[Hoofington] A Book for Anypony [Open]

Neoniie

The purple mare was interested to find a possible friend in this stallion. He seemed fairly quiet by comparison to other ponies, though with her somewhat forced silence, Wrong Note wasn't exactly one to compare on terms of talking versus quiet. Regardless, he seemed less peturbed by her odd condition than any other pony she had met, perhaps due to some form of sympathy or understanding on his part. She had never been a master of reading the motives and emotions of other ponies, which was likely part of the problem that had led to her self-imposed exile to a more simple life. At any rate, her musings on the subject were only of secondary importance; he had offered his company in the future and the mare was not about to turn down his offer. Mentally noting the location he had given to Quillsilver, the mare trotted toward the table, bringing the bags of books she had purchased aong with her.

Rather than answer with some likely horrendous lyrics, Wrong Note merely withdrew a small pouch that held the bits she had earned through her fishing-based business and gave a nod toward the shopkeeper. She was satisfied with her choices so far, guessing that she would certainly have enough books to keep her occupied for quite a while. Her first foray into the reading world was a fairly large one, but she spent very little on frivolities anyway, ensuring that she would have enough for a larger purchase of such items later. It seemed that now was that 'later', as she had selected quite a few books. She briefly wondered exactly how she would transport all these books back to her home, but settled on focusing her attention on Quillsilver and awaiting whatever price the unicorn would give her.

[Just remembered that Hookline exited, my bad!] :?:

The mare behind the counter adjusted her glasses before looking over the books laid out on the counter, mentally adding together their prices before returning each one to the bags she had given Wrong Note. Once that was taken care of, she inspected the pouch of bits, counting down in her head from the price of the books she had just totalled. Considering that she was having quite a bit more business than she had expected already, she stopped counting a couple bits short, and returned the pouch across the counter, smiling. With the amount of sales she had just gotten between Wrong Note and Hookline, Quillsilver was definitely willing to be a little generous, not to mention she hoped the two would return.

"Thank you very much, miss Wrong Note, I hope you enjoy your books. Have yourself a great day!" Quillsilver recited from across her desk before sitting back down and pulling out her papers she'd been writing on.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong Note watched with only half-interest as Quillsilver counted the correct amount of bits for her purchase. The mare found herself quite excited to begin her forays into reading and was nearly bouncing with exuberance. She felt like a foal again, discovering something new and interesting. However, now it was just the common joy of the written word, rather than knowledge of some new fashion event or concert. She decided that she much preferred this excitement now, since it wasn't underlain with competition and the instinct to preserve a reputation. This was just about enjoying oneself and that's exactly what the purple mare supposed she would like about reading.

When the pouch of bits was returned, Wrong Note smiled at the earth pony and tucked it away again. Rather than answering, she nodded and widened her grin, silently wishing the same to the shopkeeper. Taking her books in tow, she trotted out of the shop. Hopefully, no pony had passed by the shop in her absence and she'd be able to sink her teeth into this latest discovery. With new relations amongst the ponies of Hoofington and a new-found interest, she figured that the day hadn't been all that bad so far. Maybe she could handle this "being normal" thing after all.

(I thought I might as well join in, so, yay!)

Balance Scales had yet another successful day in court. He was skipping along happily towards his office, to finish off a few papers that he needed. He decided to take a new route, maybe see more of Hoofington that he hadn't seen that often. As he was skipping along his new path, he saw an interesting looking book store.

Oh! I haven't read anything for a while, other than those law books. We should get something!

Sure. Just don't take too long, there's suppose to be a storm later.

He opened the door to the bookstore as a bell rang. He looked around the store, seeing the different sections, wondering where to go first, as he saw a gray earth pony behind a counter. He assumed it was the store owner.

"Hi!" Balance said, giving her a cheery smile.

Having just gotten back to her writing a few minutes prior, Quillsilver was caught completely off guard when the bell to her store rang yet again, and another customer walked in. Although it was frustrating to have her personal work almost-constantly interrupted, she couldn't help but be excited at the prospect of her store finally taking off like it seemed to be today. Three customers in one day was simply astounding, considering that she hadn't had that many during all of last week, and one of them hadn't even bought anything. If this rate of growth kept up, she might even be able to afford hiring on an extra hoof or two to keep things running smoothly, even when she woke up late. She knew that would still be a long way off, but it was nice to have a little dream to work toward; hiring somepony or some ponies to run her shop so she could spend all day writing.

So, she shoved aside her stack of papers once again, a smile on her face from the prospect of business finally picking up, and actually looked at her latest customer. She didn't recognize him, of course, but she still felt the need to examine him thoroughly if he was going to be around her precious books for any period of time. While she wasn't able to deduce much from the dark blue unicorn's physical traits, his cutie mark was one that intrigued her, as it could stand for quite a few different things. Disregarding what it could possibly be that he actually did, she smiled at him, adjusted her glasses on her face, and greeted him "Hello! Is there something I can help you find today, sir?"

Huh. What are we looking for?

I don't know, I kinda' just wanted to look around.

We can't just not answer now though.

Well, we've read nothing but law books recently. Maybe we should get something....

"I was hoping to get some action-adventure type of books. I was hoping to escape from Hoofington tonight, and do something exciting." Balance responded to Quillsilver. Balance got a good view of her cutie mark, and assumed she was a writer.

"Or perhaps I could check out some of your books." He then gave a charming smile.

Quillsilver returned his smile, more out of the irony of his question than feeling genuinely happy that a customer was flirting with her. A customer she hadn't even exchanged names with, nonetheless; she would have expected this behaviour more from Hookline than from whoever this pony was. Even though she was overcome with the temptation to send him away, he was indeed here to look for books, and she couldn't afford to let a sale slip away because she was a little uncomfortable with the direction of his conversation. So instead, she simply responded, "I'm not a published author, so I'm sorry, but I have no books of my own for you to check out. And in case you couldn't tell the difference, my flank is not a book.

With that hopefully taken care of, Quillsilver stood up from the chair behind her desk and stepped over into the aisles of bookshelves once again. On her way over, she informed her newest customer, "I'll show you to the action and adventure sections, they're both over this way, and they're both pretty big." Adventure books had been among her favorites as a filly, and since action generally went along with adventure, she had gotten quite the collection of titles. She even had some more obscure pieces, but those were kept in the displays cases in the front of the shop, in the hopes they might catch the eye of a collector that wanted one in good condition.

Why would you hit on her?

I didn't mean to hit on her, I was just trying to support her.

Well, she doesn't exactly look comfortable now. Great job. And nice guess on her job.

Well, it was still a good guess. I mean, was I suppose to assume she was a dilligent note taker? Besides, she said she isn't a PUBLISHED author, that tells us that she's writing.

Just get a book and leave.

After settling his dispute with himself, Balance followed Quillsilver to the Action/Adventure section. He was excited to see so many good looking books in one area. He ran around, naming out all of the books that looked interesting. “The Starving Games, King of the Rings, The Peryton, Daring Doo and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone, Lightning Pegasus.... So many choices!” He then gave a large grin. He was quickly going through which book would be best, both depending on prices and description of the book. He eventually decided on one. “Well, I think I have to try out the Potter and the Philosopony's Stone. If this story is as good as it says, I'll be coming back soon for the rest in the series.” He then skipped along happily to the cash register, waiting for Quillsilver to return.

Quillsilver stood back and watched as her customer excitedly scanned the shelves, naming off books, assuming that he was interested in the titles. Of course, she recognized all of them as being some of the more popular books from her school, ones that almost everypony should have at least heard of at some point. She was ready to offer her own opinions on all of the works that piqued his interest, but before she could even start with making recommendations, he picked on all on his own; the first of a seven part series. She gave him a broad smile, knowing that his choice was a good one and that if he really did like these kinds of books, he'd be back to buy the other six.

As the mare returned to her desk to take his payment for the book, she thought about her manuscript that she'd hastily shoved aside and was still visible on her desk. If he was interested in action and adventure... Quillsilver hadn't offered to let anypony touch her manuscript, let alone read and critique it...

"If you'd like, I've got a story manuscript here," she started, patting the stack of papers with a hoof. "It's an action/adventure story that I've been working on in my free time; it's nowhere near being finished, but I could make a copy of it for you to take home. Or you could even read here, if you'd feel more comfortable in a library kind of setting; I don't very often get customers, so it'd be nice and quiet for you, and there's plenty of places to sit."

“I'd love to read your manuscript! And I suppose I'll stay here and read, I have nothing better to do.” Balance responded. He looked to the book for the price, which he found on the inside of the front cover. He brought out a random number of bits from his front pocket, and started counting. “2, 4, 6.... Oh, just take 'em and keep the change.” He then pushed the pile of bits towards Quillsilver. Let's not miss this business opportunity. “Oh, and if you ever need any help with anything.....” He then levitated a business card out of his pocket, and put it with the bits. “You can stop by my office.” The card read:

Ace Attorney: Balance Scales

Hoofington's #2 Prosecutor

A fair price for a fair trial

427 Flatfish Lane

“Thank you.” Balance said, picking up his book, and the stack of papers. “I don't need a bag. Yet.” Balance walked away from the desk, and sat down on a pillow, and started reading through Quillsilver's manuscript.

Not generally being one to argue with her customers, even Quillsilver had to hold back when the pile of bits was pushed toward her; she knew it was a lot more than what that book actually cost. She opened her mouth to protest, but instead turned it into a smile and pulled all those bits across the counter and deposited them with the rest of hers. Next, she read the business card he had placed on top of the bits, curious to see what sort of help was being offered to her, short of his verbal 'anything'. While she doubted she would ever need legal help in her line of business, Flatfish Lane wasn't very far from here, and she was almost certain he wouldn't mind visits of less than a professional nature, so she put the card away in her desk.

As Balance walked away from her desk, Quillsilver called after him "Thank you very much, Mr. Balance Scales. If there's anything you need while you're here, just ask me; I'll be sitting here at my desk." Faced with, yet again, no customers to serve, the grey mare pulled out another stack of paper, this one considerably smaller than her manuscript, and began writing. The course of a normal day never brought her enough transactions to need to write down her sales records while the store was open, but today was far from normal. She would at least need to write down the books she'd sold to Wrong Note, or she'd definitely risk forgetting and then, later, getting upset over losing one of her precious books.

• 1 month later...

Cottoncandy pored over several heavy books. "The Art of Candy Making" She smiled at the title thinking about that fateful day when she got her cutie mark.

*Flashback*

Ding! Ding

The door bell rang as Cotton Candy nudged the worn wood door open. "Lollie I'm here!" She called down the hallway that led to the quaint, cluttered kitchen. The baby blue apron was surrounded by the sparkly crimson glow of Cotty's unicorn magic. She hummed the tune to a song as she tied the apron on with horn.

*Flashback ends*

Cotton Candy reeled as her mind snapped back to the present. When had she talked to Lollie been? She was the reason she had even moved to Hoofington.

*Flashback*

"Go. Make a life for yourself."

"But where do I go?"

"somewhere new. Someplace you haven't been."

"I can't leave you and the shoppe! How will I be able to survive? I have no money, and I know no one outside of Canterlot and Ponyville"

"Exactly."

*Flashback ends*

Cotton Candy looked down at the small leather satchel that Lollie had given her that same day. At the time it had money in it and a recipe book. Now it held ingredients for the cotton candy she was planning on making when she got home.

Balance decided to read through Silver's manuscript first, and perhaps stay to read The Potter and the Philosiponies Stone. He was instantly trapped in Silver's story, reading every word carefully, and getting excited during the good parts. He was disappointed when he realized that she hadn't finished the next part, still wanting to continue reading through it. We should give this back for now then.

Right... But we're coming back for the rest of it.

Balance walked up to the counter, where he realized a new pony had entered. He must have been too interested in the book to hear the bell ring. He decided to return the manuscript before introducing himself to the new pony. "Thank you for the excellent read, Ms. Silver. I can't really think of anything to improve this... Except by finishing it, of course. I will definitely be returning once it's updated." He gave her a quick bow, and turned to the new pony.

"Hello there miss! I am Balance Scales." He saw the book she was buying. "The Art of Candy Making. So, you're a candy maker, eh? Tell me, is there a place where I can, perhaps, try some of your sweets?" He gave his charming grin again.

Are you really hitting on her?

No, I just like my grin. And when ponies are left speechless because of it.

... That happened once...

And I'd like to have it happen again!

Cotton Candy looked up at the new pony. She smiled at him wondering who he was. "Well I don't have a shop... yet that is. I do have a stand though and I make all the candy at home. My name is Cotton Candy by the way." she said offering out a hoof for a shake. She closed the book and picked up her satchel "I best be on my way. If you want you can come back to my cottage to have some candy I made this morning." she offered and she paid for the book.

Quillsilver was a little startled when Balance approached her, and even more so to discover that somepony else was in her shop; she had been so caught up with her work that she hadn't even heard the bell ring. Since her new customer seemed to have already found what she was looking for without help, she turned her attention to the lawyer, smiling at his compliment. Even though she had hoped for some constructive criticism to help improve her work, she was glad that somepony was even interested in reading what she had, not to mention reading even more than what she had. She took the manuscript back and informed him "I write whenever I get a chance, and the store is usually pretty quiet, so I'll have at least a couple more pages done by tomorrow."

With her manuscript back in hoof, she turned her smile on Cotton Candy, who had come up to purchase the book she had chosen, The Art of Candy Making. The creation of candy was an interesting process, though Quillsilver couldn't remember much of it because she had only read the book once, long ago. Still, she knew that it was a great book for any candy maker, especially one that was just starting out, which was what she inferred from the young mare's comment about not owning a full-fledged shop yet. As had become the usual with her customers on this busy day, the grey mare knocked off a couple bits from the price of the book without saying anything. She just kept smiling and recited "Thank you for your purchase, miss; I hope to see you again soon!"

He took Cotton's hoof, and gave her a weak hoofshake. "Sure! Why not?" Balance accepted Cotton's offer to try her cotton candy. He turned to Quillsilver. "I shall see you tomorrow then. Have a good day!" Balance made sure he had his book, and turned back to Cotton. "So, which way should we go?"

Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about cotton candy!

Something we agree on; it's been about 3 days since our last sugary treat.

3 whole days?!

Balance's stomach growled at his thoughts. He snapped back to reality, remembering that he was staring off into space, and wasn't sure if he missed the answer. He waited another few moments, in case he didn't hear the answer.

Cotton Candy smiled and thanked Quillsilver. She gestured for Balance to follow her out of the shop.

"My cottage is on the edge of Hoofington so we do have a ways to go. I won't be offended if you change your mind." she told him trying her best to make casual conversation.

Nopony has ever just come with me to eat my cotton candy... maybe he is someone special.

She shivered at a bitter gust of wind only she could feel.

*Flashback*

"Cotton Candy! WHAT IS THIS!?" Said the prim mother.

"My cutie mark mommy! Don't you like it?" The little filly's eyes stared into the mom's angry ones hoping she would be happy.

"It's a monstrosity!"

"What do you mean mama?" The little filly's lower lip quivered as she realized what her mother was saying.

"Candy? Who in all of Canterlot would want something as low as candy?" She scolded, bringing the filly close to tears."

*Flashback Ends*

Cottoncandy shed a small tear but wiped it away quickly, shaking the memory away.

"I don't mind. I could use the walk." Balance responded, giving a calm smile. We have lot's of paperwork, you know.

Screw that, I'll stay up late tonight, like I was going to anyways. Balance noticed her wiping away a tear from her eye. Should we ask?

She probably just yawned. Our eyes tear up every time we yawn.

Good point.

"See ya' later, Quillsilver!" He yelled as he walked out the door. He turned to Cotton Candy. "Okay, so which way do we go?"

"We have to go through town towards the beach." Cotton Candy replied shakily. She was hoping Balance hadn't noticed the tear. She levitated the satchel and began to walk.

Nice pony.

She wished she lived closer and in a nicer house because she suddenly really wanted to impress Balance. It was like an itch she couldn't scratch.

"The beach? You live near the beach? That must be awesome!" Balance exclaimed with a grin. "I always wanted a place near the beach, but the rent there is a tad too high for me, so I just live in the center of town. Actually, not too far from here, but my place is another story, right now we're talking about your place. Wait, am I talking out loud? Should I be thinking these things?" You should definitely be thinking those last few things.

Balance walked with Cotton to her place, having a few good laughs, going into conversations about their life. "So, that's how I got my cutie mark! What about you?" He ran into a poll as he said that. "Ouch. Are we here then?" He saw a nice small house, perfect for a pony living alone. "Is that your place then? Looks awesome!"

Cotton Candy hadn't really listened to Balance's whole spiel on his cutie mark because she had been busy mulling over the earlier conversation that he had had... With himself. She trotted along as he babbled and when she started to smell the ocean she began paying attention again. "Erm... no that's not my place. Too fancy for a poor pony like me." She replied to Balance in a little bit of a saddened tone but perked back up hoping he, like the tear, hadn't noticed. She continued down the beach street they were on and stopped in front of a little red beachside cottage. "well, here it is!" She pointed with her horn and tried to be as enthusiastic as she could. "Let me just unlock the door." She said plunging her horn into the keyhole. The door swung upon easily and she stepped inside.