[Trottingham] Adventure!: New Towns, New Friends! [PM for Invite!]

AlisonRose

FiddlesticksPostBanner1.png

Trottingham, what a mysterious town this was. Fiddlesticks took her first steps into the town and was taken aback by how calm it seemed to be even so early in the morning, a smile on her face as she held her head high and trotted slowly and gracefully into the town. Not know where anything was in the city became a problem real quick when as soon as she entered within the town limits she was lost. Knowing only that she was to stay here for two weeks and play a concert on the weekends at some music hall she had never heard of she was a bit frustrated that the client forgot to give her a map. In a frantic whirl of motion she made sure that her violin case and her saddlebags were still attached to her as well as her silver bow tie that she wore trying to copy her sister even closer when it came to the more elegant side of their music lives. Finding that her equipment was right where she had left it she let out a large sigh and then returned to her elegant and thought out trot into the city. I do have some things I should mail while I am here, I wonder if the post office is open at this time of day. She thought to herself as she remembered that she needed to get the post cards sent out before the deadline or she wouldn't receive any fame for even playing in this event. She hoped very much so that she could meet a few ponies around the two who would help her better understand the city and help ease the fright that she has of a new town and no friends within it. But only time would tell, and time Fiddlesticks had plenty of at this point.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MistyMagic.png

At the Trottingham Post Office, Misty Magic was just finishing her shift. The Post Office was about to close, and she still has some mail left over to sort, Using her unicorn levitating magic, she completes the task quickly.

"There! All done!" the petite yellow unicorn mare said as she spotted Fiddlesticks entering the front door. She trots up to the front desk and smiles at the new arrival.

"Hello there! I'm Misty Magic, how may I help you today?"

Fiddlesticks stopped and stared a bit at the Unicorn who looked to be very efficient at her job. She then remembered that she in fact did have some things to get mailed and with a giggle she opened her saddlebag and produced three pieces of mail.

"Hello Misty Magic, I am Fiddlesticks. I am new in town and aside from getting these things mailed have nothing to do for a while and was wondering if there was anyway I could convince you to maybe take me on a tour so I can become more familiar with the town." Fiddlesticks spoke with her very confident and elegant voice, making sure to speak as slowly and clearly as was needed for the situation. She wanted to make sure that this pony had heard everything correctly and needed no clarification on any of the points. She opened her bit pouch and got out the bits to pay for the postage and set them down next to the items that were needed to be mailed. She brushed her mane with her hoof and then swished her tail a touch just to make sure there was no kinks in it, she had to look presentable all the time if she was going to be the world famous violin player she hoped to be.

MistyMagic.png

Misty was delighted with Fiddlestick's suggestion! She was ready to close the Post Office anyway, and the yellow unicorn mare didn't have much of a social life due to her... unique magical talents. Many of the citizens in Trottingham knew Misty, that she was a nice, quiet unicorn who did her job very well at the Post Office. But most of those same citizens kept their distance from the magical mare, due to the fact that often her 'magic' would activate randomly, thus causing minor havoc at times. And when Misty would take the time to concentrate on her magic spells, they would often 'backfire' like the time she tried to repair a friend's broken wagon wheel with her magic. She fixed the wheel, but her spell also caused to wagon to float high in the air in the process. This is why many ponies in town feared to be around her, and she both understood and accepted this. Perhaps Fiddlesticks hadn't heard of her and wouldn't shun her! What a great opportunity this was for Misty Magic!

"It would be my pleasure to give you a grand tour of our fair town, Fiddlesticks! It's near closing time, so after I help you with your mail, then I can close the shop and begin the tour!"

Fiddlesticks tilted her head at this pony not sure what to think of her quiet yet, but surely it couldn't be anything that bad. She smiled very large at the ponies remarks to show her around the town, it was just what she needed.

"Thank you very much for the help my dear." She spoke her Canterlot accent very thick now and certainly obvious. "I simply need to get these mailed, they have the addresses on them and I have placed the proper funds for the stamps atop the table. All that needs now is for you to work your magic and then close up shop and we can be on our way." Fiddlesticks was eager to explore the city and learn about it at the same time, surely this unicorn was going to be a very interesting pony to have around since in fact she did seem to know a lot of information and was obviously very clever. It was sure to be a good day and Fiddlesticks couldn't wait to get started.

MistyMagic.png

"No problem," Misty said as she began to work. Using her levitation magic, the yellow unicorn managed to stamp and place Fiddlestick's mail into its proper sacks for sending out. She could do simple levitations fine, so this job was no problem.

"There we are, all done! Just give me a minute to close up," Misty said as she locked away her cash drawer, drew all the drapes shut and then led her new friend out the door before locking it.

"Ready to go, Fiddlesticks! What would you like to see first?"

Fiddlesticks loved the spunk and the energy that this unicorn gave off. It was now apparent that she had in fact chosen, most likely, the best pony to show her around the town. After watching the Unicorn stamp and sort the mail with ease it seemed that nothing was imposable even though her cutie mark was rather strange, a question mark within a cloud, to what did that mean her special talent was?

“Ready to go, Fiddlesticks! What would you like to see first?” The words run though her head as she contemplated everything that the city might have in it and then as if on command her stomach began to rumble and with blush on her face she spoke slowly and carefully to the unicorn.

“Would you know any good restaurants around here? A good glass of lemon water and a daisy and hay sandwich sounds delicious at the moment. We could also talk about each other at the table, that is if you wouldn't mind getting to know me.” She gave a very big smile and a slight giggle as she walked behind Misty Magic, still not sure about her Cutie Mark but deciding it wasn't anything to worry about, if she wanted to talk about it Fiddlesticks was more then welcome to listen. “I mean, I would love to get to know you more, you seem to be a very nice Unicorn and I do need to make some new friends should I be staying here for any length of time.” She added at the last moment as she looked over at Misty Magic and was simply amazed at how well she seemed to be able to do her job and not even lose a tick of time.

MistyMagic.png

Misty was delighted with Fiddlestick's suggestion.

"Yes, I know a very nice restaurant not far from here, come with me!" the yellow unicorn neighed as she walked with her new friend down the street. As she walked, Misty tried to ignore all of the shopkeepers and ponies rushing to close their doors, taking in their welcome mats when they spotted her. Soon, other ponies up ahead galloped away as the two approached a stallion who was standing beside the wagon he'd been pulling that now had a broken axle.

"Hi Mr. Long Haul! Looks like your wagon's needs repaired, I can help with that..."

"Oh, no no no no! That quite alright," the green earth pony said.

"It's no trouble at all, sir," Misty said as her horn began to glow. Seeing that caused Long Haul to cry out and gallop into the distance. The petite yellow unicorn's horn stopped glowing as she breathed a heavy sigh before forcing a smile on her face. "Guess he went to get a blacksmith. That's ok, the restaurant's just a block away now!"

Fiddlesticks stared on in awe as the pony seemed to have fled from the poor unicorn mare. Surely this would have left her heartbroken or at least wounded in some way but to her surprise the unicorn seemed to just shrug it off as if it was nothing. “That's ok, the restaurant is just a block away now!” The unicorn was very passionate about what she did, and that was a good thing. She might not have been able to help the stubborn earth pony with his cart but for sure she knew her way to a good source of food, the smells in the air already making Fiddlesticks' tummy rumble even more then it was before.

“Oh I for certain have brought my bit purse with me. Since I am new here I will pay for our food if that is acceptable with you miss Misty?” Fiddlesticks said as her Canterlot accent thick and stabbing behind her words. She knew that her accent wasn't going to be frowned upon by this unicorn that was with us but it was still something to watch, she didn't need anypony thinking she was from the upper crust of life since all she did was live and work in Canterlot but was rarely home thanks to her job. “I am very certain that I will also need to find a place of residence for me to partake in the resting should the night fall.” She thought about her words as they came out and then realized how silly she sounded talking like that but still tried to carry on the conversation. “That is, if you happen to know of a place that still has rooms available. Preferably close to the Music Hall if that can be a factor.” She said as she looked around at all the lovely food shops that were on the path they were taking, one of these would surely be the stop for them.

MistyMagic.png

"You are very kind, Fiddlesticks, thank you!" Misty neighed as the two reached the front of the Hitching Post Cafe'. "And if none of the inns in town have any vacanties, you are more than welcome to stay with me at my cottage! It's the least I can do for all your kindness!"

When Misty entered the cafe', about half of the tables were occupied. One by one, when the customers saw Misty, each quickly left bits on their tables and fled out the side door. When one of the waiter ponies spotted her, he ran back into the kitchen where a whispered conversation took place that could be barely overheard by Misty and Fiddlesticks.

"It's her again, boss."

"Her?"

"Misty Magic, why do you let her in here? Her crazy magic could foul up at anytime."

"Oh, be quiet! Say one more bad thing about my cousin and you're FIRED!"

"Well, I ain't gonna wait on her!"

"Fine then, I'll do it myself," the female voice whispered as the mare proudly walked out into the dining room. She was a light red maned unicorn, slightly lanky that wore an apron and had a chef's hat cutie mark.

"Misty Magic! So good to see you again! Who's your new friend?"

"Buffet, this is Fiddlesticks! She's new in town and I'm showing her around."

"Welcome to Trottingham, Fiddlesticks! I hope my cousin's giving you a grand tour of town. Now, today at the Hitching Post, our special is the Hayloaf with fresh grass and apple salad!"

As the proprieter pony spoke, she floated two menus in front of the two seated mares.

Fiddlesticks couldn't help but look around at all the other open tables in the are and scoffed at how easily some people were scared. We just met a few moments ago and suddenly everypony gets strange feelings around us. What in the world is going on. She thought as the waiter came up to them with menus.

"Welcome to Trottingham, Fiddlesticks! I hope my cousin's giving you a grand tour of town." She had said, so that was the reason that Misty had chosen to take them here, her cousin seemed to own this fine establishment.

"Oh she is doing more then a grand job with that, but it seems like no pony wants to stay around and converse with the two of us. I'm starting to get a little worried that there might be something wrong with me." She said as she set her bags down and sat in the chair exactly opposite of Misty and glanced over the menu.

"Now, today at the Hitching Post, our special is the Hayloaf with fresh grass and apple salad!" Buffet had said and this piqued Fiddlesticks' interest very much, she had never actually had Hayloaf but had to make it several times back in Canterlot when she was working at the cafe with her sister.

"I do think I will have that if you would be so kind, and a glass of Lemon Water if you would please." She then began to fiddle around for her bit purse only to remember that it was around her neck still. She reached in to what seemed to be the endless depths of it and placed enough bits to pay for two orders on the table. "Here is the payment, I hope that is enough." She then added a few more bits for a tip to Buffet for being so kind. If there was a certain way to keep business Buffet was sure to have found it right here with her politeness and her very stunning shop.

MistyMagic.png

Buffet's heart sank when she heard Fiddlestick's comments. Before she could open her mouth to defend her cousin, Misty spoke.

"It's ok, cousin, I'll explain it to her," the petite unicorn said politely as she floated the menu back towards her. "The special's fine with me,"

After Buffet nodded politely, took the bits and walked back into the kitchen, Misty swallowed hard before turning towards Fiddlesticks.

"I was hoping you wouldn't notice everypony's reaction, but it's not about you, its about me. You see, my parents are the famous Equestria magician team of Mighty Magic and Abracadabra. When I was born, I was expected to carry on the family legacy of magic, but my magic seems, well, inconsistant at best. When I try to perform feats of magic, I usually mess it up and sometimes my magic just 'goes off' unexpectedly. This is why most of the townfolk here in Trottingham fear me. They like me and are comfortable with my work in the Post Office because I'm only doing simple levitations, but outside of my job, townfolk generally avoid me out of fear. My cousin Buffet is one of the few ponies who welcomes me with open hoofs. Guess I can't blame ponies for reacting like this, but sometimes it really gets frustrating.

As Misty spoke, her horn began to glow unexpectedly.

"I wish other ponies weren't so afraid of me. It's not like I made beachballs from out of the sky or stuff like that."

Suddenly, outside the cafe, the sounds of screaming, panicked ponies could be heard. Misty Magic rushed up and stood in the doorway to see the sight of medium sized beach balls falling like rain from above and ponies rushing off in every direction. While the foals and some of the older ponies in the streets enjoyed the bouncing beach balls and even began to play with them, others shouted things like "THE HORROR, THE HORROR!" and "RUN AWAY!" until the majority of angry ponies stopped to stare at Misty.

"Oh, it's just Misty Magic.. AGAIN!"

"What did you do THIS time, shorty?"

"Hay! Leave her alone! My kids love their new beach balls!"

"Yeah! Who's up for a game of beach ball, ponies?"

"Sorry everypony, I didn't mean to..." Misty apologized while using her horn magic to stop more falling beach balls.

"You NEVER mean to, Misty!"

The words of the angry ponies caused Misty to bow her head low and walk backwards into the dining room.

Fiddlestickspostbanner3.png

Fiddlesticks was taken aback by these rude ponies but didn't know how to comfort Misty.

"I'm sorry Misty, I didn't mean to..." She trailed off dropping her head in depression as she just made herself sound even more like those other ponies who just wanted to be away from Misty. Fiddlesticks wasn't anything like them and didn't want to lose Fiddlesticks as a friend and a tour guide. "Misty, if you..." Fiddlesticks began to speak not knowing how to word her thoughts. "would be so kind..." taking another moment to collect herself and then finishing it off. "as to please continue to be my friend no matter what and continue to be nice and the Misty you were when we met. Do not let these pones get to you or their words have any effect on you. You are special for this talent of yours, you might not be able to focus on your magic but when it comes down to it your randomness is something I value very much. My life can often be boring and dreary, you are exactly what I was looking for in a friend. The fact that you opened up to me so easily and told me about yourself without me even having to ask was a blessing to me, I rarely find ponies outside of Canterlot who wish to talk to me thanks to my accent and my mannerisms." Fiddlesticks hung her head again trying to downplay how she really felt about those ponies teasing Misty, it didn't take long for some tears to form in her eyes as she remembered being teased about wanting to be just like her big sister.

MistyMagic.png

Misty felt comforted by Fiddlestick's words and noticed tears falling from her eyes.

"It's alright, really," the petite unicorn mare said. "I could tell you were a great pony from the moment I met you. Don't worry about me, I'm fine too. Someday maybe I'll learn to master my magic. I even applied to Princess Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns when I was a foal. But during the entrance exam, instead of hatching the dragon egg, my magic multiplied the egg until dragon eggs filled the room. It was a sad day in my life back then, but now I can look back at it and laugh. I can still remember the looks on all the judging facility's faces! And one good thing that came out of it, the school had a large supply of dragon eggs that lasted for years! Cheer up, Fiddlesticks! Life is a great adventure!"

A slight smile streaked across Fiddlesticks face as she tried to wipe the tears from her eyes. She took a deep breath as she listened to Misty speak about her accomplishments thanks to her 'faulty' magic. It brought a small chuckle into Fiddlesticks' head as she thought about how she felt the music of music was a lot like Misty's magic, unpredictable and always changing giving what you least expect or often giving you something that you truly wanted but had to work hard for.

"Thank you Misty." Was all Fiddlesticks could think to begin with. "Thank you for being my friend." She took another deep breath trying to right herself since now she was more concerned not with the ponies outside but the few that still remained on the inside of the store. Mainly Misty and her cousin, the two of them seemed to be very close and it was touching to see that Misty might not have very many friends but those she did have stuck by her no matter what. A rumble in her tummy brought her thoughts back to the food that they had ordered as she wondered how long it had been since they had even arrived at the place to dine.

MistyMagic.png

"Your orders are ready!" Buffet neighed as she brought the two trays of food and sat them on their table.

"Just in time, cousin, I'm starved!" Misty shouted as she galloped back to the table. "C'mon Fiddlesticks, you're gonna love Buffet's cooking!"

The remaining customers in the shop stared at Misty for a moment before returning to their meals. The other waiters went on with their work, carefully avoiding Misty's table. Seeing this, Buffet gave her employees very angry stares. The tension was broken when one of beach balls Misty produced rolled through the front door and across the dining room floor over to Misty's hind feet. The petite yellow unicorn then noticed a young filly with her parents at a nearby table looking over at it and smiling.

"Please excuse me a moment, Fiddlesticks, I'll be right back," she said as she turned around. Using her levitation powers, Misty picked up the beach ball and walked over to the table. "Pardon me, but would your filly like to have this beach ball?"

Before her parents could object, the light green blank flank filly reached up with her little hooves to grab the ball.

"Gee, thanks Misty!"

"You're very welcome."

"Mommy, Daddy, why did you tell me that Misty's a monster and to stay away from her?"

The foal's parents looked at each other, then at Misty, then back at their daughter, and then back at each other, too embarrassed to speak. Misty turned and walked back over to their table, trying hard to supress her urge to laugh hysterically.

A smirk crosses Fiddlesticks face as she looks on to Misty being nothing but an amazing pony to be around and yet so many ponies just want to push her away. With a giggle and a hoof to her face she tried to hide her thoughts by thinking of the food but it was obvious to anypony who looked at her that she sort of admired this pony, strange as it sounds a pony like this had never shown herself to Fiddlesticks before, somepony so innocent, hardworking, fun, interesting, smart, gah the list goes on. Fiddlesticks shook her head to try and clear her thoughts or at least let her focus on the task at hand, the food. She took up the fork in one hoof and began to slowly tear her section of hayloaf apart into smaller bits to eat among her salad. A full on smile crosses her face now as she takes the first bite into the hayloaf and the salad together. After washing it down with a sip of her lemon water she looks up to Misty with a huge grin and an expression that seemed to be pouring out gratitude and excitement.

"Wow Misty, this is amazing. My best regards to the chef and the owner. This establishment has the best tasting food I've had in a long time!" She wasn't joking either, although she worked for a Diner in Canterlot she often spend much of her time eating there too so the food had lost its somewhat magical quality, but this food was....no not for commoners, but....not what most of the upper-tier of Canterlot would eat? Fiddlesticks had no idea how to organize her thoughts but continued eating at a brisk pace attempting to please her stomach that was causing so many interruptions as of late. After taking a big gulp of her lemon water and looking at the salad and hayloaf that she had all but demolished she looked up to Misty. "So Misty, what else do you have planned for today? If the whole day is this exciting I don't think I'll be leaving for a long time."

MistyMagic.png

Misty smiled at Fiddlestick's words, and her compliments about her cousin's cooking. The yellow unicorn mare could also see that her new friend was enjoying herself, even with all the distractions.

"Well, I did plan to take you to the town square and the marketplace, though I don't know how many merchants will still be there at this hour of the day. Sometimes there is one traveling merchant who has some rather unique items to sell. He's a Paint pony with a peace sign cutie mark who sells hoofmade crafts, artwork and poetry. If we're lucky, he might be in town today."

With a giggle Fiddlesticks finished off her food.

"And you would recommend his work to all of your friends?" She got the feeling that maybe Misty liked this craft-pony more then she was letting on. But then again, as far as she could tell Misty was fond of everypony in one way or another. She always did seem to bring only the best of people close to her. "I do think it would be nice to go see this pony should you still wish to." She then stretched and flipped her mane over to the other side of her face hoping to keep it all intact just on the other side of her head. She was ready to go when Misty was and she knew that Misty would always be willing to show her the most unique things around the town since Misty herself was very unique. The best part was the way Misty talked about this craft-pony made her sort of feel an urge if not want to meet him and see for herself how much of a charmer he was.

MistyMagic.png

"Wonderful! I'll be done in just a second," Misty Magic said as she took the last bite and one last sip of her drink. She then waved to her cousin in the kitchen as she led Fiddlesticks outside. A few of the happy foals were still playing with their new beachballs and waving at Misty as she approached the town square. As she feared, the majority of the merchants were packing up their tents and closing their wagons for the day, all but one familiar looking wagon on the far side of the square.

"That's his wagon! Mojo's here!" the purple maned unicorn neighed as she galloped over to it. There, she stopped to listen to the Paint stallion with the peace sign cuite mark playing his guitar as he sang gently:

"You don't need a weatherpony, to know which way the wind is blowing,

You don't need a farmer pony, to know how much the grass is growing,

You don't need a seafaring pony, to know which way the river's flowing,

Just open up your eyes and you will see,

The charm of all the earth in it's beau-ty..."

Mojo stopped singing when he spotted Misty and Fiddlesticks.

"MISTY MAGIC!" the brown maned stallion shouted as he rushed up to hug her. "Haven't seen ya since the Runnin' of the Leaves! I hoped I'd run into ya here!"

"Good to see you again, Mojo," Misty said as she shared the hug before releasing it. "And this is my new friend Fiddlesticks! Fiddlesticks, this is Mojo."

:"Pleased to be makin' your acquantance, miss," the British accented hippie brony said as he reached out his hoof to shake. "I sell only the finest hoofmade crafts. art and other really cool stuff! Would ya like the grand tour?"

With a grin and a quick nod she looked about his wares she was looking for some sort of musical instrument due to the fact she didn't want to be practicing on her fancy violin that her sister had bought her. She returned his hoof shake with a massive grin, this stallion was in fact a charmer and was very well versed in the art of craft.

"Hello Mojo, as Misty has informed my name is Fiddlesticks. I am a musician for hire and often find myself playing out of town concerts and small parties but none the less work is work and I enjoy what I do. It is a pleasure to meet such a fine stallion like yourself." She took her hoof back after their shake and preformed a bow for him as was proper for ladies to bow when they were introduced. She stood back up and swished her tail a few times and then flipped her mane out of her face so that Mojo could get a better look at her. Even Misty hadn't seen this much of Fiddlesticks face as sometimes her mane would fall in front of it just enough to cover it up. Fiddlesticks turned to Misty and grinned largely at her.

"This is quite a nice find here! Are you two an item or simply good friends?" It wasn't marelike to ask that kind of question, but she wanted to know before she decided how high on his list he would rate.

MistyMagic.png

Both Misty and Mojo looked stunned at the suggestion that he and her were 'an item.'

"Oh no, miss Sticks," the hippie brony said with a smile, "though she's quite a looker, Misty and I are just good friends. All of me travels and time on the road don't often afford me the honor of romance! I take it by your name that yur into violins. Have a looksee at THIS!"

Mojo dashed over to this wagon and returned with a small instrument case in his mouth. Misty smiled as she used her unicorn magic to lift up the case and open it in view of Fiddlesticks.

"Thanks for the assist, love," Mojo said to Misty before turning towards Fiddlesticks. "Here is me pride'n joy! Took me months to widdle this, string it and make it sound just right. This voilin may not be ready for Carn-neigh-gee Hall, but it'll play with the best fiddles around! Whatdoya think? Hoof painted, waxed and decorated too."

• 2 weeks later...

Fiddlesticks looked at the two with a short giggle. They did look good together even if they were not an item they still seemed to be very good friends at the very least.

"Ah yes, violins, I play one as my job and often am looking for new ones to have around with me." She looked about the violin and marked its amazing quality. "Wow this is an amazing piece of work! I'm sure it would be a splendid instrument to use for any top tier performances and I know that I'd be honored to play for you if you wanted me to." She smiled and placed her violin case on the ground and unlatched it. She was going to play with the one that was being presented in front of her but chose to use her own for the time being. She grabbed out her bow lastly and took the position ready to play.

"Any requests?"

MistyMagic.png

"Wonderful!" Misty neighed, "How about a piece from Mozhoof or Baetoven?"

"Gotta love the classics," added Mojo as the Paint stallion pulled up a deck chair and sat down. "I got to hear all sorts of groovy classical music from a dear friend of mine, Jubilee Flyer! She's like a sister to me, used to hang out together and jam out when we could. Kinda hard for me to keep up with me ol' guitar, but I did always give it a go. Mind if I give ya some accompaniment?"

"WOW! Makes me wish that I could play a violin well," the petite unicorn mare said, unaware that her horn was glowing the entire time. In a flash, Misty took up Mojo's hoofmade violin and began to play a classical piece of music flawlessly.

"Thought ya couldn't play, sounds hip and happenin' to me, Misty!"

"It's not me... I mean... I can't stop myself..." the worried unicorn spoke while she continued playing. "Help me!"

With a sudden burst of speed she quickly placed her violin back into the case and tackled Misty to the floor. She checked to make sure that her horn wasn't glowing anymore and then looked over to see the finely handcrafted instrument laying on the floor, in pieces.

"I'm sorry about your violin Mr. Mojo, how much would you like for it?" She was going to buy it even if it was broken, she could always spend her free time fixing it back up and getting it tuned just the way she wanted it. She kept laying atop Misty and looked down on her with a soft smile and a chuckle.

"I stopped you didn't I?" She giggled a bit more and stood up from Misty and helped her up from the ground, today was turning out to be an interesting day in deed.