[Cloudsdale] Wonders and Shadows (QuickLime; Davroth)

Davroth

A cold spring breeze ruffled the white mare's feathers as she flew over the clouds of Cloudsdale, her saddlebags filled with herbs and roots. It had been a long day, and the local herbalists seemed to have worse selections every time. It was a blessing that as a Shadowbolt, she could finally afford all the ingredients she needed for her more ambitious experiments.

Opal Shards despised visiting Cloudsdale. It carried all kinds of bad memories. Her time in the weather factory, her tiny room, and not least her miserable failure at the Wonderbolt tryouts. She preferred not to think about it.

As she flew over the entertainment district, she spotted, much to her surprise, someone she actually knew, and didn't resend from the bottom of her heart. She floated down to him elegantly, clearing her throat to get his attention:

"If it isn't Gale.." She began, smiling thinly but genuinely "..haven't seen your glasses in a while." She shuffled her wings, folding them neatly on her back. "Still part of that flight team.. what was it called again?" She gave a little chuckle.

Gale had been joying an off day before blinking as his ears flicked hearing a familiar voice with that same icy tone that was all too familiar and glanced at her, a smile grinning from ear to ear as his whole face lit up "Why my stars! If it isn't the queen of the snow" He moved to pull his old friend and almost fellow Wonderbolt into a hug "It's been so long!" The last he heard Opal had joined another flying group "It's so good to see you"

The white mare staggered a little, returning the hug a little gingerly. "It's good to see you, too. I was afraid this would be one of those terribly dull visits to this ratchet town." She laughed, clear as spring water.

Opal remembered the blue stallion well. It wasn't unusual for Wonderbolts to show interest in talented fliers before the tryouts, and you couldn't exactly train secretly in Cloudsdale, especially considering her situation at the time she had been training to become a Wonderbolt. He had been supportive, even after her disastrous performance during the tryouts.

She stepped back, giving him a teasing smile: "Oh, right. You are a Wonderbolt.. How is the life of a glorified race horse treating you, huh?" She chuckled lightly, taking the edge off of her last remark.

"Oh I'm great! and it's wonderful! The thrill and rush of the air and the roar of it in my ears" He let go of her and flew up spinning around "Oh you should understand how wonderful it is to be able to push yourself to the tip of your speed limit!"Gale said and sighed "..The fame and such is nice too but honestly signing autographs doesn't seem nearly as fun as getting to perform really.." He said and chuckled.

"Oh you know me..." the white pegasus began, unfolding her wings "I have always been more interested in the finer arts of weather manipulations." She flapped her wings, sprinkling a white powder into the air that instantly disappeared. After a moment, the air around them cooled down to slightly above freezing point.

Opal took to the sky joining Gale, showing off her impressive wingspan: "That is not to say that I can't still fly with the best of them." She gave him a teasing smile. "I would gladly show you, but as you can see, I'm a little encumbered currently." She pointed her head to the heavy saddlebags she so effortlessly carried.

She looked around, then gave him her usual cold smile. "I do have the evening free, though. Maybe we could grab a drink a catch up? What do you think, Mr. famous?"

• 3 weeks later...

GaleFlurrybanner.jpg

Gale rolled his eyes at that and smiled “Ofcourse I’d love to meet up with you for a drink, though I’d also like to help you with those bags, and PLEASE I’m not famous the WonderBolts are” He did like some of the glory that came with being associated with them though… The roar of the crowds, the praise, the glory… the flowers thrown at you for some reason or another… It was a very nice bonus to the thrill of racing and diving and looping and twisting.

After the drink I say we go flying and stretch our wings, and maybe you can show me that weather manipulation of yours?” He asked wanting to spend time with a old foalhood friend, even if she was on a Rival team.

"Why, what a gentlecolt..." she chuckled lightly. Routinely undoing one of her bags, she tossed it over to Gale with a smile.

Opal looked around. This was near where she used to live when she first arrived in Cloudsdale, and if she recalled right...

"Hmm, the Broken Feather is nearby. Haven't been there in years. What do you say?" Her smile was as wide as it was ambiguous, but that was more her nature shining through. She was genuinely glad to see the blue stallion again. Just because she dreaded the time she had spend in Cloudsdale didn't mean she hadn't made any friends.

Darting forward, the white mare brushed aside Gale playfully. "Last pony at the bar pays the first round..." She called back to him.

• 2 weeks later...

GaleFlurrybanner.jpg

Gale easily caught the bag that got thrown to him and grinned slipping his neck over it "The Broken Feather is my favorite bar" He said thinking back on many fond evenings sipping a beverage in the nice place, enjoying the sounds and smells of the familiar location... though the nostalgic reminiscing got shattered by a challenge he couldn't resist "A a RACE!? You are ON ShadowButt!" He said a very cocky yet handsome smirk crossing the males face, pushing his glasses up with his hoof carefully.

He bolted after her easily overpassing her, a stream of manipulated clouds thundering behind him in typical WonderBolt fashion, he couldn't help but show off because he really did like her and wanted to impress her..maybe if he impressed her she wouldn't mind going out with a WonderLoser?

As expected, the blue pegasus couldn't resist such an obvious challenge, and he had already passed Opal mere moments after the race started. She laughed quietly to herself. Everything went just as planned.

The white mare was almost one head bigger then her opponent, and even if the additional air resistance wouldn't slow her down, the Wonderbolts put far more emphasis on speed then her flight team did. That didn't mean she wouldn't try to push him a little..

Opal tapped into her reserves, slowly catching up with the stallion. A thin stream of snow followed in her wake, almost instantly evaporating in the late spring sun. She was fairly proud of the effect, even if it only was cosmetic. Almost pushing herself to the limit, the pegasus mare pulled up next to Gale, her long mane fluttering wildly in the flight wind, ever so slightly turning her head to give him a playful wink with her piercing, red eyes, a wide smile expertly masking her exhaustion.

"Is that all you got, Wondercolt?" He said, unable to hide a light shiver in her voice.