[Sweet Apple Acres] The Apple Family Reunion [Locked/Ended]

Hippo

Apple Cinnamon saw Applejack dash into a cottage and come out with a fiddle. "Well ah guess ah'm not the only who can play a tune,"

When Applejack started, Apple Cinnamon immediately synched up her playing to the other earth pony. Two two played like they had known each other forever.

"By the way," Apple Cinnamon said as she fiddled, "mah name's Apple Cinnamon from Appleoosa. What's yer name?"

golden_delicious_custom_sig_by_ultimatealejandro-d50bnyn.png

Golden could barely keep up. First of all, the overenthusiastic cousin Braeburn sends him the usual "Appleloosa!" greeting. Then, suddenly, to the tune of music, Red pulled him right out of the conversation just as he greeted Braeburn and got him into a polka dance.

"Here's a good tip for anypony who ever participates in an Apple reunion - don't bother fighting it, go with the flow, else you'll never win. Be the leaf." said the little mind-voice inside GD's head as he done his best to keep up with the merry tunes of the music.

"Not bad Red, but I've got something else in mind." he said to Red. Still dancing to the beat of the music, he leapt onto one of the empty tables and exclaimed, "As I've been working on may technique, I challenge any of y'all to a game of horseshoes!"

It was one of Golden's 'energetic moments', seldom awakened anywhere outside of family reunion. He played horseshoes every time he could, and every time he failed. But, as it was everywhere by Golden's philosophy, it was all about science.

BigMacBanner.png

Mac had been quietly making his way into the maelstrom of apples, a small smirk of amusement on his features as he watches the family enjoying themselves and mingling all over the place - it felt like it'd been such a long time since he'd been around so many of his kin that it was a warm and welcoming atmosphere all around.

Whilst he did enjoy being around the family, though, he wasn't normally one to get too deeply involved with the out-front activities - he normally just liked settling at the back with family members he hadn't seen for a long while and just casually shoot the breeze or simply watch as Granny Smith and Uncle Strudel chatted and laughed like they were school kids again whilst Strudel blasted his horn at any given moment.

Still, there was occasionally the odd couple of events that Mac liked to turn a hoof to now and then, and one of these so happened to be just just what Golden Delicious had decided to out and out announce loudly - a rare moment of enthusiasm for the pony, it was rumored, that only ever occurred in an Apple Reunion!.

"As I've been working on may technique, I challenge any of y'all to a game of horseshoes!"

Macintosh found himself looking over at Golden - a small look of contemplation on his features as he contemplates his immediate reply to the ponies unsually direct challenge...stepping forward slowly towards the fellow Apple as he gives a low chuckle, followed by a small nod of the head.

" Ah reckon ah could take ya'all up on that offer, Golden... " He drawls with an eyebrow raised. " unless somepony else wants t'take up a shot against ya. "

He looks around at the family surrounding their location, watching to see if there were any further challengers likely to emerge - he didn't expect any, of course, but you never knew!

Braeburn smiled brightly as he slid the full saddlebags he had been carrying onto the large picnic table. Smiling broadly he opened up the top on both bags, "well, howdy, kinfolk! Y'all be pleased t'find ah brought all th' tastiest treats from the finest ponies of the best town of the Borderlands, good ol' AAAAAPPLELOOSA!" The first batch of goodies were almost familiar - Appleloosian Apple Pies, but these had an extra fancy touch - a sweet honey glaze over the top crust. "First, of course, the finest apple pies in Equestria! Straight from AAAAAPPLELOOSA! 'cept ah modified th' recipe a bit wit' this shiny sweet glaze here! We got ourselves some new tricks out west!" He grinned and lowered his voice conspiratorially. "Don't tell Granny Smith ah said these were th' best, though! She kin get a mite competitive!"

The pies were followed soon after with some hearty corn bread and sealed jars of pure, golden honey ready to drizzle over them. "The cornbread an' th' honey are from a nice new feller named Honeysuckle, who started an apiary in AAAAAPPLELOOSA. Friendly guy, though he blushes a lot, even when there aren't any fillies around!"

The next batch he brought out were some fancy little flaky apple turnovers, the sort you'd find in a fancy Itailian coffee house - much lighter and more delicate than the normal apple family recipe. They were kept safely away in a little box to keep them from getting crushed, and drizzled lightly with a caramel glaze. "And these lovely lil' pieces were made for me special by Miss Caramel, who runs th' new bistro in AAAAAPPLELOOSA!"

Braeburn wasn't announcing these tasty treats of the west to anypony in particular, just whoever happened to be standing around - but since little Applebloom happened to be standing next to him, he smiled down and gave a playful ruffle of her mane. As the music started to play from various family members, a couple fiddles and a tuba, he smiled happily. The instruments wouldn't go together anywhere else, but it was so familiar as genuine Apple Family Reunion music, the one place you could hear it - and it made Braeburn feel like he was home. Braeburn would certainly have joined in the dancing, except that he heard an even more alluring idea from his cousin Apple Bumpkin - a game of horseshoes! What good old fashioned earth stallion could resist competitive sports? "Why, cousin Bumpkin, Ah reckon ah'll be right tickled t'beat y'all at a game or two of horseshoes for the pride of AAAAAPPLELOOSA!"

ApplePiebanner2.png

She had been trotting around stealthily for a while now but it was just at this moment that she tore out from behind a bush and gripped herself straight onto Braeburn's front hoof. She held on tight and gave Braeburn a sort of uneasy smile as she looked around at all the other ponies who were family but she only knew who a few of them actually were. She hadn't actually ever met a majority of her family for a long period of time other then at the Family Reunions or at other Apple Family gatherings. She was pretty content just being right next to Braeburn but she was still unsure of why he dragged her away from work to bring her here. There was no work for her here, and she was told to have this thing called 'fun' which was all but a foreign concept to her. She wasn't wearing her signature bonnet today since she wasn't out working so her green mane fell just to the side of her face and bobbed with almost every movement that she did. She let out a small sigh as Braeburn accepted a duel of horseshoes with their cousin Apple Bumpkin. She had played Horseshoes once, it wasn't that hard, but she would rather buck apple trees or collect fallen apples over this silly 'game' any day. She looked on as she knew that Braeburn had forgotten that she was even there at the moment until she had grabbed onto him.

AppleBumpkin2withtextattmept2.png

With a giggle she curtsied to Braeburn.

"Well 'Ah'll be more then obliged to beat you then Braeburn." She couldn't stop giggling at the thought that Braeburn had hopes of winning against her. Back home when she wasn't collecting the apples or at market, she played Horseshoes with the chicks. Granted they were not very good at it and often cheated by taking the horseshoe in their beaks and running it down to the stake but she got used to it. As if almost on cue Sleepy emerged from inside of her Hoofkerchief and with a sigh Apple Bumpkin patted the small chick on the head as it started chirping.

"Now how in the blazes did ya'll stay in my hoofkerchief all day an me not know it?" She asked the small chick as it jumped out of where it was sleeping and resting on top of her head with what seemed to be a sly grin on its face.

"Do pardon me Braeburn..." She had started before she noticed Apple Pie streak past and grab onto Braeburn. "Oh, Hello Apple Pie!" She said before she returned to her previous thoughts. "Sleepy here decided it would be funny ta sleep in my hoofkerchief again and go wit me ta the Reunion. 'Ah hope you are not still afraid to lose to me in horseshoes since 'Ah now have mah good luck charm." She gave Braeburn a wink and giggle as the small chick started to chirp again its chirps soft but still full of energy and excitement. "Don' worry bout ol' Sleepy, she'll fall back asleep here soon. All she does is sleep." She giggled again as the chick started to nest itself on the top of her mane.

ajbanner.png

Applejack stopped playing to talk to the new pony. Even though they stopped to talk, several instruments kept on playing, almost seamlessly out of nowhere. There was a tuba, more fiddles, a tambourine, a bango, an accordion, and is that a steel guitar. Yup! It is. "Aw shucks, thanks Sugarcube. But I bet you're way better than me. You got a fiddle cutie mark and all! I'm just good enough to get by." Applejack wrapped her hooves around her. "Well, howdy, partner! I'm Applejack. So are you an apple family pony or are you just hanging out. If you are just here for the food, don't feel bad. We love having company over to hang out with. We WANT you to be part of the family." Applejack shouted over the nearby music to talk to Apple Cinnamon. She was trying her darnedest to make her feel welcome. Kin or not, Applejack treated everypony the same, like family.

For the interest of games of horseshoes, we can have a scoring system in place. I'm not really interested in game mastering this one, but lets just put something in place so that we can have a detailed way of playing the game of horseshoes in a role play setting. Each character takes a turn throwing two horseshoes, throwing them consecutively, not alternatively. The players take turns going first, so the throws are like, A-A-B-B, and the next round would be B-B-A-A, etc. A ringer is 3 points, a leaner, or a shoe within 6 inches of the stake are 1 point. Everything else is a miss. I will allow you guys to do whatever you want. If you want your character to miss so bad on purpose, that's fine, but if you want to be competitive without being over-powering, then use this system. We will roll a twenty sided twice for each horseshoe thrown. So each throw will be the sum of two numbers adding anywhere from 2 to 40. Don't have a twenty-sided die? Neither do I. Go ahead and go to this site. I will not be making the rolls for you. However, I'm willing to keep a scoreboard for you in my posts if you want. http://www.roll-dice-online.com/ Choose 20-sided and roll two dice twice. You should get two rows of numbers like this:

13 - 18

4 - 20

It'll also list the average between these numbers. Ignore this, as it wont be used.

40 ringer

39 ringer

38 ringer

37 ringer

36 ringer

35 ringer

34 ringer

33 ringer

32 ringer

31 .5 inch

30 1.5 inch

29 2.5 inch

28 3.5 inch

27 4.5 inch

26 5.5 inch

25 miss

24 miss

23 miss

22 miss

21 miss

20 miss

19 miss

18 miss

17 <6 inch

16 5inch

15 4 inch

14 3 inch

13 2 inch

12 1 inch

11 leaner

10 leaner

9 leaner

8 leaner

7 leaner

6 leaner

5 leaner

4 leaner

3 leaner

2 leaner

For my numbers, which 13+18=31, is a show .5 inches from the stake, and 4+20=24, is a miss. You can illustrate these misses hitting trees, the broad side of a barn, other ponies, etc.

We will be using the canceling points rule. So the shorter the distance to the stake, the higher the probability that you will get points for that toss. At the very least, it'll be used to keep the opponent from scoring more points. Because of canceling, only one player can score per round. These rounds are called innings. I will not put a point total to reach. You guys can just play 'til whenever.

If any of this is confusing, just roll the dice and tell me the numbers and I'll keep score for you. You can also ignore this system altogether and just ad-live the score, if you want. Remember that this is just a background theme to the actual thread. The point is not to win, the point is to have fun and be a crazy apple pony.

tl;dr - If you want, roll the dice to help decide outcomes of the horseshoe games.

More info:

From Wikipedia:

"In horseshoes, there are two ways to score: by throwing "ringers", or by throwing the horseshoe nearest to the stake. This scoring system gives rise to the popular expression "Close only counts in horseshoes". A ringer is a thrown horseshoe such that the horseshoe completely encircles the stake. Disputes are settled by using a straightedge to touch the two points at the ends of the horseshoe, called "heel calks". If the straightedge doesn't touch the stake, then the horseshoe is a ringer.

One player pitches both shoes in succession to one pit, followed by the other player. This is formally called an inning. Normally only one pitcher can score points per inning, however some leagues and tournaments play "count all", in which all points in each inning are counted. A live shoe that is not a ringer, but comes to rest six inches (6”) or closer to the stake, has a value of one (1) point. This includes a “leaner”. If both of one player's horseshoes are closer than the opponent's, two points are scored. A ringer scores three points. In the case of one ringer and a closer horseshoe, both horseshoes are scored for a total of four points. If a player throws two ringers, that player scores six points. If each player throws a ringer, the ringers cancel and no points are scored. If two ringers are thrown by one player and one ringer by the opponent, the player throwing two ringers scores three points. This is typically called "two dead and three" or "three ringers three" for score keeping purposes. Such occurrences are called "dead ringers" and are still used toward the pitcher/ringer average. Back-yard games can be played to any number of points that is agreed upon, but are usually to 21 points, win by 2. In most sanctioned tournaments the handicapped divisions pitch 50 shoe games, most points win. If there is a tie, the pitchers pitch an additional 2 innings (alternating pitch) until the tie is broken. Championship divisions, or non-handicapped divisions are pitched to 40 points, regardless of the number of shoes pitched

Single points in amateur games must measure 6 inches or less from any part of the shoe to the nearest part of the stake. Also, a game cannot be won when an opposing player, tossing a shoe, bumps an opponent's shoe to cause the opponent to reach the winning score be it eleven or twenty-one. The game winning point must be attained by the person tossing the horseshoe pertaining to his own score. Examples: If a player has 10 points and an opponent has 8 points, and the player with 10 points tosses a horseshoe and bumps his opponent's horseshoe for a ringer, the opponent scores 3 points for a total of 11 points, but does not win the game because of the 2 point rule. If a player has 9 points and an opponent 8 points and the player with 9 points tosses a horseshoe and bumps his opponent's horseshoe for a ringer, the opponent cannot score 3 points, because the winning point must be attained by his own toss. However, the opponent can take two points, bringing his total point score to 10."

Keep in mind that this is not required. If you want to blow me off and use your own system, go ahead. This is really just a suggestion.

GrannySmith1WithText.png

Granny Smith was thrilled to see so many Apples at the reunion this year. It gave the elderly mare a sense of satisfaction to watch them descend upon the picnic tables to eat the many things she had spent the past week preparing for them.

"That's right, everypony, eat hearty! Got plenty of food here for y'all to enjoy!"

No pony seemed to have the heart to stop Apple Strudel from playing his annoying tuba. But when he spotted the horseshoe pit, the gray bearded stallion immediately dropped his tuba to the grass.

"HORSESHOES! i VOULD LOVE TO PLAY DEE GAME! I vas dee Germaney Champion, back in mein colt days!"

Though she'd never say it outloud, Granny Smith was glad her younger brother decided to stop playing his tuba. Now, she only hoped that nothing would inspire him to yodel. Given the choice, Granny would rather hear his awful tuba music than hear her baby brother's off key yodeling.

Apple Cider steps off of the express, back from her return trip from Canterlot. She absolutely loved socializing with the rich ponies there, and she considered herself one of them for all intents and purposes. She was the Cider taster in a long line of Cider tasters originating from the Apple family's cider making days. A cutie mark consisting of three apple cores rested on her flank, along with her luggage, of which there were at least three suitcases, saddlebags, and a hoof-bag.. which were all resting on the back of a bellhop, whose legs were getting quite shaky from the weight. She quickly used him to move her luggage into Sweet Apple Acres, where she trotted up to meet the rest of her family... In an elegant Canterlotian dress.

"Hello my Family! It has been such a long time.. months! Years even!" she says, such a long time indicating the time between her trip to canterlot and back, numbering fewer than three days. "I have so many souvenirs for everyone. I bought a hat for Applebloom.. and a polished black cane for Grammasmith.. a nice shiny plow cleansing kit for Big Macintosh, a little bone for Winona.. A spider-silk rope for Applejack... Some sveedish chocolate for 'za uncool' Strudel, A Cherry pie for Apple Pie, A Caramel apple for Golden Delicious.. " she speaks for nearly a minute straight, listing off gifts. Eventually she makes it to the end of the list.. ".. and a new Kerchief for Apple Bumpkin." ..and the bellhop pony with the wobbling legs collapses over, Cider's luggage causing an avalanche and landing on the poor colt. "Hmm... Now where did that nice little colt run off to that carried my bags here?.. Oh well. I guess he has other packages to place in ponies houses."

"Mac would you be a dear and help me distribute my gifts?" She says, unzipping a bag which appeared to be packed to the brim, which promptly burst in her face, showering the area around the bag with many different kinds of garments, including her own undergarments. She begins to pick them up one by one, stuffing them back into the bag. "My my my.. I suppose they don't make bags like they used to."

apple_cider_gala_dress_by_jaelachan-d4xg5yp.png

golden_delicious_custom_sig_by_ultimatealejandro-d50bnyn.png

Golden Delicious eyed Big Macintosh carefully. He was truly admirable. A role model, so to speak. He was known for being a quite strong and mighty hard worker, but as it was known, strength wasn't everything. Skill and tactics were equally, if not more, important.

"Veray well Big Mac. I'm up for a match against you." said Golden. Just then he noticed Apple Cider appearing, very happily, with tons of gifts for the family. He greeted her quickly, eager to start the horseshoe match, but she asked Mac to help her with the packages.

"I'll be waiting under the tree bay the horseshoes for when you want to start the game." he said, giving Big Mac time to do whatever else he had to do.

Golden then walked up to the horseshoes and picked one of them up. They weren't heavy and they seemed quite unused, judging by how clean they were. They also had a nice curve to them which could prove to be useful by making the horseshoe fly at an arc and making some miraculous shot.

"Oh, cousin Applejack, could you keep the scores for our game? I'd do it mayself but I gotta focus on the game, y'know." Golden asked Applejack.

Braeburn was feeling pretty happy at the controlled chaos of the gathering - a familiar and very welcome element of a gathering of such a large, rowdy family. He was determined, now everything was unpacked, to spend a little time with as many family members as he could, and for an Apple stallion that meant not only food, but a bit of ribbing and competition as well.

Braeburn was about ready to start the game when little Apple Pie latched on to his forearm with the grip of a scared foal. He figured she wouldn't be far off but hoped that the young filly would be at least somewhat comfortable around her relatives, although such a large gathering could be overwhelming for a pony who wasn't used to crowds. "Oh there you are Apple Pie! I hope everything is alright with ya! We were about to play some horseshoes!" Braeburn gave her a warm smile in hopes of reassuring her that things were alright. He hoped she would socialize more, but figured to let her try at her own pace, with a little encouragement.

Smiling broadly at his competition, he figured first thing in order were introductions, especially since Apple Bumpkin brought her own small companion with her. "Apple Bumpkin, this here is Apple Pie! A distant cousin to both you and Ah, but Ah like t'think of her as the lil' sister Ah never had." Really it was more of a combination of sister and daughter. He might only be acting as a long-term foalsitter, but he'd grown quite attached to the young filly. "Ah'll consider her mah own good luck charm as well, although Ah don't reckon Ah'll need any". Braeburn smiled playfully. "What don't y'all go first then."

With Golden Delicious and Apple Strudel stepping up to the horseshoes field as well, Braeburn smiled enthusiastically. "Looks like we'll have more than one game, time for a tournament! Gotta see who is the best player of all the Apples!" Now things were heating up to the stallion's liking.

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

The combination of fiddle and tuba was one that no matter your affiliation was an unusual one. Those involved had talent; Apple Cinnamon played a really mean fiddle, which was funny because he was such a nice pony! Applejack rounded him off nicely, for though she was not going to be mistaken for a master at it, she was competent enough with a violin to hang with him. And Apple Bloom doubted anypony in the world played a tuba as well as her great uncle, even if she didn't really want to conduct the research to find out. It was a sound only an Apple could really appreciate, which was made clear when Bushwack jumped out of her hair and growled at Uncle Strudel. With no hesitation she took Bushwack in hoof and threw him back into her mane, hoping that he would nest in there for a while and not try to scare other ponies, which was impossible anyway because he was so cute!

Apple Bloom danced the dance of a filly with no experience dancing for a few moments, getting lost in the moment(s). This was interrupted when Golden peeled himself off of Red, who was also dancing, and issued an open challenge to the assembled apples for a game of horseshoes was in order. It didn't take long for Big Mac to respond as if Sweet Apple Acres honor was at stake and only he could save it. Soon after, Braeburn and Bumpkin stepped forward to take part in the festivities and it was on, more on than anything else had ever been on. Speaking of Braeburn, he should have been banned from selling apple pies because even though Apple Bloom knew he was wrong- the best pies were made by her sister, of course- her mouth watered as he described the pies. When he left to go partake in the horseshoes, she set upon one of the pies with unbridled joy, diving face first and in a matter of moments the entire pie had vanished from sight. She gave a contented sigh, even as the fillings and crumbs littered her face liberally.

After she was done, she burped and nudged Pink Lady.

"Ah got give bits on Big Mac!"

It was at that moment that Apple Cider arrived. Abby felt too great a joy to really pay attention to what she was saying, galloping towards her and then jumping in for a hug.

"Apple Cider! Ah'm so happeh ta see ya!" Apple Bloom bellowed mere moments before slamming into Apple Cider, the various apple pie fillings and crumbs and general nastiness transferring just as liberally to Cider as it had to Bloom from the pie. She gave her another quick squeeze, heedless of her dress, he gifts, or the mess she was creating.

"Ya should come quick ta tha horseshoes, cuz mah big brother's gonna beat Golden Delicious like one of 'em apple trees!"

Apple Cinnamon smiled and blushed slightly at Applejack's comment. "Well ah may be a fiddler, but ah still have to practice."

Applejack then gave her a big happy hug, welcoming her into the party. "Ah well thank ya. Ah am a member of the apple family, but ah really don' know where ah fit in here in the family. Ah've been living in Appleoosa all mah life, but I guess ah've been so busy that ah guess ah haven't had the time to think about it."

With the mention of food Apple Cinnamon was excited. "Do ya want ta walk with me as ah get some food in me?"

Apple Cider smiled and hugged Applebloom, pulling her close and wrapping her in a warm embrace.

She picks up a handkerchief from the pile of gifts and begins wiping Applebloom's face liberally, getting all of the crumbs and pie fillings off before turning attention to her dress. The handkerchief makes short work of the mess, and she grabs Applebloom's hoof, placing it there after folding it into a little Triangle. "This is a magic handkerchief enchanted by the unicorns in Canterlot to clean any mess. I think it should remain with you." she says, smiling, gently pinching Applebloom's cheek.

"But there is the issue of what to do with this bowler hat and scarf that I was originally going to bequeath to Applebloom.. " after surveying the family she she trots over to Apple Pie, wraps the scarf around her neck, and placed the bowler hat on her head. "There we are." she says, and returns to the pile of luggage, digging through the pile of gifts, examining them and handing them out to the ponies they go best with.

She retrieves a nice plaid Neckerchief from the pile and wraps it around Apple Bumpkin's neck, smiling. "I think this one goes best with you. It's made from Spider Silk, which is far stronger than regular cottons and textiles. I was also told that its a good material for accepting or receiving enchantments placed by unicorns as well."

She was glad to have a family like the Apples. Even though she was adopted into the Apple family they were more her family than her real parents ever were, and she was happy to have them.

ApplePiebanner2.png

She looked around her a bit worried about things that were going on, Braeburn seemed slightly dissapointed in her that she wasn't out talking with the other Apples or being more social but to her all that mattered at the moment was Braeburn and she wanted to just spend some time with him. She nodded her head as she was addressed by Braeburn and referenced in his later acceptence speech of her cousin's challenge. She let out a soft giggle as he called her his 'lucky charm' but the comment about not needing her was a bit as a stab in her chest that she wasn't even worth being his lucky charm. She frowned and teared up a bit but just stood next to Braeburn and wiped the tears from her eyes before she nodded her head firmly. She was going to be the best Lucky Charm ever and was going to make sure that Braeburn did well and she had even been practicing her cheer for him in the meantime that she was working alone. She was ready for the games to begin but she herself didn't want to participate as per the fact that Horseshoes wasn't work, it made little sense to do things that were not work or work related to Apple Pie. She just looked on again and nodded her head some more not even sure what she was nodding about anymore.

"Games, I....You....have fun...." She managed to get out before having to shut her mouth again as she was scared what other ponies would think of her actually talking now since the last time that she had been around all these Apples she wasn't able to talk very well even though her and Braeburn had worked on it a bit back in Appleoosa it didn't really seem to matter since she was still shy and didn't want to actually converse with many ponies there.

With a nod and a huge grin she flipped her mane out of her face and strangely accepted Cider's gift of another hoofkerchief even though the one she had was hoof made by her sister so she would NEVER trade it out for ANYTHING, EVER. She was too full of pride and joy of having the one her sister made to accept anything else since her sister wore a matching one that she had also made. It kept the two of them close in heart and spirit since Apple Bumpkin never took it off, unless it got wet, and even then she didn't keep it off for long.

"Well thank ya Apple Cider! But 'Ah can't trade out mah sisters gift ta me fer yers, just wouldn't be right an' all." She still let Apple Cider tie it around her neck and then adjusted it accordingly. She did look strange now having two hoofkerchiefs around her neck but that would pass once she figured out how to incorporate them both into her attire somehow. She looked about after Cider was done and then shot Braeburn a devious grin.

"Well then, lets get this'n here game on the go!" She spoke in a very challenging tone that stated that she was very very ready for this game of horseshoes to begin.

-Game of Horseshoes between Braeburn and Apple Bumpkin-

Bumpkin tosses her first Horseshoe.

The horseshoe landing 1.5 inches away from the post, just to the left of it. (12+18)

"Oh, 'Ah reckon 'Ah just need ta warm up is t'all."

She prepares and throws her second Horseshoe for the inning. Stretching a bunch and squinting her eyes as she preforms the signature Apple Family Horseshoe Buck.

The horseshoe landing around the post and spinning around a few times from the force. (18+20)

"Now, the game is on!" Apple Bumpkin cheered as she assumed her attack pony pose and then with a giggle backed up to let Braeburn have his turn.

For the game of Horseshoes I will be using River's model for the points system. To keep things fair I am using an automated D20 generator found here:

http://www.brockjone...roller/dice.htm

Simply click the D20 button and it will give you a fully randomized number for your roll.

Please do not cheat (This goes for everypony and not just Apples)

If played proper this game will be fun and very enjoyable so please follow the rules and use the automatic d20 roller OR role one of your own.

Thank you all very much.

PinkLadyBanner.jpg

Lady had been in the middle of enjoying one of Red's deliciously tart and tangy crab apples when she felt the soft elbowing from AppleBloom and heard her comment on betting... a smirk crossed Lady's features as she heard her "A LADY never bets AppleBloom it is simply uncouth!" Before bending down to whisper in the filly's ear "Make it ten bits and you are on, my Money is on Braeburn whooping their flanks"

She was rather surprised that Cider had shown up in such finery for such a backwater family reunion but decided to greet her adopted cousin since she hadn't seen her in a good while ! "Cousin Cider! Why you look like a vision like always" She praised "It's so good to see you! I baked a batch of my famous Apple Cider Cookies just in case you came"

RedDelicious.jpg

Red was soon aware he was the only one dancing as soon Golden had decided to challenge the family to a game of horse shoes, not one for sports Red just shrugged and resumed his dancing all by himself, stomping his hooves merrily to the toon "Yee haw jah!" He called out, that accent thick as anything, but then he pouted hearing a distinct lack of something wonderful "Grandpa!" He called out to Apple Strudel "Why don't you set ze mood and yodel for us!?" He cringed then feeling a thunk as Lady threw an apple at his head.

Bushwack huffed as he got scooped back into AppleBlooms mane but he nestled right the buck down and sighed puffing up to keep comfortable, he'd listen to AppleBloom, he liked her..

Braeburn beamed happily - he enjoyed horseshoes, though what made him truly happy was having so much family around to participate. Nothing made him happier than an apple family tourney - now all he had to do is win it! Braeburn gave Apple Pie a reassuring squeeze of a hug before playfully rubbing her green mane, "now y'all watch as good ol' cousin Braeburn shows everyone how it's done!" He trotted up to the line and smiled warmly,"that's some mighty good throwing there, cousin Bumpkin, but Ah've been practicing"

Braeburn picked up one of the blue horseshoes with his teeth as he confidently trotted up to the line for throwing. He peering down the lane, sizing up the small pole on the other end, then gave a quick swing of his head and released the horseshoe from his mouth. For a second or two, but what seemed almost like an eternity to his following eyes, the horseshoe flew, giving a small bounce off the ground before leaning up against the pole (roll was (2+1) 3 - Leaner). Braeburn reared up in excitement, "YEEHAW! A leaner!! That's a good start right there!" He gave Apple Pie another snug before giving Apple bumpkin a soft pat on the back. "Now watch how the expert, and the best player in all of AAAPPLELOOSA, follows up that throw!"

Braeburn eyed up the pole in an obvious manner as he grabbed the second horsesho, then threw it through the air again. This time, the horseshoe spiraled around the pole to land heavily in the sand ( roll was (17+16) 33 - Ringer). Braeburn bucked in excitement, "Yeehaaaah! A perfect ringer!! How about that!!" He turned to give a proud grin to the assemblage of relatives, "looks like it'll be a close game, family! Ah'm in the lead, but only by one point!" Of course, now it was his turn to throw first, going into the second round, so he had to keep on the pressure.

He gave Apple Pie a wink of confident encouragement as he ruffled her mane, then took up the first of the recovered horseshoes for a toss. He heard the quiet wagers in the background, and looked forward to being able to toss a few bits in on someone else's game. The toss flew casually, bounced through the sand to another leaner (roll was (6 + 3) 9 - leaner); Braeburn smiled "Well, the only thing that can beat that is a ringer, let's see if Ah kin do a repeat performance!" With that he tossed the second horseshoe, already feeling the disappointment as he felt it leaving his mouth wrong. Helplessly he watched it curve to the right, landing a couple inches away. (roll was (18 + 11) 29 - 2.5 inches away). "Ahh nuts and shows, didn't quite make it that time. Still, not a bad toss! Yer turn, cuz!"

Apple Bloom looked at the handkerchief for a few seconds with some trepidation. It wasn't that she was ungrateful, seeing as it was a gift from a family member and even if it was a used apple core she would think it a valuable keepsake. Rather her mind was quickly indexing all of the uses she of all fillies who had ever held a handkerchief had. The hug from Cider was warm and tight and she smiled as she was let go, looking at the handkerchief and shrugging behind Cider's back. She had no ideas for it to be useful, so for now it would just be tied around her neck like Apple Bumpkin.

Apple Bloom trotted over to the pit, where Braeburn had just scored a ringer and whooped and hollered in joy. Apple Bloom started for a second to wonder if she had hitched her wagon to the wrong workhouse and gulped mildly as she Lady leaned down and increased their bet. Just as she was unable to formulate a use for a magical handkerchief, she was equally unable to turn down the path that had been trod along previously by her impudent and excited hooves.

"Yer on Pink, and ah betcha that yer gonna regret pickin' cousin Braeburn bah the time it's all said and done!" Apple Bloom said as she felt Bushwack move around hr head. A light went on and the handkerchief was quickly tossed on Bushwack like a blanket. Success! Magical handkerchief blanket for now, magical handkerchief cleaning tool later.

ajbanner.png

Applejack replied kindly to Apple Cinnamon in the noise. "Why, sure! I'd love to get some food mahself!"

As she walked, she saw Apple Cider, full with a gala dress had her a very shiny rope, told her that it was enchantable with unicorn magic. Applejack didn't really know what to say. She wasn't familiar with magic stuff. Everything Applejack had in arsenal was made by earth pony hooves. She didn't know how unicorn magic could really help her. Alos, she didn't want to be rude, it was very nice of her to give gifts for everypony in the family. "Why- thanks, Cider! I'll go put with the rest of mah ropes."

Applejack hurried over to her utility shed behind the barn. She opened the large wooden door, it creaked as it swung to the pressure of Applejack's hooves. She walked into the shed, chasing several moths and stagnant dust particles that covered the storage building. On the walks were several hooks, perhaps 40, all supporting their own rope. Applejack's collection was very impressive, however, she didn't enjoy this collection as much as she loved using different types of ropes for different types of situation. A magic rope? She wasn't sure when she'd use it. Applejack placed the rope on an empty hook. It's white design sparkled in the shed's darkness and contrasted itself from the other ropes, which all had the same tan colorization. Applejack looked at all of her ropes, and exhaled with satisfaction. She turned around and walked out, closing the shed door behind her.

Applejack met up again with Apple Cinnamon who had been looking at some of the food items. Applejack helped herself immediately by snatching a sandwich off one of the open trays. She chewed excitedly as crumbs flew out of her partly opened mouth. She swallowed, and burped. "That's good eaten."

She was then approached by Golden who had asked her to keep score. "Sure! I can keep score for ya!"

https://docs.google....wRhY/edit?pli=1

https://docs.google....d4bElqU2c#gid=0

Apple Cinnamon walked with Applejack towards the food area when the hostess was summoned by another pony. After taking care of something in the barn, she rejoined the mare at the table.

"Hmm... everythin' looks nice here. Ah' don't know what ta try first." Her eyes then spotted an apple pie amongst about several apple related desserts. "Can't go wrong with some apple pie," she said as she cut a slice and placed it on a plate. "Wow! This sure is the best pie ah tasted in a while."

Applejack then disappeared again this time to officiate a horeshoe's game. "Never played horseshoes before, but ah guess ah'll try." She made her way to the horseshope area eager to start. "Can anypony tell me how ta score in this game?"

(OOC: I've read the rules, but thought I'd add some RPing for it.)

apple_cider_posting_banner_by_jaelachan-d535apx.png

Excitedly, Apple Cider ttakes one of Pink Lady's cookies, tasting it in small, ladylike bites. "Mmh. These are quite delectable." she says, chewing a bit, touching a handkerchief up to her mouth. After a few bites she finishes it and tucks the handkerchief back into a hidden fold of her dress. "Thank you." she says, beaming.

After she finished a cookie Apple Cider steps up to the sticks sticking out of the ground and examines them, wondering exactly what they're for, or how to get the horseshoes to stick to the metal stick. "Maybe its magnetic?" she thinks, internalizing her thoughts for a moment before bursting out rather abruptly with another thought.

"Horseshoes you say? And the point is to throw.. horse..shoes and get them to land on these sticks? Surely you are jesting, fair cousin! That's so silly. But I shall try it if everypony else is playing these.. horseshoes." She pauses to pick up one of the metal horseshoes.

"Why.. these don't look like horse shoes at all.. I'd even go as far as to say that these aren't shoes at all. Where are the laces? Or the silk or the seams? Who would wear such an uncomfortable looking shoe? How does one put on a horse-shoe? Are there laces that you have to tie around your hooves? That sounds simply uncouth! How silly... " she drones on about proper shoes for minutes before actually trying to pick up a horseshoe.

"Celestia's flank, this is heavy..! Whoever would wear such a heavy shoe? It must be absolutely impossible to move around in.. They must weigh ten pounds.." she labors quite intensely and manages to lift one of the shoes, holding it up like one would a shot-put. "Who shall be my opponent? She says, laboring to keep the shoe hoisted, bracing her hoof with another hoof."

ApplePiebanner2.png

With a huge grin and a giggle she looked on as Braeburn preformed so well in front of all the on lookers. She stood up on her back hooves and stuck her front left hoof out and her front right hoof up as she managed to mutter out a emotionless.

"Yay, go Braeburn." Before she stumbled and slipped on the grass and fell on her back but she was quick to right herself and resume her stance on all fours as she straightened up as Braeburn ruffled her mane. She was glad that he was feeling so good now and that made her happy and excited as she looked on to the game that she was starting to see was more then just tossing horseshoes. She narrowed her eyes trying to figure out how they were keeping score of the points or how the points were even awarded but it just seemed a bit too complicated, unlike bucking apple trees. With a gentle tug on Braeburn's hoof she pulled his head down and whispered in his ear.

"Next round, may I try and throw one?" She was only wondering since now the game actually seemed sort of entertaining. After she let Braeburn return to his standing upright position Apple Pie looked around as more and more of the family made their way over to the Horseshoes area and began to play their own games of it.

Apple Bumpkin gritted her teeth as she saw the two amazing pitches of the last round and his two almost as amazing pitches of the new round. She took a deep breath and pitched her first horseshoe.

(19+13=32) It was a ringer, but just barely. She looked on and let out a sigh of relief as it landed around the post. She wasn't sure exactly how her aim was so off today but she knew that it wasn't something that bad to worry about right now since she had another pitch before the round was over. She quickly picked up her other horseshoe in her mouth and with Sleepy finally awakening to yawn she spins around and throws the horseshoe with almost a sniper's accuracy towards the post. (20+19=39) It was another ringer, but this time it was near perfect. She looked on with excitment this time as the horseshoe spun around the post a few times before losing its pull around the post and landing just against it as a leaner. She let out a sigh and returned her face to that of determination. She knew that she could preform better and she knew that it was just practice at the moment. She let out a giggle and turned to Braeburn and Apple Pie.

"Wow, ya'll really are good Braeburn! But 'Ah have been off my game so ya'll better get ready for our final round, its going to be a no holds pitchoff for the title of best Horseshoe-er of the Apple Family!" She giggled as she hyped not only herself but Braeburn as well. The young mare was so full of excitement now that she was almost to the point of Pinkie Pie and bouncing all over the place instead of trotting there.

She grabbed her next Horseshoe and pitched it, it landed a mile away from the post (1+1=2) With a frowning face she picked up her last Horseshoe for the round and spun around a few times before launching it from her mouth at the post. It landed with almost straight on accuracy...decently far away from it. (12+8=20) Apple Bumpkin let out a sigh and looked on wondering what in the world was throwing her game off so much now. Then it hit her, Sleepy was awake now and was unbalancing her. She let out a giggle as the thoughts ran through her head and she shook them as quickly as they came.

GrannySmith1WithText.png

Granny Smith was pleased with all she was seeing all around her. All of the Apple Family relatives seemed to be enjoying themselves and helping themselves to all the food laid out on the picnic tables, the food she had prepared ahead of time and all the food the family members brought themselves. She was also happy that Uncle Apple Strudel had set his tuba down to gallop off to play horseshoes. Granny was half-tempted to hide her baby brother's beloved tuba so he wouldn't play it anymore, but then thought better of the idea and left it where it was. As Granny looked on, Apple Strudel heard Red's request.

"JA! Dat is a good idea, mein grandson!" the bearded stallion said as he began to turn around to return to his tuba. Looking away, he didn't notice Red getting hit with an apple for asking him to play again.

"Er, brother," Granny Smith said with a smile. "There'll be plenty of time fer.. yur tuba.. later on. Don't wanna tucker yurself out so bad that ya can't play horseshoes."

"You are right, mein sister," Apple Strudel said, turning back around to walk over the hill, approaching the horseshoe pit to find that there was already a game going on.

"Hello mein family!" Apple Strudel shouted. "May I play dee vinner of dis match?"

Braeburn took off his Stetson and rubbed his own yellow and orange mane as he watched his cousin score two ringers in a row, meaning she had won that first round. "Well shoot, y'all had some mighty fine throws there, cousin Bumpkin! Are y'all sure y'all ain't secretly from AAAAPPLELOOSA! yerself? Watch out though, cuz it's best two of three, an Ah'm plumb determined t'make a come back!" Braeburn gave a playful wink.

Braeburn watched in surprise as Apple Bumpkin tossed the shoes, both shoes flying wide. He was glad to have a chance to catch up - but he preferred a nice, close round. "Well, rotten luck theah, cuz. Not up ta yer usual standards, but don't let yer spirits get too dampened! Ah'll wager yer next throws'll be enough to almost be enough t'catch up t'these great tosses!" Of course he was still determined to win. Braeburn placed his Stetson on Apple Pie's head and gave her a fatherly smile, "If'n y'all wouldn't mind watching' this fer me, Ah'll give these ol' horseshoes some of my patented throws."

Braeburn grabbed the first horseshoe and gave it a good pitch. Like his cousin, his initial throw wasn't that good, but it wasn't that bad - several inches from the pole, enough to already put him in the lead! (roll was (10 + 5) 15 - 4 inches away). Braeburn hummed to himself before picking up the second horseshoe. He narrowed his eyes, stuck his tongue out the side of his mouth, and gave the second shoe a nice high lob, watching it as it bounced on the ground and then again, to leaned up against the pole. (roll was (7 + 1) - 8 leaner) "Yeeeehaw! Not too shabby!" Sure, it wasn't great, but it beat Bumpkin's throws, giving him the point for the first half of this round. Now he just had to take it home!

Braeburn picked up another horseshoe and gave it a good lob, like the previous one, it bounced and landed up next to the pole, a good throw that could get him this round! (roll was (9 + 1) - 10 leaner) He was about to toss the second horseshoe, but was interrupted when his little cousin ask him if she could try. Braeburn hesitated, but only for a second - he wanted to win, but it was more fun to do things with family, and Apple Pie never spent nearly enough time having fun like she should. "Sure thang, y'all come on over and yer throw here! It will be our final throw for this round! Less'n, of course, cousin Bumpkin is scared of yer toss?" Braeburn gave a teasing grin over to Apple Bumpkin, and gave Apple Pie a reassuring hug for good measure. No matter how she did, it would be worth it.

Standing back to wait for Apple Pie to throw her first horseshoe, he heard his grand-uncle Apple Strudel ask if he could play the winner. That made Braeburn's ears perk up, was Strudel that good? Braeburn hoped that he was, it'd be great to see the old stallion be far more skilled at horseshoes than at tuba playing, "sure thang, uncle Strudel! Soon as we're done beatin' cousin Bumpkin here!"

Watching the game of horseshoes unfold made Apple Bloom very slowly regret picking her cousin Apple Bumpkin. Here she had thought that Bumpkin and her down-home Equestrian proper technique could be able to outduel Braeburn and his pioneer style. Unluckily, however, Braeburn was just plain better and the game was less a contest and more of a one-sided beat down. Apple Bloom started to fear for her meager allowance of ten bits just as she started to fear being wrong just this one time in a completely non-essential game. She wasn't a super competitive pony, but she also disliked having to pony up and give away bits all that often.

Apple Bloom gulped as the game continued, laughing nervously as she nudged Pink Lady.

"Yeah, tha's one fun an' totally nawt real bet we jus' made, right?" She said with a laugh followed by a sincerely worried smile as she turned back to Bumpkin, who seemed to be a wee bit down. Apple Bloom started to feel bad for considering her bet the centerpiece of the last game.

"Awww naw c'mon cousin Bumpkin! Ah'm sure ya're gonna win the next game!"

ajbanner.png

Applejack put her foreleg around Apple Cider. "No no, Sugarcube, these horseshoe's aren't fer wearin', they're just made specifically for the game. If you want to play, I think Golden will play with ya! I can keep y'alls score for ya!" Applejack walked from Cider to Golden Delicious and winked at him, giving him a go for fair competition, as he looked eager to play.

Applejack had seen her brother Big Macintosh start to peel into the background of the family. He always did allow himself to get swallowed up, and for an apple pony, he sure did seem to not like the pony crowds. Applejack walked up to her brother and shoved an apple in his mouth. "What's the matter brother? Why are you being such a background pony?" Applejack knew her brother wasn't the social type. But she thought she would poke at him this time to maybe get himself adjusted to the family's nonsense and to make sure Big Mac wasn't having sad thoughts about who-knows-what.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvFYk1O5HrSrdG5vcUI0X2N5RmVhUF9qbUd4bElqU2c#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ow9eXKztzI87Ga3jpIEIgrJ4CIYqzhgufdp5N0ewRhY/edit?pli=1