New Lunar Republic? Solar Empire?

DustyCharm

New Lunar Republic or Solar Empire  

68 members have voted

1. 1. New Lunar Republic or Solar Empire what will you choose?

But why is it called NEW Luna Republic?

the new lunar republic is a faction that follows a set of ideals and is led by princess luna.

the difference is pretty much whole armies are fighting against each other.

It's the new lunar republic because it is a faction that had developed later.

Also lunar republic will prevail!!

his question emphasized the word new but the definition of a republic is

a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

the exact function of rule is usually different but it essentially means a government that gives more decision power to the common population.

I think that's right if you have any other Ideas of the reason for it's name I'm interested to hear.

I'd like to take a moment to completely over-analyze the question. This is intended to be silly and not taken seriously.

First of all, I want to say that I am going to be applying Earth logic to Equestria, which is not something that I'm sure should be done. So the second part of this post will contain my thoughts based purely on what I know of the show. tl;dr at the end of this post.

To begin, I would like to look at the idea of an Empire, versus that of a Republic. Immediately, what springs to mind is a negative feeling towards Empire, but a much more positive feeling towards Republic. For a broad example, look at Star Wars: The Galactic Republic (Old and New) is portrayed as the good guys, whereas the Galactic Empire (and most Empires in galactic history) is portrayed as evil. Now, however, let's step back and look at each one more closely...

According to Wikipedia, an Empire is a geographically extensive group of states and peoples united and ruled either by a monarch or an oligarchy. There are two main types of monarchy; absolute and constitutional (ie; what you see in the UK today). An oligarchy is similar to an absolute monarchy, only the power is held by a few, rather than one. To delve in a little deeper, Wikipedia states that an empire is a state with politico-millitary dominion of populations who are culturally and ethnically distinct from the imperial ethnic group and its culture. For the purposes of this analysis, I will consider the Solar Empire to be one ruled by an absolute monarchy, where Celestia is the sole pony in control of Equestria.

Next, we have a Republic. Wikipedia offers a very broad definition; a Republic is a form of government in which the state is considered a public matter... and where offices of states are subsequently directly or indirectly elected or appointed rather than inherited. One example of this is a Constitutional Republic, which is what you see in the USA today, and it is this type of government that I will choose to consider for the New Lunar Republic.

Immediately, the only positive option that springs to mind is the New Lunar Republic. As someone born and raised in the USA, I find the concept of living in an Empire (where all power is concentrated in the hands of a single person, or very few people) abhorrent, and I sincerely hope that I never have to. I much prefer a constitutional Republic, where the power ultimately comes from the people. (If you disagree, I mean no offense; this is just my opinion.) As such, there is only one logical choice for me to make, and that is the New Lunar Republic.

However, I am using Earth logic and applying it to Equestria, which we all know

. Now, I want to consider the question within the canon of the show. In the show, we see Celestia as a benevolent ruler who has everypony's best interests at heart. Some argue that her absence during the Nightmare Moon and Discord fiascos must mean that she is a less than ideal ruler.

I do not believe that to be true. My understanding was that the only way to defeat NM and Discord was with the Elements of Harmony. As we all know, Celestia and Luna are no longer tied to the elements; rather, the mane 6 are. As such, my understanding is that Celestia was powerless to help. Celestia did stand up to Chrysalis, but wound up being defeated because the power that Chrysalis had gained from Shining Armor's love for Cadance allowed her to best Celestia. From this, I believe that within the canon of the show, Celestia is a good ruler who ultimately works to protect and help her subjects as best as she can, but she is not an all powerful being.

Luna has shown that she can be corrupted and transformed into a horrible creature that threatened to disrupt the peace of Equestria. I would be less inclined to trust her as my ruler, when Celestia has done no such thing. And in the show, everypony seems to generally be pretty well off. It would seem that the current government in Equestria functions very well and does not oppress its subjects, and so my concerns about a ruling Empire are invalid. Therefore, within the canon of the show, I believe that the Solar Empire is the best choice, provided that means keeping the current system of government.

But then the show only presents certain moments of Equestrian history for us to see. We have no way of knowing what else happens behind the scenes. For all we know, the show is a bunch of propaganda from the Equestrian government to convince us that Celestia is a great ruler and that when Equestria and Earth become merged in the distant future, we will accept her rule without question and she can put into motion her evil plot to take over the world and declare herself supreme ruler of man and pony.

tl;dr:

Viva la revolution of the night! Glory be to the patron saint of stars, the monarch of the moon, the lord of the land of darkness, and the nightmare on the moon! Let there be an end to the tyranny of the sun!

Celestia is a decent princess, but in the end there can be only one. Praise Luna!

Well, maybe I took that a bit far, but my point stands.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I have to choose the Solar Empire. I mean, Luna is still speaking in Old English and knows little about modern society - how would she lead one? Besides, IRL, my country is actually dealing with Separatists, and it's kinda scary. I don't exactly want to condone to the thing that may ruin my country.

The Rise of the Moon

-By Valencetiger

A war is fought, between sisters of Fate

Each action defined by their burning hate

A once noble land torn from the seams

Can no pony hear our agonized screams?

One who was of the Moon and stars above

The other who was the Sun and the light we love

The die has been cast, be ready to sail

For the Shadow of the Moon will surely prevail.

One whose life was dark and tragic

The other whose life was bright and filled with magic

Which knows the hardship of evil betrayal?

Why, the Moon for which we lovingly portrayal.

So come, brothers and sisters, our time is nigh

To join the dark light that will take us high

For those of the Sun, your time is past

Remember that the Moon's die has been cast!

Glory to the New Lunar Republic! Show your forgiveness for our Princess of the Night! Join the true, just cause, and become one with the Moon! Hail! Princess Luna!

For those of you who believe that Princess Luna would not be a grand ruler...this is not so. History shows that suffering and hardship made the world's greatest leaders, and who cares if she isn't on-par with the rest of the modern world? If you ask me, we need some old fashioned ruling! The New Lunar Republic will be just like the Roman Republic! (Except for a Caesar-like pony tearing it down, of course). So, come and flock under the banner of her Majesty's Moon! We shall elect a new leader...a better leader...one who we can embrace and not fear! The rising of Queen Luna is here! Run, followers of the Tyrant Celestia! Run, and be burned by your beloved sun...

• Like 1