How did you become a Brony?

BRONYBUSCUS

Back in....oh I think it was 2010 maybe 11....SD Comic Con, I along with some "aquatints" where walking about the exhibit hall when one of them pointed out some guys at the Hasbro booth with MLP posters. We had a little chuckle and questioned why.

A few days after, while I was on the computer, I was watching Collage Humor videos and I stumbled upon a spoof of Pinkie Pie asking Fluttershy or at that time "Flutterguy" to sing her song out side Zecora's. So after seeing that, I decided to go see two episodes that the Hubs web sight played.

After watching the two, I decided to give the series a chance and the rest, well falls along with every one else.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I wasn't alive at the start of G1, but I do rather like it. It was the first MLP I'd ever watched, it was quite sometime before FiM had come out, maybe when I was around five years of age or so. Anyway, that's what got me hooked. :) I have a few toys back when it was called My Pretty Pony that I would play with and was always eager to watch it.

It would be a while before I joined a forum or started referring to myself as a Barony though. I'd started watching FiM from the get-go, but wasn't familiar with the sub culture that was slowly starting to form. Ironically, Canterlot was the first forum I joined :kissy:

• 3 weeks later...

I became a brony because of several events over my life time it started when I was at my house and I found very funny videos about ponies. It was not till I was working in a scout camp that it became a thing for me when my friends showed me Futtershy that was my weakness a creature of purity and innocents. but I held back this until I found this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-d42Nq_tNI&feature=plcp

That was the pushing point for me. That is how I became a brony

LONG LIVE THE MARE LAND AND STALLION LAND.

BRONIES OF THE WORLD UNITE

• 2 months later...

[colour=#282828]Here is the full story of how I became a brony:[/colour]

[colour=#282828]It all started on Thanksgiving 2012 or about one month ago. I was at my aunt and one of my cousins started talking about my little pony and I just sat there listening not saying anything. Then about a week later one of my friends posted a video about bronies [/colour]

[colour=#282828]and I watched it and though this is interesting why are boy al the way up to full grown men watching my little pony a show that the designated demographic is pre-teen girls. So I decided I would give it a chance so I looked up the listing on my TV but I didn't have the hub, so I went to google on my phone and googled "watch my little pony friendship is magic free online" and got a site that had the magic duel, and one bad seed episodes. So I watched those to and wanted to see mor so i tried YouTube and found all the episodes and started watching the episodes from Season 1 Episode 1 and I couldn't stop watching. At this point some of you are like you are a brony at this point, but I kept telling myself that you aren't a brony you are just still trying to find out why people like this then I saw winter Wrap Up [/colour]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UO8p_MFGHjU[colour=#282828] and then I knew I was a brony because the song totally blew me away I had never thought to findd a song so well made in a modern cartoon especially since most of todays shows, in my opinion suck. and from then on I knew I was a brony.[/colour]

I was looking for memes on dA when I stumbled on a MLP Meme someone did. I thought it be about G1 ponies and stuff and surprised, I discovered that it was about a new MLP show so I checked it out and here I am. Not gonna lie, the first two episode made me cringe a bit lol

I was browsing the forums on Gaiaonline when I spotted a pony in someone's signature. A little while later, I saw more an more ponies popping up over the web. I did some research, and found out the name of the show. I went to YouTube, and well, it's pretty obvious where that led me.

Story on how I became a brony/pegasister!

Now sit tight little youngsters! This might be a little long....

When I was little, I didn't like MLP at all. Didn't mind it, all I liked was Care Bears. Last year (two years ago???), I remember walking into McDonald's and seeing the first line of MLP:FiM Kids' Meal Toys. I was like so shocked to see them in this form like they didn't look like a realistic horse. My favorite was the one with "rainbow coloured" hair (*cough!* Rainbow Dash!) even though it had colours of orange, purple and yellow. :roll: Last year, I saw some people on a forum (not Canterlot) with pony avatars. I was wondering why does everyone like MLP? During spring break I had the time to watch MLP:FiM so I watched the first episode and I was like, OMG the plot and intensity! It actually taught me friendship like never before.

Yeah, there we go.

It all started a normal day at school. I was happy, and everyone else seemed to be.

My friend came in, and put a parody of the My Little pony theme song on, named; My Little Kony. Which was the same, but with twilights head as Kony. So I wondered there, about what the actual show was like. And I searched for My Little Pony, and season 2 episode 21 came up, and I watched it. Laughing, not to seem gay. And when I got home, I turned on my computer. And after 3 days, both seasons were watched, and I had drawn all the characters (lol). And I had about 220 mb pictures of ponies...

So that's how I became a brony. ^^ Hope you enjoyed the little story. :oops:

Fluttershy is best BTW! ^3^

Way back in early 2011 or so, I looked up the first few episodes to see what all the fuss was about. While I had to admit it was a rather well-made cartoon, I wasn't really hooked. Then a couple months later, there was a big MLP thread started on another forum I was hanging out on. Where the posters convinced me to give it another try. Which I did.

And then I got to Winter Wrap-up. The end.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys i'm new to forums but i started watching last year when my best friend who is now my boyfriend got me to watch it at first i thought he was crazy but i would do anything for him so i watched the broy thing on youtube and then fim and i loved it right away and that is how i became a broy (really i'm a pegasister but i am more like a broy since all my friends are guys)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whilst exploring the depths of YouTube, I found my very first pony YTPMV. "Rainbow Dash objects".

Weird as YouTube was, I disregarded the use of ponies as yet another fad, and moved on.

Eventually one of my best friends on the Ace Attorney roleplaying forums, Case Files, began going around with pony avatars obsessing over anything MLP. I tried the Sisterhooves Social episode... and I wasn't impressed.

Finally, after discovering a "Pursuit ~ Cornered 2001" ponification called "Investigation ~ Pony", which inevitably led me to Turnabout Storm, which I LOVED.

What sealed the deal, though, was on my little brother's birthday. My uncle had come over to visit, and I told him I may be becoming a brony. He gave me a surprise hoofbump, and showed me that all episodes can be found on YouTube. And from there, I was officially converted.

(Note: I actually love Sisterhooves Social now, by the way~)

It was a dark and gloomy night

Ah, distinctly I remember

One day at the sweltering heats of June, I sat at my computer seat, eyes glued to the screen, myself stuck in another world. I was naive and ignorant at that time- I agreed on what everyone else agreed on; in my school, nonconformity was key. I never was able to fit in despite my attempts, being the "weird" one in my old junior high. You couldn't believe have relieved I was to get out of that mess and do whatever I wanted for the summer.

Then, somehow, dozing off in the forums that scattered across the synthetic land of the "Internet", I found something unexpected. Something that would in fact alter my life as I know it.

It was a pony thread. Normally, as the person I was, I would've ignored the thing completely. Pony fans were nothing new of the sort. I very much didn't care for their unusual likings. It was the thing that was even stranger that I was. But then, I had an impulse to see what was behind all this pony talk.

I soon became inclined to watch the show myself. I was the main subject of my self-proclaimed experiment. I watched that short 22 minutes.

And then, I watched another. And another. I continued to watch the show for hours, nonstop. I had to admit it afterwards- I have become one with the community.

I was at first nervous about this, hiding in my stuffy closet just to continue my progress of watching previous episode of MLP. But then, there came a time where I had to stop hiding, and had to disclose my liking. Even though they don't watch the show, they thought it was fine to like a "girls show". They were only worried that most people won't approve my show liking, however.

I thought I was the only few who watched the show. When I moved the US later, I found out how wrong that surmise was. There were hundreds of thousands of bronies out there, maybe even millions.

Overall, the show had changed on how I saw everything. It proved that not all shows like MLP was pure "girly". In fact, it defied that stereotype. It showed how even the traits of a good show could do.

I was in the dark all this time.

(Meant to be a story/explanation.)

The first I had heard about it was from a friend of mine who said that despite the fact it was made for girls, it was amazingly good. I was skeptical, but then I noticed a lot of people in the forums and sites I visit were constantly quoting and posting pics of the show in streadily greater frequency. Then when I gave the style a try as a parody pic, Brian Blackberry told me to give the show itself a shot, then Bramble Rose followed up on that recommendation.

I finally decided to look up some episodes on YouTube. Watched the first two episodes, there were okay. Checked out a few more, getting better, liking the art style, admiring the characters... Kept watching... Next thing I know I've seen the entire first season twice XD Yeah, I started seeking out other bronies from that point.

• 4 weeks later...

long long ago during my sophomore year in high school i was in a card club that played yu-gi-ho in the library, im still in the club... well actually i basically run it, but any way the guy who is top dog mentions he likes My Little Pony. I started to question him about it but all he says is watch it, which i never did thinking im to much of a man to watch it. A year latte i'm in my junior year and am in my minecraft phase heading into the creepy pasty phase because I watched SkyDoesMinecraft modshowcases. Its when i watch his creepy pasty mod do I get curious about the things that go bump in the night. One month after reading a bunch of pastas when i stumbled upon this one...

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/My_Little_Pony_Theory

Whoa that doesn't sound like a little girl show what so ever. I decided to watch it then it said to be continued so i watched the next episode then the next one then the next one then the next season and so on and so forth. and that is how i became a brony

That is just.... creepy. O.o

Of course it's creepypasta but like, whut?

I don't want to state the obvious, but of course the creepypasta's "story" is fake. Fluttershy came from Faust's childhood experience, for example.

But nonetheless, the story was great. It seemed realistic enough, until you actually consider that the Mane 6 came from something much different. Got a bit creeped out, however.

And ALL THAT FEELS. IT'S TOO MUCH.

I remember I heard about the show for a while but didn't pay it much attention. I don't remember where I read it but someone compared and called it the new Looney Tunes. I loved Looney Tunes growing up so I had to give it a watch after that. While its not completely like looney tunes I'm still glad I watched it and have been a fan ever since.

To be honest I first started out hating the show. Last year, sometime in January me and my dad were watching the weeknight line up on the Hub, you know like, Happy Days, Alf, etc. There popped up this commercial about a hand-to-hand combat between Optimus Prime and Pinkie Pie and who'd likely win. I was initially livid. Being the classic male, I turned to my dad and said, Pinkie Pie is evil! (translated from what I really said which is not really kid friendly) :-| .

Now flash forward three months during my last semester in college. Some colleagues of mine on the College Yearbook staff were gabbing about just some innocent harmless stuff. This one girl, not particularly what you'd call a wiz kid was being so scatter-brained and clueless that I called her a Pinkie Pie without knowing who or even what it/she was. Whether "scatter-brain" took it as a compliment or not I'll never know, (We later became friends and now happily submits to being called Pinkie Pie). From then on my interest in hating the show took off.

That same day I got home, I did a quick google search for anything Pinkie Pie related and cringed... not in that context.. :roll: As a kid, I was fascinated by the colour pink. To me, it was just this delicious colour that would one day end up topping an ice-cream cone. Having matured a bit it was that "word that must not be said in public" kinda thing. You can imagine then how fast I shut the browser down upon seeing 'said' abomination on the screen.

Sometime afterwards, the hating reached a new height when I decided one morning to see if the show was on. To my dismay/delight it was and I wasted no time in being vocal about my disapproval. I think the episode was "Call of the Cutie" and that I remember making a crude comment about Applebloom I will not say here. I was so wrapped up in myself I didn't even get a chance to really pay attention to what was going on in the episode.

And yet sometime that week came the biggest shock. While working on some stuff for the Yearbook staff I found out from a fellow brony who had since converted that there were actually college-aged men who watched the show and... liked it! :scream:

Ladies and Gentlemen! Death never looked so appeasing!

I was initially confused, then disgusted, then finally declaring the end of the world! And this coming from someone who had never even heard of fandoms, or trekkies, or even so much as a furry...

From then on I made it my mission to abscond and defame the show as long as it was still on the air... funny thing was, being a total hypocrite, I had never seen a single episode and had 4chan be around I wouldn't of failed to express my hate on there.

It was "Baby Cakes" that began the process of conversion. Having finally decided to sit down and shut up, it took me a painful 22 minutes before I realized that Pinkie Pie crying was enough to draw me in. By the tenth episode, something clicked. I was ashamed at some of the things I had said about the show in the beginning. Gradually I warmed up to the opening theme of the show, but it was the characters that really installed my faith in the series... they weren't stereotypically girly but.... ponies dealing with real situations in life!

Two and a half weeks before graduation, I bought my first MLP merchandise... the 2011 McDonald's toys on Ebay. One week before graduation and I had converted the entire Yearbook staff into watching the show. Two weeks after graduation, I bought my first MLP shirt... it was that good! By late June I was following Tara Strong on Twitter and by July I was a committed brony watching the show on a regular basis.

But the day that will live for all eternity was November 4. Place; Equestria LA, my first brony convention. To the point, meeting Twilight Sparkle in human form was like dying and going to heaven, for lack of a better term. But it was seeing the dedication of the fanbase that opened my eyes, making me realize that innocence is not so much being blameless of doing wrong as it is in having the ability to look past one's own prejudice that in itself may be harmful.

Before this post grows any longer, I will conclude with this; "The best thing we can learn about ourselves is our ability to test boundaries we would of never thought of testing."

Keeping that in mind! I leave you with a solid Brohoof! :)

Archived