Magic the Gathering Libraries(decks) discussion

This is prior to a tune-up. More cards are in the mail.

Casual BU Ninjas

Creatures

4 Ornithopter

4 Signal Pest

4 Thalakos Seer

4 Mistblade Shinobi

3 Throat Slitter

2 Ninja of the Deep Hours

1 Walker of Secret Ways

1 Okiba-Gang Shinobi

1 Higure, the Still Wind

Tech

4 Mana Leak

3 Night's Whisper

3 Trickery Charm

3 Peel from Reality

2 Ronin Warclub

Lands

2 Waterveil Cavern

7 Swamps

12 Islands

Casual BU Ninjas

Ah, the ornithopters are an obvious choice, but I didn't think about signal pest. What an elegant one-drop for the deck. I must say, I get annoyed with my casual opponents who use shadow cards. It was annoying during tempest block, but at least you knew it was important to have an answer. Nowadays, they come out of nowhere. Although, they really aren't any worse than invisible stalker are they? I'm not a fan of him either. Are those in your group ok with it?

How does it play? I never tried out a ninja deck but it always looked so fun.

This is an interesting deck. It needs help, but it is challenging and fun to play.

Name: Carpe Diem

Colors: Red/Green

Format: Sloooooow casual multiplayer

Repeat Control Function:

4x Helm of Possession (key card)

2x Conquering Manticore

1x Bringer of the Red Dawn

1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

One-Shot Control Function:

4x Act of Treason

2x Word of Seizing

1x Grab the Reins

1x Insurrection

Sacrifice Function:

4x Magmaw

2x Ashnod's Altar

Deck Glue:

4x Llanowar Elves

4x Priest of Titania

2x Skyshroud Elf

2x Jade Mage

2x Mitotic Slime

2x Back to Nature

1x Naturalize

1x Desert Twister

12x Forest

6x Mountain

2x Gruul Turf

The goal is to steal your opponents mediocre creatures and sacrifice them to the helms in steal their good creatures. The deck is mana intensive, expensive, and no one lets a priest of titania sit on the board if they can help it. It rarely works well.

True but if the deck is 2 to 1 then you have to time the attack plus worry about their creatures and what other spells they have that might kill the alchemist after the first attack. It isn't worth it unless the blade is on a creature with trample or strong enough to survive being blocked, such as Grimgrin, or just use Geth to take creatures or artifacts with the mill.

That's why I don't attack with Undead. I never said that I would equip it to Undead Alchemist. I Never attack with Alchemist because of his weak toughness. Normally when I get it out, it goes on my Ruinator, or one of my tokens. What I mean was that the two are broken in tandem. And then With Memory Adept it's even more broken.

Ah, the ornithopters are an obvious choice, but I didn't think about signal pest. What an elegant one-drop for the deck. I must say, I get annoyed with my casual opponents who use shadow cards. It was annoying during tempest block, but at least you knew it was important to have an answer. Nowadays, they come out of nowhere. Although, they really aren't any worse than invisible stalker are they? I'm not a fan of him either. Are those in your group ok with it?

How does it play? I never tried out a ninja deck but it always looked so fun.

Shadow: Only one friend of mine has a problem with it, but nertz to him. And Invisible Stalker would work just as well, but I mainly play whats her face Seer because when she leaves play (includes back to the hand), I draw. And yeah, Signal Pest is serving me well so far.

Ninja doesn't win reliably, but it's not supposed to. It's a style deck, and darn satisfying when suddenly your Ninja has all three Ronin Warclubs equipped and is swinging for 8 unblocked. Most times I've played, my friends have just gotten blindingly aggravated by the tricks I'm pulling out of my plot.

• Like 1

That's why I don't attack with Undead. I never said that I would equip it to Undead Alchemist. I Never attack with Alchemist because of his weak toughness. Normally when I get it out, it goes on my Ruinator, or one of my tokens. What I mean was that the two are broken in tandem. And then With Memory Adept it's even more broken.

I'll agree with you on Jace he is very broken, but why run any skaabs, they force you to mill yourself to get your creatures to the grave, sure they're cheap, op, and all around fun, but they could get rid of your better creatures. When I made my skaab deck I used Ruinator too but I saw how bad it was without mad Scientist and scrapped it.

Some skaabs are good like the new 6 drop, but since white started grave and zombie hate I can't use a deck that runs self mill and expect to win.

Alright here is my favorite EDH, dubbed Grixis Discord

General: Nicol Bolas

Creatures

Darksteel Colossus

Deceiver Exarch

Sangromancer

Wrexial, the Risen Deep

Phyrexian Broodlings

Hoard-smelter Dragon

Echo Mage

Phyrexian Hulk

Chancellor of the Spires

Chancellor of the Dross

Sheoldred, Whispering One

Psychosis Crawler

Sturmgeist

Kalitas, the Bloodcheif of Ghet

Vein Drinker

Infectious Horror

Pestilence Demon

Anowon, the ruin Sage

Roil Elemental

Malfegor

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

Instants/ Sorceries

Archive Trap

Dark Ritual

Brimstone Volley

Slay

Countersquall

Urza's Rage ( a..k.a. Urza's Broklen Rage)

Comet Storm

Dark Temper

Recover

Prophetic Bolt

Terror

Increasing Vengeance

Rise from the Grave

Horrifying Revelations

Haunting Echoes

Plague Spores

Traumatize

Raise Dead

Mind Funeral ( ask Lux about when I used this card)

Silent Depature

Macabre Waltz

Artifacts/ Enchantments

Argentum Armor

Ivory Tower

Jar of Eyeballs

Citanul Flute

Blade of the Bloodchief

Goblin Charbelcher

Soul Conduit

Teferi's Puzzle Box

Font of Mythos

Golem's Heart

Mind Funeral

Black Vise

Phyrexian Processor

Call to the Grave

Splinter Twin

Inexorable Tide

Xenograft

Curse of Death's Hold

Bloodchief's Ascension

Underworld Dreams

Planeswalkers

Jace Beleren

Liliana Vess

Chandra Nalaar

Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Lands

Islands 11

Swamps 11

Mountains 11

This is a EDH troll that rarely wins but will keep the game going for a long time. The win conditions are Exarch + Splinter Twin, and Bloodchief's Ascension + Mind Funeral + Underworld Dreams.

I built this deck after I took apart my Nayan Life gain EDH with Rith the Awakener as the general.

Waiting to find a Tyrant of Discord for it to have even more fun with it.

Lands

Islands 11

Swamps 11

Mountains 11

I built this deck after I took apart my Nayan Life gain EDH with Rith the Awakener as the general.

Firstly, why so few mana sources? If you had any extra in the artifacts, I didn't see them. You've got about 7 too few. The deck has lots of fun cards, and many are quite expensive.

Also, is archive trap there to mill your opponent's or yourself?

Rith is my favorite general.

Firstly, why so few mana sources? If you had any extra in the artifacts, I didn't see them. You've got about 7 too few. The deck has lots of fun cards, and many are quite expensive.

Also, is archive trap there to mill your opponent's or yourself?

Rith is my favorite general.

This deck was made to be fun to play. That's why I don't use that many artifacts. The mana is evenly distributed between the three colors and is in a 2 to 1 ratio.

All the cards are to target opponets, why would I mill 13 of my own cards?

And I rebuilt Rith but it is only an attempt to make it like it was.

This deck was made to be fun to play. That's why I don't use that many artifacts. The mana is evenly distributed between the three colors and is in a 2 to 1 ratio.

I don't understand where everyone gets the idea that 2 to 1 is appropriate. It is an incredibly pervasive sentiment, and it is just flat out wrong. I have a deck that runs on 3 mana that only has 21/60 mana sources, but it doesn't need many since it has 26 cards with a converted mana cost of 1, and only a single card that costs more than 2. It should be thought of as a rare exception. I tried less mana and it didn't work because I missed my 3rd land drop too often. The baseline should be 40%, or 3:2 ratio. Look at the decks pros play: usually 24-28 land. Look at the theme decks and event decks designed by ex-pros: 24-28 land. I heard a developer joke about making a creature with the ability: "when this comes into play, if you are playing a 60 card deck with at least 24 mana sources, gain 5 life." The whole point was to lead people into effective deck design. Amusingly, I also spent much of my time stubbornly building 2:1 ratio decks for the first 5 years that I played magic. Now a days, I still like the aesthetics of 20 lands in a deck, but I probably supplement that with a playset of llanowar elves, or Birds of Paradise or the ravnica signets or anything to get back up to 24 sources. Do you want to go first and still hit your 4th land drop? You are going to miss it more often than not with 20 mana sources since the expectancy is to only have 3.33 of them, while it is 4.00 with 24 mana sources.

All the cards are to target opponets, why would I mill 13 of my own cards?

Most tournament viable mill decks win by milling themselves. I noticed that you had some resurrection spells and I was wondering if you ever milled yourself to help you resurrect a cool creature cheaply.

Weesh - Planeswalker Rat-Bunny WWGU4, 5

+2 Draw three cards, then choose and exile two cards from your hand.

-2 Exile target permanent.

-9 Return all exiled cards to play under your control.

White is definitely Weesh's primary color. And while he enjoys green, that does not fit. And while blue fits, he doesn't enjoy playing it.

Which abilities best exemplify Weesh? Flickering, tokens, equipment and cataclysm. Nothing synergistic comes to mind with those abilities though. Well, nothing that isn't way too similar to Elspeth Knight-Errant.

White is definitely Weesh's primary color. And while he enjoys green, that does not fit. And while blue fits, he doesn't enjoy playing it.

Which abilities best exemplify Weesh? Flickering, tokens, equipment and cataclysm. Nothing synergistic comes to mind with those abilities though. Well, nothing that isn't way too similar to Elspeth Knight-Errant.

Wrong. Weesh is green. It fits perfectly well. The splash of blue is because he's indecisive, hence the drawing of the cards and having to choose carefully what to keep and exile. The white, of course, because he's a believer of doing the right thing.

Wrong. Weesh is green. It fits perfectly well. The splash of blue is because he's indecisive, hence the drawing of the cards and having to choose carefully what to keep and exile. The white, of course, because he's a believer of doing the right thing.

Well of course Weesh is green. I know that because I am obviously Weesh. NO SHE ISN'T!

Blue is about cold knowledge, and turning that into power. Also, calculating the best path and then forcefully and cooling pursuing it. Weesh often weigh the consequences of both sides of an issue, and then, out of indecision, makes an emotional decision. Weesh has at least as much red in him than blue.

What about you rose? You are pretty community oriented, so you must have green or white in you. I would say green because it tends to just happen organically. You aren't forceful or rule oriented enough to feel white. I also see a lot of passion, artistry and excitement in you, and no color exemplifies that better than red.

An early attempt:

Rosewind, Joy Bringer - 3RG

Planeswalker - Rosewind

[+1] Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. That creature gains haste.

[-2] Proliferate

[-8] Deal damage to target creature or player equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on all creatures you control.

[4]

Ok, I'm not happy with the ultimate. It goes with the other two abilities, but doesn't fit your personality.

Rosewind, Joy Bringer - 2RG

Planeswalker - Rosewind

[+1] Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. That creature gains haste.

[-2] Proliferate

[-8] You and your friends win the game

[3]

Proliferate was the epiphany moment when trying to design your planeswalker. Note that proliferate used to cost [-1] until I realized that it fed itself.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I'm not too late to this thread! I've just recently started playing MTG.

Deck Name: Angel Flying Deck (Didn't really name it yet)

Colors: White

Format: Casual

Land (24)

Plains x22

Seraph Sanctuary x2

Creatures (21)

Cathedral Sanctifier x4

Knight Exeplar x3

Surture Priest

Puresteel Paladin

Acorder Paladin

Angel of Glory's Rise

Alabaster Mage x2

Herald of War

Soul Attendant

Emancipation Angel x3

Serra Angel

Hero of Bladehold

Doomed Traveler

Non-creatures: (14)

Honor of the Pure x2

Angel's Tomb x2

Solemn Offering x2

Soul Parry

Zealous Strike

Righteous Blow

Dispense Justice

Moment of Heroism

Safe Passage

Journey to Nowhere

Oblivion Ring

Planeswalkers (1)

Ajani Goldmane

I have a white deck that is fun to play. It's annoying for everyone that plays it, but it can be easily countered if you get the right cards early. AKA anything pro-white. The creatures are from memory, so this list may change once I get my deck from my car tomorrow

Creatures:

Mirran Crusader x1

Thrabon Century x1

Gideon's Avenger x1

Champion of the Parish x1

Grand Abolisher x1

Mausoleum guard x1

Herald of War x2

Assault Griffon x2

Griffon Rider x2

Geist Honored Monk x2

Sun Titan x1

Non-Creature Cards

Pacifism x4

Oblivion Ring x4

Arrest x4

Bonds of Faith x4

Angel's Feather x2

Honor the Pure x2

Cathar's Crusade, x2

Angelic Destiny

Throne of Empires

Crown of Empires

Scepter of Empires

Elixir of Immortality

Sword of War and Peace

Plainswalkers:

Gideon Jura:

Lands:

24 Plains

That's pretty much it.

I hope I'm not too late to this thread! I've just recently started playing MTG.

Welcome!

New to magic and yo already have the 40+% mana base figured out? Yay!

Personally, I like my white decks to have a higher creature to spell ratio, since white does small creatures and angels so efficiently. I'm a bit jealous of your hero of bladehold.

I have a white deck that is fun to play. It's annoying for everyone that plays it, but it can be easily countered if you get the right cards early. AKA anything pro-white. The creatures are from memory, so this list may change once I get my deck from my car tomorrow

Same thing, regarding the creature/spell ratio, but my jealousy is over the angelic destiny, planeswalker and the sword.

You have some great cards, but they are diluted when you play a deck of over 60 cards.

Also, 24 lands isn't enough with that many spells.

Try reducing the non-creature spells down to 20 total (without changing the number of lands or creatures) and you should notice a huge jump in the consistency and power of your deck. Star with removing:

*the empires trilogy. you have no way to tutor for them so completing the set is a long shot. Well, the throne isn't a bad card when it is solo, so maybe keep that one in.

*angel feathers. these are actually very weak.

*elixir of immortality. not so bad as the angel feathers, but your deck doesn't make use of this card very well.

*lots of the pacifism effects. White is better at swarming than removal. You are not playing to white's strengths, and you have too many.

I spent years tuning a pacifism deck, and eventually decided it just couldn't be competitive. I was always on the defensive, and it lost slowly all the time. I enjoyed playing it though because it was so annoying to my opponents.

That is exactly the purpose of it. If I'm going to play a deck because I want to cream something, I'ma grabbin' my Vamps. This is just a fun deck. Though BoF is quickly turning into one of my favorite cards. It's so versitile.

I'm a bit jealous of your hero of bladehold.

Haha, yeah that was my first mythic I pulled, which came from the deck builder kit. I also managed pulled a Sword of War and Peace from a blister but sold it cuz I needed the munnies. XD

Name: Spinx-Bone Wand Theme

Color: Green

Format: Casual Multiplayer

(1)4xSearch for Tomorrow, 4xChatter of the Squirrel, 1xMirri's Guile

(2)4xNature's Lore, 1xRegrowth

(3)4xGilt-Leaf Ambush

(4)4xElephant Ambush, 2xFresh Meat

(5)4xSprout Swarm, 2xOverrun, 2xWindstorm

(6)2xSpitting Image

(7)4xSphinx-Bone Wand, 2xHowl of the Nightpack

Again, the numbers in parenthesis show the casting cost of the cards in that row.

This deck can be fun to play, but it is slow, and you shuffle your library every damn turn.

The point is to put out chump blocking tokens while you set up the Sphinx-Bone Wand, and then start blazing away at your opponent with them. Many of the spells have buyback or flashback, so you often have plenty of spells. Lots of instants in the deck, so you can often pass the turn with many land untapped. Only 5 non-land cards fail to trigger the wands. And the lands trigger the wands once I get a Spitting Image into my graveyard.

Any thoughts?

Parallel Lives would be nice alternative in case that Wand would be taken care of. Be wary thought for Ratchet Bomb still can wipe your side of the board. Maybe Mr. Wildspeaker or Primal Hunter? Both are alternative win-cons and hate magnets which can provide vital against burn. One gives a nice ramp and second a very needed draw, both produce tockens. Vitality Charm may lack reusability but provide a nice options in case you would feel need switching to offense.

Other fun ideas are Cobra Trap, Baloth Cage Trap, Beastmaster Ascesion, Bestial Menace,Beast Within, Beacon of Creation, Isochron Scepter (may be hard as it is much sought card) and in case all fails classic Fog.