[Sweet Apple Acres] The Apple Family Reunion [Locked/Ended]

Hippo

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

Apple Bloom couldn't contain the amount of confusion that burst forth from her like a radiating sun. Not only did Apple Pie have the oddest way of speaking, but she had apparently not see Apple Bloom just decimate the table of food items, nor how she was bouncing up and down in excitement about doing something else. maybe Apple pie was so busy being an adorable and intelligent little filly that she couldn't process what was going on with the equally adorable, less intelligent, but far more excitable filly next to her. Oh well; not everypony was in the throes of a sugar rush like Apple Bloom was.

She stopped her bounce and quickly shot a hoof onto Apple Pie's forehead, checking for a fever of some sort. She had to make sure that her relation wasn't suffering from some sort of illness that was forcing her to see things.

"Naw, you FEEL fine!" Apple Bloom said before laughing, "Ah already ate, Ahpple Pie, but Ah'd be happy ta let ya have a snack and then we can go an' check out mah clubhouse! Why, Ah reckon its the finest treehouse this side of Equestria. And you sure do talk all fancy like. Where'd you learn ta talk so good?" Apple Bloom asked as she started the trot back to the table. Along the way she could no longer deny her desires and started to hop. Sugar was the greatest thing!

-

Caramel saw her chance and didn't hesitate. The finances from Apploosa were far better than she had feared and truthfully near where others had hoped. She wasn't content with allowing that to just be the facts, however, as she had a whole bushel of information that still pegged it as a bad decision. She wasn't a pony completely averse to risk, just mostly, and that stunt being pulled over in the west was mostly a risk. It had never made sense to her but then again maybe she was just a bad apple pony who looked at numbers and figures and facts and evidence as opposed to following whatever wild whim broke through defending logic and took to resting on top of the heart.

Caramel made her way through the crowd- hard to imagine that this mass was their extended family or that any family anywhere could contain so many- which still managed to hold tight over the horseshoes. Applejack and Apple Cider were dueling in the time honored tradition of tossing shoes around rings. Caramel knew how to play but she couldn't make the leap required to have it make sense: Those were shoes. They were meant for wearing. Why throw them? It was odd but she wasn't about to criticize how others had fun. No, she had the much more vital mission of criticizing another family member's critical life decisions. That, oddly enough, she felt entirely comfortable doing.

Caramel broke through and found her target Braeburn, who was currently in the middle of a conversation. Caramel prided herself on being polite just long enough to not get slapped in the face, and did just that here. Braeburn had asked a question a wee moment before caramel had arrived and she stood there, allowing Pink Lady to answer. Once she had, she slapped on a smile and allowed her eyes to bore a hole through Braeburn's skull, plant a flag, colonize it, then start beating him down from the inside. Her voice was kind too.

"Hey Braeburn, mind if I steal you for a quick conversation?"

Braeburn smiled to Big Mac. "Well, howdy, Big Mac! Bout time y'all came over an' socialized with us ponies! Apple Cinnamon here was jus' askin' me bout family an' whatnot." He turned back to Apple Cinnamon and gave her a bright smile, “Well, Ah reckon Ah'd have t' say that it's mah fault much as anypony's. All Ah kin do is try t'make it mah personal goal t'know everypony ah kin in good ol’ AAAAAAPPLELOOSA!“ Of course, trouble of being an orchard farmer, even in a community as close knit as Appleloosa, was that he got so busy for so long working his orchard all by his lonesome. “I most likely seen your orchard, walked past each and every one in AAAAPPLELOOSA! Haven’t always had th' chance t' talk with the owners, though; reckon Ah walked by yours. Y'all know how it is, always work to do.”

As he shifted subjects to family relations, Braeburn brightened up considerably. If there was something he prided himself on almost as much as farming, or horseshoes, it was genealogy; all part of being in such a large and proud clan. “Well, Cinnamon, being the granddaughter of Prairie Tune, the elder brother of our beloved matriarch Granny Smith, that makes y'all second cousin tah mahself and Pink Lady here, and first to Apple Bumpkin over there.” He pointed to his pink maned cousin, who seemed recovered from her horseshoe loss. “Ah reckon y'all already know her.”

The goldenrod stallion then grinned to Big Mac. He nudged his cousin in the side, “so, have y'all gotten over that shyness and found somemare t'help ye add t' the family tree?" Braeburn looked over at Bumpkin who was still sitting there eating next to them, “ah'm sure Bumpkin here has!” He would have said more, but Caramel pressed for his attention. "Be right back, cuzzes! Ah reckon cousin Caramel needs a bit of one-on-one!"

Apple Cinnamon listened intently to what Braeburn had to say. He was the only Apple pony from Appleoosa that she knew, so getting to know him was vital to getting to know the rest of the family.

"Awww you don't have to apologize sugah'! It's mah fault as well fer not seekin' you out mahself in Appleoosa."

She then listened to Braeburns extensive knowledge. It brightened her heart to hear that she was at least a first cousin to some and a second cousin to others.

"You know somethin' that makes perfect sense! I heard that mah' grandpa had another child besides mah father. Ah' never knew how many kin ah' had from that side. But thanks fer tellin' me this, cousin! And ah' guess ahm' yer second cousin too Pink Lady! Actually, that's how ah' found mah tallent when ah found mah grandfather's fiddle."

Braeburn then left to talk to another pony he knew.

"Well alright then. Ah'm going to talk to Apple Bumpkin over here."

He then turned to the pony who was eating next to her.

"Howdy there!"

ajbanner.png

Applejack dropped her jaw as Apple Cider hit a ringer, and then almost accidentally hit another ringer, but coming just short of the stake. After four rounds, Applejack was getting the worst luck while Cider seemed to be having all the dominoes fall in her direction. Applejack touched Cider's dusty shoulder to keep her from continuing to round five. "No no, Sugarcube, that's enough, you beat me." Applejack sighed in her defeat. "Usually we play at least ten rounds, but I think it's best we stop right now. I mean, you won!" Applejack smiled. "You wouldn't wanna give me a chance to come back and beat ya, would ya?" Applejack feared that Cider might actually say yes, so she just kept on talking. "Welp, I'm gonna go say hi to a few of my cousins I haven't had a chance to talk to yet. I'll be around."

Applejack heard Apple Bloom's suggestion that ponies should check out the Cutie Mark Crusaders' Clubhouse. Applejack agreed. "That's a great idea, sis!"

Applejack looked around at her relatives and covered everyone with thoughts of sister pride. "Mah sister and her little friends did a good job fixin' that ol' tree house I had when I was a young sprout." She nudged Braeburn. "You know the one, right, Braeburn? The one where we used to play cowponies and buffaloes?" Applejack chuckled as she recalled. "Remeber that time Granny refused to make dinner for us and made us eat hay in the barn because we used up all her pies to have a backyard battle? Heh, heh, those were good times."

Applejack then noticed Caramel was around and Big Mac and Braeburn were talking about apple trees being donated to Appleloosa. She decided to try and include her, not know exactly what her conversational intentions were. "Hey Caramel! How's the orchard in Filly goin'? You gonna donate a tree to Appleloosa this year?"

If Caramel had been a cold blooded creature, Applejack would have killed her right then and there. Her blood froze and her hair stood on end as the family's only financially aware mare was subtly parasprited by the family's arguably most famous member. Applejack knew exactly how little Caramel approved of the foolishness that was Apploosa and how despite her warnings, her great and sustained wails, her pleas and desires, she had been overridden and shuffled off to the side while the family warmly embraced the bit sink that was Buffalo Run.

She remembered the entire ordeal, being the huge and seemingly everlasting headache it was. When was it that the apple family decided to take such a huge part in the foolishness that was a settlement on the edge of a desert? It was too long ago. Why did so many support it? Was it that risk-taking and exploratory blood that flowed through each of them as the descendents of pioneers and settlers? Whatever cause one had for supporting it, the foalish nature of it was beyond apparent. They had no trees there and yet would need to produce immediately. She understood the possibility of a near-limitless orchard was appealing to some but long before they reached such mythic success they would run into problems nearly as vast and not nearly as mythic. Trees, healthy apple producing trees, would be taken from their homes to jump start a town that straddled the edge of forever. Apple family funding and horsepower would head out and be spent in great sums to provide for the meager possibility of future success where it would otherwise be judiciously used to promote and ensure the prosperity of existing farms and orchards. Even if they wanted to expand, there were so many better areas- the unheralded north was so underutilized and the environment, while harsh, not as hostile as one might think to apples. Apploosa was a bad idea and a waste of resources.

And she had roared that from the top of her Tiny Apple Valley. She had been brushed aside as had her concerns and she watched with no great excitement as trees, ponies, and bits cascaded in. Even her most optimistic projection saw it breaking even only far in the future and nothing had happened since to dissuade her. Their current arrangement with the buffallo took crucial produce out of the rotation and that was on top of everything else going just as predicted, if no worse: They fed themselves and didn't help the family as a whole. This was the natural life cycle of an orchard- eventually, it would turn into a successful orchard. But that wouldn't help the family coffers any time soon. She was right, they were wrong, but they would never know how wrong they were. They operated based on their excited blood and she knew that once engaged with them, there was little she could do to win if the debate was statistics versus emotions. That went double for the duo she was involved with. Braeburn loved Apploosa, dearly so, and why not? His hooves had touched every plank of every building and had helped plant every tree. His sweat had moistened the heat-ridden environment. Apploosa belonged as much to Braeburn as he to it, make no mistake. There was something to admire in that, even if it was still a stupid move.

And then there was Applejack, who Caramel loved dearly but found equally frustrating. Few Apples could be called mathematically inclined but she seemed to harbor an active dislike of the whole process, meaning any discussion with her regarding the facts behind the family's success was to be met with some manner of confusion and a retort based on emotions and the love of family or something else that they believed were the cause of all success all the time. There would be a time when little Apple Bloom would have a say and Caramel knew for a fact that once she was involved at least somepony at Sweet Apple Acres could conquer math beyond the most basic addition. Still, as frustrated and annoyed as Caramel was, she saw no need to be rude.

Well, she might've been a little.

"I think not, Applejack. If I wanted to get rid of a tree that bad I'd just send it to Roam," She said with a sly smile, jabbing at them both with the memory of her Roam proposal. That had been her financially sound and utterly unromantic alternative to Apploosa that had collected more tumbleweeds in support than it had thinking minds. She turned back to Braeburn.

"So, when will you send the financials to Tiny Apple Valley? I admit that I'm quite anxious to see them. At your pace, the family savings might recover by the time Apple Pie is an elderly mare," She asked in a somewhat passive-aggressive tone as befit a mare scorned and then proven to be correct. Being right had never felt right.

GrannySmith1WithText.png

Granny Smith was still surveying all of the picnic tables when she heard Applejack mention an incident the elderly mare remembered all too well. She quickly turned and tried to run towards her granddaughter to get in on the conversation.

"Yur durn tootin' I was mad about that!" the gray maned mare shouted. "You youngin' took all them pies I have spent the whole live long day a-bakin' and used'm fer yur silly little game! Good food like apple pies ain't meant ta be used like that! And if'n I catches ANY of you other youngin's takin' my pies and usin'm fer target practice, I'm a gonna turn ya over my knees and give ya a paddlin' whar yur fur is the thinnest!"

The story had really 'struck a nerve' with Granny Smith. She so hated to see good food wasted! The elderly mare now shook in rage as Uncle Apple Strudel galloped up to her.

"Mein sister!" the breaded stallion yelled out. "Vhy are you so angry und upset?"

"I'll tell ya why!" Granny yelled before she got a sudden blank look on her face. "Er, what was I a-sayin'?"

P2JuY.png

Apple Fritter hastily ran into the area for the reunion, and looked around, and saw that nopony seemed to care that she was late. EXTREMELY late, no less. She couldn't decide whether this was a blessing, or she should be insulted. Either way, she was just happy to finally be here. She looked around and saw most of her family having a good time, and smiled. She looked over her shoulder and saw Applejack talking to Caramel, and decided that AJ should be the first pony she should talk to. Apple Fritter trotted up to Applejack, and smiled at her. "Hay there, AJ! Sorry ah'm late, but my apple orchard needed tendin' to, and ah couldn't just leave it alone." Apple Fritter laughed. "E-Even if ah only got a couple trees..." She finished nervously. "Anyway, is there sumthin' ah can help with?" She asked. "Cuz if not, ah'll just look around, ya know, see what ya got here." She said happily.

AppleBrownBetty-1.png

Betty will admit it, she was late! The train had gotten stalled on the way but the older mare had arrived! Just in time to hear passive aggressive digs about her son’s life work! His Magnum Opus to be precise and that had gotten AppleBrownBetty’s Dander right up! She couldn’t be MORE proud of her boy and to hear Carmel make a dig at him like that had right soured the family mood . “Well now just one dang minute here now!” She said strutting over to Carmel, AJ, and Braeburn “Ah don’t show up an when ah do I Come in to Lil Carmel badmouthen Appleoosa?” She asked narrowing her gaze at the other .

“Carmel Ah can understand yer right sore about yer own idea not collecten interest but it’s not vereh Family –like ta talk that way to Braeburn” She frowned “Ah reckon you should keep those sour grapes of yers to yerself “ She added moving to tip her Stetson back having said her piece. Her attention was turned to her Baby whom was with Somepony else but Betty didn’t care “BRAEBURN!” She moved to pull her youngest son into a tight tight hug and grinned “Ah missed you! Lookit you!” He really did look happy too.

Once releasing her son from her pony death grip she had managed to catch the tail end of her own dear Momma’s rant about food wasting “Mama!” She called out going over to the old mare, “An Uncle Apple Strudel is here too!? Well whoo-ee! Ah’m Mighty sorry Ah was late but there was a dern cow hoggin up the rails fer bout 30 minutes!”

RedDelicious.jpg

Red listened intently to his grandfathers story and grinned “ Wow” He whispered to himself, moving to the table to snag the flakey baked treat he had made himself with his little tart and sweet crab apples, offering it to his grandpa “Here zen! It might not stand up to a Legendary Apple Strudel Strudel! But eit is good none the less Jah? I can only hope to vone day be as good as you Grandpa” he said and smiled. He blinked seeing Granny Lose her cool over the lost pies of days past and shook his head chuckling “I do not blame you Granny! I would be mad too if mein work was used to decorate the landscape!” He said and nodded.

PinkLadyBanner.jpg

Lady wasn’t really paying attention to Cinnamon, something about how the other presented themselves made the pink maned mare lose all interest, she heard a brief comment about Her Grandpa but she didn’t comment, turning instead to glance at Big Mac who commented about his ears burning from their words, a small and playful smirk crossed her face “Well lookie-here who up and decided to join the festivities hn?” She asked elbowing the bigger stallion softly “I do right apologize Cousin Mac but you have been just sort of skulking about so I had to draw you out one way or the other” She said flipping her mane slightly “ I was wondering if you would be interested in a Contest hn? An AppleBucking one”

Lady didn’t look it but there was power in those hooves, she was running her own farm near where Red was so she did most of the work herself! And was darn proud of her abilities, she was pretty sure she could stand up to even Big Macintosh himself if she set her mind to it.

Braeburn worked to get free of his family - it never was as simple as just stepping aside with this lot. He smiled and nodded to Apple Cinnamon, "Glad Ah could help! 'Course everypony here is least a second cousin to each other far as Ah kin tell." He tried, again, to follow Caramel when Applejack gave him a nostalgic nudge. "Good golly, ah remember that! An' th' time wi' the tomatoes, too! Had t'spend th' rest of the week doin' chores for that one! One more reason Ah'll have t' take a peek later to see what lil' Abby has done to the ol' tree house." Braeburn laughed, "Good times, 'cept for cousin Mac here when we made him the buffalo and hogtied 'im for a while; Ah reckon he tossed each of us in the pond three times each fer leaving' him like that all afternoon!"

Finally, he'd gotten aside - he thought - but Braeburn's high spirits were killed rather sharply, at Caramel's implications that his orchard was nothing but some money sucking boondoggle. Braeburn actually frowned and looked miffed. "Well now hold on-", but before he could even complete his first sentence, a familiar voice rang out from behind. "Mama?!" Of course Braeburn went from agitated to surprised, and then to embarrassed as his mother passionately defended his pride and joy. She was right, of course, but it was still a bit rattling to be defended by one's dam when one was a grown stallion. What did a pony have to do to get a private conversation round here? "Mama, ah kin-", he had the breath squeezed out of him by a vice-like hug. Still, she was his dam, and Braeburn hugged her back, smiling even with his bewilderment, "I've missed ya."

Finally, though, he got away from the other ponies. "But ah kin handle mahself, don't ya'll go gangin' up on cousin Caramel here. She asked me, not y'all." He turned back to Caramel, his pride wounded and his back up. "Now, y'all should well know, cuz, we did take a hit that first year. Settin' up the farm, building' the house, and plantin' the trees, all cost a bushel of bits, and ah know we'll need a lot of bushels of apples t'pay it all back ... but that's t'be expected with *any* new farm. Now it's a new year, with th' new rail comin' through, an' the new investors buildin' up th' town, we're openin' up into all new markets where we kin sell for a greater profit than we were. Y'all kin go through Appleloosa t'get to th' Northwest markets, an' ah reckon that Las Pegasus would be ripe fer ya to harvest some bits from that low-hangin' branch. Ah guarantee Buffalo Run will make profit; an' we're gonna be out of th' red within five t' ten years, see if we don't! Never count out good ol' APPPPLELOOSA!"

Apple Cinnamon waited to see if Apple Bumpkin would speak with her. Despite knowing her place in the Apple Family and meeting Braeburn from Appleoosa, she felt still a little like a pony in a strange land. She guessed it what the cost of living in a small border town.

Pink Lady appeared to basically ignore Apple Cinnamon. for a brief moment she wondered why. But she resolved not to dwell on that. Some ponies AC knew she just would not be able to be socialize with.

Waiting a little bit, she resolved herself to sample some of the desserts and sit in the picnic area. Then, if no pony would meet with her, she would eventually go and try to seek one out to talk to.

ajbanner.png

Applejack chuckled as Braeburn remembered and added to the times when pies were used as play things. But then she stood back at Granny's piercing anger burst. "Heh, heh. Calm down, Granny!"

Applejack had seen Caramel's attitude before about the Appleloosan Tree Foundation, but she was hoping that her stance might actually change. She was wrong. "Aw, com'on, Caramel, you still think its that bad of any idear? I mean, Ponyville wasn't nothing til our family worked hard to produce an orchard. Now Ponyville is a central hub across the Equestria, a stopping place for traveling ponies, a charming town for people to make their home, not to mention hosts to the best apple orchard in all of Equestria!" Applejack boasted, puffing her chest out with confidence, while at the same time, losing sight of her conversation with Caramel. Before long, she rebounded. "Why can't ya'll just donate one tree? You'll see that it'll be taken care of, you can visit it every month and see for yerself!" Applejack puffed again, this time crossing her legs to illustrate her confidence. Times like these, she didn't need all four hooves on the ground to pick herself up. She had plenty to spare.

Apple Bloom tree fort tour (needs attention)

Apple Bloom

Appleloosan Argument (Stance)

Applejack (For)

Braeburn (For)

Apple Brown Betty (For)

Big Macintosh (For)

Caramel Apple (Against)

Caramel always felt as though she was on the losing end of a game she never wanted to play. It was the case whenever you spoke up in a contrarian manner amongst the Apple family; they closed ranks faster than a snake moved to water in a heat storm. It was an admirable family trait which prevented outsides from sectioning off the weakest among them and slamming the will to be an Apple out of them. It also prevented contrarian views from being expressed unless the views were held by Caramel, who was willing to be disliked to a degree to get her message heard. Even in defeat it was important for everypony to know that she was right and everypony else was wrong, wrong, wrong.

First was Apple Brown Betty, who Caramel loved yet could hardly get to know. She was definitely Braeburn's mother and anypony who had doubts about who he took after was a full blown fool.

"Nice to see you too, Betty. And I wasn't bad mouthing- that implies I am saying something untrue or rude. No, this is not the case. I am speaking only facts here and I may have been a little sore due to Applejack's insistence, but I would not call it badmouthing..." She grew a fake smile, wanting to at at least maintain a degree of reserve around a mare which she was not prepared to face. Aid came from an unexpected quarter as Braeburn leapt to her...well, not at all defense, but he at least wanted to keep it limited to them. She may disagree with every decision he ever made, but nopony could deny he was willing to stand on his own, never behind. Then he opened his mouth and revealed his understanding of her concerns were off-base. It was a mite depressing to think she was trying to dampen such an energetic colt but by Celestia, sometimes Braeburn needed to be calmed down. Maybe then he could see clearly. That would not happen today, however, as he rattled on about how great Appleloosa was and what opportunities it had, forgetting that the entire point was that no matter how well it did it couldn't compete with the other available options.

He was backed up by Applejack, who also shot just as wide from the mark. No wonder she could get every ribbon but blue; if her athletic ability and mental prowess were linked, then Caramel was shocked she was allowed to even compete. The moment the thought came to her she regretted the mean spirited and rude manner that spawned it; she was flustered with three highly talkative and loud ponies around her when she initially wanted to sequester one of them off. She was being Apple-slammed and that was a poor situation for anypony to be in.

She sighed, placing a hoof over her eyes.

"Ponyville was incredibly fertile and you didn't have to take from others to build it, so the comparison isn't all that accurate, 'Jack. And Braeburn, I'm sure it's lovely and I'm sure one day Buffalo Run will prove itself to be profitable," The hoof fell off and it quickly came to point at Braeburn, "But between what it cost the family to start and the more profitable ideas that were denied in favor of it, it doesn't matter. Unless you suddenly start growing Zap Apples, your profit will never be enough to justify it. What's done is done, fillies and gentlecolt, but that doesn't mean I have to like it and it doesn't mean I have to stop trying to talk to y'all about the family's future. Apples grow on trees, but bits don't," She finished, voice rising as she ran out of things to say. Unlike her family, she was a mare of few words. She could launch into a blow by blow account of the process and what unnerved her, but she preferred to just stop talking. She was already surrounded by three excited ponies at a family reunion where there was probably a salt cube somewhere. Risks were not to be taken.

She shook her head and rubbed her temple.

"Listen, all I want to know is when can I, the mare who does the family's financial documentation and fact checking, get those financials from Buffalo Run..." Her eyes softened from the predatory glint that had comfortably shot out before, "and next time we decide to do something like this, please, please, please pay attention to the financial outlooks I send out. I know some of you probably didn't read them-" She none too subtly waved a hoof at Applejack,"-but I spend a lot of time doing it for the future of the family and I feel like no one cares-" She continued, her voice starting to edge upon pleading before she was cut off by a growling stomach.

"...And I'm hungry, I suppose!"

Mac was a little taken aback to find himself being so boldly challenged to a contest by his l'il cousin, Lady - although she always had been somewhat of a plucky sort, which was certainly a pretty admirable trait for a pony who just about came up to his midriff, heightwise.

" Well ah'll be! " mac says with a snerk, looking down at his cousin with a playful smile creeping onto his features - he wasn't about to turn her challenge down, she had the most adorably defiant look on her face which the red stallion found almost endearing. " How could ah refuse, when ya'all look at me like that...reminds me o'Applebloom when she gets pouty! "

Now all that needed for him to address would be the matter of the challenge itself, which was a little something that he'd take care of right now!

" Now if ya'all wanna be tryin' to take a crack at applebuckin' wit me, ah don't see why not - but ah can't see ya winnin'... " he says with a raised eyebrow, a smirk forming on his muzzle - whilst he wasn't often one to instigate challenges, he was never one to turn them down. " but by all means, L'il Lady, ah've got no problems seein' you try! "

GrannySmith1WithText.png

"Er, what was that, AppleJack?" Granny Smith asked, still somewhat confused. Suddenly, her eyes spotted her daughter, Apple Brown Betty. "HELLO BETTY! Don't ya fret none bout bein' late. I'm jist glad yur here! Ya gotta tell me whatcha been up ta lately! Ain't seen ya since the last reunion! When was that?"

Meanwhile, Apple Strudel took a bite of the pastry his grandson had just given him.

"OH! Dis is vonderba!" the bearded stallion shouted as he ate the rest of it quickly. "Dat vas delicious! You have learned dee fine art of baking vell! I am very proud of you! Gutentag, Betty, mein niece! Ya have to try some of Red's pastries! He is a vonderba baker!"

Though he was enjoying himself, Apple Strudel really wanted to perform. Quickly leaping upon an empty picnic table, the elderly bearded stallion addressed the family.

"HAY EVERYPONY! I HAVE A GOOD IDEA! VEE HAVE PLENTY OF MUSICAL PONIES HERE! LET'S ALL GET TOGETHER UND PLAY SOME MUSIC! WHO IS VITH ME?"

AppleBumpkin2withtextattmept2.png

It had been hard for Bumpkin to focus as of late but she then looked around and heard several ponies talking either to her or about her. Braeburn seemed to ask her if she had a special somepony but he had already continued talking and didn't wait for an answer so instead she just blushed and looked back down thinking of the special mare that she had been attempting to be sweet on. Then came Apple Cinnamon, she seemed to walk to talk and that was fine with Bumpkin, it gave her something to do while she contemplated which things to stuff her face with so that she wouldn't talk about the teacher pony who had stolen her heart.

"Oh howdy do Cinnamon! 'Ah guess 'Ah didn't hear ya that clear, must mean its bout time ta go ta that spa in town and get mah ears cleaned." She grinned and giggled a bit knowing that it would go over the Appleoosan's head that they actually had a spa and did such things in it but that was besides the point. "Ya seem a bit down, maybe 'Ah can help. What are ya thinkin bout sugar cube?" With that she grabbed a small morsel and stuffed it into her mouth only to think back to that thing that the teacher was trying to tell her about when eating....Manners was it? Yea, so quickly she took up her spare hoofkerchief and wiped the crumbs off of her face and then swallowed the small Apple and then drank some Lemon Water quickly before turning back to Apple Cinnamon and bowing her head.

" 'Ah'm rightly sorry bout that sugar cube that was rude of me to eat and not invite ya to eat with'n me." She then noticed that Breaburn was walking back this way, now was her chance to tell him about her special somepony...or who she had her eyes set on at least.

"Braeburn!" She yelled out to him disregarding that he and her sister seemed to still be in an entanglement of words. "A moment of yer time when ya have it, please." She added that last bit in with a soft giggle as the blush returned to her face and she resumed sitting facing towards Apple Cinnamon.

ApplePiebanner2.png

Apple Pie just stood and wonder at her cousin Apple Bloom.

"Well whatever you deem as to being fun I guess I can accompany you and we can have all of the fun together?" She attempted to grin and show that she was happy but then her normal serious facade got in the way and her voice fell flat again as her stomach rumbled, with the speed of a Scootaloo (That is a chicken joke) she darted to the tables and got a Apple Fritter and a small glass of Lemon Water and downed both as fast as she could then zipped right on back to her cousin.

"You lead, I shal follow." Was all else that she had to say while she looked deep into Apple Bloom's eyes with her own quizzical gaze. She wasn't used to talking with foals her age let alone fillies who actually wanted to do something with her that wasn't like playing dolls or something, that had really lost its touch when she found the practicality of work and making her delicious apple pies.

Apple Cinnamon was looking over the spread of wwonderful food when Apple Bumpkin was there apologizing for not addressing her. It was an honest mistake one that Apple Cinnamon was sometimes guilty of doing.

"Well no need to apologize sugah'! It happens to me too when a pon'y talkin' to me and ah' guess ah' have mah mind on somethin' else. You said there's a spa in town? Well, if it's anythin' like a beauty salon then it sounds lovely!"

Apple Bumpkin then asked what was wrong with AC. The pony from Appleoosa had a habit of wearing her emotions like a dress rather that keeping them hidden. When she was sad or upset, no matter how hard she tried, everypony knew about it.

"Well ah' guess that ah' wasn't keepin mah poker face now. Well, it's just that ah've realized that ah've been a little disconnected from the Apple family. Ah' really didn't know any pony except from of course mah parents. Seein' how everypony knows each other only increases that disconnect. In fact a'h only learned recently that ah'm the granddaughter of Prarie Tune, an' ah think that makes us first cousins! But ah've been chatterin' on too much. How about you? Where are you from?"

Braeburn still felt pretty defensive in regards to Caramel's comments, and although he didn't want to take it personally, he just couldn't help it to some degree. Buffalo Run was more than just an orchard to him, it was even more than a source of family pride - it was a personal ambition, a dream fulfilled! Even as such, it seemed that them stepping away from everypony for a private discussion just meant everypony kept following along with 'em to butt in. He shared a look of mutual frustrated exasperation with Caramel Apple before continuing.

"Like Ah said, it is good fer th' family! Look at all th' new places Ah jes told y'all our apples will soon get to cuz' of it. That's not somethin' we'd have gotten anywhere else! Jes gotta think long term and not just short term! Every new orchard we've grown done got trees from every other orchard ... it's how we're all one big orchard, one big family!" Of course, he'd committed himself to the idea of the orchard long before he knew of any plans to extend any rails from Appleloosa to new places, but as an argument it sure sounded good. "And y'know that ponies don't work half so hard on a project if'n they're not inspired by it ... y'all have a column for inspiration in those books ah' yers? Ah promise y'all, Buffalo Run will make the family proud! Ah'd get y'all a copy ah th' books with th' next shipment of apples t' Tiny Apple Valley, maybe th' second ... takes time t'copy all them records. But if'n y'all want them fast as possible, then come on out t'see the orchard, see AAAAAPPLELOOSA! It be great for ya cousin Caramel!" Braeburn thought about it for another moment, deciding to toss an extra olive branch, "An' maybe mah new friend, Maximillian Rockefilly, will be there for y'all t'meet!"

Satisfied with his rebuttal, Braeburn turned to Apple Bumpkin, giving a half-laugh and patting her shoulder. "Ah'd love a chance t'talk, Bumpkin! Just you Tiny Apple Valley ponies and me! But round here, steppin' aside for a private moment seems an invite t' all an' sundry t' come follow along an' stick their hooves in!" he laughed quietly, not wanting anyone around to feel hurt by the comment. It was, after all, family, and pretty much expected!

Tried to find a way to fit Apple Fritter in here but couldn't without the conversation being very awkward. She can approach him (or another pony) though

AppleBrownBetty-1-1.jpg

Betty resisted an eye roll hearing Carmel's bit but she gave her a soft smile "I know y' mean well Carmel but yer words have a way of cuttin like a knife" She explained "I didn't right mean to snap on ya but I don't want Braeburn to be discouraged or nothin, I'm so proud of im going out there on is own and striving to make something of imself... it's all a mother could ask fer I do reckon... seeing her brood go up and be on their own and gettin their own wings.. er.. metaphoric wings if'n cry yer pardon" She chuckled since they were all a lot of earth ponies after all! Even if some of them had their heads high up in the clouds like a pegasus...

She took a few steps away to give Braeburn and his cousins space, not wishing to crowd them since she could tell she'd embarassed Braeburn, even if she didn't mean to! Glancing at Granny she grinned one of her best grins "I reckon we do got a lot of catchen up t' do Mama, I'v been workin at Big Apple an the Farm's just a BUSTLIN! Carmel's mouth would salavate at th' sheer income that's pourin in this year from th' apple products alone!" She was very proud of her little patch of heaven she was thriving on. "I'v missed yeh a great deal though" She was the middle child after all and was a bit of a mommy's girl, moving to pull the elder mare into a warm and not near as bone crushingly tight embrace.

PinkLadyBanner.jpg

Lady hmphed at Big Mac's challenge and stood up tall and straight "I do reckon I could buck with th' best of them Cousin Big Mac! AND I betcha five bits I not only hold my own but that I out buck you , I might not be bout as big as a train caboose like you are but that don't mean I don't pack a might wallop!" She exclaimed, cantering towards a nearby apple grove so that they could do this contest proper, feeling relived they were leaving because she heard AppleStrudel trying to strike up more.. "Music" that probably involved his dang Tuba! That wasn't music that wasn't even in the same zipcode as Music! Ugh! Why?

RedDelicious.jpg

Red was glowing from the compliment that Strudel gave him, a grin going from ear to ear as his grandpa's words went inside him and made him feel all warm and tingly "Jah? Thank you.." He hugged his Grandpa tightly before he grinned as wide as ponyly possible! " Oooh Jah jah! Wunderbar! Music und dancing! Oooh and ve can yodel too!" He was so excited at the idea that he stomped his front hooves, seeing his Cousin Apple Fritter and moved to quickly grab her "Come Cousin Fritters! We shall dance!"

ajbanner.png

Applejack nodded at Braeburn's rebuttal towards Caramel, who seemed to be more and more disinterested in fighting. But in a context of struggle and conflict in an argument, whether it mattered or not, Applejack was not going to let it go. And this one mattered anyway. "Now, Caramel, that's not even fair. You should know just like the rest of us that our family's business is a give and take. And besides, we have extended family too, the customer. Every customer I deal with, I make sure is satisfied to the best of mah ability. Even if it means I'm having to give to them. Because when they repeat business, it not only puts Sweet Apple Acres in good standing with the towns-ponies, but it also increase the possibility for profit further down the road."

Applejack grabbed Caramel, whether she liked it or not. She was determined to get through to her. "And what you gotta understand is the reason why we do this in the first place. We don't just grow apples because we like to eat 'em. We don't just sell our apples so that we can pay the mortgage. We don't just satisfy our customers so that we can have good reputation. We do this for one primary reason, to serve our neighbors and our customers with our special talents, which in this case is harvestin' and growin' apples. And the moment you focus too much on how profitable somethin' is, you lose focus on the real reason we're doin' it in the first place. To serve ponies with our talents."

Applejack let go of Caramel and continued to preach. "Why, when I was just a little filly, and I got my cutie mark runnin' back to the farm from the city, I realized what my purpose was in life, and it didn't have nothin' to do with how many bits it would give me. It had everything to do with the service that the orchard provided the town of Ponyville. Caramel, I have heard of distant pony towns that don't have access to an apple orchard. Their meals are lacking the best fruit in all of Equestria. And maybe a visit to one of those poor pony families during one of their apple-less suppers will get you to realize why the Appleloosans are doing what they are doing. They do it for them."

Applejack wanted to let Caramel know she wasn't totally against her. Of course, Caramel did have a point. "And ah'm mighty sorry about those profit report card thingies. Ah'm not too good with numbers, ya know! Heh, heh." Applejack joked along. But it really wasn't a joke. Applejack knew that making money was important for upkeep on the farm, and she was business savy herself. She understood Caramel's concerns. She just didn't think Caramel was painting the whole picture in her head. And even at that, she knew that Caramel might have some of her own colors to add to that painting that no other Apple family pony could provide. Caramel was just as important to the family as anypony.

• Like 1

GrannySmith1WithText.png

"I sure miss you too, Betty," Granny Smith said during her tearful embrace with her daughter. These were tears of both joy and sorrow. Of course, Granny was happy for how successful Apple Brown Betty's farm was doing. But the 'mother' in her will always long to be near her daughter, no matter how old she and herself become.

Meanwhile, the eager Uncle Apple Strudel wasn't waiting for volunteers. Wanting to start the music right away, he brought out his huge tuba and well as his accordian, put in on and began with a long, rambling yodel before he began to play.

"OOOOMMMMMMPPPPPAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! OOOOOOMMMMMMPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" the tuba sounded off, the unmistakable noise vibrating from nearly every corner of Sweet Apple Acres. Apple Strudel felt like a young colt again, tooting the tuba that was wrapped around his body while playing the accordian hanging from his neck. The song was a familiar Germaney folk song, "O Du Leiber Augustin" which he would play the instrumental to and every once in a while, stop playing his tuba to sing the song outloud for all to hear.

The worst thing about dealing with a clutch of ponies who didn't have nearly the same fiscal acumen as Caramel was that she constantly found herself operating on an entirely different wavelength from them. Their points tended to revolve around how great it was to start a new orchard, how much hard work and love went into it and how that then made it great, how it was all about the customers and their talents and other near-moralistic arguments. The sad thing was that she didn't disagree with a lick of it, not a single darn lick of it. Seeing an orchard blossom from nothing was a beautiful sight, one that the entire family could proudly stand behind as a great success that they could each and everyone of them claim as being partially a result of their hard work. It grew the family in so many ways, each and every one of them important. They were right, at least for the most part when they discussed these things, and Caramel wasn't opposed to a lick of it.

That didn't stop them from being wrong.

No, they were wrong, dead wrong, unbelievably, earth-shatteringly wrong when they discussed how the Appleloosan farm opened up new markets or how under any condition it was the best fiscal move. They acted as if the choices presented to them were Applelossa or nothing, which just wasn't true. The other ideas were not as attractive to the constantly mentally mobile ponies that made up the Apple family, but they made sense to Caramel. Less trees needed to be taken from other orchards, transportation was easier, finances were more secure, and in the long term the opening up of the markets was due to an expanding rail line, not orchard location. Sweet Celestia, Tiny Apple Valley sold apples from Roam to Stalliongrad and the family sent a few batches into Griffon territory, even if those few batches were all that was needed for the whole nation. Appleloosa had only one advantage.

Caramel sighed, obviously flustered as the three of them surrounded her.

"I understand what y'all are saying, but the best idea for the customers, for the family, for the finances, for the markets, for everything, was never Apploosa. The only advantage it has, and this is mitigated somewhat by the Buffalo, is how much land you have to grow. But short term, long term, it just wasn't the best move. Financially, it cost so much more for guaranteed short term profits of a lesser volume. Long term, the markets are no kinder to it than if we had opened a farm in Roam- Brae-Brae, rail lines don't come into existence over night, everypony should have known they were expanding," She laid a reassuring hoof on his shoulders, "Braeburn, it's fine to be proud. You're doing a great job. I'm sure Buffalo Run will turn out to be a great orchard," She took the hoof off, allowing the lie to appear earnest, "But at it's best, it just wasn't as good an idea as some others. Does this mean you need to leave or feel ashamed? No. It just means that when I ask for financial reports so I can understand the financial health of the whole family, send them since Buffalo Run is *the* most at-risk orchard we have," Caramel finished tenderly, her real concern now played out as she turned to Brown Betty, who escaped by talking to Granny. Well, Caramel wouldn't interrupt that conversation, and-

-Just then, as she was listening to Applejack prattle on her moralistic concerns, Caramel was taken in close by Applejack in a fierce grip. It wasn't as much aggressive or violent as it was just a way to make sure she stayed in place, which Caramel had little choice but to allow. Applejack was much, much stronger than Caramel and that was just her front hooves. While every Apple had a pair of competent hind legs, Applejack's was something of a legend. No, any scrap with Applejack would be a bad move unless she had some hard cider or salt. Then she fought like she did math, though her willingness to fight increased by several leagues. Yeah, she wasn't much of a threat then. But in the absence of hard cider or salt, Caramel was content with allowing it to pass. Soon, she had control over her own hooves and let Applejack end her point with a nervous laugh and math, Caramel brushing her neck out of habit.

"Well, nice to know that your hooves aren't any worse for the wear," Caramel said as she eased herself back into the conversation, "And charming to see your heart is in the right place. I agree with everything you've just said, Applejack, at least in terms of why we do this. Any Equestrian business exists to serve and for us, the family and the business are nearly one and the same. Thus, we serve them," She indicated the Equestrian masses with a sweep of her hoof. Hopefully, this set Applejack at ease for the next part.

"But what we did was not serve them the best way possible. You see, thanks to the rail lines and cargo airships and other such transportation methods, it almost doesn't matter where you place your orchard. Buffalo Run's apples, for example, can be sold in Roam just as easily as the land of the Griffons or Las Pegasus. The difference might be a slight increase in cost, but nothing terrible. A bushel that cost five bits in Las Pegasus might be six bits in Roam this way. But the price doesn't change from what it is now because our apple production is lowered across the nation more than it would have been otherwise, meaning that prices rise a tiny bit everywhere instead of by twenty percent in one location- a rich location that can afford it, mind you. See what I'm getting at, 'Jack?" She said as she picked up an apple and eyed it well. Healthy. Good. "If you think of the big picture, you help everypony. If you think small picture, then you can help some, hurt some, or hurt everyone. Raising the prices of apples three percent nationwide qualifies as hurting everybody and even after they stabilize and prices improve, the long term prices aren't any better," She finished her dry boring conversation by eating the apple and nodding.

"But yeah, I'll visit that orchard of yours Braeburn and Applejack, take your time with those reports," She said slyly as she smiled at the apple, "Because if I know two things in life, it's that Sweet Apple Acres turns a profit and it's apples are the best."

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

Apple Pie was scaring Apple Bloom, at least a little. Her robotic, hyper formal way of speaking wouldn't have been that off-putting normally, but the fact she tried to smile afterwards sealed the creepy deal. She had heard stories of possessed ponies who couldn't show emotion and Apple Pie's blatant fake smile told Apple Bloom that somepony was trying to trick her into thinking that Apple Pie was not under control. Apple Bloom took a step back as she ran over to the table and consumed some fritters- obviously not even possession could stop that famous Apple diet. Apple diet....they were at the Reunion! Why, everypony here must have been in grave danger. Apple Pie returned and looked right at Apple Bloom.

Her eyes lacked any spark, almost lifeless- a telltale sign of possession. Apple Bloom plastered on a wide, fake smile and took a heavy gulp as she examined her options. She had to get this thing away from her family. If the old pony's tale's were true, then at some point she would detonate like a bomb made out of ghostly vapors after the ghost had drained her of everything. It could then infect others and before you knew it, the entire apple family was possessed by ghosts! And what if it could transport itself through fruit?!

Images of a ghost-run world that eventually ended in one giant ghostsplosion danced in her head. She had to save Apple Pie- she had to save Equestria!

"Oh, uhh, yeah, Ah'll lead ya right ta tha clubhouse, hehehehe," She said weakly, not for a moment breaking the stare with Apple Pie as she backed up. When she had the distance, she turned and started a weak trot to the clubhouse. Maybe there was something in the books there, or maybe a swift paddlin' across the head would knock the ghost out.

They reached the clubhouse and entered.

"Apple Pie, why dontcha go ovathar next ta-" She began as a distraction before bucking the lever lock she had applied to the door. The door shut with a thud, "-that stack of books and see if ya can find somethin' with Daring Do," She continued, her eyes sweeping around the clubhouse in search of the paddle she had brought in recently. Once, it had been used on balls. Then, it was apples. Soon, it was going to be possessed Apple Pie's noggin.

Well, this was gonna prove to be interesting - his younger cousin was starting to demonstrate some of that keen apple attitude, and he couldn't blame her for being a little bit indignant about her position...it wasn't as though she had much chance to demonstrate her bucking in front of the whole family often, and he could see in her eyes that she was ready and chomping at the bit to have her chance to shine against one of the apple family's most known Applebuckers since Macs own pops.

" Well, Pinks... " He says with a dry smile as he watched her nose wrinkle a little at the sound of strudles tuba - he'd learned years ago to tune out the squawking of that instrument, maybe to even sometimes appreciate when it was actually close to a tune he even recognised. " Ah reckon ya'all should put the applebuckin' up front an' show us ya'all mean business - ah don't have any problem goin' up against a pony who's willin' to go all out such as what'ya demonstratin' here. "

He raised a hoof and seeks out a sturdy looking nearby tree...pointing at it with a small chuckle. " Ah think that'll do us nicely - Five bits in either direction, d'pendin' on who wins. "

And thus, it was time to seal the deal and make this whole thing official - Mac raises his hoof an' presented it in front of the mare...he knew enough abou tPink Lady to assume that she wasn't likely to be one to follow Applejacks style of spitshaking, and thus he kept it dry out of consideration for her. Of course, that didn't mean that a contest between the 2 apples was going to run prim and proper - they were farm folks at heart, and things had a tendency of gettin' turbulant in a heartbeat for such ponies...but that never meant that things like this ever really ended badly, it just meant that it was always more fun to watch for everypony else involved!

" Ladies first? " He asked, as he waits on her to shake - win or lose, this was going to prove to be very interesting to be a part of!

AppleBumpkin2withtextattmept2.png

With a sigh Apple Bumpkin turned back to the plate of food in front of her and began to eat a bit more.

" 'Ah just wanted ta tell ya bout this mare who 'Ah want ta be mah special somepony is all..." She trailed off knowing that Braeburn was busy so all of the fan girling would have to come later. She turned her ears towards Apple Cinnamon as she talked and made sure to listen very clearly to her as Bumpkin munched on a bit more of her food. She nodded every now and then and made a clear note in her head of each of the topics that she should talk about with this new pony.

"Well 'Ah think its a lot like a Saloon but a spa is more of like a place where ya go for a really fancy bath." She grinned and giggled as she thought about taking a certain mare to the spa on a date or something. Throwing that thought aside and saving it for later Apple Bumpkin pushed the plate closer to Apple Cinnamon. "Want ta share some food? 'Ah'm startin ta get really full and there is still a lot a food that hasta get eaten." She gave Apple Cinnamon a huge grin as she motioned towards the huge pile of food that was still there from all of the relatives bringing food to pass.

"Is there somethin ya wanted ta talk bout? Like somethin in specific?" She tried to sound as clear and 'fancy' as she said that but she knew that she was too much of a farmer to ever sound sophisticated and formal.

ApplePiebanner2.png

With a strange air of suspicion Apple Pie followed Apple Bloom into the club house and as the door slammed behind her Apple Pie jumped and meeped. She wasn't used to such loud noises, and what loud noises did happen around her was normally an apple tree falling over or the buffalo charging their way through the orchard to get some pie.

"But what pray tell, is the point of finding this book?" Apple Pie let her voice ride flat as the thoughts swirled in her head, she knew that something was up but then she also recalled that she didn't have to be formal around Apple Bloom since they were the same age!

" 'Ah mean, whatn be the purpose of findin the book?" She corrected herself trying to sound as enthoosed as she could about this book. It was still a huge strange mystery as why she even had such a big pile of books in the club house. But still not getting it Apple Pie moved over to the pile of books and started to look through them. It wasn't long before she placed her front right hoof on a book as it slipped out from under her and caused her to fall onto her back at what point she assumed the fainting goat position. All four hooves straight up from her body, eyes wide, mouth close, and still. She just laid there and tried to calm down as she swore that she had just seen her life flash before her eyes.

It didn't take a genius to know that there was something on Apple Bumpkin's mind other that of course the heaping plate of food in front of her. She saw that look before from other ponies she met: that deep thought on a pony's mind that seems to always be there no matter how much a pony tries to cast it aside or store it away.

"Well thank you fer the food, Apple Bumpkin. Ah' have to see now what ah' want to try first. As fer the spa, it sounds lovely! But how can a bath be fancy? Ah' mean ah' like a good bath as much as any pony to relax after a day, but there's nothin' special. Just water an' soap that's all. Anyway, ah' wanted to meet some of mah relatives startin with you since ah' found yer mah cousin'. But ah can see you have somethin' on yer mind. Do you want to talk about it? Ah'm a great listener and ah' may be able to help you at least by gettin' whatever it is off yer back."

Braeburn watched as Caramel continued to defend her point of view. He'd said his piece, and that'd be enough for him, normally. In his mind he knew that Buffalo Run would be an orchard all Apples could be proud of. Many were proud of it already; he just needed the time to prove it to those like Caramel. TO show, not talk, about why it came through. But a few things still ate at him - Caramel seemed to dismiss his knowledge, as if he was just some dumb hick, and ignored that he was personally involved in all the business elements she glossed over as unimportant... and also, just that it seemed to upset her so much, and he hated to see family members being all upset. He remembered the arguments back when he was planning Appleloosa with the family ... but he hadn't realized that Caramel was still upset about how things had turned out.

Oh, golly, he sure didn't want the *rest* of his family to hear him talkin' this way ... they'd tease him to no end. But if it kept things from a family squabble ... and made Caramel feel better ... then maybe it'd be worth it. He put his forehoof over Caramel's shoulders and quietly and quickly spoke, so that nopony else could hear. "Listen up, if'n y'all look at th' faimly as a business, then y'gotta look at the family not as a veritcal business but a horizontal one - which requires greater buy-in by th' employees else yer ROI goes down. Th' motivational aspect becomes not an additive but a multiplicative factor on th' books. If'n y'all look at th' standard business model, yer jes focusin' on th' benefits of cost vs. profit, but theah's more to a business model than th' red an' black. Th' costs due th' area are large, true, but th' payback comes by th' increase of th' channels available. Ah dunno what y'all have heard bout th' rails goin' in, but seein' as ah've been in th' plannin' meetings for those, and y'all ain't, then ah'd appreciate y'all not tellin' me that ah'm lyin' when ah say those rails wouldn't be goin' in if'n Appleloosa weren't theah. Ah'm sure a student ah' business like yerself can appreciation th' growth factors that new channels bring t'the profit generation section of a business model, even indirectly. Not t'mention, when y'all consider th' reverse transition of th' buy-in from customers, leadin' t' the increase ah sales with the perspective ah local clients, folks just buy more bushels when they see themselves as supportin' local ponies. Y'all know th' numbers on that an' ah'm sure y'all won't argue with yer own books, would ya?" He gave her a weak grin. "Ah don't want a fight heah, caramel - y'all know th' family would jump all over y'all fer seemin' t'care more bout bits than bout us. Save yer concerns an' we'll come up wi' a time later fer ye t' chaw with me bout yer worries without a dozen ponies jumpin' in on ya. An' ah do hope ah kin introduce ya'll t'ma new friend Maximilian Rockefilly." He did hope that name would appease her a bit. A financialy-minded pony like Caramel just *had* to know who one of the richest ponies in Equestria was!

He stepped away with a light little pat, hoping Caramel would be appeased with that for now. He'd really have to take some time soon to talk with her - she really was such a boon to the family, with her sharp business mind ... if she got too upset, the family had no idea how much it'd suffer!

Ah well. The goldenrod stallion then turned to Bumpkin, grinning broadly his ears perked up eagerly. "Now, lil' cuz' Bumpkin. What's this about y'all havin' a crush? Why, that's right sweet. An' here ah was hopin' t'talk t'Big Mac bout *his* crush. Three of us should get t'gether - y'know that Big Mac won't talk much bout his feelin's less we make him feel comfortable, right?" He gave Bumpkin a friendly nudge. "Then you kin tell us bout this mare y'all fancy, an' maybe he'll feel comfortable enough to tell us bout this local school teacher I hear he's been seein'! Can't wait t'hear bout yer special mare. Wanna know her name, how y'all know her, an' does she know y'all fancy her?" He grins. "Ah'm just thrilled fer ya, cuz!"

• Like 1