Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

As I mentioned earlier, my dad associates anything "girly" that a guy watches as gay.

With all respect due, that's pretty ignorant of him. My condolences.

I hope you're able to work it out, I can't imagine the sort of feelings you have with liking something that your dad would take issue with, especially something as awesome as FiM.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can watching a cartoon decide your sex preference?

Even if you were gay, why would it matter? I'm really surprised the reaction you're describing is that strong.

Anyway, my advice is the "business as usual" approach. Enjoy it however you like. Watch it in the open. Wear brony shirts. Life is too short to worry about what other people think, especially about viewership and support of a cartoon.

your right , only problem is i gotta stay up late at night to watch it (its caused my body jet lag), i guess when i buy my cupcakes shirt and vinyl for my car i will probably be more open and come out of the closet about MLP, but till then i will just keep quiet

i-need-my-cupcake-money-t-shirts_design.png

your right , only problem is i gotta stay up late at night to watch it (its caused my body jet lag), i guess when i buy my cupcakes shirt and vinyl for my car i will probably be more open and come out of the closet about MLP, but till then i will just keep quiet

i-need-my-cupcake-money-t-shirts_design.png

Another Cupcakes fan!? :mad:<3

You know how to liver it up!

hmmm this is a pretty good topic i think to discuss, but nah, my parents dont know i watch the show or anything yet, but matey they have there suspicions from when i blast pony music full volume from my room, tho to be honest id dont think they would care ;)

yer i play pony music from my room, but not full volume, they have never heard it, except the other day when Art of the Dress (Reprise) was playing on my iPod dock and my father came in to say goodbye and leave for work and heard it playing

I'll never be disowned in my family, that much I know for certain. I'm honest and going into a good career in science. which is much better off than the rest of my family.

That and if I do, I'm pretty sure my father well haunt my mother from the grave. He may not have liked it, but it wouldn't be grounds to disown me. I actually can't think of anything that my father would have disowned me for actually.

To those of you who are worried about being disowned, I wouldn't worry too much. Parents often say that, but once you are gone they will regret it. Anecdotal story time: My friend "R" is bi. She meet a girl, "B" that she fell for completely. B's family was very accepting, but R's is a very conservative Indian family. She finally gathered up the courage to come out to her family. She was disowned completely. She moved to her girlfriend's town out of state for a year. She came back at her father's request who helped her feet an apartment in the area. He didn't like that she was a lesbian, but didn't like the idea of cutting off ties with his daughter even more. It took him a year to realize this, but he and her mother finally came to accept her for who she is. I'm not sure if they are completely happy, but they decided family was more important than sexual identification.

I never mentioned it to my moms, considering before i joined the fandom, i did joke about it, though they most likely wouldn't think any less of me, god forbid call me gay, since that would be an insult to themselves

That would be something.

(I would like to note that I have nothing against homosexuals, this is just in case anyone took offense to a post or two of mine)

to be honest i really think there is actually no point in telling your parents about your love for the show, i mean they are from a differnt time period from us and the world was differnt back then when they were little fillies.

IMO just stick to it with your friends and closest mates because they will understand more, i really think things will get complicated if you just go up to your mom and dad and say " oh yeah mum btw i watch my little pony friendship is magic ".. o_0....... enter awkward moment

I never mentioned it to my moms, considering before i joined the fandom, i did joke about it, though they most likely wouldn't think any less of me, god forbid call me gay, since that would be an insult to themselves

Just out of curiosity... Why would them calling you gay be an insult to you or themselves? Homosexuality is not insulting. And gay isn't exactly a derogatory term. I really never understood that.

It depends on the context and tonality, Swirly.

Interesting story about your friend. I'm glad it had a happy ending -- too often it doesn't!

I think it depends on the individual's perception of homosexuality. I've been called gay before and felt nothing, because, to me, there is nothing insulting about being homosexual. I usually don't even justify such remarks with a response.

Something can only be insulting if it is negative to the target of the insult. So to me, being called gay isn't insulting, because I see no negative connotation to it. Perhaps it's a product of where I grew up and the overall environment. But I simply can't see it being insulting in any context.

And it's definitely good that my friends situation worked out.

Something can only be insulting if it is negative to the target of the insult. So to me, being called gay isn't insulting, because I see no negative connotation to it. Perhaps it's a product of where I grew up and the overall environment. But I simply can't see it being insulting in any context.

Yeah, that is different for me and where I live, in my school most people shun open homosexuality (teachers don't even have to stop bullying if it is about homosexuality)

I think it depends on the individual's perception of homosexuality. I've been called gay before and felt nothing, because, to me, there is nothing insulting about being homosexual. I usually don't even justify such remarks with a response.

And it's definitely good that my friends situation worked out.

I completely agree it's about the individual's perception, but I was talking more about how the term's context and tone may affect its definition by the user, ignorant as it is. Example, saying "Blah blah blah, that's gay." isn't implying anything about homosexuality.

I completely agree it's about the individual's perception, but I was talking more about how the term's context and tone may affect its definition by the user, ignorant as it is. Example, saying "Blah blah blah, that's gay." isn't implying anything about homosexuality.

Yes, that implies, to me, that something is happy. What ever happened to that definition? I like that definition!

And Tyler, that is unfortunate. Hopefully where you live will learn to grow up and accept homosexuality.

Back to the subject at hand, I'll put further thoughts about this topic in the proper thread in the 18+ forum.

I'm waiting for my WeLoveFine swag to come in that I ordered. My dad will probably ask why there is what looks like a unicorn on my shirt, I'll explain it to him then. I am not sure how he will react however.

Here is the shirt. I plan to order.

do-you-like-bananas.jpg

Out of curiosity, what does that pony meme mean, and where did it come from?

I'm waiting for my WeLoveFine swag to come in that I ordered. My dad will probably ask why there is what looks like a unicorn on my shirt, I'll explain it to him then. I am not sure how he will react however.

Here is the shirt. I plan to order.

do-you-like-bananas.jpg

i dont get it... do you like Bananas?

Yeah, that is different for me and where I live, in my school most people shun open homosexuality (teachers don't even have to stop bullying if it is about homosexuality)

This is my problem, except it didnt end with school, the community at large is like this, if your known to be gay your groceries get mishandled in the checkout (fresh eggs? you now have 1 giant omlate. Flour? goes right in with the milk or icecream so it gets wet. Deli chicken with all the juice in the bottom ob the pan? upside down.) at restaraunts you'll always have your goot spit in, made with old ingredients, and often mishandled even then, and you will never, ever, ever, ever be able to hold down a job, you'll only GET a job if hiring is done out of town. This is why I cant let anyone even think I *might* be gay...

Archived