Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

My mother might know. She has makes the same 2 pony references every now and then. My dad definitely doesn't I don't think they would really care either way. I love football so that is good enough for my him. They know I watch cartoons every now and then so....

I haven't really told anyone except for 3 of my friends and that was mainly because they looked at my youtube history. They really don't care. One of them was a brony for a short time. I wouldn't tell my other friends, not because it would affect my friendships with them, but because they would mock it and that is something I can do without.

I would be shocked if my brother didn't know. My favorites were public for a while on my youtube channel and he would always talk about the other videos in my favorites. He wouldn't care.

My sister definitely knows considering the fact I watch the show with my niece whenever I am over. Then again she thinks I am gay so it wouldn't really change what she thinks about me :blah:

I understand that some parents are not the most accepting of things.....

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah, Angie's parents were in the same room as her when she found ponies. she told them all about ponies at dinner that day.

no secrets in my house, we're all open :^D

as far as I know, at least :l I've never had anything to hide before

I tried to hide it, but alas, my immediate family found out.

This resulted in me getting Twilight Sparkle's Twinkling Balloon and a G3.5 Sweetie Belle for Christmas.

Now that I live with my aunt and uncle, my aunt is pretty supportive. She doesn't like animated shows at all really, though, so no chance of her becoming a Brony. My uncle doesn't really 'get' it (as in, he doesn't pay much attention to what I like in the first place), but he's not opposed to me liking it.

Just out of curiosity... Why would them calling you gay be an insult to you or themselves? Homosexuality is not insulting. And gay isn't exactly a derogatory term. I really never understood that.

It would be in insult to themselves, since most people consider the word " Gay" a bad thing. honestly, I think of "Gay" as a different thing then " Homosexual." I am all for homosexual rights, and find nothing wrong with them, they're just ordinary people. but, anyway, if you couldn't tell by the context of my sentence, i mean i wasn't born to a "straight" couple.

Hmm...let's see...

I kept my Brony status from my parents for a long while. In fact, it wasn't until Febuary when my mom finally found it. Thanks to my iTunes sending her the receipt, one of my purchases was "The Last Roundup". My mom sent a joke message about it, and I then sent an e-mail FLOODING with links about Bronies just so I could explain myself. She does occassionally tease me about it, but she's surprisingly understanding. Honestly, I was just afraid she would do the normal parenting thing and act like she understood and supported me because I was her kid...she's good about me getting Brony shirts and such.

My Dad discovered by finding my Facebook page and finding it was flooded with FiM. He asked, I explained in some detail, and he simply brushed it off as "weird". He hasn't mentioned it since, however.

The rest of my family however...has mixed reactions.

My closest cousin found out directly from me, and he now considers it "gay" and will always hate on me if I have MLP-related stuff on my screen. It's all in good fun, though. Besides, he's 12. I'm 16. :blah:

One of my uncles, who was told this by my cousin, immeadetly asked my cousin "Is he a FurFag?". I'm sure he was joking, and I even laughed when my cousin told me he actually said that. He's a good joker, so I know he still loves me, xD

Some of my aunts are actually CONCERNED about the whole Brony thing. My mom confronted me about it a few weeks ago, telling me my aunts were "concerned" about the Brony thing, which led to my mom to try and convince me to STOP BEING A BRONY. Well, I told her off and I stuck to ponies. :smug:

I think the best family member about this has been, surprisingly, my mom's boyfriend. He's EXTREMELY nice, and even researched the whole thing once my mom found out. He constantly posts fun stuff related to Bronies on my Facebook page, and he's just very understanding about it. He was also the only one to defend me during the concerned phase. I certainly am thankful he's supportive of it, no matter how "weird" they all think it is.

i actually found it quite easy to explain, just showed a picture of Rainbow and how she is 20% cooler, my father was a bit weirded out but he probably wont ever mention it or joke about it, the way he saw it was its my choice Shock horror

My older sister knows.

Other than that, there'd be no reason my parents would need to know.

I live alone, don't talk to them often.

Usually on Holidays and occasional occasions.

Speaking of which...did you get those brony shirts yet?

Also, nice sig!

My father knows I am a furry, though I am fairly certain neither my mother nor my father know I am a brony. I am not hiding my love of ponies from them, there has just been no real reason to ever bring it up. Either way, I imagine no perceptions would change should they ever find out. My father jokes about my being a furry from time to time, but we maintain a strong relationship, regardless.

My mother knows, and just found it kinda funny, but she loves ponies and horses and whatnot. My grandmother finds it a little odd, but doesnt seem to care(she bought me the 20pack blind bag pony box from toys r us), and I have no idea if my stepdad knows, or cares, he hasnt said anything about it, so meh. Then again, I'm not really an exemplary case, Ive got worse things going on than a liking for improbably colored talking magic ponies.

My brother knows about it. Doesn't see the appeal of it and every now and then he teases me about it. He has grown to accept though that this ain't going away any time soon. Or as I keep reminding him, I'm going to be a Brony... FOREVER :mad:

Or at least I like to believe so. I'm having too much fun and I really enjoy the discussions with my fellow Bronies.

As for my parents, when they came to visit, they saw my army of Ponies (brushing, blind bag, Mcdonalds, etc) proudly displayed on my bookshelf. And if I judged it right at the time, there was a glint of confusion which changed to a *sigh* of understanding. Took me a bit to figure it out, but it wasn't until my mother asked me, in private like it was some huge secret plot, that if that was why I was still single... I couldn't help but facehoof.

Talked to them for a bit, couldn't get them to sit down and watch an episode so they'd at least judge for themselves though. Think my mom believed me when I explained to them that I was indeed straight. My dad though, he's the kind of guy that has to see it to believe it. So unless I'm at the alter anytime soon, he's going to take a bit of convincing. :)

Well, I've told my dad that I'm a brony/pegasister. But judging by the *number* of times I've told him, that doesn't necessarily mean that he knows.

At the time(s) he seemed to think it was weird, but he didn't mind. He's like that about pretty much everything unusual about me.

My friends, family and closeby relatives should all know by now that I love FiM.

Mix feelings all around..brother doesn't care, dad makes fun of it, mom trying to keep me away from it. Friends are cool with it though they said they had watch an episode but don't like it while my aunt, uncle, cousins don't mind it at all and are happy for me.

As for my friends...saying they know I'm a Brony would be an absolute understatement.

EVERYONE in my school knows I'm a Brony. It took 2-3 times for me to wear a pony shirt before they realized it and I explained what a Brony was. Now EVERYONE knows what a Brony is.

...Which sucks, because I now made all the idiots at school run up to me and say "I'M A BRONY, DUR HUR" all the time. To be accurate, only 4 of those people who have done that have ever watched it. 2 of them are now Bronies, xD

I'm so happy to hear that! It's great having something in common with family like that!

Yeah, but bad news comes with it, it turns out her parents weren't as accepting as I had hoped they would be, she said they didn't like that she watched it. God knows what they would say if they found out their nephew likes it too.

About a week after I first started watching the show back in October (at this point, I had seen the first five episodes and finally decided I liked it xD), I tried to bring it up to my mom. I said "So guess what I found out recently? Apparently there's a new cartoon of My Little Pony that has a huge adult fanbase, both males and females." She was openly disgusted by that fact so I just dropped it at that and am still afraid to tell her to this day. `^^

I told a friend of hers who is basically like a second mother to my siblings and I and she believed the whole Brony thing, lol. I'm still reluctant to tell my siblings. Probably because I love them more than anyone else, making me significantly care about what they would think about me liking a My Little Pony cartoon (or because of my mom's response before I could even bring up that I was included in that fanbase). Sad because they'd probably watch it too - we're pretty close as far as what we enjoy goes, there's not much one of us likes that the other two don't. Maybe I'm afraid of what would happen if I got them into it and then my mom found out (I'm living on my own now, but my siblings are still in high school, so my mom's knowing would have more affect on them than it would on me). Or maybe I'm just worried over nothing. *shrug*

Archived