, I know that's a lot of new rules, changes and just a lot to take in, but hopefully this will make this move faster and allow Rarity to serve more ponies than she could before. :)

The pegasus Rarity had been serving left with hardy another word; Rarity could only assume she was in a hurry. Rarity shrugged and looked around to see that her shop had now cleared out of customers. This only made sense as it was now getting kind of late in the day. The rush had died down like it always did. The unicorn looked down at her order list and nodded. She had a lot of work to do over the next couple days. It was probably a good idea to get started sooner rather than later, especially given she had an order for a prince and a Canterlot mare in there.

[colour=#663399]"Thank you for helping me out today, Sweetie,"[/colour] Rarity said as she passed her sister while headed toward her door. She was surprised. Sweetie hadn't been so hopeless as she might have thought. There were a few hiccups here and there, but for the most part Sweetie had done surprisingly well, Rarity thought. At that moment, she felt like encouraging her. [colour=#663399]"You're welcome to come back and help me out whenever you get the time."[/colour]

Smiling, Rarity continued toward her door, prepared to flip her sign and close up shop. She opened it slowly and stepped out. There was nothing that could prepare her for what she saw there. Nothing.

[colour=#663399]"This can't be... this isn't... no... it's... It can't be... you..."[/colour] Rarity started to mumble as she stared in shock at the large but all too familiar rock sitting just outside her door. This couldn't be that rock. It just could not be the same one.

And yet something in Rarity knew that it was. This was the rock she had once thought was a diamond. Despite wanting to never speak of it again, here that embarrassing blemish on her history was before her again. [colour=#663399]"What are you doing here?"[/colour] she started accusatorially, losing for a second the fact that talking to a big rock was silly. As big as the rock was, getting it hauled away might take some time, and she didn't have a lot to spare at the moment.

That was when she noticed something else amiss. There was a line of flowers there in front of the oversized rock. That would be fine, but the flowers were inexpertly planted; furthermore, they just hadn't been there before. Most alarming, however, was the fact that these flowers looked quite familiar... just like the sort she had in her back garden.

Rarity suddenly became quite anxious. No. She couldn't have. Instantly, however, she knew she had. Just when Rarity was convinced her sister was becoming more sensible, she would have to go and do something like this! [colour=#663399]"I'll figure out what to do with you some other day!"[/colour] she told the rock with frustration before quickly turning her sign and heading back inside.

[colour=#663399]"Sweetie Belle!"[/colour] she called out sharply to her sister, more than ready to deliver a lengthy lecture about not digging into other ponies' flower gardens.

--- End Order Phase 1 ---

Two days of hard work and lots of focus later, Rarity found herself at her usual place in the boutique, smiling at all the completed orders. She wore a smile and hummed to herself pleasantly, pleased with her work. She wondered who would come to pick up their order first...

((Follow up Phase begin: If you have one of the ponies eligible for a follow up scene, just be the next person to post and we'll start it off now. If no one initiates a follow up scene for three days, the next order phase will begin))

• Like 1

ValenOrange1withtext.png

It was a pleasant day for a stroll through a town as idyllic calm and without issue such as Ponyville. His experiences in the city told him that even the early day rush in Manehattan was full of chaos and an aggressive manner. Ponyville's flavor was wildly different as even in the most active times of he town it paled in comparison to the city. Not that he needed Ponyville to be active to give him cause to feel as if he was being pushed around. He had Sweet Apple Acres for that and despite all the love bandied back and forth there it made his weary muscles feel at the point of shattering on a daily basis. He wasn't a colt of any noted physicality and even the easiest labors at the farm threatened to ground him beneath the ceaseless tide they represented.

Yet, even in this situation, he had outlets for his peculiar desires and wishes. Who would have known that a relatively well known designer of such skill in fashion would reside in a town politely called quant? It had come as a pleasurable shock and he had wasted no time, or bits, on making a rather specific order. He doubted that the Apple family would appreciate his garb and thus had little choice other than to save it for Manehattan. In retrospect it would have been a bit wiser to just have it shipped home, but he was rather excited to have a new dress. Besides, meeting Rarity was an honor for a pony with an eye for fashion and despite his age he was certain that his experiences amongst the high class and society in Manehattan fixed him as close to an expert on fashion as a pony of his age and tastes could claim.

So with excitement hardly contained, Valen had worked for the past three days with the knowledge that his labor was going to be rewarded, even if it was really not related at all. Still, the night previous he had made sure to ask for the early day off, as he had no intention of seeing Rarity and his marvelous new dress with the smell of heavy labor and the farm sticking to him like an odourous blanket. He had washed well and as he walked through town he smelled of flowers, a rather intentional decision seeing as the only other soap he had that had a smell was an apple one. He guessed that everypony in Ponyville had enough of that smell already and he wasn't going to inflict it anymore than he had to.

The walk wasn't far too long and he soon found himself at the Boutique. Had it been long enough? He assumed so, but there was only one way to find out. Valen straightened himself out, stretched out his sore front left hoof, and opened the door.

[colour=#0033cc]"Hello, Miss Rarity!"[/colour] Valen began with great cheer, nearly bouncing in as he took in the glorious sights around him.

((ooc: Good to hear it. Make sure you keep an eye on the thread so you know when to jump in. :) ))

[colour=#0033CC]"Hello, Miss Rarity!"[/colour]

Rarity's bell soon rang and with it came the sounds of a young voice calling out to her. The unicorn smiled as she jumped up to her hooves, ready to serve the customer. She gave a nod to the young colt as he entered. So it was Valen Orange who was first to come for his order that day? Excellent; after their first encounter she found herself rather fond of the young colt. He was cousin to one of her closest friends; a cheerful colt but one with the taste to be expected of the proper Manehattan family he came from. He was quite adorable.

Working on his order had been fun. He had requested something with a casual spring vibe inspired by a certain gold satin dress worn by Sapphire Shores at a red carpet event not too long ago. The mare had followed the order closely and with some creative flair come up with a shimmering satin suit that accurately matched the class and boldness of the original dress while still remaining casual. Rarity was quite pleased with the piece and she was positive Valen would look just darling in it. She only hoped he was pleased with it.

[colour=#663399]"Good morning, Valen, dear! It's great to see you again,"[/colour] Rarity said with a smirk to the colt.[colour=#663399] "How have you been these last few fine days?"[/colour]

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Rarity was a businessmare and so Valen knew to expect a certain degree of required politeness, but she had yet to hear a bad thing about her and her character came through as clear as a cloudless day in Ponyville. Which, he thought to himself with curiosity, was far more common than in Manehattan. A higher percentage of weather pegasi, perhaps? No matter, his wandering mind be condemned for it's tomfoolery. he was just excited. Excited to be treated so well by a pretty mare with such genuine artistry and character and excited to see the product of her unique labor.

[colour=#0033cc]"Busy, as you may expect from the Apple family, Miss Rarity. Farm labor is even more difficult than I had any reason to suspect at first, and that's without a small clutch of homicidal chickens accosting me,"[/colour] He offered up with a nervous laugh, the names of those creatures etched into his very soul at this stage in the trip. The Apple family must have been feeding them a steady diet of Manehattanite youth if his experiences at the beak-end was to be considered,

[colour=#0033cc]"Though, also very excited. The great Rarity, designing something for me personally? Dear Celestia, I never imagined such a thing! Applejack doesn't pay you enough favors, I believe. How much do I owe you?"[/colour] He asked at the end as his back hooves started to tap a somewhat nervous tone, though anyone who could inspect his eyes saw an excited hunger flash acutely and with increasing intensity as the time passed. This place looked divine and soon he would as well. Those chickens may have etched their names into his soul, but they sure couldn't stop him from looking beautiful.

Sweetie Belle came out of the back room, carrying a bolt of cloth slowly and carefully for Rarity. She was wearing her 'Shop Assistant' outfit again, though Rarity had found a smaller measuring tape for herself, and had given her empty frames for glasses, instead. She slid the bolt of cloth off onto the table where rarity had told her to place it, then turned to make sure Rarity had seen she was being good! Especially after yesterday's mistakes ...

[colour=#800080]"Oh! Hello!"[/colour] she chirped happily, seeing Valen there. He looked familiar ... hadn't she seen him around the Apple Family farm? [colour=#800080]"Uh, nice to see you again, uh ... Mister Orange! Are you here to get yourself a nice little suit?"[/colour] He was an orange, right? What was his name again? [colour=#800080]"You remember me, right? Sweetie Belle?"[/colour]

[colour=#0033CC]"Busy, as you may expect from the Apple family, Miss Rarity. Farm labor is even more difficult than I had any reason to suspect at first, and that's without a small clutch of homicidal chickens accosting me."[/colour]

Rarity giggled softly at the response she got. Poor thing. A far really wasn't much place for a pony of his sort. She gave a slow nod. [colour=#663399]"I see, dear. It really is no surprise that my dear friend is keeping you so terribly busy. I do hope it's not too much for you to bear..."[/colour]

[colour=#0033CC]"Though, also very excited. The great Rarity, designing something for me personally? Dear Celestia, I never imagined such a thing! Applejack doesn't pay you enough favors, I believe. How much do I owe you?"[/colour]

The unicorn laughed some more. This young colt sure knew how to flatter. He really was the sweetest thing. She grinned softy and nodded. [colour=#663399]"You really know how to talk sweet, darling,"[/colour] she said with a smile. [colour=#663399]"But as for price, it's my policy not to name one until the customer has seen what they'll be getting!"[/colour]

It was about then that, Sweetie emerged, still wearing her adorable "assistant" outfit. Rarity chuckled. [colour=#663399]"Good morning, Sweetie Belle,"[/colour] she said, smiling as her sister went to cheerfully greet the customer.

Turning back to Valen, she tilted her head and smiled. [colour=#663399]"Ready to see it?"[/colour] she asked.

2uqp3iu.png

It was a new day, and Tom still sat happily outside the lovely Rarity's boutique.

Oh his heart was still aflutter! He saw his darling just last night! She was just as beautiful as he remembered, with a voice like a thousand angels!

[colour=#663399]"This can't be... this isn't... no... it's... It can't be... [/colour]you...[colour=#663399]"[/colour]

He tried so hard to find the words right then and there. To say[colour=#a9a9a9] 'Yes, my darling, it is I. Tom. Your diamond has returned. Embrace me, and let us be together once more...'[/colour]

Oh but cruel fate! His nerves got the better of him yet again. She continued to speak, she almost seemed upset, but the very sight of her before him distracted Tom. His limbs were like stone. He could not bring himself to leave. Though her initial shock betrayed her irritation. He was sure of it. She was happy to see him again, just as he was happy to see her.

But for now, he sat content outside her shop, those dead flowers still around him. A fair attempt, Sweetie Belle. He was certainly glad to have someone who wished to see his heart fulfilled help him in his endeavors... Perhaps he might be able to enlist the young filly's assistance once more? There had to be some way to get Rarity to admit she still loves him...

He knew it to be true! It just had to be so!

• Like 2

ValenOrange1withtext.png

The filly that came out of the depths of the boutique was certainly a chipper one, her voice as alarmingly excited and upbeat as he thought possible. Had he seen her before? For the life of him he could not match her with any of the faces or voices in his memory, and with how unique it was, that meant she was new to him. Apparently though he wasn't new to her and rather than look foolish in front of a famous mare and excited and friendly filly, he decided to play it off. Cool may not have been his middle name, but it was better than fool. He noticed she lacked a cutie mark and decided on a shot in the dark.

[colour=#0033cc]"Valen Orange, to be exact,"[/colour] He corrected with a friendly smile, hiding his nervousness rather well.

[colour=#0033cc]"And yes, I do remember you, Sweetie Belle. You're one of Apple Bloom's friends in the Cutie Mark Crusaders, correct?"[/colour] He offered up confidently and with a practiced smile, at least reasonably sure that he had her pegged. She certainly seemed like a Sweetie Belle and the other pony that Apple Bloom wouldn't stop talking about until she was blue in the face(which was quite the feat considering her natural yellow tone) was Scootaloo and this unicorn didn't remind her of anypony who'd have scoot in their name. He offered a polite head bow as was customary in the academy, a nice show of personal manners for Miss Rarity, whom he turned his attention to swiftly without answering the telling question of whether or not he was there for a suit. He wasn't comfortable enough with Miss Rarity's little assistant to say something as bold as his true desire in front of her.

[colour=#0033cc]"I am quite ready, Miss Rarity. I cannot wait to see it!" [/colour]His voice was tinted with excitement, but it started to taper off quickly as he realized there was another pony in the room. He tried to console himself with the fact that she must have been a fashion pony herself, being Rarity's chosen assistant and all, and wasn't likely to have considered it entirely too odd. Then again, Valen wasn't a nervous ball of frayed nerves when things didn't go according to plan for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#663399]"Ah, so you two have met before?"[/colour] Rarity started, nodding at the recognition between Sweetie and Valen. She had served Valen the other day before Sweetie had arrived at the boutique to assist, so they hadn't encountered each other then. She supposed it did make sense they were acquainted. The two were a similar age and considering he was staying at Sweet Apple Acres with little Apple Bloom presently, it followed rather naturally.

The unicorn continued to smile. Valen was probably a good friend for Sweetie Belle to make. He was kind and polite and came from Manehattan affluence and class. He was the sort the filly could learn from. [colour=#663399]"But yes, my dearest sister, Valen here did place the most darling of orders here just the other day! It was right before you came over, if I recall."[/colour]

[colour=#0033CC]"I am quite ready, Miss Rarity. I cannot wait to see it!" [/colour]

She glanced back toward Valen and nodded. [colour=#663399]"Very well, Valen dear, right this way!"[/colour] she said boldly, stepping back to an area where a number of her orders were on display on dress forms.

[colour=#663399]"And here it is!" [/colour]she declared cheerfully, as she raised her hooves and pointed toward the fabulous shiny golden suit, perfectly sized to the young colt's measurements. She smiled brightly as her eyes fell on the young pony, eager to see his reaction.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen knew of many creative types in Manehattan. It was a beacon for all those with that sizzling spark of creativity that was offered to those who would also accept that tinge of madness that came with genius. Gilded Lily was a marvelous little example of that, as Valen doubted she was equaled by any filly her age in the art of fashion. Whether that was proper payment for her awful temper and her slight inability to count very higher was something he would debate rather excitedly on, but he figured that wasn't for him to decide. The creative elite were a league unto their own and he was honored to have been served by one of such exquisite taste and personality. Whether or not she had some inner madness about her would be revealed shortly he was sure. Whether or not he would care all that much was a matter of another flavor.

Rarity stepped back and in a flourish all of her own revealed what she had worked on. Immediately he was taken in by dazzling colors and fine looking textures of the ensemble. Too bad it wasn't what he had asked for, and while his smile was undimmed(he was used to putting in a brave face in fashion by this stage in his life), his heart sank somewhat. He had to have expected it, of course. A colt in his position should never have expected a mare of her flavor to have understood his request. She was proper, refined, and predictable in all the ways that a shopkeeper was. Why would she think to make a dress for a colt? It was an order of unusual caliber and why should she have expected something like that from him? He was used to it. It wasn't the first and it was surely not going to be the final time when the order he placed and desired was anything but the order he received. he was well versed in how to lie with his body, his reaction to disappointment fine tuned.

He kept his smile up despite a very slight drop in the shoulders. He cantered on off in some silence, the clip-clop of his hooves the only sound he made before he got to the suit.

[colour=#0033cc]"Wow! It looks...amazing, Miss Rarity. You have certainly lived up to your billing!"[/colour] He said, feeling the finely stitched collar. It was superb, truly. If only that was what he wanted. He trailed his hoof along where the chest would be, the buttons snapping loosely as they should.

[colour=#0033cc]"This is stellar work! Where did you get the material for it?"[/colour] He asked, turning around to face Miss Rarity with all the strength a fake grin offered.

Sweetie Belle let out a soft *gasp* as she saw the golden suit, and quivered eagerly to see Valen's reaction. If it was *her*, she would have bounced up and down squeaking out 'thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!" but Valen apparantly had better manners, giving a close examination and polite, reserved praise for the work of art.

She stepped up next to Valen, and was unable to restrain herself from making her own comments. [colour=#800080]"Oh, it's *gorgeous*, you'll look *beautiful* in it! So elegant!" [/colour] Were those the right adjectives for a colt? [colour=#800080]"Very, very handsome, that is!"[/colour] There, that should be better. [colour=#800080] "I wouldn't mind wearing that, myself, it's so lovely!"[/colour] Wait, no, compliment the customer! How *did* Rarity manage to keep giving away all these works of art, day after day, that she'd put so much work into? Her voice cracked with energy as she said, [colour=#800080]"It will go *so* well with your coat and mane! Do you have a special fancy party you're going to?"[/colour]

That's when it hit her - she'd been told, yesterday, that some nice little colt was going to show up today to get a fancy tux and ask her out to the fancy party! Was Valen it? He *was* the most upper-class colt in all of Ponyville! Would he ask her now? No, he'd wait till after he had the tux on, to make the best impression!

[colour=#800080]"Would you like to try it on?"[/colour] Sweetie Belle squeaked eagerly, leaning towards Valen with her eyes shining excitedly to see him wear it!

• Like 1