Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of my family members know, I take more care in hiding my bronyness then my cousin does hiding his naked lady pictures (Somehow the school blocks the p-word, but not naked). My family is very homophobic, so this would probably get me disowned.

Note: Convincing them of the awesomeness of bronys does not work, they are extremely stubborn and would sooner believe bronys were all gay then any evidence to the contrary.

None of my family members know, I take more care in hiding my bronyness then my cousin does hiding his naked lady pictures (Somehow the school blocks the p-word, but not naked). My family is very homophobic, so this would probably get me disowned.

Note: Convincing them of the awesomeness of bronys does not work, they are extremely stubborn and would sooner believe bronys were all gay then any evidence to the contrary.

i know what you mean my family is exactly the same

My friends know all about my Bronyness, and they pretty much accept it.

However, My parents most likely wouldnt. I fear that if they knew, they would instantly take me for gay or somthing (Nothing wrong with that of course, But I am not).

My dad in particular, He was born back in the 50's and that is an entirely diffrent world to now.

It kind of makes me sad :sleep: But If I knew they would accept it, I would happily let them know.

My friends know all about my Bronyness, and they pretty much accept it.

However, My parents most likely wouldnt. I fear that if they knew, they would instantly take me for gay or somthing (Nothing wrong with that of course, But I am not).

My dad in particular, He was born back in the 50's and that is an entirely diffrent world to now.

It kind of makes me sad :sleep: But If I knew they would accept it, I would happily let them know.

Yer my dad was born in the 50's aswell, my stepmother in the 40's so i keep quiet about it

My mother doesn't know, but I don't hide it. It's been paused on Netflix before while she was using the computer and she said nothing. So either she knows and just wrote it off or she is oblivious.

If she is oblivious and she does have a problem with it, I have four aces I can use to make her understand why... 1) I love Lucy scene in last round up (she is a huge I love Lucy fan) 2) opportunity (she is a fan of the music man) 3) the homage to star wars in return to harmony (fan of star wars) 4) (this is last resort) she has an obsession with Disney movies, and has a collection of Disney princess figurines as well as all of the dwarfs from snow white.

It depends on your age (and your parent's personality), I'm sixteen and know for a fact that my dad would refuse to have anything to do with me if he found out, and he's the nice one.

I think my sister knows, either that or she is one as well (she sings the theme song whenever I am nearby).

My father knows and thinks it's odd, but then he already knew I was a furry, and besides that he's a Trekkie and after seeing around 2/3 of FiM he's admitting to liking it (even going as far to say fluttershy is his favorite) even though he's not "brony enough" to watch it if I dont make him.

My mother knows I like the ponies, she knows I'm a huge fan of animation and she knows a lot of animation is not for kids, I mentioned a few non-kiddy facts about the series and she accepts that I like it, but she still mocks me for wearing pony shirts or carrying my dashie messenger bag (though her comment about "people are going to laugh at your hand-bag" may be less about the fact it has a pony on it and more she just sees it as "men dont carry bags of any kind") Though she doesnt know the extent of my interest, so...

My father knows and thinks it's odd, but then he already knew I was a furry, and besides that he's a Trekkie and after seeing around 2/3 of FiM he's admitting to liking it (even going as far to say fluttershy is his favorite) even though he's not "brony enough" to watch it if I dont make him.

My mother knows I like the ponies, she knows I'm a huge fan of animation and she knows a lot of animation is not for kids, I mentioned a few non-kiddy facts about the series and she accepts that I like it, but she still mocks me for wearing pony shirts or carrying my dashie messenger bag (though her comment about "people are going to laugh at your hand-bag" may be less about the fact it has a pony on it and more she just sees it as "men dont carry bags of any kind") Though she doesnt know the extent of my interest, so...

you must have some pretty awesome parents then, my father would hate to find out i am a furry and a Brony

I've seen that this is a tricky topic, if not for the fact that everyone's parents are so different. Some may willingly accept it and celebrate it with their child, or see it as deviance and shun the behavior.

Remember a lot of what makes FiM so special is how it was able to break down so many gender-role reinforced paradigms -- it would be against its spirit to hide it away like something to be embarrassed about.

If your family criticizes you about liking it, ask them what else you shouldn't like based on their personal taste preferences. If you have to hide away pony to be accepted by your parents, how else do you have to act to be accepted? That sounds like a good setup for a rocky future relationship to me.

I'm no furry, just a brony. My "friends" (that know) have three types of emotions toward it:

You're a brony? Me too!

I don't agree with what you watch, but I accept it.

and just avoiding me.

i don't know what the friend situation would be like as i have none, but i do see what you mean

I've seen that this is a tricky topic, if not for the fact that everyone's parents are so different. Some may willingly accept it and celebrate it with their child, or see it as deviance and shun the behavior.

Remember a lot of what makes FiM so special is how it was able to break down so many gender-role reinforced paradigms -- it would be against its spirit to hide it away like something to be embarrassed about.

If your family criticizes you about liking it, ask them what else you shouldn't like based on their personal taste preferences. If you have to hide away pony to be accepted by your parents, how else do you have to act to be accepted? That sounds like a good setup for a rocky future relationship to me.

Thank you, i must say i agree, I've already been teased about liking the show by my 13 year old niece, but that's because she doesn't understand, i just hope i don't get disowned, and how should i mention that i like My Little Pony: FiM should i just tell them or should i start watching it during the day so they can see i like it?

you must have some pretty awesome parents then, my father would hate to find out i am a furry and a Brony

lol, that's a good one. My mother just 'accepts' it, doesnt like it and doesnt fully understand it or she'd hate me for it (because of the sedier elements), my father is cool about it though and for that I am greatful.

i just hope i don't get disowned, and how should i mention that i like My Little Pony: FiM should i just tell them or should i start watching it during the day so they can see i like it?

I wouldnt reccomend just watching it in plain view because they would see "cartoon kiddy ponies" it's not a show that you can take a single glance at and see it far more than meets the eye, it's best to just casually mention 'a show' you like and 'test the waters' first.

I honestly doubt your parents would disown you, (I doubt mine would, but one conversation with my dad ended with him saying any kids that are gay are no kids of his) but you who your parents better than me.

Oh your dad must be related to my mother, she's told me that if I ever "decide" to be gay (yeah people just choose to be part of a group that is universally misunderstood and if often lynched for the tartarus of it *eyeroll*) that she would throw me out of not just the house but the family!

Oh your dad must be related to my mother, she's told me that if I ever "decide" to be gay (yeah people just choose to be part of a group that is universally misunderstood and if often lynched for the tartarus of it *eyeroll*) that she would throw me out of not just the house but the family!

My dad got it all from my grandmother, of course I am the only grandson (out of twelve).

lol, that's a good one. My mother just 'accepts' it, doesnt like it and doesnt fully understand it or she'd hate me for it (because of the sedier elements), my father is cool about it though and for that I am greatful.

I wouldnt reccomend just watching it in plain view because they would see "cartoon kiddy ponies" it's not a show that you can take a single glance at and see it far more than meets the eye, it's best to just casually mention 'a show' you like and 'test the waters' first.

my dad says the same thing

I honestly doubt your parents would disown you, (I doubt mine would, but one conversation with my dad ended with him saying any kids that are gay are no kids of his) but you who your parents better than me.

How can watching a cartoon decide your sex preference?

Even if you were gay, why would it matter? I'm really surprised the reaction you're describing is that strong.

Anyway, my advice is the "business as usual" approach. Enjoy it however you like. Watch it in the open. Wear brony shirts. Life is too short to worry about what other people think, especially about viewership and support of a cartoon.

Archived