Today I found this clip where Derpy from "The Last RoundUp" was altered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2CRjPO73Dg

At first i wonder if it was a fan edit but upon further research, the clip is indeed from a re-uploaded version of The Last Round Up on iTunes (so glad I grabbed the original version). In the new version she is no longer named and her voice is clearly redone to remove all ambiguity about her gender; she also loses some of the cross-eyes that she is iconicly so well known for.*

Studio B had nothing to do with the change, and from what is said, Derpy will still be appearing "as is", at least for the rest of season 2. The compiled megathread on the latest on Derpy is here with all the relavent information.

Personally I don't mind the clearly feminine new voice and if that was the only change, I wouldn't be disappointed at all. I am just bummed they removed her name and removed the "cross eye" look, especially after all the Easter Eggs with her eyes we the animators did over the last two seasons as a nod to the fandom.

It should also be noted that we as the fandom are still pretty much in the dark on the whole thing. Neither Hasbro nor the Hub has made any official statement on the whole Derpy "issue", so sending mad letters to either would be simply counterproductive (so don't do it). Hopefully something will be officially said in the near future, because right now all we have are a million Internet rumors.

*Although iTunes has been issued an updated episode, the The Friendship Express DVD still contains the original.

According to the Mlp wiki(I do not make claim to its accuracy), the original voice actor did not know that derpy was female, and voiced her based off a neighbor's son, so the voice retcon makes sense. Also, they might have cut the derpy name in order to canonize her as ditzy, from winter wrap up, in order to streamline things later down the road. These are all just guesses though.

I'm kind of getting tired of the whole Derpy thing. It's been discussed and done to death, and until (and if) we get any more information about why this change took place, anyone's guess is as good as speculation.

I will say that Derpy is not our only influence on the creative talent in the show. There are many other background characters we have given life and popularity to, and all of them can be used by Studio B in future episodes to "shout out" to us in a positive -- and probably less controversial -- way.

If anything, this situation is a solemn reminder that not everyone can or will appreciate what the creators of FiM do for us, even little things like giving a bigger role and voice to a background character that we helped design. It's also a reminder that Hasbro must be very cautious with their decisions about what content to include in FiM in the future. It's a precious property to them, and out of respect for their intended audience and their parents, I think they have to make the unpopular choice when it comes to making big decisions that could displease thousands.

The best thing we can do now is continue to support the show, and show some understanding into why this happened, instead of pointing blame at one party or another. Maybe some information will come to light in the near future, and this whole debacle can be buried for good.

I think a good option at this point is, if we think so, to write letters saying we like the new voice for Derpy (make sure we use that name) but do not mention anything else. Anyone with common sence will read between the lines and see we dont like the rest. This way we can show support for what we do think is good, and also gently imply we dont like the rest.

Also, I'm not a fan of petitions since they usually get so little notice, but I think they're worth a shot, so sign them but dont leave nasty comments.

hi hi

Perhaps this post can be a place for factual information as it comes out? I think a lot of people are very weary of angry debates, and there's been lots of hurt feelings, so I'm sure we can avoid delving back into a flame war here.

Its true some days are dark and lonely, but right here, I know we've got plenty of sunshine, sunshine. :)

• Like 3

Perhaps this post can be a place for factual information as it comes out? I think a lot of people are very weary of angry debates, and there's been lots of hurt feelings, so I'm sure we can avoid delving back into a flame war here.

I wasn't worried about a flame war in the other topic, but good luck to anyone to keep the topic factual. :/

I wasn't worried about a flame war in the other topic, but good luck to anyone to keep the topic factual. :/

Oh here it goes like this:

Things not to discuss: religion, Politics, Ethics, Derpy.

(that was intended as humor but the laugh kinda died in my throat I'm afraid...)

Ah, another Derpy topic.

I agree that right now we have tons of speculation fueled by emotion. I heard everything from "It's just for that one episode and Derpy will remain as she is for the rest" to "They're planning on cutting Derpy from the series period" to "Oh noes! Hasbro hates bronies!"

All in all these are just speculation.

The problem is that speculation is starting to lead to drama. We must be careful not to exchange passion of a character for Hatred and Intolerance.

So if you want to write to Hasbro or Studio B or whoever concerning Derpy or anything else, don't send hate mail. Simple as that.

In the meantime, I'm waiting to see the official word from Hasbro.

Remember, Love and Tolerance.

"Oh noes! Hasbro hates bronies!"

Oh gawd, I hope the person was speaking in a metaphrical view (i.e. "Derpy" represents "bronies" etc) because realistically, that is just silly since hasbro has officially said we're a marketable demographic --- I mean come on, what corporation doesnt love $$$? ;)

830px-Rarity_lay_down_crying_2.png

that's it, you won the thread ;) I really wish we'd gotten that Drama Couch emote in that we'd talked about a while back

• Like 1

It seems to me that apple is the culprit here rarther than Hasbro, as they have the right to edit things on iTunes. I doubt Hasbro would actualy remove one of the most beloved characters (of ALL TIME!!!) from the show becase some people are "offended" by a clumsy gray horse with a silly voise and a lazy eye. The MLP team has rarley, if ever, let us down as a fandom before and I doubt they'll start now. But I suppose untill an official statement is given, nopony can say for sure :/

It seems to me that apple is the culprit here rarther than Hasbro, as they have the right to edit things on iTunes. I doubt Hasbro would actualy remove one of the most beloved characters (of ALL TIME!!!) from the show becase some people are "offended" by a clumsy gray horse with a silly voise and a lazy eye. The MLP team has rarley, if ever, let us down as a fandom before and I doubt they'll start now. But I suppose untill an official statement is given, nopony can say for sure :/

I really want to believe this, but the animation changed. If it was only a re-dub I'd have said Apple might have even done it in-house, but to "underp" her eyes in all those frames... either they spent an insane amount of time and $$$ to redo the animation (unlikely) or they told StudioB to change it or else it stayed down. (Though again, it could be Apple being ham-fisted, not hasbro responding to the anti-derpy movement)

I still think that it's silly to consider Derpy offensive

Perhaps what they could do is put Derpy's name back in the version with the altered voice (considering it's the voice that received so many complaints, considering there characters with names like "Dopey" that nobody complained about, the name Derpy shouldn't be that problematic) and put that on T.V. and i-tunes (listed as the T.V. version) and have the original with the unaltered voice also avalible on i-tunes and labled as the directors cut or perhaps 20% Derpier version, then everyone's happy

• Like 1

I think the reason the DVDs remained unchanged is because they were already in production by the time the "controversy" or whatever caused the change came into effect. Thus, it would have cost them a fortune to just recall the already pressed DVDs. Unless they show the unaltered version on the HUB, I'm positive that this change was conducted by Hasbro itself.

We really don't know who is responsible. Both companies are interested in their own self image and likely did not want to be caught in a controversy. However, I'm leaning towards Apple for the sole reason of quality. If it was Hasbro's decision, I feel like they would have made more of an effort. The edit job is atrocious. I can't see a production company putting out such sub standard work willingly.

It has been a few days since the episode was put back on iTunes, I'm going to check on hub on demand again to see if it is changed there, which is directly controlled by Hasbro as partial owners. If it isn't changed there of all places why would we assume it was their decision? It doesn't make sense that they would leave the unaltered version on their network on demand and have an altered version for sale on iTunes.

We don't really understand how episode distribution is set up for Hub//iTunes (though if Hearts and Hooves was any indication, iTunes is probably the more hamfisted of the two companies). Applying speculation to this issue instead of facts isn't going to get us any closer to a real answer.

Well let me put it this way. I don't believe one second that iTunes would edit an episode of a TV show like this. I know it's popular to hate on Apple for all kinds of reasons, but this is ridiculous. They would have just left the episode removed if they were concerned about their image.

• Like 1