[Tier 3] Mr. Waddle (Final)

Mojo

640px-Mr._Waddle_%27Aw%2C_shucks%27_S2E18.png

201px-This_One%27s_Too_Old_2_S2E17.png

(ooc): Ok, I think it's time SOMEONE apped for this guy! I already have some older ponies (Granny Smith, Prof. Krashkop, Uncle Apple Strudel) so it looks like I can handle senior citizen ponies.

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Name: Mr. Waddle / Rev. Waddle

Sex: Male

Species: Earth pony

Eye Color: Blue

Coat Color: gray

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Balding mane and tail

Physique: stout for an older pony

Cutie Mark: bubble pipe

Origin/Residence: Ponyville (lives in a small cottage outside of town)

Motivation: “Spend my remaining years enjoying life and working to better all Ponykind”

Likes: Prunes, visiting the Ponyville Senior Center, reading, bubble pipes

Dislikes: Stairs, collasping balconies, food that’s hard to chew with dentures

Character Summary: Waddle was born to a humble farming family outside of Ponyville. Though he loved working the farm with his parents, brothers and sisters, Waddle always felt he had a greater destiny calling him. Even as a foal, he truly enjoyed helping others, be it his siblings, his classmates in school, even adult ponies who needed a helping hoof. His kind, generous and gentle nature earned him many friends and a measure of respect from adult ponies he’d encounter. One day, his cutie mark appeared on his flank: a bubble pipe. At first, he was puzzled by this but later came to understand that the mark was really a representation of his own 'bubbly' personally, a carefree and mellow nature with a fun outlook on life. For much of his adult life, Mr. Waddle was a travelling parson. During his travels, he met the love of his life Daisy Hay, a pretty young unicorn whom became his wife. After he retired, the two settled down in a quiet cottage outside of Ponyville to spend their remaining days together. Sadly, Daisy Hay passed away, leaving Mr. Waddle a widower. To this day, ponyfolk still refer to him as Mr. Waddle out of respect for Daisy. He still misses Daisy in his later years, but life goes on and he made the best of his situation. Periodically called upon to officiate funerals, Mr. Waddle keeps himself busy with frequent trips to Ponyville and spending time as a volunteer at the Senior Center, the Library and the Old Pony’s Home in town. Though he is old, he manages to maintain a positive outlook on life and lives everyday to help mentor the younger ponies as well as lend a helping hoof, friendly advice or even a shoulder to cry on for those who need it.

Alright, another Tier 3! Also, you're entire Application is bold. Can you please not do that? :P

I was only using the application code template provided by this website, filling it in like I'm supposed to.

http://www.canterlot.com/topic/4144-read-me-first-%e2%80%94-application-form/

Ok, I'll fix it. Guess I need to remember that in the future.

:D:D:D:D:D

I was only using the application code template provided by this website, filling it in like I'm supposed to.

http://www.canterlot.com/topic/4144-read-me-first-%e2%80%94-application-form/

Ok, I'll fix it. Guess I need to remember that in the future.

Ya, it's best to paste that in the simple editor. It does some weird formatting I can't change. :/

Well for the cutie mark, instead of the bubble pipe literally being about him loving to blow bubbles (which he can still do of course), it could represent a carefree and mellow nature, a fun outlook on life. That could very well be part of his philosophy. So the cutie mark isn't a literal symbol of what he loves, but a figurative representation of his special talent of his kind hearted, mellow take on how life should be lived. This can also serve as his philosophy that he can teach in lieu of a particular religion (we strive to avoid any sort of established organized religions in the world of Equestria for obvious reasons). He could have been a great philosopher and teacher of his particular brand of philosophy (revered enough to be asked to do eulogize funerals to this day).

I hear you, brian, but the fact he wore a priest collar while presiding over a funeral cannot be ignored. No mere 'philosopher' would wear a collar like that. This was one of the reasons I initially debated whether or not to app for this character. In my app, I tried to make his 'denomination' as generic as possible, but if this won't satisfy the mods here, then it's probably best that I withdraw this app altogether.

Mr. Waddle is a tricky pony to app for. I had to find a way to justify both his apparent 'occupation' as well as the fact that he was called "Mr. Waddle" by Pinkie Pie while being inferred to be single by Sweetie Belle's 'Perfect Stallion' song. Maybe this cast character is simply 'unplayable' in the Canterlot.com format.

I'll have to think about this. I may either change this app to WIP or request it's deletion. The LAST thing we need at Canterlot.com is controversy. The 'bubble pipe' thing is minor compared to the other concerns that's been brought up. Need to think about whether this char's worth pursuing or not.

I hear you, brian, but the fact he wore a priest collar while presiding over a funeral cannot be ignored. No mere 'philosopher' would wear a collar like that. This was one of the reasons I initially debated whether or not to app for this character. In my app, I tried to make his 'denomination' as generic as possible, but if this won't satisfy the mods here, then it's probably best that I withdraw this app altogether.

Mr. Waddle is a tricky pony to app for. I had to find a way to justify both his apparent 'occupation' as well as the fact that he was called "Mr. Waddle" by Pinkie Pie while being inferred to be single by Sweetie Belle's 'Perfect Stallion' song. Maybe this cast character is simply 'unplayable' in the Canterlot.com format.

I'll have to think about this. I may either change this app to WIP or request it's deletion. The LAST thing we need at Canterlot.com is controversy. The 'bubble pipe' thing is minor compared to the other concerns that's been brought up. Need to think about whether this char's worth pursuing or not.

I absolutely understand what you are trying to do and its appreciated. I don't think the concepts you have are unworkable at all, I was simply suggesting an alternative. We just need to make it even more generic than denomination (which still implicitly states Christianity exists). It is possible though to play this character as you have him because he is retired and thus is no longer active in his religious duties at all. Thus a playable character if you focus on the non-religious specific aspects of his character (his kindness, his willingness to mentor, his humor) and downplay and/or refer to his past in the clergy in a vague sense (what I mean by that is no mentioning of a specific denomination, no detailing out of specific theological beliefs). This way it could work. I will see if the mods/admins feel that is an acceptable compromise.

Again, I appreciate what you are doing with him. We just have to tread carefully. You can understand why we normally avoid religion in the RP, it is a powder keg when it comes to people and has the potential to derail a great deal.

Alright Brian, I edited the bio, making his 'former occupation' even MORE generic as well as changing his cutie mark story as you suggested.

It was never my intention to make Mr. Waddle a 'religious icon' or anything like that. All I was trying to do is remain true to the character of Mr. Waddle as presented in the cartoon. I do understand fully that religion is a taboo subject on Canterlot.com. I have no problem with your proposed compromise.

:D:D:D:D