Is derpy the evolution of grr?

synkyd

Ive been thinking about this idea for awile now. and what i mean is derpy now the face of cute dumbness (or in derpy's case, clumsiness?)first, a history lesson for the people who havent heard about gir

gir was a crazy robot seen on Invador ZIm. He was a faulty robot given to zim to assest his "job" of collecting information on the denzens of earth. he became obsessed with the mexican entree, tacos, and was proven to be absoltlty filthy (as in germs). Somehow, the writers of the show managed to make everything he said downright hilarous.also, the charater himself was addorable little thing, with a head like a bell, and eyes emreld green. Im not aware how many people remeber gir, But several of his phrases are stilll stuck in my ( and hopefully more peoples) mind. From "I miss you cupcake!" To "But hes just a baby. HI BABY!", i still fondly rember gir. his fate was made by Nickelodeon, who pulled a Cartoon network, canceling the show.

now, back to the topic. Why do I beleve Derpy is the evolution of gir? 2 major traits seem to live within derp that match Girs personality. to be specfic, 2 traits

1 an obsession with a food item

as I said before, Gir as a obsessin of tacos, in a way no cartoon has every shown before. Excluding derpy, however. while it is a bit of a strech to say its canon, Derp's obsession can be described as a meme.

2nd:a unexpected fanbase

IMO, the creators of the show wernt expecting Gir's popularity. why? well, Try to place any pieces of his sayings in another charater from the previous era. Stupid, isnt it? Girs adorableness was meshed with his moronic tendances. But what about Derpy? We already know the story of derpy, But try to find a Brony who 100% hates derp. Genrealy, the largest hatred of the derp is 20%. How odd it was, for Hasbro, to have a backgrown charater to become an interfanial celebrity.

Concludion: Derpy is now the Gir of this genration. Just like Gir, everything shes says becomes extreamly popular.However, there is one major diffence between derp and gir. Gir was, absoultly and entirly, a idiot. Derpy, on the other hand, is just clumsy.those infernal soccer moms who said Derpy was representing a retard should be taught the old adage "If you have nothing nice to say, dont say it at all". finaly, id like to thank larran fost for FHFIF and MLP. thank you for reading, and feel free to comment

I think that derpy and GIR were appreciated by the same demographic, and keep in mind that Derpy was essentially created by the fans, which means it's quite possible that they had lingering thoughts of GIR or a GIR-like character in their minds.

As for the studio specifically making Derpy a reference to GIR, no. I dont think so.

I would have to say no.

Derpy was labeled derpy originally because of an animation error.

She was never meant to be any more than a replaceable background pony.

After that, she grew into a character of her own.

Yet, with GIR, he was idiotic, and was planned to be idiotic, from the beginning.

I believe his first lines were "Gir reporting for duty!" "Gir? What does the G stand for?" "I don't know."

just clumsy.those infernal soccer moms who said Derpy was representing a retard should be taught the old adage "If you have nothing nice to say, dont say it at all".

Stereotyping one group and insisting they were responsible for stereotyping another group makes your argument invalid. C'mon now, "infernal soccer moms?"

Also tacos.